CMS Reports on Committee and Interest Group Activity

Collection Management Section (CMS) Reports on Committee and Interest Group Activity

Education Committee

Reported by Robin Champieux

The Education Committee met on Sunday, January 27, 2013 at 8:30 a.m. Chair Robin Champieux contacted the ALCTS Education Committee for an update on the status of our Midwinter proposals. The division committee has had difficulty identifying potential speakers for our topics and asked that we offer suggestions. We devoted our Midwinter meeting to this task.

Suggestions and Ideas

Interest Group 101: The Collection Management Section Interest Group (IG) Frequently Asked Questions is a good model for content. Current IG chairs and co-chairs could be queried for potential webinar presenters.

Data Curation and Supplementary Materials: The newly released National Information Standards Organization (NISO) guidelines on supplementary materials offers good source material and structure for a webinar or program content. The working group can be tapped for presenters. Robert McDonald, Associate Dean for Library Technologies, Indiana University would be a good data curation presenter.

Interlibrary Loan (ILL) and Patron Driven Acquisitions (PDA): Purdue University Libraries has a long-standing program and they’ve done a lot of analysis on cost effectiveness. A Purdue librarian involved in this work could be approached to build and present a webinar or a program.

Demand Driven Acquisitions (DDA) and Approval Plans for e-books. Michael Levine Clark and Sue Polanka are potential speakers.

The committee will also propose a new program on collection analysis software.

Executive Committee

Reported by Cory Tucker

The Executive Committee convened at 8 a.m. on Sunday, January 27, 2013. At 8:30 a.m., members visited the CMS committees. From 9 to 9:30 a.m., the Executive Committee met with Carolynne Myall (ALCTS President) and Genevieve Owens (ALCTS President-Elect). From 10:30 to 11:30 a.m., the Executive Committee met with the CMS leaders.

The Executive Committee continued work on a variety of projects from the summer and fall quarters. The committee has identified several action items for the winter and spring quarters (see below). One of the main projects is a survey for CMS members. The main goal of the survey is to assess what value CMS members are getting from the section and to address any issues left over from the section reorganization. A draft of potential survey questions was distributed before the meeting and a majority of the time was spent reviewing questions and offering edits. The committee discussed the overall plan for distributing the survey. Another major topic of discussions is related to the CMS reorganization. The committee still has some concerns regarding the survival of the CMS Interest Groups (IGs) and the committee has asked the Transition Advisory Committee and the CMS Planning Committee to formalize the IG renewal process and to come up with a good succession process.

During the committee's meeting with the CMS leaders, the major topic focused on the new ALCTS Task Force (TF) that is in the process of identifying standards that are relevant for the ALCTS sections. The group briefly reviewed a list of standards identified by the TF as relevant to CMS. The group discussed the possibility of forming a new standards committee or folding into existing committee. There was also discussion about standards and their technical nature. The discussion also focused on partnering with other ALA divisions, such as the Reference and User Services Association’s Collection Development and Evaluation Section (RUSA CODES). Other discussion items included looking at collaboration with vendors to sponsor CMS activities, official process for updating the CMS website and continued analysis of the distribution of the CMS Interest Group Frequently Asked Questions document finalized at the 2012 Annual Conference.

Announcements at the meetings included:

  • Updates from the ALCTS Board Meeting
  • The Midwinter 2013 CMS Forum which was cosponsored by the ACRL Science and Technology Section, held on January 27, 2013. The forum, entitled “Scholarly Communication and Collections: From Crisis to Creative Response,” focused on educating librarians on the issues of scholarly communication so they can collaborate with faculty and developing a formalized strategy to incorporate open access into collection development policies and activities.
  • Candidate slate for the 2013 section elections.

Action items for winter and spring quarters that arose from Midwinter are:

  • Follow-up on discussions regarding the CMS member survey. The committee is targeting a March release date for the survey and will use Survey Monkey, courtesy of ALCTS. The committee will continue to edit survey questions and will arrange a conference call to finalize the survey in the spring.
  • Follow-up on addressing standards in CMS and looking at incorporating standards review in an existing committee or creating a new committee.
  • Finalize interest group renewal process with CMS Planning
  • Plan for another virtual executive committee meeting and other potential virtual meetings

Nominating Committee

Reported by Ginger Williams

The CMS Nominating Committee met virtually prior to the Midwinter Meeting to identify potential nominees. The committee was delighted that four active leaders in the section accepted nominations. The slate for the 2013 election is:

Vice-Chair/Chair Elect

  • Michael Levine-Clark (University of Denver)
  • Mildred L. Jackson (University of Alabama)

Member-At-Large

  • Bleue Benton (Oak Park Public Library, Illinois)
  • Robin Champieux (Oregon Health & Science University)

Planning Committee

Reported by Christine Dulaney

The CMS Planning Committee met on Sunday, Janaury 27, 2013 at 8:30 a.m. The goal for the midwinter meeting was to provide a proposal for reviewing and renewing the seven CMS interest groups (IGs). The purpose of the review process is to gauge interest in maintaining the IG, to ensure viability of the group, and to provide a contact person for IG chairs as they plan IG activities and programs.

The committee discussed various options for reviewing CMS IGs. Since each IG is to be reviewed every five years, the members decided that a staggered schedule would work best primarily for distributing the work load as well as retaining knowledge of the process given that the roster of committee members changes each year. Each committee member volunteered to serve as liaison to an IG. A tentative schedule for renewal of each of the seven IGs was proposed. A year was defined as beginning with Midwinter.

The committee chair had developed a draft process document for reviewing the IGs. The members reviewed this document, and discussed the process as well as the tasks of the liaisons. Committee members wanted to create a process which would not be onerous to the IG chairs but which would elicit information about the activities of the IGs. A revised draft document was submitted to the CMS Executive Committee.

The members developed several action items for discussion during ALA Annual in Chicago. These items included creating a template for preparing IG reports, ensuring coordination between the review process and the IG FAQ document, and a process for posting programs on the website.

Publications Committee

Reported by Michael Levine-Clark

The CMS Publications Committee did not meet during the ALA Midwinter Meeting. Instead, we held a virtual meeting via ALA Connect on February 12, 2013.

In November, we sent out a call for proposals for the fourth annual Emerging Research in Collection Development and Management Forum, with a due date of January 15, 2013. We conducted a blind review of the proposals and notified the accepted speakers on February 15, 2013. The forum will be held on Sunday, June 30, 2013 at 4 p.m. The two accepted proposals are:

  • Jane Burke and Jim Ulsh, “Curating Institutional Video Collections.”
  • Stephanie Wical, Hans Kishel, R. Todd Vandenbark, and Bryan Vogh, “Building a Stronger Collection: The Art of Combining Citation Studies and Usage Statistics.”

At the February 12 virtual meeting, we discussed the following:

  1. Sudden Selectors Guides update. We assigned three manuscripts to committee members for preliminary review and determined that a fourth revised manuscript should be sent to the CMS Executive Committee and the ALCTS Publications Committee for review.
  1. Collection = Connection Blog. Steven Harris, the current blog master, will step down soon. The committee discussed a succession plan and determined that it would be best to find someone outside the committee for the post. We will discuss with the CMS Executive committee how best to advertise for this position. We also discussed marketing strategies—how to bring readers in. We will post links to new entries to a variety of sources, including using ALA Connect as a seed bed for social media. We will also actively recruit more bloggers, and will develop a schedule to ensure that the site doesn’t become stale. Anyone interested in writing regularly or semiregularly should email Michael Levine-Clark (michael.levine-clark@du.edu).
  1. Emerging Research in Collection Development and Management Forum. We discussed ways of better publicizing this event and the calls for proposals. We will remove the word emerging from the title, as it may give the false impression that we are only looking for research that is in an embryonic stage. We will also publicize through social media and the Collection = Connection blog. We will also make it clearer in the proposal form that we conduct a rigorous blind-reviewed process in determining which proposals are accepted.

Transition Advisory Committee

Reported by Joshua Barton

The committee met on Sunday, January 27, 2013 at 8:30 a.m. Reviewed committee actions since Annual 2012. Discussed actions to take when an interest group loses leadership before end of term, arriving at the need for vice chairs to be in place to take over. Will check in with our three interest groups on state of vice chairs. Reviewed draft document produced by our committee and Planning Committee outlining recommended steps and procedures for interest group assessment. Made additional comments on the document to incorporate into new draft. Identified issues with the availability and discoverability of important information for interest group chairs; discussed possible actions and resolved to make recommendations to Executive Committee.

Interest Groups

Administration of Collection Development Interest Group

Reported by Peggy Murphy

The meeting, held on Saturday, January 26, 2013 at 4:30 p.m., consisted mostly of academic collection managers, with two public library collection managers in attendance. Topics discussed were varied and included general collection management problems; how to administrate a collection when the collection, acquisition, and catalog departments are managed by different agencies and do not have good communication; and how to administrate an e-journal and e-book collection. Vendors were also discussed.

It is my opinion that this group should be chaired by an academic librarian in the future.

Collection Development Issues for the Practitioner Interest Group

Reported by Josephine Crawford

The interest group met on Saturday, January 26, 2013 at 1 p.m. Interest Group Chair Josephine Crawford led an engaged discussion on forces of change requiring new approaches by collection development practitioners. Topics covered included:

  1. Impact of self-publishing on collection development and acquisitions
  2. Recognizing and managing business terminology before signing a contract
  3. How do we know our selections are working? What data do you need and when?
  4. Downsizing your print collection: what are your considerations?

Crawford announced that she has lined up two speakers from the University of Notre Dame for the Annual Conference meeting in Chicago. Laura Sill (Head, Acquisitions Services) and Julie Arnott (Head of Preservation) will speak about implementing a paperless workflow for freely available digital surrogates for brittle books. The program will take place during our usual time slot on Saturday, from 1-2:30 p.m.

Collection Management in Public Libraries Interest Group

Reported by Peggy Murphy

The interest group meeting, held Monday, January 28, 2013 at 1 p.m., featured round table discussion by public library collection managers. Topics discussed were: collectionHQ, e-media vendors, floating collections, upcoming streaming content, e-media lending problems and a report from a digital newspaper vendor. Detailed minutes will be sent to those in attendance and others on the urban library council’s electronic mailing list.

Chief Collection Development Officers Interest Group

Reported by Carmelita Pickett

The interest group met Saturday, January 26, 2013 at 9 a.m.

Discussion topics:

ARL Survey: State of the Large Publisher Bundles

Presenters: Karla Strieb, Associate Director Collections, Technical Services, and Scholarly Communication, Ohio State University Libraries and Julia C. Blixrud, Associate Executive Director, Association of Research Libraries

Assessing the Value of Academic Library Consortia

Presenter: Faye Chadwell, University Librarian and OSU Press Director, Oregon State University

Land Grant Consortia

Presenter: Carmelita Pickett, Head of Collection Development Operations, Texas A&M University

ARL Issue Brief: 21st Century Collections: Calibration of Investment and Collaborative Action

Discussion Leaders: Daniel Dollar, Director of Collection Development, Yale University Library and Thomas Teper, Associate University Librarian for Collections and Technical Services, University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign Library

SCOAP3 Update

Presenter: Ann Okerson, SCOAP3 U.S. National Contact Person

Collection Evaluation and Assessment Interest Group

Reported by Amelia Brunskill

This session, “Findings That Surprised Us: Delving into the Data and Dealing with the Unexpected,” was held Sunday, January 27, 2013 at 1 p.m.

Two speakers presented case studies about data collection that yielded some unexpected results, and discussed how they plan to use this data to shape their future work with their collections.

The first speaker was Beth Bernhardt, the Electronic Resources Librarian at UNC Greensboro. Her talk was titled “Looking and Reacting to Consortium Statistics.”

She discussed how the Carolina Consortium has setup over eight big deals with publishers over the past several years and how, during the fall of 2012, they pulled together three years of usage statistics from all the schools that participated in each deal. She provided information on the steps they took to bring all this information together, what surprises the statistics showed, and actions they are taking as a consortium moving forward in the future, and plans for educating schools about their usage.

The second speaker was Karen Jensen, the Collection Development Officer at University of Alaska Fairbanks. Her talk was titled “Print monograph circulation and patron-driven e-books: Impact of the data on present and future collection management strategies.”

She described how, after more than ten years of declining print book circulation, the University of Alaska Fairbanks Libraries began using a patron-driven e-book system in 2009. While the statistics weren’t totally conclusive, they found that the implications for overall collection management were far-reaching and called into question many of the long-held assumptions about building academic library collections.

Collection Management and Electronic Resources Interest Group

Reported by Hilary Wagner

Hilary Wagner, member of the CMS Transition Advisory Committee (TAC) filled in as facilitator for the interest group in the absence of a chair. The meeting, held Sunday, January 27, 2013 at 3 p.m., featured an open discussion on topics related to electronic resource management systems (ERMS), including best practices, implementation, open source options, workflow, and needs from vendors. Volunteers were identified for chair and vice-chair. Discussion also included identifying topic suggestions for the 2013 Annual Conference.