by Flora G. Shrode
Are you responsible for collection development in biology, but the most recent experience you have with the subject is a hazy memory of dissecting a frog? This volume will help you get, and stay, up to speed in the wide-ranging discipline of the life sciences. Starting with a discussion of the primary subfields of biology—from botany to ecology to zoology, with several stops in between—Flora Shrode deftly introduces the reader to a plethora of resources useful for understanding the subject as well as for collecting materials about it. Included are valuable lists of
- Core reference books, serials, and texts
- Databases, e-journal collections, and data repositories
- Selection tools, subject guides, and disciplinary review sources
- Collection management articles pertinent to the life sciences
- Current awareness sources, including professional organizations, journals, and blogs
Even the experienced biology selector will find it useful to consult this volume in the Sudden Selector’s series, for its practical guidance and in-depth annotations of resources ranging from the popular to the professional.
Published by: ALCTS | ©2012 | 6" x 9"
softcover. ISBN: 978-0-8389-8600-4 | $28.50 | order from ALA Online Store
PDF e-book. ISBN: 978-0-8389-9592-1 | $13.50 | order from ALA Online Store