Partner to Celebrate Preservation Week
1. Why partner to celebrate Preservation Week?*
- Strengthen community
- Reach new audiences—increase participation
- Inspire others
2. Potential partners
- Museums and historical societies
- University, business, or other archives
- K-12 schools or classrooms
- Graduate library or museum studies programs
- Local businesses
- Collector’s groups
- Community organizations
3. Tips for successful partnerships
- Don’t always start by asking for money.
- Start small, build relationships over time.
- Develop a clear goal for this partnership—what will it achieve? What does each party bring to the table?
- Meet face to face with partner decision makers to present your vision.
- Use bullet points, simple language, and no more than 10 points to describe your vision and purpose.
- Draw up a written agreement that details responsibilities and resolves questions—it may take a several meetings.
- Meet regularly to discuss progress and perceptions with partners.
- Keep all stakeholders informed (use e-mail, meetings, or another strategy).
- Plan internally about next steps for the relationship.
- No partnership is forever—plan for separation in advance.
- Thank your partner—in writing, in meetings, in public, and often!
*Adapted from: Top 10 Tips for Successful Community Partnerships, Ourcommunity.com.au. See www.libraries.vic.gov.au/downloads/Seminar_Presentations/top_ten_partnership_tips__patrick_moriarty.pdf