a 2015 ALCTS Preconference
Friday, June 26, 8:30 a.m. – 4 p.m. | event code: ALC5 | Register
The preconference workshop will provide an overview of cataloging video recordings using Resource Description and Access (RDA), MARC21, and the newly-issued Online Audiovisual Catalogers (OLAC) best practices cataloging guides for DVD/Blu-ray discs and streaming media.
Through presentations and hands-on exercises, participants will learn to catalog current video formats such as streaming video, DVD, and Blu-ray. Specialized materials such as filmed performances (dance, music, theatre, etc.) and older video formats will also be addressed.
At the end of this preconference, participants will:
- Understand the differences between AACR2 and RDA cataloging for videorecordings
- Identify RDA elements pertaining to video recordings and encode these elements properly using MARC21
- Construct a complete basic bibliographic record using RDA, MARC21 and the OLAC Best Practices Guides
- Jeannette Ho, Director of Cataloging, Texas A&M University Libraries
- Mary Huismann, Music/Media Original Cataloger, University of Minnesota
Technical Services librarians and cataloging staff from academic, public, school, or special libraries who catalog video formats such as streaming video, DVD, Blu-ray, VHS, etc.
Register through the ALA Annual Conference web site. Add this preconference to your conference registration or register for this preconference alone.
The price of this full-day preconference is:
- $219 for ALCTS members (remember to use code ALCTS2015 to receive the discounted price)
- $269 for ALA members
- $99 for retired members and student members
- $319 for nonmembers
A continental breakfast and light refreshments during breaks will be provided.
- Online Audiovisual Catalogers (OLAC)
- ALCTS Continuing Education Committee
- Video Round Table
- ALCTS Cataloging and Metadata Management Section (CaMMS) Education Committee
Additional ALCTS Events at Annual Conference
For a listing of other conference events, visit the ALCTS conference web page.