Notes to the Task Force
The Task Force will meet during the All-Committee Meeting at Midwinter Meetings and Annual Conferences in 2017 and 2018 and be available throughout those events to serve as on-site resources for the committees (or just chairs in the case of virtual committees), attending any orientations and other meetings at which they can provide support. The Task Force should plan to meet virtually using ALA Connect, through conference calls, or through other Web-based meeting platforms (Adobe Connect) that may be scheduled through the ALSC office. The Task Force chair will also attend the Leadership and ALSC meeting and report on the Task Force’s work to the ALSC Board at the Midwinter Meetings and Annual Conferences during the term of appointment.
The Task Force also should note:
• This is a groundbreaking and complex endeavor for ALSC and the committees who will be doing this pilot work will need to be able to rely on this Task Force for guidance and support as they forge into this area of exciting organizational change.
• In this work the Board has called on membership to think outside of the box and be willing to embrace ambiguity as they blaze a trail with this pilot. The Task Force will want to demonstrate patience and understanding and also boldness and expediency in working with these committees, and to do so strategically and transparently.
• Issues may cross across more than one committee, even beyond these specific Digital Award committees, so it will be incumbent upon this Task Force to ensure the committees know they can reach out widely to, across, and beyond ALSC and to encourage communication.
• Each committee will have technology needs to be addressed, including but likely not limited to evaluation (all) and promotion (especially Notable Children’s Digital Media).
• The Task Force will likely wish to appoint members as specific point people for each of these three Digital Media Award committees.
• The Board’s approved definition of Digital Media is: Any real-time, dynamic, and interactive media content or product that is available via personal electronic device across multiple platforms that enables and encourages active engagement and social interaction while developmentally appropriately informing, educating, and/or entertaining.