CaMMS Reports on Committee and Interest Group Activity

Cataloging and Metadata Management Section Reports on Committee and Interest Group Activity

CaMMS Committee on Cataloging: Description & Access

Reported by Peter Rolla

The Committee on Cataloging: Description & Access (CC:DA) had a very busy summer and fall of 2012. CC:DA approved four revision proposals for RDA and modified one of the proposals that had been approved at Annual Conference 2012. The committee also approved a new ALA-LC Romanization table for Belarusian and commented on dozens of proposals from other constituencies to the Joint Steering committee for the Development of RDA (JSC). Some of the comments may lead to further revision proposals. The four proposals approved by CC:DA were: a proposal from Adam Schiff changing the instructions for assigning the creators of hearings; a proposal from the Music Library Association on variant access points for musical works whose librettos are written by the composers; a proposal that combined two proposals—one from the American Association of Law Libraries (AALL) and one from the Council on East Asian Libraries (CEAL)—on the preferred names of places; a proposal based on the work of CC:DA’s Sources of Information Task Force.

In Seattle, CC:DA met on Saturday, January 26, 2013 at 1 p.m. And discussed the work of its three outstanding task forces. The work of one task force, which is investigating changes affecting RDA in the Chicago Manual of Style, 16th edition, is essentially finished, but due to winter weather and travel issues, the committee was not able to vote on this report at the Midwinter meeting. The group will do so soon and submit it to the JSC as a proposal or discussion paper. The task force proposing new relationship designators for Appendix K has completed about half of its work. CC:DA generally approved of it, so the task force should submit a completed proposal for Annual 2013. Lastly, the task force on recording relationships also appears to be on track and will hopefully have a proposal by Annual Conference as well.

At Midwinter, the committee also discussed some of the issues raised by the proposals it had submitted last fall, in order to prioritize CC:DA’s next actions. The group determined that two large issues were the most important to tackle first and agreed to form two new task forces to study them. First, discussions of the AALL/CEAL proposals revealed many more issues relating to place names, so there will be a new task force to look at place names in detail and perhaps suggest sweeping changes to the instructions in RDA. Second, the committee decided to reconstitute an existing task force, which had been looking at presenting quantitative data in a more machine-actionable form. That task force wrote a discussion paper, which CC:DA approved at Annual 2012 and which was sent to the JSC for their fall meeting. The JSC encouraged ALA to continue working on these issues, so the task force’s work will continue but with new membership as the committee wants to include members with expertise in special materials (music, audio-visual, rare books, maps).

CC:DA’s new website, based on WordPress software, went live for ALA Midwinter 2013, and all documents relating to the meeting were posted only to the new website and not to the previous site. CC:DA’s webmaster solicited input about the architecture and style of the site, and the group also discussed how to best archive the older materials relating to the committee. The new website can be seen at alcts.ala.org/ccdablog, and any feedback is welcome.

CaMMS Cataloging of Children’s Materials Committee

Reported by Linda S. Geisler

The Cataloging of Children’s Materials Committee (CCM) met on Sunday, January 27, 2013 and discussed the following items on its agenda which impact the work of the committee: the review of CCM, vendor representation on CCM, RDA implementation by public and school libraries, the CCM program for Annual Conference 2013 and preparation for future programs.

With regard to the review of CCM by the CaMMS Policy and Planning Committee, Catherine Gardner and Michele Seikel attended the start of the meeting to explain the review process. CCM will be reviewed this year, with a questionnaire due on March 1, 2013. The committee is reviewed every five years. The questionnaire needs to be completed and submitted to the ALCTS CaMMS Executive Board. The review is designed to generate discussion to see if the CCM is fulfilling its charge and to decide whether the charge needs to be changed. Some committees change their charge based on the review. CCM had a short discussion about our charge which was continued by e-mail, and it is preparing a response to the survey questions.

The committee has new representatives from the Sears List of Subject Headings and OCLC, and it has received important updates on their products which have an impact our members. Libby Crawford is the new representative from OCLC/Dewey. Joan Mitchell retired January 17, 2013, and Michael Panzer took over as Editor-in-Chief. Libby reported that the fifteenth edition of the Abridged Dewey Decimal Classification and Relative Index is now in WebDewey and accessible. Islamic law and religion have had revisions. There is now a number-building tool in WebDewey. It allows contribution of numbers to the Dewey editors. They would like contributions from schools and public libraries to understand the subjects being used by them. Libbie looks forward to participating on the committee.

The committee had lost its representative from Sears List of Subject Headings and was happy to welcome the new liaison, Eve Miller, Sears Editor for EBSCO Publishing. EBSCO purchased H.W. Wilson in June 2011. She reported that Sears is now integrated into their internal systems, such as Core Collections, and they are updating the vocabulary in their database. The next edition of Sears is expected in spring 2014. They are working with OCLC to get Dewey browsing integrated, and they have a goal to further internationalize Sears in order to represent more languages, religions, cultures, etc. They welcome volunteers who would like to serve on their advisory committee and would like to have a large urban library represented.

With regard to the CCM Program for Annual Conference 2013, Patricia Ratkovich and Linda Geisler met with the ALCTS Program Committee on January 26th. The ALCTS Program Committee asked CCM to identify co-sponsors for the Annual Conference program that would assist us with publicity and attracting a wider audience, but otherwise all is in place. The co-sponsorship can be in name only since work on the program is essentially complete. (After the meeting, Allison Kaplan, our liaison to the American Association of School Librarians (AASL), reported that AASL agreed to be a co-sponsor for our program. Ric Hasenyager (New York, Dept. of Education) updated the group on the presentation for the forthcoming CCM program. He is one of the presenters, along with Dr. Barbara Schultz-Jones (Professor, University of North Texas). The program is titled “Twilight of AACR2 and Breaking Dawn of RDA,” and it is scheduled on Sunday, June 30, from 1 to 2:30 pm at Annual Conference in Chicago. The focus of the program is on the practical application of RDA for cataloging juvenile materials, along with a hands-on component. Ric reported that the presentation is complete. Since we have lead time, Linda Geisler suggested that we translate the presentation into Spanish. She has resources available to assist with a translation. Ric indicated that he expected program attendance to be high and that CCM should pursue booking a large room. Linda will inquire regarding a large room.

Thomas Adamich developed a draft white paper, with input from Allison Kaplan and Linda Geisler, entitled “Guidance for RDA Implementation by Public and School Libraries.” It covers the challenges and details that need to be addressed in implementing RDA by those who catalog children’s materials. They need editorial comments on the paper, so it can serve as a primer for those who catalog children’s materials. After discussion at CCM, it was decided that instead of a paper, there is a greater need for a brochure or short document that could be placed on the AASL and Association for Library Service to Children web sites that provides practical guidance on the implementation of RDA. It would address such issues as RDA impact on MARC records and any impact on the use of Dewey. Tom, Allison, and Linda agreed to continue to work on this item.

Members of the committee brainstormed on future topics for a program. The following list was developed: an RDA Refresher; a program on subject heading strings--Sears vs. LCSH; a workshop on Subject Analysis (practical applications, not concepts); a program on authorities for subject headings; a program on genre headings used as subject headings.

At Annual Conference, we will select a topic and begin planning for the next program.

CaMMS Committee on Cataloging: Asian and African Materials (CC:AAM)

Reported by Hikaru Nakano

The CaMMS Committee on Cataloging: Asian and African Materials (CC:AAM) met as scheduled, on Saturday, January 26, 2013. Draft minutes of the June 24, 2012, CC:AAM meeting were approved with some modifications.

CC:AAM heard a proposal on the Coptic Romanization Table and the Tamashek Romanization Table, prepared by Charles Riley. The constituent review for these tables is planned to begin by the time of the next meeting. CC:AAM also discussed the spacing issues in ALA-LC Romanization Tables in response to the question posted in OCLC-CJK electronic mailing list. The committee agreed to contact Technical Processing Committee of the Council on East Asian Libraries to report our suggestions.

CC:AAM heard a report on recent activities of the Committee on Cataloging: Description & Access.

A written report had been distributed in advance regarding recent activities of each of the following related organizations: LC; OCLC; the African Librarians Council Cataloging Committee; the Council on East Asian Libraries (CEAL); the Middle East Librarians Association (MELA); and the Committee on Research Materials on Southeast Asia (CORMOSEA). There was no written or oral report of the Committee on South Asian Libraries and Documentation.

Comprehensive minutes of the January 26, 2013, CC:AAM meeting are being drafted by a CC:AAM intern for circulation and finalization at a later time.

CaMMS Continuing Education Committee

Reported by Anna DeVore

The Midwinter meeting was held virtually via telephone conference call on February 8, 2013. The committee approved minutes from our 2012 Annual in-person meeting, after revising them via document exchange and e-mail, to save meeting time.

At Annual Conference in 2012, the committee was charged with organizing the next Biennial Library Educators Meeting for ALA Midwinter 2014. Three committee members, Lori Thorrat, Glen Wiley, and Steven Folsom, have volunteered to work on this project with additional collaborators from CaMMS (possibly the Continuing Education Training Materials Committee) and the Association for Library and Information Science Education.

Committee members actively seek presenters for topics in cataloging and metadata that are not RDA-specific. Members work hard to help presenters develop proposals for continuing education offerings and to expedite the development process by getting feedback and approval from the committee before the proposal is submitted to ALCTS Continuing Education. Ellen Caplan reported on the webinar “Transitioning from Cataloging to Creating Metadata,” to be presented on February 27, 2013, by Teressa Keenan and Vicki Sipes, with assistance from Ellen and our virtual member, Joan Leysen. Stacie Traill has volunteered to assist presenter Elaine Franco later this year with a follow-up webinar on Advanced Library of Congress Classification Class P, taking into account changes in preferred access points in RDA. Glen Wiley is working on developing webinars introducing metadata and the semantic web; Lori Thorrat will be sharing additional names of potential presenters on these subjects with him.

Joan Leysen has created a draft checklist for webinar development; after the draft is reviewed by Ellen Caplan, it will be shared with the committee. This document is the first in a projected series of documents that delineate guidelines and best practices for the committee’s role in the development and review of ALCTS continuing education offerings.

The committee also identifies new continuing education needs. Ellen Caplan has been refining a list of possible webinar topics based on meetings and programs held at ALA. The committee has a current ‘brainstorming’ list in ALA Connect, and members will revisit the list to update and prune it. Members discussed other potential topics for webinars based on presentations at ALA Midwinter and other meetings.

The committee continues to develop an annotated list of continuing education no-fee online resources. Stacy Traill agreed to prioritize updating and improving the list and return it to the committee for review before Annual Conference.

The committee has made progress towards ALCTS Strategic Plan goals. The committee’s work directly assists ALCTS members unable to attend conference by supporting the ALCTS webinars and providing continuing education. The work of the committee itself is usually done virtually, via e-mail and document exchange, to allow participation by all and to work more efficiently. The committee assists ALCTS in offering virtual cataloging and classification content (other than RDA training) as charged. The committee also supports ALCTS revenue by developing webinars and identifying continuing education needs.

As some members cycle off the committee at Annual Conference, the group recommends that the Board bring members onto the committee with strong credentials in RDA training and program planning.

CaMMS Executive Committee

Reported by Erin Stalberg

At the Executive Committee meeting, held Friday, January 25, 2013 at 7:30 p.m., online votes were confirmed; committee membership transitions were discussed for committees with members stepping down mid-term. The committee discussed responsibility for the Biennial Library Educators Meeting for ALA Midwinter 2014 and addressed issues that resulted from the CaMMS Section review which was completed before Midwinter and approved by the ALCTS Organization and Bylaws Committee. The group voted to establish an Intern position to manage the CaMMS content on the ALCTS website and ALA Connect (stay tuned for a call for interest for CaMMS Executive Committee Intern/Webmaster!) and decided to co-sponsor the RDA Update Forum at Annual Conference in Chicago with the RDA Conference and Forums Task Force. The committee also discussed a variety of ALCTS Board topics, including the ALA membership dues increase proposal and issues surrounding open access for ALCTS publications. It has launched the effort to identify names to bring to the ALCTS Board to replace John Attig as the ALA representative to the Joint Steering Committee for the Development of RDA.

CaMMS Research & Publications Committee

Reported by Kavita Mundle

The committee met on Saturday, January 26, 2013 at 4:30 p.m. The committee reviewed the new charge for its new members since it was recently rewritten and clearly documents all of the responsibilities of the Research and Publications Committee (RPC). The charge on the website is old and not the current, approved version. Kavita will contact ALCTS about updating the site with the correct charge. Members went over the impetus for, and scope of, the committee’s work, as there were several new committee members present. The group also discussed a possible program that would provide an introduction to doing research and publishing in cataloging and metadata.

The committee reviewed a new essay on SKOS that was submitted just before Midwinter Meeting. Suggestions on improving the scope of the essay were made and discussed. The committee has always solicited essays that summarize literature on current topics and suggest future research topics. This focus limits its solicitation of submissions. Members decided to pursue the idea of soliciting submissions by broadening the scope of interest and decided to investigate whether the charge to the committee needs to be further reviewed and approved.

Kavita encouraged members to review previous essays to see what topics may be updated (such as electronic resources). The members felt a real need for better marketing strategies to solicit new topic ideas and authors. Some of the strategies discussed were: establishing contact with library schools and encouraging students to turn the literature review portion of their thesis into a full bibliographic essay; offering incentives like a free year of ALCTS membership; creating blurbs for ANO; putting out a general call for submissions on electronic mailing lists such as Autocat; and advertising the essays on electronic mailing lists, Facebook and ALA Connect. Marielle will put together a list of contacts from library schools and will create a blurb that she will first send to the Research and Publication Committee.

CaMMS Subject Analysis Committee

Reported by Judy Jeng

The Subject Analysis Committee (SAC) met twice at Midwinter. At Sunday's meeting, after adopting both the agenda and 2012 Annual’s minutes, the committee heard reports from a variety of liaisons. Eve Miller reported on the Sears List of Subject Headings. Janis Young presented a detailed report on activities at the Library of Congress, including general updates; details on general, descriptive, and subject cataloging (including a variety of RDA updates); genre/form headings and the new music medium-of-performance thesaurus. Julianne Beall, Michael Panzer, Caroline Saccucci, and Deborah Rose Lefmann spoke on Dewey Decimal classification topics. Hermine Vermeij reported on the activities of the Music Library Association. Suzanne Graham reported on those of the American Association of Law Libraries. Sherman Clarke spoke on behalf of the Art Libraries Society. The SAC Research and Presentation Working Group was represented with a report from Deborah Ryszka. Finally, Robert Maxwell updated the committee on the activities of the RDA Subcommittee.

Monday’s session opened with a large crowd of guests awaiting Kevin Ford’s presentation, “When URIs become the Authority: Benefits and Challenges of Library Linked Data.” Ford’s excellent talk focused on the Library of Congress’ Bibliographic Framework Transition Initiative and what it might look like in the real world. Acknowledging that our information ecosystem is rife with complicated constructions and inconsistent representations, the ideal paradigm of directly connecting URIs is not always realistic. Ford discussed a very practical application of what he termed an “abstraction layer” wherein data could be communicated via a central URI when an already established URI may not exist. Following the talk, a lively Q&A session took place, during which many of the ideas Ford presented were discussed, expanded, and analyzed.

After a short break, the committee returned to hear reports on a number of topics. Stephen Hearn provided an update from the Machine Readable Bibliographic Information Committee (MARBI). Adam Schiff then spoke on behalf of the SAC Genre/Form Subcommittee. Ed O’Neill reported on the ongoing progress of the Faceted Application of Subject Terminology (FAST) Project, and John DeSantis presented a report from the International Federation of Library Associations and Institutions (IFLA). Melanie Wacker discussed the happenings at the Subject Authority Cooperative Program (SACO) at-large meeting. Finally, Judy Jeng presented the chair’s report.

Interest Groups

CaMMS-ALCTS/LITA Authority Control Interest Group

Reported by Christina Hennessey

The Authority Control Interest Group met on Sunday, January 27, 2013 at 1 p.m. The theme of the meeting at ALA Midwinter in Seattle was “Best Practices for RDA Authorities.” There were presentations by four speakers, with the presentations lasting one hour and forty-five minutes. All presentations from the meeting will be available on ALA Connect in the Authority Control Interest Group Community. The speakers were:

  • Janis Young (Library of Congress, Policy and Standards Division) who gave a general update on authorities projects, staffing changes, training plans, and statistics from the Library of Congress, particularly in relation to changes for RDA.
  • Chamya Kincy (UCLA), Co-Chair, Program for Cooperative Cataloging (PCC), Standing Committee on Training,who gave an update on the latest RDA Authorities training efforts within the PCC. She also discussed RDA Name Authority Cooperative (NACO) training and review as implemented at UCLA starting in October 2012.
  • Kevin Randall (Northwestern) discussed his experiences as a Cooperative Serials Program (CONSER) cataloger and the RDA NACO training and review process at Northwestern.
  • Mark Scharff (Washington University, St. Louis), NACO Music Project Funnel Coordinator, discussed RDA best practices from the standpoint of a NACO Funnel Project. He gave an honest look at their plans and hopes for RDA training, the real outcome of the training, and problems that they ran into during the training.

There was a lively Q&A session after the presentations lasting thirty-five minutes. Questions for the panel and discussions concerned such topics as RDA/AACR2 hybrid records, RDA NACO training, plans for updating authority records nationally and locally, and more discussion of best practices.

There was a business meeting after the presentations for committee members and anyone else who wished to attend. The committee discussed a few different presentation ideas for the meeting at Annual Conference in Chicago and determined possible speakers around these topics.

CaMMS Catalog Management Interest Group

Reported by Jane Anne Carey

The group met on Saturday, January 26, 2013 at 1 p.m. and had 160 attendees. Presentations by four speakers were featured. The presenters and topic were:

  • “Expending to E-Content Cataloging Management: Impact and Insight,” presented by Sherab Chen, Associate Professor, Cataloging Coordinator, Ohio State University Libraries.
  • “Managing a Consortial DDA e-Book Project,” presented by Jessica Hayden, Manager of Resource Processing & Description, University Libraries, University of Northern Colorado.
  • “Using Google Refine to Clean Up Data in the Catalog,” presented by Sarah Beth Weeks, Head of Technical Services, St. Olaf College Rolvaag Memorial Library.
  • “Addressing RDA Display Issues in the Local Catalog,” presented by Roman S. Panchyshyn, Catalog Librarian and Assistant Professor, University Libraries, Kent State University.

CaMMS Cataloging and Classification Research Interest Group

Reported by Masha Stepanova

The ALCTS CaMMS Cataloging and Classification Research Interest Group met at the ALA Midwinter Meeting in Seattle on Sunday, January 27, 2013. The meeting’s topic was “Discovering New Paths to Old Data.” Two presenters addressed the issues of accessing existing data in the context of new cataloging environment.

Magda El-Sherbini, Ohio State University Libraries, presented “Bibliotheca Alexandrina Subject Authority File and Linked Data.” This presentation was part two in a series highlighting the research project on authority control at Bibliotheca Alexandrina (BA) in Egypt, where the presenter spent nine months on a Fulbright grant. She reported on the uniqueness of the library’s authority file, with a focus on subject headings, and showcased BA’s locally created authority file which differs in structure from LC/OCLC authority file and includes headings in three languages. The workflow for creating the subject headings and the process for linking data were discussed in the presentation.

Terry Reese, Gray Family Chair for Innovative Library Services, Oregon State University, presented “Dragging Old Data Forward: Finding Yourself an RDA Helper.” This presentation discussed the nature of the new MarcEdit tool, the RDA Helper. Based on research into the effectiveness of tools that move between AACR2 and RDA for batch processing of records, his report addressed the issues different types of libraries experience with RDA implementation and changes to bibliographic records—such as the new alternatives to the General Material Designation (GMD).

Following the presentations, there were a large number of questions from the audience, which generated a lively discussion.

CaMMS Cataloging Norms Interest Group

Reported by Karen Sigler

The group met on Saturday, January 26, 2013 at 10:30 a.m. Traditionally, the Cataloging Norms Interest Group presents a gathering of speakers for any interested conference goer who cares to attend. Sixty-three individuals were present for a successful program of two speakers (program described below). Planners had noted that current concerns for catalogers included managing workflows, learning more about RDA and understanding metadata. With this in mind, a speaker, who addressed the relationship between metadata and cataloging, and a speaker with a historical perspective on cataloging, were selected.

Maura Valentino, Assistant Professor and Metadata Librarian at Oregon State University, presented “Beyond Description: Metadata for Catalogers in the 21st Century”. She discussed the many tasks beyond that of describing resources that can be accomplished with metadata. Training catalogers in metadata management has often only involved explaining various metadata schemes and how they relate to MARC records. This presentation explained how metadata differs from cataloging beyond being a more context-specific form of object description. Metadata can be used in ways that traditional cataloging data was never meant to be used. For example, metadata can be used to preservation information, whereas cataloging and preservation were traditionally separate areas of interests. Also, metadata can be used to bind separate digital objects to create a single logical object. This sort of activity was not necessary in traditional cataloging. Each of his points was discussed in theory as well as practice. By explaining some of the theory behind the uses of metadata, it is hoped that catalogers would understand the changes in workflows that they have been experiencing and learn how their skills are adding value to a 21st Century library.

Harold Thiele, Assistant Professor, Valdosta State University, Valdosata, Georgia, presented “Evolution of Cataloging Norms from Ancient Mesopotamia to RDA.” He traced changes in cataloging practices from ancient Mesopotamia to the present and RDA. The focus was on the development and changes in the main entry concept. The application of the FRBR suite of standards and the RDA cataloging code have the potential to effect major changes in the main entry concept. His presentation put these changes into historical context.

The group’s goals in relation to the ALCTS Strategic Plan involve following trends and issues in the profession and the exchange of information. The plan is to concentrate on innovative topic ideas and areas of concern when selecting speakers. The question and answer section of the program encourages the exchange of ideas and fosters dialog. Presentations are later made available via ALA Connect.

CaMMS Competencies & Education for a Career in Cataloging Interest Group

Reported by Angela Kinney

The ALCTS CaMMS Competencies and Education for a Career in Cataloging Interest Group met in the Grand Hyatt Eliza Anderson Amphitheater on January 25, 2013, from 1 to 2:30 p.m. Approximately 55 persons were in attendance for the meeting. There were three presenters. Mr. Blane Dessy, Executive Director of the Federal Library and Information Network (FEDLINK) at Library of Congress, gave a presentation on “A Competency-based Career Path: How to Create One and How to Implement It.” Mr. Dessy’s presentation focused on ways to use professional competencies as a guide to develop a career path in cataloging. He discussed resume and interview preparation and the competencies needed for today’s job market. He emphasized the importance of developing leadership skills in order to progress in one’s career and discussed competencies hiring officials look for when interviewing. These include excellent organization skills and the ability to be a team builder, managing budgets and personnel, and overcoming challenges in the workplace. Also important is career networking, self-assessment to identify where one wishes to work geographically, and pushing oneself to embrace changes in an environment that is transitioning to cataloging in RDA and the new Bibliographic Framework. Mr. Dessy reviewed what employers look for when interviewing, including poise and good eye contact, and he went over the differences between a resume and a curriculum vitae.

Rachel Van Noord, Senior Manager of OCLC’s Member Training and Support Communities, gave a presentation on “Practical Approaches to Maintaining Cataloging Competencies.” Ms. Van Noord discussed OCLC’s transition to electronic learning, and how her organization is supporting continuing education in cataloging (with a focus on RDA) and what OCLC looks for when hiring catalogers. Ms. Van Noord identified five critical competencies: subject matter expertise, language expertise, cataloging expertise, emotional intelligence and technical knowledge. In 2012, OCLC trained 10,912 members, and 674 classes were held, 46 percent of which were for cataloging training. So far in 2013, 6,304 members have been trained, 365 classes have been held and 35 percent of the classes have been for cataloging training. Ms. Van Noord demonstrated OCLC’s training portal, where free online training is offered for members. She showed attendees the various courses offered by OCLC, including current and future training for RDA. Ms. Van Noord concluded her presentation by describing the competencies needed for a Level III Metadata Specialist (cataloger) at OCLC. Some of those competencies include a knowledge of book and non-book cataloging and the training and quality review of other catalogers.

The final speaker Allyson Carlyle, Associate Professor of the Information School at the University of Washington, gave a presentation entitled, “Cataloging Competencies for a Dynamic Professional.” Dr. Carlyle described librarians, in general, as “tool builders” and “tool users.” In the nineteenth century, catalogers in particular were tool builders, resulting in the creation of such tools as national cataloging standards. Catalogers transitioned to tool users in the twentieth century and with the building of repositories, linked data and separate systems for special collections, are once again tool builders in the 21st century. She emphasized that it is critical for librarians to share data, stay abreast of linked data developments, and familiarize themselves with semantic web tools such as RDF. In the current environment, important competencies will be project management, a willingness to work with multiple stakeholders and the ability to work with automatic metadata extractors. Other necessary skills include being a strong and effective advocate, marketing one’s abilities and being a solid public speaker. She listed some of the newest courses at the University of Washington, including metadata design, ontology design, metadata design studio, information structures using XML, relational database management systems, and described their objectives.

The PowerPoint slides for these presentations have been posted on the Competencies & Education for a Career in Cataloging website at ALA Connect.

CaMMS Heads of Cataloging Interest Group

Reported by Jennifer Roper

This meeting, held Monday, January 28, 2013 at 8:30 a.m., was the second in a planned thematic series on assessment in a technical services environment. Speakers Casey Chaney and Rebecca Mugridge, respectively, spoke about quantitative and qualitative methodologies. The session was well attended, and a thoughtful discussion followed the presentations.

MAGIRT/ALCTS CaMMS Cartographic Resources Cataloging Interest Group

Reported by Marc McGee

The interest group met on Sunday, January 27, 2013 at 8:30 a.m. There was a summary discussion of the revised treatment of Globes in Library of Congress Subject Headings (LCSH) and Library of Congress Genre Form Terms (LCGFT). For details, see the document. In LCSH, the subject heading “Earth” will now be qualified by “Planet,” e.g. Earth (Planet), because there are other topical meanings associated with the term “earth”. The heading “Earth (Planet)--Maps” will be established as a separate heading. When this heading is used to describe a globe of the earth, the LCGFT term “Globes” will be used with Earth (Planet)--Maps. The genre subdivision “Globes” now applies to globes of all heavenly bodies. The revisions will appear on Tentative Monthly List 02 (February 18, 2013), and the revised records will be distributed in March 2013. Catalogers may start using these headings.

Discussion on the use of “World maps” in LCSH was raised by Min Zhang and Tammy Wong of LC who wanted to hear from the map community. Catalogers in the Geography & Map Division would prefer to keep this term to describe maps of the world rather than using the newly established LCSH heading Earth (Planet)--Maps. A point was made that users ask for “world maps.” Users search for globes in a different way, not under “World maps.” Paige Andrew pointed out that it’s useful to think about how discovery systems use the form/genre heading for faceting bibliographic records. The group agreed on the desirability of accepting “World maps” as a topical heading and as a genre heading. Min will advise Janis Young at the Policy and Standards Division (PSD) as to the preference of the community, and will forward policy proposals to Susan Moore for consideration by the Map and Geospatial Information Round Table (MAGIRT) Cartographic Cataloging Committee.

With regard to cartographic resources cataloging, what is a “Work” within the RDA/FRBR WEMI framework? Mary Larsgaard said she would recommend avoiding the creation of work records for cartographic resources since the community has never created “uniform titles” before. As an example, she cited a single 7.5 quadrangle map which is available in several paper editions, online, in microform, and scanned in different PPIs. The scanned objects are all different manifestations because of their different PPIs. There is no way the community would want to create a dozen work records. Discussion followed.

Mary cited some articles and a presentation that she and Kathy Rankin gave at the Western Association of Map Librarians (WAML) in October 2012. The presentation is available from the WAML toolbox under RDA.

Citations- Ruth Kalf (2008): FRBR: an Opportunity for Map Collections and Map Users? LIBER Quarterly, 18:2, 276–9.

Scott R. McEathron (2002): Cartographic Materials as Works, Cataloging & Classification Quarterly, 33:3-4, 181–91.

Tami Morse (2012): Mapping Relationships: Examining Bibliographic Relationships in Sheet Maps from Tillett to RDA, Cataloging Quarterly, 50:4, 225–48.

Louise Ratliff reported on an explanation of the BIBFRAME initiative given by Sally McCallum at the MARC Formats Transition Interest Group at ALA Midwinter. Find a summary of the program online.

Information about BIBFRAME will be available after the conference online.

See also http://bibframe.org/.

Tammy Wong spoke about RDA-related policies at LC. Before cataloging a map, they do a name/title search to make sure that what they have is a separate entry. They assign a 1xx field if at all possible, so that their entry may be unique. There are too many non-unique name/title entries. A discussion followed about ways of further qualifying resources, including place of publication, for older non-unique entries.

Min Zhang mentioned that Adam Schiff presented a discussion paper at CC:DA about relationship designators in RDA. It is to include information about geographic name relationship designators. The discussion paper was recommended for review.

The concept of “Core” and “Core if” elements in RDA was briefly discussed. There are no major changes in terms of expected bibliographic elements appearing in the “Core” and “Core if” elements for cartographic materials.

The Bounding Box Tool by Klokan Technologies was discussed. Many of those present use this tool to identify and add bounding coordinates for maps thye are cataloging. Marc McGee will write up a brief description of how to use the Bounding Box Tool. It is to be published in Baseline. A question was asked with regard to how many institutions always add coordinates to their map records as a matter of policy. Many of those present always add coordinates to map records. Those that do record bounding box coordinates were asked about the use of degrees, minutes and seconds vs. decimal degree notation, since many non-library geospatial systems use decimal degree notation for spatial search. The use of both methods of notation was reported by the group.

There was discussion on the suitability of LCSH for describing geospatial data sets in the OpenGeoportal (OGP). Many institutions involved with OGP use LCSH to describe themes in the metadata for geospatial data layers. There is a problem of data layers needing more specific subject keywords than those available in LCSH. The Interest Group was asked whether the OGP metadata community should make an effort to address gaps in LCSH through the SACO program or whether they would be better served looking toward other thesauri (for example, Getty, GNS) for more specific description of geospatial resources. The consensus of the group seemed to favor applying relatively broad LCSH terms and using other thesauri for more specific terminology when appropriate. Marc McGee will report on our discussion to the OGP Metadata Working Group and report back on any further developments in the OGP Metadata Working Group.

CaMMS RDA Conference Forums and Programs Task Force

Reported by June Abbas

The Task Force held a meeting at ALA Midwinter, January 27, 2013, to discuss planning for the ALA 2013 Annual Meeting. At this point, the following preconference and forums are under discussion or in development: a one day preconference: “RDA: Back to the Basics” (approved by the Program Committee and in development); forums, including: an RDA Update Forum, implementation stories and strategies and a vendor update.

The first portion of the meeting was spent on a debriefing from the RDA Update Forum that was held at ALA Midwinter and on whether or not one final RDA Update Forum was needed at Annual Conference. It was decided to plan one final RDA Update Forum for Annual. Abbas will organize this forum.

The remainder of the meeting focused on planning the Annual Conference preconference session. A replacement speaker for Dr. Robert Ellett, who passed away recently, was discussed, and suggestions were made to contact Debra Fritz. Chamya Kincy will fill one of the sessions scheduled for Dr. Ellett. Abbas and Elder are in charge of organizing the preconference with help from task force members.

The other forums were also discussed and subcommittees set up to start planning each forum. Two of our visitors—Pettit and Thorrat—volunteered to assist the Task Force planning the Vendor and Implementation Stories forums.

A full report of Task Force activities during 2012 has been submitted to the Committee on Cataloging: Description & Access and the ALCTS Cataloging and Metadata Management Section Executive Committee. The meeting adjourned at 5:45 p.m.