(Mildred L.) Batchelder Award Submission process
How to submit books for consideration for the Batchelder Award:
- Review the terms and criteria for the award.
- Please download and complete a Submission Form for each entry. Note: As part of a pilot program for the 2016 Batchelder award year, the committee is accepting e-book submissions.*
- Mail one copy of the book and a completed submission form to the ALSC office (ATTN: Batchelder Submission, 50 East Huron, Chicago, IL 60611-2795).
- Mail one copy of the book and a completed submission form to the award committee chair. Address information can be found on the Submission Form.
- ALSC membership is not a requirement to submit your work and there is not an entry fee for the Batchelder Award.
The ALSC office is only requesting for one copy to be sent to the ALSC office and one copy to the committee chair. Standards are in place for the committee members to review and share submissions. If you are submitting for multiple awards, only one copy needs to be sent to the ALSC office.
Neither the ALSC office nor the committee chair can confirm receipt of submissions. If you would like to confirm receipt of your submission please use a mailing service with delivery confirmation. Submissions that are dropped off in- person to the ALSC office will not be accepted.
The ALSC office cannot answer eligibility questions or advise on which award your submission is eligible for. It is up to you to review the terms and criteria and if you feel you qualify, submit as appropriate. Eligibility is determined by the committee and is confidential.
The book and media awards are announced each year at ALA’s Midwinter Meeting in January. The materials received by the ALSC office throughout the year will be used for ALSC’s Bookapalooza Program. The Bookapalooza Program selects three libraries to receive a Bookapalooza collection of these materials to be used in a way that creatively enhances their library service to children and families.
Deadline for submitting books is December 31 of the publication year.
*For more information about the 2016 Batchelder Award E-book pilot program, please view the press release.