CaMMS Committee and Interest Group Reports, Annual 2013

Cataloging of Children’s Materials Committee

The Cataloging of Children’s Materials Committee (CCM) met on Sunday, June 30, 2013, in Chicago, Illinois, and discussed the following items.

Survey on Change of Library of Congress Shelf Listing of Children’s Literature Fiction
(LC Classification Number PZ)

The Children’s and Young Adults’ Cataloging Program (CYAC) and the Policy and Standards Division (PSD) of the Library of Congress are considering a proposal to begin using two Cutters to sub-arrange juvenile literary works, as is done for adult works. CYAC and PSD have tentatively agreed to create new classification numbers for children’s literary works, probably PZ7.1. The system would be implemented for new classification numbers only and not for existing numbers. Before making a final decision, CYAC and PSD would like to survey libraries with children’s literature collections to determine the effect that the change in policy may have on their users. Library of Congress requested the participation of the ALCTS Cataloging of Children’s Materials Committee (CCM) as a joint sponsor of the survey. The committee would help ensure that a broad cross-section of the user community was reached by the survey. A draft survey was shared with CCM to discuss at the annual meeting. It is anticipated that the survey would be distributed through a SurveyMonkey account. After discussion, the committee agreed to cosponsor the survey and assist in its dissemination.

Spanish Webinar for Program

At ALA Annual 2013, CCM sponsored the program entitled “The Twilight of AACR2 and the Breaking Dawn of RDA,” which provided information on how to catalog juvenile materials in a variety of formats (e.g., audio, e-book, DVD) using the Resource Description and Access (RDA) standard. The program was well-received and had more than 180 attendees. The presentation by Barbara Schultz-Jones (College of Information, University of North Texas) and Ric Hasenyager (New York City School Library System) is being translated into Spanish at the Library of Congress. CCM would like to find ways to use the translation. The ALCTS Program Committee suggested that it could be used as a webinar in Spanish for the ALCTS Continuing Education Committee. It is anticipated that we would locate native Spanish speakers to present the webinar. CCM agreed to continue to move forward on a possible webinar. CCM submitted an ALCTS Webinar Proposal Form and is waiting for a response from the Continuing Education Committee.

Sears Advisory Group

Eve Miller (EBSCO Information Services) launched a new Sears Advisory Group with representatives from Mitinet Library Services, OCLC Dewey Services, the Library of Congress, Quality Books Inc., and MARCIVE, Inc. It is part of EBSCO’s effort to continue to update their Sears product and the vocabulary in their database. They have created MARC authority records for all of their headings through MARCIVE and are working with Dewey to better synchronize headings changes in Sears. They are looking for support in identifying new subject headings or terms that need to be added to Sears or existing headings that use older terminology and need to be updated. They have an editorial team that creates records for Sears in Core Collections, and all of those books are assigned Sears headings. However, they need to expand their sources for new headings and plan to use the advisory group in that capacity.

Future Programs for CCM

Members of the committee brainstormed on topics for a program in 2015. The group supported the topic of “Genre Headings Used as Subject Headings.” It was noted that the work of the ALCTS Subject Analysis Committee’s Subcommittee on Genre/Form Implementation is almost finished, and the committee plans to submit its work in August 2013. CCM would use 2014 to put together the program proposal. It was also suggested that CCM plan a future preconference program. There was support for a preconference workshop on creating RDA records for kits and other special format materials for juveniles. Again, CCM would use 2014 to go through the proposal process. The committee also noted that a survey would be passed out to participants at our ALA Annual program on RDA that asks for input on future programs. The Cataloging of Children’s Materials Committee plans to analyze the results of the survey to assist in future programming.

Committee on Cataloging: Description and Access (CC:DA)

Revision Proposals

Since the Joint Steering Committee for the Development of RDA (JSC) is currently only meeting once a year, in November, CC:DA’s workload in the spring tends to be lighter than in the fall. Between the Midwinter and Annual meetings, the committee approved one revision proposal, dealing with the capitalization of names with hyphenated-compounds in them. This proposal grew out of a CC:DA task force that looked at the changes between the 15th and 16th editions of the Chicago Manual of Style. (The general guideline in the Resource Description and Access [RDA] standard for English language capitalization, at instruction A.10, follows the Chicago Manual of Style but references the 15th edition. When the 16th edition came out, CC:DA agreed to look at it, and our task force found significant differences, which led to this proposal).

At the ALA Annual Conference in Chicago, CC:DA had a very full agenda and discussed several other proposals. The committee approved two that, with some minor editorial work, will be sent to the JSC to consider this November:

  • a proposal from the American Association of Law Libraries (AALL) that seeks to change the RDA instructions on creating access points for treaties,
  • a discussion paper from the Task Force on Machine-Actionable Data seeking input from the JSC on creating an RDA element called Extent of Expression.

The committee also considered four revision proposals that needed more work. CC:DA hopes to complete the work on these four in July so that they can be sent to the JSC for November’s meeting. These include:

  • a revision proposal from the Task Force on Relationship Designators in RDA Appendix K (this appendix was not completed in the initial writing of RDA, and CC:DA agreed to flesh it out). Through the course of our discussion in Chicago, CC:DA ended up requesting some significant editorial changes to the proposal. The task force agreed to make the changes to the proposal immediately after the Annual meeting.
  • A proposal, suggested by the RDA in Many Metadata Formats (RIMMF) project, which gives instructions on creating variant access points for titles of works. CC:DA agreed with the proposal but realized that it needed to be expanded—it proposed changing the instructions in number 6.27.4.1 for general guidelines, but the committee also needed to add the instructions to 6.28, 6.29, 6.30, and 6.31 for titles of specific types of works.
  • A proposal to change the instructions for recording the color content of a resource at 7.17.
  • A discussion paper arising out of the work of the CC:DA Task Force on Recording Relationships. This task force has been working for a couple of years but still hasn’t solved all the issues it took on, so the committee wants to send what it has to the JSC to get feedback and make sure there is still interest in our working on these problems.

Lastly, CC:DA agreed to provide commentary on a discussion paper from the ALCTS Subject Analysis Committee (SAC) on the treatment of subjects in RDA that will be sent to the JSC by the ALA representative. This proposal comes from SAC so CC:DA will not change it and does not need to approve it, but since it has more experience in working with RDA and the JSC, it agreed to look at it and offer suggestions that may facilitate its passage through the JSC.

Future Work of CC:DA

First, once CC:DA finishes all the ALA revision proposals for this year’s cycle, it will consider the Romanization tables for three Slavic languages that have been updated and need CC:DA approval. Next, CC:DA will read and respond to the RDA revision proposals from other constituencies to the JSC. The committee will have until mid-September to discuss its responses.

And after the Romanization tables and responses are taken care of, CC:DA still has several other possible RDA revision proposals to begin or continue working on. The committee decided to continue working on the problem of recording relationships, and will reconstitute that task force. CC:DA also decided to form a task force to look at the question of pseudonymous corporate bodies and perhaps to propose extending the instructions on pseudonyms for persons to corporate bodies. The committee is are also still working with the Online Audio-Visual Catalogers, Inc. (OLAC) and the Music Library Association on the issue of recording technical and performing credits. They presented a discussion paper to CC:DA with several options, and the committee requested that they continue working and come back to us when they have coalesced around one or two options.

Executive Committee

The CaMMS Executive Committee cosponsored the RDA Update Forum with the RDA Conference and Forums Task Force. The RDA Conference and Forums Task Force was formed in 2006 to organize forums to report on the development and progress of the Resource Description and Access (RDA) standard at ALA Midwinter Meetings and Annual Conferences. In 2009, the scope of the task force was expanded to include programs and preconferences at ALA Annual Conferences. The task force has held RDA Update Forms at each conference, as well as preconferences each at Annual and programs at both conferences on topics related to RDA, including system impacts, vendor discussions, MARC (and post-MARC) implications. This was the final RDA Update Forum and the task force is dissolving. The CaMMS Executive Committee thanks all of the members of the task force for their important and impactful service to the community over the last seven years. The task force’s report contains more detail on the program at Chicago. This Annual, the CaMMS Executive Committee met with the incoming co-chairs of the CaMMS Continuing Education Committee to discuss the charge of Continuing Education, how to roll in continued support for RDA training, and how to move in non-MARC directions in support of continuing education for linked data and Bibliographic Framework Initiative efforts. In addition, the CaMMS Executive Committee discussed a variety of ALCTS Board topics and heard reports from the ALCTS Planning Committee and CC:DA.

Policy and Planning Committee

After approving the minutes of the 2013 Midwinter Meeting with corrections, the chair thanked the members who had developed a template listing CaMMS chair duties which can be customized for each committee or interest group and passed on to incoming chairs and added to the group’s ALA Connect page. The template was distributed to the CaMMS chairs this spring.

The chair explained the process for administering five-year renewal evaluations for the section’s committees and interest groups and then called for volunteers to act as liaisons during the renewal process. Liaisons contact the chair of each committee or interest group which is to be evaluated, using a five-year calendar. For committees, the liaison forwards the renewal forms to the chairs and arranges to attend their Midwinter meeting to explain the renewal process, facilitate their renewal discussion, and answer questions. For interest groups, the liaison forwards the renewal form to the co-chairs and explains the process. Policy and Planning then makes sure that the forms are returned completed in good time and forwarded to the ALCTS Executive Committee. The process fulfills Goal IIA of the ALCTS Strategic Plan—improving how the group operates—by providing each committee or interest group a regular opportunity (every five years) to think about their charges and functioning and to make changes where needed. In 2013–14, there will be five committees and one interest group up for renewal. However, the members are uncertain about the Machine-Readable Bibliographic Information Committee (MARBI), which has been replaced by the new Metadata Standards Committee. The Chair will check with the executive director about whether the Metadata Standards Committee is still part of CaMMS, or is now a division-level committee.

Kristin Lindlan, the CaMMS Policy and Planning Committee’s liaison to the ALCTS Planning Committee, reported that the Executive Board wants everyone in the division to be involved in strategic planning. The new plan will be two-tiered. In September, members will be sent a survey concerning critical issues. One tier of the plan will cover critical issues and the second tier will include tactical-level issues. Kristin will send the committee a timeline. The survey will be returned to the Executive Board in September; then the draft plan will be sent to us for comment.

Recruitment and Mentoring Committee

The committee discussed the possibility of a mixer and maybe a program to help with recruitment efforts. It also discussed the mentoring program and the need to tweak the survey and program to allow for more nontraditional cataloging and project management skills.

Research and Publications Committee

Discussion of ALCTS Publishing Options

Rocki Strader and Kavita Mundle presented an informal history on ALCTS publishing and the ALCTS Newsletter Online (ANO) in response to questions about various publishing activities by Nadine Ellero. ANO is the official newsletter of the Association for Library Collections Technical Services and can be found at the ANO home page. The  z687 series includes white papers and think pieces on topics related to technical services and thus may have some overlap with bibliographic essays that the committee publishes. Bibliographic essays are summaries or commentaries on recent literature on specific topics with suggestions on areas for future research.

The minutes of the January 26, 2013 meeting were approved as presented.

Program Proposal for 2014

The committee concluded that there was not enough time to submit a complete proposal before the deadline. There was general agreement to pursue a virtual preconference or regular webinar. A webinar was done in the past with great success. An example of such a webinar is: “The How and Why of Research: What’s the Rock in Your Shoe?” These are archived for future viewing and reviewing.

Essay on “SKOS”

Due to time and low attendance, this topic will be discussed via e-mail.

Publicity to Library Schools

A list of ALA accredited library schools was compiled by Marielle Veve. Marielle will compose a draft letter to be vetted by the committee and sent out in the fall. The letter will introduce the CaMMS Research Publications Committee and the benefits of writing a research paper with seasoned peer support, feedback, and mentoring. These are real publications that can be listed on a curriculum vitae (CV). ALCTS membership is not required.

General Publicity

A short blurb to be written by Nadine Ellero and vetted by this committee will be submitted to ANO (Alice Platt). This same blurb will be issued as an announcement on the OCLC-CAT, AutoCat, and RDA electronic mailing lists.

Next steps include exploring a separate Student Series in Cataloging and Metadata Research.

Subject Analysis Committee

At ALA Annual in Chicago, the Subject Analysis Committee (SAC) met twice.

At Sunday’s meeting, after adopting both the agenda and 2013 Midwinter Meeting minutes, the committee heard reports from a variety of liaisons. Eve Miller reported on the Sears List of Subject Headings. Janis Young presented a detailed report on activities at the Library of Congress. Michael Panzer, Caroline Saccucci, and Deborah Rose Lefmann spoke on Dewey Decimal Classification topics. Hermine Vermeij reported on the activities of the Music Library Association. Suzanne Graham reported on the American Association of Law Libraries. Sherman Clarke spoke on behalf of the Art Libraries Society. The SAC Research and Presentation Working Group was then represented with a brief report from Andrea Morrison. This concluded the meeting on Sunday.

Monday’s session opened with a large crowd of guests awaiting Eric Miller’s presentation, “The Future of Subject Analysis in the BIBFRAME Model.” Miller gave an interesting presentation on the possibilities that web technologies offer as we move forward into a new bibliographic environment with the advent of the Bibliographic Framework Initiative (BIBFRAME) project. A lively discussion period followed.

After a short break, the committee returned to hear reports and discussions on a number of topics. Janis Young facilitated a discussion based on a paper concerning the creation of a vocabulary of demographic terms. Robert Maxwell and Tony Olson reported on the RDA Subcommittee, including a review of a Resource Description and Access (RDA) discussion paper. Stephen Hearn provided an update from the Machine-Readable Bibliographic Information Committee (MARBI). Adam Schiff then spoke on behalf of the Subject Analysis Committee’s Subcommittee on Genre/Form Implementation. Ed O’Neill reported on the ongoing progress of the Faceted Application of Subject Terminology (FAST) project and John DeSantis presented a report from the International Federation of Library Associations. Melanie Wacker discussed the happenings at the Subject Authority Cooperative’s at-large meeting. Finally, Judy Jeng presented the chair’s report.

CaMMS Interest Groups

Authority Control Interest Group (CaMMS-ALCTS/LITA)

The main topics for the program at the ALA Annual Conference in Chicago were “Authority Control of Relationship Designators in RDA”, and “Authority Control in Data Repositories and Digital Projects.” The interest group sponsored four presentations with five speakers, with the presentations lasting approximately one hour and 45 minutes.

Janis Young (Senior Cataloging Policy Specialist, Library of Congress Policy and Standards Division) gave her regular semi-annual report from Library of Congress, including updates on authorities projects, staffing changes at the Library of Congress, and updates to tables and documentation. Current projects include changes to fictitious/legendary characters, to Library of Congress subject headings for crimes, and to moving image genre/form terms.

Chew Chiat Naun (Director, Cataloging and Metadata Services, Cornell University) reported on his experience as part of the Program for Cooperative Cataloging (PCC) Relationship Designator Guidelines Task Group. The group was formed in June 2012 and submitted a report containing a number of recommendations. The Task Group dealt with such issues as open vs. closed vocabularies, working with specialized communities, codes vs. terms, limitations of the MARC format, and Functional Requirements for Bibliographic Records (FRBR) implementation.

Chelcie Juliet Rowell (Digital Initiatives Librarian, Z. Smith Reynolds Library, Wake Forest University) reported on a recent research project she was involved in while at University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill studying controlled vocabulary use and the knowledge and perceptions of different types of users. A survey was sent to DATANET and data repository stakeholders (not necessarily libraries) and conclusions were reported from the results to date.

Jeremy Myntti (Head of Cataloging & Metadata Services, University of Utah) and Nate Cothran (Vice President, Automation Services, Backstage Library Works) reported on the collaboration between the University of Utah and Backstage Library Works to automate a solution for bringing authority control to digital library metadata. In addition to standardizing headings, the process adds links from the metadata records to the Library of Congress Linked Data Service. They walked us through the project, explaining methodology, problems they ran into, and statistics and reports from the project. A brief question and answer session followed the presentations. All presentations are available on ALA Connect in the Authority Control Interest Group Community.

There was a business meeting after the presentations for committee members and others who wished to attend. The group decided to abolish the specific designations for members-at-large since they were no longer needed, and discussed recruiting liaisons from organizations other than the Music Library Association. Elections were held for the members-at-large and secretary positions. No one ran for vice-chair, but one was appointed after the meeting. The committee discussed possible topics and speakers for the ALA Midwinter program in Philadelphia.

Catalog Management Interest Group

The following three presentations were given at the meeting.

Preprocessing Materials for a Remote Storage Facility

Presented by Brian Dobreski, Catalog Librarian, Syracuse University. The Syracuse University Libraries Cataloging Department has been actively involved in preparing a variety of materials for the recently opened Syracuse University Library Facility (SULF), a high-density, near-campus storage facility that will house approximately 1.2 million volumes. Transfer of these materials from the general collections allows for future collection growth and reconsideration of the use of library space on campus, but their removal from physical browsing areas, as well as the request and retrieval procedures employed at SULF, necessitates acceptable representation in the library catalog. In response, catalogers have been dispatched to a number of locations on campus to preprocess library materials designated for storage, a task which involves review and correction of all associated records in the library’s catalog. The preparation of materials for ingest at SULF has brought to light a number of problems in the catalog, and required a variety of catalog maintenance workflows and quality controls in response. Common problems encountered during preprocessing activities included pockets of incomplete retrospective conversion, the discovery of missing and previously withdrawn items, complicated bound-with and filmed-with situations, multi-format records, incorrect item locations, and other mistakes and omissions in the catalog. Such problems were addressed by establishing minimal guidelines for discoverability, devising specific workflows for the preparation of different portions of the collection, utilizing reports for quality control of all materials headed to storage, maintaining a high level of communication with SULF staff, and other strategies. Work thus far has resulted in the correction of a number of problems in the catalog, assured a high level of access for materials in storage, and helped further establish the importance of cataloging staff at Syracuse University.

Batch Editing: Software and Regular Expressions

Presented by Julene Jones, Head, Database Integrity, William T. Young Library, University of Kentucky Libraries. The Libraries have undertaken multiple bibliographic integrity projects recently, including those resulting from an OCLC reclamation project, in order to discover errors in loader tables, to update authorized headings in bibliographic records and to add or edit standard notes. The presentation discussed workflows, including the use of regular expressions, MarcEdit and Voyager’s Global Data Change.

Automating Name Authority Record Updates and Bibliographic File Maintenance: A Proof of Concept

Presented by Lucas (Wing Kau) Mak, Metadata and Catalog Librarian, Michigan State University Libraries. The batch reissuing of the Library of Congress Name Authority File (LCNAF) and manual upgrading/recoding of pre-RDA name authority records (NARs) have created an overwhelming burden for catalog maintenance staff. The sheer volume of changed NARs and the resulting bibliographic file maintenance (BFM) could easily stall in-house authority control processes. At Michigan State University Libraries, an AutoIt script for automating the process was tested. This script works from a .mrc file of name authority records extracted from the integrated library system and utilizes EXtensible Stylesheet Language, the SRU protocol, the SkyRiver utility, and MarcEdit software to detect and bring in updated name authority records and to complete the corresponding bibliographic file maintenance with the integrated library system’s global update function. Without going into the technical details of the script, the speaker covered the design of the workflow, challenges encountered, and the script’s limitations.

Cataloging and Classification Research Interest Group

The ALCTS CaMMS Cataloging and Classification Research Interest Group met at the ALA Annual Meeting in Chicago, on Sunday, June 30, 2013. Forty-nine people attended three presentations during the meeting on the topic of “Catalog Evolution.”

Nastia Guimaraes, Electronic Resources and Serials Cataloging Librarian, University of Notre Dame, was installed as the incoming chair of CCRIG. Enerel Dambiinyam, Assistant Professor and Cataloging Librarian, Middle Tennessee State University, and Rachel Jaffe, Metadata and Catalog Librarian, Binghamton University, SUNY, were elected as incoming co-vice chairs.

Wendy West, Head of Database Maintenance, Processing and Bindery Department, State University of New York at Albany, presented “Tag You’re It: Enhancing Access to Graphic Novels,” a report on research to determine if the tagging of graphic novels in Association of Research Libraries (ARL) members improved access to this type of resources.

Peter H. Lisius, Music and Media Catalog Librarian, Kent State University, presented “AACR2 to RDA: A Means to an End.” This research examined the need for AACR2 and RDA training for catalogers and the future implications of learning both AACR2 and RDA together as opposed to simply learning RDA on its own.

Violeta Ilik, Metadata Cataloging Librarian, Texas A&M University Libraries, presented “Reuse, Repurpose.” This presentation focused on the catalogers’ experience in creating crosswalks between MARCXML and Dublin Core metadata for specific collections at the Texas A&M University Library.

A more detailed summary of all three presentations and accompanying slides are available at the interest group’s ALA Connect site.

Cataloging Norms Interest Group

The Cataloging Norms Interest Group is traditionally a gathering of speakers for anyone who desires to attend. The interest group focuses on topics which are relevant to cataloging but has recently focused more on metadata because it is becoming more prevalent in libraries. There were 68 people in attendance, and the session consisted of three speakers whose topics were focused on metadata and cataloging best practices.

Jennifer Eustis, Catalog/Metadata Librarian, University of Connecticut Libraries Storrs, spoke about incorporating non-MARC metadata into a changing library department. Addressing the up-and-coming areas of e-science and big data, Eustis discussed her role in helping science professors manage and access their data and her experiences spearheading this new initiative within her Resource Services Team and co-workers using MARC metadata. She also elaborated on her experience in a hybrid metadata library environment.

Karen Snow, Assistant Professor at the Graduate School of Library & Information Science, Dominican University, discussed the terms “accurate” and “complete” in the context of the original cataloging of MARC records. Snow conducted a survey asking people to define these terms and describe an ideal record. Her aim was to pin down the concept of quality cataloging, its meaning, and its output. One of the ways to think about the matter is that of useful versus essential information. Due to variations in local needs and users, consensus within the cataloging profession is difficult to reach. Snow’s conclusion is that these terms are best defined locally and that policies be created to reflect the definitions and ensure consistencies within the local catalog.

Philip Collins, graduate student at Dominican University, rounded out the session with his talk about metadata embedded within images that preserves copyright information for future use and for citation purposes. Collins focused on metadata retention, or lack thereof, in various social media websites and platforms, and the implications of the Digital Millennial Copyright Act. He briefly described different types of metadata, including the exchangeable image file format (EXIF), the International Press Council (IPTC) standard, and Adobe's Extensible Metadata Platform (XMP), and advocacy for the retention and use of metadata embedded within images.

The interest group’s current goals with regard to the ALCTS Strategic Plan relate to following trends and issues in the profession and to the exchange of information. The Group concentrates on innovative topic ideas and areas of concern when it selects speakers. The question and answer section of the program encourages the exchange of ideas and fosters dialog.

Competencies and Education for a Career in Cataloging Interest Group

The ALCTS/CaMMS Competencies and Education for a Career in Cataloging Interest Group meeting was chaired by Angela Kinney, chief of the African, Latin American and Western European Division at the Library of Congress (LC). The meeting was held in the McCormick Convention Place, Room 427A on Friday, June 25, 2013, with 60 attendees present. Ms. Kinney introduced Melanie Polutta, a librarian from her organization who is a Name Authority Cooperative (NACO) and Resource Description and Access (RDA) trainer. Ms. Polutta gave her impressions of the RDA training that she conducted at the Library of Congress during fiscal year 2013. Polutta was an RDA tester during the period in 2012 in which the Library of Congress, the National Library of Medicine and the National Agricultural Library selected a number of institutions to test the efficacy of implementing RDA. She discussed the RDA training program at LC, the methods used to teach different constituent groups, and what LC learned to make the whole process viable. The LC training program included modules which are available online at the its public website and cover the fundamentals of the Functional Requirements for Bibliographic Records (FRBR), bibliographic and authority control, and practical exercises. The modules were used to train staff onsite and at the six overseas offices and have been used by the LC’s shelf-ready cataloging vendors to learn RDA, as well as numerous libraries and institutions who have made the transition to RDA implementation. Ms. Polutta described LC’s methods of training, which included both face-to-face and distance learning via videos and webinars, and the challenges associated with all of these methods. A lesson learned was that FRBR training must be emphasized in order for students to better absorb the RDA vocabulary and concepts. Training must also include multiple examples and practical exercises, and incorporate time for the practice critical for full comprehension. LC also employed the strategy of peer review after formal training. That strategy has reinforced RDA training and ensured that staff had time to ask questions of their colleagues before using the new cataloging instructions independently.

Angela Kinney opened the business meeting by announcing the new co-chairs of the committee: April Grey of Adelphi University in Long Island, New York, and Morag Boyd of Ohio State University in Columbus, Ohio. Bruce Evans of Baylor University Libraries in Waco, Texas, will serve as the vice-chair. All three assume their new duties at the ALA Midwinter meeting in Philadelphia.

Angela also announced the next Biennial Library Educators Meeting is slated to take place at the ALA Midwinter 2014 meeting. The meeting is tentatively planned for Friday, January 24, at the convention center. More details concerning the meeting, which is being organized by the Continuing Education Committee and the Competencies and Education for a Career in Cataloging Interest Group, will be forthcoming via various electronic mailing lists and on ALA Connect. Attendees interested in volunteering to assist with the conference should contact the committee chairs. The idea for the Biennial Library Educators Meeting originated with the ALCTS Implementation Task Group on the Library of Congress Working Group Report which recommended “a meeting with library and information science educators and trainers to discuss new and changing policies, procedures and practices in bibliographic control” (recommendation 5.2.1.1 of the report). In response to this recommendation, the ALCTS Task Force to Convene a Meeting with Library Educators held the first Biennial Library Educators Meeting at ALA Midwinter 2012.

CaMMS Heads of Cataloging Interest Group

Finishing up a three-part series on assessment in a cataloging unit, the Heads of Cataloging Interest Group featured two speakers addressing the topic from an external perspective. Bob Wolven provided an overview of the 2CUL partnership between Cornell and Columbia Universities. He spoke of how the two libraries are assessing the progress of this attempt to integrate technical services operations, and what factors affect this assessment. Ted Fons provided an overview of common current assessment measures in cataloging operations as well as the goals for new initiatives such as the Bibliographic Framework Initiative. He then compared the current measures to the new goals and discussed overlap as well as new areas to be explored.

Cartographic Resources Cataloging Interest Group (CaMMS/MAGIRT)

Approximately twenty-three people attended the Cartographic Resources Cataloging Interest Group discussion jointly sponsored by the Cataloging and Metadata Management Section and the Map and Geospatial Information Round Table (MAGIRT).

Announcement on the Discussion of Library of Congress Subject Headings as a Suitable Thesaurus for OpenGeoportal

An OpenGeoportal (OGP) National Summit will be held October 14–18, 2013, in the Boston area. The OpenGeoportal Metadata Working Group will likely host a discussion on thesauri at the Summit.

Klokan Technologies Bounding Box Tool Coordinates

The MARC Standards Office at the Library of Congress (LC) has approved “bound” as an available source code for use in subfield $2 of the MARC 034 field when using the Bounding Box Tool to assign bounding box coordinate data to a map record. The LC website hosts a copy of the report. (Note: At the MAGIRT Cataloging and Classification Committee meeting it was noted that there is some conflict as to whether “bounding” or “bound” is the approved form of the code; it is best to wait to use the code until it has been officially announced). The Bounding Box Tool is available on the  Klokan Technologies website. A Bounding Box Tool overview and tutorial was published in the June 2013 issue of base line.

Improving Digital Geospatial Data Concepts in the Library of Congress Genre Form Terms

When cataloging digital cartographic materials such as scanned paper maps, online mapping services, geographic information systems data sets, born-digital maps, databases of geospatial information, etc., it can sometimes be unclear as to how to apply an appropriate Library of Congress Genre Form Terms (LCGFT). Authority records for LCGFT such as “Digital maps”, “Geospatial data”, “Geodatabases” lack enough explicit information to aid the cataloger in understanding their intended application.

Discussion centered on how best to update the existing LCGFT to provide catalogers with additional guidance on the application of LCGFT to digital geospatial data materials. In some cases, disambiguation of definitions could be provided in the form of a scope note, while in others, a change in terminology would be best for clarification purposes. The discussion also included consideration of whether more types of LCGFT would be useful for covering digital geospatial data concepts. The goal of any changes to LCGFT would be to enhance and/or clarify existing genre/form headings for more consistent cataloging and effective data discovery.

For catalogers cataloging digital geospatial information infrequently, it can be difficult to identify the type of a data set. One suggestion was to develop clearer scope notes with basic definitions in the authority records to help catalogers identify the type of geospatial data. A discussion of digital geospatial data types and data models followed and included overviews of: scanned maps (images, not spatial-enabled), scanned maps that have been georeferenced, geodatabases, and vector, raster, triangular irregular network (TIN), and NetCDF data.

One attribute that could be used in helping to define the type of data for LCGFT might be the resources’ level of interactivity, e.g., a static map (not spatially enabled), an interactive or dynamic map (with geospatial referencing and more than just navigation tools), or an interactive map with downloads. Another attribute to help define data type for LCGFT would be whether the resource is an image or data. It was brought up that not all catalogers have access to software to be able to evaluate the data type so keeping the LCGFT at a broad level might be the best approach to maintain consistency. (Background information: the LCGFT for cartographic resources which were created in 2011 were based on text materials; they were not necessarily intended to be used to describe cartographic materials.)

It was suggested to maintain the LCGFT at a broad level and optionally include additional MARC 500 field notes with more specific data type and file format type information. A thesaurus could be identified/developed to describe specific data types and file formats with a controlled vocabulary for use in the 500 notes (e.g., the Open Geospatial Consortium file format list).

Marc McGee will work with Wangyal Shawa to draft a proposal for improving the existing digital cartographic resources LCGFT. Janis Young from the Library of Congress Policy and Standards Division (PSD) is expecting a statement on digital cartographic resource LCGFT from the MAGIRT community. Marc will send the draft proposal to the MAGIRT and Maps-L electronic mailing lists for community feedback prior to submitting the proposal through the LC Geography and Map Division to the Policy and Standards Division.

Best Practices for Resource Description and Access Cataloging

Is a best practices resource desirable? If so, what would be the best format for a best practices resource? Options could include an RDA Toolkit workflow, a webpage, a wiki, a cheat sheet, or checklists. Should the resource be targeted to the regular cartographic materials cataloger or the novice? Should it highlight just the changes since AACR2 or be more comprehensive? Would an electronic mailing list devoted to RDA best practices for cartographic materials be helpful? The examples in RDA are intended to be “illustrative not prescriptive”. A best practices resource could address some areas where RDA is not prescriptive enough for the cartographic resources community. It is expected that communities will work to create their own manuals for use with RDA.

Some examples of things where a best practices document might be useful to the cartographic resources community:

  • including “Scale” at the beginning of the MARC 255 field
  • using International Standard Bibliographic Description (ISBD) punctuation with RDA
  • recording coordinates in decimal degree vs. degrees minutes seconds
  • recording of “hand colored” maps
  • treatment of Central Intelligence Agency maps when “CIA” does not appear on the map
  • how to apply the WEMI (work-expression-manifestation-item) model to cartographic resources (e.g., editions, incomplete map sets/series)

The Library of Congress Geography and Map Division has an internal document of best practices for its map catalogers. It is in PowerPoint format and is considered to be an evolving document which frequently changes. The Geography and Map Division will share a copy (and subsequent updates) if requested by e-mail to: mapcat@loc.gov. This document could be used as a starting point for a broader community best practices document.

Marc McGee will report to the Cataloging and Classification Committee (CCC) that the group consensus is that a website would be sufficient for best practices documentation and that it is better to have it hosted outside of the RDA Toolkit (e.g., in the form of a LibGuide page from the CCC LibGuide site). A mechanism to post comments/questions was identified as a desirable feature. A checklist form would be sufficient for regular cartographic catalogers. The Library of Congress Geography and Map Division best practices document could be used as a starting point for a larger community document. Marc McGee will also investigate the possibility of starting a cartographic resources RDA cataloging best practices electronic mailing list.

“Maps the RDA Way” Program

Examples and materials from the “Maps the RDA Way” session will be posted on the MAGIRT LibGuide page. A follow-up webinar to “Maps the RDA Way” is scheduled for: July 22, 2013, 1 p.m. (CST) There will be a question-and-answer session with Susan Moore and Paige Andrew. Questions can be sent ahead of time to Susan or Paige.

Public Hearing for Descriptive Cataloging of Rare Materials (C) Cartographic Report

Nancy Kandoian, part of the editorial team for the DCRM (C), reported on the public hearing session. The draft text is available. Nancy will send out a link to the wiki with highlighted differences between DCRM(C) and DCRM(B). The comment period is open until July 31, 2013. E-mail comments to: dcrmc-feedback@googlegroups.com. The final document will be available online only, through Cataloger’s Desktop, and also on the web for free.

Other Discussion Topics

Min Zhang and Tammy Wong from the Library of Congress Geography and Map Division are on the CC:DA Task Force on Place Names. They report that there is a strong preference among the task force members to eliminate the use of abbreviations in place names for U.S., Canada, and Australia, a change which would have large impact on cataloging. There may also be changes to instruction sheets for larger place names that may have major impact on RDA. Min would like to share proposals with MAGIRT community for feedback.

Min Zhang announced that most of the Library of Congress cataloging documents, including subject headings, will be available online for free beginning in July 2013. Zhang also announced that the Library of Congress Geography and Map Division is working on a revised version of the Map Cataloging Manual that will incorporate RDA. It will be called the Cartographic Resource Manual and will be available free online from Library of Congress. They tentatively expect to have it finished sometime Spring 2014.

Resources for Cartographic Materials Cataloging Questions

New map catalogers should feel free to direct map cataloging questions to the LC Geography and Map Division cataloging group at mapcat@loc.gov. Also recommended for questions are the Online Audiovisual Catalogers, Inc. network (OLAC) and MAGIRT electronic mailing lists. On the MAGIRT website there is Ask a Map Librarian information where cataloging questions can be sent directly to Susan Moore and Paige Andrew.

How are institutions applying the options/alternatives available in RDA? Are they developing their own guidelines, or are they following Library of Congress practice, or are they leaving the choice up to individual catalogers? Many institutions indicated they would likely follow Library of Congress guidelines for RDA options and alternatives but may develop local procedures for some exceptions. The Library of Congress Geography and Map Division has developed procedures for using RDA. Individual catalogers, however, will be able to exercise their own judgment on certain elements.