Host Applications for the Arbuthnot Honor Lecture
Apply to host the 2014 Arbuthnot Honor Lecture featuring Andrea Davis Pinkney:
The 2014 May Hill Arbuthnot Honor Lecture committee is now accepting online applications for the 2014 Arbuthnot Host Institution! Applications and supporting materials will be due by April 22, 2013.
- Please do not fill out and submit the application until you have all the necessary materials to complete your application.
- If you would like to review the application before submitting electronically, you can use the May Hill Arbuthnot Application Word document.
There is no single factor that prevails over any other factor in selecting the host institution for the Arbuthnot Honor Lecture. Rather, the committee charged with the selection responsibility will consider a combination of factors, including:
- Reasons for application. Special reasons for applying such as particular interest in the work of the lecturer; an applicant’s expression of the educational goals of his or her community; a special celebration, etc.
- Site. The relation of a potential site to places and institutions that have previously acted as hosts with an emphasis on identifying varied sites from all of North America.
- Facilities. The appropriateness, both in terms of capacity and accessibility.
- Administrative support. The organizational and administrative capabilities of the person or group submitting an application evident in the enclosed proposed budget, and partly manifested in the presentation of the application itself.
- Cooperation with other organizations. The extent to which meaningful cooperation among various local or area groups would suggest an ability to share responsibilities as to personnel, time, and money needed to cover local expenses.
- Lecture visibility. Emphasis on the lecture as a distinctive event publicized to and open to all potential attendees in the region is a priority for each Arbuthnot Lecture.
Announcement of winners:
The selected host site will be announced via a press release on the ALSC Web site shortly after ALA Annual Conference in June.