Connecting with Many Children from Many Cultures: Cultural Literacy @your library
Are you culturally literate? Do you know how to plan and promote programs and services for diverse populations of children and their families? In this interactive session, participants will explore their understanding of various cultures and discuss how to create culturally sensitive library programming that promotes cultural literacy and connects many children from many cultures.
- Participants will examine their understanding of various cultural groups and indentify personal cultural biases
- Participants will learn how to become culturally literate
- Participants will learn how to make their library welcoming to various cultural groups
- Participants will consider the necessary strategies for reaching diverse cultural populations of children and their families
- Participants will be able to identify strategies for planning programs that connect many children from many cultures
Who Should Attend
Children's librarians and library paraprofessional and support staff in public and school libraries who work with young children.
Jamie Campbell Naidoo is an assistant professor at The University of Alabama School of Library and Information Studies where he teaches courses in diversity, public libraries, and children's and youth services. A former youth services coordinator and elementary school librarian, he is currently serving as chair of the 2012 Pura Belpré Award committee and is director of the National Latino Children’s Literature Conference. He recently published the book Celebrating Cuentos: Promoting Latino Children’s Literature and Literacy in Classrooms & Libraries and is currently co-editing a book for ALA entitled Diversity in Youth Literature: Opening Doors through Reading.
Credits &/or CEUs
College credit nor CEU's are available at this time. Upon completion of the webinar an electronic certificate of completion will be sent to participants.
Interested in sponsoring this course? Contact Jenny Najduch, ALSC Program Officer, at the email or phone number above.
Recorded webinar: $25
This webinar is not taking place live; you are purchasing a recording of the webinar that took place in April. This recording is only intended to be viewed by the purchaser and should not be shared. The purchaser is not limited to the number of times he/she may watch the session.