CRS Committee and Interest Group Reports, Midwinter 2014

Acquisitions Committee

The CRS Acquisitions Committee met on Saturday, January 25, 2014, at 8:30 a.m. The committee discussed the upcoming program at ALA Annual 2014: “Articles on Demand: Two Perspectives.” Lianne Taylor offered to learn more about new articles-level purchase model through ReadCube, being piloted by Nature and University of Utah, as a potential third speaker. (Note: Mark England of the University of Utah was contacted following the meeting and added a third speaker, with the name of the program changed to, “Articles on Demand: Library Perspectives.”) The committee discussed what will need to be done for publicity of program, and how to perform evaluations. This work will continue through email during the spring.

The committee also brainstormed about a possible ALCTS e-forum on “Alternative Methods of Content Acquisition” for this spring or next fall. Kristin is gathering names of potential moderators to contact. Finally, the committee brainstormed about programs for Annual 2015, and would like to organize something around licensing, tentatively titled, “New Needs in Licensing,” which could cover the wider variety of formats and methods of providing content, such as streaming media, self-hosting, gaming, Text and Data Mining (TDM), and datasets. One idea for a speaker is Stephanie Wright at the University of Washington. Committee members will keep their eyes and ears open this spring for additional ideas.

—Reported by Kristin Martin

Committee on Holdings Information

The committee met on Saturday, January 25, 2014, at 8:30 a.m. The committee confirmed arrangements and last minute details for our presentation that afternoon [Holdings Forum] (when, where, note taking, a/v, etc.)

Discussed potential speakers for Annual Conference in Las Vegas. We will try again to get Terry Reese to talk about MarcEdit and holdings functionality in OCLC WorldCat. We also plan to invite Regina Reynolds from LC to talk about ISSN and holdings, and a member of the Committee on Institutional Cooperation to discuss holdings matters for large print or digital repositories.

—Reported by Kevin Furniss

Continuing Resources Cataloging Committee

The committee met on Saturday, January 25, 2014, at 8 a.m. It was noted that the committee has not been assigned an intern for this term. (Information later became available that the Nominations Committee did not have sufficient volunteers to assign interns to the CRS committees, this term; it was not a change of policy or procedure)

The committee had a relatively short meeting; they approved the minutes from ALA Annual 2013, then reviewed the program to be presented at the Monday Forum. A presentation by George Prager and Bob Maxwell will precede the usual updates as one of those speakers needs to leave early. Ed Jones will speak last on the program, on the past, present, and possible future of serials cataloging.

The committee resumed discussion of possible topics for the Continuing Resources Forum at the 2014 ALA Annual in Las Vegas, and determined to pursue a concept previously identified: a panel of experts on bibliographic and authority work in RDA, in Question & Answer format. Peter Fletcher was invited to represent expertise in the area of subject analysis on this panel; other experts will be identified and invited to participate. It was agreed that the question and answer format works best if a few questions have been readied to stimulate discussion; members will discuss, select, and assign a few, before the conference.

Bonnie Parks reported that her committee plans a forum on http://www.schema.org and ISBD punctuation. Peter Fletcher reported on the progress of RDA Series documentation; draft documentation is being finalized and will be reviewed by the Standing Committee on Standards and PCC Policy Committee before it is posted on the Cataloger’s Learning Workshop web page. Recommendations that have already been submitted to the Policy Committee for consideration may result in changes to the draft, which will be identified as a “Preliminary Edition” so that it can be posted without further delay while the Policy Committee deliberates. Paul Frank indicated to the working group that it is important to get something posted for catalogers to work with, even if it is not yet in final form.

Adolfo Tarango, section liaison to CC:DA, reported that the proposal from the German National libraries to alter the title proper in cases where the record is successive entry but there has been a minor change in the title was analyzed. CC:DA determined that the difference in preference between Anglo-American and German practice on this point is in fact a display issue that could be solved to everyone’s satisfaction with leading indicator values similar to those already in use for publisher information in the 264 field, and recommended pursuit of that solution. A request from the ISSN centers that CC:DA consider formulating an exception to the ‘first five words of the title’ rule for certain languages with orthography that does not observe word boundaries was returned to ISSN for development as a formal proposal. Cathy Glennan has asked CC:DA to study an apparent contradiction in the RDA instructions concerning the preferred source of series numbering, and an itemized list in preference order will be issued. The MARC Advisory Committee has asked CC:DA to consider development of leading indicators for the 588 field, to take advantage of display constants that may be helpful.

The liaison to the committee from the CRS Executive Committee reminded the group about a recent charge to add documentation to the committee’s Connect space about the committee’s activities and procedural matters, noting that incoming chairs can be helped if documentation is not skimpy or missing. Some committees also have confidential documentation for current members’ eyes only, and any left from a previous term should be trimmed away. (This is not an issue for CRCC, but Ulrichs Jury Chair Bonnie Parks agreed that this has been a problem on the Connect space for other CRS section committees).

—Reported by Kurt Blythe

Education, Research and Publications Coordinating Committee

The committee met on Saturday, January 25, 2014, at 8:30 a.m. There were three items on the agenda, including a review of two projects that have recently been completed, planning for our program at the ALA Annual Conference, and a discussion of how to generate interest in publishing with ALCTS.

A video project defining and describing the concept of a “continuing resource” was completed earlier this month (coordinated by Nanako Thomas). A link to the video on YouTube is available on the ALCTS webpage, in the free webcasts section. We plan to look into also getting a link on the CRS website to the video. Another project, involving work to set up links from the CRS webpage to the ALCTS author’s guide, was also completed this month (coordinated by Dana Tonkonow and Cathy Weng). The CRS Executive Committee approved the links and the ALCTS office staff is in the process of creating a block, called “Authors Needed!” in the right column of the CRS webpages, with a link directing one to the author’s guide.

We reviewed plans for our committee’s program at ALA Annual, which is scheduled for June 28 from 3 to 4 pm. The topic is: “Discovering Open Access Articles: Maximum Access, Maximum Visibility!” Three speakers have been invited to cover different aspects of the topic. Heather Staines, who is coordinating the program, recently had a virtual meeting with the ALCTS program planning committee and reported that everything is on track. She is in the process of contacting other ALA groups to be potential co-sponsors for the program.

The final item discussed pertained to generating interest in publishing with ALCTS. One idea was to do a survey to find out how authors decide to publish in certain journals and what attracts them to these publications. We could then work to improve the ALCTS publications in these areas. We could also work with LRTS to see if there could be a special issue devoted to serials. We plan to contact the ALCTS Publications Committee to coordinate sending out calls for publications.

—Reported by Mavis Molto

Executive Committee

The committee met on Saturday, January 25, 2014, at 9:45 a.m. ALCTS President Genevieve Owens and President-Elect Mary Page briefed the Executive Committee, committee leaders, and representatives on ALCTS Division-level activities and decisions, including the fact that LRTS will become an online-only publication starting in 2015.

Discussion of ALCTS-wide Standards Committee, chaired by Jacquie Samples: for the first six months, it will determine its stakeholders and methods of communication with the sections.

Committee and IG Updates

See their full committee reports for further information. Midwinter forums are scheduled, Annual program plans are in the works. Education, Research and Publications Coordinating Committee has made website updates and a video, in addition to programming activities. The section’s two award recipients (First Step Award and Ulrich’s Serials Librarianship Award) have been selected, and publicity is forthcoming.

Planning Ahead for the Section’s Activities

We discussed developing a survey for CRS members to see what gaps there might be in what CRS currently offers its members. The discussion turned to the ALCTS-wide survey that was circulated in September 2013, which very few people at this meeting actually saw. We discussed the need for better publicity strategies for this type of survey, and we should consult the survey results to see what has been done already. Selina Lin, representative to ALCTS Planning Committee, will distribute the survey results to us. We will call a teleconference sometime in March to prioritize and form action items on the short-term and long-term goals of the section.

Eleanor Cook reported on the activities of the ALCTS Advocacy and Policy Committee, of which she is a member. There was discussion of a potential collaboration between the ALCTS Advocacy and Policy Committee and CRS to design a program that highlights how Technical Services “makes the magic happen” in maintaining e-resource access. Planning will continue in the spring.

—Reported by Rebecca Kemp

Standards Committee

The Standards Committee met briefly Saturday morning before heading over to the Convention Center to set up for the Standards Forum, held at 10:30 a.m on Saturday, January 25, 2014. Initial discussion centered around the role of our group and the newly formed ALCTS Standards Committee. Discussions with Jacquie Samples, chair of this new group, highlighted the need to identify all standards group and work together to define each of our roles. We also discussed the need to for iterative communication across these groups.

Committee members also discussed possible topics for the forum at ALA annual. These included a focus on one of NISO’s recommended practices; the recommended practices for demand-driven acquisitions were of particular interest to the group. The committee will discuss the forum topic for annual further by email.

The Standards Committee also sponsored the ALCTS Continuing Resources Standards Forum: Predatory Publishing and the ISSN Center’s response, which was held Saturday at 10:30. To begin the forum, Nettie Lagace (Associate Director for Programs, NISO) provided a short update about the new/updated Recommended Practices for PIE-J, KBART, and Open Discovery Initiative (ODI). Following this update, the session program focused on predatory publishing. Rick Anderson (Associate Dean for Scholarly Resources & Collections, University of Utah) provided an overview of the concept of “predatory publishing,” explaining the background, the manifestations of predation that are out there currently, and some of the controversies surrounding Jeffrey Beall’s list of predatory publishers. Regina Romano Reynolds (Director, U.S. ISSN Center and head of the ISSN Section, Library of Congress) followed with a discussion of how the U.S. ISSN Center and the international ISSN Network are dealing with this issue. The session was well-received by attendees and lively discussion occurred throughout. Approximately 40 people were in attendance.

—Reported by Maria Collins

Access to Continuing Resources Interest Group

The interest group met on Sunday, January 26, 2014, at 3 p.m., and approximately five people attended.

Present: Penny Lochner, Muhlenberg College; Virginia Dearborn, Princeton Theological Seminary; Valerie Bross, UCLA; Kevin Furniss, Tulane; Selina Lin, University of Iowa.

We discussed what issues we each are having around access to continuing resources. The discussion included:

  • Communicating standards (KBART, Pie-J) to publishers and why standards matter
  • Do people still use the catalog (including people in the library)?
  • What’s the role of public services in access and how can technical services help them more?
  • The need to communicate tips and tricks in finding information within a library and more widely as a library community
  • Transfer titles
  • Alumni access
  • Changing URLs
  • Hard to make the case for tweaking the record when there is a reduced workforce
  • Who should handle what part of a question about access
  • Prioritizing work

After discussing each of these ideas, we decided that for the next program the interest group provides, should be about “What is a continuing resource, and why should anyone care?” There were no takers for co-chair.

College and Research Libraries Interest Group

The interest group met on Sunday, January 26, 2014, at 8:30 a.m., and approximately 50 people attended. This 90-minute session focused on the topic “Supporting the New Ecosystem of Publishing at Teachers College Library,” presented by Brian Hughes, Director of Design at EdLab and Associate Director and Laura Costello, Materials Management/Acquisitions Librarian both of the Gottesman Libraries, Teachers College, Columbia University.

The speakers shared their various efforts in publishing through Teachers College Gottesman Libraries’ EdLab. EdLab “is a research, design, and development unit which envisions and pilots knowledge projects for a fundamentally different education sector that is attuned to the emerging post-industrial, information-based world.” These efforts include the publication of Teachers College Record, hosting Open Journal Systems, production of their institutional repository called PocketKnowledge, exploration into experimental publishing initiatives such as New Learning Times and blog hosting on their WordPress installation called Pressible. A complete list of EdLab initiatives can be found on their website. To assess their efforts, they use the APIs for five of these tools to feed into a data dashboard. In addition, they found that social media strategies such as people sharing via Twitter and Facebook have been more successful than paying to promote services through Google Ads.

After the formal presentation, a lively discussion followed. Data collection and assessment, staffing levels, and search engine optimization were of particular interest. Teachers College Gottesman library has about twenty-five full-time and twenty-five part-time employees. Their work with EdLab is in addition to other various duties. Among other things, they help users understand how to use WordPress/Pressible and how to use keywords to optimize discovery.

—Reported by Doralyn Rossmann