Division-level Committee and Interest Group Activity

Reports on Division-level Committee and Interest Group Activity

Affiliate Relations Committee

Reported by Elaine Franco

The Affiliate Relations Committee met on Sunday, January 27, 2013 at 1 p.m.

  • Approved application for affiliation from Alaska Library Association Cataloging Roundtable; ALCTS Board subsequently voted to approve affiliation.
  • Susan Mueller has agreed to coordinate Affiliate Showcase for ALA Annual 2013.
  • Naomi Young has agreed to continue as the ARC social media coordinator.
  • Affiliates will be encouraged to update any statements of affiliation included in their bylaws (if any) or on their websites, especially to delete language referring to the former Council of Regional Groups.
  • A statement of purpose will be developed for the alcts-affiliates@ala.org electronic discussion list; wider use of the list among ALCTS leaders will be encouraged, including solicitation of publications and webinars from the affiliates and publicity for ALCTS CE offerings.
  • ARC will recruit an ALCTS liaison to ALA Chapter Relations Committee through our affiliate network.
  • Affiliate directory and e-mail list will be updated.
  • ALA Connect space for ARC and the affiliates could be better organized and utilized. There are display problems in Connect. Christine McConnell has helped with some fixes.
  • Elaine Franco, Chair, will revise affiliate assignments for 2013 and will disseminate best practices for tracking assigned affiliates.

ALCTS Budget and Finance Committee

Submitted by Emily McElroy

The committee met on Sunday, January 27, 2013 at 2:45 p.m. The committee reviewed all of the fiscal year (FY) 2012, FY13 and preliminary FY14 budget reports. FY12 was a good year for ALCTS despite the poor economic conditions, unbudgeted but expected expenses, publications produced late in the year, and an overall downturn in ALA memberships. Overall revenue was up 1.3 percent, but below FY11 levels. Membership numbers decreased for the first time in several years, down 7.4 percent. Dues revenue once again was not enough to cover the administrative costs and operations of ALCTS. The Administration project was negative by $43,000. Unless dues revenue increases, this will be an ever-growing deficit. This reduced our reserve to $340,263, a 2 percent drop. We still have ample reserve to enhance a number of projects such as Preservation Week, publishing, the Transforming Collections initiative and the institutional repository. Continuing problem areas for this year were LRTS subscriptions, a lack of timely publications, and further deterioration of membership dues revenue. Unbudgeted projects funded this year: enhanced Preservation Week presence (giveaways, booths and spokesperson), temporary part-time CE staff, and grants for LRTS and Transforming Collections (about $26,000 total).

The first quarter of fiscal year 2013 finished at the end of November. The first quarter shows that one of our chief indicators, dues, stands below budget by $3,500 and about $2,000 below FY12. As of August 2012, ALCTS had 4,236 members in good standing. This is still a cause of concern which will be monitored closely. Continuing Education and preconference revenue will be crucial again this year to maintain a healthy net positive balance in the budget.

Prior to ALA Midwinter, the Budget and Finance Committee updated the ALCTS Financial Plan. The Board of Directors approved the updated plan at one of its Midwinter meetings. The Financial Plan outlines six strategies or areas under financial consideration: increasing membership base and membership revenue; providing cost-effective continuing education and professional development programs; publishing quality, cost-effective publications; expanding fundraising efforts for one-time and continuing education programs, as well as initiate a general fundraising effort; maintaining a cost-efficient ALCTS staff operation and infrastructure; actively encourage the strategic use of the reserve; identify requirements for the financial sustainability of ALCTS; and develop new revenue and growth areas.

The committee also discussed revenue generation and the different conversations that ALCTS Executive Director Charles Wilt and Emily McElroy, Budget & Finance Committee Chair, were holding with Division Chairs and the ALCTS Board.

Continuing Education Committee

Reported by Keri Cascio

The ALCTS Continuing Education Committee met from 1 to 2:30 p.m. on Sunday, January 27, 2013. Carolynne Myall and Genevieve Owens visited to discuss current board initiatives, task forces, and the committee appointment process. Charles Wilt spoke about the importance of financial stability for the division. He stressed that there’s a need for consistent and sustainable methods of income, and remarked that the ALCTS Continuing Education Committee has borne the brunt of creating revenue for the division. The committee discussed webinar ideas and schedules, the development of new webcourses, and plans for 2013 e-Forums. Debra Spidal has been handling marketing for the committee. As she is going off the committee this year, she asked for a volunteer to shadow her to take over in the fall. After the meeting concluded, Jane Rosario agreed to step into this role. The committee had been asked to develop Spanish-language offerings in the fall. We have so far been unsuccessful in marketing RDA webinars in Spanish, and will continue to reach out to the library community in Spanish-speaking countries to create opportunities for continuing education. Other committee highlights through December 2012:

  • There are more than 3,500 subscribers to the ALCTS e-forum electronic discussion list.
  • Thirteen webcourses were offered between July and December 2012; more than 200 people attended ALCTS web courses.
  • Sixteen webinars were offered between July and December 2012; there were 890 individual registrations and 331 group registrations for webinars.

ALCTS Fundraising Committee

Reported by Lenore England

The Fundraising Committee met at ALA Midwinter on Sunday, January 27 at 1 p.m. Members discussed our fundraising efforts to date and suggestions for improvements, as well as the status of fundraising efforts. We are at 115 percent in donations from last year. The committee chair thanked everyone on the committeee for their great efforts. Fundraising is very much a team effort, and the committee members' contributions are very much appreciated.

We raised $10,000 to date from the following vendors in support of ALCTS events and programs. On behalf of the ALCTS Fundraising Committee and ALCTS Board, we thank the vendors for their most generous support and we are very grateful for these donations.

  • Archival Products, $1,000, Preservation of family photographs: here, there, and everywhere
  • Gaylord, $1,000, Archival 101: Dealing with Suppliers of Archival Products
  • Harrassowitz, $1,500, Fundamentals of Electronic Resources Acquisitions
  • OCLC, $1,500, Linked Data for Holdings and Cataloging: The first step is the hardest!
  • Preservation Technologies, $1,000, Personal Digital Archiving - Preservation of Personal Digital Items
  • YBP Library Services, $4,000, ALCTS Midwinter Reception

The committee uses a donation tracking spreadsheet and we discussed updates to the spreadsheet, in terms of specific donations and assignments. We also established an ALA Connect landing page for all documentation. Both the spreadsheet and Connect site have successfully streamlined the fundraising operations this year.

Future goals: The committee members will be reviewing ALCTS preliminary programs at ALA Annual and making asks for donations as needed. We will also be looking at general funding for ALCTS from family or private foundations. The committee created a Sponsorship Level document for potential donors, which will be revised to include to include more specific benefits.

International Relations Committee

Reported by David Miller

The committee met on Sunday, January 27, 2013 at 1:30 p.m.

Discussion of ALCTS Course Grant Award

The first two awardees for 2013 have been notified. The committee agreed that, due to the number of highly qualified applicants, those who received grants last year would not receive them this year. They will receive a polite communication notifying them of this decision and inviting them to apply for 2014.

Our policies and procedures for this award have developed over time, but are not all documented in one place. We will pull this documention together from committee minutes.

IFLA Standing Committee Nominations

All nominations coming from ALCTS, for the 2013–2017 period, have been submitted to the ALA International Relations Office.

Programming

We discussed the possibilities of a forum for Midwinter 2014, and a program for Annual 2014. Likely topics include international copyright/digital rights management, and global linked data initiatives.

Other

We plan to update and redo a survey of ALCTS international members originally sent a few years ago. We also discussed ways to increase the perceived value of ALCTS membership to international colleagues and enhanced communication via targeted e-mail and a possible Facebook page with a focus on international members.

Leadership Development Committee

Reported by Miranda Bennett

The committee met on Sunday, January 27, 2013 at 1 p.m. The committee accomplished the following tasks:

  • Planned ALA Annual 2013 program, "Grow Your Own: Developing NextGen Leaders in Your Library and the Profession." Speakers to invite were identified, and marketing strategies were discussed.
  • Planned ALCTS new chair orientation webinar; discussed with ALCTS Interest Group Coordinator Dale Swensen how to address issues specific to IG chairs.
  • Discussed topic of interest to committee: "virtual leadership"; decided to begin preliminary work on this topic with a goal of proposing a program for ALA Annual 2014.

Library and Materials Price Index (LMPI) Editorial Board

Reported by Narda Tafuri

The committee met on Sunday, January 27, 2013 at 4:30 p.m.

Editor's Report

Narda announced that the 2013 article is due to her from the compiler's by March 1, 2013. Stephen Bosch and George Aulisio have submitted their articles and they are being reviewed. Frederick Lynden has submitted preliminary data.

Compiler Reports

U.S. Periodicals Price Index Update

Kittie Henderson reported on the original construction of the USPPI. She has requested from EBSCO a new performa with 2013 pricing and no prepriced titles. She is using the original title list that was used by Brenda Dingley, but is replacing titles not currently found with the most currently ordered serials. This should make creating the index almost automatic. The index date will most likely need to be reset.

She and Stephen Bosch will be meeting in about two weeks. After they have had a chance to review the data a conference call will be scheduled with the rest of the LMPI Board to see if we can move ahead with this index in time for this year's article. If the USPPI cannot be created in time for this year's article we will produce Table 8, Average Price of Serials.

Information Today and Article Download

The possibility of selling the LMPI article on the Information Today website was discussed by the LMPI board members. Catherine Barr reported that Information Today is not interested in doing something that they would have to put a lot of money into; they also would not want to jeopardize sales of the Almanac. It was felt that there was a great deal of risk in selling the article separate from the book. There exists the possibility of selling the article after the book is published in an enhanced format, such as making the data available in a more useable format such as Excel for a nominal fee.

Survey to Electronic Discussion Lists

Narda suggested that it might be a good marketing tool to put out a survey on the various lists, like Acqnet, SERIALST, COLLD-V, to gauge knowledge and use of the indexes that LMPI prepares and publishes. Narda will work on putting together survey questions which will first be sent to the Board for review, and then shown to Information Today before submitting it to the ALCTS office. A summary of the survey results will be published in ALCTS Newsletter Online.

Membership Committee

Reported by Deborah A. Ryszka

The Membership Committee met on January 27, 2013 from 1 to 3 p.m. It approved minutes from the 2012 annual meeting in Anaheim. The minutes of that meeting have been posted in the committee’s space in ALA Connect.

The committee discussed plans for the upcoming ALCTS 101 program that will be held on Friday, June 28, 2013 from 7:30 to 9 p.m. in Chicago. This year’s program will be a collaborative event planned by the Membership Committee and the ALCTS New Members Interest Group (ANMIG). Members of the committee stated a preference for holding this year’s event in a location other than the McCormick Convention Center. Because of the location of the McCormick Center, the committee felt that if ALCTS 101 were held there, attendance would be low. The chair agreed to talk with ALCTS staff about finding an alternate location for this year’s ALCTS 101.

The committee offered suggestions for the content of ALCTS 101 in Chicago, but decided, for the most part, to keep the content and structure of the event the same as last year and the year before. Depending on location and time for the event, adjustments could be made to the number of speed-dating tables at the event, as well as length of time guests spent at a particular table.

The committee also discussed staffing the ALCTS space in the ALA Pavilion in the exhibits in Chicago and decided not to pursue this activity. Committee members did staff the ALA Pavilion during the opening of the exhibits in Anaheim and saw little traffic in this area of the exhibits. Based on that work, the committee decided it didn’t need to man the ALCTS space in the ALA Pavilion during the opening of the exhibits in Chicago.

At this conference, members of the committee staffed a table at the ALCTS member reception on Saturday evening, where they greeted current and potential ALCTS members and handed out ALCTS giveaways. Those committee members who participated in this activity enjoyed the event and the evening. The ALCTS giveaways and ribbons were a big hit with attendees, according to the committee members who participated in the evening. After a brief discussion, the committee agreed that it would like to continue with this activity at the Midwinter Conference in Philadelphia in January 2014.

The chair represented ALCTS at the NMRT Conference Orientation program in Seattle and reported to the committee her impressions of this program. She thought it was a worthwhile event and felt that the committee should participate in this event every conference. This program is heavily attended and is a great way to reach out to early career librarians and library school students. The chair took ALCTS promotional materials and ALCTS giveaways, which were both very popular.

The committee discussed the possibility of ALCTS pursuing the establishment of a dues category for retired members. Currently, ALCTS has dues categories for the following membership types: personal, support staff, student, international, and organizational. The chair circulated a document with information on dues options for retired members in ALA prior to the committee’s meeting in Seattle. The committee used this document as the basis for discussion of the topic at Midwinter. The chair will compile the comments generated from this discussion and submit them to the ALCTS President.

At the end of its meeting, the committee met jointly with members of the Leadership Development Committee for fifteen minutes. The purpose of this joint meeting was to determine if there were common areas of interest or programming where the two committees could help each other. The Membership Committee talked about its attendance at the NMRT Conference Orientation, its help with the ALCTS New Members Interest Group’s mentor/mentee program, and its upcoming plans for ALCTS 101 in Chicago. The Leadership Development Committee updated the Membership Committee on their preparations for planning a program on succession planning at annual conference in Chicago and their plans for hosting webinars on topics related to leadership. To increase communication and familiarity with each other, the committees will try this joint meeting approach again in Chicago.

On behalf of ALCTS and the Membership Committee, the chair attended a meeting of the ALA Membership Promotion Task Force while in Seattle. The topics of discussion for the meeting: the dues adjustment proposal being discussed throughout the ALA membership and membership retention. The chair’s notes from this meeting will be sent to committee members electronically and will be posted in the committee’s ALA Connect space.

Organization and Bylaws Committee

Reported by Marie Waltz

The O&B Committee met on Sunday, January 27, 2013 at 1 p.m.

Discussion of Renewals

These renewals were recommended for board approval:

  • Technical Service Managers in Academic Libraries Interest Group
  • ALCTS Planning Committee
  • Cataloging and Metadata Management Section (CaMMS)

Other actions:

  • We still have questions regarding how the Role of Professional Librarian in Technical Services Interest Group works.
  • We received Technical Services Workflow Efficiency Interest Group at Midwinter so it was tabled for a later discussion.
  • We have not received the review form from the Program Committee.

ALCTS Paper Series Board

Reported by Jeanne Drewes

The Paper Series Board met on Friday, January 25, 2013 at 4 p.m.

The ALCTS Paper Series has been renamed the ALCTS Monographs, approved by ALCTS Board prior to Midwinter.

Currently there are four publications in various stages of development:

The Critical Component: Standards in the Information Exchange Environment. Jeanne Drewes reported that this monograph is on track to be completed or near completion by summer 2013. She is the lead on this publication.

Disaster Planning for High-Density Storage Facilities. This title will be changed to cover broader issues in disaster planning. Randy Roeder and Jeanne Drewes are leads for this title. A new working title will be developed and will include the subtitle “loss and recovery.” Other topics to cover are affect of disaster on staff morale, terrorist attacks, disasters in the broadest sense. The SAA and ALA Publishing have negotiated and will collaborate to publish this monograph with expected publication in 2014 or early 2015.

How to Use Print Repositories and Digital Surrogates. Dawn Hale and Wynona Van Duinenkerken are the leads on this title. They will tighten up the concept to cover print repositories in shared systems, including how single copies are retained and shared within a system. Publication date expected 2014 or 2015.

Linked Data. The board decided that a monograph could include collection preservation and making accessible large data sets. Michele Seikel and Ed Jones are the leads on this publication. This may be a good title to test publishing in chapters for timeliness of the topic. This is a concept for publishing that has been discussed with the ALCTS office as part of a e-publishing development. No date for publication determined.

ALCTS Planning Committee

Reported by Andrew Hart

The ALCTS Planning Committee met on Sunday, January 27, 2013, during the ALCTS All-Committee meeting at 1 p.m.

The committee discussed the ALCTS institutional repository as an alternative or complement to ALA Connect for tracking strategic activity. Projecting that implementation of the IR and updating the strategic plan will conclude at about the same time, the committee agreed to suspend work on version control solutions specific to ALA Connect. Instead, the committee will seek more information about the IR and investigate how it could be used for this purpose.

Most of the meeting was devoted to discussion of the strategic planning process. Prior to the conference, the Planning Committee provided feedback on strategic planning ideas from ALCTS Executive Committee. ALCTS President Carolynne Myall asked the Planning Committee to expand upon past comments and help frame discussion at the January 28 ALCTS Board meeting. The Planning Committee formulated preliminary recommendations:

  • Adopt the Executive Committee's general idea of building in measures of success.
  • Develop companion documents or a way to present high level and tactical content in such a way that readily conveys a sense of priorities.
  • Engage ALCTS leaders and membership in identifying strategic issues and measures of success.
  • Continue fostering engagement after the plan has been updated.

In the current approach to tracking, Planning Committee members cull relevant information from committee, interest group, and liaison reports, and enter this information into the tracking site on behalf of the division. This approach has been successful as a way to make sure information is recorded, however, it is labor intensive for Committee members and will not be sustainable with a more detailed strategic plan and greater emphasis on assessing outcomes. The committee recommended increasing the role of chairs and liaisons in entering tracking information. In addition to addressing sustainability, a more distributed workload would draw broader attention to the strategic plan and foster engagement. Reducing the amount of time Planning Committee members spend on data entry would enable greater attention to analyzing tracking information.

In advance of Midwinter, the Planning Committee underwent a periodic review by ALCTS Organization and Bylaws. As part of its self-assessment, the Planning Committee recommended updating its charge to clarify responsibilities and more accurately reflect the scope of the division. During the Midwinter meeting, the Committee continued discussion of its charge and set a goal of submitting by Annual Conference a revised charge for approval by the ALCTS Board.

ALCTS Program Committee

Reported by Catherine Gardiner

The Program Committee met on Saturday, January 26, 2013 at 8:30 a.m. with the planners of ten programs and three preconferences in the course of its two meetings. A total of twelve programs, including the President's and the Affiliates Showcase, and four in-person preconferences are scheduled for Annual 2013. There is a good mix of topics, which include managing projects, tools for creating metadata, consortial DDA purchasing, staff retooling, RDF and ontologies, and publishing with ALCTS. Some of the programs were in the final stages of development, and the committee contributed suggestions for speakers, cosponsors, enhancing titles or descriptions for others. Planners were reminded that this year ALCTS will institute the practice of recording the audio portion of programs. In the next few months, the Program Committee will be focusing on adding virtual preconferences to be scheduled shortly before Annual 2013.

Charles Wilt spoke to the members about program planning for 2014. Since no changes are expected in the timeslots, the committee should think about programs that will fit them, i.e., what types of formats would work best in shorter timespans. The need for more virtual preconferences, to offset decrease in attendance at conferences and to serve those who cannot attend, was emphasized.

During the Program Committee's business meeting, the following items were identified as needing action or further discussion:

  • Send an e-mail to planners about considering other venues and formats for follow-ups to their programs.
  • Revise proposal forms; add a part about different formats to try: lightning rounds, "unconference" model, cafe style, debates.
  • Compile a list of desired topics for programs similar to what the Publications Committee did.

Descriptions of the 2013 Annual ALCTS programs are available from http://www.ala.org/alcts/events/ala/ac; preconferences and registration information for these are online at http://ala13.ala.org/ticketed-events

Please consider submitting a proposal for Annual 2014. A call for proposals will be sent out in late spring. ALCTS topics of current interest from any groups within ALCTS, or in partnership with those in another division, or from individuals are welcome.

Publications Committee

Reported by M. Dina Giambi

The committee met on Sunday, January 27, 2013 at 1 p.m. Chairs of the publication committees of the five ALCTS sections presented updates on the activities of their groups.

Acquisitions Section Publications Committee Chair Wyoma VanDuinkerken passed around a copy of Guide to Implementing and Managing Patron-Driven Acquisitions, part of the Acquisitions Guides Series. The completed manuscript of Guide to Ethics in Acquisitions will be submitted very soon.

Cataloging and Metadata Management Section Research and Publications Committee Chair Kavita Mundle stated that a submission on linked data was posted on ALA Connect, and one on SKOS (Simple Knowledge Organization System) will be submitted in the future.

Collection Management Section Publications Committee Chair Michael Levine-Clark discussed the Sudden Selectors Guides with Guides Editor Helene Williams. The series has proven to be very useful and efforts to publicize it should be expanded. Michael presented a publication proposal for a new guide, Sudden Selector’s Guide to Philosophy Resources, which was approved by the committee. The manuscript should be completed by January 2014.

Continuing Resources Section Education, Research, and Publications Committee Chair Mavis Molto reported that a discussion forum and chat have been used to discuss publication goals and priorities.

Preservation & Reformatting Section (PARS) Program, Planning and Publications Committee Chair Mary Miller stated that Planning and Constructing Book and Paper Conservation Laboratories: a Guidebook was published in fall 2012. It will fill an important need in the literature. PARS is talking with LITA (Library and Information Technology Association) about digital preservation topics. Mary and ALCTS Monographs Editor Jeanne Drewes plan to discuss the possible needs for publications about print and shared repositories.

ALCTS Production Manager Christine McConnell reported four new ALCTS publications were being offered for sale in the ALA bookstore in Seattle: Guide to Implementing and Managing Patron-Driven Acquisitions, Planning and Constructing Book and Paper Conservation Laboratories: A Guidebook, Sudden Selector’s Guide to Biology Resources, and Sudden Selector’s Guide to Chemistry Resources. The sales of these titles to date have been very good.

ALCTS Monographs Editor Jeanne Drewes shared that a book on standards should be completed in a few months. It focuses on the value of standards and why librarians need to know about them. It will be the first publication under the ALCTS Monographs name, formerly the ALCTS Paper Series. In the absence of z687 Editor Pamela Thomas, Jeanne reminded everyone that white papers and time-sensitive topics might be good fits for this venue.

Dina Giambi and the editors of the four division publications, ALCTS Monographs, ALCTS Newsletter Online (ANO), Library Resources and Technical Services (LRTS), and z687: Creating the Future of Technical Services have been using a electronic discussion list to communicate and exchange ideas.

ANO Editor Alice Platt reported that having liaisons from each ALCTS section to ANO has been successful. The top five new titles suggested for ANO will go out to the entire membership for a vote after Midwinter. The logo and overall redesign will occur prior to Annual 2013. There will be more timely news feeds and ALCTS blogs.

Library Materials Price Index (LMPI) Editor Narda Tafuri stated that the LMPI Committee has been updating the 2009 and 2010 indexing. Narda plans to do more publicity for the next article to increase visibility about the wealth of the cost data provided by LMPI. A survey is planned to gauge people’s awareness of it.

Mary Beth Weber, LRTS Editor as of January 2013, reported that the LRTS Board has been considering a methodology for keeping authors updated about the progress of their articles through the process from submission to publication. Authors whose articles don’t fit LRTS are directed to other ALCTS publications.

Chicago Program Subcommittee Co-Chair Erica Findley stated that “Publish with ALCTS!” will be held on Saturday, June 29 from 1-2:30 p.m. most likely in McCormick Place.

Dina reported that plans were going smoothly for the ALCTS Forum, “Lead, Publish, and Teach with ALCTS!” to be held on Monday, January 28 from 10:30 to 11:30 a.m. She and Alice would speak about publishing, with Jeanne and Mary Beth also be in attendance. Dina will have several handouts at the forum including a copy of the list of desired publication topics developed by the Publications Committee.

Erica shared information in her role as the member guide to the group of four ALA Emerging Leaders who chose the project submitted by the Publications Committee. Their assignment is to develop three sustainable business models for LRTS that will be presented to the LRTS Board and the ALCTS Board for consideration.

Interest Groups

Creative Ideas in Technical Services Interest Group

Reported by Wyoma vanDuinkerken

A total of twenty-two public, school, and academic librarians, along with a handful of graduate students studying Library and Information Science, attended the meeting. In August 2012, Chairperson Wyoma vanDuinkerken, Texas A&M University, and Chair-Elect/Vice Chair Lynn Fields, Southern Illinois University-Edwardsville, met virtually to discuss possible topics for the meeting. After surveying the current literature, three specific topics peaked our interest, and were selected for discussion at the meeting.

Tracey Olanyik, head of technical services unit at the University of Pittsburgh, facilitated "Breaking Down or Building Up Silos in Technical Services." Violeta Ilik, a cataloging librarian from Texas A&M, facilitated "Best Practices on Metadata Reuse," and Jeanne Drewes, chief of bindings and collections care at Library of Congress, lead the discussion on "Eye on Preservation in Technical Services." The discussions were lively and each table's participants were very engaged.

LITA/ALCTS Electronic Resources Management Interest Group

This group did not submit a report, but their session was recorded and is available online to view. The submitted theme of the session was “Meeting the Challenge: Successful electronic resources management in the absence of a perfect system.” The session focused on the best practices, creative approaches and local techniques that individual libraries use in order to manage and perform daily responsibilities. The recording can be found on http://eventscribe.com/2013/ALA-Midwinter/aaSearchByPresentation.asp (search for Electronic Resources Management in the title list).

LITA/ALCTS Linked Data Interest Group

Reported by Debra Shapiro

The ALCTS/LITA Linked Library Data Interest Group hosted a managed discussion on Sunday, January 27 at 10:30 a.m. Between forty and fifty people attended. We considered this turnout quite good; we'd anticipated low attendance due to another concurrent linked data session (the BIBFRAME report). We almost canceled our discussion because of this conflict, underestimating the general need to discuss linked data issues.

We opted to host a presentation facilitated discussion, as described online at http://connect.ala.org/node/197451. Our speaker was David Talley from the Learning Linked Data Project (http://lld.ischool.uw.edu/wp/learning/inventory/). David talked for about 15 minutes. He described his completed project, which explored the processes and people involved in teaching and learning linked data.

Five tables and four predetermined facilitators had been established to expand upon this excellent groundwork. Three of the facilitators were from the Learning Linked Data Project (David Talley, Joe Tennis and Mike Crandall), and discussions at those tables were very lively and participants seemed very engaged, asking lots of questions. The fourth table was facilitated by Theo Gerontakos, co-chair of the ALCTS/LITA Linked Library Data Interest Group, and that table had a very lively and interesting conversation also. The fifth table was not assigned a facilitator however, and a person from that table reported that the talk was confused, with major emphasis on return-on-investment (ROI). The problem, as reported, was that nobody at the table knew much about linked data, so nobody felt particularly able to discuss topics presented in the presentation.

Other than that, the discussions were very active, and topics discussed included:

  • Using the Achievement Standards Network (ASN);
  • Moving catalogs to linked data;
  • Massaging data with two online tools, Google Refine and with Open Refine;
  • Creating native linked data that interacts with other, external linked data sets;
  • Open vs. closed linked data, and how some data cannot be open. In this discussion, it was noted how some for-profit organizations will make use of other organizations’ open linked data in their linked data workflows, but refuse to open their own data/ontologies/schemas unless there is some clear advantage in doing so. Also in this discussion there arose considerations about the creation and use of (closed) linked data on intranets;
  • Launching linked data projects, and what projects are well-suited to getting started. Some candidates for early efforts were directories, bibliographies, citation indexes, thesauri, digital library metadata;
  • Validating linked data with ontologies;
  • Creating ontologies with the open source software Protégé (http://protege.stanford.edu/);
  • Learning linked data on-the-job, on-the-fly, on-the-go, and some of the results of that, like how it produces a patchy view of the total picture, how it does not allow a broad overview of all the linked data technologies, but by necessity focuses on specific tools needed to produce a narrow range of outputs.This was contrasted against the total view of learning linked data technologies presented by the Learning Linked Data Project;
  • Creating use cases and other models while many are on the verge of launching linked data initiatives; some community that could provide support in this area would be valuable. It was even noted that some of us are asked to "do linked data" without having a single use case to work with. Use cases that contrast to linked data for large repositories could be developed too: maybe data structures for small, short-term topic resources on hot current issues, for example. Another seed for a use case: the linked data publisher exposes and consumes linked data, in part for promotion and market interaction.
  • Making web pages more discoverable using linked data (i.e. microdata);
  • Pitching linked data to administrators might be helped by (1) a collaborative pitch from both tech services and public services, (2) demonstrations of linked data that works well, (3) leveraging a view of the future that proposes linked data is inevitable, and that we must lay the groundwork now before we find ourselves lost (this was described as “the fear factor”);
  • Using BBC's site as an example of how elements from multiple sources combine to form a topic resource;
  • Offering full courses (not just modules in courses) on linked data in information schools (it was pointed out that the University of Washington iSchool offers INFX 538 dedicated to semantic web metadata: http://bit.ly/Vh8luA); it was noted most nuts-and-bolts classes are in computer science programs, not information schools: perhaps their use cases are too abstract to convince librarians? But there was agreement that a course taught jointly by library and computer science faculty would be useful (maybe with the functional requirements from the library, implementation from computer science?);
  • Working with the probability that advocacy and practical value appear to be trumping instruction in the nuts & bolts of linked data;
  • Creating positions in the library that are natural destinations for linked data; some libraries are in the process of transforming “catalogers” into “metadata specialists,” for example; one library has a "linking librarian" position focused on combining related resources for patron needs;
  • Exposing data, mashup with Wikipedia, and much of the activities associated with creating linked data is something libraries appear to be more than willing to do;
  • Disseminating information using regional, in-person workshops and other online educational events are important, a need for these in-person events was expressed.

A lot was discussed! Linked data does get people talking.

ALCTS/LITA MARC Formats Transition Interest Group

This group did not submit a report, but Diane Hillmann's presentation “Lossless MARC Mapping” is available on SlideShare: http://www.slideshare.net/smartbroad/lossless-marc-mapping-16509613

Metadata Interest Group

Reported by Teressa Keenan

On Sunday, January 27, 2013 at 8:30 a.m., the program began with two presentations related to preservation metadata. Sandy Card from Binghampton University in New York presented a session entitled "Creating a metadata portal and workflows for a digital preservation repository." Some of the key points included:

  • Backups are not preservation
  • There is a need for preservation (corrupt files, formats become obsolete)
  • Her institution chose Rosetta as a preservation solution
  • Used Dublin Core as main metadata schema
  • Metadata librarians become project managers.

The second program: "Incompatible or interoperable? A METS bridge for a small gap between two digital preservation software packages" was presented by Aaron Collie and Lucas Mark. They provided an overview of their project to integrate workflows between Fedora and Archivematica. They also described how they were able to create a bridge for managing data between the two systems.

The business meeting followed the two programs. There were a number of reports related to programming and from the LITA, CC:DA, and Music Library Association liaisons. Elections for the following positions will take place at ALA Annual meeting:

  • Vice-Chair/Chair elect
  • Secretary
  • Program co-chair

If interested in serving on this committee, please contact Teressa Keenan (teressa.keenan@umontana.edu)

New Members Interest Group

Reported by Elizabeth Siler

The ALCTS New Members Interest Group's session was held on Saturday, January 23, 2013 at 10:30 a.m. It focused on how to get involved in ALCTS. ALCTS President Carolynne Myall and President Elect Genevieve Owens spoke at the beginning of the event on the different ways you can get involved and encouraging new members to fill out the volunteer form to be appointed to committees. Next Dina Giambi, the chair of the Publications Committee, spoke of the publishing opportunities in ALCTS, a subject of great interest for both new and veteran members. After the speakers finished their remarks, two to three new members were paired with one veteran member to network and to discuss the benefits of being an ALCTS member including the volunteer opportunities within the organization. At the end of the program the Chair and Chair-Elect of the ALCTS New Members Interest Group raffled off five Starbucks gift cards for the new and perspective members that attended the session. The group felt the session a success in introducing perspective and new members to ALCTS, possibly gaining new membership from the event.

Public Libraries Technical Services Interest Group

Reported by Megan Dazey

The Public Libraries Technical Services Interest Group met on Saturday, January 26, 2013 at 8:30 a.m. A group discussion was held about assessment in technical services. This discussion was inspired by discussions taking place on the AUTOCAT electronic discussion list. Attendees discussed what is or isn't working at their institution, what limitations they have encountered and ideas for overcoming limitations.

Publisher/Vendor/Library Relations Interest Group

Reported by William Kulp

The PVLR IG met on Saturday, January 26, 2013 at 4:30 p.m. to finalize plans for our Midwinter Forum on enhanced e-books scheduled for Monday, January 28 at 8:30 a.m. Ellen Gibson, one of the interest group co-chairs, planned to introduce the panel.

The committee discussed possible topics for our Forum at ALA Annual in Chicago. A number of ideas were presented, but the attendees kept returning to the idea of focusing on the relationship among the three parties. What causes problems in the relationship? How are these problems solved or ameliorated? What are the ethical considerations in the relationship? Are there state laws or university guidelines that cover gifts that may or may not be received by librarians from vendors or publishers? What are the benefits to using vendors for either libraries or publishers? Why do publishers go it alone and sell directly to libraries? Why do libraries try to make deals directly with publishers? What content is included in an e-book platform? How does a publisher decide? These are some of the questions that were raised by the attendees about the publisher, vendor, library relationship in a time of immense change.

Other topics mentioned included: e-books, pricing transparency, discounting, the RFP process, PDA or DDA, and MARC records. We plan to focus on the relationships theme at our forum at ALA Annual with the understanding that “we’re all in this together.”

Role of the Professional Librarian in Technical Services Interest Group

Reported by Allison Yanos

On Saturday, January 26, 2013 at 10:30 a.m., the interest group was opened by co-chair Allison Yanos, who welcomed everyone to the session and introduced her co-chair, Charles McElroy, and the co-vice chairs, Betsy Appleton and Stephanie Gehring.

The session consisted of two presentations. The first was given by Anastasia Guimaraes and Andrea Langhurst of the University of Notre Dame. Anastasia is the Serials and Electronic Resources Cataloging Librarian and she currently manages the Metadata Services/Batch Processing and Data Support units at Notre Dame’s Hesburgh Libraries. Andrea is the Licensing/Acquisitions Librarian at the Hesburgh Libraries where she manages the Electronic Resources and Acquisitions Pay unit. Anastasia and Andrea presented on the “Impact of Library-wide Reorganization on Technical Services.”

The Hesburgh Libraries are five months into a staff reorganization which occurred after the library director left the university in 2010 and a university-wide early retirement package was offered to staff in 2011. All library units now report to one of two Associate University Librarians (AUL). The technical services department, now called the Resource Acquisitions and Discovery Services Program, reports to the Digital Access, Resources, and Information Technology AUL, and consists of five units: Electronic Resources and Acquisitions Pay Services, Acquisitions Services, Metadata Services: Batchprocessing, Metadata Services: Data Support, and Metadata Services: Original and Special Cataloging.

As a part of the reorganization, staff were given a talent survey and encouraged to list skills they possessed, tasks they enjoyed, and library jobs they would like to have, even if it wasn’t what they were currently doing. An effort was then made to cross-train staff for positions of interest and/or talent or to move them into entirely new positions, based on information gathered from the survey.

Anastasia and Andrea identified several key areas of focus during the transition period:

  1. Communication in the form of library-wide forums to discuss changes in workflow and responsibilities
  2. Program managers’ weekly meetings to examine how departments might better help each other through the transition
  3. Cross-collaboration and sharing of expertise
  4. Identifying training needs across the departments
  5. Building new unit teams with the help of Human Resources

Several challenges presented themselves. Anastasia talked about the training needs of staff that had moved into new departments, the physical location of staff that suddenly were not sitting near others in the library who were doing similar tasks, and the need to continue the regular load of work while going through the transition. There were a number of good things to emerge from the reorganization, as well. For the most part, staff was excited about the opportunities to do new tasks and learn new skills; staff worked together and helped each other, regardless of the unit to which they were assigned; and the creation of new working teams allowed the libraries to eliminate tasks that were no longer necessary.

The second portion of the session was a presentation by Roman Panchyshyn , Catalog Librarian, Assistant Professor, at Kent State University Libraries. Roman’s presentation, entitled “Technical Services Librarianship at Kent State University: Retooling, Reskilling, RDA” encouraged technical service librarians to embrace the changes their departments are facing, such as RDA implementation, and use the change as an opportunity to make technical services a relevant part of library conversations. Roman discussed how the shift to electronic resources and the implementation of a new cataloging standard (RDA) provides an opportunity for technical services librarians to utilize their project management skills, as well as undertake other professional duties, such as retraining staff, developing new workflows, and updating procedures.

Roman stressed the need for technical services staff to seize the chance to be a part of conversations that occur throughout the library; to look for openings to increase their visibility within the library by showcasing what technical services add to the community; and to “show your value.” He gave an example of how the technical services department at Kent State University was able to move work back into their department that had been taken on by IT because technical services advertised the skills their staff had and showed how they could complete the tasks faster and with more expertise. This made the technical services department more valuable, brought work back to staff and eased the work load for the IT department.

With regard to the transition to RDA, Kent State University Libraries made the decision that they wanted to be, as Roman said, “at the forefront of this change, at the head of the curve.” They participated in early national testing, they organized training workshops, and they established procedures for their copy catalogers. The benefits are that Kent State has increased its national visibility, they have a well-trained staff, and their librarians now have opportunities for research, publications and presentations that they might not have had otherwise.

Following the two presentations, all three presenters fielded questions from the audience. A business meeting was not held during this conference. Discussion for ALA Annual programing will occur online between the chairs and vice-chairs.

Scholarly Communications Interest Group

Reported by Maureen Walsh

The ALCTS Scholarly Communications Interest Group meeting was held Saturday, January 26, 2013 at 1 p.m., and featured two presentations. A lively Q&A session with the approximately forty-five attendees followed each presentation.

Ann Okerson, senior advisor on electronic strategies, Center for Research Libraries, and Tom Sanville, director of licensing and strategic partnerships, LYRASIS, spoke on the global Sponsoring Consortium for Open Access Publishing in Particle Physics (SCOAP3) project. The project aims to convert peer reviewed high energy physics journals to an open access model. The speakers presented a brief overview of SCOAP3, key dates and deliverable, structures, progress to date, and future prospects.

Justin Gonder, eScholarship operations coordinator, California Digital Library, spoke on the California Digital Library's eScholarship PLUS program. The program enables editors of University of California-affiliated journal and book series to add print-on-demand and e-book services with full retail and global distribution support to their publishing toolkit. Justin described the program's business models, vendor partnerships, and cross-platform technical integration. Justin also shared sample finished products with the audience.

The presentation slides are available via http://connect.ala.org/node/199122. The presentations was followed by a business meeting during which future programming ideas were solicited.

Technical Services Managers in Academic LIbraries Interest Group

Reported by Judy Garrison

Forty-seven people participated in five roundtable discussions led by members of the Technical Services Managers in Academic Libraries Interest Group leaders, held on Saturday, January 26, 2013 at 8:30 a.m. The general theme of the meeting: “What’s New with Technical Services? Sharing Tips and Tricks” was organized around five topics:

  • RDA implementation
  • e-books: the changes and challenges they’ve brought to technical services
  • changing staff roles for changing times
  • acquisitions/serials: changing workflows, changing relationships
  • vendor MARC records: are they good enough for our online catalogs?

Table 1 (Facilitator Judy Garrison) discussed the changes that have occurred in the participants' acquisitions and serials departments due to changing functions, retirements, new positions, reorganizations. Pariticipants also talked about the difficulties in hiring managers (too many duties, too many skills required), the need for staff development as new skills are required, the issues involved in breaking down silos and motivating staff to embrace new practices and workflows. Participants agreed that migration to Webscale will force changes and be an opportunity for re-evaluation.

Table 2 (Facilitator Teressa Kennan): All participants stated they were planning for RDA implementation and are engaged in training, testing and creating documentation. All present use OCLC and the RDA Toolkit, although there is concern that smaller institutions may not have access to the toolkit because they may not belong to a consortium. Participants also discussed RIMMF software (available for free) and the impact of RDA implementation on ILS systems and vendor responses to RDA implementation.

Table 3 (Facilitator Anne Liebst): discussed the quality of vendor MARC records. Participants noted they are less problematic when coming from certain third parties. For some, the availability of MARC records influences the decision to buy a package. Many libraries batch load e-resources and the difference in specs necessitates differences in loading rules. Authority control can also impact batch loaded records. PERL scripts and other reports can be used to find issues with files. MARC Edit is also a key tool. The need for good quality records was highlighted for discovery layers which need good data for facets. The single record approach (print and electronic on same bibliographic record) has been mostly abandoned by many participants. For print records (shelf-ready) some libraries just load and others do spot checking/sampling. Libraries are trying to streamline processes as much as possible.

Table 4 (Facilitator Roberta Winjum) discussed changing staff roles for changing times. Participants described changes in staff roles at their local institutions. Common threads that emerged were the need to justify filling vacancies, difficulty in filling positions, particularly challenging when replacing catalogers since fewer library school students take cataloging courses because there seems to be a pervasive view that there is no future in cataloging, particularly cataloging rare materials. Participants discussed the shift to electronic resources, the integration of technical services staff in the interest of expanding services and the need to know the skills and abilities of staff when asking them to take on new roles when they may be much more comfortable maintaining the status quo.

Table 5 (Facilitator Annie Wu) discussed subscription models for e-books; challenges encountered in e-book subscriptions; methods used to bring e-book records into the library’s bibliographic system; advantages and issues for variant e-book cataloging processes; whether e-books processing has brought any changes in technical services workflows and if so, what changes and how they were handled; and libraries’ future plans for e-book subscriptions.

Technical Services Workflow Efficiency Interest Group

Reported by Nancy Stenerson Gonzales

On Monday, January 28, 2013, the Technical Services Workflow Efficiency Interest Group treated more than forty attendees to a panel discussion and Q & A session on the impact of e-readers and e-books in our libraries.

Annie Glerum from Florida State University presented "Staying on course in a sea of constant change: Adapting cataloging workflows for the digital age." The summary of her advice is to be prepared; be flexible; communicate early and often, and document procedures that work.

Leslie Engelson from Murray State (Kentucky) University discussed the evolution of electronic book cataloging from the sometimes questionable batched records from NetLibrary and eBrary (and their proprietary platforms) to the creation of bibliographic records for e-book readers. MSU has Sony, Nook, Kindle, and iPad readers.

Manuel Urrizola from the University of California, Riverside talked about the decisions they made when they acquried a number of Nook e-readers. They decided to catalog the devices, and to add author/title access via 7xx fields for the material loaded by the library.

Amy Hart from the Minuteman Library Network, a consortium of thirty-five public and seven small academic libraries in Massachusetts, discussed some of the challenges faced by such an organization when cataloging is centralized, but all other services are local, and when the needs and expectations of the libraries vary widely. Their decision was to catalog the devices with content title access available through enhanced 5xx fields transferred from a spreadsheet for each record. This has been working, though a new proposal would inventory the device, including an item record, and add individual bibliographic records for each title with item links to the device.

Meryl Cinnamon from OCLC gave a presentation promoting OCLC's WorldShare Metadata C`1ollection Manager. This service helps libraries acquire and manage bibliographic information for e-books, including loading batches of records for e-book collections, updating URLs, notifying libraries of deletions, and more. She announced that OCLC had recently welcomed several new vendors to their list of e-book cataloging partners.

The Q&A session included questions about OCLC services (yes, the WorldShare program is for e-book packages, though OCLC members can catalog e-books title-by-title if they wish; the service can support records that combine electronic and print) and the maintenance of e-readers (most circulate in a protective case and most are "wiped" of additionally loaded material upon return. There have been a number of lost and damaged e-readers, especially iPads, and overdue e-readers are common. So far no library represented by presenters or attendees has included e-readers in a booking program). A question about OverDrive (a digital library platform) led to discussion of whether or not e-books easily found through platforms or vendor sites linked from a library page needed to have catalog records at all.