Resources for parents and educators
Dealing with the American tragedy of September 11, 2001
The following materials were compiled to aid parents, teachers and caregivers in discussing with children and teens the terrorist attacks that took place in New York City, Washington, DC, and Pennsylvania on Tuesday, September 11, 2001.
- Brice, Carleen. Lead Me Home: An African American's Guide Through the Grief Journey. HarperCollins, 1999.
- Cappello, Dominic. Ten Talks Parents Must Have with their Children About Violence. Hyperion, 2000.
- Cohn, Janice. Why Did it Happen?: Helping Children Cope in a Violent World. Morrow Junior Books, 1994.
- Coloroso, Barbara. Parenting Through Crisis: Helping Kids in Times of Loss, Grief, and Change. HarperCollins.
- Emswiler, M.A. & Emswiler, J.P. Guiding Your Child Through Grief. Bantam, 2000.
- Grief: How to Help Children Feel, Deal and Heal. Michael Gold/The Corporate Image. Videocassette.
- Goldman, Linda. Breaking the Silence: A Guide to Help Children with Complicated Grief: Suicide, Homicide, AIDS, violence, and abuse. Accelerated Development, c1996.
- Grollman, E.A. Bereaved Children and Teens: A Support Guide for Parents and Professionals. Beacon, 1995.
- James, John W. and Russell Friedman. The Grief Recovery Handbook. HarperCollins, 1998.
- James, John W. and Russell Friedman with L Matthews. When Children Grieve: For Adults to Help Children Deal with Death, Divorce, Pet Loss, Moving. HarperCollins, 2001.
- Jewett, Claudia. Helping Children Cope with Separation and Loss. Harvard Common Press, 1982.
- Johnson, Joy and Dr. Marvin. Children Grieve, Too: Helping Children Cope with Grief.
- Lalli, Judy. Make Someone Smile and 40 More Ways to be a Peaceful Person. Free Spirit Publishing, 1996.
- Loftis, Chris. The Boy Who Sat by the Window: Helping Children Cope with Violence. Small Horizons Press, 1997.
- Lord, Janice Harris. No Time for Goodbyes.
- Monahon, Cynthia. Children and Trauma: Parent's Guide to Helping Children Heal. Lexington Books, 1993.
- Safe from the Start--Taking Action on Children Exposed to Violence. Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention, 2000.
- Simpson, Carolyn. Coping with Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder. Rosen Pub. Group, 1997.
- Staudacher, Carol. Beyond Grief: A Guide for Recovering from the Death of a Loved One. New Harbinger Publications, 1981.
- Van Praagh, James. Healing Grief: Reclaiming Life After Any Loss. New American Library, 2001.
- Zunin, Leonard M. The Art of Condolence: What to Write, What to Say, What to Do at a Time of Loss. HarperPerennial, 1992.