Proposal Guide for ALCTS Authors
ALCTS Publishing, the publishing imprint of the Association for Library Collections & Technical Services, a division of the American Library Association publishes from three to seven works each year for library professionals who work in technical services: acquisitions, cataloging, collections management, continuing resources, and preservation.
ALCTS Publishing venues include:
- acquisitions guides, sudden selector’s guides, collections of papers from live events, preservation topics
- articles/essays/syllabi/white papers
- online newsletter (contact the newsletter's Editor for submission information)
- professional, peer-reviewed journal, Library Resources & Technical Services (see the instructions for LRTS Authors)
Most items are monographs, but some are collections of articles on current topics. These publications are offered in print format with PDF electronic equivalents.
Our consideration of new projects begins with your written proposal (or brief query). The ideal proposal would contain the following elements, totaling two to three pages, plus background attachments as necessary.
Project Description: A brief (300 words or less) overall description of the project, including its subject, scope, content, and approach. State what is distinctive and compelling about the project
Intended Market: Who (use job titles if possible), approximately how many, and why they need this work.
Authorship: A one-paragraph biography describing the credentials of each of the authors/editors for preparing the work, highlighting editing, writing, and other relevant experience. Also include a curriculum vitae/resume.
Competition: Brief notes on the major print and electronic resources that address your topic or a large part of it. Note the features that distinguish your project and give it a market advantage (for example, size, authority, timeliness, approach, or style).
Preliminary Table of Contents or Main Topic Outline: An outline of the major topics or a detailed preliminary table of contents.
Length of Manuscript: Projected length of the work in word count or double-spaced manuscript pages (at 275 words per double-spaced page). Also describe the type and approximate number of figures or tables you plan to include.
Writing Sample: This may include a sample chapter of the proposed work or an article representative of the writing style for the proposed work.
Special Considerations: e.g., illustrations, permissions, etc. that will be required.
ALCTS Publishing will also consider completed manuscripts, but please query before sending them.
- Jeanne Drewes, ALCTS Monographs Editor email@example.com
- Norm Mederios, LRTS Book Review Editor firstname.lastname@example.org
- Alice Platt, Editor of ALCTS Newsletter email@example.com
- Pamela Thomas, z687 Editor Pthomas@icc.edu
- Mary Beth Weber, Editor of LRTS firstname.lastname@example.org
ALCTS Publishing. American Library Association. 50 East Huron Street . Chicago, Illinois 60611