Committees Report on Conference Activities in San Diego

The reports below are summaries of the activities that took place during meetings of ALCTS committees held during the 2011 ALA Annual Midwinter Meeting in San Diego, California. Included are groups whose reports were received by the editor as of February 15, 2011. For information on discussion groups not shown here, see the ALCTS Organization page on the ALCTS web site.

Division | Acquisitions Section | Cataloging and Classification Section | Collection Management and Development Section | Continuing Resources Section | Preservation and Reformatting Section | Council of Regional Groups   

Division Committees

Continuing Education

Throughout fall 2010, the CE Committee sponsored four e-forums with the discussion on RDA generating great interest and leading to a successful series of webinars on the same topic. The e-forum discussion list now has more than 2,200 subscribers. For spring 2011, the schedule of one e-forum a month will continue. Find information on upcoming e-forums and obtaining details on how to subscribe online.

Twelve webinars were presented between August and December 2010, including five sessions devoted to RDA. Fifteen webinars have been scheduled for the first half of 2011, including two complimentary sessions in conjunction with Preservation Week, April 24-30. Find details about webinars online.

The committee is now accepting proposals and scheduling webinars for late summer-fall 2011. To submit a proposal please complete the form. All webinars are recorded and are accessible (some for a fee) from the ALCTS web site.

The fundamentals courses continue to be well received. It is anticipated that the Fundamentals of Cataloging course will be offered for the first time in late spring 2011. Fundamentals of Collection Assessment has been approved and could be offered for the first time in summer 2011. A course on XSLT is highly desired and contact with the course developer will be re-initiated.

In FY 2010, gross revenue from all forms of continuing education was $96,692.

On Sunday, January 9, 2011 noon to 2pm, the Committee hosted a “Webinar Open House (Playground)” during the 2011 ALA Midwinter Meeting in San Diego. Approximately fifty people dropped in to watch a brief presentation about webinars and experiment with the various aspects of presenting and hosting a webinar. A recording of the presentation may be found online. The committee plans to sponsor a similar event at the 2011 ALA Annual Conference in June.

Fundraising

The committee reviewed the latest list of ALCTS programs (including online courses and preconferences) and suggested possible sponsors. Committee members volunteered to serve as liaisons to various programs and make the necessary sponsor contacts.

ALCTS President Cynthia Whitacre and Vice-President Betsy Simpson met briefly with the committee. Simpson informed the committee that Linda Smith Griffin (LSU) will be her president’s program planning chair for 2012, and that ALCTS and ACRL will have a joint presidents program at the 2012 ALA Annual Conference in Anaheim.

Susan Davis will send some sample solicitation messages to the committee list. Davis learned that there should be no concerns of overlap with potential sponsors for programs related to preservation and the upcoming Preservation Week events.

There were no action items for the ALCTS Board.

International Relations

ALCTS Grants for International Librarians provide a free seat to a librarian outside the United States for each ALCTS online course. The 2011 courses have been posted, and began on early January 31. The committee agreed that the chair should contact high-ranked runners-up from the fall 2010 applications to award seats for the course sections beginning January 31 and February 7 as there is not enough time to receive and rank applications for these sections. Applications will be accepted for the April-July sections in February.

Fundamentals of Preservation is a new course. The committee decided that the chair should award the February 7 section of this course to an applicant from last fall whose support materials indicate that he would benefit from the course. The committee discussed the process used for evaluating the fall 2010 applications, agreed that the process was fundamentally sound, and suggested some fine-tuning. The chair divided the committee into groups, including virtual members and the committee intern. Each group was assigned a set of applications for each course section and asked to rank the applicants

The committee sent Survey of International ALCTS members to all International ALCTS members last summer. The intent is to mine the results of this survey, to see what further directions it suggests. Several of the answers indicate the need for more publicity about ALCTS International Membership as a membership category. The committee will carefully consider the free-text replies as well as the quantitative answers. Anne Gilliland and Birdie MacLennan volunteered to examine this material and make recommendations before the 2011 ALA Annual Conference.

The committee received updates on IFLA Section activities from Charlene Chou (Bibliography), John Hostage (Cataloguing), and David Miller and Ed O’Neill (Classification and Indexing). Prior to the 2011 ALA Midwinter Meeting, the committee approved the Robert Bothmann’s nomination as a representative to the Cataloguing Section, for the term 2011-2015, as a replacement for the nomination of the late Edward Swanson. Bothmann’s nomination was sent to the ALCTS Board for approval. The committee has now completed ALCTS nominations for the current IFLA nomination cycle.

Cynthia Whitacre (ALCTS President) and Betsy Simpson (ALCTS President-Elect) visited the committee and urged them to consider developing a program for the 2012 ALA Annual Conference or a forum for the 2012 ALA Midwinter Meeting. The committee will discuss this via email prior to the 2011 ALA Annual Conference in New Orleans.

Leadership Development

The committee discussed preparation for the 2011 ALA Annual Conference program, "Leading Technical Services." Ideas for speakers were shared, and between this discussion and a joint discussion with the Membership Committee, several people were identified as potential panelists. Committee member Beth Farwell has recruited three outstanding speakers for the program, and between now and the 2011 ALA Annual Conference, the committee will work on promoting the program.

The committee discussed how to proceed with a project begun by a group of Emerging Leaders last year, in which they recorded and posted a series of videos made by ALCTS leaders and members. Since the committee was unable to recruit another EL group to continue the project, committee members decided to review where the project stands and move it into temporary hiatus while focusing on another big project.

The committee's main task for the next several months will be to develop a webinar for new ALCTS committee chairs. Cynthia Whitacre and Betsy Simpson are both very supportive of this project. The committee will work closely with the Continuing Education Committee, which is very experienced working with the ALCTS GoTo Webinar software.

The final part of the committee's Midwinter meeting was a joint information sharing session with the Membership Committee. Leadership Development and Membership now have official liaisons between the committees, and are striving to improve communication, since so much of their work addresses common concerns and goals.

LRTS Editorial Board

Christine McConnell reported on plans to move to e-LRTS in 2011. The Board discussed finding a new book review editor, proposed ideas for customizing letters to potential advertisers, and endorsed posting preprints of papers accepted for publication. Board members reported on their activities to solicit submissions.

Membership

The Membership Committee approved minutes from its meeting at the 2010 ALA Annual Conference in Washington, D.C. The minutes of that meeting will be posted on the committee’s Connect space.

ALCTS President Cynthia Whitacre and ALCTS President-Elect Betsy Simpson visited the committee and discussed the status of the ALCTS reorganization. The reorganization is now being called a reshaping, according to the two leaders. Incremental changes for the association, to be done over a period of time, have been recommended. The changes to the organization will not be radical, but will be slight and gradual. To date, an Interest Group Coordinator has been appointed. Dale Swensen will serve in this position.

The committee asked about its status in the reshaping and wondered if it would merge with the Leadership Development Committee. Whitacre said that a merger of the two committees is still a possibility, but would not happen immediately.

Early in the meeting, Christine McConnell discussed a messaging project the committee had worked on in spring of 2010. The messages the committee had created have not been used or distributed. McConnell is thinking about how best to use these messages in 2011. The committee revised these messages late in 2010 to include information about the ALCTS New Members Interest Group (ANMIG) in its “welcome to ALCTS” message and to add a personal touch and signature to all of its messages. Virtual committee member Emily Nimsakont took on the task of revising the four messages and will be the committee’s contact person on the messages. After the conference, the revised messages were sent to McConnell and Whitacre, and posted in the committee’s space in ALA Connect.

During the 2011 ALA Midwinter Meeting, a number of committee members staffed a table at the ALCTS Member Reception where they greeted current and potential ALCTS members, and handed out ALCTS giveaways. The ALCTS giveaways and ribbons were a big hit with the reception attendees, according to the committee members who participated in the evening. After a brief discussion, the committee agreed that it would like to participate in this event again at the 2012 ALA Midwinter Meeting in Dallas.

The committee discussed plans for the upcoming ALCTS 101 program that will be held in on Friday, June 24, 2011 in New Orleans. As with last year’s ALCTS 101, it will be a collaborative event planned by the ALCTS New Members Interest Group (ANMIG), the Leadership Development Committee, and the Membership Committee. Members of the committee stated a preference for holding this year’s event in the Convention Center in order to take advantage of traffic from the opening night of the exhibits. The committee offered suggestions for the content of the ALCTS 101 program as well as how to publicize it and what type of giveaways to have at the event. The committee also discussed staffing the ALCTS space in the ALA Pavilion in the exhibits in New Orleans. The committee would like to have a presence there during the opening of the exhibits on the Friday evening of conference. Ideas for hand-outs and giveaways were suggested along with publicity for the event.

At the end of its meeting, the committee met jointly with the members of the Leadership Development Committee for twenty minutes. The purpose of this joint meeting was to determine if there were common areas of interest and/or programming where the two committees could assist each other. The Membership Committee helped the Leadership Development Committee by offering suggestions for speakers for their program in New Orleans. The chair of the Membership Committee followed up after the conference with the names and contact information for these potential speakers. The Leadership Development asked for help in planning and developing electronic content. Membership Committee member Gina Minks agreed to aid them with this project. To increase communication and familiarity with each other, the chairs of the two committees would like to try this joint meeting approach again in New Orleans.

Reports on the ALA Membership Committee and ALA Membership Promotion Task Force meeting will be sent to committee members electronically.

Organization and Bylaws

O & B met and began outlining procedures for improving reviews for interest groups and committees. The procedures will include:

  • Make first contact before the ALA Annual Conference so the Outgoing Chair can be involved to help the new Incoming Chair
  • Work on creating an online form for committee renewals so that members have a clearer idea of what is expected of them
  • Check to see if the form can be filled out online, similar to the ALCTS Volunteer form
  • Provide committees and Interest Groups a timeline for their work

O & B continues to move its documentation to ALA Connect. Minutes from the ALA Annual Conferences are now available, dating back to 2006.

In response to the ALCTS Board request that O & B consider being involved in a regular assessment of ALCTS sections, the committee agreed to start work on a form with standard questions for general self-assessment along with specific informational requests. This reflects the consensus that this should be done carefully and draw on past experience to avoid many of the problems previously encountered with the IG and committee renewals. It was agreed that this could be useful for the sections, and committee members also felt that this could provide a great deal of useful information the Board.

Planning

Liaison assignments were assigned for all division-level Interest Groups to the newly created IG Coordinator, who is currently a member of the Planning Committee. This will be a one-year experiment. Committee members confirmed liaison assignments to division level committees. Members also discussed technology available for tracking the new strategic plan (currently being developed) initiatives. A subgroup will experiment with the options that are currently available in ALA Connect. GoToMeeting was identified as the best option available through ALA for holding a virtual meeting. Planning will hold at least one virtual meeting between Midwinter and Annual.

Planning reviewed the report of the Task Force on Reshaping ALCTS' Future. Members brainstormed on the nature and content of the next ALCTS strategic plan. A nontraditional strategic plan will be developed, focusing on two to five critical issue areas. Nine candidate areas were identified during the brainstorming session; these areas will be fleshed out and discussed between Midwinter and February 15, with the goal of selecting between two and five of the issues for the ALCTS Executive Board to approve at their March meeting.

The committee briefly explored use of word clouds as a planning/marketing tool for ALCTS.

Publications

Actions taken since October 15, 2010 include:

  • Approval of a new charge.
  • A draft of an ALCTS Publishing FAQs was started by Peggy Johnson and Mary Beth Weber.
  • A member survey on interest in ALCTS Institutional Repository was drafted by Amy Jackson.
  • The committee approved the proposal for Sudden Selector’s Guide to Political Science.
  • The committee approved the manuscript for Guide to Online Approval Plans (Acquisitions Guide series).

By the 2011 ALA Annual Conference in New Orleans, the ALCTS Publications Committee hopes to:

  • Approve a streamlined review process and forward it to the ALCTS Board for review.
  • Post a list of ALCTS Publishing FAQs on Connect.   

Acquisitions Section

Acquisitions Organization and Management Committee

Jeanne Harrell updated the committee on the progress toward turning the 2010 preconference, "Taming the Licensing Tiger" into a webinar. Harrell will continue to work with the Continuing Education Committee on this. The rest of the meeting consisted of a discussion of the plan for the program scheduled for the 2011 ALA Annual Conference "Future of Acquisitions: Planning for Change in an Ever-Changing Environment." A call for speakers resulted in more candidates than needed, and three candidates were selected: Rick Anderson, University of Utah; Dracine Hodges, The Ohio State University Libraries; and Pam Matthews, Cuyahoga County Public Library. Committee members then discussed who would handle program promotion, flyers, and evaluations.

Policy and Planning

The committee:

  1. Confirmed the calendar revisions to bring late reviews back to scheduled cycle and the second group of changes to the questionnaire.
  2. Four committees are currently under review: PPC, Publications, Nominating, and Awards.
  3. The group addressed the difficulties of reviewing an administrative/structural group such as the nominations or awards committees that operate with one-year appointments, execute their tasks in a short period of time without meeting at conferences, and have no programs or further responsibilities. An action item that resulted from this point is that Ann Fath will follow up on these concerns with Marilyn Lewis, the AS liaison to ALCTS Organization and Bylaws.
  4. The committee also discussed the challenges getting responses from committee chairs and possible solutions. Fath will follow up with the AS Chair and Chair-elect.

Research and Statistics

The Research and Statistics Committee discussed the upcoming program at the 2011 ALA Annual Conference. The panel discussion will be titled “Slicing and Dicing: Usage Statistics for the Practitioner.” The speakers are: Greg Raschke, North Carolina State University; John McDonald, Claremont Colleges; and Rick Burke, SCELC (Statewide California Electronic Library Consortium).

Committee members also brainstormed ideas for a 2012 program, including further collaboration with RUSA CODES, the co-sponsors of the committee’s 2011 program.

Technology

Chair Lai-Ying Hsiung updated the committee on the progress of the preconference that will take place during the 2011 ALA Annual Conference, “Patron-Driven Acquisitions in Academic Libraries: Maximizing Technology to Minimize Risk”. The preconference will take place on June 24, 8:30 a.m.-5 p.m. Rick Lugg, R2 Consulting, will be the moderator for six sessions. Most of the presenters will be librarian-vendor pairs, covering both small and big libraries. The committee worked with Acquisitions Managers and Vendors Interest Group on a PDA session during the 2011 ALA Midwinter Meeting to promote the preconference. Members discussed how to compile handouts of metrics and procedures, etc. and evaluation form for preconference participants. The committee will schedule at least one conference call with the speakers in May, and will explore options for external sponsors for funding if needed.   

Cataloging and Classification Section

Cataloging: Asian and African Materials Committee

Agenda

The agenda was approved with the correction of a typographical error from “AL/ALC” to “ALA/LC” for item 2. Minutes from the 2010 ALA Annual Conference were approved without a correction.

ALA/LC

Rebecca Routh updated the issues the LC drafts for Romanization of Judeo-Persian and Tajik as follows:

Report: Tajik Romanization

After consultation with available professionals on the language, not a librarian, it was reported that application of the proposed Tajik Romanization table would require knowledge of Persian in Arabic script. Comments and concerns will be forwarded to LC.

Report: Judeo-Persian Romanization

A major challenge to any attempt to devise a Romanization scheme for Judeo-Persian is the fact that most printed texts in Hebrew script are “unpointed” and therefore do not include the various diacritic marks intended to distinguish between consonant parings such as b and v, f and p, k and kh, s and sh. Another potential problem of the proposed Romanization is the attempt to include short vowels, which also vary considerably between speakers and which are typically omitted from pointed texts. Comments and concerns will be forwarded to LC.

Update of Proposed ALALC

Romanization chart for Uighur RT was discussed and there was a report from Wayne C. Richter. Since he was absent, Nakano read his emailed report. Highlight follow:

The Uighur RT was originally submitted in 1999. It seems the changes fell through the cracks and were never submitted to the community or incorporated into the RT. The revision would make the RT almost completely reversible and, combined with a transliteration macro, such as now exists for Arabic and Persian, would make it relatively easy to add Arabic script to Romanized records and vice versa.

Using the existing Romanization table as it currently exists online would require a lot of tweaking in converting with a macro.

Reversibility of ALALC

A Romanization chart was discussed and there was a report from Charles Riley. Riley was absent. Based on his report, Nakano reiterated that CC:AAM’s future work on RT should review its functionality with regard to reversibility as well as Romanization. ALALC Thai Romanization will appear in issue 128 of the Cataloging Service Bulletin. CC:AAM agreed to examine its reversibility as much as possible.

Community Updates

CC:DA report (Hikaru Nakano)

Nakano gave a reported of the Saturday CC:DA meeting, including the Joint Steering Committee report, the AALL proposal, and task force reports.

John Attig gave the JSC report. JSC will start to receive proposals from other constituencies within the next few months. They have received a proposal from LC on the structure of chapter on subject relationships. JSC plans submit a proposal to the CCS Executive Committee regarding the need for sufficient procedures for consultation. Attig recommended a joint meeting with CC:DA and SAC. As for Romanization, there will be a proposal available after the 2011 ALA Annual Conference. Attig recommended a joint meeting with CC:DA and CC:AAM to discuss the proposal.

Three FR models with differences in approaches to group three entities were discussed. The three approaches could be reviewed in a joint meeting with SAC at the 2011 ALA Annual Conference.

A revision to proposals to RDA from AALL (American Association of Law Libraries) is pending.

RDA Instructions for Heads of State and Heads of Government TF is under discussion ; RDA Instructions for Governmental and Nongovernmental Corporate Bodies is in proposal form and will be raised in the coming months.

LC report- Philip Melzer

Melzer reported updates at LC between the ALA Annual Conference and Midwinter Meeting. The Romanization table for Vai that was approved by CC:AAM will be available online at the ALALC Romanization Tables homepage and in issue 128 of the CSB. The proposals for the revision of the Thai Romanization table will also appear in the same issue and comments are welcome by March 31, 2011. Melzer also mentioned that staff reductions at LC in the Asian and Middle Eastern Division (ASME) affects communication between overseas communities and training and review involving the LC’s Overseas Offices. The reduction also is impacted by outsourcing: the receipt of bibliographic data from vendors has greatly reduced the amount of time that LC staff must spend creating IBC records.

OCLC report- Giles Martin

Martin was absent and Julianne Beall reported on Martin’s behalf. The Connexion client was released in June 2010. The new Duplicate Detection and Resolution (DDR) software completed its initial processing of WorldCat in September 2010. More than 166 million records were processed, and 5.1 million duplicate records were merged. OCLC has been supporting the RDA testing. OCLC Contract Cataloging

Services staff have also participated in RDA testing.

WorldCat Statistics (as of January 2011) follow: 11.9 million CJK records; 1.1 million Hebrew records; 551,000 Arabic records; 453,000 Cyrillic records; 127,000 Thai records; 45,000 Greek record; 37,000 Tamil records; 2,000 Devanagari records and 300 Bengali records. At present, there are no development resources for adding additional scripts in WorldCat.

Dewey update: WebDewey 2.0 was released. It enables users: to access the DDC and related information; to search or browse Dewey numbers, LCSH, MeSH, and BISAC heading and to access authority records from links in the WebDewey records.

ALC Cataloging Committee

Atoma Thiu Batoma reported the update from African Librarians Council. SkyRiver has been acknowledged by NACO as of November 17, 2010. This is good news for MSU catalogers in particular, and for Africana catalogers in general.

Pamela Howard-Reguindin from LC’s Nairobi office reported on the important progress made by their catalogers: they now perform whole book cataloging of their resources and put their records on the LC website. This will, obviously, help reduce Africana backlogs.

CEAL Report- Xudong Jin, Ohio Wesleyan University

Jin reported that there was no Council of East Asian Libraries meeting between the 2010 ALA Annual Conference and the 2011 ALA Midwinter Meeting. Nakano suggested that the Asian liaison could check with the CEAL Technical Processing Committee regarding their work during this time. Melzer shared that the CEAL Technical Processing Committee compiled all the CJK examples and submitted them to LC, for updating.

Middle East Librarian Association (MELA) - Rebecca Routh

Routh gave an update on the Middle East Librarian Association. The RTs for both Ladino and Judeo-Arabic have been approved. There was a discussion of MELA’s Committee on Cataloging’s final draft of “Best Practices for Arabic Script Cataloging,” which will soon be posted on the MELA web site. It was noted that MELA’s best practice guidelines conflict in some respects with the BIBCO guidelines for bibliographic records in multiple scripts. The MELA Best Practices shifts the emphasis to a more complete recording of the information in script.

Committee on Research Materials on Southeast Asia (CORMOSEA)- Virginia Jing-yi Shih

Shih was absent, and no report was submitted.

Committee on South Asian Libraries and Documentation (CONSALD) - Alan Grosenheider

Grosenheider has resigned from the committee, and there has been no news about a replacement. Nakano will again contact to the CONSALD community and CCS.

Other Old Business

Nakano mentioned the possibility of a virtual meeting proposed a couple of month ago; however, considering the fact that this is her first meeting as chair, the proposal was withdrawn. Nakano suggested that this is something that the next chair could plan, if the committee reaches a consensus.

New Business

The next meeting will take place at 1:30-3:30 p.m. on June 26, 2011. CALA meets in the same

session, and the committee will discuss about the time change by email.

Committee on Cataloging: Description and Access

CC:DA is beginning to work on revision proposals for RDA and preparing for expected revision proposals from other constituencies. Though the revision process for RDA is not yet finalized, the Representative to the JSC anticipates that reports from other constituencies may be received in the near future and CC:DA will need to respond. CC:DA will use the wiki to post such proposals and announcements will be made on the discussion list so that interested parties can comment.

CC:DA discussed two revision proposals from AALL, regarding RDA 16.2.2.9: Places in certain federations, and RDA 6.29.1.21: Reports of one court. Discussion of the first proposal will continue via email. The second proposal was approved as amended based on discussion and will be forwarded to the JSC.

Two task forces on revision proposals reported on their progress. The TF on RDA Instructions for Heads of State and Heads of Government is considering the differences in these instructions and the implications of merging them, such as assigning gender-neutral terms in the language of the jurisdiction and the potential loss of chronology. The TF on RDA Instructions for Governmental and Non-Governmental Corporate Bodies is addressing differences in these instructions with the goal of creating one unified list of instructions; issues include whether or not to include the entire hierarchy of the body for bodies entered subordinately.

The Representative to the JSC alerted CC:DA that the JSC is discussing the scope of RDA and the future of the place-holder chapters on subject attributes and relationships. A discussion paper is planned, which may outline options such as following each of the three Functional Requirements standards: FRBR, FRAD, or FRSAD. This lends some urgency to resolving the question of what CCS group(s) will be responsible for responding to the discussion paper and to future development of these chapters of RDA. CC:DA authorizes the JSC to provide the ALA response on descriptive cataloging issues, but subject issues are not currently in CC:DA’s charge. After discussion of possible approaches, the JSC Representative and the chairs of CC:DA and SAC met with the CCS Executive Board to propose a course of action: appoint a SAC representative/liaison to CC:DA. SAC would appoint a standing subcommittee on RDA, headed by the SAC liaison and including members familiar with CC:DA processes for rule development and revision. SAC would be the decision-making body for formulating the ALA response, and the decision would be communicated to CC:DA at CC:DA meetings. CC:DA and SAC plan to hold a joint meeting at ALA Annual to begin discussion of the subject attributes and relationships in RDA.

CC:DA plans to work on revision of some documents in light of RDA. Some are administrative documents and will require only minor updates but others are externally focused, such as “How to Submit a Rule Change Proposal to CC:DA” and the brochure “Building International Descriptive Cataloging Standards: the role of the ALA’s CCDA.” Task forces may be formed to work on revising the latter documents.

In this interim period between publication of RDA and significant revision activity, CC:DA was able to complete all business in Saturday’s meeting and canceled the regular Monday meeting.

Cataloging of Children’s Materials

Patricia Ratkovich (Chair) and Pam Newburg (Past-Chair) met with the ALCTS Program Committee during the ALA Midwinter Meeting to finalize the plans for the program in New Orleans during the 2011 ALA Annual Conference. The Program Committee approved the program and written description, with some clarification of the question and answer format of the program. The program, “Children’s Cataloger’s Sandbox: Using the Tools of Cataloging Correctly for Kids 5th Edition” will be presented on Sunday, June 25, 4-5:30 p.m.

Sixteen people attended the 2011 ALA Midwinter Meeting of Cataloging Children’s Material Committee meeting. Reports were taken from the members on changes in their areas:

  • H.W. Wilson/Sears—Sears is now accessible on the web. A Spanish version of Sears will soon be available on WilsonWeb.
  • Quality Books Inc.—QBI is an official RDA Test participant, they are still forming up final thoughts on RDA.
  • Bound to Stay Bound—Bound to Stay Bound has done informal testing of RDA and found it complicated to use; otherwise the testing went pretty well.
  • Perma-Bound—Commented that most school librarians have not of RDA and do not know that it is coming. Some school districts cannot handle the 10-digit LCCNs.
  • Dewey—Focused on producing Dewey edition 23. DDC 23 is expected to be released around April or May. Translations are on the way, with Arabic additions—Islam related will be in DDC 23. The Swedish team has completed work on a mixed translation.
  • LC—The Annotated Card program name has changed to Children’s and Young Adults’ Cataloging Program (CYAC). LC continues to reorganize and consolidate areas. They will restructure “U.S. Publisher Liaison” division to become the “U.S. Programs, Law, and Literature” division, which will include CIP, CYAC, Dewey, ISSN, and the cataloging of law and literature. Also, the “U.S. General” will become the “U.S. Arts, Sciences and Humanities” and will include sections that are organized by subject areas and catalog English materials in the arts, sciences and the humanities. If this merger is approved, it will unite the Children’s Literature section with the Literature section. In the future there is hope of seeing the children’s materials policies integrated into the broader policy documentation, i.e., How to apply CYAC headings worked into the Subject Headings Manual; How to write summaries worked into Descriptive Cataloging Manual; PZ7 shelflisting instructions worked into the Classification and Shelflisting Manual. There is work on a website for CYAC, to be ready sometime late summer.
  • CC:DA Liaison—The Northeast Independent School District was the only school district participant in the RDA testing. They have a centralized processing for their cataloging material. Based on the experiences of the catalogers the 33X fields were the most troublesome. It was suggested that maybe a shorter list aimed at schools and public libraries might be a good idea.
  • “Children’s Cataloger’s Sandbox: Using the Tools of Cataloging Correctly for Kids 5th edition” will be presented on Sunday, June 25, 4:00-5:30 p.m.; the 2011 ALA Annual Conference program will be a question and answer type venue. The committee regards this as an excellent way to get audience participation. The presentation will focus on the changes in the new edition of the book, Cataloging Correctly for Kids 5th edition. The panel fielding the questions will consist of Julianne Beall, Michael Panzer, Joseph Miller, Linda Geisler and Joanna Fountain. Attendees will be asked to write down any questions or comments on a card as they come into the program. Questions will be addressed as time allows, with the chair monitoring the time spent on each question.

Continuing Education

  • The Committee agreed to pilot test a virtual meeting Midwinter 2011 and meet in person at Annual Conference 2011.
  • With input from the liaison to CCS Continuing Education, the Committee agreed that its role is to develop CE outside of the conferences, focusing on webinars not courses, and to focus on submitting two webinars per year. The Committee led by Tamara Phalen created a list of possible webinar topics for internal use and is developing an annotated list of websites with free cataloging and classification presentations/webinars with a cataloging and classification focus that would complement the list on the ALCTS Council of Regional Groups web site.
  • In 2010, Andrea Morrison, with advice from the Committee, developed Introduction to Sears Subject Headings I, held November 10, 2010, and Introduction to Sears Subject Headings II held December 8, 2010, presented by Sara Rofofsky Marcus. Upon review, these may be offered again. The webinar proposal forms submitted to ALCTS CE and the procedures used for CE approval and feedback can be used as a model for the Committee in the future.
  • For spring 2011, Anna Devore has begun developing two Library of Congress classification webinars not yet submitted to ALCTS Continuing Education for approval: Louise Ratliff (Social Sciences Cataloger, UCLA) has agreed to present LC Class H and Elaine Franco (Principal Cataloger at University of California, Davis) has agreed to present LC Class P. Upon request from the Committee, Anna investigated the Library of Congress Cataloger's Learning Workshop and reported that the webinars would not conflict with those materials.
  • Webinars under development include an Introduction to metadata webinar, but we have had three possible presenters turn us down. We are considering a parallel records webinar; we are in favor but are reviewing the OCLC webinar on the topic. Stacy Traill has contacted a possible presenter on a Provider neutral cataloging: more than book format webinar. Other committee members are assisting with investigating possible webinars.
  • The committee reviewed and considered the continuing education on RDA and gave the groups assigned to that task our feedback.
  • Early in 2010, we reviewed the Fundamentals of Cataloging Course. Anna DeVore sent detailed constructive criticism to the ALCTS Office. The course developers are revising the course, and upon request from the ALCTS office fall 2010, the chair formed a CCS-CE Task Force to Review the Fundamentals of Cataloging Course. The committee has responded to one question so far.

Continuing Education Training Materials, CCS/PCC

Jeannette Ho discussed the committee’s charge review and distributed the questions that need to be completed for this review. Ann Caldwell will initiate a discussion via e-mail in order for this to be submitted by March 1, 2011

The remainder of the meeting was spent reviewing the various courses.

  • The Cataloging Skills courses need URL checking. Caldwell will have someone do that
  • Basic Creation of Name and Title Authorities was recently revised
  • Basic Subject Cataloging Using LCSH was revised in 2009
  • Fundamentals of Series Authorities needs an index and/or table of contents
  • Fundamentals of LCC has been given recently
  • The CAT21 courses need some revision
  • Digital Project Planning & Management Basics needs to be updated, as do Metadata and Digital Library Development and Metadata Standards and Applications
  • Principles of Controlled Vocabulary and Thesaurus Design and Rules and Tools are more up-to-date
  • The CAT21 courses have had URL checking
  • The SCCTP courses are constantly being updated

It was decided that although these courses are not really well-suited for webinars, they are good for online training. Most need some sort of clean up first. LC is responsible for the actual cleanup.

Caldwell will contact various trainers to see if they would be willing to look at the courses for changes.

Executive

  • Votes between Annual and Midwinter were confirmed. Among these were acceptance of the Margaret Mann Jury Award to Edward Swanson and the nomination of Robert Bothmann to the IFLA Cataloging Standing Committee.
  • There was a report from the RDA Update Program Task Force. The pre-conference they sponsored was well attended. A report was submitted from the RDA Planning and Training Task Force outlining webinars that had been given. These were very successful.
  • The committee received a request for an Interest Group to be formed to encourage use of faceted subject access. This was approved.
  • Job descriptions will be posted on the web page. There was a question regarding where to put a job description for the Policy and Planning. ALA Connect and the CCS web page were suggested.
  • The report from the Task Force on Cooperative Cataloging still is not on the web.
  • The Reshaping and ALCTS planning were briefly discussed. Members felt they had already given input before and had no additional comments. However, they expressed a need for more virtual meetings or software to accommodate it. Two committees are already virtual. One decided not to meet at Midwinter, but instead have several conference calls during the year. This seems to match up with Charles Wilt’s notion that old and new members should meet at Annual and the rest of the year could be done as best suits the needs of the committee. Members liked the proposed schedule except they did not want to conduct actual business in the all committees slot because it is too noisy.
  • There was a report from the ALCTS Program Planning Committee, Policy and Planning, and Research and Publications. The latter is planning a program on research for publication. CC:DA and SAC asked for a liaison at the CCS Exec level to be appointed which would be chair of a SAC standing committee to address subject aspects of RDA. The Chair would identify the subcommittee members to serve (assuming familiarity with CC:DA procedures) Members-at-large reported that all but one of the interest groups seemed well organized at Midwinter.

Policy and Planning

Jeannette Ho gave an update on the outcomes of the CCS charge reviews the committee performed the previous spring. CCS Policy and Planning’s (PPC) charge has been updated to reflect its new role in reminding interest groups to petition for renewal. She also gave a report on CCS Executive Committee meetings at the conference. ALCTS is considering having all CCS committees meet at the same time on Sunday mornings to save costs on room reservations. If this happens, future PPC chairs may no longer be able to attend the CCS Executive Committee Sunday meeting since this will run simultaneously with the CCS Policy and Planning Committee meeting. There was also a concern among PPC members that this all-committee meeting would potentially conflict with Program for Cooperative Cataloging meetings that are also held during the Sunday morning time slot.

Kristen Lindland reported on the ALCTS Planning Committee’s activities. They continue to work on a new strategic planning database and will test it by the end of February. Lindland will forward the final report on “Reshaping ALCTS” to PPC members after the conference. ALCTS Planning is discussing how to change its strategic planning process to be more flexible and include smaller things that can be accomplished in the short-term. She is going to send the PPC members its ideas for feedback and send us links to articles on ALA Connect. Lindland will input items in the new tracking database for CCS, but said there might be flexibility on who can edit the database.

The group reviewed the self-study questionnaires that Jeannette Ho and Dale Swensen had sent to the CCS interest groups that are up for renewal this year: the Catalog Management IG, the Cataloging Norms IG, the Cataloging and Classification Research IG, and the CCS/MAGERT Cartographic Cataloging IG. The questionnaire responses looked thorough. Two questions were raised: 1) Whether Cataloging Norms would want to change its name to be more reflective of its proposed new charge; and 2) Whether the MAGERT IG had deliberately left off some information in its charge, or still wanted the same wording. Ho will follow up with Cataloging Norms while Swensen will follow up with the MAGERT IG.

The committee also discussed the upcoming charge review for the Joint PCC/CCS Committee on Continuing Education (CETM). Ho, who is a member of this committee, presented the self-study questionnaire to them from the meeting she attended on Sunday afternoon at the conference. After the 2011 ALA Midwinter Meeting, she will forward Sandra Macke’s email address to the chair, and Macke will take the lead on writing the executive summary for CETM based on its responses to the questionnaire. CETM has a March 1deadline to return the questionnaire. The deadline for sharing the executive summary with the PPC for group discussion is April 15. The deadline for the CCS PPC to send the final version of the executive summary to CCS Exec is May 20, roughly one month before the 2011 ALA Annual Conference.

Ho also shared draft procedures for the CCS charge reviews/IG petition renewals, and a job description for the CCS PPC chair, which she had posted to ALA Connect prior to the conference. A question was raised about whether the timeline of soliciting responses to IG petition renewal questionnaires and approving the renewals could be shortened. For instance, Ho was told that the PPC must mirror what the ALCTS Organization and Bylaws (O&B) Committee does, yet O&B has the authority to approve renewals of division-level interest groups at Midwinter, while CCS PPC does not. According to current procedures, they must wait for CCS Exec to do so at Annual. One potential solution is for the CCS PPC to discuss the petition for renewals online prior to the Midwinter Meeting. Jeannette Ho will follow up with Shelby Harken to see if the timeline can be shortened after the conference.

Recruitment and Mentoring

The committee discussed the mentoring program. Google Documents will be used for the form. The committee will try to have the program launched before the 2011 ALA Annual Conference. Christine McConnell asked the committee to compile a list of questions that beginning catalogers might have and things experienced catalogers wish they had known at the start of their careers. The mentoring program will be used to generate the list.

Subject Analysis

Since the 2010 ALA Annual Conference in Washington, D.C., the Subject Analysis Committee has continued to be active, primarily on the CCS-SAC mailing list. While SAC as a whole has not been inundated with activity during this period, various subcommittees, task forces, and working groups have begun or continued to work on various projects. These are addressed below.

Appointment of a liaison to OLAC/CAPC Moving Image LC Genre/Form Heading Best Practices Task Force

SAC was invited to send a liaison to the OLAC/CAPC Moving Image LC Genre/Form Heading Best Practices Task Force. Deborah A. Ryszka accepted the appointment and made her first report to SAC at the 2011 ALA Midwinter Meeting.

SAC/LC Free-floating Subdivision Review

One of the more extensive projects undertaken during the past year has been a review with Library of Congress (LC) of the LCSH free-floating subdivisions. After the 2010 ALA Annual Conference, SAC began Phase Three of the project. Another group of volunteers was organized to examine free-floating subdivisions in order to make recommendations as to:

  • which subdivisions are obsolete and therefore can be cancelled,
  • which subdivisions are nearly synonymous and therefore may be combined,
  • whether new patterns headings are needed,
  • which subdivisions may need to be revised or reworded.

The working group began discussing subdivisions that fit these criteria. The discussion has led to some potential recommendations to the Library of Congress. There is some overlap with a project of the SAC Subcommittee on Genre/Form Implementation. The two groups will coordinate efforts. This project is ongoing; it will continue through 2011.

LCGFT Pre-Conference for ALA Annual 2011

The second major project undertaken by SAC was the development of a preconference for the 2011 ALA Annual Conference “What IS it, anyway? Library of Congress Genre/Form Terms for Library and Archival Materials.” After receiving approval from SAC to pursue this preconference, the SAC chair and Janis Young, Senior Cataloging Policy Specialist, LC, submitted a proposal for a preconference to the CCS Executive Committee. It was approved with suggestions. The proposal was then taken to ALCTS Program Planning, which also approved the proposal. The preconference will take place during the 2011 ALA Annual Conference schedule for June 24, 2011, 8:30 a.m.-5 p.m. The SAC chair submitted the final title, the final preconference description, speakers’ names, and an outline to the ALCTS Program Planning Committee. The speakers for the conference are Janis Young (LC), Yael Mandelstam (Fordham University Law Library), and Beth Iseminger (Harvard College Library). During the 2011 ALA Midwinter Meeting, the SAC chair and Janis Young met again with ALCTS Program Planning Committee to discuss progress on the preconference. The ALCTS Program Planning Committee stated that the preconference looked like it was in good shape. Work will continue on the preconference up until the 2011 ALA Annual Conference in New Orleans.

SAC Faceting Task Force

Activity began on the newly formed SAC Faceting Task Force. The group began after the 2010 ALA Annual Conference. One of its first activities was to begin a literature search on faceting and building an annotated bibliography via a wiki established at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. The group, which has been informally established, is working with the SAC chair to establish a charge.

SAC Research and Presentations Working Group

Activity began on the newly formed SAC Research and Presentations Working Group. The group began to work following the 2011 ALA Annual Conference. The focus of this group has been to find a topic and a speaker for the 2011 ALA Midwinter Meeting. As the group moves forward, additional emphasis will be placed on identifying literature, blog postings, research, etc., relevant to the SAC community, and establishing a communication mechanism for such information.

SAC and the Subject-related Entities and Relationships in RDA

The Joint Steering Committee for Development of RDA (JSC) is moving forward with the subject-related chapters of RDA. In the next six months, it is expected that the JSC will begin preliminary work on this area. To prepare for the upcoming efforts, the SAC and CC:DA chairs met with the ALA Representative to the JSC to discuss the development of a process for ALA responses to subject-related proposals and papers. As these chapters will be addressing subject analysis issues, the responses are not under the purview of CC:DA, yet SAC has no experience in working within the structured JSC framework and is not formally charged to respond to the JSC. The SAC and CC:DA chairs and the ALA JSC representative proposed to CCS Executive Board a possible approach to handling this situation.

There was a proposal was for the CCS Executive Committee to appoint a SAC Liaison to CC:DA. SAC would be the decision-making body for formulating the ALA responses, and the decisions would be communicated at CC:DA meetings. The SAC liaison, who would be a voting member of SAC and a non-voting liaison on CC:DA, would: 1) work closely with the ALA representative to the JSC on subject-related issues, and 2) chair a standing SAC subcommittee established to respond to the subject-related JSC proposals and papers. The subcommittee would investigate these issues and formulate a response, which would be presented to SAC for approval. The SAC and CC:DA chairs and ALA JSC representative would like to see more collaboration between the two committees in the future as many of the issues in RDA may start to blend both descriptive and subject aspects. A discussion/reporting structure has already been established under CC:DA. The ALCTS CCS Executive Committee approved this proposal on during the 2011 ALA Midwinter Meeting. On Monday, January 10, 2011, SAC formally approved the creation of the SAC Subcommittee on RDA. Volunteers will need to be recruited once a liaison has been appointed. A joint meeting between SAC and CC:DA is planned during the 2011 ALA Annual Conference, tentatively scheduled for latter half of the Monday morning CC:DA meeting.

Activities at ALA Midwinter 2011, San Diego, California

The meetings that took place on January 9 and 10, 2011 contained reports from the following subcommittees, representatives, and liaisons:

  • American Association of Law Libraries
  • Art Libraries Society of North America
  • Dewey Decimal Classification
  • Dewey Decimal Classification Editorial Policy Committee
  • Dewey Section
  • IFLA
  • LC 's Policy and Standards Division
  • MARBI
  • Music Library Association
  • OCLC Fast Project
  • OLAC/CAPC Moving Image LC Genre/Form Heading Best Practices Task Force
  • SAC Faceting Task Force
  • SAC Research and Presentations Working Group
  • SAC Subcommittee on FAST
  • SAC Subcommittee on Genre/Form Implementation
  • SACO at Large
  • Sears List of Subject Headings

As part of the SAC Monday Presentation Series, John Mark Ockerbloom, Digital Planner and Researcher, University of Pennsylvania, gave a presentation on linked open subject authority data and how it can be used to improve subject cataloging and browsing. He described how the LC data is structured, including an overview of RDF and SKOS, and explained how he has used it to improve the Online Books Page and the Penn Libraries’ catalog. He also showed how he augmented and enhanced the authority data from LC, and discussed how widespread use of linked bibliographic and authority data may change how we build and use catalogs in the future. The presentation was well attended. Discussion was lively, and extended the presentation length from one hour to ninety minutes.   

SAC Subcommittee on Genre/Form Implementation

The subcommittee first heard reports from the liaison from the Library of Congress, Janis Young, and from representatives on the subcommittee affiliated with the American Association of Law Libraries (Yael Mandelstam), Online Audiovisual Catalogers (Deborah Ryszka), and the Music Library Association (Hermine Vermeij). Young’s report was distributed at the meeting, and was a subset of her full report to SAC. The other reports had been posted in advance to the subcommittee space on ALA Connect (http://connect.ala.org/node/125412).

The bulk of the meeting was taken up by a discussion of the draft recommendations of the 185/155 Working Group chaired by Mary Mastraccio and Yael Mandelstam. The working group consists of a subset of the full subcommittee (specifically Mastraccio, Mandelstam, Schiff, Vermeij, Contursi, and Maxwell). Between the 2010 ALA Annual Conference and the 2011 Midwinter Meeting, the working group looked at all of the existing free-floating form subdivisions, and developed a spreadsheet with comments and recommendations on whether each form subdivision should be retained and whether it should also be established as an authorized LC Genre/Form Term. The entire subcommittee worked through a part of the draft recommendations, and then agreed to complete its review of the work online by the end of February. Mandelstam will shepherd this to completion. At the end of the meeting, the subcommittee briefly discussed its other large project having to do with other facets that are related to genre/form. The subcommittee had already developed a working list of aspects or facets associated in some way with genre/form: Geographic origin of a work (e.g., Brazilian motion pictures; Canadian atlases) Location/geographic setting (e.g., a novel set in San Francisco; an opera set in France) Ethnicity of the creator (e.g., African American poetry; music by Asian composers) Nationality of the creator (e.g., Canadian country music; Argentine literature) Language of the work (e.g., Spanish-language films; silent films with English intertitles; Russian drama) Audience (e.g., stories for children; maps for blind persons) Class of persons of the creator (e.g., music by lesbian composers; cancer patients' writings; school verse) Chronology/time period of creation (e.g., 20th century fiction; Renaissance music) Aspects of literary form (e.g., blank verse; rhymed couplets; second person narrative) Part/sequence (e.g., first volume; final volume; part of a series) Collection type (e.g., best of selections; early works; posthumous works; award-winning works) Translation type/format (e.g., interlinear translation; translation on facing pages; prose translation; verse translation) Text preparation (e.g., critical edition; variorum edition; text and commentary) Accessibility (e.g., closed-captioned) Gender of creator (e.g., music composed by women; poetry by men) Topical aspects (e.g., war stories; horror stories involving dentists) Denomination/religion (e.g., Christian films; Buddhist stories; Jewish sermons; Catholic wit and humor) Medium of performance (e.g., piano music; music for violin, viola, and flute) Beginning in March 2011, the subcommittee will decide which of these aspects it wishes to tackle, and then each member will be assigned one or more of them. For each aspect, a report will be created that includes the following: existing MARC fields in both bibliographic and authority formats where data may be recorded; common current practices (one or more that may be used in a record by some libraries) for recording such data; possible new MARC fields/subfields/indicator values for data/possible new practices. The subcommittee will then review these reports at the 2011 ALA Annual Conference and decide on recommendations for best practices.

Collection Management Section

Administration of Collection Development

Chair Cynthia Shirkey reported on the Program Planning Committee that took place during the 2011 ALA Midwinter Meeting. The committee devoted much of the meeting time to developing program planning for the 2011 ALA Annual Conference. Committee members prepared a list of questions that are divided into five themes (assessment, work flow, subject librarian involvement, criteria, funding) that each speaker will cover. The committee discussed its transition from committee to interest group and sought clarification from CMS Chair Ginger Williams. Some of these concerns will be raised during the CMS Executive Committee meeting.

Collection Assessment

The committee discussed the proposed program for the 2011 ALA Annual Conference in New Orleans, “Collections Assessment Data: Organizing Chaos.” Due to personal reasons, Cynthia Holt, Program Chair, needed to step down from this role. At the time of our meeting, there were no confirmed speakers for the program. Annette Day, Head of Collection Development at North Carolina State University, has been contacted about the program she gave at the 2010 Charleston Conference, which closely resembles the committee’s program goals.

Other group members volunteered to recruit potential speakers. Joshua Barton will check on the 2009 assessment/cancellation project at the University of Michigan. Toni Katz recently attended the ARL Assessment Conference in Baltimore and will review the conference proceedings for potential speakers. Betty Landesman suggested contacting Genevieve Owens at the Williamsburg (Virginia) Public Library. The committee is still interested in pursuing co-sponsorships and will follow up with LLAMA-MAES, RUSA-CODES, and investigate interest groups in LITA.

Committee members discussed and reviewed some sample evaluation forms and will create a one-page evaluation form for the program. They will check into having the form posted online and will announce the link during the 2011 Annual program. An announcement will be posted to various discussion lists.

Post-committee Meeting

Chair Tom Diamond met with the ALCTS Program Committee on January 10, 2011. After a brief discussion about the status of the committee’s program (e.g. lack of any confirmed speakers), the Program Committee decided to cancel the program and merge it with the Acquisitions Section (AS) program, “Slicing and Dicing: Usage Statistics for the Practitioner.” Diamond has contacted the AS program chair and shared the committee’s former program description. He has also completed a form so that the Collection Assessment Committee will co-sponsor (in name only) the AS program.

Develop and Maintain a Collection Assessment Wiki

This is a follow up discussion from the 2010 ALA Annual Conference in Washington, D.C. Hilary Wagner and Joshua Barton completed a draft bibliography of articles related to collection assessment.

Topics include collection development policies and articles about working with faculty members. Diamond contacted Julie Reese about getting the bibliography posted somewhere on the ALCTS page. This will be posted on the Publications and Resources page under Collection Topics. As soon as the bibliography is completed, Diamond will forward it to Christine McConnell at ALCTS. It will also be forwarded to Andrea Wirth, Chair, CMDS Education Committee, per the request of CMS Chair Ginger Williams.

Since the committee will dissolve after the 2011 ALA Annual Conference, members created a petition to form an interest group, gathered ten signatures, and submitted it to the CMDS Executive Committee. The Executive Committee approved the petition at its January 9, 2011 meeting. Subsequently, the ALCTS Board of Directors approved the petition.

Collection Development and Electronic Resources

The committee discussed last-minute preparations for its ALCTS Forum program, "Is Selection Dead? The Rise of Collection Management and the Twilight of Selection.” Raik Zaghloul volunteered to serve as timekeeper.

The committee also discussed its upcoming transition from committee to an interest group. Brian Quinn distributed a petition to obtain the requisite ten signatures. The committee discussed the activities and projects that might be pursued as an interest group. Traditionally, the committee has mainly been involved in programming. Besides programming, members discussed conducting webinars, holding preconferences, authoring publications, maintaining a weekly blog, offering chat sessions in Connect, and creating a wiki. The committee next discussed possible program topics for the 2011 ALA Annual Conference, in the hope that they might be able to use the ALCTS program slot to put on a program.

The committee discussed two possible topics of interest. The first was patron-driven access as an alternative to the subscription model, which would include pay per article arrangements, as exemplified by Deep Dive. The program could include representatives from Deep Dive and libraries in which it has been implemented. Representatives from publishers and their reaction to it could also be part of the proposed program. The second possible program idea was the implications of Google Books for collection development. What are libraries doing? What should they be doing? Speakers might include someone from Google Books, as well as librarians from libraries that have participated in the Google Books project.

Education

The Education Committee focused primarily on two topics: webinar development and revisions to the Fundamentals of Collection Development and Management (FCDM) readings lists.

Webinars

During the 2011 ALA Midwinter Meeting, new webinars topics were discussed:

  • Patron Driven Acquisitions—several sources of presenters were identified for this webinar and committee members Robin Champieux and Emily Bergman agreed to take the lead on its further development.
  • Tools for collections assessment: The committee would like to develop a webinar which reviews several tools for collection analysis and data gathering. Examples include: CollectionHQ, WorldCat Collection Analysis, and Excel. The committee is still looking for potential presenters. During a fall 2010 email exchange, the committee brainstormed a list of collections focused webinars and forwarded three of them with details to ALCTS Continuing Education. The information included rationale about why they were important topics to pursue and potential speakers. However, response from the potential presenters was minimal. The committee is still seeking presenters for these webinar ideas.

Topics identified were: Sudden Selectors—Business; Mobile Digital Readers; Streaming video collections

Updates

The committee developed a plan and timeline for updates to the FCDM readings: Each committee member volunteered for a Module. The draft updates will be completed by April 18, 2011. At that time, input will be sought from the FCDM instructors on the committee’s updates to the reading lists. The 2011 ALA Annual Conference is the deadline for having the updates completed.

Executive Committee

The CMDS Executive Committee approved petitions for two new interest groups: Collection Development and Electronic Resources and Collection Assessment and Evaluation. These groups are being formed to replace two committees that are dissolving following Annual 2011 as part of the section's reorganization. Both groups are eagerly planning their first interest group meetings for the 2012 ALA Midwinter Meeting.

The committee also discussed the feasibility of online meetings. ALA bylaws do not require two face-to-face meetings annually. Since many section members are unable to commit to both Annual and Midwinter in an era of tight travel budgets, we agreed to experiment with virtual meetings during the spring. Even if online meetings prove feasible, the committee still expects to hold meetings during the ALA Annual Conferences.

Policy and Planning

Committee members reviewed the structural changes to the section, which is renamed the Collection Management Section as of July 1, 2011. The name change reflects the overall umbrella concept that management activities are what bring the members together. This committee will become the Section Planning Committee.

One of the program speakers at the 2011 ALA Annual Conference, Dawn Peters, expressed an interest in doing a webinar for ALCTS. Her name was forwarded to Andrea Wirth, Chair, Education Committee.

Much of the meeting time during the 2011 ALA Midwinter Meeting was focused on discussing the coordination of contacts with, and communication with, the section interest groups. This involves Dale Swensen, Brigham Young University Law Library, who is the ALCTS IG coordinator. The challenge will be to work out an approach that does not duplicate work with Swensen and does not tax the IGs too much. There currently are six IGs. Two petitions to form IGs were subsequently submitted to the CMDS Executive Committee. The committee welcomed Li Ma, who is the section’s liaison to the ALCTS Planning Committee.

Publications

Five committee members will end their terms in June and can renew if they wish. In the review of the minutes from the 2010 ALA Annual Conference, the committee revised two paragraphs under the heading “Sudden Selector Update”:

  • The last sentence of paragraph three was revised to read, “Williams will contact the authors of the Chemistry and Biology guides about the potential of doing separate webinars.”
  • The second sentence of paragraph four was revised to read, “The committee agreed that an author should have experience as a selector in the subject area and should be familiar with the resources, services, and issues involved, and in addition, the author should have a record of writing or publishing, and s/he should submit a writing sample and a CV to accompany the proposal.”

The minutes from the 2010 ALA Annual Conference were approved.

Collection Management Blog

In August 2010 the CMS Publications Committee submitted a proposal to the CMS Executive Committee to create a “Collection Management Blog”. In October 2010, the CMS Executive Committee approved the proposal. The ALCTS Office was notified about the approval, and the Office began investigating the details on the Web space, the software, and the technical support that would be available for the blog. In December 2010, Dew was informed that the ALCTS Office was ready to work with the individuals who will be managing the blog. He added the blog to the Publication Committee’s 2011 Midwinter Meeting agenda for discussion and decisions on staffing, scheduling, recruitment, policies, standards, etc. The committee made the following decisions about the Blog: Title Collection Connection: The Library Collection Management Blog.

Prominently displayed on the page will be the following, “Sponsored and maintained by the ALCTS Collection Management Section.” Blogmaster Steven Harris will be an ex-officio member of the Publications Committee and will write regular columns for the Blog. He will supervise the recruitment of other authors, will post white papers and works of other authors to the blog, will develop and maintain a schedule for weekly postings to the blog, will monitor and filter any responses to blog entries to Associate Blogmaster Harriet Lightman . Responsibilities will be determined by the Blogmaster and the CMS Publications Committee The Blogmaster and the Associate Blogmaster will have full management rights to the blog site.

The Chair of the CMS Publications Committee will also have full management rights. Other individuals may later be given full management rights. The managers will work with the ALCTS Office to get the blog prepared for launching, and they are responsible for ensuring that it is published regularly and the site is kept up-to-date. The blog will provide an online forum for discussion, announcements, and current information related to the issues of collection management and development. Additionally, the blog will highlight issues and current information related to collection management and development. An advance schedule will be established for weekly postings, and with the Blogmaster’s supervision and scheduling, committee members will contribute regularly. Other contributors will also be recruited from CMS membership and other professional colleagues.

Although it will be located on the ALA/ALCTS/CMS web site, the blog will be freely available and will not require ALA, ALCTS, or CMS membership. Marketing, announcements and communications related to the blog will be posted on discussion lists, newsletters, Twitter, Facebook, and other appropriate venues.

Emerging Research in Collection Management and Development Forum

The Emerging Research in Collection Management and Development Forum is scheduled for the 2011 ALA Annual Conference June 26, 4-5:30pm. There will be two presentations: “Assessment of a Fully Integrated Patron Driven Access (PDA) Model to Provide English Language Books at the University of Arizona,” Douglas Jones, University of Arizona, and “Breaking Out of the Silo: Public Library Use of Free Online Resources,” Heather Hill, University of Western Ontario. Jenny Bossaller, University of Missouri and Michael Levine-Clark will serve as moderators for the Forum, providing the welcoming remarks and introducing the speakers.

During 2011, the committee recommended asking attendees to provide their email addresses on a sign-up sheet so that they can be contacted after programs if they want copies of handouts, PowerPoint presentations, etc. The committee will meet at the 2011 ALA Annual Conference on the morning before the forum to assign responsibilities (handing out and collecting evaluation forms, distributing the sign-up sheet, etc.). Chair Stephen Dew noted that only twelve evaluation forms were returned from the 2010 forum, although there were over forty attendees. All twelve evaluations ranked the program and the speakers as either Very Positive or Somewhat Positive. The evaluation form from 2010 will be used again in 2011, but question number nine regarding membership in ALA divisions will be deleted. Dew will contact the ALCTS Office about any results for 2010 from Survey Monkey and whether or not there are plans to use it again this year.

During the month prior to Annual 2011, the committee will again promote the forum through announcements posted to discussion lists and other venues. Two months prior to the conference, Dew will prepare a template announcement and will share it with committee members for revision and eventual distribution. Peggy Johnson, LRTS Editor, has asked the committee to encourage the Forum presenters to turn their presentations and research into manuscripts that can be submitted to LRTS. Dew will contact this year’s speakers with this request.

Guide for Written Collection Policy Statements

Dew shared with the committee an email that he received from Steve Alleman, RUSA CODES, inquiring about the possibility of updating the Guide for Written Collection Policy Statements (ALA: Chicago, 1996). The Guide is a very short publication (36 pages), and was sponsored by the CMDS Administration of Collection Development Committee. Alleman also contacted the current Chair of the Administration of Collection Development Committee to see if that group was interested in sponsoring a new edition. The current Chair of the Administration of Collection Development Committee declined, mainly because her committee will be disbanded following the conclusion of the 2011 ALA Annual Conference and will become an interest group.

Alleman suggested that, if CMS were not interested in the project, RUSA be permitted to take over the revision of the guide. Publication Committee members agreed that it would be good to have CMS involved in any revision of the Guide, and agreed that the Publications Committee will serve as the sponsor for CMS, with CODES being the RUSA sponsor. Edward Lener would serve as the editor (as Joanne Anderson did for the 1996 edition) or as co-editor, (if RUSA CODES wishes to have an editor as well). Dew and Lener will contact Alleman to investigate the possibility of a joint project. If it is agreeable, Dew and Lener will prepare an ALCTS publication proposal, which will follow the regular ALCTS/CMS publication process.

Sudden Selector Update

Editor Helene Williams distributed copies of a spreadsheet updating the situation with Sudden Selector manuscripts and proposals, and provided a brief report on each item. The manuscripts for the Biology and Chemistry guides are in the final editing stage and will be ready to send to ALCTS by the end of January (Chemistry) and the end of February (Biology). The manuscript for Children’s Literature has completed its review by the editor and a committee member (Jennifer Laherty), and it will next be sent to an outside reviewer. The Geography manuscript has completed its review by the editor and a committee member (Jim Dooley), and it will next be sent to an outside reviewer. The English manuscript is due at the end of January, and Jack Hall will serve as the committee reviewer. The Physics manuscript is due at the end of January, and Ed Lener will serve as the committee reviewer. The proposal for Art has been approved by the CMS Executive Committee and has been forwarded to the ALCTS Publications Committee for review. The Anthropology proposal and the Romance Language proposal are being revised and will be resubmitted. A proposal for Government Publications and a proposal for Political Science were recently received, and they will be submitted to the Publications Committee for review shortly after Midwinter. The proposals for Music and Engineering have lapsed, and the authors have been informed that time has run out. Should other writers enquire about either subject, we would let them submit proposals. Given the number of titles in the pipeline at the moment, the committee will not pursue any new proposals before the 2011 ALA Annual Conference, but Williams will respond to any queries that come in during that time.   

Continuing Resources Section

Committee on Holdings Information

General Committee Discussion

The meeting minutes from the September 16, 2010 conference call were approved. The focus of the meeting was to finalize the planning for the 2011 Midwinter Holdings Update Forum.

Report from the CONSER liaison

CONSER members are discussing Hathi Trust serials records and the digital marker in the CONSER bibliographic records for materials from various sources. At the CONSER at-large meeting at the 2011 ALA Midwinter Meeting, there will be reports from the RDA test libraries. In general, there are contentions regarding records created under different set of standards.

Assignment of note takers at 2010 Midwinter Holdings Forum

Les Hawks for KBART; Heather Staines for IOTA; and Sandy Chen for CrossRef.

Journal publication history and holdings information

An overview was provided by guest David Lawrence who speaks on specific information needs from an A and I database perspective. As an editor and developer of an online journal database, he is in need of information on publication history and the number of volumes and issues, and supplements have been published for each journal. He is interested in any existing source for such information, or to collaborate with the library community in developing a comprehensive publication holdings database. The committee considered this a potential topic for the 2011 ALA Annual Conference forum, either a presentation or as a roundtable discussion format.

ALA Annual 2011 (New Orleans) Holdings Forum discussion

Another potential topic for New Orleans Forum was the use of MARC tag 583 to record information regarding distributed print journal preservation or digitization project among institutions. PEPRS is another preservation project which might be of interest to the committee

Final Report on ALCTS Reshaping Survey

The committee recommended to the ALCTS Board of Directors that discussions about technology means to support ALCT Goal #6: Virtualization. With increasing number of virtual committee meetings, ALCTS needs to provide virtual meeting tools and technology at ALA Annual and Midwinter Meeting for committee work.

Continuing Resources Cataloging

The Continuing Resources Cataloging Committee hosted a forum during the 2011 ALA Midwinter Meeting. Approximately 100 attendees heard news and updates from ISSN Coordinator Regina Reynolds, CONSER Coordinator Les Hawkins, and the Continuing Resources Section’s CC:DA Liaison.

The remainder of the Update Forum was dedicated to discussing the results of the CRCC Informal RDA Testing Task Force. Twenty-five continuing resources catalogers participated in informal testing of RDA. All records created were submitted as part of the Extra Set. The results and records of the Task Force are available at: http://connect.ala.org/node/127186 . Jennifer Young, Task Force Co-Chair, presented the results of the survey questions and details of the Task Force. Valerie Bross, Task Force Co-Chair, discussed her group's experience during the test from a tester's point of view. CRCC Member and Task Force Member Robert Rendall described his experience as a reviewer of the informal test. CRCC Chair Jennifer Young then led a question and answer session with the panelists.

Education, Research, and Publications

Committee Charge

Committee members examined the charges of the committees that merged to become the CRS Education, Research and Publications Coordinating Committee. The charge for the new committee is on the ALCTS web site:

“Serve as a resource and think tank for education, research, publications and program planning for the section and as a liaison within ALCTS, other divisions within ALA and affiliate groups. Encourage, identify and collaborate, where needed, on ideas, issues, events and outcomes that reflect the section's interests and the work of its committees and interest groups. Coordinate research, training and publications in those areas. Facilitate creation of task forces, interest groups and ALA Connect communities in response to identified needs and issues.”

Restructuring ALCTS

There will be no decision on ALCTS’ restructuring plans until after the 2011 ALA Annual Conference. It was decided that the committee should move forward with its charge. If changes are made, the responsibilities will be reassigned, if needed.

Connect Space

Mavis Moto reported that Kurt Blythe is in the process of moving information from the previous committees’ sites to the new Connect space created for the merged committee. A link from the old committees to the new committee will be created.

Publication in Progress: Guide to Managing Microforms

The authors have been contacted, and thought they were getting the final acknowledgements, but the material may be out of date. Molto contacted the ALCTS Publications Committee in January 2011. The Publications Committee said a new proposal is needed since there is a rule requiring publications to be completed within a two-year time frame from the proposal’s approval.

Research and Publications

  • Syllabi updates
    • Withdraw the following syllabus—(from the 2010 Midwinter CRS Education Committee meeting, per Brian)—after verification with Lori Kappmeyer, previous committee chair:
  • Syllabus for Serials Collection Management, Records Systems, and Preservation (dated 2002 in ALCTS CR/S Publications list)
    • Replace the above with the following new syllabi—(from the 2010 Midwinter CRS Education Committee meeting, per Brian):
    • Syllabus for Serials Management—(not in ALCTS CR/S Publications list)
    • Syllabus for Serials Preservation and Archiving—(dated 2007 in ALCTS CR/S Publications list)
    • Revise the following syllabi—(from the 2010 Annual CRS ER&P meeting, per Mavis):
    • Syllabus for serials cataloging (2004)
    • Syllabus for serials collection management [or development] and acquisitions (2005)
  • Withdrawn publications—A suggestion was made to create a withdrawn publications list, adjacent to the current ALCTS CRS Publications list. As an example, the NISO web site (Standards tab) has a “State” column indicating the status of the standards (e.g., published, withdrawn, superseded). A recommendation should be made to the ALCTS Publications Committee to withdraw titles from the Publications list.
  • Timeliness of publications - ALCTS reviews their publications periodically to determine timeliness:
    • Online publications—need review every two years
    • Print publications—need review every five years
  • How to get publications—The difficulty of finding good people to publish was noted. Molto said people often want to do research and publish but need to develop the skills. A webinar on this topic would be helpful (see further discussion below). There had been an ALCTS Research Committee at one time, but ceased to exist.
  • Getting ideas for research
    • List of research topics - CCS keeps a list of topics; something similar could be done for this committee.
    • Midwinter forums—A suggestion was made to hold a forum at Midwinter to generate discussion on research needed in continuing resources. Forums are held by other committees (e.g., CCS, Holdings, Standards). A facilitator, a room and a timeslot are needed.
    • Connect forums—Molto noted that Blythe had set up two forums (below) for use, but it was felt that Connect does not work well for discussion:
      • Publication/Resource List—14 titles—This list seems to duplicate the ALCTS CR/S
      • Publications list. It was suggested that we create a link from our Connect space to the ALCTS CR/S Publications site to avoid the duplication.
      • Scholarship in Progress—one submission was made to Kurt (by Molto).
    • E-forums - An E-Forum could be set up to generate discussion on continuing resource research topics. A well-written summary of the topics could then be posted on SERIALST, AUTOCAT, CONSER, and CRS for follow-up.
    • Discussion List postings - A discussion list posting requesting ideas on continuing resources research topics is another possibility. A summary could be posted to the list and to our committee page.
  • Programs at Annual—The question of the committee sponsoring programs at the ALA Annual Conference was raised.

Education

  • Webinars from SCCTP courses - Cindy Hepfer suggested at the 2010 Annual meeting that there is the possibility of CONSER and the ALCTS CRS Education, Research and Publications Coordinating Committee teaching a series of one-hour webinars on various serials topics. There would be a charge for the series. She talked with both Les Hawkins (CONSER) and Charles Wilt (ALCTS) about this, but they have not gotten back. ALCTS has been working on other webinar series (IR RDA, Preservation) and has limited help with the technical aspects.
  • ALCTS Webinar pros and cons—Presenters are paid for their presentations, but the technical support is voluntary and limits the number of webinars that can be held. Webinars provide an opportunity for people who are unable to attend ALA conferences. There is limited interaction, however, since questions must be typed in.
  • Technical support - Technical support for ALCTS webinars is provided by five people from the Continuing Education Committee, who are part of a Technical support subcommittee. CRS could possibly set up a similar subcommittee, or add people with technical skills to existing committees. ALCTS 101 is an event at ALA Annual where people with technical skills can get involved.
  • Getting ideas for education—Hepfer suggested ways to get ideas for serials education: brainstorming, keeping an eye on the environment for talent and topics, seeing what goes on at conferences and then asking people if they could do a webinar, and seeing what CCS has done (as sponsor of the RDA webinar series).
  • Webinar proposals—ALCTS has a webinar proposal form (on the ALCTS Continuing Education Committee site), which must be completed. One can also contact Pamela Bluh or Cindy Hepfer. The webinar schedule is full through the 2011 ALA Annual Conference, after which plans will begin for fall. Webinars can be advertised on AUTOCAT, SERIALST, and ALA Connect. Recent ALCTS webinars have raised considerable revenues for ALA.
  • Webinars on publishing/research—Hepfer said Pamela Bluh has been working on a webinar on publishing, but there is not enough technical support right now. Molto suggested a webinar on research.
  • Other training options—Hepfer noted that ALCTS online courses are more expensive than webinars, but provide more in depth coverage. They take place over a series of weeks. Online tutorials are another training option.

Visit from CRS Executive Committee

Paul Moeller (CRS chair) and Anne Mitchell (Secretary) visited the committee. The following topics were addressed:

  • Forms—Moeller requested that after each meeting a form be completed and sent to Anne Mitchell, the ALCTS Newsletter Online and himself concerning the committee’s activities. Interim reports are also needed (e.g., between Annual and Midwinter).
  • Publications list—Moeller noted that a publications list can be posted both on Connect and the regular ALA web site. A link from Connect to the regular web site, however, would be best. The ALCTS Publications Committee manages the web site, through Christine McConnell, in the ALCTS Office. Sion Romaine, Chair, ALCTS Publications Committee, should be contacted first.
  • Reshaping ALCTS—Moeller reported that surveys showed the desire to continue the CRS section, even though there is overlap with other sections. He does not foresee any big changes, though there may be incremental change. There will be further discussion for the long term.

Energizing the CRS ERP Committee

The following suggestions were made:

  • Planning - Formulate a plan for developing past/new ideas
  • Conference calls—Hepfer suggested conference calls as a way to involve committee members. Meetings can be scheduled through ALCTS. The CE Committee did a conference call via a webinar, which allowed them to look at a screen at the same time.
  • Committee involvement—The chair could make assignments if no one on the committee volunteers.

Standards

At the business meeting, the committee finalized details for its CRS Standards Update Forum at the 2011 ALA Midwinter Meeting, brainstormed topics and speakers for the next two forums, and discussed the experiences and observations with RDA testing.

The committee organized and facilitated the CRS Standards Update Forum. The forum is sponsored by Swets and was held on Sunday, January 8, 2011. The panel of speakers featured

  • Susan Marcin, Licensed Electronic Resources Librarian, Columbia University
  • Sara Russell Gonzalez, Physical Sciences Librarian, University of Florida.

Marcin presented “Improving Open URLs through Analytics (IOTA),” which is a two-year research project sponsored by the NISO which draws on log files from various institutions and vendors to analyze Open URL strings. Gonzalez discussed the VIVO project, an open source semantic web application, intended to facilitate networking between researchers and acts as a discovery tool. VIVO is populated with detailed profiles of faculty and researchers.

Dina Benson, Coordinator of the Institutional Repository, University of Florida, was scheduled to speak on the Encoded Archival Context: Corporate Bodies, People and Families (EAC-CPF) metadata standard, but was ill and unable to present. In her absence, Laurie Taylor, Interim Director, Digital Library Center, University of Florida, volunteered to come forward from the audience to show an example of the standard as it is been applied at the University of Virginia in its Social Networks and Archival Context (SNAC) project.

The brainstormed topics for the next update forum include the PIE-J update given by Regina Reynolds and the SERU updates given by Janet Morrow. Janet Morrow and Naomi Young volunteered to coordinate the Update Forum program at the 2011 ALA Annual Conference. Other possible discussion points included ISO 8, ISSN-L, PIRUS, how the standards process works, triples, and SERU. The favored points were PIE-J, PIRUS, how the standards process works, and SERU.

General discussion regarding RDA

Naomi was involved in informal testing with the CRCC, and found the differences between this implementation of RDA and MARC to be minimal. She noted that there are some different fields, some different terminology, but it does not seem like a real implementation of RDA. Janet Morrow agreed with Young’s findings, and reported that their catalogers could see some difference but their public service staff did not. They felt that the potential was there for more linking capacity and a more dynamic record, but that if failed to do that yet. Disappointment was expressed in that the master authority files are not even on the horizon. Charlene Chou, as one of formal testers at Columbia University, felt that it took more time to catalog which does not work with a shrinking staff. She noted that they found the RDA Toolkit difficult to use. She also felt that the authority records were strengthened with more granularities, and found it difficult to use with non-MARC metadata schemes. Her media catalogers liked it less because there were repetitive fields, it took much more work and there were no benefits. All found there to be little impact on serials.   

Council of Regional Groups

Affiliate Relations Committee

In the fall, the chair sent out a welcome message to the committee members, new and returning. Liaison assignments were transferred from the departing committee member to the new member, and other assignments were confirmed. Liaisons were requested to contact their affiliates and get updated contact information and to invite all affiliates to the Membership Meeting at Midwinter. Elaine Franco made updates to the wiki and email list and they were up-to-date as of Midwinter. At ALA Midwinter we had a brief meeting during the CRG All-Committee Meeting slot, primarily to discuss the upcoming reorganization of CRG as a response to the ALCTS strategic plan.

The committee held an e-meeting on January 19, 2011. All members except for Mary Finn attended. Louise Ratliff, Chair of CRG, also attended. We discussed the reorganization of CRG that had been decided upon at Midwinter and what it would mean for our committee members. All committee members expressed their willingness to serve during the transition period. We committed to examining our committee's mission statement and documentation to assist CRG in its transformation.

Executive Committee

During the past year the officers, committee chairs and committee members of the Council of Regional Groups (CRG) have held discussions about the mission of CRG and about its possible reorganization. At the Friday Planning Meeting on January 7, 2011, the members present made a formal recommendation to the CRG Executive Committee to dissolve the three existing committees and create a single new committee to be called the Affiliate Relations Committee. At its meeting on Sunday, the Executive Committee passed a motion to “Dissolve the Speakers’ Bureau, Continuing Education Committee, and Affiliate Relations Committee and establish a different, larger affiliates relations Committee,” effective at the end of the 2011 ALA Midwinter Meeting.

The objectives of this action are:

  • To focus our activities more effectively on the main mission of the CRG, which is to actively exchange information about current events and issues with and among the ALCTS affiliate groups;
  • To distribute our affiliate liaison assignments among a larger group of people, thereby reducing the number of groups for which each person is responsible and facilitating more effective communication;
  • To eliminate a committee (Continuing Education) for which it was ultimately not possible to define a clear role, given the changing nature of the ALCTS organization and information technology;
  • To combine the activities of the Speakers’ Bureau with the other affiliate liaison activities and create a more useful way of publicizing potential speakers for workshops and conferences;
  • To facilitate the transition of the Council from an ALCTS section organization model to a division-level committee structure.

During the CRG All-Committee Meeting on Sunday, January 9, 2011, the officers and committee members present began the detailed planning for the new organizational structure; this transition planning will continue for the next few months. One of our members volunteered to serve as Webmaster; another will maintain the listserv list which includes all CRG members and representatives from ALCTS affiliate groups. Current members of CRG committees will transfer their service to the new affiliate relations committee. Current elected officers (including those elected in the upcoming ALA election) will serve their terms. The CRG Chair-Elect (as appointing officer) will contact all current committee members about whether they wish to serve on the new affiliate relations committee after ALA Annual 2011, and for what length of term; these terms will be staggered. The Chair-Elect will also work with Charles Wilt to incorporate changes into the appointments database.

At the ALCTS Board of Directors Meeting on January 10, 2011, Louise Ratliff, Chair of CRG, announced the action of the CRG Executive Committee and explained that CRG will begin functioning after Midwinter as a single committee. During the next several weeks CRG members will decide on a name for the committee, adopt a charge, set the number of members, and continue to work with the ALCTS Executive Committee on the transition. The ALCTS Board proposed that July 1, 2012 be the effective date for the dissolution of the Council of Regional Groups and the establishment of the new division-level Affiliate Relations committee. The ALCTS Committee on Organization and Bylaws is reviewing the reorganization to determine whether or not a bylaws election by the ALCTS membership is required.   

Preservation and Reformatting Section

Program, Planning, and Publications

The following programs are moving forward for Annual 2011 in New Orleans.

  • “Planning for the Worst: Disaster Preparedness and Response in High-Density Storage Facilities”—Chair, Jennifer Hain Teper; June 25, 2011 in two parts: “High Density Storage” from 8-10am and “Local New Orleans Perspective” 10 a.m. –noon
  • “Preservation Film Festival”—Chair, Elizabeth Walters; June 25, 2011, 4-5:30 p.m.
  • “MARC 583 Field for Conservation Actions”—Chair, Steven Riel; June 26, 2011, 1:30-3:30 p.m.
  • PARS Forum: “Preservation of Modern Digitally Printed Materials” –Presenter, Daniel Burge, Image Permanence Institute (IPI); June 26, 2011, 4-5:30 p.m.

Publications in process

Two publications (most likely web publications) are in process: Planning and Construction of Book and Paper Conservation Laboratories and an updated version of the Preservation Education Directory. The group also reviewed continuing education offerings related to preservation including e-forums, webinars, and web courses; brainstormed ideas for programs for Annual 2012; and discussed how to develop a stronger community for digital preservation within ALA/ALCTS.