Division Committee and Interest Group Reports, Annual 2014

Affiliate Relations Committee

The ALCTS Affiliate Relations Committee (ARC) staffed a table at ALCTS 101 on Friday evening, June 27, 2014. Attendees were interested in learning more about the ALCTS affiliates and getting contact information for local groups. Those seeking new jobs and anticipating relocation appreciated that ARC maintains a national directory of ALCTS affiliates. The opportunity to be active in state or regional professional associations, and to gain experience applicable to future national-level appointments, was appealing to those unable to commit to national conference attendance at this time. ARC looks forward to participating in future ALCTS 101 events, both virtual and in person.

The third annual ALCTS Affiliates Showcase, highlighting programs presented at state, regional, or local meetings, was held on Saturday, June 28, 2014. The two presenters selected this year were:

  • Amber Billey (Cataloging/Metadata Librarian, University of Vermont), speaking on “Time Management for Wearing Many Hats.”
  • Cyrus Ford (Special Formats Librarian,University of Nevada, Las Vegas), speaking on “Streaming Videos for Libraries: A Quick View from Ordering to Cataloging and Access.”

The committee met on Sunday, June 29, 2014 at 1 pm. Two ARC members volunteered to coordinate the 2015 ALA Annual Conference Affiliates Showcase and prepare a short list of possible presenters in time for the committee meeting at Midwinter 2015.

Further discussion concerned reassignment of affiliates following committee turnover; updating the Directory of Affiliates and the committee’s ALA Connect space, as needed; making the Connect space allocated to the affiliates more welcoming and usable.

Reported by Elaine Franco

Budget & Finance Committee

The ALCTS Budget & Finance Committee met on Sunday, June 29, 2014 at 2:30 pm. Executive Director Charles Wilt presented a review of the FY14 Actual Budget, and the proposed FY15 Final Budget. The major action for this meeting was a review, discussion, and vote for approval of the proposed FY15 Final Budget. This budget was approved and presented to the ALCTS Board on Monday, August 30, 2014.

Vicki Sipe gave a report on the ALA Planning and Budget Assembly. This body and its role continue to be under discussion and in transition. Members were asked to attend an additional ALA information session on the ALA Budget. The Assembly meeting focused on discussion of several topics, among them: ALA strategic initiatives, ALA strategic planning for publishing, and the Center for the Future of Libraries. At the 2015 ALA Midwinter Conference, the assembly will be broken into small groups to discuss ALA strategic initiatives.

Charles Wilt opened the discussion on the FY14 numbers made available prior to the meeting. As of the end of April, revenue is down from budget predictions, but expenses are down as well. The net result is that we are about $6,000 in the black. On the revenue side, membership dues are declining. Subscription and conference registration revenues are down. Webinar and web course revenues are strong and over budget. Donations are over budget. On the expense side, personnel costs are over budget due to increased salary and benefits. Though not included in the FY14 budget, they are accounted for in the FY15 proposed budget. Overhead contribution is under budget due to lower registration numbers. Exhibits for Preservation Week booths are under budget, but this is primarily due to the billing cycle.

Charles presented the proposed FY15 Final Budget. Notable changes from last year include the reduction in expenses related to the LRTS transition to e-only, and money allocated for expenses related to the Executive Director search. The budget for LRTS includes one final print issue, so some print expenses remain, but the final net for LRTS is positive for the first time in years.

Charles gave a brief presentation on preparation for the FY16 budget. The process will be accelerated next fiscal year due to the anticipated transition to a new Executive Director.

Ending the meeting, ALCTS President Genevieve Owens and President-Elect Mary Page spoke to a joint gathering of Affiliates Relations Committee and Budget & Finance Committee about the search for an Executive Director.

This spring, the chair of the ALCTS Fundraising Committee was added as an ex-officio member of the Budget & Finance Committee. This meeting was the first where the Chair of Fundraising attended in that capacity. The incoming members of the committee and the incoming intern also attended.

Reported by Vicki Sipe

Continuing Education Committee

The ALCTS Continuing Education Committee met on Sunday, June 29, 2014 at 1 pm. Chair Felicity Dykas reviewed the activities of the past year. This was a successful year with 28 webinars, nine e-forums, and multiple sessions of our web courses. Offerings covered a wide variety of topics including RDA cataloging, music cataloging, collection evaluation and assessment, massive open online courses (MOOCs), patron-driven acquisitions, management, electronic resources, plus many others. We discussed comments from participants and how we might use some of these to improve what we offer. The many, many positive comments were encouraging and confirmed that we are providing valuable forums for continuing education and discussion.

Julie Reese, ALCTS office liaison, previously sent information about registrations. As of mid-June, registration for webinars for FY2014 was 3,389 individual and 317 group registrants. There were 400 registrants for web courses. Kristin Martin reported that the number of e-forum subscribers for the year ranged from 3,707 to 3,931.

A new web course, Fundamentals of Cataloging, will be piloted the summer.

Incoming Chair Maria Pinkas reviewed plans for 2014-2015. Plans include continuing to build relationships with other ALCTS divisions and committees by soliciting input from them for topics and presenters. Two new subcommittees, Web Development and Web Production, will better distribute work in these two areas. Web courses are scheduled and some e-forums and webinars are already in place.

Felicity thanked the 2013-2014 committee members for their hard work during the past year. Without active members, the committee would not have accomplished as much as it did.

Reported by Felicity Dykas

Fundraising Committee

The ALCTS Fundraising Committee met on Sunday, June 29, 2014 at 1 pm. The committee discussed the end of year wrap-up of activities and donations in the ALCTS Fundraising Tracking Spreadsheet for 2013-2014 (FY 2014). The committee was very pleased to announce that the committee and the Preservation Working Group (PWG) met their fundraising goals, raising 115% of last year’s cash donations, or $19,000. Including the in-kind donations of $810.50 from PWG and the committee’s fundraising efforts, the total cash and in-kind donations is $19,810.50, 107% of last year.

The committee then reviewed the donation activity in FY 2014 for ALCTS programs and events, including preservation donations, as well as general fundraising activities.

The committee also reviewed the following:

  1. The Donations Levels document - The committee adjusted the minimum donation levels and revised several of the Level benefits.
  2. Ms. England gave a summary of her report discussed at the ALCTS Division Chairs meeting: final donation summary, donation levels, and future ALCTS Fundraising Advisory Group (see below).
  3. Ms. England plans to submit a proposal to form an ALCTS Fundraising Advisory Group to the ALCTS Executive Board and Board by October 2014. She will propose to chair the group once her term on this committee ends on June 30, 2015.
  4. Ms. England received praise from both the ALCTS Executive Director, Charles Wilt, and President, Genevieve Owens, on the committee work this past fiscal year.
  5. Ms. England will work with Ms. Vermeer on how to plan out the upcoming fiscal year (2014-2015), including the donation assignments. They met at ALA Annual Conference to do some initial planning.
  6. Ms. England met with the ALCTS Executive Director Charles Wilt to review fundraising matters for the upcoming fiscal year.
  7. Ms. England and Ms. Vermeer met with and thanked potential and current donors at ALA Annual.

Reported by Lenore England

Library Materials Price Index Editorial Board

The ALCTS Library Materials Price Index Editorial Board met on Sunday, June 29, 2014 at 4:30 pm.

  1. Minutes
    1. Minutes of the meeting at the 2014 ALA Midwinter Meeting were distributed to the members via email prior to this meeting. There were no corrections or additions.
  2. Announcements and additional items for agenda
    1. It was announced that Narda Tafuri’s term as LMPI Editor has been renewed for a final three years. George Aulisio has been made Assistant Editor, to ensure that there is a smooth transition when Narda leaves this post.
    2. Off-prints of the committee’s article have been made available to ALCTS members at the ALCTS booth in the Members Room located near the Exhibit Hall. Narda distributed copies of the offprints to the board members that attended the meeting. She will mail copies of the offprints to those members unable to attend.
  3. Update on indexes
    1. Stephen Bosch and Kittie Henderson were congratulated on their recreation of the U.S. Periodical Price Index. They will begin looking at the title list they used for this index in July, when most pricing has been set, to make sure that the index can continue without major adjustments.
    2. It was noted that another new index, Table 8A, Average Price of Online Serials, has been published in this year’s article.
  4. New Business
    1. Fred Lynden had proposed that the board review resetting the index date for the tables. He suggested that we look at when the CPI was reset. The current CPI is indexed to 1982-84. The “market basket” of prices used has been set to 2009-10. Lynden’s suggestion was discussed by those board members present. The consensus of the group was that it has been an unwritten process that when you begin an index, you set the base year. The base year remains the same for the “life” of the index unless it is necessary to reconfigure the index due to a change in data or a change in the source of the data. Indexes naturally have a way of resetting the base year due to changes in the industry. Several of the tables in the article have already had their base years reset due to these reasons.
    2. The board discussed ways of promoting the new indexes contained in our article. It was decided that Narda will write an article for the ALCTS News. She will distribute the article to the board members for corrections/changes prior to submission.

Reported by Narda Tafuri

International Relations Committee

The ALCTS International Relations Committee met on Sunday, June 29, 2014 at 1 pm. The committee reviewed the two-part program presented at the 2014 ALA Annual Conference, “International Developments in Linked Data,” and discussed possible topics for future programs and forums. Possibilities include international collaboration among smaller countries, BIBFRAME/RDA, and ebook production/use outside the US. We reviewed the year’s work on the Online Course Grant Awards, and noted that next year’s courses will include Fundamentals of Cataloging.

The committee discussed the pros and cons of not meeting at ALA Midwinter conferences. While we are no longer expected to meet then, and many members cannot attend, the committee felt that spontaneity and a freer exchange of ideas is missing when work is done primarily by email. In the coming year, the committee will explore the use of online spaces for meetings between annual conferences.

David Miller, who has been chair of the IRC for four years, rotates off the committee after Annual Conference, as do members Aiping Chen-Gaffey and Paul Hover. Qiang Jin is the incoming chair. Much of the discussion during this meeting centered on possibilities for future work, including a refreshed survey of international members, the idea of writing short survey pieces for the ALCTS News, and a review of the committee’s charge. Miller offered his perspective on the committee’s greater visibility within ALCTS during the past half-dozen years, as compared with much of its earlier history. Finally, the committee was visited by ALCTS President Genevieve Owens and President-Elect Mary Page, whose remarks highlighted the enhanced culture of philanthropy in ALCTS, and the crucial search for a new Executive Director to succeed Charles Wilt.

Reported by David Miller

Leadership Development Committee

The ALCTS Leadership Development Committee met on Sunday, June 29, 2014 at 1 pm. The committee organized an e-forum and a subsequent program on virtual leadership. Other activities of the committee included:

  • The committee selected the ALCTS-supported Emerging Leader.
  • The committee mentored an Emerging Leaders group on their project of social media usage in ALCTS.
  • The committee has scheduled this upcoming year’s chair orientation webinars for September 2014.

Reported by Donia Conn

Library Resources & Technical Services (LRTS) Editorial Board

The LRTS Editorial Board met on Sunday, June 29, 2014, 10:30 am-12 pm.

1. The agenda was reviewed, and accepted as distributed.

2. The minutes from the 2014 ALA Midwinter Meeting in Philadelphia were accepted as distributed.

3. Mary Beth Weber reviewed her midyear report, which was distributed in advance. A total of eight papers were submitted for the period of January 12-June 1, 2014, as compared to the same period last year which saw 20 submissions. As a point of reference, there were 11 submissions for the same period, January 1-June 1, 2012. Two additional papers were submitted in June after the report was distributed.

Weber proposed an idea to Charles Wilt for a cover art contest for the launch of e-only LRTS in 2015. The contest will be open to the ALCTS leaders, who may share it with ALCTS members since there’s not a comprehensive list for current ALCTS members. The cover art selected will be featured on LRTS volume 59, nos. 1-4.

Weber discussed with Charles Wilt the possibility of exploring new publication models for papers in the e-only environment. She asked if a small group would be willing to look at different publication models that might be considered. These models would be used as a trial, and wouldn’t replace the current publication model.

Weber discussed making the LRTS website easier to navigate and more user friendly with Charles Wilt and Christine McConnell. We are constrained by some of ALA’s requirements for web pages. A suggestion was made to conduct a usability study of the web page that could be extended to a group external to the LRTS Editorial Board.

Andrew Hart, Sian Brannon, Phil Schreur, and Lynn Wiley are rotating off the Board. Book Review Editor Norm Medeiros and ALCTS News Editor Alice Pearman will also be leaving the Board. Forrest Link, Brian Quinn, Lori Robare, and Sherry Vellucci will join the Board.

4. Norm Medeiros (LRTS Book Review Editor) summarized his report, which was also distributed in advance. He has drafted procedures for Elyssa Sanner, his successor, and the two of them will work on the transition during the next two months.

5. ALCTS Staff Liaison Christine McConnell was available to answer questions about e-only LRTS, etc. The topic of pushing usage statistics back to authors and showing the top downloaded articles was discussed. This can be done, but MetaPress makes the process very labor intensive. McConnell is looking into this issue.

Suggestions related to moving to e-only LRTS included:

  • Publicizing the change on ALCTS’ Twitter and Facebook accounts.
  • Taking advantage of the new format to add features such as the ability to comment on papers. Comments would need to be monitored to avoid spam or inappropriate posts. This could have the added benefit of attracting potential LRTS authors.
  • Providing abstracts of papers in the ALCTS News.
  • The new format might attract new types of advertisers, such as library schools.

6. Ideas for encouraging submissions and members’ activities to solicit submissions were discussed.

Reported by Mary Beth Weber

Membership Committee

The ALCTS Membership Committee met on Sunday, June 29, 2014 at 1 pm. Evaluation of ALCTS 101 2014: The committee discussed the ALCTS 101 event held the previous Friday evening and made recommendations for improving the event next year. Turnout was strong, with more than 70 newcomers and veterans in attendance. There were many lively and productive discussions during the speed-networking event. Recommendations for changes included a slightly longer timeframe for each table (10 minutes) with fewer switches, posting handouts online in advance, developing tips for veterans, exploring an earlier time slot, and requesting a location near the exhibit hall again. An evaluation form will be sent to all participants who gave contact information on the sign-up sheet.

Follow-up on Emerging Leaders Team D (template for virtual ALCTS 101): EL Team D submitted their final report immediately before the Annual Conference. The Membership Committee’s and ANMIG’s next step is to prepare an executive summary and recommendations for the ALCTS Board. As most committee members had not been able to fully review the report before conference, discussions of the report will continue on the committee’s e-mail list and with ANMIG leaders.

Plans for the 2015 ALA Midwinter Meeting: The committee tentatively agreed to hold an optional face-to-face meeting at Midwinter in Chicago, with a required virtual meeting shortly after the Midwinter Meeting.

Promoting member engagement: The committee decided to pursue the “Ask ALCTS” (working title) idea from those submitted to the ALCTS Board for promoting member engagement. Art Miller will take the lead. The committee also discussed the possibility of setting up an opt-in email list for ALCTS members. President-Elect Mary Page asked us to outline a proposed structure and plan for a discussion list for the Board. We plan to submit this in fall 2014.

ALCTS President Genevieve Owens and President-Elect Mary Page reported on the ALCTS executive director search, the new open access statement, and priorities for the coming year, including participation in ALA’s strategic initiatives planning process.

The committee held a brief joint meeting with the ALCTS Leadership Development Committee. Each committee discussed its 2014 Emerging Leaders projects and exchanged ideas on plans for the coming year. Mentoring is a possible area of collaboration for these two committees.

Reported by Susan Wynne

Monograph Editorial Board

The ALCTS Monograph Editorial Board met on Saturday, June 29, 2014 at 4:30 pm. Members reported on the status of the publications they were working on and the timing for completion.

  • The book on standards will have the final chapter submitted July 15, after which it will come to the committee for final review in three weeks before sending to ALCTS office for copy editing and publication.
  • The book on linked data will have a September 1 deadline, with an expected publication date of Spring 2015.
  • The shared repository book will have a deadline review of the proposal by July 7, with the first draft due December 1 for a March 1 final manuscript submission.

While this is an aggressive schedule members felt it was workable.

A new possible topic was AV materials on such topics as copyright, streaming video rights, faculty use.

It was agreed to suggest new members for the committee from all current members. Randy Roeder was bid a farewell with thanks for his work on the committee.

Reported by Jeanne Drewes

Organization & Bylaws Committee

The ALCTS Organization & Bylaws (O&B) Committee met on Sunday, June 29 at 12:30 pm.

Discussion topics:

1. Review of Acquisition Section (AS)

Several comments were made by O&B committee members on the self-review report submitted by the section.

Action items: Solicit comments from Division-level committees according to the ALCTS Section review policy. Comments to be received by August 1, 2014. After receiving comments from Division-level committees, O&B will meet with Executive Committee of the Acquisition Section virtually before the 2015 Midwinter Meeting to discuss its self-review report and comments from other divisional-level committee. Time of the virtual meeting to be determined.

2. Review of Publication Committee

O&B unanimously recommended Publication Committee to continue, but the committee needs to provide details on the proposed change in its charge to the ALCTS Board of Directors in a timely manner.

3. Scheduled Committee and Interest Group reviews for 2014-2015

Renewal form is to be sent to Budget & Finance Committee, Leadership Development Committee, Electronic Resources Interest Group, and New Member Interest Group. Responses are due back by September 30, 2014.

4. Review of Continuing Resources Section (CRS)

O&B is going to solicit Division-level committees’ input for the CRS review. Question to be asked: “Three most relevant pieces of information about the Continuing Resources Section that you can tell me for its evaluation.” The question is to be sent to chair(s) of DIvision-level committees and responses are due by December 12, 2014.

Reported by Lucas Mak

Planning Committee

The ALCTS Planning Committee met on Sunday, June 29, 2014 at 1 pm. We discussed ALA’s three initiatives. They are Advocacy, Information Policy, and Professional and Leadership Development. The ALCTS Executive Board has asked the committee to evaluate what activities and accomplishments of ALCTS fit into these initiatives. To complete this request, committee members will review conference reports for all ALCTS committees and interest groups at both the division and section level. They will also review the ALCTS website. For each strategic area, committee members will suggest what success would look like, how we might get there and how ALA and ALCTS might help us get there. The committee’s report to the ALCTS Executive Board is due on September 15, 2014.

The committee will revise the ALCTS Strategic Plan once the new ALCTS Executive Director is in place.

Reported by Meg Mering

Program Committee

The ALCTS Program Committee met on Saturday, June 28, 2014 at 8:30 am, and again on Monday. Co-chair Susan Davis shared an update on the Program Review Taskforce (PRT) which has had a change in leadership. Betsy Simpson will be chairing this taskforce. The taskforce will resume its work later in the summer.

One topic that rose from the PRT was the “conflict” between the “program-like” offerings from interest groups (IGs) versus the formal programs that are vetted through this committee. IGs were intended to have flexibility and take advantage of it to plan sessions with a much shorter timetable and fewer deadlines.

Co-chair Reeta Sinha asked for reports on ALCTS preconferences and shared the positive feedback from the Fundamentals of Collection Assessment preconference where she was a co-presenter.

The other preconferences went well, and all had more than 20 registrants. Registration for the virtual preconferences did not fare as well, although Creating Successful Scholarly Communication ended up with 16 individuals and 12 groups. Some lessons learned from the virtual preconferences: develop a cheat sheet for virtual preconferences similar to the one the Continuing Education Committee uses for webinars; there is a need for more rigorous practice runs; broader marketing is needed.

The committee talked about topics for future preconferences. Perhaps a hands-on Basic Book Repair series would be popular. ALCTS has a license for the appropriate software to support a video presentation.

We need to plan for one in-person 2015 ALA Midwinter symposium, one virtual symposium, and probably no more than two in-person preconferences and two virtual preconferences for the 2015 ALA Annual Conference. The committee talked about when to schedule these. Is right before conference too busy? Is right after conference slow because of the 4th of July and summer vacations?

Sinha and Davis suggested some new roles for members of the committee. It seems as though we need someone focused on marketing and promotion. Clair and Kelsey volunteered to work on this assignment. The co-chairs also thought that forming a sub-committee to focus on virtual symposia and preconferences. No one has yet been appointed to chair this sub-committee.

The co-chairs and Julie Reese are working on a task calendar to help keep deadlines and other projects on track and preparing a checklist for committee program liaisons. Feedback from the PRT and planners has already resulted in improvements to the “How to Plan an ALCTS Event” website, and we hope to receive more from the evaluations we will be sending to program planners.

Heard a report from ALCTS President Genevieve Owens and President-Elect Mary Page about ALCTS accomplishments over the past year and future directions. Owens reminded the committee to attend her president’s program with Dr. Jennifer B. Kahnweiler and the ALCTS Awards Ceremony later on Saturday. Page will be overseeing a new ALCTS strategic plan for 2015.

The Committee met with several program planners regarding 2015 ALA Annual Conference programs for San Francisco at both the Saturday and Monday meetings.

Monday - Sinha offered an idea from the ALCTS Advocacy and Policy Committee for a Midwinter symposium about “What does scholarly communication mean?”

Section representatives mentioned several potential proposals in the works.

Reese updated the Wufoo form to automatically forward proposals to the entire committee, not just the co-chairs.

The committee will likely have one meeting at Midwinter Meeting for the entire committee on Saturday. The Monday time slot will be reserved for the co-chairs and Julie Reese to work on committee administrative matters.

Reported by Susan Davis

Publications Committee

The ALCTS Publications Committee met on Sunday, June 29, 2014 at 1 pm.

Virtual preconference 2015 Midwinter Meeting - The Publications Committee will pursue the idea of a virtual pre-conference proposal for 2015 Midwinter focused on the research and publishing process with the tentative title of “How an Idea Becomes a Publication.” Mary Miller (Vice-Chair 2013/2014 and Chair 2014/2015) will contact the ALCTS Program Committee.

Committee Charge Revision - The process of the review and revision of the committee’s charge will resume with the formation of a new Charge Revision Subcommittee. Dracine Hodges agreed to continue on the subcommittee.

Possible Mentoring Program - The establishment of a mentoring program was considered again. Dina Giambi reported that there was support for a mentoring program expressed by a number of attendees at the ALCTS 101 event held on June 27. The turnout for the event was one of the best that she had seen. Other groups within ALCTS that have a mentoring program will be contacted.

Institute for Research Design in Librarianship (IRDL) - Dracine described the IRDL that is managed by Loyola Marymount University Library, San Jose State University School of Library and Information Science, and the Statewide California Electronic Library Consortium. It has been funded by a three year grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Studies. The twenty-five participants might be potential authors for ALCTS. The Publications Committee should consider partnering with the IRDL’s Mentoring Program. The “Publish with ALCTS--Publication Topics” list will be shared with the IRDL. The participants include new librarians as well as librarians new to research.

Public Relations Subcommittee - The Public Relations Subcommittee has developed boilerplate information for newbie and veteran authors. The resulting two flyers will be distributed.

“z687: Creating the Future of Technical Services” Article on Patron Driven Acquisitions at the Chicago Public Library - Three librarians from the Chicago Public Library have written an article for “z687: Creating the Future of Technical Services.” Christine McConnell shared that the first part of the article will be published on the ALCTS web site as soon as the authors make some requested changes. Dina suggested that it would be an opportunity for the Publications Committee to organize a session featuring the authors at 2015 Midwinter in Chicago. Mary Beth Weber mentioned that the Public Libraries Technical Services Interest Group meeting might be an option.

Rebecca Mugridge Named ALCTS News Editor - Alice Pearman, outgoing editor, reported that she will be succeeded by Rebecca Mugridge.

E-only Library Resources & Technical Services (LRTS) - Mary Beth reminded everyone that LRTS will become e-only with the January 2015 issue. Repeated notices will be sent out about this change. A photo contest is expected to be conducted for the inaugural issue. The artwork from libraries that has been a traditional feature of the front cover of each issue will be continued and submissions from libraries will be solicited. The impact on institutional memberships due to the move to e-only is unknown.

Discussion list of All ALCTS Members - Christine said that the creation of a discussion list for all ALCTS members is being pursued.

ALCTS Publications - According to Christine, the monograph Guide to Ethics in Acquisitions will be the first true e-publication issued by ALCTS. ALCTS is using the IngramSpark Print on Demand service for ALCTS publications. ALCTS will work with authors who request that their content be placed on their institution’s repository. Jeanne Drewes reported that the authors of the ALCTS Monographs volume on linked data have a September 1 due date for their chapters. The Monographs volume on standards will have thirteen chapters and is expected to be published by the end of 2014. Alice stated that ALCTS’ position on open access is posted on the ALCTS resources page, and will be published in the ALCTS News.

Search for New ALCTS Executive Director – ALCTS President Genevieve Owens and President-Elect Mary Page joined the meeting to describe the search process to identify a successor to ALCTS Executive Director Charles Wilt who is retiring in February 2015. Applicants and nominations for the position are welcome.

Reported by Dina Giambi

ALCTS Interest Groups:

Electronic Resources Management Interest Group

The ACLTS/LITA Electronic Resources Management Interest Group met on Saturday, June 28 at 10:30 am. The IG presented four speakers bringing diverse perspectives on open access to a group of about 28 attendees. The speakers were Beth Bernhardt, Assistant Dean for Collection Management and Scholarly Communication, University Libraries, University of North Carolina at Greensboro (UNCG); Brett Bonfield and Ellie Collier, founding editors of In the Library with the Lead Pipe; and Athena Hoeppner, Electronic Resources Librarian, University of Central Florida.

Beth Bernhardt opened the session with a presentation about becoming an open access library. This goal can be achieved by integrating advocacy of open access publication into the roles and responsibilities of the entire library staff. While Bernhardt’s role is to steer the library toward greater adoption of open access, each area of the library has responsibilities that support this goal. Liaison librarians, who work in teams, promote the institutional repository, help faculty members select reputable open access journals, promote author rights, and work with faculty to incorporate open access materials into their courses. Technical Services areas manage membership payments, coordinate payment of author fees via UNCG’s open access authorship fund, integrate open access materials into the catalog, and create metadata for the institutional repository. Bernhardt also coordinates a library scholarly communication committee as well as a university-wide faculty scholarly communication committee. Finally, she supports all of these activities by training staff and creating educational materials to promote open access.

Brett Bonfield and Ellie Collier discussed the founding and ongoing production of In the Library with the Lead Pipe. This peer-reviewed open access journal was founded seven years ago by a small group of librarians. Inspired by Code4Lib Journal, the founders wanted to combine the rigor of an academic journal with the readability of a blog. They found that open access fit their values and allowed them to distribute the journal for free in perpetuity. They also decided against assigning volume and issue numbers, since traditional enumeration didn’t fit with their every other Wednesday publication schedule. Collier explained the open peer review process, in which an internal Lead Pipe editor guides the article through the entire process. Each author also selects an external reviewer. Google Docs is used throughout the entire writing process in order to facilitate conversations between the author and reviewers and to make the review process more transparent to everyone involved. Bonfield discussed the process of getting Lead Pipe indexed in the Directory of Open Access Journals and in EBSCO. He also talked about their future plans for the journal, which include publishing all future articles with a creative commons license, assigning DOIs to articles, working with CLOCKSS, and improving the process of making articles available to EBSCO and DOAJ (Directory of Open Access Journals).

Athena Hoeppner spoke about raising the visibility of open access content using EBSCO Discovery Service (EDS) and Ex Libris’ SFX link resolver. This work is part of Hoeppner’s role providing discovery support as part of UCF’s scholarly communication program. Within EDS, Hoeppner created OneSearch Unlocked, which allows all users to search for free and open access content. She also created an open access version of UCF’s SFX reader site by creating a custom A to Z menu. This creates a list of open access articles, which then populates the EDS search. In addition to these search tools, open access articles are marked with a special icon. The goal of these projects is to promote awareness of open access on campus, with a focus on bringing this message to faculty members.

Reported by Kate Silton

FRBR Interest Group

The ALCTS FRBR Interest Group met on Friday, June 27, 2014 at 10:30 am; approximately 75 people attended. Kelly McGrath discussed issues with FRBR as applied to moving images. For some things, such as popular motion pictures, FRBR works well, but for other moving images, such as videos of stand-up comedians, documentaries, and news programs do not lend them as well to the classic FRBR model. She posits that perhaps we need to look at the classic FRBR model and instead of interpreting FRBR at the front end, during the cataloging process, we should look at how FRBR can be applied at the “back end” and then work the cataloging process backwards to adapt FRBR to how it will be used by the end user rather than “plugging” the item into the FRBR orthodoxy.

The second speaker was Jacob Nadal, who discussed how FRBR impacts preservation issues. Some things to consider are how do we treat the scanned image; at what point does it become a work vs. a manifestation and what about error rates; if the error rate during the conversion process is too high, is it now a new work or just an adaptation of another work. This was highlighted using the various versions of Star Wars Episode IV, where the movie has been released multiple times. Under FRBR each should be considered a new work or at the very least, depending on the release, a new manifestation of the original work; most users would not think of it that way. He concluded with the thought of how much time should we devote to providing access to our archival version vs. the original version, considering why the original version so valuable, if at all; is it because of its content or because of its form? The Guttenberg Bible was the example used.

Reported by Jeremy Myntti

Library Code Year Interest Group

The ALCTS Library Code Year Interest Group held an event during their session on Saturday, June 28, 2014 at 1 pm; approximately 40 people attended. It was called Technology Speed Dating, and entailed six experts on different topics placed around the room. Participants spent seven minutes with each expert, then rotated until they had been to all of them. The topics included: MakerBot, MongoDB, WordPress as library websites, hardware and libraries (Raspberry PI etc.), Islandora/Drupal, and Python script example as code use for solving techie reference questions especially for faculty research. Everyone wanted more time in the end, so it was a very successful, fun event for both the attendees and the experts. For the remainder of the time, a group discussion was held about code literacy, what it means, why it’s important, and how to foster it and prepare people, especially kids.

This is a joint LITA/ALCTS group, but we hardly have participation from the ALCTS side, so that may be something to reconsider with the renewal coming up.

Reported by Emily Flynn

Linked Library Data Interest Group

The ALCTS/LITA Linked Library Data Interest Group hosted an all-day preconference; co-hosted two sessions entitled “International Developments in Library Linked Data: Think Globally, Act Globally;” and hosted a IG-specific session featuring a talk by Jon Phipps. Below is a description of the preconference. The Library Linked Data sessions were covered by an ALCTS News reporter and can be accessed from the “All Those Programs You Missed”: http://www.ala.org/alctsnews/reports/ac2014-programs

The preconference “Practical Linked Data with Open Source,” was held June 27, 2014, and was sponsored by LITA and organized/hosted by the ALCTS/LITA Linked Library Data Interest Group. The preconference schedule was posted before the event at http://connect.ala.org/node/224435. 65-75 people attended the preconference.

After introductions, Dan Scott began the day with a brief talk “Structured data for libraries: RDFa and schema.org,” followed by a set of codelabs attendees worked on for about 75 minutes, followed by a 15 minute talk, “Structured data in the wild.” Dan Scott’s slides accompanying the talks and his codelabs can be accessed at http://stuff.coffeecode.net/2014/lld_preconference/.

Following a break, Galen Charlton delivered his talk, “Hybridizing MARC: Using Linked Data in Your ILS Now.” Slides that accompanied this talk can be found at http://connect.ala.org/node/225971.

This took us to lunch, where attendees were encouraged to stay and continue working on Dan Scott’s exercises. Dan also provided 2 additional exercises for lunchtime “keeners” who stayed in the room to work: “A short demonstration in Python of how to crawl a sitemap and extract RDFa from library catalogues” and “a codelab showing how to create a Google Custom Search Engine over library catalogues enriched with RDFa + schema.org.” About 40 keeners worked on these. How did they nourish themselves? Richard Urban picked up some pizzas! As in the first set of codelabs, indefatigable presenters circulated around the room in case there were questions.

After lunch, Richard Urban delivered a talk, “Linked Data Patterns for Libraries, Archives, and Museums.” Slides that accompanied this talk are available at https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3881880/LODpreConf.pdf. During the talk, Richard introduced the LODLAM protopattern wiki at http://lodlampatterns.org/protopattern. Attendees were asked to consider LD problems unique to LODLAM and start considering creating patterns that address those problems. To facilitate this, tables engaged in a two-part discussion; first, tables had a problem discussion; second, tables had a solution discussion. Results of each discussion were reviewed by all, led by Richard Urban. The main problem that emerged from the tables was reconciling and managing faculty identities; other problems included: managing thesauri; linking to entities using entity URIs, especially as part of a cataloging workflow; turning text strings to URIs; making descriptions about a resource adhere; and locating available expertise at the local level. The solutions discussion wrap-up centered around solutions to the main problem of faculty identities, during which most of the discussion focused on authority and trusted sources of data. Richard Urban reminded us of LD’s open world assumption, where it is assumed we cannot know all about all at any given point, meaning our representations are incremental. Richard Wallis encouraged all to take authority from wherever/whenever we see fit, and not to be overcautious. Also the role of metadata/provenance metadata/named graphs was emphasized in the area of trust and authority. Finally Dan Scott approached solutions to mapping MARC to schema.org; his table discussed implementation issues in this area, such as clarifying the value of a MARC fixed field using values in a MARC variable field to create accurate schema.org descriptions.

The next portion of the preconference broke attendees into nine tables, each with a topic to discuss. Jodi Schneider’s notes on the discussion -- taken during the event -- are available at http://connect.ala.org/node/226231. The following is another description of the nine tables:

  1. How to start a linked data project, facilitated by Sylvia Southwick. This was the most populated tabled. Discussion included: the importance of cleaning data sets, the importance of having a data model, the idea of just doing your projects -- don’t even tell administrators -- and producing protoptypes. Specific tools discussed included the use of Open Refine for reconciliation and the Europeana Data Model.
  2. The real benefits of LOD, or the business case for LOD, facilitated by Richard Wallis and Sarah Quimby. This was the second most populated table. The business case included the success of the Bibliothèque nationale de France redesign, the phenomenon of businesses making widespread use of LD, the success of Columbia University’s use of schema.org in their digital repository, the ease with which authority data can be auto-updated using LD, and how the BIBFRAME model provides an excellent answer to the need to edit a record hundreds or thousands of times.
  3. Disambiguating resources, facilitated by Kevin Ford. This was the third most populated table. Identifiers were discussed at this table. ISBNs and the quality of data were engaged. The importance of the provenance LOD cloud was emphasized.
  4. Getting items into websearch, facilitated by Dan Scott. Discussion included republishing data, HTML/RDFa as a quasi-stable structure, and the complication of mapping when the property “sameAs” is not accurate or sufficient.
  5. Enhancing MARC data, facilitated by Galen Charlton. Focused on what we can do now, for example, plugging in URIs where applicable, as that will improve the transition to RDF and BIBFRAME.
  6. Striving for change. Discussion included the search for innovators among current staff; the role of LD in bridging our many repositories (catalog, finding aids, digital collections, etc.); how to bridge diverse vocabularies; combining theoretical knowledge with IT; a challenge to the concept of triples and ideas on how to go beyond the triple in conceiving of LD.
  7. Enhancing/reconciling/enriching non-MARC metadata, facilitated by Theo Gerontakos. Discussion included the role of ontologies and schemas in LD; reconciliation as a formidable task (Open Refine and Silk Server were discussed as reconciliation services); how to reconcile LCSH strings to URIs and the role of FAST; the role of xml databases in tech services workflows and, by extension, in LD workflows; and whether or not LD can play a role in managing ETDs and/or IRs.
  8. Teaching LD, facilitated by Richard Urban. Discussion focused on LD in the LIS curriculum. The lack of teaching materials was noted. The role of coding and programming in the schools was engaged. Queries into what schools are actually doing in regards to integrating LD were posed.
  9. Visual images. Discussion probed the nature of visual image data, as at least a LAM issue -- perhaps a LODLAM issue -- and raised concerns about images as metadata, and the general problem of “having metadata” as opposed to “being metadata.”

After the round table discussions, Jodi Schneider closed the day with a talk “How Can Structured & Linked Data Serve Users?” Slides that accompanied this talk are available at http://connect.ala.org/node/226233.

The Interest Group meeting was held on Sunday, June 29, 2014 at 8:30am. Approximately 60 people attended. Sarah Quimby started the session with some information on the LITA/ALCTS Linked Library Data Interest Group:

  • We have a new co-chair, Violeta Ilik, Semantic Technologies Librarian at Texas A&M University Libraries.
  • The two-year term of the previous co-chair, Theo Gerontakos, has ended; Sarah Quimby will continue as co-chair for another year.

Jon Phipps delivered a presentation, “RDA FTW or WTF.” Slides that accompanied the discussion are available at http://connect.ala.org/files/ALA%20LITA%20Presentation.pptx. This was a remarkable talk that covered many topics, including:

  • Jon’s history of metadata standards
  • notions on the open world assumption of RDF
  • a description of the global web of data as a “brain” that only knows what we tell it
  • Anglo-American Centrism in software development
  • RDA’s effort to NOT be Anglo-American centric
  • reflections on diverse requirements for semantics and cross-cultural linking in global metadata
  • lots of thoughts on MARC21: its limited syntax, its rich semantics achieved through committee with frequent requests from “below,” how MARC21 is very bad with FRBR, how its semantics is unfortunately tied to its syntax, how it’s hard to extend, and how it cannot be locally extended without local pain
  • the importance of the RDA data model (based on FRBR and DCAM), formalized in 2013
  • opaque identifiers in RDA RDF (supporting RDA’s commitment to cross-cultural semantic alignment)
  • lexical aliases to make RDA opaque identifiers easier to work with
  • unconstrained RDA RDF (no domain or range constraints, assists cross-domain mapping)
  • RDA’s use of git/GitHub, rdaregistry.info, and the Open Metadata Registry (OMR)
  • some problems with BIBFRAME (discards MARC 21 semantics, redefines existing properties, redefines frbr:work, ‘borrows’ semantics from RDA without reference, discards FRBR semantics, unique approach to frbr:work, proprietary approach to MARC 21 mapping)
  • some problems with schema.org (oriented toward global search engines, redefines frbr:work, hard (not impossible) to extend, constrained by limitations of HTML-based container, hard to map, hard to translate, lack of instructions, ‘unique’ approach to frbr:work, proprietary approach to MARC 21 mapping)
  • some problems with RDA (lots of cruft from AACR2 and MARC 21, minimal community involvement in development of the data model, strong commitment to FRBR)
  • MARC as our shared single point of view; linked open data is forcing the consideration of multiple points of view
  • recommendation: harvest globally: “be conservative in what you do, be liberal in what you accept from others” (RFC 793)
  • recommendation: process locally: aggregate, validate, map and cherry-pick
  • recommendation: publish globally: use many standards, be consistent, be precise, make data “knowable.”

Jon’s talk required the full session; there was no discussion, even though the session was advertised as a managed discussion, as is usually done by the IG. However this was somewhat by design. Sarah and Theo had requested table rounds to facilitate discussion; when we arrived in the room, we saw we did not have tables but simply chairs facing front. Sarah and Theo suggested to Jon that maybe he could speak a little longer than originally planned? Jon complied! Thank you, Jon! However, had Jon left, say, 20 minutes at the end of the session, surely we would have managed a “lively discussion” as promised, but the co-chairs, when all was done, felt the extended talk was the best of all possible results.

Reported by Theo Gerontakos

Metadata Interest Group

The ALCTS Metadata Interest Group met on Sunday, June 29, 2014 at 8:30am. The first part of the Metadata Interest Group meeting featured two presentations. Sai Deng, Metadata Librarian and Associate Librarian, University of Central Florida Libraries, presented “Metadata Migration to Islandora: Is There An Easy Way?” Nicole Arbuckle, Vice President, Metadata Services, Backstage Library Works and David McKnight, Director, Rare Book & Manuscript Library, University of Pennsylvania, presented “Discovering Isaac Leeser: Improving access to text collections with TEI markup.”

Slides from both presentations can be found on ALA Connect: http://connect.ala.org/node/226038

The remainder of the meeting focused on business details. Reports were provided by the programming co-chairs, the blog coordinator, and the LITA, CC:DA, and MLA liaisons. There was also an open discussion on ideas for future programming.

Elections for MIG officers were completed. The results were:

  • Ayla Stein (Vice-Chair, July 14, 2014, to June 30, 2015)
  • Liz Woolcott (Program Co-Chair, July 14, 2014, to June 30, 2016)
  • Anne LePage (BLOG Coordinator, July 14, 2014, to June 30, 2016)

Reported by Maureen Walsh

New Member Interest Group

The ALCTS New Member Interest Group presented ALCTS 101 on Friday night, June 27, 2014 7-9:30 pm in the Las Vegas Hotel adjoining the conference center. The room was abuzz with conversation as more than 70 attendees tried their luck at a different kind of Vegas table at ALCTS 101 on Friday night. These other Vegas tables were staffed by established ALCTS members, or “ALCTS experts,” instead of dealers and were organized around topics to help new members learn about ALCTS – its structure, its sections, volunteer opportunities, and the benefits of membership within the division. Attendees had the opportunity to move amongst these ten dedicated tables, to ask questions of the experts, and to dialogue with each other. Light refreshments were served and door prizes were awarded to lucky winners. The evening went smoothly and by all accounts was successful and helpful.

The speed networking portion of the evening was prefaced by remarks from President Genevieve Owens and President Elect Mary Page. Both gave well-received remarks about how they got involved with ALCTS and its positive effect on their careers. Mary Page, responsible for upcoming appointments in the 2014-2015 cycle, encouraged new members to fill out the ALCTS volunteer form. Concluding the formal remarks was ANMIG’s Student Liaison member, Jacob Ineichen, who introduced the ALCTS photo scavenger hunt and gave some tips and clues to help people start competing for some great prizes.

The evening concluded with a short ANMIG business meeting during which the new chairs officially assumed leadership and met with new officers and those interested in volunteering with ANMIG in the coming year. Anyone interested in the activities of ANMIG can learn more via the interest group’s ALA/ALCTS webpage: http://www.ala.org/alcts/mgrps/ig/ats-ignmbr

ALCTS 101 is a joint effort between the ALCTS New Member Interest Group (ANMIG) and the ALCTS Membership Committee with the support of the ALCTS Office. We thank everyone who was involved for their time and effort to make the event a success.

Reported by Emily Sanford

Public Library Technical Services Interest Group

The ALCTS Public Library Technical Services Interest Group met on Saturday, June 28. The meeting was chaired by Michele Zwierski; there were approximately 22 attendees.

A new chair was selected (Caroline Saccucci, Library of Congress)

The topic for discussion was RDA and how public library catalogers are managing the changes to their workflows and their catalogs. Topics included: keeping or not keeping the GMD (and the impact it has on searching); format icons; RDA conversion projects (authority updates, 33x field additions, etc.); display of multiple 264s; 264 vs. 260 and catalog display; RDA for musical sound recordings; RDA main entry choices (and the effect on Cuttering practices); the recent CIP block survey.

Several resources were then shared that participants found helpful to RDA cataloging. Handouts available by request (michele@nassaulibrary.org). Websites as follows:

There was a call for volunteers to help with OLAC Video Games Best Practices (contact Greta de Groat).

Reported by Michele Zwierski

Publisher-Vendor-Library Relations Interest Group

The ALCTS Publisher-Vendor-Library Relations Interest Group (PVLR) put on its usual Monday morning forum, on the topic of textbooks. The text at bottom shows the program abstract sent out on discussion lists ahead of time.

Kris Lange of Ingram was the first of four panelists. Kris, as a student at the University of Mississippi, began an online textbook buyback site for students and bookstores. He has been in that business ever since then, and described the lengths students will go, and the avenues they now have, including piracy, to avoid outright purchase of a new textbook. This has put campus bookstores in a difficult situation. Kris sees further disruption of the traditional textbook market ahead with, so far, “many solutions, but nothing solved”. At the same time, he also sees opportunities for academic librarians to work more closely with bookstores to help serve the campus community.

Franny Kelly of Wiley reported that print was still alive and well, but that custom print was on the rise, as are rentals. At the same time, he described the spiraling demands of professors and students for advanced features in the online textbooks they assign, such as social tools or even adaptive tools, where a textbook only presents material the student does not already ‘know.’ Integration with Learning Management Systems is also becoming a must. He also described the strong demand for ‘a course in a box’ on the part of adjunct professors who might be assigned to teach a course on short notice, a growing phenomenon. 2016, he predicts, might be the ‘tipping point’ toward digital and away from print, with higher education leading the way.

Cyril Oberlander, of SUNY Geneseo (but soon, of Humboldt State), described the need for affordable learning materials in higher education. Cyril has taken the lead in New York in the ‘Open SUNY Textbook’ project, which has produced nearly 20 open access textbooks, all peer-reviewed and written by SUNY faculty members. OST’s ambition is to produce hundreds more of these textbooks in the years ahead. Cyril also hopes to be able to tie together this effort with the work of California’s ‘Affordable Learning Solutions.’

Chuck Hamaker, of UNC Charlotte, talked about a collaborative program at UNCC between the library and the bookstore over course adoption books. Because the bookstore knows which books have been assigned as course readings, the library can help to publicize bookstore availability, while also attempting to acquire these titles for the library’s ebook collection. These are the library’s guidelines: unlimited simultaneous use, no DRM, perpetual and archival access. The library has created a database with a public interface for this purpose, where students and professors can search for available course readings. The library made over 50 such ebooks available for the Spring 2014 semester, resulting in high usage on the part of students and high satisfaction on the part of professors. For other assigned textbooks, the library’s policy is now to not offer Inter-Library Loan service, resulting in higher bookstore sales and a mutually beneficial relationship all a round.

Our PVLR forum on textbooks nearly filled the room, with about 75 people attending. We have received quite a few compliments over the forum, and several requests for the panelists’ slides.

This description was circulated to advertise the program:

A Textbook Case:  The Changing Textbook Ecosystem in Higher Education: New Opportunities, New Perspectives

Textbooks are possibly the one major area of campus “content” which has normally been beyond library mandate. Now some librarians have begun to take notice of textbooks. In doing so, they join a community whose earliest members—students, professors, publishers, and bookstores—have already experienced revolutionary change. What has happened, and what is happening today, in this volatile marketplace? Should libraries acquire, market, and even create textbooks? How can libraries, publishers, and vendors share their perspectives to gain a new understanding and ultimately provide better access to textbooks— whether print or online, whether new or used, and whether bought, sold, shared, rented, or free.

Panel Members:

  • Kris Lange, Director of Sales for Textbooks, Ingram. will set the stage by describing how the ecosystem of textbooks has changed since he, as a student, created BookFool, an online buyback site for students and bookstores.
  • Franny Kelly, Product Manager, Custom and eTextbooks, Global and Higher Education, Wiley. will discuss how the textbook market looks today from the standpoint of a major international publisher of online and print textbooks.
  • Cyril Oberlander, Director, Milne Library, SUNY Geneseo. will describe a visionary project to publish open access textbooks across the entire State University of New York system.
  • Chuck Hamaker, Associate University Librarian, Collection Development and Electronic Resources, UNC Charlotte, will talk about how librarians can work with bookstores while creating effective marketing strategies to help faculty select and students access course readings in the library’s eBook collection.

Reported by Bob Nardini

Role of the Professional in Library Technical Services

The ALCTS Role of the Professional in Library Technical Services Interest Group met on Saturday, June 28, 2014 at 10:30 am. Co-Chair Betsy Appleton, George Mason University, welcomed the 47 attendees to the session, and introduced her co-chair Stephanie Rodriguez and the co-vice chairs, Harriet Wintermute, Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University, and Christine Dulaney, American University.

The session consisted of two presentations. The first, “Spandex Positions: Librarian Flexibility in Technical Services” was presented by Jane Skoric, Cataloging and Metadata Librarian, Santa Clara University. The second was given by Stephanie P. Hess, Electronic Resources Librarian at Binghamton University on the topic, “Emerging Leadership Roles for Technical Services Librarians and Training for Professional and Non-Professional Staff.”

Skoric noted that flexibility—like that of Spandex—was a key requirement for success in technical services today. Technical services is positioned to affect the ecosystem of the library as libraries transition from more collection-centered services to more user-centered services. Two years ago Skoric was hired into a newly redefined position as Cataloging and Metadata Librarian. The position she replaced was the Head of Technical Services. During the interview it was clear that someone was also needed to manage electronic resources. The position description did not address several of the immediate needs of the technical services department, but Skoric chose to “stretch” her position do so. Her primary duties also stretched to become the direct supervision of six support staff.

Flexibility, curiosity, and adaptability are integral to the changing role librarians play in technical services. As Spandex stretches, it also bounces back to a desirable shape. After a couple years of Skoric’s duties stretching to include a wide variety of other duties, the library reorganized and hired more staff to share the work. Skoric has been able to focus more on cataloging and metadata under this reorganization. Technical services librarians must be active in defining the evolution of their own roles, and success requires flexibility and adaptability.

Stephanie Hess addressed the emerging and evolving leadership roles that technical services librarians are expected to take on. Employment opportunities for technical services librarians, including metadata librarians, digitization experts, and e-resource librarians are requiring new skill sets: project management, change management, and administering emerging technologies. These emerging technologies entail extensive re-vamping of workflows and the introduction of more egalitarian training techniques that will reach library staff at all levels.

Hess noted that technical services librarians will not necessarily supervise those with whom they need to work. It is important to consider effective communication strategies and have a good sense of organizational culture to complete work well today. The language that technical services librarians use will also set the tone: it isn’t just what one says, but what one does not say. Hess recommended having a clear understanding of one’s audience and their learning styles to effectively communicate. Strategic planning for change should seek to use existing staff talents, and to analyze/plan with “SOAR” (Strengths, Opportunities, Aspirations, Results) instead of the more adversarial “SWOT”(Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, Threats). This shift in thinking will enable more creative planning.
Organizational cultures should seek transparency, and to engage staff at all levels. Documenting the historical knowledge of long-term employees that may be coming close to retirement will prove fruitful in the future. Training is also an important issue to engage staff at all levels. Hess suggested using a training map to know where the organization is in terms of training, and to as often as possible connect staff development to the organization’s needs.

A question and answer period concluded the meeting. Among the questions asked to the presenters were those related to burn-out, particularly directed at Skoric. Skoric worked very long hours as her position stretched and expanded. She was able to combat burnout with a good attitude: as she learned her new duties, she gained invaluable skills. Other questions discussed the dangers of expanding positions, vs. enriching positions. It may be valuable to rotate staff through positions to see where hidden talents may be, and resistance to change will need to be addressed. The final question was, “How do you get people to document?” Hess explained that sometimes she was unable to do this, and she had to do it herself. She would follow up with the staff member for whom she completed documentation to confirm what she wrote was correct, which helped them assist in correcting the documentation. It is also effective to make the case that documentation enables one’s 30-year legacy to live on in the library in real-time.

Reported by Betsy Appleton

Scholarly Communications Interest Group

The ALCTS Scholarly Communications Interest Group met on Saturday, June 28, 2014 at 1 pm, and featured two presentations. A lively Q&A with the 60 attendees followed each presentation.

Sherri L. Barnes, Scholarly Communication Program Coordinator, University of California, Santa Barbara presented “Scholarly Communication Express.” The University of California, Santa Barbara Library’s Scholarly Communication Program recently launched Scholarly Communication Express, a service that allows campus departments to request 15-minute presentations, to be delivered at department meetings, on trends in academic publishing. Presentations topics include altmetrics; creating data management plans for the social sciences and another for the sciences; Creative Commons licenses; eScholarship, UC’s institutional repository; EZID accounts; the NIH Public Access Policy; the UC Open Access Policy; and understanding article publication agreements. Anyone on campus can use the online form at the easy-to-remember URL, http://www.library.ucsb.edu/15, to request a presentation. Personal, one-on-one, consultations can also be requested. The service formalizes work the Scholarly Communication Group had already been doing informally, as a result of outreach and old fashion liaison work. Having a flyer and a webpage makes it easier to market the service to a larger audience, track requests and measure our success. The service is designed to reach an audience that rarely has time to think about, let alone change, the way they navigate the scholarly communication system and manage their intellectual property, but wants to know what’s going on.

Regina Raboin, Data Management Services Group Coordinator, Tufts University presented “New England Collaborative Data Management Curriculum (NECDMC): An educational program and service for best practices in research data management (RDM).” Five libraries in the New England region developed a unique online, case-based, modular course to teach RDM. Librarians across the US piloted and evaluated this course in different settings. The presentation discussed the development and piloting of the open source curriculum, NECDMC, information on how the curriculum materials can be used and customized, along with how building institutional and regional partnerships leads to successful curriculum implementation. Additionally, the presentation highlighted recent “Train-the-Trainer” workshops and current/future pilots of the curriculum.

The presentation slides are available via http://connect.ala.org/node/226036

The presentations were followed by a business meeting during which future programming ideas were solicited.

Reported by Maureen Walsh

Technical Services Managers in Academic Libraries Interest Group

The ALCTS Technical Services Managers in Academic Libraries Interest Group met on Saturday, June 28, 2014; approximately 35 people attended. Technical Services Managers in Academic Libraries Interest Group and the ACRL Technical Services Interest Group sponsored an extended lightening talk followed by roundtable discussion. Our keynote speaker was Diane Hillman. She shared her thoughts on current issues facing technical services librarians in academic libraries. Roundtable discussion topics include: promotion and tenure; research and publication; tips for supervising librarians who are seeking P&T and/or who are doing research; collaborative research and publication; the continuing issue of silos; service opportunities for new technical services librarians; and general issues facing new technical services librarians.

Reported by Teressa Keenan

Technical Services Workflow Efficiency Interest Group

The Technical Services Workflow Efficiency Interest Group met on Monday, June 30, 2014; approximately 80 people attended to watch three presentations.

“Are We Still Doing This? Streamlining Workflows in Collection Management,” presented by Regina Koury, Idaho State University library.

In 2013 Idaho State University instituted campus-wide Program Prioritization process, based on Robert Dickeson’s model and initiated by the Idaho State Board of Education. As part of this process, ISU library have been tasked to identify key processes, number of personnel assigned to the key processes and key processes that can be streamlined or eliminated.

The presentation described how library’s Collection Management workflows have been re-evaluated, and how library strategically streamlined acquisitions, cataloging, electronic resources and government documents management workflows, which processes were relevant and which no longer applied, which technology we used to help us to be efficient and creative and how Collection Management navigated through changes.

“Keeping Up Connections: Managing Change in Technical Services Through Collaboration at Atkins Library” presented by Shoko Tokoro, Atkins Library, University of North Carolina at Charlotte and Joseph Nicholson, Atkins Library, University of North Carolina at Charlotte.

In 2011, a reorganization of Atkins Library at the University of North Carolina at Charlotte resulted in the disbanding of Technical Services. The functions of each unit of Acquisitions, Cataloging, Electronic Resources, Serials, Collections Development, and Government Documents were physically separated, and personnel from some units were annexed to different departments. In July 2013, the library adopted a new ILS that added more complications to the roles and workflows of staff. This presentation described how librarians and staff at Atkins collaborated creatively across redrawn organizational boundaries and devised agile workflows to ensure that both traditional technical services tasks and new responsibilities are handled effectively during a period of organizational change.

“Moving from print-centric to e-centric workflows: a reorganization of the Technical Services Group at the GMU Libraries,” presented by Meg Manahan, George Mason University Libraries, and Nathan Putnam, University of Maryland Libraries.

In 2010, the George Mason University Libraries Technical Services Group (TSG) underwent a massive reorganization in order to update for new workflows and demands. After a year of research, targeted focus groups, and departmental meetings, a new TSG emerged. The hallmark of the reorganization was flexibility, particularly with regard to format. The two new TSG departments - Resource Acquisitions and Resource Description & Metadata Services - are format blind. Job descriptions are also format-neutral, to allow all staff to work with any format. The focus on flexibility is embodied most significantly by an E-resources Team that crosses departments and even bridges other library divisions. Membership on the team is fluid, so that over time the team can expand or contract as needed.

Reported by Michael Winecoff