Submission Process for the Pura Belpré Award
How to submit books for consideration for the Belpré Award:
- Review the terms and criteria for the award.
- Please download and complete a Submission Form for each entry.
- Mail one copy of the book and a completed submission form to the ALSC office (ATTN: Belpré Submission, 50 East Huron, Chicago, IL 60611-2795).
- Mail one copy of the book and a completed submission form to the Cultural Competency Consultant (Oralia Garze de Cortes, ATTN: Belpré Submission, 1901 Running Brook Dr., Austin, TX 78723).
- Mail one copy of the work and a completed submission form to the award committee chair. Address information can be found on the Submission Form
- ALSC membership is not a requirement to submit your work and there is not an entry fee for the Belpré Award.
The ALSC office requests that one title be mailed to the ALSC office and one copy to the committee chair. Standards are in place for the committee members to review and share submissions. If you are submitting to be considered for multiple awards, please send a copy to each award chair, but only one copy needs to be sent to the ALSC office
Neither the ALSC office nor the committee chair can confirm receipt of submissions. If you would like to confirm receipt of your submission please use a mailing service with delivery confirmation. Submissions that are dropped off in-person to the ALA/ALSC office will not be accepted.
The ALSC office cannot answer eligibility questions or advise on which award your submission is eligible for. It is up to you to review the terms and criteria and if you feel you qualify, submit as appropriate. Eligibility is determined by the committee and their discussions are confidential.
The book and media awards are announced each year at ALA’s Midwinter Meeting in January. The materials received by the ALSC office throughout the year will be used for ALSC’s Bookapalooza Program. The Bookapalooza Program selects three libraries to receive a Bookapalooza collection of these materials to be used in a way that creatively enhances their library service to children and families.