ALSC hosts quarterly online discussion sessions for members called community forums. These community forums are held on ALSC's web conference software, Adobe Connect. During the forum participants can chat live with members of the ALSC Board and the ALSC President. Members who cannot participate in the live chat can submit questions via email (Dan Bostrom, email@example.com) or Twitter (use the hashtag #alscforum). A transcript is also provided after the chat is finished.
Thursday, July 31 @ 1:00pm Eastern
Topic: demonstrating value in library youth services
Learn more about the July 2014 forum (ALSC members-only; ALA log-in required)
The ALSC Board of Directors and ALSC President Ellen Riordan will be hosting an ALSC Community Forum live chat on the topic of the evaluating value of children’s library services. In 2014 the ALA Emerging Leaders Team E submitted their report on demonstrating the value of library youth services to the ALSC Board of Directors. You can access this report under the Advocacy section of the ALSC Professional Tools site.
The following is a tentative calendar of forums which will be held in 2014-15:
- November 2014
- February 2015
Topic: adding STEAM to summer reading
Access the recorded webcasts from April 28 and 30 (ALSC members only; ALA log-in required)
Topic: the impact of poverty on library use by children
Access the recorded webcasts from March 2014 (ALSC members only; ALA log-in required)
Topic: new media in libraries
Access the recorded webcasts from August 20 & 21 (ALSC members only; ALA log-in required)
Topic: Caldecott 75th Anniversary
Access the recorded webcasts from May 9 & 14 (ALSC members only; ALA log-in required)
Topic: eBooks and children’s services
2/26 Community Forum Transcript (log-in required)
ALSC Community Forums hosted between 2011-2012 were held in ALA Connect. Transcripts are available for ALSC members. ALA log-in is required.
Accessing Upcoming Forums
Prior to the forum, ALSC members will receive an email with a URL link to the forum. Gmail users: please check your "Promotions" tab. Many ALSC emails go to this filter, so please check for it there. These emails will contain a direct link to the live forum. Once you've selected the link, please follow the directions for using Adobe Connect (see below). Only ALSC current ALSC members will receive an email.
Using Adobe Connect
ALSC is now using Adobe Connect for to host its Community Forums. Adobe Connect is an easy-to-use web conferencing software that includes video and chat features. For more information on how it works, the Adobe website has a quick overview.
- Prior to the forum, ALSC members will recieve an email with a URL link to the forum.
- When you click on the link, it will give you the option to enter as a Guest, and you will be prompted you to enter your name. After entering your first and last name, please click “Enter Room.”
- Please do not enter the meeting room until 15 minutes before the forum is scheduled to begin.
- Prior to the forum, you can test your connection with Adobe Connect.
- Emails will only be sent to personal ALSC members. As these forums are a benefit to members, ALSC asks that you do not share the link with anyone else.
- If you do not receive an email from ALSC, please contact the ALSC office, by phone, 800-545-2433 ext 2163 or by email, firstname.lastname@example.org