Event Preview: Annual 2010

Interest Group Meetings

Access to Continuing Resources Interest Group

The ALCTS CRS Access to Continuing Resources Interest Group invites you to attend “Re-thinking Library Business Models for Licensed Digital Content under Mobile and Cloud Computing” on Sunday, June 27, 2010, 4–5:30 pm at the Marriott Hotel, Grand BR III.

The exponential growth of mobile devices has required libraries, vendors and publishers to rethink how to enhance the user experience with licensed digital collections. Google Editions allows the physical download of the digital into something tangible, challenging our notion of "ownership." How will we going to rewrite business rules?

Speakers:

  • Melissa Blaney, Publications Division Lead Web Analyst, American Chemical Society
  • Chris Palma, Strategic Partner Development Manager, Google.
  • Michael Porter, Communications Manager, WebJunction

For more information, please contact Lai-Ying Hsiung or Heather Staines.

Authority Control Interest Group

The Authority Control Interest Group will meet Sunday, June 27, 1:30–5:30 pm at the Hilton, Lincoln Room. The discussion topic is “Authorized Genre, Forms and Facets in RDA.

Developments with RDA and next generation catalogs impact the use of authorized terms, which in turn must influence the structure of authority terms and records. Presenters will report on developments in several areas. Particular focus will be on the LC Genre/Form projects and issues. A key issue in the Genre/Form project is the use and manipulation of faceted headings. The need for properly linking qualifying information to both topical and genre terms will be considered. A business meeting will follow the speakers.

Speakers:

  • Janis Young, Policy and Standards Division, Library of Congress
  • Geraldine Ostrove, Policy and Standards Division, Library of Congress, Music Genre Project
  • Jenn Riley, Metadata Librarian, Digital Library Program, Indiana University-Bloomington

Contact co-chairs Lynnette Fields and Melanie McGurr for more information.

Book and Paper Interest Group

The Book and Paper Interest Group (BPIG) will meet on Saturday, June 26, 10:30 am–12 noon at the JW Marriott Hotel, Capitol Ballroom H/J.

BPIG Co-Chair Beth Doyle will lead a discussion on Preservation/Conservation training from the recent AIC conference. New BPIG Co-Chair, Laura Bedford will be introduced.

There will be an open discussion on budget impact on workflows and sharing creative ideas/solutions. Ideas for the 2011 ALA Midwinter Meeting will be discussed; possible topics include using social media and Web 2.0 for outreach, education and promotion. Ideas from the floor will also be solicited.

Contact BPIG Co-Chairs Beth Doyle and Julie Mosbo for more information.

Cartographic Materials Cataloging Interest Group

The ALCTS/MAGERT Cartographic Resources Cataloging Interest Group Meeting will meet on Sunday, June 27, 8–10 am at the Grand Hyatt Washington Hotel, Penn Quarter A. Address questions or specific topic ideas and/or issues and concerns to Carolyn J. Kadri, Chair, ALCTS/MAGERT Cartographic Resources Cataloging Interest Group.

Catalog Form and Function Interest Group

Join the Catalog Form and Function Interest Group to discuss “Mobile Catalog Interfaces” on Saturday, June 26, 10:30 am–12 noon at the Hilton Washington, Columbia 5. Speakers and topics include:

Chad Haefele, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill- Design Strategies for a Freeform Mobile Catalog: Building From Scratch

The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill launched a mobile version of its library catalog in the summer of 2009. The local catalog had been III/Millennium for many years. Endeca was added as a discovery layer on top of the existing catalog in summer 2008. Endeca provides new ways to access catalog data, including XML feeds, which make a homegrown mobile interface possible. Since the interface is homegrown, they have very granular control over how the data is displayed. This presentation will briefly outline the considerations that were taken into account when building the interface, the technical means which made it possible, and informal user feedback about the mobile catalog.

Josh Bishoff, University of Illinois- Shrinking the OPAC at Illinois: Opportunities for an Enhanced Mobile Experience

The University of Illinois Libraries launched a mobile catalog in April 2010. The service currently includes a homegrown mobile interface to the local VuFind OPAC implementation. The current interface allows patrons to browse the local and CARLI consortium catalogs, to request books for delivery, and to access account information for renewal and checking hold status. The process of “disassembling” a full OPAC display and re-imagining its presentation to a mobile user will be examined, and challenges and opportunities for new services in the mobile use context (such as adding mapping features to the OPAC item display) will be discussed. The presentation will also address the benefits and drawbacks of developing locally rather than purchasing a vendor solution. Preliminary findings from mobile transaction log analysis, which may reveal some differences between traditional and mobile OPAC use patterns, will be discussed.

Laurie M. Bridges, Oregon State University- A Custom Mobile Catalog: What to do When You Don't Like Your Options

When Oregon State University Libraries’ MobileLib team could not find a mobile catalog interface that met their patron’s needs, they created one. The MobileLib team, comprised of two subject librarians and a computer programmer, created a custom mobile catalog interface for III, to incorporate all their desired features. These features include the ability to search by keyword, title, subject, ISBN, and a course reserves search. The search can be filtered by location, and results can be limited to 1, 5, or 10 results. Results include call numbers and the availability of one-click access to the most pertinent data. The item records include title, author, a description or table of contents, and a link to the shelf-view of the item. Patrons can also email or text the call-numbers to their mobile phones. At no time in their search do patrons need to leave the mobile catalog interface to view the record. The interactive features combined with design specifications appropriate for mobile phones make this library catalog compatible for all types of mobile devices and truly unique.

Andrew Nagy, Serials Solutions- Mobile Discovery: Apps in the Wild

The Millennial generation carry smart phones in their pockets just like a set of car keys or a wallet. They use them for talking and texting, finding the location of friends and doing homework between classes. Imagine a college student searching the library’s collections while walking to class—it is happening now. This presentation will demonstrate some live examples from Discovery solutions such as AquaBrowser as well as the Web-scale Discovery solution Summon to see how users can search their library’s collections.

There will be an election for a new Vice-Chair/Chair Elect. Interested parties may contact Richard Guajardo, Chair, CFFIG.

Catalog Management Interest Group

The Catalog Management Interest Group will meet Saturday, June 26, 1:30–3:30 pm at the Hilton Washington, Fairchild Room. Speakers include:

  • Sevim McCutcheon, Kent State University- Integrating Enhance and NACO Work into Pre-Professional Experiences: A Successful Strategy for All
  • Krista E. Clumpner, Northern Michigan University- Using Cataloging for Weeding and Retention
  • The chair will also briefly introduce a batch loading collaborative and encourage discussion on ways to improve record quality and batch efficiency and sharing.

For more details, see our Connect page.

Cataloging Norms Interest Group

The ALCTS CCS Cataloging Norms Interest Group will meet on Saturday, June 26, 1:30–3:30 pm at the Hilton Washington Hotel, Columbia 5. All are welcome. Speakers and topics include:

Karen Miller, Monographic/Digital Projects Cataloger, Northwestern University Library-Authority control and the digital repository: what happens to controlled vocabulary once it is outside the ILS?

Most libraries have figured out how to update the ILS with MARC authority changes, but authority control in digital repositories is another story. As catalogers become more integrated into digital projects workflow, they incorporate controlled vocabulary into metadata used outside the ILS and the realm of traditional authority control. Catalogers may be creating MARC records which are repurposed by export from the ILS or they may be creating metadata outside the ILS directly in XML which draws on a controlled vocabulary. Controlled vocabulary terms slowly but inevitably become out of synch with the original authority file used to supply them. Preferred terminology changes, people die, and authority files are updated. This presentation will examine the scope of metadata synchronization issues with special focus on authority control and describe efforts underway at NUL to address them.

Sheila Bair, Metadata and Cataloging Librarian, Western Michigan University and Myung-Ja Han, Metadata Librarian, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign- Best Practices for CONTENTdm Users Creating Shareable Metadata

The OCLC CONTENTdm Metadata Working Group consists of 34 members representing libraries, archives, and museums. Meeting from August through December of 2009 through bi-weekly telephone conferences, the group discussed issues dealing with mandatory core elements, Dublin Core-to-MARC mapping, and content standards relevant to the use of CONTENTdm and the OCLC Digital Collection Gateway. The group has developed a draft “Best Practices for CONTENTdm Users Creating Shareable Metadata.” The presentation will introduce some of the issues related to migrating metadata from CONTENTdm to WorldCat (from Dublin Core to MARC) using the Gateway and the solutions the group has developed so far.

Marliese Thomas, Database Enhancement Librarian, Auburn University Libraries- Discovery Layer or Monster Mash?

Discovery solutions have recently allowed us to search more and search more differently than before. When Auburn University began working with VuFind, and later EBSCO Discovery Service, they "discovered" exactly how important metadata placement and consistency can be. Learn how they have identified these trouble areas and how they are trying to resolve mapping issues to maximize the benefits of these new technologies.

Contact Co-Chairs Rebecca Routh and Michael Kim for more information.

CMDS/RUSA CODES Collection Management in Public Libraries Interest Group

The Collection Management in Public Libraries Discussion Group will meet on Monday, June 28, 1:30–3 pm at Washington Convention Center, Room 209A/B. This joint group, co-sponsored with RUSA CODES, is open to any conference attendees interested in collection development in public libraries. Contact Bleue J. Benton for more information.

Copy Cataloging Interest Group

The Copy Cataloging Interest Group will meet Saturday, June 26, 2010, 10:30 am–12 noon at the Hilton Washington, Columbia 1. Speakers and topics include:

  • Angela Kinney, Chief, African, Latin American and Western European Division, Acquisitions and Bibliographic Access Directorate, Library of Congress, will present a report on copy cataloging at the Library of Congress.
  • Peter J. Rolla, Assistant Professor, Catalog Librarian, University of Colorado at Boulder Libraries and James P. Ascher, Assistant Professor and Rare Book Cataloger, University of Colorado at Boulder Libraries will discuss training all levels of staff for FRBR and FRAD, including copy catalogers, as a foundation for RDA and other next generation cataloging tools.
  • Irina Kandarasheva, Copy Cataloging Unit Librarian, Columbia University Libraries, will discuss "Two Aspects of Cooperative Cataloging: PCC Training for Paraprofessionals and Vendor Records' Impact on Processing." The Program for Cooperative Cataloging (PCC) training program has a long and successful history at Columbia University Libraries. One little known aspect of it is training paraprofessional staff to catalog certain categories of material to PCC level and create name and uniform title authority records (NARs). This presentation will describe the training process and the benefits of the contributions of copy catalogers with specialized languages to the program.

Contact Tatiana Barr, Chair, Copy Cataloging Interest Group, for more information.

Creative Ideas in Technical Services Interest Group

The ALCTS Creative Ideas in Technical Services Interest Group will meet on Sunday, June 27, 4–5:30 pm at the Renaissance Mayflower, Chinese Ballroom. Attendees are invited to participate by joining one of the breakout sessions listed below. At the end of the discussion period, each group will share a brief summary of their conversation for the benefit of all participants. The discussion topics include:

  • I am Technical Services: Succeeding in a One (Wo)Man Shop
  • When I was your age…: thriving in the multi-generational technical services workplace
  • That’s not in my job description: encouraging flexibility in times of changing technologies and guidelines
  • Make room for metadata: moving beyond MARC for digital collections
  • The Next Generation ILS: What do we expect? What do we need?
  • Stuck in the middle: communicating effectively with library administrators and technical services staff
  • Free like a beer? Or free like a puppy? : open source tools for technical services
  • Sexier than a librarian? : e-books in your library

Get Involved

Volunteers are needed to facilitate and record the discussions at each breakout session. Responsibilities include:

  • Facilitators: Guide the discussion at a table, making sure everyone has an opportunity to participate and that the discussion progresses through the allotted time. The chair and vice-chair will provide the facilitators with a list of questions that may be used to guide the conversation.
  • Recorders: Take notes during the discussion and send a written report to the chair as soon as possible after the meeting. These reports form the basis for the reports to ALCTS.

If you are willing to serve as a facilitator or recorder for any of these topics, please send you name and contact information to Emily Prather-Rodgers. Please include an indication of any topics you are willing to facilitate and/or record.

A new Vice Chair/Chair-Elect will be elected at the meeting to serve from July 2010 through June 2011. The chair-elect will assume the duties of the chair from July 2011 through June 2012. If you are interested in serving, please send your name and contact information to Emily Prather-Rodgers. Candidates will be asked to introduce themselves at the upcoming meeting.

Digital Conversion Interest Group

Please join us for the ALCTS/PARS Digital Conversion Interest Group meeting on Saturday, June 26, 1:30–3:30 pm at the JW Marriott Hotel (Capitol), BR H/J.

Speakers and topics include:

  • Peter Alyea, Digital Conservation Specialist, Library of Congress, will be sharing LC’s latest research into 3D imaging and digitization of analog audio discs. The research revolves around a system called IRENE, which can transform damaged and old records into digital audio. IRENE has the potential to help preserve thousands of records which are currently unplayable via a conventional needle and turntable. See NPR's report on the project.
  • Leslie Johnston, Manager, Technical Architecture Initiatives, National Digital Information Infrastructure and Preservation Program (NDIIPP), will address an overview of the program’s current initiatives, including distributed preservation, use of “the cloud,” and the documentation and validation of file formats.

There will also be an election for co-chairs. Interested parties may contact: Janet Ahrberg or Preston Cabe.

Digital Preservation Interest Group

The Digital Preservation Interest Group will meet on Sunday, June 27, 8–10 am in the JW Marriott, Grand Ballroom I/II. This meeting will focus on the preservation of Web 2.0 data/social media.

Speakers:

  • Leslie Johnston, Library of Congress, will discuss LC's recent acquisition of the Twitter archive.
  • Amy Rudersdorf, State Library of North Carolina, will discuss the capture and preservation of social media as part of official state government communication in North Carolina.

The meeting will conclude with a business meeting to elect one new co-chair. For more information, contact Co-Chairs Emily Gore and Sue Kellerman.

E-Resource Interest Group

The ALCTS CRS E-Resource Interest Group will meet on Saturday, June 26, 10:30am–12 noon in the J. W. Marriott, Grand BR I / II. The discussion topic is “Down for the Count: Making the Case for E-Resource Usage Statistics.”

Presenters will cover the use of statistics in e-resource evaluation and weeding, statistics for e-books, the SUSHI standard for usage statistics, calculating cost per use, what works and what does not, and more, followed by discussion with the audience. Contact Amira Aaron for more information.

Gifts Interest Group

We know that you still get them. We know that they consume staff time and money despite being "free." Come share your stories and suggestions about donations at the Gifts Interest Group, Saturday, June 26, 8–10 am at the Mayflower Renaissance, Massachusetts Room. Contact Joe Badics, Chair, Gifts Interest Group, for more information.

Heads of Cataloging Interest Group

The CCS Heads of Cataloging Interest Group will meet June 28, 8-10 am at the Crowne Plaza Hotel, Glazier Room. Speakers include Christopher Cronin, Director, Metadata and Cataloging Services, University of Chicago and Shawne Miksa, Associate Professor, Department of Library and Information Sciences, College of Information, University of North Texas, who will discuss " RDA: What Cataloging Managers Need to Know."

A new vice chair/chair-elect will be elected at the meeting. Interested parties may contact Linda Smith Griffin.

Intellectual Access to Preservation Metadata Interest Group (IAPM-IG)

IAPM-IG will meet Sunday, June 27, 10:30 am–12 noon at the JW Marriott Hotel, Capitol Ballroom H/J to consider "SIPS, DIPS and Trips: How we will know if we've collected enough, or the right, metadata?" There will be a session on the OAIS conceptualization framework for preservation metadata featuring George Blood, Safe Sound Archive. A question and answer session will follow.

Many institutions rely on the model for their preservation programs, yet few have built end-to-end solutions. Libraries digitize large volumes of resources, collect metadata and create Submission Information Packets (SIPS) for our digital repositories, trusted or otherwise. The use of metadata to access those collections is years behind the actual collection of the data. How did we choose our metadata without knowing who would need or how it would be accessed? Perhaps the focus should have been "What metadata shall we collect?” rather than "What metadata will users and managers need? Will we be able to access our metadata in meaningful ways to aid discovery, to manage collections, and make DIPs users need?

Following the George Blood session, Janet Gertz, Director of Preservation, Columbia University Libraries, will present a brief report on the activities of the PARS/MLA Audio Metadata Task Force. A short business meeting will bring the session to a close. Contact Randy Roeder for more information.

MARC Formats Interest Group

The MARC Formats Interest Group will Saturday, June 26, 4–5:30 pm at the Hilton Washington, Kalorama Room. The discussion topic is MARC + RDA =?: How Have the MARC 21 Formats Been Adapted to Accommodate RDA and How Is This Being Implemented? Speakers and topics include:

  • Richard Greene, OCLC, will discuss OCLC’s recent implementation of MARC 21 format changes to accommodate RDA and support the RDA testing coordinated by the U.S. national libraries.
  • Rebecca Guenther, Library of Congress, will discuss the implementation of the MARC changes to accommodate RDA having been implemented in LC’s Voyager Integrated Library System.

Please note that this meeting will be a Power Point Free Zone (PPFZ).

The group will also discuss whether there is still interest in a MARC Formats Interest Group. If there is continued interest, a volunteer is sought to run for chair. All that is required is the willingness to do and it and be a member of ALCTS or LITA. Interested parties may contact Gene Dickerson.

Metadata Interest Group (MIG)

The ALCTS Metadata Interest Group will meet on Sunday, June 27, 8–10 am at the Washington Convention Center, Room 202A. Speakers and topics include:

  • Rebecca Guenther, Library of Congress, will discuss id.loc.gov, a service that enables both humans and machines to programmatically access authority data at the Library of Congress. This service is influenced by and implements the Linked Data movement's approach of exposing and inter-connecting data on the Web via de-referenceable URIs.
  • Medha Devare, Cornell University, and Sara Russell-Gonzalez, University of Florida, will discuss VIVO, a research focused discovery tool. The VIVO project will pilot the development of a common, but locally modifiable core ontology and integration with institutional and external information sources. The VIVO application is an open source Java application built on W3C Semantic Web standards, including RDF, OWL, and SPARQL.

MIG will hold its business meeting at 9:15–10 am following the presentations. The group will also be electing a new Vice-Chair/Chair Elect, program officer, secretary, and publications officers. Interested parties may contact Brad Eden.

Newspaper Interest Group

The Newspaper Interest Group will meet June 26, 1:30–3:30 pm at the JW Marriott Hotel, Capitol Ball Room A/B. The IG will pause in its future-forward programming to look at the newspaper as a vital paper and ink document. They will also celebrate the impressive achievements of the United States Newspaper Program, a twenty-five year initiative that made possible the National Digital Newspaper Program, which now has over twenty participating states. Speakers and topics include:

  • Julie A. Goldsmith, Senior Program Officer, National Endowment for the Humanities- “Uncovering a Half-Century of Inventions: Color Reproduction at the Chicago Tribune”
  • Henry Snyder will introduce Robert Harriman and Jeff Field who will share their memories developing and coordinating the USNP. Their presentation is titled “The United States Newspaper Program: A project that worked.”

There will be a report on the 2010 IFLA International Newspaper Conference, New Delhi, announcements, and other business if time permits. Contact Errrol Somay, Chair, Newspaper Interest Group, for more information.

Preservation Administrators Interest Group (PAIG)

The PARS Preservation Administrators Interest Group will meet Friday, June 25, 1–5 pm at the Mayflower Renaissance, Colonial Room. Speakers and Topics include:

  • Future of Library and Archives Conservation Education,” Roberta Pilette, Yale University, and Beth Doyle, Duke University
  • “Research on Sustainable Preservation Environments at IPI,” James Reilly, Image Permanence Institute
  • “From Surveys to Auditing: Extensible Methods for Preservation Assessment,” Jacob Nadal, University of California, Los Angeles
  • “Faculty Attitudes on a Print to Electronic Transition for Scholarly Materials,” Ross Housewright and Roger Schonfeld, Ithaka S+R

The meeting will also include the election of a new co-chair. Contact Adrienne Bell, Chair, PAIG, for more information.

Public Libraries Technical Services Interest Group (PLTSIG)

The Public Library Technical Services Interest Group will meet Saturday, June 26, 8–10 am at the Renaissance Mayflower, Rhode Island. The PLTSIG is a group dedicated to discussing topics of interest to librarians in all facets of Technical Services (Acquisitions, Collection Development, Cataloging, Electronic Resources) who work in public libraries. The planned topics for this meeting, besides the constant topics of budget and RDA, include circulation of eReaders, digital collections, and may be on the minds of the great group of people who attend the meeting.

An election for the incoming Vice-Chair will also be held at this meeting, and interested parties are encouraged to attend. Contact Marlene Harris or Sally Smith for more information.

Publisher-Vendor-Library Relations Interest Group (PVLR)

The Publisher-Vendor-Library Relations Interest Group invites you to attend “Patron-Driven Access for E-Books: Have We Finally Found the Solution?” on Monday, June 28, 8–10 am at the Washington Convention Center, 143B/C.

E-books have been a hot topic at recent library conferences, with animated discussions regarding preferred platforms, delivery methods and purchase models. Publishers are offering their content to libraries on a variety of platforms via many delivery methods with content being available for purchase through different pricing models. Libraries are considering their options, experimenting with pilot projects and purchasing content. Vendors are watching the events unfold in order to provide the appropriate services. Please join us to hear panelists from various sectors of the library community share their experiences with patron-driven access models for purchase of e-books. Speakers include:

  • Nancy Gibbs, Head of Acquisitions, Duke University Libraries
  • Matt Nauman, Academic E-Content Product Manager, YBP Library Services
  • Kari Paulson, President, EBL - Ebook Library
  • John Riley, Eastern Regional Sales Manager, BUSCA, Inc.

Please also consider brainstorm and plan future panels. The PVLR Planning Meeting will be held on Saturday, June 26, 4–5:30 pm at the Grand Hyatt Washington, McPherson. For more information, please contact co-chairs Liz Lorbeer or Kim Steinle.

Scholarly Communication Interest Group

The ALCTS Scholarly Communications Interest Group will meet on Monday, June 28, 1:30–3:30 pm in the Dolly Madison (lower ballroom) of the Madison Hotel. Recent trends in scholarly communication have led to greater numbers of library faculty adopting open access polices. Please join us for what promises to be an engaging and informative discussion as two librarians, Andrea Wirth, Oregon State University, and Andrea Kosavic, York University, share their experiences and lessons learned from adopting polices at their institutions.

Contact Terry Owen, Chair, Scholarly Communications Interest Group, for more information.

Technical Services Directors of Large Research Libraries Interest Group (Big Heads)

The ALCTS Technical Services Directors of Large Research Libraries Interest Group (Big Heads) will meet on Friday, June 25, 9:30 am–12:30 pm at the Library of Congress, Mumford Room, Madison Building, 6th Floor. Discussion will focus on current topics in technical services including RDA and Kuali OLE.

Contact Beth Picknally Camden, Chair, Technical Services Directors of Large Research Libraries Interest Group for more information.

Technical Services Managers in Academic Libraries Interest Group

The Technical Services Managers in Academic Libraries Interest Group will meet Saturday, June 26, 8–10 am at the Madison, Dolly Madison, BR-lower. Note: This is the former “Medium Heads” IG with a new name.

Moving into the Future: Library Technical Services in Transformation

Library technical services are undergoing significant changes as tremendous cultural and technological transformations impact libraries and their work. Libraries are moving into the future as they apply.

Initiatives such as user-initiated services and acquisitions, network level data management, globalization of resource access, elimination of localization, social networked internal communications, and organizational change. Technical service staff will need an expanded set of competencies and skills to respond to the changes. The discussion will cover issues, challenges and solutions. Table topics include:

  • The “Organizational Chart” and Location of Technical Services
  • Collaboration of Technical Services with IT Services
  • Better Management of Technical Services Internal Communication
  • Bibliographic Data Creation and Management at Network Level
  • Evaluation of Technical Services Performance
  • Technical Services Staff for the Future

Please join other technical services managers from academic libraries as we discuss these topics and approaches among small groups in a round-table setting.