- 10:00 AM-6:00 PM (Eastern)
- 9:00 AM-5:00 PM (Central)
- 8:00 AM-4:00 PM (Mountain)
- 7:00 AM-3:00 PM (Pacific)
Libraries increasingly rely on vendor-supplied records to improve efficiency and reduce duplication of effort. The quality of records may vary widely, and libraries may also need to make changes for local systems or workflows. Batch processing can be an efficient strategy to correct or enhance sets of records, but the power of batch processing tools also comes with many challenges and complexities. In this e-Forum, we will discuss the technical and organizational opportunities associated with managing vendor records, including issues of quality, techniques and tools for batch processing and loading, and workflows and best practices for vendor record sets.
In this e-Forum, attendees will:
- Share strategies for evaluating bibliographic quality of vendor records
- Discuss tools for working with vendor records and share pros, cons, and tips
- Share workflows, advice, and best practices around working with vendor records
- Discuss the organizational strategies to handle the impact of increased reliance on vendor records and batch processes.
- Discuss the impact of the overlap between MARC record “solutions” such as Alma Community Zone, Sierra Coverage Load, OCLC Collection Manager, and EBSCO Metadata Partners, on workflows for batch loading vendor records.
Who Should Attend
Anyone with an interest in batch processes, bibliographic record quality control, or vendor-supplied records.
Ethan Fenichel is the E-Resources Access Management Librarian at the Florida Atlantic University. His responsibilities include developing and overseeing workflows for ingesting MARC records in batch. Ethan handles automation but with safety gloves. Find him on Twitter at @ethandf.
Ariel Turner is the Interim Director of Technical Services at Kennesaw State University in Kennesaw, Georgia. She has previously worked as the Discovery Librarian and the Automation and Batch Cataloging Librarian, also at Kennesaw State.
Susan Wynne recently became the Catalog Management Librarian (unofficial title: Catalog Wrangler) at the University of Iowa. Previously, she worked at Georgia State University and the University of Wyoming. Susan is chair of the CaMMS Executive Committee for 2017-2018. Find her on Twitter at @wynne_susan.
How to Register
You must register your email address to subscribe to or access an electronic discussion list on ALA's Mailing List Service. Find instructions for subscribing online.
Once you have registered for one e-Forum, you do not need to register again, unless you choose to leave the list. Find instructions for unsubscribing.
Internet connection with email address. You can manage your subscription to this list following the online instructions.
For questions about registration, contact ALA Registration by calling 1-800-545-2433 and press 5 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
For all other questions or comments related to the webinars, contact Megan Dougherty, ALCTS Program Officer, Continuing Education at 1-800-545-2433, ext. 5038 or email@example.com.