- 2:00 PM-3:00 PM (Eastern)
- 1:00 PM-2:00 PM (Central)
- 12:00 PM-1:00 PM (Mountain)
- 11:00 AM-12:00 PM (Pacific)
The webinar was presented on December 6th, 2017. Access the recording and webinar materials now:
This webinar will identify strategies for coping with the challenges of NACO workflows today and explore proposals to shift authority work in the future from a traditional MARC-based footing to a new identity management orientation. Michelle Durocher and John Riemer of the PCC Task Group on Identity Management will describe the group's efforts to chart a new path forward for authorities that draws on linked data principles, synchronizes NACO’s work with that of other identity registries such as ISNI, and makes it easier for non-NACO libraries to contribute to the program through a more inclusive "NACO Lite" approach. Joseph Nicholson will detail some of the techniques UNC Charlotte is using to cope with a reduced authorities management staff and a backlog of names needing authorized access points. His presentation will describe how the library incorporates the work of paraprofessionals and non-catalogers and uses tools such as OpenRefine and spreadsheets to more swiftly create NACO authority records.
This webinar will:
- Explore the difference between authority control and identities management, and their relationship to linked data
- Describe the PCC Task Group on Identity Management's proposals to align NACO's work with new developments in linked data and other identity registries
- Stimulate thinking about different ways of handling and structuring authorities workflows
Who Should Attend
Catalogers, metadata librarians, and catalog maintenance librarians and staff
A recording of the webinar will be available at no charge six months from the date of the presentation.
How to Register
No registration required.
Computer with Internet access (high-speed connection is best) and media player software. Headphones recommended.
ALCTS webinars are presented through GoToWebinar. Check to see if your system supports GoToWebinar.