ALA Annual Conference 2011

Committee Reports

The reports below are summaries of the activities that took place during meetings of ALCTS committees held during the 2011 ALA Annual Conference in New Orleans. Included are groups whose reports were received by the editor as of August 1, 2011. For information on committees not shown here, see the ALCTS Committees page on the web site.

Division | Acquisitions | Cataloging & Metadata Management | Collection Management | Continuing Resources | Preservation & Reformatting    

Division Committees

Budget & Finance Committee

During the 2011 ALA Annual Conference in New Orleans, Budget & Finance met twice. The main topic for the shorter Friday meeting was a status report on the FY 2011 budget to date. The Sunday meeting focused on the FY 2012 budget.

FY 2011 revenue was 51 percent more than what was budgeted for due to a strong Midwinter symposium and continuing education revenues. Subscriptions, memberships and book sales are all weak. Expenses were about 15 percent more than what were budgeted for. Expenses associated with the large number of symposium and continuing education attendees were up. But, these are “good” expenses as the revenue stream far outweighs expenses. Overall, the budget is in good shape and even with the revenue and expenditures for Annual Conference added in the fourth quarter, ALCTS should be in the black with a modest positive balance.

Sunday’s main agenda items included a review of the FY 2012 revised budget. It is anticipated that revenues from continuing education will continue to be strong. The areas of weakness are still subscriptions, membership and publications. The committee recommended that the FY 2012 budget be presented to the ALCTS Board for approval as discussed and this was passed. The committee agreed to a recommendation from Peggy Johnson that ALCTS should fund an initiative to support quality literature reviews. There are five reviews and they would be supported at the rate of $1,000 each over a two-year period. We also discussed in principle Mary Beth Thomson’s suggestion from the “Transforming Collections Report” that ALCTS prove some micro grants to promote technological experimentation. There is no firm proposal as yet but the committee agreed that this is the type of initiative that we should be supporting.

Janet Lute provided an update from the Budget and Planning Assembly held earlier in the day.

Continuing Education Committee

Semiannual Highlights

From January to June 2011

  • Seventeen webinars (including three for Preservation Week) with about 5,000 registrants.
  • Four web courses (Fundamentals of Collection Development and Management, Fundamentals of Electronic Resources Acquisitions, Fundamentals of Acquisitions, and Fundamentals of Preservation) with 349 attendees.
  • Seven e-Forums generated 1,435 messages by 536 participants.
  • Two Webinar Open Houses; one at Midwinter and one at Annual Conference.

Looking Ahead

  • Scheduled sixteen webinars (August–December)—including August 1 on the Library of Congress’ Bibliographic Framework initiative and September 14 on basic book repair—both of which will be free and six webinars already scheduled for January–June 2012.
  • “Fundamentals” courses will be offered throughout the fall
  • “Fundamentals of Collection Assessment” with be tested soon
  • Development of “Fundamentals of Cataloging” will be complete
  • New course on “Fundamentals of Digital Preservation” to be considered
  • e-Forums will continue once a month:
    • “Telecommuting in Libraries” scheduled for fall 2011
    • Virtual Midwinter symposium on leadership planned
  • International outreach:
    • Demonstrate webinar software for librarians at the Library of Alexandria
    • Explore possibility of offering one or more of the IFLA Acquisition and Collection Development Section conference programs as webinars in 2012
    • Continue to offer webinars to international participants at the ALCTS member rate
    • Use ALCTS World list to reach international audience

Committee Information

  • Used GoToWebinar® to hold two successful online committee meetings between Midwinter and Annual Conference
  • Expanded committee roster to fourteen with the appointment of a virtual member for 2012; subcommittee members provide technical support for webinars and serve as liaisons for online course review and development

Fundraising Committee

2011–12 Plans

Charles talked about developing a marketing piece for LRTS that might include opportunities for sponsorship. Incoming chair, Genevieve Owens, will prepare a draft “value proposition” for ALCTS sponsors that could be distributed. Due to ALA’s tax-exempt status, sponsorships and advertising cannot be tied together.

Charles recommended the committee designate a representative to PARS to facilitate communication, particularly because of an increased emphasis on Preservation Week events. It is important to coordinate sponsor messages so the same vendor is not asked twice.

The “Sponsorship Opportunities Guidelines” document is in need of revision.

Betsy Simpson, incoming ALCTS president, informed the committee that the 2012 presidents program will be jointly sponsored and planned with ACRL.

2010–11 Review and Transition

Ten sponsors provided $15,000 in support for ALCTS for 2010–11. Susan reviewed the general framework for sponsorships; generally they are tied to program offerings (at conference, continuing education webinars, and online courses) that appeal to the particular sponsor. There may be opportunities to work more with ALCTS Interest Groups through Dale Swensen, the IG coordinator.

Susan alerted the committee to be aware of the Transforming Collections Task Force, chaired by Mary Beth Thomson. There may be sponsorship opportunities related to the group’s recommendations.

The new ALCTS Plan (the Strategic Plan) identifies “explaining what we’re about and what we do” as one of the division’s critical issue areas. Creating an “identity document” about ALCTS would be helpful to incorporate into solicitations for sponsorships.

The incoming chair will explore the use of ALCTS’ GoToMeeting® software to schedule virtual meetings between conferences.

Cynthia Whitacre is carrying on a tradition of ALCTS presidents sending handwritten thank-you notes to our sponsors.

Genevieve will draft a message about the role and responsibilities of the Fundraising Committee in regards to obtaining sponsorships for ALCTS program events to share with the ALCTS Leaders list. The committee has found it needs to periodically clarify roles because there has been confusion about what the Fundraising Committee does versus what program planners are responsible for.

The rest of the meeting was spent orienting incoming committee members to the committee.

International Relations Committee

The committee received reports from several of the ALCTS IFLA liaisons: Charlene Chou, Bibliography Section; John Hostage, Cataloguing Section; Sue Kellerman, Newspaper Section; and David Miller and Edward O’Neill, Classification and Indexing Section.

The committee has proposed a program for the 2012 Annual Conference, to be cosponsored by the RDA Programs Task Force, focusing on RDA in the international context. David Miller had met with the ALCTS Program Committee prior to the IRC meeting. The Program Committee suggested a two-hour time slot, with seating for up to two hundred people. We will put together a program of four speakers representing different continents and language groups.

The committee reviewed the process of awarding grants for ALCTS online courses to librarians from developing countries. We received so many good applications as a result of our call early in 2011, that we will fill the remaining courses in 2011 from those applicants, and put out another call for the 2012 course sections. We will also investigate the possibility that some course sections may have run with empty seats, which could potentially be filled by other grant applicants. We will also revise the guidelines on the application form, describing the essential points for supervisors’ letters of recommendation.

Committee members Birdie MacLennan and Anne Gilliland provided an analysis of the survey of ALCTS International Members conducted last year. We discussed their recommendations, noting that the 2012 program already addresses one set of needs expressed by international members. We continue this process online after Annual, followed by a straw poll ranking of the ideas we develop, and will map the top ideas to both the ALCTS Strategic Plan and the ALA IRC 2015 Strategic Plan.

Leadership Development Committee

Discussion of two leadership development projects related to the Emerging Leaders Program: (1) publicizing to ALCTS members and groups the opportunity to propose projects for Emerging Leaders, and (2) selecting the Emerging Leader to receive ALCTS sponsorship. We will work on these projects according to the deadlines set by the Emerging Leaders program (bulk of work will probably be in July and August).

Discussion of project to develop and host orientation webinars for new committee chairs at all levels of ALCTS. Meeting attendees (incoming committee members in particular) had a lot of great ideas for this project, and we aim to present the first webinar in late summer or early fall. We hope to make it part of a short series of programs offered throughout the year on topics of interest to committee chairs (e.g., using Connect to prepare for Midwinter). All programs will be offered in real time but recorded for future use, and we will work closely with the Continuing Education Committee to take advantage of their technical expertise in webinar hosting.

Joint discussion held with the Membership Committee, focusing on the orientation webinar project and ALCTS 101.

LRTS Editorial Board

Minutes from January 9, 2011 meeting approved.

Update on MetaPress®, e-LRTS, and CrossRef from Christine McConnell: e-LRTS should go live this fall.

Discussion of editor’s report.

Discussion with Charles Wilt of proposal from October Ivins regarding new approaches to marketing LRTS and increased ads.

Update from Norm Medeiros, Book Review Editor.

Board members reported their activities to solicit papers and suggested topics about which papers should be solicited.

Membership Committee

The Membership Committee approved its minutes from its 2011 Midwinter Meeting in San Diego. The minutes of that meeting have been posted in the Committee’s space in ALA Connect.

Committee members Karen Darling, Rebecca Mugridge, and Valentine Muyumba ended their terms on the committee. The chair thanked them for their years of service on the committee and for the work they have done for the committee over the years. Committee members Brian Falato, Lori Kappmeyer, and Karen Wilhoit have been reappointed to terms on the committee. Their new terms expire in 2013. Intern Dracine Hodges accepted an appointment as a member of the committee. Her new term runs from 2011 to 2013. NMRT representative Haiyun Cao has had her term extended to 2012. The chair of the committee has been reappointed for another year, with a term that now expires at the end of the conference in Anaheim in 2012.

New members appointed to the committee: Amy Baptist will be the committee’s new CaMMS representative, replacing Valentine Muyumba. Her term of appointment is from 2011 to 2013. Tim Strawn is the committee’s new ALCTS Board liaison, replacing Rebecca Mugridge. His term of appointment is from 2011 to 2014. Kady Ferris is the committee’s new intern, replacing Dracine Hodges. She has a one-year appointment to the committee. The chair will send welcome messages to each of the newly appointed committee members sometime after the conference.

The committee discussed this year’s ALCTS 101, held on Friday, June 24, 2011 in the room 245 of the New Orleans Convention Center. This year’s event was a collaborative effort between the Membership Committee and the ALCTS New Members Interest Group (ANMIG), and was deemed a success by the Membership Committee and others. The committee was pleased with the turnout at the event and the content of the program. Members of the committee along with ALCTS colleagues manned the tables during the speed-dating portion of the evening. Eleven tables were set up and attendees rotated from table to table every five or six minutes during the program portion of the evening.

Thinking ahead to next year’s ALCTS 101 program in Anaheim, the members of the committee offered suggestions for how to improve and enhance the ALCTS 101 experience. These ideas were recorded by the chair and included in the committee’s formal minutes. Additionally, they will be shared with the continuing and incoming leaders of ANMIG.

The committee briefly talked about other membership and outreach activities in which it should be involved. Several ideas and suggestions were brought forth and discussed: outreach to library school students and faculty, a “mini” ALCTS 101 at Midwinter Meetings, and a presence at the ALA Membership Pavilion at annual conferences. The committee will discuss these ideas more via its e-mail list and at its next meeting in Dallas in 2012.

Committee member and ALCTS Board liaison Rebecca Mugridge reported on membership statistics for ALCTS and ALA. ALCTS membership stands at 4,197 as of May 2011. That is a slight increase from May 2010 when our membership totaled 4,166. The number of regular members in ALCTS is down, but the number of student members has increased. The ALCTS division showing the largest increase in members from last year: PARS.

Most of the other ALA divisions have lost membership, except for LITA and ALTAFF, which have shown slight increases in their numbers since last year. Total ALA membership as of May 2011: 60,556, down from 62,251 in May of 2010.

Additionally, Mugridge gave the committee some financial news about ALCTS. The revenue from LRTS paid subscriptions is down; the revenue from our continuing education programs, preconferences, and webinars is up.

Due to time constraints, the chair was not able to report on the meetings she attended on behalf of the committee and ALCTS. She agreed to follow up electronically with notes from the ALCTS All Division-Chairs meeting, and the ALA Membership Committee and the ALA Membership Promotion (Task Force) meeting. The chair’s notes and observations on the ALCTS All Division-Chairs meeting were included in the committee’s formal minutes, distributed to the committee after the conference; the chair’s notes from the ALA Membership and the ALA Membership Promotion (Task Force) meeting were sent to committee members separately and posted in the committee’s space in ALA Connect.

After the committee finished its scheduled business, some of its members joined the Leadership Development Committee for a discussion of the orientation webinar(s) they are developing for new leaders and members. The Membership Committee offered to assist the Leadership Development Committee, if they needed additional help with their project.

Organization & Bylaws Committee

Began the meeting talking to Cynthia Whitacre and Betsy Simpson. As decided at Midwinter, Art Miller attempted to contact the two interest groups that are due for renewal before Annual Conference so that the current and incoming chairs could be involved. He emailed both but has not received a reply from the Out-of-Print Interest Group, or been able to confirm any activity recently by that group. He postponed contacting the committees that are up for review to see where we were with an online form. Progress has been made. Erica Findley has been communicating with Christine McConnell. Cheri Folkner agreed to examine the ALA Connect list to confirm that the interest group lists match the Organization & Bylaws Committee (O&B) records.

Further discussion of the section reviews that O&B has been asked to begin this year. Confirmed the list of questions. Set a time for this year and following years, and a schedule of the section reviews. Reviews to done every five years with the schedule kept on the O&B Connect page. First draft submitted by Art Miller to the committee by August 15, and then to Betsy Simpson by August 31 for reply by September 15. Plan is then to begin contacting the section chairs by October 1, 2011. Hoping for some feedback and trying to allow for some flexibility this first year.

Planning Committee

The committee discussed briefly the final (June 15) draft of the ALCTS Strategic Plan. The Strategic Plan had gone through several drafts, and the next-to-final draft was distributed to the membership of ALCTS for comment. Comments were collected through a survey, and forty-six members responded to this survey.

Although the survey comments were generally positive, some changes were made to the plan in response to the survey. The reactions from the section executive committees and from the Board were also generally positive.

Also discussed was the development of a mechanism for tracking progress on the Strategic Plan within ALA Connect; committee members will continue work on this mechanism with the goal of having something in place by Midwinter Meeting 2012.

The committee decided to consolidate and finalize draft job descriptions for the chair, for section representatives, for members and for virtual members by Midwinter Meeting 2012.

Finally, the committee had two virtual meetings between the Midwinter Meeting and the Annual Conference. Based on that experience, it was decided to schedule times for virtual meetings immediately after the conference rather than waiting to determine if such meetings are needed.

Program Committee

Program Committee met with representatives of various planning groups to discuss fourteen potential programs or preconferences. Most proposals were solid ideas and should make excellent ALCTS programs. Additional program suggestions would be welcomed by the Program Committee.

Program Committee reviewed the drafts of the best practices documents for programs and preconferences and agreed that these should go up on the ALCTS web site.

Program Committee also reviewed the schedule proposed by Charles Wilt. The change in regular slots may need to be taken into account as we place programs in time slots against big draw interest groups. Also the no-conflict time on Friday has a profound effect on the timing of Friday preconferences.

The program spreadsheets should appear soon. These will develop and fill in over the next six months.

Publications Committee

The committee received updates from ex-officio members and section liaisons.

Christine McConnell reported that the Acquisitions Series' Guide to Video Acquisitions in Libraries is now available in the ALA online store. The Acquisitions Series' Guide to Online Approval Plans and Sudden Selector’s Series' Guide to Chemistry Resources and Guide to Biology Resources are in production. Planning & Construction of Conservation Laboratories: A Guidebook is tentatively to be ready by Midwinter Meeting 2012.

Narda Tafuri gave a brief report for the Library Materials Price Index (LMPI) Committee. They have had some struggles this year, but will be publishing the Library & Book Trade Almanac, and the Legal Serials Index. A model is still needed for electronic journals.

Stephen Dew gave an update on proposals and manuscripts in the Collection Management Section’s Sudden Selector's series, and noted that the Collection Connection blog, collectionconnection.alcts.ala.org, is now live.

Dina Giambi, incoming ALCTS Publications Committee chair, reported that ALCTS will be creating a Publishing Task Force, which will look at ALCTS publishing in a broad way. ALCTS Publications Committee will need to align itself with whatever initiatives come forward from the Task Force. Betsy Simpson will be appointing committee members this summer.

Ross Atkinson Lifetime Achievement Award Jury

On Sunday, June 26, ALCTS named Jan Merrill-Oldham, formerly the Malloy-Rabinowitz Preservation Librarian at Harvard University, as the recipient of the Ross Atkinson Lifetime Achievement Award for 2011. Merrill-Oldham received her citation in a ceremony at her home in February due to an illness and has donated the monetary award to the ALA General Scholarship Fund.

The committee had several excellent candidates from which to choose and strongly encourages the incoming chair to consider those who did not receive the award for the 2012 award.   

Acquisitions Section

Acquisitions Organization and Management Committee

Organization and Management presented a successful program in New Orleans, entitled “The Future of Acquisitions: Planning for Change in an Ever-Changing Environment.” We were very happy with 230 attendees, approximately one-third of which were public library acquisitions folks. The reviews were very favorable. The committee brainstormed ideas for our next program at our meeting and had two that were viable. Jeanne (Harrell who will be chair next year) was going to look into working with programs between meetings to submit a proposal.

The webinar based on our preconference from the 2010 conference, “Taming the Licensing Tiger,” is scheduled for February 29, 2012 and will be held as one session. The title is still to be determined. (Thanks to Jeanne who shepherded this through Continuing Ed.)

Executive Committee

Major board agenda topics were discussed during the Acquisitions Section Executive Committee meeting including re-shaping ALCTS, conference scheduling (proposed changes for ALCTS), and strategic planning. The Executive Committee asked Lai-Ying Hsiung, Chair of the Acquisitions Section (AS) Technology Committee and Morag Boyd, Member-at-Large, to pursue a Continuing Education outcome from the successful preconference on “Patron-Driven Acquisitions of E-books.”

The majority of the efforts of the AS currently are in support of goal three in the 2006–11 Strategic Plan, "Goal Area 3: ALCTS provides and facilitates continuing education and fosters life-long learning."

Webinar creation: Jeanne Harrell of AS Organization and Management Committee worked with the ALCTS Continuing Education Committee to base a webinar on the AS preconference at Annual 2010, “Taming the Licensing Tiger.” The title for the webinar is to be determined, but it is scheduled for February 29, 2012.

AS Publications Committee provided this update:

  • The Guide to Media Acquisitions in Libraries: Issues and Best Practices is available in bookstores. Eds Note:The final title of this publication is Guide to Video Acquisitions in Libraries: Issues and Best Practices.
  • The Guide to Online Approval Plans was submitted to ALA Publications.
  • The first draft of the Guide to Patron-Driven Acquisitions was reviewed by the Executive Committee in April 2011, and the author is currently editing the manuscript. She expects to complete the edits in July 2011.
  • A proposal was approved by AS Publications and AS Executive committees as well as the ALCTS Publications Committee for the Guide to Ethics in Acquisitions Librarianship. The authors plan to submit the manuscript at Annual 2012.

The preconference for Annual 2011 was a success: The Technology Committee under leadership of Lai-Ying Hsiung had a full day pre-conference on Friday, with sixty-four participants and eleven speakers. The topic was patron-driven acquisition for e-books. Lai-Ying Hsiung and Morag Boyd (AS Member-at-Large) will pursue a Continuing Education outcome from this.

Two AS programs for Annual 2011 were well-attended:

  • The AS Research and Statistics Committee conducted a program featuring practical advice for working with usage statistics and other statistical data. This panel was titled “Slicing & Dicing: Usage Statistics for the Practitioner.” There were about 150 attendees and the session evaluations were generally positive.
  • The AS Organization and Management Committee conducted a program called, “The Future of Acquisitions: Planning for Change in an Ever-changing Environment” designed to address what acquisitions departments are doing to plan for the future without print and how they are developing new skill sets in their staff. There were 230 attendees and approximately one third were from public libraries.

Policy and Planning proposed a draft revised schedule to stagger reviews and get our section back on track; the draft schedule was approved by the AS Executive Committee at Annual. Policy and Planning caught up with a backlog of reviews and the AS Executive Committee approved continuation with existing charges for four committees: Awards, Nominations, Policy & Planning, and Publications. Chair Ann Fath is continuing and looks forward to working on the strategic plan next year. Ann also plans to post some helpful documentation for incoming chairs, using ALA Connect.

The Acquisitions Managers and Vendors Interest Group conducted a panel discussion at Annual on the topic of print-on-demand.

Three programs for Annual Meeting 2012:

  • “Transforming Technical Services/Acquisitions: Growing IT skill sets from within” was developed by the AS Technology Committee and was approved to be held on Saturday, June 23, 2012, 1:30-3:30 p.m. at Anaheim. Committee members will research possible content (i.e., what types of skill sets and how to grow them from within Technical Services) and speakers, so that more details will be presented to the Program Committee by September 2011.
  • The AS Organization and Management Committee brainstormed for a program proposal for Annual 2012.
  • The AS Research and Statistics Committee submitted a proposal for Annual 2012 on the topic of writing and research for publication in the field of acquisitions.

Policy and Planning Committee

Draft of Committee Review Calendar approved for consideration by AS Executive Committee.

Review of committee review questionnaires will continue to take place via ALA Connect, as does the vast majority of all committee business.

Feedback to committees will take place this summer (deadline: September 15, 2011).

Recommendation of development of Committee Chair/Interest Group Chair Manual made to incoming AS Chair. Referred to Program Planning Manual developed by the ALCTS Program Committee.

Recommended to incoming AS Chair that committee documentation should get posted to and remain on ALA Connect for future reference.

Publications Committee

The AS Publications Committee has three active publications in the pipeline, with strong ideas for several more.

The Guide to Online Approval Plans has been submitted to the ALA Publications.

The author has submitted the Guide to Patron-Driven Acquisitions manuscript and it has been reviewed by all committees and the author has started on the edits. She will have the edits completed in July 2011.

Proposal was approved by all committees for the Guide to Ethics in Acquisitions Librarianship. Authors will submit manuscript at Annual 2012.

Guide to Media-Acquisitions in Libraries is completed and available in book stores. Eds Note:The final title of this publication is Guide to Video Acquisitions in Libraries: Issues and Best Practices.

The committee briefly discussed the possibility of finding someone to write a Guide to Acquisitions during Organizational Change.

Research and Statistics Committee

The Research and Statistics Committee put on an excellent program at Annual Conference 2011 called “Slicing and Dicing: Usage Statistics for the Practitioner.” We had about 150 attendees and the session evaluations were generally positive. The committee has already submitted a proposal for Annual 2012 on the topic of writing and research for publication in the field of acquisitions.

Technology Committee

The ALCTS 2011 Patron-Driven Acquisitions (PDA) Preconference was held on Friday, June 23, from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m., with sixty-four participants and eleven speakers. Planning Committee was asked to think about contacting speakers to connect with ALCTS Continuing Education Committee to develop webinars or workshops on PDA in the coming year.

Program “Transforming Technical Services/Acquisitions: Growing IT skill sets from within” has been approved to be held on Saturday, June 23, 2012, 1:30–3:30 p.m. at Anaheim. Committee members will research on possible contents (what types of skill sets and how to grow them from within Technical Services) and speakers, so that more details will be presented to the Program Committee by September 2011.

ALA Connect site for the committee will be enhanced further, e.g., with links to the preconference.   

Cataloging & Metadata Management Section

Cataloging: Description & Access (CC:DA)

CC:DA is developing several revision proposals for RDA and preparing to respond to proposals from other constituencies. The Joint Steering Committee for Development of RDA (JSC) plans to meet in November; any new proposals for consideration at this meeting must be submitted by August 11. CC:DA’s meetings in New Orleans focused on five ALA revision proposals and three Library of Congress (LC) proposals and, in collaboration with Subject Analysis Committee (SAC), on the treatment of “subject” in the placeholder chapters in RDA.

The JSC representative reported that the JSC has continued to work via conference calls on corrections and minor changes to RDA. The JSC plans to charge a new examples group to work on examples in the text of RDA and to begin work on an official set of complete examples. The JSC is working on some structural issues in the Open Metadata Registry. Definitions are needed for each term in each vocabulary; CC:DA may participate in this work.

CC:DA approved a revision proposal on RDA instructions for Heads of State and Heads of Government. The proposal merges the separate instructions (RDA 11.2.2.21.1 and 11.2.2.21.2) and specifies the use of the language of the jurisdiction to create the access point (currently, for heads of state, the language preferred by the agency creating the data is used).

CC:DA discussed other ALA revision proposals but did not take action during the conference, as further discussion was warranted. Discussion will be continued on the wiki and the discussion list. These include: a proposal from the JSC representative on RDA 9.13 Affiliation; a proposal from American Association of Law Libraries on Places in certain federations; and two Music Library Association proposals, one on the status of container as a source for description and one on RDA 7.24 Artistic and/or Technical Credits. CC:DA plans to take action on these proposals in time for the JSC representative to submit them as ALA proposals for the fall JSC meeting.

In addition, CC:DA discussed proposals from LC on RDA Appendix A; Date of Manufacture; and “Selections” as used in RDA chapter 6. Responses to these and other constituency proposals are due September 28. Discussion will continue on the wiki.

CC:DA heard reports from two task forces working on revision proposals that will be submitted for a future JSC meeting: the Task Force on RDA Instructions for Governmental and Non-Governmental Corporate Bodies and the Task Force on Machine-Actionable Data Elements in RDA Chapter 3. In addition, the chair reported that ATLA will lead an effort to develop a revision proposal related to the Apocrypha. A new Task Force to Update “How to Submit a Rule Change Proposal” was appointed shortly before the conference; interim guidelines will be posted soon and a report is expected by Midwinter. A Task Force to Investigate Changes Affecting RDA in the Chicago Manual of Style, 16th ed. had been authorized in 2010 but delayed pending resolution of a proposal by LC; the charge will be drafted and the task force appointed after the conference.

The second half of the Monday meeting was a joint meeting with SAC, focusing on the treatment of “subject” in the Functional Requirements models and on subject entities and relationships in RDA. John Attig introduced the topic by describing the JSC perspective on the “placeholder” chapters in RDA and what they will contain. Gordon Dunsire described the treatment of subject in each of the FR models and the FRBR Review Group’s efforts to reconcile them. The meeting concluded with discussion of the LC discussion paper on Group 3 entity chapters in RDA (to which ALA will need to respond).

Committee on Cataloging: Asian and African Materials (CC:AAM)

The meeting was called to order at 1:35 pm. Agenda was approved with the change of the LC report, which was originally #6.2 moved up to agenda item #2. Minutes from 2010 Annual meeting was approved without a correction.

Library of Congress (LC) Report

Bruce Johnson introduced himself first. Bruce’s main responsibilities for this committee include processing and moving forward Romanization tables that have been on various stages, and converting Romanization Tables (RT) that have been on LC web site to Microsoft Word, for more consistent display results. LC report by Philip Melzer followed. He reviewed highlights from the written report: Relocations; Bibliographic data from vendors/Bibliographic Services agreements; Korean Romanization Automatic Conversion Tool Kit as a project of Northeast Asian Section of LC. For RDA, five testers from different language area have given input and evaluated. CC:AAM and other professional organizations such as Council on East Asian Libraries (CEAL) and Committee on Research Materials on Southeast Asia (CORMOSEA) will be asked to work on RDA principles and guidelines will have to be developed.

Thai Romanization Table

Apikanya McCarty reviewed the suggestions for changes to the current revised version of Thai table. Those suggestions include display problems and minor changes such as spelling and word division. These suggestions will be circulated for CC:AAM members to vote for endorsement after the conference.

Persian Romanization Table

Iman Dagher shared to the CC:AAM the suggestions for changes to the Persian RT from serial cataloger at UCLA who is a Persian native speaker and scholar. She was asked to circulate the written report so that the committee can review discuss on the table after the conference.

Notes on the Tamazight table

Charles Riley (member) presented the Tamazight RT draft that he has recently submitted to LC. The table basically follows the method used by the Institut Royal de la Culture Amazighe (IRCAM). As with other languages of Africa and the Americas, Tamazight in Latin script makes regular use of extended Latin characters in its standard orthography. Once the draft has been reviewed by LC, the CC:AAM will be asked to review and make comments.

Virtual Meeting

Hikaru Nakano shared the former conversation between Mary Mastraccio from ALCTS who raised the question about the limitation of CC:AAM’s specialist pool. As a solution, Nakano suggested the possibility to have more virtual meetings so specialists do not have to attend both ALA conferences. Because there were no clear pros and cons from the committee members, Nakano will do further research on software to use (i.e. Elluminate) and ask for more opinions later.

Community Updates

CC:DA Report

Nakano reported mainly the contents of CC:DA meeting on Saturday, June 25., that included JSC report, AALL proposal, and TF reports. She noted that the full report will be submitted to the committee after the conference.

LC Report. Barbara Tillett noted reports from Policy and Standards: Bibliographic Description including that Vai and Judeo-Arabic RT have been approved by CC:AAM.

JSC Report. Following proposals from LC were discussed:

  1. RDA Appendix A,
  2. Date of Manufacture, and
  3. “Selections” as used in RDA Chapter 6-1

Item three will continue to be discussed in wiki and item two will need internal discussion.

Revision Proposals to RDA from AALL (American Association of Law Libraries)

RDA Instructions for Heads of State and Heads of Government TF—(continued to be discussed in wiki); RDA Instructions for Governmental and NonGovernmental Corporate Bodies (approved by CC:DA).

OCLC Report

Julianne Beall reported on behalf of the OCLC representative. The report included the version update of Connexion client; Duplicate Detection and Resolution; MAR Update Project; WorldCat Statistics, and Dewey News.

ALC Cataloging Committee

Riley reported the brief summary of African Librarians Council (ALC) Cataloging Committee meeting on April 8, 2011, where the meeting focus on the discussion of the chronological headings in DDC and LC headings for Africa introduced by Marcia Tiede (Northwestern) and a roundtable discussion related with Cynthia Whitacre (OCLC) where she talked about several means of engagement with African libraries.

CEAL

Xudong Jin reported the highlights from Council of East Asian Libraries business meeting and preliminary meeting. His report included presentations at the meeting. Jin was advised to resubmit a report from CEAL technical processing committee later.

MELA

Iman Dagher reported on behalf of Middle East Librarians Association (MELA) representative. MELA’s Committee on Cataloging conducted its work via e-mail and Skype. Their major discussion include: Best Practices for Arabic Script Cataloging, where discussions continue on whether and how guidelines might be reconciled, or merged, with the PCC Best Practices for Creating Bib Records in Multiple Character Sets.

Expansion of Persian Cataloging Manual, in which controlled vocabularies have been documented for various types of Persian qualifiers in Arabic scripts. This now includes commonly-used terms, languages, enumerations, and titles associated with personal names.

CORMOSEA

Apikanya McCarty reported on behalf of Southeast Asia rep. McCarty highlighted some items discussed at the CORMOSEA Subcommittee on Technical Processes Annual Meeting, including:

  • ALA-LC Khmer Romanization Revision Proposal Update – in progress
  • ALA-LC Shan Romanization Table New Proposal Discussion – raised as new project
  • Indexing Vietnamese Names – historically it did not go through JSC for AACR2 after endorsement of CC:AAM. Follow-up may occur with JSC in the future.

No old business. New business: Member change after the ALA was announced by the chair.

Executive Committee

The CCS Executive Committee hosted a forum, “Turning Catalogers into Semantic Web Engineers, or, Out of the Catalog Drawer and onto the Internet Highway.” The semantic web often enters into discussions about the future of cataloging and the purpose of RDA. To meet users’ expectations, catalogers must become semantic web engineers so the library catalog will get out of the drawer and onto the Internet highway. Speakers addressed issues to consider as we approach the entrance ramp. Three sessions were presented:

  1. Bibliographic Data in the Semantic Web: What Issues Do We Face in Getting It There? presented by Gordon Dunsire
  2. Encoding Bibliographic Data: The Things and Strings of the Semantic Web, presented by Karen Coyle
  3. RDA and the Semantic Web, presented by Ed Jones

Presentations were posted on ALA Connect: http://connect.ala.org/node/150320

The Executive Committee met twice, Friday June 24 and Sunday June 26. At the first session, Kristin Lindlan of ALCTS Planning wanted us to be aware of the critical issues document forming the ALCTS Strategic Plan. It was discussed briefly and returned to later in the meeting. June Abbas, RDA Update planning, reported that preconferences have been successful. There are four forums planned at Annual Meeting involving vendors, educators, updates, etc. The RDA Task Force should continue, at least the update forum for Midwinter and Annual. Maybe it would make sense to cooperate with the IG’s chair, Dale Swenson. Steven suggested a session on authorities and FRAD and/or NACO. None of the NACO coordinators will have had any training on how to do authorities with RDA. Shelby noted that Kate Harcourt of the other RDA task force thought the task force should continue. Shelby noted that the appointments all expire. The chair-elect will contact the chairs for advice on continued membership and appoint new people as needed. We discussed the strategic plan. We thought we could address IIB Identify and implement best practices for encouraging virtual participation and IIC Utilized technology to incorporate virtual members into live, in-person meetings. We discussed changing our name. We first decided we should, next we decided “cataloging” should remain, and finally decided on metadata management. Therefore Cataloging and Classification Section (CCS) will be Cataloging and Metadata Management Section (CaMMS). We discussed several items to work on and George will send his notes to Mary and Shelby.

At the second session, Shelby reported that the CCS Exec Forum had about 175-200 in attendance with great comments following the meeting. SAC would like to see CCS Committees develop a past-president process with the chair always becoming past-chair. The problem would term limits. They could be listed as a consultant (we will need to check with Charles) rather than a member. SAC would like to send a letter to Congress acknowledging work LC does for librarians and keep funding. This will probably be to the ALCTS Continuing Education Committee which will do webinars on fundamentals of cataloging course, annotated list of cataloging resources. They are not doing RDA to avoid duplications with the RDA task forces, but instead focus on fundamentals so are doing an LC classification session. They would like to liaise with the two RDA task forces. The task forces would appoint a member to communicate with Continuing Education. Continuing Education used GoToMeeting software to do a virtual meeting. They plan to do that at next Midwinter.

Charge review: Continuing Education Training Materials. We recommend they change web-based course to appropriate forms. ALCTS chair issues: Virtual meetings, strategic plan, publications. The Leadership Orientation Committee is looking at reinstituting training for new leaders. There should be one in-person meeting at annual but virtual could be one or more meetings during the year. We agreed, when appropriate, committees could utilize virtual meetings. Diana Gambi will be doing ALCTS publications. PPC would like to shorten the time frame for the IG petitions for renewal so they would be on the Midwinter agenda or in that time frame. That was agreed to. There will be a person from the Transforming Collections Task Force serving as a liaison to CCS (CaMMS).

Policy & Planning Committee

Jeannette Ho gave an update on changes to the committee roster for 2011–12. Four members are rotating off the Committee after Annual: Dale Swensen, Sandra Macke, Valentine Muyumba, and Scott Piepenburg. Five new people will join the Committee: Michele Seikel, Jacqueline Toce, Sarah Weeks, Ruth Ziegler and Brian Kern (the new intern). In the meantime, Danielle Conklin will stay as a member and Catherine Gardiner will become a regular member instead of an intern. Kathy Wodrich Schmidt will be the incoming chair.

Ho also gave an update on the CCS Executive meeting that took place at the conference. All four interest group petitions for renewal were approved by the CCS Executive via online voting prior to Annual: CCS Norms, Cataloging Management, Cartographic Resources, and Cataloging & Classification Research. In addition, the charge review of the Continuing Education Training Committee was approved during the Sunday meeting of CCS Executive Committee with some changes to the wording of the charge that had been proposed by the Continuing Education Training Committee. In addition, the CCS Executive Committee also approved Ho’s proposal to shorten the timeframe of interest group petitions for renewal so that they would take place at Midwinter rather than at Annual.

The group reviewed the schedule and liaison assignments for future CCS committee charge reviews and interest group renewals. Changes to liaison assignments were made to accommodate changes to the committee’s roster. In addition, the group reviewed revised drafts of a procedural document for conducting charge reviews and interest group renewals, and a job description of the CCS Policy and Planning Committee chair. Further revisions to the document were suggested. Ho said she would like the procedures to be made public on the group’s ALA Connect page and that she would forward the final draft after the conference. As for the description of the Policy & Planning chair, Shelby Harken, the outgoing CCS chair, had said it should go on the ALCTS CCS web site, rather than the CCS Policy and Planning Committee’s ALA Connect site. According to Harken, there is supposed to be a place for job descriptions for elected and appointed officers on the ALCTS CCS web site, although ALCTS has been slow to set it up. She had said that the group should contact Christine McConnell (formerly Christine Taylor) to put it there after the conference.

The group looked at the draft of the new ALCTS schedule for committee and interest group meetings. The committee did not have any problems with the schedule. Finally, they looked at the draft of the new ALCTS strategic plan that was scheduled to be voted on at the Board meeting to be held that same afternoon. There was some discussion and brainstorming about ALA Connect, virtual meetings, and reaching out to new members.

Recruitment & Mentoring Committee

We made final tweaks to the mentoring program survey instrument and generated a list of places to send out announcements about the mentoring program. The program will begin in either August or September.

Subject Analysis Committee (SAC)

Since the 2011 ALA Midwinter Meeting in San Diego, the Subject Analysis Committee has continued to be active, primarily on the CCS-SAC mailing list. While SAC has not been inundated with activity during this period, several pieces of business were addressed immediately after the Midwinter meeting. These included:

  • reviewing the Midwinter meeting minutes;
  • sharing answers to questions raised at Midwinter;
  • discussions of the possible name change for CCS; and
  • general information sharing.

Various subcommittees, task forces, and working groups also continued to work on various projects. Notable SAC activities are addressed below.

SAC Subcommittee on RDA

At ALA Midwinter in San Diego, it was determined that the Joint Steering Committee for Development of RDA (JSC) was moving forward with the subject-related chapters of RDA. It was expected that the JSC would begin preliminary work on this area after ALA Annual Conference in New Orleans. In order to be prepared for the upcoming efforts, the chairs of SAC and CC:DA met with the ALA Representative to the JSC to discuss the development of a process for ALA responses to subject-related proposals and papers. As these chapters will be addressing subject analysis issues, the responses are not under the purview of CC:DA, yet SAC has no experience in working within the structured JSC framework and is not formally charged to respond to the JSC. The chairs of SAC and CC:DA and the ALA JSC representative proposed to the CCS Executive Board to appoint a SAC Liaison to CC:DA. SAC would be the decision-making body for formulating the ALA responses, and the decisions would be communicated to CC:DA at CC:DA meetings. The SAC liaison, who would be a voting member of SAC and a non-voting liaison on CC:DA, would: 1) work closely with the ALA representative to the JSC on subject-related issues, and 2) chair a standing SAC subcommittee established to respond to the subject-related JSC proposals and papers. The subcommittee would investigate these issues and formulate a response, which would be presented to SAC for approval. The chairs of SAC and CC:DA and ALA JSC representative would like to see more collaboration between the two committees in the future as many of the issues in RDA may start to blend both descriptive and subject aspects, and a discussion/reporting structure has already been established under CC:DA. ALCTS CCS Exec approved this proposal on Sunday, January 9, 2011. On Monday, January 10, 2011, SAC formally approved the creation of the SAC Subcommittee on RDA.

After ALA Midwinter Meeting 2011, the SAC chair began recruitment efforts to find someone to take on this liaison role and to recruit members of the subcommittee. Robert L. Maxwell was appointed as chair of the subcommittee and as SAC Liaison to CC:DA. The following were recruited as members of the subcommittee: Lois Chan, Sherman Clarke, Michael Colby, Bonnie Dede, Shelby Harken, John Hostage, Tony Olson, and Paul Weiss. John Attig, ALA Representative to JSC, has been added as an ex-officio member.

The subcommittee’s first task will be to respond to the LC discussion paper on subject-related chapters in RDA. This will begin after ALA Annual on the newly created email discussion list for the subcommittee.

LCGFT Preconference at ALA Annual 2011. From 8:30 am to 4:00 pm, on Friday, June 24, 2011, the SAC-chaired preconference, “What IS it, anyway? Library of Congress Genre/Form Terms for Library and Archival Materials” was held. This preconference introduced participants to Library of Congress Genre/Form Terms for Library and Archival Materials (LCGFT). It focused on the correct application of LC genre/form terms to works, with an emphasis on the differences between genre/form terms and subject headings. Participants were also be briefed on the principles underlying the genre/form projects being undertaken by LC’s Policy and Standards Division, and plans for further development of the thesaurus. Participants also learned about the experience of developing a specialized law genre/form thesaurus as well as insights into the on-going development of a genre/form thesaurus within the music community. The speakers for the preconference were Janis Young of the Library of Congress, Yael Mandelstam of Fordham University Law Library, and Beth Iseminger of Harvard College Library. Twenty-four participants attended.

SAC/LC Free-floating Subdivision Review. After ALA Midwinter, SAC suspended work on Phase Three of this on-going project until after the SAC Subcommittee on Genre/Form Implementation completed its recommendations on the 185/155 review project in order to not duplicate efforts regarding free-floating subdivisions. The working group will resume its examination of topical free-floating subdivisions in SHM memo H1095 after the 2011 Annual Conference.

FAST Subcommittee and the SAC Faceting Task Force Disband. Both the SAC Subcommittee on FAST (Faceted Application of Subject Terminology) and the SAC Faceting Task Force have been disbanded. Members of each have been encourage to participate in the recently developed CCS Faceted Subject Access Interest Group, which developed out of the work of the SAC Subcommittee on FAST. The members of each were thanked for their service.

Activities at ALA Annual 2011, New Orleans. The meetings held June 26-27, 2011 contained reports from the following subcommittees, representatives, and liaisons:

  • American Association of Law Libraries
  • Art Libraries Society of North America
  • Dewey Decimal Classification
  • Dewey Decimal Classification Editorial Policy Committee
  • Dewey Section
  • IFLA
  • LC 's Policy and Standards Division
  • MARBI
  • Music Library Association
  • OCLC Fast Project
  • OLAC/CAPC Moving Image LC Genre/Form Heading Best Practices Task Force
  • SAC Faceting Task Force
  • SAC Research and Presentations Working Group
  • SAC Subcommittee on FAST
  • SAC Subcommittee on Genre/Form Implementation
  • SACO at Large
  • Sears List of Subject Headings

As part of the SAC Monday Presentation Series, Joan Mitchell, Editor-in-Chief of the Dewey Decimal Classification (DDC) system at OCLC, gave a presentation on the newly published DDC Edition 23.

SAC and CC:DA Joint Meeting. A special, joint meeting with CC:DA (Monday, June 27, 2011from 10:30 am to noon) was held to discuss the place of subject in the FRBR family of standards and how the Joint Steering Committee for Development of RDA will begin to address the need for subject entities and relationships in RDA. SAC looks forward to a closer working relationship with CC:DA, and greatly appreciates the efforts of Lori Robare, Chair of CC:DA, for all the work she has done to forge greater cooperation among the groups. At the meeting, there was a presentation by Gordon Dunsire, co-sponsored by ALA, Cataloging & Classification Quarterly, and MARCIVE, Inc., to address "Treatment of subject in each model, reconciliation in the Registry, and considerations for future consolidation of the FR models." There was also a discussion of the "LC Discussion paper on Group 3 entity chapters in RDA."

Changes in SAC Membership. The following members of SAC have completed their service:

  • Christopher Cronin
  • Daniel Joudrey, Chair
  • Mary Catherine Little
  • Jimmie Lundgren

The following are new members of SAC:

  • Christopher Case, Intern
  • Judy Jeng, Chair
  • Steven A. Knowlton
  • Robert L. Maxwell, SAC Liaison to CC:DA
  • Tachtorn Meier
  • Alex Thurman

Strategic Plan Updates. Goal Area 2. ALCTS defines best practices and develops and promotes national and international standards

  • SAC continues to support the FAST project.
  • SAC continues to support LCSH and LCC.
  • SAC continues to support DDC.
  • SAC Subcommittee on RDA will begin work on the subject-related portions of RDA, working with the ALA Representative to the Joint Steering Committee for the Development of RDA and CC:DA immediately after ALA Annual.
  • SAC sponsored a preconference at ALA Annual 2011 on the application and development of Library of Congress Genre/Form Terms for Library and Archival Materials (LCGFT).

Goal Area 4. ALCTS collaborates with organizations with similar or complementary interests

SAC and LC’s Policy & Standards Division have been engaged in an evaluation of the free-floating subject subdivisions of LCSH.

Collection Management Section

Administration of Collection Development Committee

This meeting was very short. Our upcoming program, scheduled for Sunday, June 26 from 1:30 to 3:30 p.m. was promoted. We then circulated a petition to become an interest group. We solicited signatures from committee members and members of other committees. We received over the ten signatures required to become an interest group. The committee will be dissolved.

Collection Assessment Committee

The Collection Assessment Committee did not meet during the New Orleans conference. The Committee’s charge ended as of June 30, 2011. It is replaced by the CMS Collection Assessment Interest Group. As of July 5, 2011, Reeta Sinha agreed to serve as the IG Chair.

Collection Assessment Committee members Hilary Wagner and Joshua Barton compiled a Collection Assessment Resources bibliography. The document is now posted on the ALCTS site under “Collection Topics.”

Committee members Joshua Barton, Hilary Wagner, and Andrea Stamm joined the new CMS Transition Advisory Committee. Joshua Barton will serve as the chair.

Collection Development and Electronic Resources Committee

Brian asked for a volunteer to serve as chair of the interest group that the committee will transition to after Annual Conference. Raik Zaghloul volunteered to serve as chair.

The committee discussed possible ideas for a program for the Midwinter Meeting or Annual Conference next year. Three ideas were suggested: Alternatives to the Big Deal, which would focus on pay per view models of accessing articles; How Digital Collections Are Influencing Collection Development (HathiTrust and Google Books); Do We Need to Break the Mold? Abandoning Physical Collection Policies in a Digital Era (interlibrary loan and e-books).

Members present decided that the first idea, Alternatives to the Big Deal, seems to be the most concrete and realizable. Cory knows someone who knows a contact at Deep Dive. There may be a possibility of getting someone from Elsevier, or possibly Trinity University in San Antonio. Through the Statewide California Electronic Library Consortium (SCELC), Cal State has been experimenting with buying downloads in advance that are discounted in quantity. The journal Nature has also been experimenting with the pay-per-view model. It might be possible to put together a panel of four people (e.g. two publishers and two institutions that have implemented).

A fourth idea was suggested: Life After Google Books, featuring Siva Vaidhyanathan. Raik volunteered to check whether Siva would considered appearing for free, as he normally commands a fee for speaking engagements.

The committee also discussed the feasibility of putting together a program on pay-per-view, given that there is only one continuing committee member. The committee agreed to look into the idea and if it seems like it might be possible to put together a program in time for Midwinter Meeting, then we may go forward with it. If not, then it could be a possibility for Annual Conference when the new interest group is in place and we have additional people to volunteer to work on programming.

Ginger explained that the interest group chair will get an e-mail from ALA about reserving a room, and that it is the responsibility of the chair to specify the seating configuration of the room on the form.

Cory volunteered to e-mail the names of some possible presenters to the committee.

The committee also discussed venues such as discussion lists and ALA Connect for promoting the new interest group in an effort to recruit participants.

Continuing Education Committee

Having completed a major project between meetings (Fundamentals of Collection Development and Management (FCDM) bibliography updates), the committee discussed plans for future activities including:

  • possible collaborative opportunities for a program on collection assessment basics and/or collection analysis tools
  • improving committee communication and collaboration via social media (such as project management by wiki and use of GoogleDocs for projects
  • developing a survey to gauge what types of professional development CD opportunities are needed

Executive Committee

CMS Executive Committee approved a petition for a new interest group, Administration of Collection Development. This group is being formed to replace a committee dissolving following Annual 2011 as part of the section’s reorganization. Incoming Chair Harriet Lightman has formed a Transition Advisory Committee that will be working with the section’s three new interest groups, the section Planning Committee, and the ALCTS IG Coordinator. Following this meeting, the section’s name officially changes from Collection Management and Development Section (CMDS), to Collection Management Section (CMS).

Planning Committee

We continued to discuss evaluation of section interest groups. Possible criteria:

  • Does the IG meet? Face-to-face or virtual? Midwinter Meeting, Annual Conference, or both?
  • What is the attendance?
  • How do you plan?
  • How is the IG working?
  • Is the IG worthwhile?

Similarly, we will need to evaluate the remaining committees following the transition to the new structure.

New ALCTS strategic plan has implications for our committee and section goals.

Part of our charge suggests that we consider issues and trends in collection management. The committee came up with these topics:

  • E-books
  • E-books and patron-driven acquisitions
  • Space issues, storage, and weeding
  • What to do with retrospective collections?
  • Staffing for collection management in the virtual environment
  • What is the skill set needed today?
  • What should selectors and coordinators do?
  • Quality control when you lease
  • Economics: budget cuts and rising costs push us to cooperate more
  • Cooperative collection development
  • Consortial purchasing
  • Assessment
  • Big and small deals for periodicals
  • Local digital libraries
  • Institutional repositories and privacy concerns
  • Data sets and notes of researchers in repositories
  • Integration of repositories

Publications Committee

Dew welcomed the group and reviewed the membership list. Two members are ending their terms: Charlie Potter and Jim Dooley (who has been elected Vice-Chair/Chair Elect of the Acquisitions Section). There are three new members: Angela Dresselhaus (virtual), Jesse Nachem (virtual), and Emily Prather-Rodgers (who visited with the committee briefly). Dew will again serve as chair next year. The committee approved the minutes from Midwinter Meeting 2011.

Emerging Research in Collection Management & Development Forum. The committee discussed the details for the second annual Emerging Research in Collection Management and Development Forum, which was scheduled for that afternoon, Sunday, June 26, from 4 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. The two presentations are as follows:

  • “Assessment of a Fully Integrated Patron Driven Access (PDA) Model to Provide English Language Books at the University of Arizona,” Douglas Jones, University of Arizona
  • “Breaking Out of the Silo: Public Library Use of Free Online Resources,” Heather Hill, University of Western Ontario, and Jenny Bossaller, University of Missouri

Michael Levine-Clark will serve as master-of-ceremonies for the forum, providing the welcoming remarks and introducing the speakers. Dew and Lener will distribute and collect evaluation forms.

Peggy Johnson, LRTS Editor, has asked that the committee encourage our forum presenters to turn their presentations and research into manuscripts that can be submitted to LRTS, and Dew has contacted this year’s speakers with this encouragement.

The third annual Emerging Research in Collection Management & Development Forum will be held at 2012 Annual Conference in Anaheim. Dew suggested that the committee begin sending out the call for proposals in late August. He distributed a draft copy of the announcement, and after a few revisions the committee agreed to the statement and a November 4 due date for the proposals. The committee will review the proposals and make decisions by December 2. The call will be placed to the appropriate electronic discussion lists, and the committee will investigate other venues as well.

Collection Connection: The Collection Management & Development Blog. (http://www.collectionconnection.alcts.ala.org/)
Steven Harris, Blogmaster, reported on the development, progress, and plans for the blog. The blog was launched on March 22, and Steven has been able to post about once each week. Steven is the only person who has posted so far, but he has communicated with a number of other individuals, whom he will be working with to post more material. Entries should address some issue related to library collections, the blog should be in a personal voice, and the narrative should have some passion or reflect a strong interest in the subject. Steven and the committee will work on developing guidelines. The committee commended Steven for the quality and variety of his posts. Usage stats and inquiries reflect that the blog is being read; however, the committee will work on developing marketing strategies to expand the readership.

Sudden Selector Update. Editor Helene Williams was unable to attend Annual Conference, so Dew distributed copies of a spreadsheet updating the situation with Sudden Selector manuscripts and proposals, and he reported for Williams, providing a brief report on each item.

  • The manuscripts for the biology and chemistry guides are in production.
  • The geography manuscript has completed its review by the editor, a committee member (Jim Dooley), and an outside reviewer, and after a few edits, it should be ready for final review by the committee later this summer.
  • The physics manuscript has completed its review by the editor and a committee member (Ed Lener), and it is now under review by an outside reader.
  • The manuscript for children’s literature has completed its review by the editor and a committee member (Jennifer Laherty), and it will next be sent to an outside reviewer.
  • The English manuscript is due in September, and Jack Hall will serve as the committee reviewer.
  • Five proposals that have been approved and are in early writing stages include art, anthropology, romance languages, government publications, and political science.
  • Dew reported for Williams that she has a potential author for a music guide and a South Asia studies guide, and she asked that the committee brainstorm on potential subjects for other guides. The committee discussed the matter and suggested such subjects as Latin America, performing arts, sociology, history, Germanic languages, leadership, and terrorism.

Guide for Written Collection Policy Statements. Last year, just before Midwinter Meeting, Stephen Alleman from Reference and User Services Association: Collection Development and Evaluation Section (RUSA CODES) contacted Dew and Cynthia Shirkey about the possibility of working with RUSA CODES to update the guide as a web resource. The guide was originally prepared by the Administration in Collection Development Committee. Cynthia, chair of that committee, declined his offer, and with her committee being discontinued this year, that is understandable. Dew took the issue to the Publications Committee meeting at Midwinter Meeting, and the committee agreed to investigate more. After further discussions with Stephen, it became clear that if we wanted to do this as a cooperative work between our committees, we would have to take the proposal and final work through two different review processes -- one for RUSA and one for ALCTS. So, since it was RUSA CODES who expressed first interest, we agreed that they would take the initiative in submitting a proposal, and that if the proposal goes forward, one or two members of the CMS Publications committee might be invited to work with them on the revision (Lener and Dew volunteered). It is hoped that this arrangement will prevent the need to go through two separate proposal and review processes, and it might allow CMS to endorse (or maybe co-sponsor) the final product. Dew will notify the CMS Executive Committee and check with the ALTCS office about copyright.   

Continuing Resources Section

Acquisitions Committee

The committee discussed programming ideas for next year’s Annual Conference in Anaheim.

It was decided that the presentation topic would be on leaving the “Big Deal” with the working title: “Ending the Big Deal: Truth and Consequences.” The focus of the program will be on actual librarian experiences with ending large publisher packages.

In addition the committee agreed to have two members host an ALCTS e-forum on the same topic in the fall of 2011 to generate more interest.

Continuing Resources Cataloging Committee

During our business meeting we discussed potential topics for our Update Forum at Midwinter. Potential ideas included PIE-J updates, KBART revisions, or a panel consisting of catalogers currently using RDA for their work.

Pertaining to Annual Conference, we discussed the idea of having a program at Anaheim, particularly a virtual series of webinars. No topic was settled on for this as of yet.

We discussed virtual participation on our committee. We lamented that our current meeting setup doesn’t encourage the use of speakerphones due to multiple committees meeting in the same room. Paul Moeller did say that we could meet virtually prior to Midwinter Meeting instead of the Saturday morning meeting.

Discussed the idea of broadcasting and/or videorecording our popular Update Forums so those who are unable to attend would be able to participate. The chair will look into this, possibly for Midwinter Meeting in Dallas.

Education, Research, and Publications Committee

The highlights of the CRS Education, Research and Publications Committee’s annual meeting consist of the formal announcement of Sally Gibson’s resignation from the group. The Guide to Managing Microforms is still outstanding, although the authors are in talks with the committee regarding its eventual submission. The Syllabus for Serials Collection Management, Records Systems, and Preservation has been withdrawn in favor of the Syllabus for Serials Preservation and Archiving and the Syllabus for Managing Print and Electronic Serials. The Serials Standards Forum (abstracts, 2004) will also be withdrawn, and the committee will follow up with the Serials Standards Forum to learn whether they are archiving their materials elsewhere or should the 2004 publication be repeated with more current information. The committee has established a review policy for existing publications with the Syllabus for Serials Cataloging and the Syllabus for Serials Collection Management and Acquisitions being the first publications up for review. In anticipation of future endeavors on the part of the committee Mavis Molto attended the ALCTS Webinar Open House.

Executive Committee

CRS activities proceed as expected in 2010/2011. The CRS Nominating Committee did a fine job of filling the election slate. Sion Romaine (Member-at-Large, 2011-2014) and Jacquie Samples (Chair-Elect, 2011-2012) were the winners of the election. The Ulrich’s Serials Librarianship award jury selected Peter McCracken for its award. The First Step award jury did not receive any nominations for the award that matched the specified criteria of the grant. Unfortunately, no First Step Award winner was named this year.

Other committees have been active as well. Some highlights follow.

  • The three CRS Interest groups were very productive. The College and Research Libraries IG, the Access to Continuing Resources IG, and the Electronic Resources IG each put together panel discussions/programs for Midwinter and Annual.
  • Well-received forums were offered at Midwinter and Annual by the Continuing Resources Cataloging Committee, the Committee on Holdings Information, and CRS Standards.
  • The Continuing Resources Cataloging Committee also coordinated an Informal RDA Testing Task Force. Thirty-four testers were recruited and a summary of the findings was the topic of discussion of the CRCC Forum at Midwinter. Results of the CRCC Informal RDA Testing Task Force have been posted at: http://connect.ala.org/node/127186

The CRS Executive Committee contributed to the discussions concerning the future of ALCTS. Conference Scheduling, ALCTS Planning, and Re-Shaping ALCTS' Future were featured topics for 2010/2011.

Holdings Information Committee

Committee Membership Change
Julie Su and Cathy Weng are rotating out of the committee. Bonnie Parks is also rotating out of the CRS Executive Board. Heather has been appointed chair of the Committee for next year. Myrtle will continue to be the virtual member. A new member will be joining the committee in July.

CONSER Update
Les Hawkins gave a brief report on RDA vs. CONSER (Cooperative Online Serials) standard record discussions during CONSER Operation Meeting in May. Thirteen differences were identified, whereas consensus was reached for ten of them.

Three remaining issues require further discussions. It is anticipated that CONSER can move into RDA without too much difficulty. CONSER and PCC decide to maintain their current practice of provider-neutral records for e-journals and e-monographs, whereas RDA asks separate records be provided for each reproduction.

ALCTS New Midwinter Meeting and Annual Conference Schedules
The committee does not foresee any impact of schedule change on the Holdings Committee. Once the new schedule is implemented, meeting schedules will be assigned by the ALCTS office and individual committees will no longer submit schedule requests.

ALCTS Strategic Plan 2011 Draft
Issue of virtual participation and presentation was brought up. It seems that virtual conference has been implemented in this conference. However, it is not clear if it is possible to implement virtual presentations.

Equipment and facility issues need to be addressed and resolved before presentations can go virtual.
Heather pointed out that virtual participation potentially should be made available for on-site conference attendees as well. Committee members agreed to continue to bring up the issue in the hope of resolving soon.

2012 Midwinter Forum Planning
Ideas for topics for the 2012 Midwinter Meeting holdings forum include:

  • OCLC electronic holdings knowledge base – deep holdings
  • DIVA (Digital Information Virtual Archives)
  • PIE-J (Presentation and Identification of E-Journals)
  • XC (Extensible Catalog) – how holdings information is handled in this next-generation catalog Report of Holdings Forum (2011 ALA Annual)
  • Achievement towards ALCTS strategic plan Goal 2 and Goal 3:
  • Committee Holdings Forum held at ALA Annual had fifty attendees.
  • Forum facilitates continuing education (Goal #3), and promotes national and international standards and best practices (Goal #2)

The committee’s Holdings Forum was held on June 25, 2011 from 4:00 to 5:30 p.m. The forum topic was “Universal and repurposed holdings information -- Emerging initiatives and projects.”

Panelists:

  • Universal Journal Issue Database and UlrichsWeb
    David Lawrence (Editor, SafetyLit database, paper presented by Julie Su) Yvette Diven (SerialsSolutions)
  • Piloting an E-journals Preservation Registry Service (PEPRS)
    Peter Burnhill (EDINA, University of Edinburgh, UK, presented on his behalf by Regina Reynolds [ISSN Network & Library of Congress])
  • OCLC Print Archives Metadata Standard and CRL Print Archives Preservation Registry (PAPR)
    Lizanne Payne

Standards Committee

For various reasons we had to reschedule our committee meeting from Saturday morning to Sunday at 12pm, right after our Update Forum. Some members had a brief meeting on Saturday morning, and the key points of their discussion were relayed by a member.

The program of Update Forum was held on Sunday from 10:30 a.m. to 12pm at New Orleans Marriott-Studio 7. It featured Judy Luther of Informed Strategies, co-chair of the NISO Shared Electronic Resource Understanding (SERU) Working Group, who spoke about SERU and its progress, and Steven Shadle, Serials Access Librarian at the University of Washington Libraries and a member of the Presentation and Identification of E-Journals (PIE-J) Working Group, who provided an update on the group. The moderator facilitated a panel discussion with two speakers on how the standards process works. This session was generously sponsored by Swets. Our committee members were very pleased with the lively discussion during Q&A session. The results of approximately twenty evaluation forms were tallied by one of program organizers.

The brainstormed topics for the next update forum include standards process, standards not cataloging-based for the whole range of ALCTS, CRS standards focused, RDA for non-MARC testers (not overlapping with other RDA programs), Knowledge Bases and Related Tools (KBART), Publisher and Institutional Repository Usage Statistics (PIRUS) and ISO-8. Since one of our members is from Dallas, she’ll look for a local resource person for us at Midwinter Meeting. A member suggested looking at the NISO web site for any new standards under review or discussion. Another idea to explore is to seek the opportunity of collaboration with the Holdings Committee for the program at Midwinter; therefore, the chair of this committee will communicate with the chair of Holdings Committee and see if any common interest for potential collaboration for our Midwinter Meeting program.

We also had a brief discussion on RDA revision in the next 18 months, and wonder if our committee would be included in the loop of RDA inputs for both MARC and non-MARC. We thought this is a legitimate question for our committee to ask, and/or we may collaborate with Continuing Resources Cataloging Committee for a joint program at the next Annual Conference.

Regarding the ALCTS Strategic plans, some of our members thought that virtual meetings are good options, especially for standards. The structure of our committee meeting, however, is not conducive for virtual meetings, as it would be too noisy to connect with virtual members via cell phone, and the room setup is hostile.

First Step Award Jury

The CRS First Step Award Jury met asynchronously via e-mail from September 1, 2010, to December 12, 2010. It was determined that no award would be made in 2011.

Ulrich’s Serials Librarianship Award Jury

After considered discussion, the Ulrich’s Award Jury selected Peter McCracken as the 2011 recipient of the Ulrich’s Serials Librarianship Award.

Peter McCracken has made extraordinarily distinguished contributions to the field of serials librarianship, the serials information chain and serials standards through his expertise in serials content management and the creation of a variety of library community transforming services. His innumerable presentations at meetings and conferences, exceptional levels of participation in the setting of industry standards, his published works in the serials literature, work on conference planning committees, and his consistent support and active involvement in professional organizations world-wide sets him apart as a leader and critical thinker in our discipline.

Peter’s impact on reshaping the library industry has been both transformative and visionary. His past work as director, electronic content management, and co-founder, Serials Solutions, Inc., Seattle, Washington, led to the successful development of a knowledge base platform that enabled libraries to effectively manage their ever growing electronic journal collections. Peter (and his brothers) quickly understood the need for improving collection management in all content formats and that it was often more cost effective to outsource the management of titles within e-journal packages; and that cloud software and data is almost always a better platform for library services than installing and maintaining software locally. Peter’s original A-Z list proved to be so useful that it would serve as the engine for a range of other products (link resolvers, Electronic Resource Access & Management Systems [ERAMS]-including valuable title overlap analysis reports, MARC record services), and even the most recently developed single unified index web scale discovery service, Summon, is premised on the same knowledgebase.

Peter’s work as a former reference librarian at the University of Washington assisted in his understanding that the success of the deceptively simple production of an A-Z list hinged primarily on consistently ensuring the integrity of data and its related links. The result was revolutionary. Peter’s hands on involvement in developing tools made him a valuable advocate and contributor to SUSHI (Standardized Usage Statistics Harvesting Initiative), the Open URL standard which enables linking between tools and resources on the Web, and the NISO/ALPSP Journal Article Versions working group which examined problems associated with the proliferation of different versions of journal articles, resulting in the development of a recommendations document that can be found at http://www.niso.org/publications/rp/RP-8-2008.pdf.

In 2006, under Peter’s leadership, Serials Solutions became an active affiliate member of CONSER’s international activities, including his active participation in the Access Level working group that was formed to develop a single CONSER standard record that would apply to all formats of serials and reduce cataloging costs. Their document may be found at http://www.loc.gov/acq/conser/alrFinalReport.html.

Peter’s passion for OpenURL and accurate knowledge bases led him to collaborate with the United Kingdom Serials Group as co-chair of the joint NISO/UKSG KBART (Knowledge Bases and Related Tools) working group that developed recommended practices for standardizing the transfer of data within and among information supply chain participants. Their document may be found at http://www.niso.org/publications/rp/PR-2010-09.pdf.

All of Peter’s letters of recommendation referred to him personally, to his work and contributions in superlatives that underscored his vision, ideas, cooperative nature and exceptional work ethic as well as his extraordinary skill at problem solving. Each noted his passion for excellence and how serial librarians, libraries in general, and their users have benefited from the creation of his sorely needed services. Evidence and testimony to Peter’s commitment to the serials profession has been profound. He is looked upon as a true pioneer who gave birth to an industry that was truly needed. His contributions to the development of tools and methods, demonstrated leadership, scholarship, development and implementation of standards, including current endeavors has greatly enriched the intellectual life of the profession and immeasurably improved access and understanding of the digital serials environment for librarians and end users.   

Preservation and Reformatting Section

Executive Committee

The Executive Committee met twice during Annual Conference. Committee business included: the new ALCTS strategic plan and possible reorganization implications, primarily the impact on scheduling with meetings once per year; continuing education offerings (such as webinars) and publications and their importance for revenues; the Fiels report on transforming collections; the approved Jan Merrill-Oldham travel award for new conference attendees; plans for continuing the success of Preservation Week; rosy PARS membership news, and PARS committee reports. See our committee page in ALA Connect for more detailed minutes.

PARS Forum. The PARS Forum took place on Sunday, June 26 at 4 p.m. Daniel M. Burge of the Image Permanence Institute discussed recent research into issues related to the preservation digital prints, including identification, mechanisms of deterioration, and recommendations for storage and handling. Discussion revolved around use of clear plastic enclosures, what types were recommended, and there were any problems noted with electrostatic lifting of pigments. Tests similar to the NARA Peel Test for electrophotographic equipment were noted by participants to be useful in purchasing and maintaining quality equipment.

PARS New Members Working Group

The New Member Working Group conversed via e-mail prior to the Annual Conference. In preparation for Annual Conference, and at the Working Groups request, Christine McConnell sent a list of e-mail addresses of new members to PARS. The committee sent out a welcoming email to all (approximately 200) along with an electronic copy of our PARS Quick Guide and a roster of all PARS committee members and interest group chairs.

We met at the Preservation Administrators IG (PAIG) and convened a New Members welcoming table. We distributed copies of the Quick Guide and the roster as well as a compiled list of ALCTS and NMRT activities that were scheduled for the Annual Conference. We spoke with six members and distributed the literature to them.

In our work at Annual Conference and in preparation for it, we focused on goals four and five of the strategic plan: to establish and strengthen interaction and collaboration with other units within ALA, maintain and disseminate information about the Association, and to retain and recruit members.

Program, Planning & Publications Committee (PPP)

Upcoming Webinar. A session presented by Peter Verheyen entitled “Book Repair Basics for Libraries” on September 14. A video of the webinar will be made available later.

Upcoming Publication. The Preservation Education Directory Task Force will distribute the draft document to members of PPP for final review in July before sending it to the PARS Executive Committee and ALCTS Publications for approval.

Review of 2011Annual Programs:

1. “Preservation Film Festival.” The festival included films about print, film, and digital preservation. All of the content is available online. About 40 people attended and the audience was diverse. The filmography will be posted on ALA Connect.

Suggestions: put out a call for new entries for Annual 2013 through a preservation video competition; a Preservation video channel on YouTube was also suggested.

2. “Planning for the Worst: Disaster Preparedness and Response in High-Density Storage Facilities.” A number of conference attendees expressed interest in the content.

Suggestion: an in-depth program on emergency planning for high-density storage facilities might make a good webinar series, preconference, or virtual preconference.

3. “Have Metadata, Can Collaborate: Putting the MARC21 583 Field to Use in Cooperative Preservation Efforts.” The topic was well received. Suggestion: Expansion on this topic would make a good webinar.

4. Promoting Preservation Interest Group - "Response, Recovery and Reality: Disaster Preparedness for the Long Term.” This program featured presenters from Louisiana State and Tulane universities.

Suggestions: a short publication as a follow-up, which could include disaster case studies that focus on long-term recovery; a program expanding on the topic of large scale disasters, long term recoveries, and working with FEMA (Federal Emergency Management Agency).

Additional suggestions for future programs:

  1. Loan agreements/security for special collections. It was agreed that this would be an appropriate topic for a PARS Forum and could involve a partnership with Rare Books and Manuscripts Section (RBMS), proposed for Annual 2013.
  2. Invite the editors and/or contributors to the upcoming ALA publication, “The Planning and Construction of Book and Paper Conservation Laboratories: A Guidebook,” (edited by Jennifer Hain Teper and Eric Alstrom) to speak about the topic.
  3. Suggested webinar: Image Permanence Institute’s Daniel Burge presenting on identification and preservation of digital prints.
  4. Suggestion for e-forms: it was suggested to try coordinating e-forum topics to lead up to webinars or other type of programming.
  5. Suggested Web Course: Fundamentals of Digital Preservation

Action items forwarded to the PARS Executive Committee:

  1. After committee review, the Preservation Education Directory Task Force will submit their document to PARS Executive Committee for review and online publication.
  2. Program proposals to be submitted for ALA Annual 2012: (1)“Preservation in the Age of HathiTrust and Shared Print Storage Initiatives” and (2) “Brittle Book Strategies for the 21st Century: Retention of Originals After Digitization”; these two programs support the theme “Transforming Collections” declared for 2012.

Preservation Week Working Group (PWWG)

The PWWG met at the all-committee meeting Monday, June 27 to review the past two years and start charting the steps forward for year three and more events. Changes to the web site were discussed, as well as possible partners for promoting the events. There is a need to start the work to raise awareness in the fall so that public libraries can schedule events. E-forum repeat in the fall was suggested and approved to move forward. Additional webinars were suggested and updating of the web site was agreed upon. There is considerable changeover in the Working Group, so a transfer of information is also necessary. The Emerging Leaders program which worked with the PWWG was also reviewed.