- How do you switch specialties within cataloging/metadata?
- How do you switch from another specialty to cataloging/metadata?
- How can your career evolve and progress if management is not desirable/possible?
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of staying with one institution vs. moving from library to library?
- How do hiring committees view moves for career progression?
- How do you move from academic to public libraries, or vice versa, as a cataloger?
- What are the career advancement possibilities for cataloging/metadata staff who do not hold the MLS/MLIS?
Understanding of possible career paths for catalogers and metadata creators
Who Should Attend
This e-Forum will be of particular interest to those who work in cataloging/metadata creation, but anyone with an interest in the topic can benefit from this session and is welcome to participate.
Stacie Traill is the Metadata Analyst at the University of Minnesota Libraries. She has previously held positions at the same institution as Cartographic and Electronic Resources Cataloger and Special Formats Cataloging Coordinator. She is currently president of OLAC (Online Audiovisual Catalogers), and a member of the CaMMS Mentoring and Recruitment Committee.
Lisa Robinson is the Catalog Librarian and History of Science/Technology/Medicine Bibliographer at Michigan State University.
How to Register
You must register your email address to subscribe to or access an electronic discussion list on ALA's Mailing List Service. Find instructions for subscribing online.
Once you have registered for one e-forum, you do not need to register again, unless you choose to leave the list. Find instructions for unsubscribing.
Internet connection with email address. You can manage your subscription to this list following the online instructions.