CaMMS Committee and Interest Group Reports, Annual 2014

Committee on Cataloging: Asian & African Materials

The Cataloging & Metadata Management Section Committee on Cataloging: Asian and African Materials met on Saturday, June 28, 2014.

A program subcommittee was formed, to plan for a program to be given at the ALA 2015 Annual Conference in San Francisco. A revision to the committee's charge was reviewed and approved to be forwarded to the CaMMS Executive Committee for consideration. Congratulations to William Tuchrello of the Library of Congress field office in Jakarta were passed along, and outgoing members were thanked for their service. Incoming members Yukari Sugiyama and Doris Seely were welcomed. Bruce Johnson (Library of Congress) reported that upcoming work on romanization tables for Uighur, Tibetan, and possibly Mongolian is anticipated. Cynthia Whitacre (OCLC) reported that work is underway for Dewey Decimal Classification (DDC) editions in Arabic and Indonesian, and has been completed for Vietnamese. A technical workshop on Resource Description and Access (RDA) and NACO for East Asian languages was reported on, and drew interest in discussion about plans for a similar upcoming Middle East initiative. The African specialist reported on subj ect analysis, language codes, and Ethiopic script implementation.

Submitted by Charles Riley

Committee on Cataloging: Description & Access

The Cataloging & Metadata Management Section Committee on Cataloging: Description and Access (CC:DA) met on June 28 and June 30, 2014. The main work of CC:DA continues to be revising RDA. At the 2014 Annual Conference meeting we considered several revision proposals that had arisen out of previous CC:DA discussions and work. Although we are working with some complicated issues, reflected in the at times lively discussions which we had in Las Vegas, the work on RDA now tends to be more maintenance. The goal of many of the proposals we considered and acted on was to clarify and improve RDA instructions or to codify current best practices that are not accurately represented by RDA. We are still definitely dealing with some larger issues, especially via the existing CC:DA task forces, but the proposals under discussion at the 2014 Annual Conference tended to focus more on maintenance.

CC:DA passed several proposals that will, with some editorial work, be sent on to the Joint Steering Ccommittee for Development of RDA (JSC) for consideration. These include:

  • A proposal to clarify the core element status in distribution and manufacture statements and to better deal with unknown places or names of publishers, distributors, etc. Some catalogers have interpreted the “core if” status of these elements to mean that in a situation in which a resource does not have an identifiable publisher, distributor, and manufacturer then RDA would require three statements that said “Place of publisher not identified : publisher not identified, date of publication not identified. Place of distributor not identified : distributor not identified … etc.” CC:DA felt that this is not what RDA requires but that the language in the instructions should be cleaned up to avoid giving this as a possible interpretation.
  • A discussion paper, proposed by the Rare Books & Manuscript Section (RBMS) of the Association for College and Research Libraries (ACRL) and the Art Libraries Society of North America (ARLIS/NA), to treat production differently than publication, etc., and to not require transcription of production elements for unpublished resources.
  • A proposal from OLAC and the Music Library Association to remove from chapter 7 of RDA instructions on technical, artistic, and performing credits and move those instructions to chapter 2.
  • A proposal to change RDA instructions on creating access points for expressions of the Bible. Currently RDA requires using the date of the manifestation, but that does not make sense and we propose using a date of expression in the access point instead.

Several other proposals were considered but the course of our discussions revealed that these documents needed some more work so they were not approved yet. CC:DA, however, will continue to work on them and hopes to send completed proposals to the JSC this year. These proposals include:

  • Clarifying instructions for recording sequences of plates
  • Adding new elements to chapter 3 for optical discs
  • Clarifying instructions for recording duration (7.22)
  • Using the mark of omission in preferred titles
  • Using nominative case for titles, names, and places in inflected languages.

Future work of CC:DA:

CC:DA is at something of a crossroads, which was apparent in many of our discussions at the Annual 2014 meeting. As stated above, the majority of the proposals we are working on are meant to clarify ambiguities in RDA, improve instructions, and codify current practice. All these revisions, however, arise out of the needs of catalogers who are still working within a MARC environment. CC:DA has talked extensively about looking forward to a linked data environment for the description and access of resources, but with some exceptions (like the work of our Task Force on Machine-Actionable Data) we have not taken any action in this area. During our discussions in Las Vegas this tension, between improving current practice and working to move forward to a linked data future, came up frequently. We decided that improving current MARC-based practices does still have merit, but CC:DA will need to keep discussing where it most needs to focus its efforts in the future.

Submitted by Peter Rolla

Continuing Education Committee

The Cataloging & Metadata Management Section Continuing Education(CE) Committee met on Saturday, June 28, 2014. The Committee has successfully completed objectives set at the 2014 Midwinter Conference meeting and virtual spring meetings, including:

  • Charge revision. The new charge approved by CaMMS Executive Committee reads as: To encourage and aid in the creation of continuing education offerings related to metadata and cataloging for the Section, ALCTS, and other groups within ALA or affiliated with it, collaborating appropriately; and to monitor trends in metadata and cataloging standards and practice in order to identify needs and make recommendations for the content of such continuing education activities.
  • Identification of new chair. Steven Folsom will co-chair the group moving forward with Nannette Naught continuing into a second term as his Co-Chair.
  • Coordinated the CaMMS Forum presented at the 2014 Annual Conference. “Translating BibFrame: What is all this #$%!?: Making it's potential mutually intelligible to catalogers and coders alike.” The program included three presentations: “Storming the Semantic Web” by Dorothea Salo; “LC's MARC to BIBFRAME Converter: Practical, Fast, and Fun!” by Philip Schreur which included a live demo; and “Toy Stories: The State of Semantics in a Semiotic World” by Nannette Naught to 215 attendees. All three presentations are available on the CaMMS Connect page, the conference scheduler, and SlideShare.
  • Identification of key CE programs for 2014/2015. The Committee is considering the development of a webinar series following its program at the 2014 Annual Conference, a 2015 preconference, and assistance with CaMMS Forum programming at the 2015 Midwinter Conference. The group will flesh out details of these activities in its August virtual meeting to insure that we meet upcoming deadlines and maintain momentum.

Submitted by Nannette Naught

Executive Committee

The Cataloging & Metadata Management Section Executive Committee met twice during the Annual Conference 2014: June 27, 2014, 7:30-9:30 p.m., and Sunday, June 29, 10:30-11:30 a.m.

CaMMS Executive Committee sponsored a Forum held on Sunday, June 29, 2014, 1:00-2:30; its title was “Translating BIBFRAME, or, What is all this #$%!?: Making its Potential Mutually Intelligible to Catalogers and Coders Alike.” Speakers included Dorothea Salo (Faculty Associate, School of Library and Information Studies, University of Wisconsin-Madison), Philip Schreur (Head, Metadata Department, Stanford University), and Nannette Naught (Vice President Strategy & Implementation, Information Management Team, Inc.). The session was well-attended, with 215 in attendance.

The Executive Committee:

  • Confirmed electronic votes taken since the last meeting in January 2014
  • Discussed the Recruitment and Mentoring Committee charge and provided suggestions for activities the Committee might pursue
  • Discussed the role of the ALCTS Standards Committee and how CaMMS might contribute to its work
  • Approved a plan for updating CaMMS’ committee webpages
  • Reviewed the Margaret Mann Award criteria
  • Heard reports from Genevieve Owens (ALCTS President); and Mary Page (ALCTS President-Elect)
  • Discussed CaMMS Forum topics for Midwinter 2015 in Chicago
  • Determined Executive Committee action items for the next six months

Submitted by Rebecca Mugridge

Policy & Planning Committee

The Cataloging & Metadata Management Section Policy & Planning Committee met on Monday, June 30, 2014. The members approved the agenda, then approved the ALCTS News report that Michele Seikel, Chair, submitted for the 2014 Midwinter Conference meeting. Michele asked for volunteers to handle the upcoming 5-year CaMMS committee and interest group reviews. Kevin Balester, who will be a regular member of the committee for the coming year, volunteered for the Margaret Mann Citation Committee. Jackie Toce will contact the Nominating Committee, and 2014/2015 Chair Rocki Strader will handle our committee's self-review. Michele will contact CaMMS Chair Melinda Flannery for review of the Executive Committee. Brian Kern will be in charge of the review for the Competencies & Education for a Career in Cataloging Interest Group. Michele promised to send the updated review calendar out to the members again, as well as the review forms. There was discussion about whether the MARC Formats Transitions Interest Group should be on the review calendar as well.

Lastly, Michele reported on the activities of the ALCT Planning Committee, which met on Sunday, June 29th. The ALCTS Executive Board asked the Planning Committee not to contact ALCTS committees to ask for strategic goals to add to the ALCTs Strategic Plan as yet, because the Board is considering whether to rewrite the Division's Strategic Plan to mesh with the ALA Strategic Plan.

Submitted by Michele Seikel

Research & Publications Committee

The Cataloging & Metadata Management Section Research & Publications Committee met on Saturday, June 28, 2014.

The Research & Publications Committee’s strength resides in support of section III of the ALCTS Strategic Plan: Sustaining ALCTS as a vibrant, relevant organization. This committee is committed to mentoring young professionals in conducting research and writing in the areas of cataloging, discovery, metadata, and other aspects of technical services. The mentoring that we provide takes the form of actual peer review of submitted articles along with encouragement and support via e-mails to the author by the Chair of the committee. In the past year this committee completed the following:

  • Provided three rounds of review for an article on (Simple Knowledge Organization System (SKOS). This article, which was in the form of a guide (not a bibliographic essay) was sent to the editor of Z687 on June 20, 2014 as it was deemed that Z687 was the proper forum for this article.
  • Contacted library schools. A letter including the definition of a “bibliographic essay*” was sent to every library school in the United States on May 18, 2014. In this effort, an Excel spreadsheet containing library school contact information was created and sent to the ALCTS office on May 6, 2014. This spreadsheet was used by Christine McConnell to e-mail the library school letter on official ALCTS stationary to all the library schools.
  • Next steps. Update the ALCTS website with the correct committee charge; update the library school letter and resend the letter in the fall via e-mail to the library school contacts as well as via the library school educator’s electronic mailing list as suggested by Karen Snow; create a new topics list for bibliographic review articles sought by this committee.

* A bibliographic essay is an interpretive review of the literature on a particular topic, functioning like a guided tour as it highlights research conducted in an area of study or inquiry. A bibliographic essay may also serve to point the way toward further research that could be undertaken in a particular knowledge domain. The interpretation can take one of the following forms:

  • Survey: Works are selected with the aim of providing an overview of a topic or area of research.
  • Thematic: Works are distilled into a clear and concise summary highlighting an important concept or trend.

Submitted by Nadine Ellero

Subject Analysis Committee

The Cataloging & Metadata Management Section Subject Analysis Committee (SAC) had two meetings at the 2014 Annual Conference. Updates on DDC and Library of Congress (LC) classification and LC vocabularies were presented. LC announced its decisions to make PDFs available for many of its vocabularies and manuals. Representatives from the Music Library Association, American Association of Law Libraries, Art Libraries Society of North America, the FAST project, the MARC Advisory Committee, and the International Federation of Library Associations (IFLA) provided an overview of their activities and updates on any vocabularies or other subject-related issues they are working on.

SAC approved and forwarded the proposal on the Subject Relationship (RDA chapter 23 and relevant appendices), submitted by the RDA Subcommittee, to the JSC. The SAC Genre/Form Subcommittee’s work on the Library of Congress Genre/Form Terms (LCGFT) was submitted to the Library of Congress and approved. Upon approval the terms are expected to appear in OCLC and ClassificationWeb by the end of 2014 (possibly November).

Work on a new vocabulary, the Demographic Group Terms, is starting this year and a SAC subcommittee is formed to assist with this task. SAC is also forming a task group to work with Online Audiovisual Catalogers (OLAC) to provide feedback on the Library of Congress Subject Headings (LCSH) Headings for Games.

SAC organized a very successful presentation titled “Library of Congress Medium of Performance Thesaurus for Music (LCMPT),” presented by Hermine Vermeij, Casey Mullin, Nancy Lorimer, and Janis Young. This vocabulary was released in February 2014 and presenters addressed questions on how the vocabulary is currently used by catalogers and how these terms will be used in the future. Also challenges in creating and implementing the vocabulary were addressed.

At the end of the meeting, SAC approved to organize a forum at the 2015 ALA Midwinter Conference and a program on Library of Congress Genre/Form Terms (LCGFT) and other new LC vocabularies of interest to a variety of ALA groups at the 2015 Annual Conference in San Francisco. The program is planned for Monday 1:00-2:30 pm.

Submitted by Athena Salaba

SAC Subcommittee on Form/Genre Implementation

The Cataloging & Metadata Management Section SAC Subcommittee on Form/Genre Implementation met on Saturday, June 28, 2014. The Chair gave a report on the past six months' activities. These included: submitting to the Library of Congress Policy and Standards Division in spring 2014 a final proposed list of general terms and literature terms for inclusion in the Library of Congress Genre/Form Terms (LCGFT). There were approximately 150 general terms and 550 literature terms. The literature working group also submitted a detailed response to feedback from LC received just before the 2014 ALA Midwinter Conference, along with a list of reference sources and information from those sources about what exactly can be considered a genre. The hope was to persuade LC that its working definition of genre was too restrictive. The literature group also made numerous revisions to scope notes and cross-references based on LC feedback. Many scope notes were removed as well, if the meaning of the proposed term was clear and self-evident.

The general terms group developed a list of nine top terms under which all other general terms are arranged. The group received feedback from LC just before the 2014 Annual Conference, and LC accepted nearly all of the proposed terms, with some suggestions for revised scope notes and a few other changes.

Subcommittee members Hearn, Young, and Schiff made revisions to a MARC proposal for a new authority field 388, which were approved by SAC and sent to LC's Network Development and MARC Standards Office (NDMSO). LC NDMSO subsequently revised the proposal to define the field also for the bibliographic format. Proposal 2014-06, "Defining New Field 388 for Time Period of Creation Terms in the MARC 21 Authority and Bibliographic Formats" will be considered at the MARC Advisory Committee's June 29, 2014 meeting.

The subcommittee also worked on developing an outline for a Genre/Form Headings Manual and brainstormed on relator terms that may be needed in conjunction with geographic headings used in MARC bibliographic field 751. Further discussion on both of these will take place during the subcommittees two meetings at this conference.

The subcommittee then heard reports from the chairs of the Working Group on General Terms (Yael Mandelstam) and the Working Group on LCGFT Literature Terms (Alex Thurman). Mandelstam and Thurman discussed the responses from LC to their proposed terms. Thurman reported on his working group's meeting earlier that day. Both groups will work now to finalize the initial group of terms for LCGFT and get them in a form that will enable their conversion into MARC authority records. Mary Mastraccio has offered the services of MARCIVE to make the conversions. Janis Young will send Mastraccio information on proper coding of fixed fields. LC has agreed that the 040 $a (Original cataloging agency) can be coded with the MARC organization code for SAC (IlChALCS). Both groups are expecting to have authority records ready for approval and distribution in October or thereabouts. The initial group of literature terms will not include terms for literary styles (e.g., Dadaist poetry; Expressionist drama) or terms for some ethnic performing arts genres. LC has promised to do some further discussion about these kinds of terms. Other terms based on a single theme or setting have also been deferred by LC for the time being (e.g., Academic fiction; Sea stories). These will need to be revisited once the initial group of terms is in LCGFT.

The subcommittee discussed the revisions made by NDMSO to the MARC 388 proposal and agreed that it was fine to include in the bibliographic format, but that if the MARC Advisory Committee accepted that, field 648 should be revised to eliminate the changes previously made to it that included indicator values for terms related to creation dates/periods.

Finally, the subcommittee discussed possible relator terms for use in bibliographic field 751. The chair will prepare proposals for SAC to approve for designators for the following relators: place of origin of work; place of capture; place of discovery. Other possibilities considered but passed on included assumed place, jurisdiction place, place of origin of expression, and place of installation (e.g., of an art installation).

Submitted by Adam Schiff

Authority Control Interest Group (ALCTS-CaMMS/LITA)

The Cataloging & Metadata Management Section Authority Control Interest Group met on Sunday, June 29, 2014, and had 100 people in attendance. The program included several presentations followed by a business meeting; the speakers were:

Janis L. Young (Senior Cataloging Policy Specialist, Policy and Standards Division (PSD)) gave her regular semi-annual report from Library of Congress, including updates on authorities projects, staffing changes at Library of Congress, and updates to tables and documentation. She addressed the BIBFRAME Editor project, changes to RDA toolkit documentation, specific upcoming changes (e.g., Cape Verde->Cabo Verde), updates on the treatment of fictitious characters and on genre/form projects, particularly the Library of Congress Medium of Performance Thesaurus (LCMPT) and Library of Congress Demographic Group Term and Code List (LCDGT) projects.

In February 2014 the Library of Congress launched a new vocabulary, the Library of Congress Medium of Performance Thesaurus for Music (LCMPT). Hermine Vermeij (Team Leader, Subject Specialists Catalogers at UCLA and past chair of the Music Library Association Subject Access Subcommittee) discussed the vocabulary and why it was needed, its history, and its potential to change the way we catalog and discover music. She demonstrated how to use it with several examples and explained what areas of the vocabulary and its application are still in flux, and plans for the future.

Christy Crowl (Founder/Project Director, ProMusicDB), presented recent developments regarding the ProMusicDB.org project, the ProMusicDB ID and its intent to assist librarians in correctly identifying music performers, and have available the first draft of the ProMusicDB.org white paper. An introduction to ProMusicDB was published by Kimmy Szeto in the March 2014 edition of the Journal of E-Resources Librarianship entitled: “Introducing ProMusicDB: A Professional Music Credits Management System.” Christy showed a demo of the project and why it is needed; she also showed an example of the credits and metadata of Quincy Jones, and how to create the ProMusicDB ID for a performer and event. Christy  welcomes feedback on the ID and the project at christy@promusicdb.org.

Gary Strawn (Authorities Librarian, Northwestern University) is the chair of a Program for Cooperative Cataloging (PCC) task force that will define and prepare an RDA “Phase 3” for the LC/NACO Authority File. The primary job to be done is the re-coding of most of the remaining AACR2 authority records (numbering in the millions) as RDA. Other tasks to be accomplished as part of the project include: the addition of ISNIs, changes to music medium of performance (subfield $m), changes to relator terms, elimination of pre-RDA 378 fields, and the re-categorization of texts in subfield $c of personal names. All changed records will receive additional fields (046 for personal names, for example) when possible. Examples of each task and the needed solutions and work were shared. Gary had suggestions for additional clean-up projects (e.g., adding death dates to headings) and solicited volunteers to help review preliminary results (e.g., review of the results of auto-generation of 046 field).

A question and answer session followed each of the presentations. All presentations are available now at ALA Connect in the Authority Control Interest Group Community: http://connect.ala.org/node/65335.

There was a one-hour open business meeting after the presentations for board members and anyone else that wanted to attend. Scott Piepenburg (Head of Cataloging, Odum Library – Valdosta State University) was named as the new incoming vice-chair, and two new members-at-large were named. The Web Chair position was eliminated as those duties are taken care of by other folks in the use of ALA Connect for all our web work. Also discussed at the meeting were possible topics and speakers for the 2015 ALA Midwinter Conference program in Chicago, the upcoming renewal of the group by LITA, reports from the chair on attending the LITA Chairs meeting and Open House, why the group is connected to both ALCTS and LITA, and possible projects that the group can contribute to beyond presenting programs at ALA conferences (e.g., contributing to Gary Strawn’s Phase 3 project).

Submitted by Christina Hennessey

Cartographic Materials Cataloging Interest Group (ALCTS-CaMMS/MAGIRT)

The Cataloging & Metadata Management Section Cartographic Materials Cataloging Interest Group met on Sunday, June 29, 2014, with 27 people attending.

Announcements and Updates:

MAGIRT-RDA Electronic Mailing List

A new electronic mailing list (magirt-rda@ala.org) was established in October 2013 as a dedicated forum for discussing the cataloging of cartographic materials using RDA. As of late June 2014 there were 90 subscribers to the list and more than 75 posts. The list is hosted by the ALA Mail List Service and an archive of posts is maintained on the ALA lists web site. The list is open to ALA members and non-members alike. To sign-up: http://lists.ala.org/sympa/info/magirt-rda .

Basic Map Librarianship / Cataloging and Classification LibGuide page

Katherine Rankin, Mary Larsgaard, and Hallie Pritchett have put together a Basic Map Librarianship resource guide as part of the MAGIRT Accidental Map Librarian program that includes a tab devoted to cataloging and classification resources for cartographic materials:

http://magirt.ala.libguides.com/content.php?pid=471777&sid=3861585

Discussion topics included:

  • How to address recording hierarchical place names for imaginary places in the MARC 662 field
  • Feedback on the MAGIRT Cataloging and Classification Committee’s Task Force on Best Practices draft documentation, “Best Practices for Cataloging Cartographic Resources Using RDA”
  • Digital humanities and the usefulness of Library of Congress Authorities for linked data projects, including how best to record coded time and dates in authorities.
  • Usefulness of crowd sourced metadata vs. defined schemas for describing digital collections materials,
  • a discussion based on American Libraries article: “Metadata for Image Collections” by Eddie Woodward, June 2014, pp. 42-44.

A more detailed report of this Cataloging Interest Group meeting will be published in MAGIRT base line http://www.ala.org/magirt/publications/baseline

Submitted by Marc McGee

Catalog Form & Function Interest Group

The Cataloging & Metadata Management Section Catalog Form & Function Interest Group met on Saturday, June 28, 2014, with 40 people in attendance. The theme of this year's meeting was "Using RDA to improve user experience." Meeting attendees heard from two speakers who implemented improved end-user features using RDA records.

Richard Guajardo (University of Houston) discussed a project to create improved formats and format icons to replace the general material designation (GMD). He explained the decision making process and necessary data clean-up that was involved in this project, as well as the technical implementation.

Ted Schwitzner (Consortium of Academic & Research Libraries in Illinois) discussed a project to create new content types and post-search facets using RDA records. Ted discussed the technical implementation of the content types and post-search facets. He also shared several examples of items that did not display the new content types correctly because of cataloging errors.

The audience will benefit from these presentations as they make the transition to RDA in their own libraries.

Submitted by Kelsey Brett

Cataloging & Classification Research Interest Group

The Cataloging & Metadata Management Section Cataloging & Classification Research Interest Group (CCRIG) met at the ALA Annual Meeting in Las Vegas, NV, on Sunday, June 29, 2014. Twenty-six people attended three presentations.

Enerel Dambiinyam (Assistant Professor and Cataloging Librarian, Middle Tennessee State University), and Rachel Jaffe (Metadata Librarian, University of California, Santa Cruz) were installed as the incoming co-chairs of CCRIG. Wendy West (Head, Catalog Management Services, University at Albany, State University of New York), was elected as incoming vice-chair.

Karen Snow (Assistant Professor, Graduate School of Library and Information Science, Dominican University) and Gretchen Hoffman (Assistant Professor, School of Library and Information Studies, Texas Woman's University) presented "What makes an effective cataloging course? : A study of the factors that promote learning", a research study that examined the elements of a beginning cataloging course that contribute to student learning and how impactful these elements are on beginning cataloging students.

Catherine Sassen (Principal Catalog Librarian, University of North Texas Libraries) presented "Cataloging that works: How to make e-books findable", a report on a study to determine if the inclusion of summary notes and/or table of contents notes in catalog records is associated with the usage of e-books in a large university library.

Paige Andrew (Maps Cataloging Librarian, Pennsylvania State University Libraries) presented "Cartographic resources and RDA: A snapshot of changes from AACR2 rules and practices", a presentation that highlighted the differences between RDA and AACR2 in terms of descriptive cataloging of cartographic resources and provided concrete examples of what changed under the new rules.

A more detailed summary of all three presentations and accompanying slides are available at the Interest Group’s ALA Connect site at: http://connect.ala.org/node/226460

Submitted by Nastia Guimaraes

Competencies and Education for a Career in Cataloging Interest Group

The Cataloging & Metadata Management Section Competencies and Education for a Career in Cataloging Interest Group met on Friday, June 27, 2014, with 70 people attending. The program was titled "Competencies for the 21st Century Cataloger.”

Allison Jai O’Dell (Special Collections Cataloging & Metadata Librarian, University of Miami Libraries) presented “Cataloger 3.0: Competencies and Education for the BIBFRAME Catalog.”

Jennifer A. Liss (Head, Monographic Cataloging Image Unit, Indiana University, Bloomington Libraries) presented “Please send Catalogers: Metadata Staffing in the 21st Century.”

There was a lively discussion after the presentations with plenty of audience participation.

A business meeting concluded the session where the new leaders were announced.

Submitted by April Grey

Copy Cataloging Interest Group

The Cataloging & Metadata Management Section Copy Cataloging Interest Group met on Saturday, June 28, 2014, with 69 people in attendance. Our meeting consisted of four speakers who presented on a different topics, but relevant to the challenges and trends in copy cataloging today.

Angela Kinney (Library of Congress) provided a brief update on the copy cataloging production activities of the Library of Congress for first half of the 2014 fiscal year (October-March). She informed the audience of the free RDA training materials that LC used to train their staff that are available from the LC website. April Grey, Adelphi University, addressed how to differentiate e-book packages through unique identifiers using MarcEdit and Innovative's Sierra. They were able to differentiate between subscription and purchase records in the catalog. And to distinguish bibliographic records with the same title from different vendors. Nathan Putnam, University of Maryland, presented on the challenges and opportunities outside MARC and AACR2/RDA. Copy catalogers review the metadata created, correct errors, and add subject terms access. Catalogers are also reviewing and updating in the library's Digital Repository (Fedora), using a locally created Description Metadata profile. Roman S. Panchyshyn  (Kent State University), addressed the library's RDA enrichment project with their authority control vendor (Backstage Library Works). The project involves machine manipulation of bibliographic records by adding RDA elements to all non-RDA records to create "hybrid" RDA record.

Submitted by Janet Ahrberg

Faceted Subject Access Interest Group

The Cataloging & Metadata Management Section Faceted Subject Access Interest Group met on Saturday, June 28, 2014, with 65 people in attendance. The Interest Group had a presentation from Steven Folsom and Chew Chiat Naun (Cornell University). They talked about Cornell's progress in adding FAST headings (Faceted Application of Subject Terminology) to all the records in the Cornell library catalog. Cornell is working with OCLC to add FAST headings to existing records and including FAST terms in minimal-level records Cornell creates. The speakers discussed how FAST headings are applied to the records and how Cornell creates new name and subject headings for FAST. ALthough the headings are intended for Cornell records, they are shared with OCLC. Cornell is adopting the Blacklight open-source discovery system and wanted to have FAST-based facets available for use in its new system. The presentation generated several questions, and some attendees stayed afterward to talk to the speakers.

Submitted by Brian Falato

Heads of Cataloging Interest Group

The Cataloging & Metadata Management Section Heads of Cataloging (HoC) Interest Group met on Monday, June 30, 2014, with 100 people in attendance. The HoC Interest Group continues the discussion on "Transforming cataloging and metadata practices beyond the traditional boundaries." We invited two speakers: Marty Kurth (Director, Knowledge Access and Resource Management, NYU Libraries) and Chiat Naun Chew (Director, Cataloging & Metadata Services, Cornell University).

Submitted by Jee Davis

Next Generation Catalog Interest Group

The Cataloging & Metadata Management Section Next Generation Catalog Interest Group met on Sunday, June 29, 2014 with five attendees. Participants discussed what the focus of the interest group should be. There was an overwhelming consensus that we need to be a tool to help people select and evaluate integrated library system platforms and to plan for the future. We also decided to work on a document or wiki that creates commonality of terms across systems. For example, "shadowing" and "suppression" mean the same thing but in different systems.

Submitted by Scott Piepenburg