Midwinter CaMMS Committee Reports

These reports summarize ALCTS committee activities up to and during the 2012 ALA Annual Midwinter Meeting in Dallas, Texas, held January 19–23, 2012.

ALCTS Division | Acquisitions (AS) | Cataloging & Metadata Management (CaMMS) | Collection Management (CMS) | Continuing Resources (CRS) | Preservation & Reformatting (PARS)

Cataloging and Metadata Management Section (CaMMS) Committees

Cataloging of Children’s Materials Committee

Brief reports were heard from members, vendor representatives, and ex-officio members. Minutes from the Annual Conference in New Orleans were approved, and discussion on program ensued. Ideas for programs were discussed, with two possibilities, something on graphic novels or the RDA experience. Ric (Northeast Independent School District) was the only school library selected for the RDA test. It was decided that Ric would present his experiences with the RDA test, and give a brief description of cataloging practices developed under RDA. He would also choose a series and trace it through and show all the various aspects. Title of program to be determined.

Linda Geisler has agreed to serve as the new chair for the committee.

Committee on Cataloging: Asian and African Materials

The committee received reports from each community’s liaison: Elisa Coghlan (South Asia) ; Xudong Jin (East Asia) ; Bruce Johnson (LC) ; Mieko Mazza (Southeast Asia Specialist) ; Rebeccca Routh (Middle East) ; Marcia Tiede (Africa).

The committee discussed and approved of the following three new or revised ALA-LC Romanization tables that had been reviewed by constituent communities and/or the committee members: Khmer---approved as corrected, Syriac---approved, Moroccan Tamazight---approved. Asia specialist also reported the progress of that community’s response on clarification of Japanese Romanization table.

The committee will be continuously working on incoming tables such as Manchu and Shan for next few months, and make discussions on these languages at Annual Conference.

The highlight of this meeting was the presentation “The Grand Encoding of Everything Texual: An Advance Introduction to Unicode” delivered by Martin Hosken (Summer Institute of Linguistics, Inc).

Committee on Cataloging: Description & Access (CC:DA)

CC:DA continues to work on revision proposals for RDA. Meetings in Dallas focused on revision proposals that are intended to be submitted for consideration at the next JSC meeting as well as on ideas for several new revision proposals.

The Joint Steering Committee for Development of RDA (JSC) representative announced that Barbara Tillett will chair the JSC for at least the next two years and Judy Kuhagen will serve as secretary. The Deutsche Nationalbibliothek is now a member of the JSC. One ALA proposal submitted for the JSC’s November 2011 meeting was approved with minor changes (6JSC/ALA/1, Reports of one court). The JSC asked for more substantial changes in two ALA proposals (6JSC/ALA/2, Heads of State and Heads of Government; 6JSC/ALA/4, Artistic and/or Technical Credit); revised proposals are awaiting approval. A fourth ALA proposal (6JSC/ALA/3, Affiliation) was not approved.

The JSC plans to meet in person once per year (in October for 2012) but substantive revisions to RDA may be made twice per year. The deadline for the next round of revision proposals is in February 2012, and the deadline for the fall cycle is tentatively set for the end of July.

CC:DA approved a revision proposal from the JSC Representative on RDA 6.21 (Other distinguishing characteristics of a legal work) and 6.29.1.33 (Additions to access points representing treaties). This proposal addresses the situation in which more than one treaty between the same parties is signed on the same day. This proposal is expected to be submitted to the JSC in time for the spring cycle of substantive revisions.

The committee discussed two additional revision proposals but did not take action during the conference. Several issues were clarified regarding a proposal from AALL on Places in certain jurisdictions. Work will continue on an ATLA proposal regarding the Apocrypha and apocryphal books. Three CC:DA task forces gave preliminary reports on revision proposals: the Task Force on RDA Instructions for Governmental and Non-Governmental Corporate Bodies; the Task Force on Machine-Actionable Data Elements in RDA Chapter 3; and the Task Force on Sources of Information.

Documentation

CC:DA approved a revision of the document “How to Submit a Rule Change Proposal to CC:DA” that incorporates changes related to RDA and to the JSC’s processes. After some editorial changes, the document will be posted on the CC:DA web site and ALA Connect.

A revision to CC:DA’s Procedures document was discussed; a few additional changes will be made before it is finalized.

Web Site

The CC:DA webmaster presented three mock-ups of a new web site design for the site on the ALA server. The committee preferred the version that uses the WordPress software, which has advantages including flexibility and ease of updating and indexing. The webmaster will work with the ALA office to set up a test site before implementing.

New Task Forces

CC:DA approved the formation of three new Task Forces:

  • Task Force on Relationship Designators in RDA Appendix K
  • Task Force on Instructions for Recording Relationships
  • Task Force to Revise Building International Descriptive Cataloging Standards

Appointments will be made shortly after Midwinter.

Continuing Education Committee

This committee met virtually February 2012 and reported to CaMMS Executive Committee January 2012 before Midwinter. The Executive Committee clarified the charge to our Committee: to identify cataloging and classification topics and send ideas forward; limiting ideas on RDA training to making suggestions to the appropriate RDA committees. In the past year, we developed two webinars on difficult Library of Congress classification schedules “H” for Social Sciences and P (for Literature). These were accepted and are on the 2012 ALCTS schedule. We are currently working to develop a future webinar on the Principles of Classification as a precursor to an ALCTS course on classification. Individual members are also working to identify and propose webinars on specific topics identified in our meeting. We have created several committee resource lists to help us identify webinar topics and presenters. One was based on programs at ALA Annual 2011.

We are also working on an annotated list of free webinar providers in cataloging and classification, including ALA sources. Once completed, we plan to post it publicly in ALA Connect. We are also working to improve our ALA Connect site’s use and organization and we are investigating sponsoring an ALCTS e-forum.

We also assist in reviewing ALCTS courses in cataloging and classification, and this past year created a task force that provided detailed feedback on the Fundamentals of Cataloging, an online course in development. This year, we will provide reviewers for the pilot course.

Executive Committee

Online votes were confirmed; responsibilities and interaction of the various ALCTS, PCC, and CaMMS education committees were reviewed and clarified; as much as possible the various groups will coordinate with the PCC/CaMMS CEMT Committee to provide complete coverage of RDA training. The following existing web sites will be promoted as RDA training and planning resources:

All interest groups, committees, and task forces will be encouraged to think of how events they produce can be turned into publications or virtual symposiums.

Policy and Planning Committee

The majority of our committee members were newly appointed so we introduced ourselves and spent time reviewing the purpose and procedures of the committee. During this past fall we sent Interest Group Petitions for Renewal to the Copy Cataloging Interest Group and the Heads of Cataloging Departments Interest Group. Both groups seem to be doing well and their petitions were approved by the ALCTS CaMMS Executive Committee. Committee member Michele Seikel is now working with the Research and Publications Committee on their committee review. Our committee will be reviewing their paperwork and submitting it to the Executive Committee for the ALA Annual Conference. Kristin Lindlan, our Liaison to the ALCTS Planning Committee, discussed their committee’s work and the new Strategic plan tracking mechanism.

Recruitment and Mentoring Committee

Committee members discussed the mentoring program. Notices were distributed immediately prior to Midwinter.

Research & Publications Committee

Michele Seikel (from CaMMS Policy & Planning Committee) shared a self-assessment questionnaire that we are to complete as part of the committee renewal process. Michele said this is an opportunity to reflect on our charge and suggest possible changes. The committee believes that the charge is need of rewriting. The committee will review the questionnaire over e-mail and Rocki will send the completed document back to Michele.

Lynda Wright and Mary Aycock reported progress on the program for our virtual preconference to be held online over three days in June 2012 before ALA Annual. “The How and Why of Research: What is the Rock in Your Shoe?” will feature Allyson Carlyle, Sandy Roe, and Steven Knowlton. Dates were still to be finalized with ALCTS Program Committee.

The remainder of the meeting time was spent on editorial suggestions for a bibliographic essay on linked data and the semantic web.

Subject Analysis Committee

The Subject Analysis Committee met twice at Midwinter. Reports were received from liaisons from Sears List of Subject Headings, LC Policy and Standards Divisions, Dewey Decimal Classification, Music Library Association, American Association of Law Libraries, Art Libraries Society, MARBI, OLAC CAPC Moving Image LC Genre/Form Headings Best Practices Task Force, FAST Project, IFLA, and SACO. We discussed a new proposal from SAC Genre/Form Subcommittee to identify relationships to categories of persons. There was a presentation from Karen Coyle entitled “KO: Knowledge Organization.”

Subject Analysis Committee Subcommittee on Genre/Form Implementation

Session 1, Sunday, January 22, 2012, at 8am

The chair summarized the work of the subcommittee that had been accomplished between Annual 2011 and Midwinter 2012, including the completion and approval by SAC of recommendations to LC on general form/genre terms based on existing LCSH form subdivisions and a request to LC Network Development and MARC Standards for a relator term/code for “setting.” In addition, the subcommittee created a bibliography of reference sources for form/genre terms, which was reviewed at the meeting and after some modifications are made will be posted on the SACO web site. Finally, the chair wrote a discussion paper for SAC on identifying relationships to categories of persons, which was on the agenda for SAC to discuss to provide the subcommittee feedback it needed to determine which options to pursue as possible MARBI proposals. The subcommittee’s second meeting will discuss the feedback from SAC and decide on a course of action.

The subcommittee then reviewed the discussions we had at ALA Annual 2011 on aspects of genre/form, to follow up on actions needed. A discussion paper will be prepared by Hearn by March 1 to examine the possibility of defining a first indicator value in MARC field 648 to differentiate between time of origin and time represented. The subcommittee then discussed the two reports on genre/form aspects that had not been discussed in New Orleans. For Contursi’s report on text preparation, the group felt that any needed terms would fall under the domain of LCGFT, so no further action is needed at this time. For Schiff’s report on geographic origin, the subcommittee wants to pursue further possible development of MARC field 752. A group consisting of Mandelstam, Mastraccio, Prager, and Vermeij will draft a discussion paper by March 1.

Finally, the subcommittee reviewed a discussion paper prepared principally by the chair and Mastraccio on demonyms (names for residents of a place or citizens of a country). Discussion centered on whether such names should be incorporated into authority records for the place, whether authority records for countries and regions should link to subject authority records for nationalities and regional group headings, or whether there are other methods that should be employed to bring out geographic origin of works. Schiff and Hearn will produce a MARC discussion paper by March 1 that will discuss two options (perhaps not mutually exclusive): 1) adding demonyms in a new 3XX field in authority records for places; 2) creating a separate controlled vocabulary for demonyms for use in MARC and other contexts or to identify an existing vocabulary for use specifically in MARC records.

Session 2, Monday, January 23, 2012, at 8am

The subcommittee convened for its second meeting of this conference and heard reports from the Library of Congress liaison (J. Young), AALL (Mandelstam), MLA (Vermeij), and OLAC (Ryszka). Young indicated that she would like help from the subcommittee with the literature project, and the subcommittee agreed that if LC’s administration approves the idea of working with an outside group on this project, a task force will be formed. Mastraccio offered to chair such a group and volunteers in the room included Anderson, Hearn, Knowlton, Ryszka, and Thurman. Several persons spoke up about the need to include members from public libraries and literature groups. The chair will consider how to solicit members from these constituencies, write a charge, and appoint the group once we hear if LC approves such a relationship. (Note: subsequent to the conference, Janis Young reported that LC did agree to work with us).

The subcommittee then discussed the outcomes of the SAC discussion on identifying relationships to categories of persons. Based on the feedback from SAC, Schiff, Tabb, and Vermeij will produce a MARC discussion paper by March 1.

Once the four MARC discussion papers are received by the chair, the full subcommittee will discuss and revise them and then send them on to SAC for approval. The goal is to have all four on MARBI’s agenda at ALA Annual 2012 in Anaheim.

The subcommittee then discussed what future genre/form projects might LC wish to consider. Art and architecture would be a good one, with which LC could collaborate with ARLIS. Rare and special collections materials was another one that people thought should be high on the list.