Committees Report on Conference Activities in Washington, D.C.

The reports below are summaries of the activities that took place during meetings of ALCTS committees held during the 2010 ALA Annual Conference in Washington, D.C. Included are groups whose reports were received by the editor as of August 1, 2010. For information on committees not shown here, see the ALCTS Committees page on the web site, or see the ALA Handbook of Organization.

Division | Acquisitions Section | Cataloging and Classification Section | Collection Management and Development Section | Continuing Resources Section | Preservation and Reformatting Section    

Division Committees

Budget and Finance (B&F)

B&F met twice during the 2010 ALA Annual Conference in Washington, D.C. Friday’s main agenda item was a review of the FY 2010 budget’s third quarter report and narrative.

ALCTS Executive Director Charles Wilt provided the Committee with a review of the FY 2010 third quarter budget report. The committee discussed various budgetary issues, including publications, membership dues, LRTS subscription renewal figures, and registration revenue. Overall, the budget was in good shape with additional revenue and expenditure postings due after the Annual Conference.

Sunday’s main agenda items included a review of the FY 2011 revised budget and pricing recommendations for e- LRTS. The committee recommended that the FY 2011 budget be presented to the ALCTS Board for approval as discussed. The group completed a discussion of subscription pricing for the new electronic version of LRTS and recommended that the pricing be presented to the ALCTS Board for approval. Mary Beth Thomson provided an update from the Budget and Planning Assembly held earlier in the day.

Continuing Education

The ALCTS CE Committee was formed in July 2009, superseding the ALCTS Education Committee. During its first year, the committee’s primary focus was on developing and assisting in the delivery of continuing education offering. In that regard, the committee was quite successful:

  • total number of e-forums held: 11
  • number of subscribers to the e-forum: +/- 1,600
  • total number of web course sessions held: 14
  • total number of web course registrants: 207
  • total number of webinars held: 16
  • total number of webinar attendees: 1,842
  • gross revenue: $51,500 (budgeted $23,000; $29,800 from webinars)
  • Sponsorships for CE: $4,000
  • Sponsors: Harrassowitz, Ingram, Berkeley Electronic Press, HF Group

Kristin Martin manages the e-forums. A Technical Support Subcommittee, chaired by Keri Cascio, provides technical support for webinars. A Web Course Subcommittee, chaired by Jordan Fields, provides support to instructors and developers for each of the web courses. CE publicity is handled by Debra Spidal.

Rather than formal relationships between the ALCTS sections and the CE committee, close working relationships are being established by CE committee liaisons that help groups and individuals identify content suitable for continuing education and provide guidance and support in developing the content into a marketable product.

A full complement of web courses has been planned for 2010–2011 including the new Fundamentals of Preservation class.

During 2010–2011, the committee will offer between twenty to twenty-two webinars on a wide range of topics including, including RDA and FRBR, Sears Subject Headings, weeding collections, institutional repositories, data sets, and writing for publication. Suggestions and proposals for webinars are welcome at any time ( a form is available online).

The following webinars have been scheduled:

  • August 18, 2010. Disaster Preparedness (number 3 in the series) presented by Nancy Kraft
  • September 29, 2010. Using Web 2.0 Applications in Technical Services, presented by Julie Swierczek
  • October 6, 2010. Buying Library Materials on the Out-of-Print Book Market, presented by Robert Holley
  • October 27, 2010. Maximizing Revenue from Selling Withdrawn Books and Unwanted Gifts, presented by Robert Holley
  • November 17, 2010. Digital Preservation: A Basic Introduction, presented by Cathy Martyniak

For additional information on upcoming events see http://www.ala.org/ala/mgrps/divs/alcts/confevents/upcoming/webinar/inde...

E-forums will resume in fall 2010, with exact dates being determined. Anticipated topics include: preparing your library for RDA, writing for publication, and metadata policies and procedures. To suggest topics for e-forums, contact Kristin Martin.

Fundraising

ALCTS Executive Director Charles Wilt updated the committee concerning Preservation Week, which is now intended to be an annual event and will take place during the last week in April 2011. Sponsorship for 2011 will be coordinated through the ALCTS Office and Fundraising Committee, perhaps with an informal liaison. A more formalized benefit for in-kind sponsorship is also needed. Wilt stressed the importance of finding a sponsor for the ALCTS President’s program. He requested that the committee clear any new sponsors with him (those who have not supported ALCTS in the past).

ALCT President Mary Case and ALCTS President-Elect Cynthia Whitacre thanked the committee for its work in obtaining sponsorships. This year’s total was $16,250, a decrease of about 12 percent. This number seemed to match the prevailing downturn in many library budgets. Susan Davis asked if it is possible and appropriate to ask for sponsorship for the ALCTS Emerging Leader. Wilt is meeting with Kim Olson Clark, ALA Development Office, in September and will inquire about this suggestion.

Davis shared the list of 2009–2010 sponsors and solicited ideas for 2010–2011.

Wilt informed the committee that the future of the Blackwells Scholarship Award is uncertain due to the merger of YBP and Blackwell Books. A sponsor ideally needs to make a commitment of about $2000 for three to five years. Should YBP choose not to continue support, Emerald or SAGE were suggested as possible sponsors.

Aisha Harvey, as incoming chair, will work with the new committee members to make more use of the group’s Connect space.

Kathy Schmidt was welcomed as an incoming committee member and was assigned the role of web liaison to Christine Taylor in the ALCTS Office. Davis and Harvey will review the old committee web pages and advise Taylor of changes, corrections, deletions.

There were no action items for the Board.

International Relations (IRC)

Report of Business

The committee heard the reports and remarks from the following IFLA representatives: John Hostage (Cataloging), David Miller (Indexing and Classification), and Sha Li Zhang (Acquisitions and Collection Development).

Membership Update

This year, the committee passed the scheduled review (petition for renewal was send to Budget and Planning Committee).

Susan Matveyeva completed her two-year term as chair. David Miller is the incoming chair. Matveyeva will remain on the committee as virtual member. Ngoc-My Guidarelli, Marielle Veve, Priscilla Yu, and Azungwe Kwembe (intern) have completed their terms on the committee. Three new members and a new intern will join the committee after the 2010 ALA Annual Conference.

Nomination of ALA/ALCTS representatives to IFLA

The committee coordinates the process of nomination and re-nomination of ALCTS members to represent ALA/ALCTS on IFLA Section Standing Committees. The ALCTS election and re-nomination process started in March 2010 and must be completed by November 10, 2010. The ALCTS election has been already completed for three representatives who were re-nominated for second terms (IFLA Acquisition and Collection Development, Bibliography, and Newspapers Sections). CCS nominated two new representatives to the IFLA Cataloguing and Classification and Indexing Sections). The election is still taking place for Continuing Resources and Preservation and Reformatting.

The Committee developed and approved guidelines for the ALCTS nominations for representatives to IFLA Section Standing Committees.

Ongoing Program: ALCTS Online Course Grant for Librarians from Developing Countries

The program helps international librarians to acquire or improve valuable professional skills. At the same time, the program promotes ALCTS online continuing education courses to an international audience. This very successful program has completed its second year. About ninety applications were received and processed in 2010. Nineteen professional librarians from fourteen developing countries were selected to attend the ALCTS fundamentals series (eight grant recipients completed the Fundamentals of Collection Development and Management Online Course; seven recipients completed Fundamentals of Electronic Resources Acquisitions, and four completed Fundamentals of Acquisitions. The number of countries represented by continent follows: Africa–four (Burundi, Ghana, Kenya, and Nigeria); Asia–seven (Bangladesh, India, Pakistan, Philippines, Sri Lanka, Thailand, and Uzbekistan), and America–three (Barbados, Costa Rica, and Guatemala). Since the launch of this program, about 300 international librarians applied for the award and fifty-four were selected by the committee as winners.

The award guidelines were revised this year. The revised version can be found on the ALCTS web site and the IRC web site.

Survey of ALCTS International Members

The committee conducted a pilot survey of ALCTS international members in June 2010. The goal was to learn more about the interests of international members in services offered by ALCTS. The questionnaire included twenty-one questions grouped by topic:

  1. Who are ALCTS international members?
  2. How and why did they join ALCTS?
  3. What ALCTS products and services do they use?
  4. Are they satisfied with their ALCTS membership?
  5. What initiatives of the ALCTS International Relations Committee (planned or current) do they consider important?

The survey was distributed to 200 ALCTS international members (the list includes 225 members, but about twenty-five email addresses could not be verified). A total of twenty-eight people responded to the survey (Canada–seventeen, Egypt–two, Qatar–one, Spain–one, Germany –one, Japan–one, Singapore –one, Ghana–one, Puerto Rico–one; two respondents skipped the question about the country of residence).

This short survey concluded in a number of interesting results. The most important one is that international members would like to be seen as a specific group of ALCTS membership. Potentially, it may open a whole line of initiatives targeted at international librarians. The number of suggestions for continuing education topics and possible new initiatives for the IRC was discussed during the IRC meeting.

Publication Initiatives

The committee updated its web page. Two groups have a presence in ALA Connect: the ALCTS International Librarians and the ALCTS International Relations Committee. The long-discussed plans to conduct and publish interviews with international librarians are still pending. The organization of an IRC subcommittee may help to move this idea forward.

Joint Initiatives with Other ALA and ALCTS Committees and IFLA Representatives

The committee posts IFLA representatives’ reports to ALA Connect and participates in the online distribution of the IFLA Sections’ newsletters at the request of IFLA representatives.

For the second year, the committee co-sponsored the ARCL IRC program at the 2010 ALA Annual Conference. The committee also participated in ALA IRRT fundraising campaign (a letter was sent to ALCTS and IRRT members asking for donation to the ALA IRRT Sixtieth Anniversary).

The committee helps the ALCTS CE Committee to promote ALCTS online programs to international librarians.

Leadership Development

The group discussed the ALCTS 101 event on which it collaborated at this conference with ANMIG and the Membership Committee. The event was lively and successful; there is energy on the part of ANMIG to continue holding an event like this annually.

The Saturday program “Membership in the Division: What’s in it for Me?” was also lively and did not duplicate the format or feel of ALCTS 101. Surprisingly, quite a few attendees were not ALCTS members; some were not even ALA members. The objective of easing ALCTS involvement for those present seemed to be met for those who attended by both these events.

The group discussed the completed ALCTS Emerging Leaders’ YouTube video project encompassing both leader tips and personal testimonials from ALCTS leaders, and the need to begin planning an EL project for 2011, possibly on some other aspect of social media use for ALCTS.

The group will continue to work toward a full online orientation for ALCTS new leaders, possibly including a webinar, now that content is becoming more robust. Content produced this year is still not very prominent on the ALCTS web site. The generic calendar updated by Charles Wilt and now available on the web site needs to be augmented by inputting specific dates each year into the Connect calendar. The group may be able to adapt an ALA organizational chart produced by another group of ELs. There is still interest in FAQs, real-time online networking opportunities, and content for departing leaders. There is a continuing desire to work with Christine Taylor and Jenny Levine on a technology orientation for new ALCTS leaders, including Connect and all other ALA-sponsored technologies for online communication.

The group will brainstorm after the 2010 ALA Annual Conference on a possible program topic for 2011.

The group met jointly with the Membership Committee and Cynthia Whitacre, ALCTS President-Elect, to discuss the possibility of merger, a feature of all three ALCTS reorganization scenarios currently under consideration. The committees generally did not feel moved to merge, though many expressed interest in continuing to work closely, perhaps even through formal liaisons.

LRTS Editorial Board

Charles Wilt gave an update on MetaPress and e-LRTS. Editorial Board Chair Peggy Johnson commented on her editor's report, which was previously distributed. Edward Swanson gave the book review editor’s report. Johnson reported on Christine Ross's marketing activities, which aim to secure additional advertisers. Johnson also reported on a project to contact authors who published in other journals on topics appropriate for LRTS. The goal is to survey some to find out why they submitted elsewhere and not in LRTS. The Board discussed offering research writer's consultations. Board member Allyson Carlyle suggested that many ALA divisions would be interested in cooperating/collaborating in doing this across all divisions; she will pursue this.

Board members’ reported on their activities to secure submissions.

Membership

The Membership Committee approved its minutes from its 2010 ALA Midwinter Meeting in Boston. The minutes of that meeting have been posted in the committee’s Connect space.

The chair welcomed Brian Falato, the committee’s current CMDS representative, to the committee. Farewells were said to Becky Ryder, former chair and committee member; Marlene Harris, CRG representative to the committee; and Martha Zimmerman, the committee’s virtual member.

Christine Taylor visited with the Committee and discussed the status of the messaging project the committee worked on this past spring. The four messages the committee created were sent to her for approval prior to the 2010 ALA Annual Conference in Washington, D.C. Taylor seemed pleased with the content of the messages and was eager to send these messages out as soon as possible. She urged the committee to consider appointing someone, perhaps the committee’s virtual member, as the contact person for the messages should anyone receiving one of these messages have questions about ALCTS, their membership status, how to become involved in ALCTS, etc.

Taylor provided the committee with information about staffing the ALA Pavilion during ALA Annual Conferences. The committee would like to use this venue to provide information about ALCTS to potential and new members. Committee member Karen Wilhoit agreed to develop ideas and a plan for staffing the ALA Pavilion during the 2011 ALA Annual Conference in New Orleans. The committee will discuss this topic again at its meeting in San Diego during the 2011 ALA Midwinter Meeting.

The committee discussed this year’s ALCTS 101, held on Friday, June 25, 2010 in the Washington Convention Center. The event was a collaborative effort between the Membership Committee, the Leadership Development Committee, and the ALCTS New Members Interest Group (ANMIG) and was deemed a success by the Membership Committee. The committee was pleased with the turnout at the event and the content of the program. Several members of the Membership Committee gave presentations at the event and all committee members participated in the networking portion of the evening.

Thinking ahead to next year’s ALCTS 101 program in New Orleans, committee members offered suggestions to improve and enhance the ALCTS 101 experience. These ideas were recorded by the chair and will be shared with the leaders of the Leadership Development Committee and ANMIG.

The majority of the committee’s meeting time was devoted to a discussion of the possible merger of the Membership and Leadership Development Committees. The committee first discussed the advantages and disadvantages of such a move as a committee and then joined forces with the Leadership Development Committee to discuss this move with them. Mary Case, ALCTS President, and Cynthia Whitacre, ALCTS President-Elect, joined the committees for this portion of their meetings. After a spirited discussion, the Membership Committee decided it would prefer to remain a separate committee and not merge with the Leadership Development Committee. The Membership Committee offered suggestions for improving communication and relations between the two committees. Suggestion included: establishing a liaison to the Leadership Development Committee and ANMIG, communicate more frequently with the leaders of both of those groups, and support their events and activities.

Due to time constraints, the chair was not able to report on the meetings she attended on behalf of the committee and ALCTS. She agreed to follow up electronically with notes from the ALCTS All Division Chairs meeting, and the ALA Membership Committee and the ALA Membership Promotion (Task Force) meeting.

Organization and Bylaws (O&B)

Organization & Bylaws met on June 27, 2010 with nine present. No virtual member participated because there was no available Internet access in the meeting room.

Reports from Interests Groups

All but one responded and could be confirmed. There was no reply from the Automated acquisitions/In-process Control Systems Interest Group. The IG met at Midwinter and chair Arthur Miller will attempt further contact.

O&B has agreed to an information plan using ALA Connect. The committee will begin to post their minutes on their Connect page. The committee will also post a calendar for timelines and action dates.

The committee set a timeline to develop a FAQ posted for public use of what committees and IGs need to do according to the ALCTS Bylaws.

The Interest Group Review Schedule (Excel) has been posted in ALA Connect.

O&B discussed reaction to the ALCTS Meetings survey.

The committee held an extended discussion of possible ALCTS reorganization.

There was a brief discussion of the proposed CMDS restructuring. Committee members agreed that it is allowed in the bylaws and that O&B should review to confirm that everything is in scope. New IGs would need to petition as usual.

O&B met with ALCTS President Mary Case and reviewed their accomplishments and discussed what they are planning, especially on ALA Connect.

Paper Series Editorial Board

The board approved minutes of its January 2010 meeting from the 2010 ALA Midwinter Meeting. Board members reviewed the report submitted to the ALCTS Publications Committee meeting on June 27, 2010 noting continued progress towards the institutional repositories publication, activities to solicit new publication proposals, and anticipated participation in the revision of the charge to the ALCTS Papers Series Editorial Board.

Information and forms were supplied to planners of three programs for 2011. The first chapter of the institutional repositories publication will be released during the first two weeks of July 2010. Ads for Papers Series publications are placed in Cognotes, LRTS, Against the Grain, AL Direct, and the ALCTS Newsletter Online.

ALCTS publications are included in the ALA approval plan. Sales figures for all ALCTS publications were reviewed. A new series of electronic open access white papers will soon be available on the Association web site; these are opinion pieces from a Midwinter symposium on the philosophy of technical services titled z687. This is an experiment; future opinion pieces may be solicited; they are anticipated to be about 1,000 words on hot topics. Another idea that emerged is that a chapter from a publication could be posted to a blog for discussion by the public.

Richard Sapon-White accepted a reappointment to the Editorial Board. Yvonne Carignan's term expires following the conclusion of the 2010 ALA Annual Conference; the Board thanked her for her service. No new appointment will be made until a revised charge is provided by the ALCTS Executive Board.

In New Business, the push to revise the ALCTS Papers Series charge as part of the overhaul of ALCTS publishing as instigated by the ALCTS Executive Board was discussed. The Paper Series Board made the following points after reviewing the current charge:

  • The publication process needs to be speeded up.
  • Perhaps the Papers Series Board could function like the LRTS Editorial Board with no need to forward manuscripts to the Publications Committee for further review.
  • What is the purpose of our publications? A record of good/sample programming through the years (but the Series is not proceedings)? To encourage research and publication among our members (part of what makes us a profession)?
  • An ALCTS Interest Groups Coordinator might help the Paper Series Board to solicit program proposals from planners before a program is over (best results come when program planners also plan for publication). The Board planned to review programming provided by ALCTS interest groups at the 2010 ALA Annual Conference and decide which groups to approach for a publication; information in varying detail is available in Connect, the program, or in ANO.

Planning

Proposal for a New Mechanism for Tracking ALCTS Strategic Objectives

The committee approved a proposal to create a new mechanism for tracking ALCTS strategic objectives, and authorized sending the proposal to the ALCTS Board as an information item.

The proposal included these points:

  • The form of the tracking mechanism will be a flexible technological tool familiar to ALCTS members. In 2010, the preferred technological form of the planning tracking mechanism is a wiki.
  • The tracking mechanism, or planning wiki(s), will be centrally and prominently located on the ALCTS Connect space. All members will be able to view the ALCTS planning wiki. A contact link will be provided, for members to comment on the contents of the planning wiki(s).
  • Links to the planning wiki(s) will be provided on pertinent pages of the ALCTS web site, including the ALCTS homepage, the ALCTS strategic planning web page, and the ALCTS Planning Committee web page, among other locations.
  • ALCTS Planning Committee members will be responsible for creating and maintaining both the structure and the content of the planning wiki(s).
  • The Planning Committee will strive to create a tool that is clear to members and minimizes duplication to the extent that wide member participation in the organization allows.
  • The specific form and/or number of planning wikis will be determined by the Planning Committee, with input from the ALCTS Board of Directors.
  • The ALCTS committee/group reporting form will be modified to include a section about strategic initiatives.

The group also established a task force, composed of both returning and new Planning Committee members, to begin work on a draft wiki to track strategic objectives. Expecting to begin work shortly after 2010 ALA Annual Conference, the task force will investigate other divisions’ practices in tracking strategic objectives, and will work closely with the ALCTS Office.

New Model for ALCTS Strategic Planning Process

Members discussed efforts to practice a new form of strategic planning, which describes strategic issues in a way that captures the challenges or conflicts our association faces, and creates an action plan to address each issue. This is difficult and the committee has only a few examples. The outgoing chair will submit a list of sample issues to jumpstart the strategic planning process scheduled to begin in the coming year.

Responsibilities of Planning Committee Members: Two Discussions

Responsibilities of Planning Committee members and their relationships with constituent groups were the subjects of two discussion topics.

At the request of incoming chair Sara Shatford Layne, each member drafted a statement of responsibilities/job description; with both members-at-large and section representatives who do not have identical roles, defining each committee position is valuable. Some of the statements of responsibilities are posted in ALA Connect. Members will send copies to Layne.

Members agreed that Layne should forward reports of their constituent or liaison groups to them. They will use the reports to identify possible strategic actions to enter into the wiki. Members also plan to make more use of ALA Connect in keeping up with their groups.

ALCTS Reorganization Scenarios

The group discussed the most recent draft scenarios, to provide guidance for the chair, in discussions of the ALCTS Board.

Other Committee Business

Following the 2010 ALA Annual Conference, the committee will review its page on the ALCTS web site, submit changes to the ALCTS Office, and assign liaison responsibilities to members-at-large.

Publications

The committee received updates from the section publications representatives and the ex-officio members representing LRTS, ANO, LMPI, and the Paper Series. Of note is CMDS' blog proposal, which should be coming online later this year. The 2010 program, "Publishing, not Perishing: Writing for Publication," coordinated by Stephen Dew, was well-attended and well-received. Peggy Johnson ( LRTS Editor) and Diane Zabel ( RUSQ editor) were the co-panelists. The committee discussed the restructuring of the publishing program, including the need to review and update the committee's charge, streamline the approval process and shift to a more digital publishing program. The committee agreed to discuss this further after the 2010 ALA Annual Conference.

Acquisitions Section (AS)    

Acquisitions Organization and Management Committee

The committee discussed the previous day’s preconference, “Taming the Licensing Tiger: New Formats, New Standards, New Challenges,” and brainstormed ideas for future programming with the hopes of getting a program on the schedule for the 2011 ALA Annual Conference in New Orleans. The general feeling was that the preconference had gone quite well, with strong presentations from all three presenters, Becky Albitz (Penn State), Tracy L. Thompson-Przylucki (NELLCO), and Bob Boissy (Springer). Carolyn Coates planned to remind the presenters that ALCTS would be interested in their future participation in webinars or online courses. Ideas for a 2011 program included creative commons licenses, open access, institutional repositories and acquisitions staff, resource sharing and acquisitions (both consortial sharing and the interface between acquisitions and interlibrary loan), print on demand, the general issues around managing staff in a time of shifting priorities and the need for retraining and new skills. It was decided that an overview of shifting roles was warranted: the who, what, why and how of acquisitions in changing times. Janet Morrow, incoming chair, volunteered to wordsmith the proposal and to fill out the program form and submit it to the Programs Committee.

Policy and Planning

Members approved minutes from the January 2010 meeting in Boston. The calendar for Acquisition Section committees and interest group reviews by the ALCTS Organization and Bylaws Committee were reviewed. Members approved changes to the Evaluation Questionnaire and made additional changes/edits that will be approved via email. Assignments for shepherding the evaluation questionnaire to two upcoming committees slated for review were given: Leadership in Library Acquisitions Award and the Nominating Committee. Members discussed the fact that the planning database has been ceased and that ideas for its replacement are being solicited.

Publications

The AS Publications Committee has four active publications in the pipeline, with strong ideas for several more:

  1. The Guide to Online Approval Plans is in very final revisions; some content and screenshots were necessitated by the Blackwell/Wiley merger. This publication should be in the ALA Publications pipeline very soon.
  2. The Guide to Media Acquisitions in Libraries is in the ALA Publications pipeline already, but has experienced a few delays. It should be out very soon.
  3. The Guide to Performance Evaluation of Library Vendors has been approved by AS Publications and has been submitted to the AS Executive Committee.
  4. The proposal for Guide to Patron-Driven Acquisitions has been approved by this committee, AS Exec, and ALCTS Publications. The author has started to write, and hopes to have a first draft before Midwinter 2011.

The author for Guide to Collecting, Analyzing and Presenting Acquisitions Data should be available to begin work on the proposal as soon as she finishes her responsibilities as AS chair on August 1.

Two authors have dropped out for personal and professional reasons. Both Ethics in Acquisitions Librarianship and Coming to Terms with your ERMS are without authors. The committee will try to recruit new authors in the coming year.

The committee also had a great brainstorming session at the 2010 ALA Annual Conference, and came up with possible subjects for future publications.

Technology

Miloche Kottman (chair) and Lai-Ying Hsiung (program chair) updated the committee on their Saturday morning meeting with the ALCTS Program Planning Committee. The committee’s program proposal for “Patron Driven Acquisition: Maximizing Technology to Control Risk” has been accepted and will take place during the 2011 ALA Annual Conference in New Orleans. Kottman agreed to identify a potential cosponsor from LITA. Hsiung agreed to speak with vendors to identify potential speakers. Hester Campbell will draft potential talking points for the identified speakers. Hsiung was welcomed as the incoming chair.

Cataloging and Classification Section (CCS)    

Cataloging: Asian and African Materials Committee (CC:AAM)

The February 3, 2010 version of the minutes of the January 17, 2010 CC:AAM meeting held in Boston during the 2010 ALA Midwinter Meeting were approved.

CC:AAM heard a report on recent activities of the Committee on Cataloging: Description and Access (CC:DA).

A draft document, forwarded from Library of Congress (LC) Policy and Standards Division (PSD), entitled "Procedural guidelines for proposed new or revised romanization tables" dated June 15, 2010 was discussed. It was decided that CC:AAM's comments were to be submitted in writing to the CCS Executive Committee for its consolidation of comments from CC:DA and CC:AAM for filing with PSD.

The LC Liaison, on behalf of PSD, brought to CC:AAM proposed revision of Thai romanization guidelines, along with a document of comments and discussion between LC, the National Library of Australia, and the University of Wisconsin. It was agreed that the chair would ask the Southeast Asia Specialist member what about recommended follow-up actions.

A written report was distributed in advance regarding recent activities of each of the following related organizations: LC; Dewey Decimal Classification; Africana Librarians Council (ALC) Cataloging Committee; Council on East Asian Libraries (CEAL) Committee on Technical Processing; Middle East Librarians Association (MELA) Committee on Cataloging; Committee on Research Materials on Southeast Asia (CORMOSEA) Subcommittee on Technical Processes; and Committee on South Asian Libraries and Documentation (CONSALD). Some questions/answers and discussion ensued.

A guest made a brief demonstration of an open source transliteration tool for Ethiopic and answered questions.

A concern had been expressed in advance in writing over direct time conflict, at the 2010 ALA Annual Conference, between a program of Asian, African, and Middle Easter Studies Section (AAMES) sponsored by the Association of College and Research Libraries (ACRL) and the CC:AAM meeting. With the understanding that the expressed concern accompanied a view that such time conflict of program(s) and meeting(s) related to Asian and African studies library operations should be avoided in the future, this issue was discussed at the meeting. Irrespective of the time conflict, in view of other commitments of some continuing CC:AAM members and guests at each ALA conference/meeting, it was decided that, in the future, CC:AAM will try to select as its first preferred meeting time slot Sunday morning (around 10 am to noon), as opposed to early Sunday afternoon, A request should be filed with the CCS Executive Committee that measures should be taken that no other ALA program/meeting related to Asian and African studies library operations will be scheduled for that time slot.

A CC:AAM member questioned CCS Executive Committee's appointment of him as one of the area specialist members inside CC:AAM responsible for representing the designated area studies cataloging community.

Comprehensive minutes of the June 27, 2010 CC:AAM meeting are being drafted by a CC:AAM intern for circulation and finalization.

Committee on Cataloging: Description and Access (CC:DA)

From the Meeting on 6/26/2010

CC:DA is positioning itself for the revision process for the just released RDA Toolkit. The representative to the JSC indicated that there is some uncertainty regarding the eventual process for revising RDA and the future makeup of the JSC itself as the constituencies committed to using RDA expands beyond those carried forward from AACR2 development and maintenance. For the time being, the operating assumption is that the proposal process will be based on that of AACR2. There are a number of issues deferred by the JSC and it is anticipated that a number of proposals will emerge from the experiences acquired during the RDA testing phase in the United States.

CC:DA has identified three high priority items. CC:DA has formed task forces to address two of them. The third has a draft proposal already, although its final form may depend on the resolution of one of the first two. These items are addressing differences between the rules for governmental and non-governmental corporate bodies; differences in the rules for Heads of State and Heads of Government; and the lack of rules addressing ruling executive bodies. The JSC representative also noted a potential deficiency in RDA’s treatment of accompanying material. He may ask for a proposal, pending further study by himself. CC:DA has also received a proposal from AALL, which it will be happy to take up pending a re-verification of the proposal against the final text as released. Other constituencies are expected to submit proposals of particular interest to their focus of work. These will be taken up as received, with the understanding that proposals emerging from the testing period may take a higher priority. It is anticipated that the next JSC meeting will take place in March or April 2011. Proposals are typically due to the JSC two months prior. Therefore, proposals will likely need to come before CC:DA in nearly finished form before the 2011 Midwinter Meeting for final discussion and then submission to JSC.

CC:DA approved the Library of Congress’ revised romanization table for Greek (May 2010) with reservations. The response to the Library of Congress’ Policy and Standards Division was submitted on June 28, 2010, and is available online.

CC:DA discussed the Library of Congress issued draft “Procedural Guidelines for Proposed New or Revised Romanization Tables.” This document emerged to address issues that became apparent as CC:DA and the Library of Congress worked through the process of revision and approval of the romanization table for Greek. The ALA response to these draft “Procedural Guidelines” will be issued through CCS, as the draft involves the interaction with the Library of Congress by two CCS committees (CC:DA and CC:AAM) on ALA’s behalf. CC:DA’s response to the CCS Executive Committee is available online. CC:DA had a concern with making sure that the “division of labor” between CC:AAM and CC:DA was clear. CC:DA’s chief concern was with greater parity between ALA and the Library of Congress within the process steps for developing truly joint ALA-LC tables in the future.

From the Meeting on 6/28/2010

The meeting opened with a presentation from the Library of Congress’ Ron Murray, entitled: “From ‘Moby Dick’ to ‘Mash-ups’: Thinking about Bibliographic Networks.” The “bibliographic networks” in the title refers to the network of bibliographic data that exists for given bibliographic resources, not the system networks employed to share bibliographic records.

The presentation opened with a video mash-up of contemporary adaptations of Moby Dick: a video clip of Orson Welles’ “Ishmael” reading, the trailer from the 1951 movie, and “Orson Whales”—animated images of illustrations overdrawn on pages of the text from two copies of the novel; accompanied by an audio mash-up of: Orson Welles’ “Ishmael” reading, other Orson Welles sound clips, Led Zeppelin’s “Moby Dick,” a “Chartres Cathedral” audio track from Welles’ documentary “F For Fake,” and others.

The presentation then moved into a discussion of modeling theory, presenting an outline for a “Cultural Heritage Resource Description Theory,” in order to explore some aspects of FRBR. An analysis was offered that bibliographic data, particularly with respect to composites and derivatives, was oversimplified if presented in terms of strictly hierarchical relationships rather than networked relationships, hierarchical trees being a subset of networks, without cross connections or “reticulations.” Two aspects of modeling were outlined—descriptive modeling to document observed phenomena, and design modeling to identify system requirements. Later in the presentation, the evolving images from the study of nuclear physics were used to show how modeling imagery has transitioned from representations that are rooted in familiar images—but do not necessarily serve well the non-visible phenomena being modeled—to more abstract imagery that better serves the modeling.

The heart of the presentation was an analysis of the manifestations of Moby Dick using a “FRBR paper tool,” consisting of a circle representing a named resource and an attached frame as an attachment for descriptions and from which could be suspended resource descriptions corresponding to the FRBR Group 1 entities (or similar entities, etc., depending on the domain, e.g. archival entities fonds, series, file, item). See figure 1.

Figure 1 image from rda

A familiar—slightly complex—example presented in FRBR paper tool form was the Schubert musical example found in the 1998 FRBR Final Report (19). See figure 2.

Figure 2 rda image

To demonstrate the ability to command a larger view of complex bibliographic relationships, a series of diagrams traced the bibliographic relationships between five significant manifestations of Moby Dick: the 1851 American edition, the 1851 London edition, and the 1851 publication of the chapter “The Town Ho’s Story” in Harpers; along with the 1970 and the 1990 critical editions. It included bibliographical relationships between these five and other manifestations, as revealed in G. Thomas Tanselle’s A Checklist of Editions of Moby-Dick 1871–1976. Also included were a significant number of manifestations lacking documented “genealogies” to these five manifestations, but that are traditionally connected in library catalogs to the work Moby Dick, through use of a uniform title.

In addition to facilitating reasoning about complex resource/description structures, the diagrams are also intended to inform information system design and implementation. Grouping and linking bibliographic data to match what is depicted in a diagram will be accomplished differently—and with varying success—across different information technologies. The diagrams then indicate what resource description capabilities are achievable for a given information technology.

PDFs of the slide show (about 25 MB) are available as well as in compressed form.

After the presentation, questions and answers were deferred for receipt of the report from ALA Publishing. The announcement that the RDA Toolkit had been issued was greeted with applause. Some further information about the future development of the Toolkit and related products, extra allowances under contracts during the transition and training phase, and information about the trial access period were provided. That report closed with a celebration of the efforts of CC:DA and its many participants in bringing RDA to fruition.

The meeting then took on somewhat the air of a Platonic symposium. Refreshments were provided courtesy of ALA Publishing. After an official cake cutting by the two present representatives to the JSC, John Attig for ALA and Barbara Tillett for LC, cake and coffee were enjoyed during the break while individuals were free to pour over the diagrams on display from Ron Murray’s presentation as well as discuss the presentation personally with him. A brief formal Q&A period with Murray took place after the break.

The meeting closed with a recognition of voting members and liaisons who are rotating off, and enumerating the new interns, voting members, and chair for the committee.

Cataloging of Children’s Materials (CCMC)

Report of Business

Annual 2010 Program

In response to Recommendation #9 made by the Steering Committee on Non-English Access, the CCMC presented a program at the 2010 ALA Annual Conference titled “Serving Non-English Speaking and Pre-literate Children: How Cataloging Can Help.” There were five speakers:

  • Angela Murphy-Walters: “The Cataloging Code as Our Shared Language”
  • Ivan Calimano: “Equitable access in cataloging children's materials”
  • Joanna Fountain: “Sources of Subject Headings in Various Languages”
  • Joan Mitchell: “Dewey as a Terminology Hub: Deriving Multilingual Terminology from Dewey Identifiers”
  • Kathleen Schroeder: “Destiny Library Manager”

The program was well attended with about forty-five people. Questions were taken from the audience following the presentations. Newberg announced that the fifth edition of Cataloging Correctly for Kids will be available in fall 2010 for purchase.

Business Meeting—2010 ALA Annual Conference

The chair called the meeting to order and each person introduced themselves.

The program for the 2011ALA Annual Conference “Still Cataloging Correctly for Kids: a look at the fifth edition and its use in these cataloging changing times” was discussed. After discussion, the program title was changed to “Children’s Cataloger’s Toy box: Using the Tools of Cataloging Correctly for Kids 5th edition.” There will be a panel discussion in a question and answer format to highlight and explain the tools available to children’s catalogers as discussed in the fifth edition of the book. The committee requested a change of time to 3:30 to 5:30 for the program. With this time change, the committee hopes to attract more people who normally would be attending other meetings.

Cataloging Survey for School Librarians Preliminary Report

Raegan Wiechert and Marilyn McCroskey. McCroskey reported a very good response. Respondents indicated that they rely heavily on CIP records, purchased their records from a vendor but edited those records extensively, and would like to see more CIP records for DVDs, audio books, mass market paperbacks, etc. Wiechert and McCroskey are writing an article and will the committee know where and when it will be published.

Other

John Attig’s report to CC:DA was discussed. He mentioned that there is no mapping in RDA to the MARC 300 physical description field to accommodate accompanying materials. This will cause serious issues for children’s materials. Attig noted that a MARC 501 “with” is available.

Continuing Education Training Materials, CCS/PCC

Update on Workshop Revisions

“Rules and Tools for Cataloging Internet Resources” has been revised to incorporate information on provider-neutral e-monograph practices; the files have been received and will be processed and posted. Minor updates to Fundamentals of Library of Congress Classification are in process.

A revision team is being assembled to revise “Fundamentals of Series Authorities,” with the primary focus of updating information on MARC tagging practices (use of 490/830 rather than 440). A revision team is being assembled for “Digital Project Planning and Management Basics,” with a target deadline of spring 2011. Minor updates to “Basic Subject Cataloging Using LCSH” will be made this fall to incorporate heading changes (such as Cookery to Cooking) and information on current practice for genre terms.

It was noted that the course content is available on iTunes U (in addition to the Catalogers’ Learning Workshop site) and that updates must be posted in both places.

Coordination with CCS Continuing Education Committee

Some of the content in CLW courses may be usefully converted to short webinars on focused topics. Examples include sessions on specific schedules in the Library of Congress Classification system. The chair will contact the CCS Continuing Education Committee to begin discussions about how to proceed.

Trainers’ Community on ALA Connect

In addition to the committee’s page in ALA Connect, a community has been created for trainers of the ALCTS/PCC courses. The site includes outlines of all of the courses, with annotations about some needed revisions. It is intended to provide a forum for discussion and feedback related to course content and delivery. Trainers received email invitations to join the community but the response has been somewhat slow; CETM decided to add all trainers and provide information on how to adjust settings.

The committee discussed ways to make greater use of the Connect community. A calendar will be added so that workshop offerings may be tracked. Guidelines/checklists for trainers preparing to teach a workshop and for course revisers will be added.

Policy and Planning

Jeannette Ho announced changes to the group’s composition. Sara Shatford Layne will be stepping down from the committee and Michael Boock’s term will expire after the 2010 ALA Annual Conference. Two new members have been assigned to this committee: Danielle Conklin (the former intern) and Kathy Wodrich Schmidt. In addition, the committee has a new intern, Catherine H. Gardiner, and a new liaison to the ALCTS Planning Committee, Kristin Lindlan.

Ho gave a report on CCS Executive Committee meetings at the conference and summarized actions taken at the Sunday afternoon meeting that affected the CCS Policy and Planning Committee (PPC). The CCS Executive Committee approved three of the four charge reviews that the PPC conducted during the past year for the following committees: the CCS Nominating Committee, the CCS Margaret Mann Citation Jury, and the CCS Policy and Planning Committee. However, the CCS Executive Committee did not approve the review that was conducted of it, since its members felt that the questionnaire they had completed and returned to the PPC did not reflect its current charge. In addition, one member of the CCS Executive Committee raised a question about whether the PPC should conduct reviews of the Executive Committee or whether they should review the entire CCS section.

The CCS Executive Committee also approved a process proposed by Ho that would give the PPC a role in reminding CCS interest groups to petition for renewal. Starting with the upcoming year, PPC-assigned liaisons will contact the chairs of interest groups that are up for renewal during a given year, according to a calendar maintained by the PPC. The liaisons will inform them that their group is up for renewal and forward a questionnaire (the same one used by for interest groups at the ALCTS division level). The chairs would be required to return the completed questionnaires to CCS PPC prior to Midwinter, in accordance with the timeline of the division-level interest groups. The PCC would then follow up on things that need clarification and forward the final questionnaire to CCS Exec, which would decide whether to renew the groups at the Annual Conference.

Ho also reported that she had forwarded the final version of the sample Intern FAQ/Guidelines for ALCTS Cataloging and Classification (CCS) that the PPC had written prior to the 2010 ALA Annual Conference. The CCS Executive Committee determined that the purpose of this document is to provide sample expectations of CCS interns in order to assist CCS committees who may be interested in drafting guidelines for their own interns. She reported that at the CCS Executive Board meeting, it was stated that the chair of CCS Executive Board would forward it to the various committees after the conference.

Layne reported on the ALCTS Planning Committee’s activities. A wiki-like replacement for the ALCTS strategic planning database is being planned in which ALCTS Planning Committee members would enter items in the database based on reports from CCS committee chairs. The ALCTS Planning Committee is exploring a more flexible approach to strategic planning and will maintain a list of current issues that need to be addressed. This list would be updated over time, as new issues arise from the various sections of ALCTS. She also reported on the status of the ALCTS reorganization scenarios and the group spent some time discussing them.

The group examined a draft job description for the CCS representative to the ALCTS Planning Committee that Layne prepared. One of the recommendations from CCS PPC’s review of its own charge was to prepare job descriptions for the CCS representatives to ALCTS Planning and Organizational and Bylaws Committees, as well as the chair of CCS PPC in order to document their roles and responsibilities in relation to each other. The group found the draft of the CCS representative to ALCTS Planning acceptable as written.

The group examined the calendar of future CCS committee charge reviews and interest group renewals, as well as the individual PPC members assigned to these tasks. Some adjustments were made to individual assignments based on when certain members’ terms on the committee were expected to expire. In addition, some changes to scheduling of committee charge reviews were proposed to accommodate last year’s addition of the new Continuing Education Committee and Recruitment and Mentoring Committee.

In the upcoming year, the CCS PPC will remind and assist four interest groups to petition for renewal: Catalog Management, Cataloging and Classification Research, Cataloging Norms, and MAGERT/Cartographic Cataloging. There will also be one committee charge review of the Joint PCC/CCS Committee on Continuing Education Training Materials, in addition to a possible repeat of the CCS Executive Committee Review that was not approved this year. Ho, the chair, will send out the committee assignments for these reviews and petition renewals after the conference. She will also follow up with the chair of the CCS Executive Committee to determine whether the CCS Executive Committee charge review should be repeated, and to clarify how the CCS Executive Committee members prefer that it be conducted differently from last year.

Recruitment and Mentoring

The committee discussed the use of Google forms for the hosting of Mentoring Survey. Ideas for recruitment were also discussed. Amanda Ros will attend a session on recruitment and will report back ideas.

Research and Publications (RPC)

Mark Braden will soon be submitting to the committee his bibliographic essay "Changing Roles of Professionals." The committee discussed the need to recruit authors for other essays, both on new topics and to add essays in established topics, such as the cataloging of electronic resources (the last of which covered 2005–2006).

The committee sponsored the forum "Cataloging and Beyond: The Year of Cataloging Research." Members discussed the possibility of a follow-up program and will submit a proposal to the CCS Executive Committee for approval for the 2011 ALA Midwinter Meeting.

Members also discussed establishing a rotation of programs for new librarians on research methodologies and similar topics. The committee plans to seek co-sponsorship from within ALCTS, including the Cataloging Norms Interest Group, the Cataloging and Classification Research Interest Group, and outside ALCTS, including the New Members Round Table, the Library Research Round Table, LITA, and RUSA.

Subject Analysis (SAC)

Since the 2010 ALA Midwinter Meeting in Boston, the Subject Analysis Committee (SAC) has continued to be active, primarily on the CCS-SAC mailing list. Email traffic during the period between the 2010 Midwinter Meeting and 2010 Annual Conference increased by 657 percent over the same period in the previous year (2009).

Several pieces of business needed to be addressed immediately after the 2010 ALA Midwinter Meeting, including: sharing answers to questions raised at Midwinter; reviewing the Midwinter meeting minutes; general information sharing.

In addition, two larger projects were begun. These are addressed below.

SAC/LC Free-floating Subdivision Review

One of the larger projects was a review of the LCSH free-floating subdivisions with Library of Congress (LC). The first step in this project was recruiting volunteers and developing a process for the joint SAC/LC effort. After reviewing a proposal that Janis Young, Policy and Standards Division at LC developed, the SAC chair organized a three-phase process to divide the work into manageable chunks. In Phase One, volunteers identified all of the categories listed among the subdivisions found in SHM: H1095 memo. In Phase Two, all of the free-floating subdivisions in H1095 will be placed into the categories developed in Phase One. In Phase Three, another group of volunteers will examine all of the free-floating subdivisions to make recommendations as to:

  • which subdivisions are obsolete and could be cancelled
  • which subdivisions are nearly synonymous and may be combined
  • whether new patterns headings are needed
  • which subdivisions may need to be revised or reworded.

Phase One of this project was completed as of June 2010. Six volunteers (Jimmie Lundgren, Debbie Ryszka, J. J. Jacobson, Gertrude Koh, John A. Maier, and Maxine Sherman) examined portions of the H1095 memo to create a list of the categories identified in the scope notes for each free-floating subdivision. The chair collected those lists, from which a master list of categories could be developed. Duplication was a major issue while reviewing the collected lists. After a simple de-duplication of identical categories, the master list dropped from 943 to 545 categories. More work was necessary because some lists combined multiple categories into one and those needed to be decoupled. Some lists also included concepts that were not actual categories, but instead were part of the scope notes as conditions of use. These also had to be removed. When this review was finished, which entailed consulting the H1095 memo to examine how each category was presented each time it appeared, 352 categories remained.

Phase Two of the project, as originally designed, entailed another larger group of volunteers to create tables for each of the categories, and to begin assigning all of the headings from H1095 into the appropriate categories. Due to the surprisingly large number of categories that remained and the intensive work required to de-duplicate the list (consulting each location where the category was found, identifying other uses of similar terminology, identifying a surprisingly large number of single-use categories, noticing semantic differences in how the categories were expressed, and documenting all of this during the de-duplication process), the chair found that Phase Two was nearly complete after performing this Phase One task. After consultation with LC PSD, it appears they can begin moving forward with the spreadsheet that has already been created, and that a formal Phase Two is not actually necessary.

The Phase Two spreadsheet (containing the master list of categories, where the categories appear in the H1095 memo, related categories, possible concerns/recommendations, and miscellaneous notes) will be shared with the Phase One volunteers and the entire CCS-SAC email list after the 2010 ALA Annual Conference for review and comment. It will also provide some context for the beginning of Phase Three. The last phase focuses more on the subdivisions themselves (rather than usage categories) will begin after the 2010 ALA Annual Conference. The chair hopes that Phase Three will be completed by the end of summer or early fall 2010.

LCGFT Preconference Proposal for ALA Annual 2011

The second major project undertaken was the development of a preconference proposal for the 2011 ALA Annual Conference. LC PSD approached the SAC chair in the spring to determine whether SAC was interested in sponsoring a preconference workshop addressing the application and development of the new Library of Congress Genre/Form Terms for Library and Archival Materials (LCGFT). The chair took the discussion to the CCS-SAC electronic discussion list. The responses were generally assenting, although two list members were concerned about the time needed to prepare. Because this preconference is to be based on materials that have already been developed at the Library of Congress, the majority of the work required from SAC will be administrative. Since SAC members and list participants expressed great support for a workshop on genre/form terms, the chair moved forward with PSD to develop the proposal. Due to ALA/ALCTS requirements, the proposal was submitted electronically to ALCTS Program Committee before it was presented to and approved by the CCS Executive Board (which occurred on June 25, 2010). The proposal was presented on June 26, 2010 to the ALCTS Program Committee. As of this time, we are awaiting their decision.

Activities at the 2010 ALA Annual Conference, Washington, D.C.

The ALA Annual meetings held June 27 and 28, 2010 contained reports from the following subcommittees, representatives, and liaisons:

  • Sears List of Subject Headings
  • LC 's Policy and Standards Division
  • Dewey Decimal Classification
  • Music Library Association
  • Art Libraries Society
  • Subcommittee on FAST
  • IFLA
  • MARBI
  • Subcommittee on Genre/Form Implementation
  • SACO- at-Large

At the Sunday meeting, in addition to the standard reports, the SAC Faceting Task Force was established to explore the use of the faceting concept in modern times. Concerns were raised by committee members that the term “faceting” is currently being used in ways that no longer correspond with long term definitions of the concept in the subject analysis area. The TF will be exploring these issues after the 2010 ALA Annual Conference. The TF is chaired by Scott Opasik. Sherman Clarke, Stephen Hearn, Ed O’Neill, Molly Poremski, and Janis Young are members. More volunteers may be recruited through the CCS-SAC electronic discussion list.

At the Monday meeting, in addition to the standard reports, the Subject Analysis Research and Presentations Working Group was formed. Its purpose is to monitor LIS literature for interesting pieces of subject analysis literature throughout the year. At each ALA meeting, the group will provide a report (summaries or annotated bibliography) on articles, books, reviews, research reports, etc. of note. The group will also be responsible for providing suggestions for the SAC Monday Presentation Series. The working group is chaired by Linda Ballinger. Members include Debbie Ryszka and Rocki Strader. More volunteers may be recruited through the CCS-SAC discussion list.

As part of the SAC Monday Presentation Series, Marcia Zeng, Kent State University, and Co-Chair of the IFLA Working Group on Functional Requirements for Subject Authority Records (FRSAR) gave a presentation entitled "FRSAD: Functional Requirements for Subject Authority Data.” This presentation, describing the development and structure of the FRSAD model, was well attended; a lively discussion followed the formal presentation.

Collection Management and Development Section (CMDS)    

Administration of Collection Development (ACD)

The committee sponsored the program “Multiple Formats and Copies in a Digital Age: Acceptance, Tolerance, Elimination” on Saturday, June 26. RUSA CODES/STARS Cooperative Collection Development co-sponsored the program. Over 200 people attended the session. Speakers Roy Ziegler (Florida State University), Bob Kieft (Occidental College) and Doug Way (Grand Valley State University) spoke about trends and predictions relating to the future of print in libraries. They used case studies from their own institutions to provide examples of how to handle difficult decisions and the importance of open communication throughout the process.

Kathy Tezla visited the committee to explain the new structure for CMDS and the timeline for implementation of the new structure.

The Administration of Collection Development Committee has been approved to plan a program for the 2011 ALA Annual Conference. Incoming chair Cindy Shirkey met with the ALCTS Program Committee on behalf of the ACD. The topic for the program will be purchase on demand through interlibrary loan. The committee members brainstormed topics, questions to ask, and speakers to invite.

Committee members also engaged in a general discussion about issues facing collection development librarians. Discussion topics included space, retention of materials, and institutional priorities.

Collection Assessment

Committee members were reminded of the CMDS Collection Assessment Forum

“Collection Evaluation during the Economic Crisis: Case Studies in Academia."

Kathy Tezla, CMDS Chair, provided an update on the CMDS reorganization.

The committee discussed the newly created “Best Practices for Collection Assessment” wiki and identified topics for the wiki. Topics included (List by Topic and/or Format)

  • Evaluation- Print, E-books, Serials, Databases
  • Weeding- Print, E-books, Serials, Databases; include methods (CREW, etc.)
  • Professional Resources/Articles/ Literature review
  • Tools/Technology
  • Working with faculty
  • Public, academic, special libraries
  • Considerations for public libraries
  • Collection Development Policies
  • Creating? Examples?
  • Key points to include regarding assessment

The final agenda item was a discussion of possible future programs and forums. The committee came up with two ideas for programs and decided to put the digitization program on hold. The first program would address “Managing Assessment Data” and would address how libraries work with usage data, organize the data and apply the data in the decision making process. The committee will submit a proposal to the ALCTS Program Planning Committee for the 2011 ALA Annual Conference in New Orleans. The second program idea involves assessing the “Big Deal” and would address assessment of usage, cutting journals collections, etc.

Education

The major agenda item was discussion of both responsibilities and process for updating FCDM content. The liaison to FCDM from the ALCTS Continuing Education Committee met with the committee to discuss roles. In the fall, the committee will begin the process for updating the bibliographies/suggested reading lists in FCDM. Committee members also discussed the current state of webinars in development and future webinar ideas; and strategies for keeping new virtual members involved in committee activities.

Publications

Chair Stephen Dew welcomed the group and noted that three members will be leaving the committee at the conclusion of the 2010 ALA Annual Conference (Harris, Lev, and Ziegler) and three new members will be added (Anna DeVore, Edward Liner, and Michael Levine-Clark). The minutes from the 2010 ALA Midwinter Meeting were approved.

Sudden Selector Update

Editor Helene Williams distributed copies of a spreadsheet that provided an update on the Sudden Selector manuscripts and proposals, and she provided a brief report on each item. The final manuscripts for the Biology and Chemistry guides are almost complete. Progress is being made on the first drafts of the manuscripts for English, Geography and GIS, Children’s Literature, and Physics. All of these manuscripts are due by the end of the year. Proposals are expected to be submitted over the next few months for the following subjects: Engineering, Music, Government Publications, Political Science, Romance Languages, and Art.

As Editor, Williams reviews the first draft of each manuscript when it is submitted (before the manuscript is forwarded to the whole committee). She also gets an outside reader to review the first draft of each manuscript. Williams requested that a committee member also serve as a reader for the first draft of each manuscript. The Committee agreed to this request. Jim Dooley will serve as the reader for Physics or Geography/GIS (whichever is submitted first), and Jennifer Laherty will serve as the reader for Children’s Literature. Other volunteer readers will be solicited as manuscripts near completion.

Ellen Safley, representing the ALCTS Continuing Education Committee, met briefly with the committee, and suggested that the committee encourage Sudden Selector authors who have completed their manuscripts to develop an ALCTS webinar on their subjects. The committee agreed that this would be a good practice, and Williams agreed to communicate this with authors as they complete their manuscripts. Williams will contact the authors of the Chemistry and Biology guides about the potential of doing a webinar. Since the subjects are so closely related, the authors might be interested in doing a webinar together, combing the two subjects.

At Williams’ suggestion, the committee discussed the recruiting of and qualifications for Sudden Selector authors. The committee agreed that an author should have experience as a selector in the subject area and should be familiar with the resources, services, and issues involved. In some instances, new LIS graduates have volunteered or been encouraged to become Sudden Selector authors. The committee recommended that, should a new or relatively inexperienced librarian enquire about being a Sudden Selector author, that individual should be encouraged to find an experienced co-author, who could bring the perspective and knowledge needed to the task of writing a thorough guide.

Using ALA Connect for Committee Work

Dew suggested that the committee try using ALA Connect this year when reviewing proposals and manuscripts. The committee agreed that it was worth trying. The CMDS-Pub discussion list will still serve as a primary venue for communication, but ALA Connect should serve well as a venue for reviewing documents and sharing comments with everyone.

Proposal for a Collection Management and Development Blog

At the 2010 ALA Midwinter Meeting, the committee proposed the creation of a blog or Web space to provide information and support for collection managers and collection development librarians. At the Midwinter Meeting, Dew took the issue to CMDS Executive Committee, which agreed that it was a good idea to pursue. He also took the issue to the ALCTS Publications Committee, which recommended that the CMDS Publications Committee submit an ALCTS Publications Proposal for a formal process of approval.

Prior to the 2010 ALA Annual Conference, Dew distributed a draft of a proposal, and to give the committee an idea of how the blog might look, he included links to blogs supported by ACRL and RUSA: http://acrlblog.org/ and http://rusa.ala.org/blog/

The committee agreed to pursue the creation of a Collection Management and Development Blog. Harris agreed to serve as blog master, a position that would need to be an ex-officio member of the CMDS Publications Committee. The other committee members would serve as an editorial board for the blog, contributing regularly and soliciting contributions from other CMDS members and practitioners in the field. Dew will revise the proposal and distribute it to the committee for review soon after the conclusion of the 2010 ALA Annual Conference.

Emerging Research in Collection Management and Development Forum

The Emerging Research in Collection Management and Development Forum took place during the 2010 ALA Annual Conference on Sunday, June 27, 4–5:30 pm in the Washington Convention Center. Peggy Johnson, LRTS Editor, has asked that the committee always encourage our Forum presenters to turn their presentations and research into manuscripts that can be submitted to LRTS. Dew did this for both presenters this year.

After the 2010 ALA Midwinter Meeting, the ALCTS Office approved the Forum as an annual event, but ALCTS and the CMDS Executive Committee have considered moving the Forum to the 2011 Midwinter Meeting instead of the 2011 Annual Conference. The committee discussed that option, and agreed that a forum at the Annual Conference was preferable. Dew took that recommendation to the CMDS Executive Committee. The Executive Committee agreed that the Forum would be held at the 2011 ALA Annual Conference.

The committee reviewed a draft of an announcement for the 2011 Forum. Dew will revise the draft and send it to the committee for further review soon after the 2010 ALA Annual Conference.

Anne Sleeman, ALCTS Papers Series Editor, contacted Dew and suggested that, should our pool of Forum proposals contain seven-or-more good proposals, the committee should consider recommending that those authors work with her to prepare manuscripts for a special volume of the ALCTS Papers Series. The committee will keep this in mind during the review of the proposals.

Continuing Resources Section (CRS)    

Acquisitions

Discussion of 2010 Program- Clint Chamberlain

Chamberlain encouraged everyone to attend “Open to Change: Open Source and Next Generation ILS and ERMS.” The program explored thinking outside the out-of-the-box as the panel members discussed the latest developments in open source library applications. The panel will addressed how next-generation technology, open source projects, and the widespread sharing of home-grown solutions can help change the game in acquisitions and e-resource management.

The panel consisted of: Galadriel Chilton, Electronic Resources Librarian, University of Wisconsin - La Crosse; Bill Erickson, Vice President of Software Development and Integration, Equinox Software; and Robert H. McDonald, Associate Dean for Library Technologies and Executive Director, Kuali OLE at Indiana University.

The committee discussed future programs. The 2011 program could be the basis for generating “Best Practices.” An e-forum could follow the conference, followed by a preconference Acquisitions Institute (2012), which would include publisher and agents as well as librarians.

The committee suggested the following topics: publisher mergers; serial evaluation projects (pros and cons); the future of the “journal”; open access; e-packages (are they a thing of the past?); Access: Publisher Procedures-Library Processes, How the Agent Fits; Best Practices: Access and Renewal. LITA was suggested as a co-sponsor.

Committee on Holdings Information

General Announcement and Committee Business

Committee membership for 2010–2011

Steve Knowlton and Margi Mann are leaving the committee after the 2010 ALA Annual Conference in Washington, D.C. The following three new members, Sandy Chen (Clarion University), Myrtle Myers (OCLC) as a virtual member, and Salina Lin (Iowa University) have been appointed to the committee. Their terms will begin July 1, 2010. Cathy Weng, Heather Staines, and Julie Su will continue on the committee.

Committee Resource Page in ALA Connect

Steven Knowlton briefly reported how he compiled the Resource Page and posted it in ALA Connect. He then sent the link Christine Taylor of ALCTS to include on the ALCTS web site. Knowlton will prepare a brief procedure on handling the Committee’s Resource Page since he will be concluding his term on the committee.

A lively discussion ensued regarding appropriate places for various resources and the headings used for those resources. It was decided that KBART will be moved to Standards section. The heading “Data Standards” and “Holdings Information Projects in Libraries” will be changed to “Standards and Best Practices” and “Holdings Information in Libraries” respectively.

Holdings Update Forum–Logistics

Julie Su reviewed the logistics of committee’s Holdings Forum at the 2010 ALA Annual Conference. It was noted that Jorgen Madsen, Ex-Libris Primo Product Manager, would replace Oren Beit-Arie discuss Primo local holdings.

CONSER update

Les Hawkins reported that issues related to making wider use of MARC holdings in OCLC was disused at the May CONSER operation meeting. Topics related to identifying local preservation, digitization, or access information on CONSER bibliographic records have also been addressed in the larger community. Holdings related projects include: Registry of Digital Masters Working Group Guidelines, MARC 583 for print archiving White paper, Google Books records generated by OCLC eContent Synchronization Program with 856 fields in place.

In addition, progress has been made in the SCCTP holdings program. A new version of the training materials which can be used for online as well as face-to-face training has been completed. Several Holdings workshops were given recently including one given at the 2010 ALA Annual Conference in Washington, D.C.

Program ideas for the 2011 ALA Midwinter Meeting

Topics for Midwinter forums were discussed. Topics such as Z39.71 new review, development of KBART testing (a possible joint venture with the Serials Standards Committee), serials coverage provided by aggregators, utilization of locally generated mash-up metadata, etc. were raised for consideration. In addition, the committee will explore the possibility of collaborating with other committees to sponsor Midwinter or Annual forums.

Committee Webmaster

The committee’s old documents, such as its charge, history, membership, minutes of previous meetings, etc., need to be migrated to ALA Connect from the ALCTS web site. Julie Su will contact ALCTS for details. Sandy Chen, an incoming member, volunteered to be the webmaster for next year.

Reshaping ALCTS

Connie Foster, ALCTS CRS Chair, clarified some questions from the committee regarding the difference between an interest group and a committee. An interest group can be formed with a petition from a minimum of ten people whereas a committee is more formal and follows established ALCTS guidelines. ALCTS committee activities are carefully documented and reviewed. There are also structural differences between the two. Committee members are appointed with fixed terms. An interest group has only chair and vice chair/chair-elect.

Foster and Cindy Hepfer joined the discussion on the reshaping ALCTS document. In response to the concern of the future of the Continuing Resources Section in some of the proposed scenarios, Foster noted that although CRS does not exist in the current blue scenario, it is possible that a new scenario might be proposed based on the survey results. ALCTS officers are looking at all possible reshaping options and solutions. Streamlining could also be introduced as overlapping efforts are seen in various places. It is not certain that any decision will be made at the 2010 ALA Annual Conference in terms of reshaping initiatives.

The committee’s holdings forum “The Next Generation OPAC: Making the Most of Local Holdings Data” was successful. Matt Goldner (OCLC), Jorgen Madsen (ExLibris), and Abhishek Jain (Google) were the speakers; about fifty-five people attended.

Continuing Resources Cataloging

The Continuing Resources Cataloging Committee hosted a forum on Monday, June 28, 2010 at the Washington Convention Center. Approximately 100 attendees heard news and updates from ISSN Coordinator Regina Reynolds, CONSER Coordinator Les Hawkins, and Nancy Poehlmann, the Continuing Resources Section’s CC:DA Liaison. Outgoing Chair Christopher Walker moderated a special panel on RDA Testing of Bibliographic Records for Serial Resources.

Tina Shrader, a representative from the National Agricultural Library on the Task Group coordinating the official testing, presented an overview of the official test of RDA by the three national libraries and other participants, including the goals of the test, the methodology, the rationale for the selection of official test participants, the timeline and documentation. She distributed an extensive bibliography for those interested in learning more about the test or about RDA.

Renette Davis (University of Chicago), shared steps taken at her institution to begin to orient staff to the proposed code and to prepare them for participation in the official testing of RDA, including sample comparisons of AACR2 and RDA approaches to the same elements of description.

Incoming CRCC Chair Jennifer Young (Northwestern University) led a brainstorming session on how interested catalogers and institutions might participate in RDA testing of serial records and provide feedback to each another and to the official test partners. This would augment the overall test experience with a better representation of the complexities of serials cataloging when the results of the test period are evaluated.

Both the outgoing and incoming CRCC chairs attended the section's Executive Committee meeting, where they voiced support for the general consensus of section leadership, in reply to Division President Mary Case's questions for the ongoing need for a Continuing Resources unit in the ALCTS structure.

Education, Research, and Publications

The committee met for the first time as the Education, Research and Publications Coordinating Committee. After a brief discussion of the minutes from the 2010 Midwinter Meeting and review of the agenda items from that meeting that had been accomplished prior to the 2010 ALA Annual Conference, the discussion centered on ideas for actively engaging with the CRS community within the context of the committee’s charge. Ideas generated included:

  1. Creating a survey to learn what topics our constituency would like to see updated or created as publications and/or webinars.
  2. Posting calls to Serialist and other relevant listservs soliciting authors, editors and presenters.
  3. Develop webinars on committee-conceived topics, e.g., “When to analyze?,” “What is a series?,” What is a serial?,” “The Union List,” “Changes in publisher and place of publication,” “ARL statistics,” etc.
  4. Consider requesting that ALCTS CRS Standards Committee revise the Serials Standards Updates Forum, and solicit updates to other existing publications from qualified colleagues.
  5. Learn from CONSER whether SCCTP training could be developed into a webinar series, and whether the CONSER Standard Record could be treated in a webinar.
  6. Learn from the ISSN Center whether a “Fundamentals of ISSN” course would be viable.
  7. Continue communicating with other CRS committees regarding ideas for programs.
  8. Compile a list of links to major resources, albeit carefully, so as not to compete with excellent resources already in existence, such as Tools for Serials Catalogers.”

The committee also determined that at least one member should take a webinar training course.

Addendum

The Guide to Managing Microforms is still in the works, and a draft may be extant by the 2011 ALA Midwinter Meeting.

Policy and Planning

The Committee met and discussed the following topics, establishing specific action items for each one.

CRS Committees

Action item: document origin and history (when formed and why (if applicable), any name changes, history, composition, etc.) for each committee within CRS.

The timeline for completion is by end of summer (August 31, 2010).

Action item: Assign committee members to CRS committee to gather information and serve as a liaison between the Policy and Planning Committee and each CRS committee.

Action item: Liaisons will work with CRS committee chairs to ensure there is a current copy of each committee’s charge in the following places: ALA Connect public page and their ALCTS web pages. They will also ensure that the ALCTS web site and Connect space contain matching information (check for conflicts).

ALCTS Scenarios

Action item: read and be aware of coming possible changes outlined in the Scenarios.

ALCTS Strategic Plan

Action item: ensure the section is in compliance with the larger ALCTS plan as laid out in the Strategic Plan.

Research and Publications Coordinating Committee

Action item: Support the committee development (such as fine tuning the charge, etc.)

ALAConnect space for Policy and Planning Committee

Action item: make our Connect space a model, document for what it is used (public and private space), etc.

Action item: Create documentation for committees on using ALCTS web site versus Connect space. What is the purpose of each space?

Action item: Create a document delineating best practice ideas regarding what content is placed where (discussion versus document versus post, etc.) and how to comment/post/etc. in the course of committee work. Include what types of documents should be added to the Connect space to ensure continuity of information from one year to the next.

Action item: Create documentation on managing email alerts within Connect for committee work.

Standards

The committee finalized details for its CRS Standards Update Forum during the business meeting. Members also brainstormed topics and speakers for the next two forums, and discussed the proposed changes within ALCTS.

The Committee organized and facilitated the CRS Standards Update Forum. The forum is sponsored by Swets and was held on Sunday, June 27, 2010. The panel of speakers featured Grace Agnew, Regina Romano Reynolds, and Brian Green. Agnew presented on the Institutional Identifier, a forthcoming NISO standard that includes a globally unique identifier and metadata sufficient to identify an institution involved in the digital information supply chain. Reynolds illustrated practices in electronic journal presentations and the problems created by hidden titles and gave an overview of the recently established NISO working group that will be looking at best practices in the area of title presentation. Green provided a look at the e-book supply chain, discussed the International ISBN Agency's recommendations for the assignment of ISBNs to e-books, and compared the different positions of ISBN and ISSN with regard to digital publications.

About sixty-five to seventy people attended the forum. There was an active question and answer period following the presentations. The committee received a lot of positive feedback from forum attendees at the event and through the feedback forms.

Preservation and Reformatting Section (PARS)    

Preservation Standards and Practices (PSP)

Introductions/Farewells

Ian Bogus of Yale University (soon to be University of Pennsylvania) will be the PSP Chair for 2010–2011. The outgoing chair requested that members verified their contact information on the member spreadsheet.

Reports from Interest Groups and Guests

Book and Paper Interest Group

The group had thirty-seven attendees at it s meeting. Laura Bedford is the new co-chair.

Digital Preservation Interest Group

There was not a representative present to report on the group’s activities. Amy Rudersdorf was mentioned as the possible new co-chair.

Digital Conversion Interest Group

There were nineteen attendees at the group’s meeting. A new chair/co-chair is needed. Cassandra Gallegos and Kim Peach were suggested as possible candidate.

Myron Chace will email to the chair any previous electronic reports for possible archiving via the PARS web site or Connect.

Myron Chace has been the long time liaison to the group, and hopes to cycle off. Laurie Taylor and George Blood were suggested as replacements. Per the PARS Executive Committee, the AIIM liaison is an official role appointed by the Executive Committee. Outgoing PARS chair Karen Brown will contact ALCTS President Mary Case to follow up.

Programs (Annual 2010) Update

Print in the Age of Mass Digitization

There were 350+ attendees and the program went very well.

Preservation Research and Testing at the Library of Congress

There were 100 RSVPs received, and eighty attendees showed up. The program went very well.

There was a minor snafu in that the ALCTS Fundraising Committee solicited sponsorship of the event (although organized and held at LC). NEDCC was willing to sponsor, but the ALCTS Fundraising Committee did not relay that information to program chair until early June after program had been announced. ALCTS ended up refunding and apologizing to NEDCC.

Update on Reducing the Size of PSP

Four members responded to the chair’s request to cycle off early: Lene Palmer, Kurt Blythe, Gary Frost, and Haiyun Cao. The overall consensus was that the smaller size should make this committee more lithe, nimble, and decisive.

New Business

There was a request for the committee to co-sponsor a program in name only to help publicize it. Beth Doyle relayed that her colleague Danette Pachtner (Film, Video, and Digital Media Librarian at Duke University) has requested PARS co-sponsorship of a tribute program for filmmaker Helen Hill at the 2011 ALA Annual Conference in New Orleans. The PARS Executive Committee agreed this is a good idea. The request came from the Video Round Table.

A suggestion was made to the PARS Executive Committee to explore recording PARS programs and interest group meetings for posting and sharing on web. The feedback received from the PARS Executive Committee is that this may be complicated, but ALA is looking for new ways to raise funds. A possibility is to record programs and make them available for continuing education opportunities.

The committee discussed the recently published Metadata Standards and Guidelines for Digital Audio (March 2010). The PARS/MLA Audio Metadata Task Force who authored this document has asked PSP to assume ongoing responsibility for maintaining this document

A request was received from the Intellectual Access to Preservation Metadata Interest Group to establish a working group on DIPs (Dissemination Information Package). George Blood and Preston Cabe have a list of possible members

To-do for Midwinter 2011

A suggestion was made from PPIG to plan a forum/program (or possible BPIG, DCIG topic on Standards for Print on Demand.

The committee needs to provide for ongoing stewardship of Metadata Standards and Guidelines for Digital Audio.

The chair will follow up on the creation of the DIPs working group.

Program, Planning, and Publications

Report of Business

The committee heard reports from liaisons to ALCTS Planning, ALCTS Continuing Education, ALCTS Programs, and the Promoting Preservation Interest Group.

Reviewed successful Annual 2010 PARS programs:

  • Preservation Forensics and Document Optical Archaeology at the Library of Congress
  • National Preservation Week: Pass it on!
  • Strategic Future of Print Collections in Research Libraries
  • PARS Forum: The Pennsylvania Study

Reviewed PARS program proposals for Annual 2011:

  • Planning for the Worst: Disaster Preparedness and Response in High-Density Storage Facilities–Jennifer Hain Teper
  • Preservation Film Festival–Elizabeth Walters
  • PARS Forum: Digital Hardcopy Identification and Preservation–Daniel Burge

Potential ideas for Annual 2012 PARS programs:

  • How to Plan for Preservation Funding
  • Advocating for Preservation

Action Items for the PARS Executive Committee:

  • Form a task force to investigate standards for print-on-demand books made from digital surrogates or request that the PARS Standards & Practices Committee investigate further.
  • Form a task force to work on the Preservation Education Directory (online publication).