Reports from Annual 2009

Committees Report on Conference Activities in Chicago

   The reports below are summaries of the activities that took place during meetings of ALCTS committees held during the 2009 ALA Annual Meeting in Chicago. Included are groups whose reports were received by the editor as of August 15, 2009. For information on groups not shown here, see the ALCTS Organization page on the ALCTS web site.

Division | Acquisitions Section | Cataloging and Classification Section | Collection Management and Development Section | Continuing Resources | Council of Regional Groups | Preservation and Reformatting Section    

Division Committees

Budget & Finance

The ALCTS Budget & Finance Committee (B&F) met twice at the 2009 Annual Conference in Chicago. Friday’s main agenda items included a review of the FY09 budget’s third quarter report and narrative, and a discussion of e-LRTS.

The FY09 third quarter report was reviewed and various budget issues were. Book sales are doing well with a new book just published and subscription revenue is currently below budget. Overall, the budget was reported to be in good shape with additional revenue and expenditure postings due after Annual.

Charles Wilt led the committee in a discussion of e-LRTS and the new e-publishing platform.

Sunday’s main agenda item was the FY10 revised budget. Charles Wilt provided an overview and discussed various aspects of the projected revenues and expenses. Mary Beth Thomson provided an update from the Budget and Planning Assembly held earlier that day. The committee recommended that the FY10 budget be presented to the ALCTS Board for approval as discussed.

The committee will continue posting documents to the new ALA Connect site including the draft budget FAQ.

Fundraising

The ALCTS Fundraising Committee:

  • Reviewed 2008/2009 sponsorships totaling $18,500, about 10 percent less than last year. R2 and ARTstor were welcomed as new sponsors, and welcomed back Casalini (who had not made a contribution in several years). Returning sponsors were Elsevier, III, BE Press, Harrassowitz, OCLC, Blackwell Books, ProQuest, YBP, Taylor & Francis and Swets.
  • Mary Case shared her plans for next year’s President’s Program as well as her Midwinter Symposium.
  • Received a suggestion to revitalize the paraprofessional conference travel grant award.
  • Discussed using ALA Connect as committee working space.
  • Reviewed the general strategies for contacting potential sponsors.
  • Thanked Joan Lamborn for her service to the committee upon completion of her term.

There were no action items for the ALCTS Board.

International Relations

The committee heard reports and remarks from the IFLA representatives: John Hostage (Cataloging), David Miller and Ed O’Neill (Classification), and Jeanne Drewes (Preservation).

The committee reviewed and updated its action plan items.

Online Course Grant

The chairperson reported on the Online Course Grant for librarians from developing countries. The committee accepted the report and discussed the proposal for revision of the program’s guidelines.

  • The Award Program has been operating since February 2009. IRC works closely with the ALCTS Office, instructors, and international students to establish best practices and to ensure program sustainability.
  • The committee received and processed over 150 applications for ALCTS web courses, and recommended 27 winners for 12 courses (four sessions of Fundamentals of Acquisitions, Fundamentals of Electronic Resource Acquisitions, and Fundamentals of Collection Development and Management). The program is very competitive. The committee reviewed about fifty applications for the fourth session (three online courses). The most popular course is FERA.
  • Different approaches to program promotion were tested. The program was first announced in ala.world and on many regional discussion lists. The committee later found it sufficient to place the ads to ala.world and people distribute the IRC message to interested parties.
  • Finding the best option for the registration process takes time. Several registration options were tested. Applications were first accepted for two sessions (six courses) and about eighty applications were received to fill those spots. Responding to this great demand, the Office doubled the number of awards. Fourteen international students were accepted to the first two sessions (six courses). Balancing the needs of students and the instructors' workload, the committee returned to the “one winner per session” schema with an option to include more international students if the size of a class is limited to 21 people. This is a good idea in theory, but its realization is difficult because people need to jump to a class at the very last moment, and this is often impossible. Another option was explored: to register applications for one session only, which works well. However, the one-session approach is very time consuming for the committee and the applicants. The suggestion is to create a ranked waiting list to accept eligible applicants for later courses.
  • Two short surveys were developed to elicit feedback from students and instructors. The committee received several thoughtful reports from the instructors and feedback from students. A big thank you goes to all FOA, FERA, and FCDM instructors, particularly Ginger Williams for her help with the instructor's questionnaire.
  • The web-based award submission form was developed by Susan Matveyeva, and web design was provided by Sai Deng. The form was revised several times. Some changes were implemented at the request of students (e.g., do not set up the phone number fields due to the differences between the U.S. and foreign numbers), and others were added by the committee (e.g., do not use drop down menu as students often do not open it; use “required” option for some fields).
  • The chairperson developed criteria and scoring guidelines to evaluate submissions. Eligibility criteria for certain groups of applicants (e.g., foreign students studying abroad; U.S. funded institutions) were discussed.

The program is a success. The committee, instructors, and the ALCTS office received many thank-you notes from awardees. We learned a lot about international librarianship and gained experience managing a global outreach continuing education program.

The committee is working on the revised guidelines. We plan to post the revised guidelines online in 2009.

ALCTS IFLA Representatives

The chairperson worked with the ALA IRO, ALCTS Office and Sections on the nomination of ALCTS representatives to IFLA standing committees. The next round of nomination will start in spring 2010. At the IRC meeting in Denver, Sha Li Zhang shared her experience with the IFLA nomination process. The committee will use her presentation as the basis for the committee’s document on the IFLA Nomination procedure in ALCTS. Thanks are extended to the members and guests, especially John Hostage and David Miller for their valuable input. After final revisions, the document will be posted on the committee web site.

The IRC Web Site

Sai Deng and Susan Matveyeva updated the committee’s web site. It now includes IRC news, committee documents, current projects, and meeting agenda and minutes. A block of materials is dedicated to IFLA representatives' reports. Responding to a suggestion by IFLA representatives, links to selected IFLA publications and IFLA section newsletters were added.

Cosponsorship

IRC cosponsored the ACRL International Relations Committee program “Academic Librarians and International Librarianship'' held on Saturday, July 11, 2009 in Chicago. The press release was posted to our web site.

Publication Project

The committee will continue its publication project that was successfully started with the article “Profiles of International Librarians: Lesley Moyo" by Paul Hoover ( International Leads, v.22:4, Dec. 2008). The plan is to have one-three members responsible for this project.

Survey of ALCTS International Members

The chairperson proposed to survey of ALCTS International members as a new committee project in FY10. There were no objections. The survey may energize the publication project. The committee will work Jeanne Drewes, Library of Congress, who expressed interest in collaboration.

Membership

All committee members provided valuable input and participated in the committee activities. The majority of members will continue their service after Annual, except Paul Hover, a very active member who has made numerous contributions to the committee’s work. Hover completed his second term and cannot be reappointed. Two new members will join IRC this year: Birdie MacLennan (University of Vermont) and Ted Gemberling (University of Alabama at Birmingham).

Leadership Development

Group members discussed their experience at the ALCTS 101 event sponsored by the Membership Committee, which is intended to replace the old Volunteer Forum. The committee recommends continuing to coordinate activities with Membership and, possibly, NMRT.

There was a debriefing on the Saturday program, “Leadership in Transition: Steering the Ship from Helm and Deck.” Evaluations from about 175 attendees were generally very positive, though some attendees expected three equal speakers and more purely newer librarian perspectives. The committee will sponsor a 2010 program proposed by Peggy Johnson designed to appeal to new ALCTS members, possibly resulting in an ALCTS-specific newcomers group.

Revamping the New Leaders Orientation to an all-web format was discussed. In addition to coverage of critical ALCTS units and their functions, the committee discussed creating general online content on leadership. The Board has suggested using various Web 2.0 methods such as video clips, webinars, and static tutorials. Testimonials about ALCTS from established leaders could also be presented as videos. We need to show many ways to be involved in ALCTS, not just committees.

Melinda Reagor explained her understanding that ALA Connect is to be used for committee business and that the committee’s web page should be its public face or marketing tool. The ALA software Collage must be used and the ALCTS Office can help. Much of what the committee has discussed about the New Leaders Orientation should be accessible on the committee web site.

The committee will be working in August to select the 2009–2010 ALCTS Emerging Leader from the ALA program. This person will shadow members on the ALCTS Board in 2010–2011. However, the committee is also interested in proposing an Emerging Leader project for 2009–2010, probably helping with the Web 2.0 transformation of the New Leaders Orientation. Reagor will confer with Charles Wilt on how to proceed.

Mary Case and Dina Giambi met with the committee to discuss changes the Board is requesting. Since the committee did the ALCTS 101 event in Chicago for new volunteers, Case and Giambi want them to focus first on the needs of the new leaders who are just beginning to serve. They suggested getting input from our members and, specifically, leaders, to determine more closely what they need to know and how they want that content delivered. The change to make online content more dynamic may be gradual.

LRTS Editorial Board

LRTS operates on an annual twelve-month cycle with the calendar year, unlike ALCTS and its committees (including the LRTS Editorial Board) and sections, which run July through June. A more comprehensive report will be prepared for the 2010 Midwinter Meeting.

  • Seventeen papers were submitted in January–June 30, 2009, compared to eleven during the same period in 2008. At this writing, four were rejected, five were accepted, three were returned to the author with request for revision and resubmission, one was tentatively accepted pending revision, and four are being reviewed.
  • Status of literature reviews:
    • Serials literature 2006–2007 (Maria Collins): pending
    • Acquisitions literature 2004–2007 (Barbara Dunham and Trisha Davis): to be published in v. 53, no. 4.
    • Acquisitions literature 2008–2009 (Jeanne Harrell): pending
    • Preservation literature 2002–2008 (Jamie Bradway): pending
    • Cataloging and classification literature 2007–2008 (Carolynne Myall and Sydney Chambers): pending
    • Collection development and management 2004–2008 (Mary Casserly): pending
  • Three members left the board, and a great group of new board members are joining after the annual meeting.
  • The board began using Editorial Manager, an online manuscript management system, in late February 2009. There have been a few bumps in the road, but the system is working well and makes managing the flow of manuscripts and reviews much easier. v. 53, no. 4 will be the first issue with part of the content going to our publishers, ALA Production Services, through Editorial Manager.
  • The board will be using EBSCO’s MetaPress, an online content management and hosting system selected by ALA, to make current and retrospective issues available. A business model will be developed over the next several months.
  • Due to budget constraints, LRTS will contain sixty-four pages per issue, beginning with v. 53, no. 4; this is down from 72 pages. This eliminates at least one article per issue.
  • The individual whom we added to the LRTS Editorial Board in a new position responsible for working with Christine Taylor (ALCTS Office) on marketing resigned without contributing in this area. We are close to appointing a replacement and hope this initiative will be more successful.

Membership

Reports from the ALCTS Office

Christine Taylor provided information about the web site redesign. She indicated that the committee could help with the content of the messages on the web site and the promotional literature. The web site is designed as an informational portal, not as a governance site. Taylor asked the committee to develop letter “templates” to recruit new members or to “re-up” lapsed members. The committee was encouraged to do all shared committee work on ALA Connect. Content can be shared, reviewed, revised and eventually moved into the web site if appropriate.

Reports from ALCTS Executive and Division Chairs

Dina Giambi, Mary Case, and Becky Ryder provided updates from the ALCTS Executive meetings and the ALCTS Division Chairs meeting. A New Members Interest Group is forming within ALCTS, and Membership will contact Peggy Johnson and Keisha Manning about shared responsibilities for mentoring newcomers. Discussion continued about e-forums, continuing education opportunities, especially webinars, and ALCTS restructuring.

Review of ALCTS 101

Ryder thanked all the committee members for their active participation in ALCTS 101, held at the ALA Headquarters. Rebecca Mugridge, Dina Giambi, and Mary Case reported that positive comments had made their way to the ALCTS Board. The ALCTS 101 session centered about “what ALCTS can do for you!” A “speed dating” event formed the main portion of the event. ALCTS committee members and other ALCTS volunteers each claimed one of the following topics:

  • Interest Groups
  • Programs and presentations
  • Publications
  • Technology 2.0
  • Mentoring
  • Committees

These subjects were referred to as the “Topical Table Talks.” The “talkers” were “Talking Heads” who rotated from table to table with a basic spiel every ten minutes following the sound of the bell (tambourine and lemme sticks “percussed” by Mary Case and Pamela Bluh). The Talking Heads each created a multi-(talking) point handbill for each member. The handbill was a simple takeaway as well as the starting point for discussions. The event was lively and was completed with a “shout out” and door prizes and extra food.

The committee felt that the event was successful and would like to try the same approach at the 2010 ALA Annual Conference next summer. While attendance was good, some committee members felt that 7–9 p.m. is too late, and others felt that a more mainstream location is recommended. In the meantime, a less formal “get to know you” event will be planned for Boston, perhaps in cooperation with the NMIG. A sponsor may be sought to subsidize a “happy hour,” 5–7 p.m. event for Annual. Christine will provide the committee with names of attendees so that they can send a follow-up evaluation and welcome message.

Review ALA Pavilion Activities

The Membership Committee did not claim a spot in the ALA Pavilion this year. They will plan an event for next year.

Other Topics

Topics on the agenda for which there was no time to discuss.

  • Public Library Survey: A Public Libraries Technical Services Interest Group has formed. What (if any) role does Membership have in supporting that group?
  • Library School Outreach: Next steps
  • Review Midwinter 2009 action item list (will do on ALA Connect)

Organization & Bylaws

This year's meeting was rather short since the revision of the bylaws which the committee had been working on since Midwinter had been submitted to the Board for approval, but not yet voted on. The Board met the day before the committee meeting and began discussion on the draft revision. Dale Swensen shared some of the comments made by Board members, although as a group, the committee could not make any changes. Art Miller was also present at the Board meeting and added his observations.

Following the discussion of the bylaws, the committee talked about plans for next year and identified current members who would be continuing. Art Miller agreed to serve as chair for the coming year. The committee also reviewed the schedule for upcoming committee and interest group reviews and discussed how the review process might be improved.

Planning

Planning Committee members contacted leaders of their represented groups prior to the Annual Conference to encourage participation in strategic planning, to fulfill the objectives of the current strategic plan, and to urge groups to record their strategic activities in the ALCTS Planning Web site/Planning Database. Committee members reviewed database entries input by their groups, and even input some entries themselves.

Committee members reported what they had learned from their represented groups. Three topics of substance were then discussed.

Use and Future of the ALCTS Planning Web site/Planning Database

Once again, Planning Committee members reported spotty and inconsistent use of the Planning Web site/Planning Database by ALCTS groups. The following information was shared.

  • ALCTS members perceive the database as redundant. Why should groups have to report everything multiple times, in postmeeting reports and then in the database?
  • ALCTS members have doubts about how much the database is used, and by whom. Again, they wonder why information in reports could not serve the same purpose (and suspect that the reports are being used, rather than the database, for analysis of association progress).
  • ALCTS members can not easily locate the database. In fact, they use Google to find it, rather than navigating through the ALCTS site.
  • Dropdown choices (e.g. group names) in the database are not consistent from menu to menu, so members can not easily retrieve all entries pertinent to their group without going through entries for the whole section. Keyword searching is not available to get around these problems. (In fact, the only reliable search is by section.)
  • Database clunkiness makes it easier to input new entries than to locate and update older ones, with many duplicate entries as a result.
  • Despite the committee’s efforts to clarify what does/does not go into the database, there are still questions about content, particularly with regard to critical ongoing activities.

The current ALCTS Planning Web site is a great improvement over the previous ALCTS Planning Database. But we suspect that more recent technologies have passed it by. ALCTS members are pressed for time, apparently less willing to do duplicate reporting, particularly when it is time-consuming. During the coming year, the Planning Committee will consider options. (Close out the current database at the end of this strategic plan? Use a simple wiki format on the ALCTS Connect site?). A recommendation will then be submitted to the ALCTS Board.

Review and Propose Changes to the ALCTS Planning Process

Could some of the difficulties in using the planning database be reflections of weaknesses in our strategic planning process? Is our process too complicated, redundant, and formulaic to be effective, and to be integrated easily into the life of the division at all levels? Is the current five-year process too long for agile response to rapidly changing conditions?

Since the 2009 ALA Midwinter Meeting, with the guidance of Charles Wilt, the Planning Committee has read articles about problems with and some alternatives to traditional strategic planning. During our discussion at the 2009 ALA Annual Conference, the committee agreed that they would like to explore and perhaps recommend a streamlined strategic planning framework. This process would, presumably, focus on mission and critical issues, have fewer layers, provide for simpler record-keeping, and extend over a shorter period of time.

What would be a reasonable process to create the new framework? Should we start with an environmental scan at Midwinter 2010? Move on to an e-forum, and try to attract the participation of a broad spectrum of ALCTS members? The committee agreed to continue discussions during coming months, with considerable help from Charles, in the hope of submitting an interim report concerning ALCTS strategic planning at or following Midwinter 2010.

Review Charge of ALCTS Planning Committee

The Planning Committee is scheduled for regular review by Organization & Bylaws soon. Members will review and may make recommendations to revise the current Planning Committee charge to reflect a more targeted view of the committee’s scope.

Program

The Program Committee met with sixteen preconference and program planners during the 2009 ALA Annual Conference in Chicago. The committee discussed and approved one preconference and twelve programs for presentation at the Annual Conference in Washington, D.C. in 2010. The committee provisionally approved an additional three program proposals contingent on suggested revisions to those proposals. There are an additional three preconference ideas currently in development.

The committee also discussed plans for the Presidential Symposium for the 2010 ALA Midwinter Meeting in Boston, and the President’s Program for Washington, D.C. with incoming ALCTS President Mary Case and her Program Chair, Brian Schottlaender. The committee also met with Past-President Pamela Bluh to discuss her Midwinter Symposium plans for Boston.

The slate of ALCTS programs and preconferences presented during the 2009 Chicago meeting was one of our strongest. The preconferences attracted over 275 registrants, far surpassing any other Division. Attendance figures from our programs suggest that these were very popular as well. Some examples:

  • Look Before You Leap: Taking RDA For a Test-Drive: 600+ attendees
  • Collection Development 2.0: 300+ attendees
  • Leadership Development in Transition: 250+ attendees
  • New Selectors and Selecting in New Subjects: 225+ attendees
  • Collecting for Digital Repositories: 250+ attendees

Publications

The Committee received updates from the section publications representatives and the ex-officio members representing LRTS, ANO, LMPI, and the Paper Series. The committee also heard a report from Christine Taylor regarding sales of recent publications.

The committee discussed its 2010 program, tentatively titled “Publishing, not Perishing: Writing for Publication,” which was well received by the Program Committee. Stephen Dew, the Publications program chair, will seek cosponsorship from other ALA divisions, and will work to identify a co-panelist, likely an ALA division journal editor, to join Peggy Johnson on the program.

The committee discussed some of the near-term goals, particularly review of three manuscripts received just prior to Annual that incoming chair, Sion Romaine, will bring to the committee using ALA Connect, the new communication and document management platform.

Paper Series Editor

The Paper Series Editorial Board received and approved the manuscript for Risk and Entrepreneurship in Libraries: Seizing Opportunities for Change; the volume (#17 in the Series) is now published. Chapter 3, “Moderately Risky Business” by Joyce Ogden, is available on the ALCTS web site as an incentive for readers to purchase the volume.

The Board wrote a call for proposals published in the June “Events” section of the ALCTS Newsletter Online as planned at the ALA Midwinter meeting.

The Board proposed a model for electronic publication of volumes in the ALCTS Papers Series. Individual papers will be accumulated electronically as they are completed. Papers may be purchased individually. Once a volume is completed, the entire volume may be ordered in print or electronic format. The oversight process would mostly stay the same: the proposal form would be for the completed volume and would be approved by the Board and the Publications Committee. The Board would review papers as submitted by the editor and grant approval for each individual paper, sending each on to the Publications Committee for approval before the ALCTS Office would put them up for sale individually. After the final paper is received, the volume would be closed and the papers made available collectively.

The Board contacted planners for programs with a research emphasis planned for the 2010 ALA Annual Conference in Washington, D.C.; there will be a year-long emphasis on cataloging research, there is a program on innovations in preservation, and there will be a program on collection development research projects too. We will encourage an editor to coordinate some of the resulting papers into a volume for the ALCTS Papers Series.

   Acquisitions Section (AS)

Acquisitions Organization & Management Committee

Committee members and guests were welcomed, introductions were made, and the agenda was reviewed.

The main topic of discussion was the preconference proposal for the 2010 ALA Annual Conference in Washington, D.C., which circulated by email before the meeting. The topic is e-resource licensing and three speakers have been identified. One of them will be contacted to make sure he is still interested in taking part. Several alternative speakers were discussed in case any of the nominated speakers were unavailable.

The committee edited the proposal draft. It was agreed that the preconference should have a practical, take-home emphasis. Rather than spell out the content in detail, speakers will be given a general outline of topics and will be asked to work out the details among themselves.

As a part of the discussion, the group considered existing resources on licensing. ARL offers an online licensing course, although it is to be discontinued. NERL also has some material on this topic. It was decided to seek cosponsorship for the preconference. Groups outside ALCTS are preferred, but they must be within ALA. Christine Taylor will check with her LITA contact to see if they are interested.

The group discussed the relationship of Acquisitions as a section within ALCTS to actual divisions of responsibility in the workplace. Activities such as digital projects or preservation could fall within the purview of Acquisitions, although there is overlap with other groups. The issue of other roles for the committee besides programming, such as policy and planning, was raised.

Education

The committee reviewed accomplishments in the 2009–10 year:

  • The committee planned a preconference “Streaming Media and Proliferating E-Books: Acquiring and Managing Emerging Formats” for the 2009 ALA Annual Conference. Approximately thirty-five people attended.
  • The committee evaluated applicants to instruct the “Fundamentals of Acquisitions” online course.

The main meeting topic was the restructuring of education committees within ALCTS. The division level education committee was disbanded and a new Continuing Education (CE) committee was established effective at the close of the 2009 ALA Annual Conference. The Acquisition Sections did not appoint new members to the Education Committee pending the results of the division level reorganization. At the division level, the new CE committee will focus on educational activities that do not occur at conferences and will discontinue in-person opportunities in favor of online. At this time, this committee understood the section was free to determine the best way to proceed, but should follow the definition of continuing education. The Acquisitions Education Committee recommended to the Executive Committee that they ensure CE and conference programming for acquisitions are the designated responsibilities of appropriate section committees. The Acquisitions Section Education Committee is disbanded with the close of the 2009 Annual Conference.

Research and Statistics

The committee is planning a program for the 2010 ALA Annual Conference titled “E-Books: You Bought Them! How Do You Know it was Worth It?” The committee decided against proposing a forum for the 2010 ALA Midwinter Meeting.

Technology

The committee welcomed a new committee member and thanked outgoing member, Catherine Nelson for her excellent work.

The committee finalized plans for the program “The Power of XML to Enhance Workflow and Discovery” which was held Monday July 13 during the 2009 ALA Annual Conference. Janet Lute agreed to introduce the speakers and moderate the question and answer session at the end of the program.

The committee worked on a program proposal for the 2010 ALA Annual Conference titled “Acquisitions and Selection: Next Generation Systems”. Maureen Grant prepared the program proposal documentation and agreed to be the program chair.

The committee also discussed potential use of the wiki site set up in ALA Connect.

   Cataloging and Classification Section (CCS)

Cataloging: Asian & African Materials

The CCS Committee on Cataloging: Asian and African Materials (CC:AAM) met, as scheduled, on Sunday, July 12, 2009 in Chicago. As the Chair made in advance arrangements with CCS and CC:AAM, in his absence, a CC:AAM member moderated the meeting.

Draft minutes of the January 25, 2009 CC:AAM meeting were approved with some modifications.

CC:AAM heard a report on recent CC:DA activities.

The CC:AAM Task Force on RDA reiterated its written report of July 7, 2009 that, between January and July 2009, there was no RDA draft or related document referred to the Task Force for comments and that the Task Force believed that it had expired, as per the charge given by CC:AAM to the Task Force, with successful completion of all charges prescribed to the Task Force.

CC:AAM heard a report on further discussion by the Africana Librarians Council (ALC) on its interest in further working with relevant organizations on the issue of Ethiopic script inclusion in catalog records.

After hearing ALC's reaction to the January 2009 CC:AAM meeting discussion in reference to ALC's proposal for Vai romanization, CC:AAM decided to ask one of the members to work on somewhat modified language to extend support of the ALC-proposed Vai romanization. At the same time, ALC will add some supplementary explanation to their Vai romanization proposal.

CC:AAM discussed procedural matters in response to the revision proposal, prepared by the Committee on Research Materials on Southeast Asia (CORMOSEA), of the ALA-LC romanization table for Khmer. It was decided that CC:AAM will indicate to the member on both CORMOSEA and CC:AAM that, as long as CORMOSEA wished to proceed with the revision proposal, it may directly be submitted to the Library of Congress (LC) rather than to CC:AAM. If LC decides to further act on such a revision proposal, LC might then communicate with CC:AAM in that regard, at which time CC:AAM will further study the revision proposal.

A written report was distributed in advance regarding recent activities of each of the following related organizations: ALCTS Working Group for Defining Specific Scripts and Language Support in Library Applications; LC; ALC Cataloging Committee; Council on East Asian Libraries (CEAL); Middle East Librarians Association (MELA); and CORMOSEA. There was no written or oral report by OCLC.

It was reiterated that CC:AAM's next liaison to CC:DA to succeed the one completing her appointment as of the end of the 2009 Annual Conference had not been found. The new CC:AAM chair will continue to call for a volunteer from among continuing CC:AAM members and expand the search among incoming CC:AAM members.

CC:AAM membership changes as of the conclusion of the 2009 Annual Conference were announced.

Interest in pursuing virtual CC:AAM membership possibilities was reiterated.

Comprehensive minutes of the July 12, 2009 CC:AAM meeting are being drafted by a CC:AAM intern for circulation and finalization at a later time.

Cataloging of Children’s Materials

After approval of minutes from Midwinter, the committee proceeded with the reports of ex-officio members, liaisons, and consultants. The committee discussed the program proposal for the 2010 ALA Annual Conference, which they were asked to revise by the Program Planning Committee. The original intent of the program was to work with AASL and ALSC to address recommendation 9 of the Task Force on Non-English Users (ALCTS). As no one from AASL or ALSC could be contacted, the committee decided to focus on the ways cataloging of children’s materials could aid library use by non-English and preliterate children. Part one will be a presentation on “the code” of cataloging and how it makes searching predictable and consistent, and the importance of uniform titles. Part two will be a presentation of subject heading thesauri in different languages and how the various Dewey translations can provide broad local subject headings. Part three will be a demonstration of a visual catalog or “Kids catalog” and how this assists non-English and preliterate library users.

The committee discussed committee representation or presence at the AASL conference and then moved to a discussion of the 5th edition of Cataloging Correctly for Kids.

Committee on Cataloging: Description and Access

CC:DA conducted its standing order of business: Introduction of members, correction and approval of previous meeting minutes, adoption of the agenda, confirmation of actions taken since the previous meeting, report of the JSC representative, and report of the LC representative. The committee also received reports from the following: the RDA Implementation Task Force (Myers substituting), the Assistant Executive Director of ALA Publishing Services, the MARBI representative, and the CC:DA Webmaster (Myers substituting).

The committee held a preliminary discussion on future activities now that the RDA content has been finalized. It is anticipated that a review process similar to that used for updating AACR2 will be re-established after RDA is commercially released, with an initial focus on feedback from the testing period and the known issues deferred by the JSC. This discussion should continue at the 2010 ALA Midwinter Meeting. The committee also discussed the need to respond to IFLA’s request for worldwide review of the FRSAD report and how to make CC:DA’s expertise available to SAC. Given the short timeframe involved and some other concerns, CC:DA authorized formation of a CC:DA task force to review FRSAD. Lori Robare, who has extensive SAC experience, will chair the task force. Membership will draw from both CC:DA and SAC. After consultation with SAC, CCS and Charles Wilt, the task force quickly morphed into a CCS task force, retaining Robare as Chair.

CC:DA’s meetings at the 2010 ALA Midwinter Meeting in Boston are anticipated to be scheduled for Saturday, January 16, 2010, 1:30–5:30 p.m.; and Monday, January 18, 2010, 8 a.m.–noon.

Continuing Education Training Materials

Update on Course Revisions

Minor updates to Basic Subject Cataloging Using LCSH and Fundamentals of Library of Congress Classification are in process and should be completed soon.

A revision team has been appointed to incorporate information on provider-neutral e-monograph practice into Rules and Tools for Cataloging Internet Resources. The target date for completion is August 31.

ALCTS Continuing Education Committee

The group discussed implications of the new ALCTS Continuing Education Committee for CETM’s work (the ALCTS Education Committee has been disbanded; the new committee will coordinate continuing education efforts outside of ALA conferences). The CE committee will focus on online delivery, since in-person workshops outside of conferences are no longer drawing a sufficient number of attendees. Conversion of some content from CETM workshops into webinars is one way in which CETM may interact with the new CE committee.

Online Instruction

Steven Miller shared his experiences with teaching Principles of Controlled Vocabulary and Thesaurus Design online using the D2L software.

Evaluation of Workshop Content

The committee discussed progress to date in evaluating CCT and Cat21 workshops for currency, viability, and potential for conversion to Web content. Some current and longer-term developments in practice that affect specific courses have been identified; for example, Fundamentals of Series Authorities needs to be revised to reflect changes in MARC coding for series. CETM is also interested in finding ways to easily identify and correct information that is subject to frequent change (such as URLs, screen shots, and perhaps access points in slides), and in getting more consistent feedback from trainers about errors.

Two action items resulted from this discussion:

  • The chair will set up a community in ALA Connect, with outlines of each course and areas for providing feedback about the course content or the training experience. The community will be publicized to CCT and Cat21 trainers via the Cat-CE discussion list.
  • Committee members will review each course and check URLs for currency. Quick fixes can be made to the workshop content. More complex changes will be listed and made available to trainers to help them prepare to teach, and will feed into considerations of the need to revise the course content.

Trainer Survey Follow-up

The group continued to discuss responses to the trainer survey conducted in January 2009. A narrative summary of responses will be compiled by fall 2009.

Education, Training, and Recruitment for Cataloging

During the past year, one of the central activities of the Committee on Education, Training, and Recruitment for Cataloging (CETRC) was the reorganization of the committee, its subcommittees (Continuing Education and Mentoring), and task force (Task Force on Competencies and Education for a Career in Cataloging). A review of the current structure of the committee, its subcommittees, and task force, and their initiatives revealed duplication of efforts on continuing education activities within CETRC and across ACLTS Cataloging and Classification Section committees, and a number of initiatives falling outside the scope of ALCTS and CCS.

Based on discussions with CCS Executive Board and CCS Policy and Planning Committee, a proposal to reorganize CETRC into two separate committees was approved and adopted. The two new committees to be created are:

  • Continuing Education Committee
  • Recruitment and Mentoring Committee

The reorganization of CETRC and its subcommittees fits better within the committee structure of ALCTS and provides a more focused approach to those two distinct activities—continuing education; and recruitment and mentoring—within ALCTS and CCS.

The new committees will officially start during ALA Midwinter 2010.

There have been numerous accomplishments by CETRC, CETRC Continuing Education and CETRC Mentoring subcommittees, and the Task Force on Competencies and Education for a Career in Cataloging. Credit is due to all who served in the committees, subcommittees and task force and contributed to those accomplishments throughout the past years.

CETRC Continuing Education Subcommittee

Due to the reorganization of ALCTS and CCS units responsible for continuing education, this was the final meeting of the CCS/CETRC-CE subcommittee. The chair wishes to thank the members of the Subcommittee for their substantial contributions to continuing education, and for their willing participation in the work of the subcommittee. The subcommittee also recognizes the support of our “parent” committee, the CCS Committee on Education, Training and Recruitment of Catalogers, and thanks its chair for his attention and assistance during the committee review process.

The subcommittee reviewed and revised the Continuing Education Course Review Checklist. It will be posted on ALA Connect in its current draft form. It is hoped that the Checklist can be useful for periodic review of ALCTS/CCS continuing education offerings.

The survey of cataloging and metadata courses offered by library schools was completed and posted to ALA Connect. After review by members of the subcommittee, a report by Joy and Ryun will be sent to ALCTS Newsletter Online.

The subcommittee had some final suggestions on the work to be done and topics to be covered by future ALCTS and CCS continuing education committees.

Continuing Education course review: continue to review new courses, and evaluate existing courses.

Offer more CE online, focusing on entry level and “just beyond” entry level or fundamentals.

Specialized areas such as cataloging of map and GIS resources, and cataloging of non-print resources. These would be suitable as a series of webinars. [Note: Stacie Traill has given classes on these topics at state level].

RDA training. Continuing Education committee could contribute by reviewing courses.

Subject Analysis. Authority control/controlled vocabularies for traditional cataloging and non-MARC, non- AACR2/RDA.

Policy & Planning Committee

The committee completed its review of CC:DA (Committee on Cataloging: Description and Access). Policy & Planning Committee (PPC) recommends no changes for CC:DA at this time. CC:DA realizes that when/if RDA includes aspects of subject analysis as well as description, then, at a minimum, a liaison relationship with Subject Analysis Committee (SAC) will be desirable.

PPC discussed the review of Committee on Cataloging: Asian and African Materials (CC:AAM). Completion of the review was delayed until immediately after annual to permit for a final comparison of the version of the charge and composition of the committee that is on the ALCTS web site with the versions that are in the ALCTS Handbook of Organization and that were established after the last review of this committee (in 2004). CC:AAM would like to provide options for virtual membership, especially for those members who are expected to have expertise with respect to materials from Africa, the Middle East, East Asia, Southeast Asia, and South Asia. PPC recommends that CCS Executive Committee encourage virtual membership for the CC:AAM specialist members.

It was confirmed that during the coming year, PPC will conduct charge reviews of CCS Executive Committee, CCS Nominating Committee, and Margaret Mann Citation Committee.

The committee discussed issues relating to ALCTS structure and communication, issues that were raised at the ALCTS Forum held immediately before the PPC meeting. Barriers to using the ALCTS Planning Database were identified. Members discussed how PCC might be able to contribute to the work of the ALCTS Planning Committee, which has been assigned the task of proposing a process to create the next ALCTS strategic plan and to identify the components of such a plan. PPC discussed whether this is a good time to examine the structure of CCS as a whole, as PARS has recently examined its structure, or whether such an examination should wait for the ALCTS strategic planning process to be completed.

Research & Publications Committee

The Research and Publications Committee's work during the past six months included:

  • Preparation and execution of a program at the 2009 ALA Annual Conference in Chicago.
  • Postprogram compilation and review of feedback was supplied.
  • Presentation files were deposited in the Wiki for ALA Annual.
  • Training two committee members to use new web site software used by ALA/ALCTS.
  • Early work on a draft publication, but work was stopped when the publication was shifted by ALCTS Publications to ALA Editions.
  • The committee’s work was moved from a work area to the new Connect web site.
  • The committee discussed publications and topics for the coming year's essays.
  • The committee honored the subcommittee who successfully built and executed the program.
  • The committee thanked the outgoing committee members for their service.
  • New committee members beginning their service in July 2009 were welcomed.

Subject Analysis Committee

In the absence of SAC chair Linda Gabel (due to illness), the business of the meeting was kept simple. The committee heard and discussed reports from its liaisons and subcommittee chairs, and took two actions:

  • to extend the life of the SAC Subcommittee on Genre Form Implementation to the 2012 ALA Annual Conference
  • to dismiss the Subcommittee on the Future of Subject Headings (the “SWOT Subcommittee”) with thanks.

There was no new business.

   Collection Management and Development Section (CMDS)

Administration of Collection Development

The Administration of Collection Development (ACD) committee has been approved to plan a program for the 2010 ALA Annual Conference. Incoming chair Millie Jackson attended the ALCTS Program Committee on behalf of ACD’s Program Request for the Annual Meeting 2010. The Program Committee suggested a few edits and suggested possible cosponsors for the program. The program will be titled, “Acceptance, Tolerance, Elimination: Making Decisions About Multiple Copies in a Digital Age.” The program will feature a panel from different kinds of institutions to discuss issues of retaining or discarding multiple copies and solutions to the problem.

The committee spent most of the meeting discussing issues that could be addressed in the program and possible institutions or consortia to contact for panelists. Possible themes for speakers include cooperative state/regional facilities, small colleges with fewer options, virtual storage, formats vs. copies, outsourcing to private companies, cooperative lending groups, and “we have plenty of room but it is ours.”

Susan Thomas shared the plan for the reorganization of CMDS and explained that committee appointments would be temporarily suspended pending the new organization.

There was also a discussion of the 2009 program. The committee discussed the difficulty of putting together the program because of changes that took place during the past year with the Open Content Alliance and the Open Knowledge Commons. Comments from attendees were reviewed. Feedback was generally positive.

Collection Development and Electronic Media

Preparation for Program at 2009 ALA Annual Conference

The committee discussed the final preparation for this year’s program (Collecting for Digital Repositories: New Ways to Disseminate and Share Information). Completed evaluation forms would be collected and feedback analyzed for future reference. The speakers’ PowerPoint presentations and the annotated bibliography compiled for the program would be posted to the conference wiki.

Postmeeting notes: There were approximately 200 attendees in the program. Their feedback was positive.

Discussion of Next Year’s Program

Committee representatives met with the ALCTS Program Planning Committee to discuss the proposal for next year’s program. The Planning Committee provided positive feedback and advised punching up the description, working on the lead-in, and seeking cosponsorship from other ALA divisions such as RUSA and PLA. The timeslot was changed to 1:30–3:30 p.m. on Sunday, and the room size changed to 200–300 people. The committee representatives mentioned that the CMDS Executive Committee had suggested that the program include different library types and an international perspective if possible.

The committee discussed how to prepare for the program, specifically how to find out about and keep track of innovative changes. They will start with known cases and investigate what has been done. Some leads included OhioLINK and 2CUL from Columbia and Cornell. They will also look at libraries and consortia in states that have been hardest hit economically, such as those in California, Arizona, Washington, and Nevada.

It was suggested that the review not be limited to collection development cuts, but also to how libraries have dealt with whole library cuts through staffing, consortial approaches, and government document collection.

It was agreed that possible speakers should be contacted by November.

e-Forum

The committee discussed the possibility of organizing an e-Forum on e-books. Topics included e-book pricing, platforms, and selection criteria. The forum goals would be to provide an opportunity for colleagues to share insights and to develop best practices in managing e-books.

Use of ALA Connect for Communication

The committee discussed using ALA Connect to facilitate internal and external communications and to build an online archive. Andrea Imre mentioned that she had passed some internal documents on to Selden Lamoureux when Selden became Committee Chair, but Adrian Ho did not receive them from Selden when she succeeded her.

Other Business

Other topics of interest were discussed. Serials Solutions’ federated search tool Summon is noteworthy. Dartmouth College, Oklahoma State University, and Western Michigan University have provided access to the beta version. Some libraries are cutting approval plans in order to collect fewer generic items and to put more emphasis on collecting unique materials. E-book vendor EBL offers an interesting business model. Free MARC records are loaded into the online catalog and the library is charged when a user reads online or downloads e-books.

Education Committee

The committee discussed the Fundamentals of Collection Analysis (FCA) online course. The modules were approved pending some minor editing, but the committee wants to see three examples and fleshed out activities before final approval of the course. Two webinar topics have been approved by ALCTS Education; these should be produced in fall 2009 and spring 2010. Activities planned for 2009–2010 include reviewing FCA in Moodle before it goes live, revising the committee’s charge, identifying two new webinar topics, and developing a program proposal for Annual 2011.

Policy and Planning Committee

The committee counted 336 people in attendance at “Collection Development 2.0: The Changing Administration of Collection Development” the committee’s program held from 3:30–5:30 p.m. Saturday July 11. The tally of evaluations has not been completed, but they show a generally strong favorable response. See the wiki for more information.

To build on this successful program, committee members discussed possibilities for a program for the 2010 ALA Annual Conference and decided on a similar treatment of collaborative collection development. Austin Booth, the incoming committee chair, developed the proposal and the ALCTS Program Committee received it and reviewed it with Ann Fath on Tuesday morning. They requested some minor revisions which Booth will make and resubmit by 1 August.

The CMDS Chair and Chair-Elect asked the Committee to review its charge, purpose, and role and make recommendations for future changes in response to a proposal to do away with the committee as it currently exists.

Members will explore possibilities for broadening the use of ALA Connect for Committee business.

CMDS Publications Committee

Helene Williams will replace Doug Litts as editor of the Sudden Selector Series. Many thanks to Doug for his invaluable contributions to this series.

The committee received proposals to revise the Bibliographer’s Manual (Guide #8) and Evaluation (Guide #2). Both were approved by the committee before they realized that ALA Editions, not ALCTS, held their copyrights. Chris Rhodes explained that ALA Editions will return the rights to ALCTS but he encouraged CMDS Publications to propose books rather than the short guides. ALCTS would have the right of first refusal on these. If ALCTS does not want to publish them, the proposals would then go to ALA Editions. ALA Editions will also allow the old editions to be available on the web site. The CMDS Executive Committee would also like to see this happen. There was some discussion of publishing e-only versions of new guides and other works and of publishing parts of new works on the web, while selling the paper versions. The committee needs to decide what direction it wants to take regarding publication on the web and that direction must be in line with ALCTS Publications.

The chemistry manuscript is awaiting approval by ALCTS Publications. Doug will edit it when it has been approved. CMDS has received revised biology and the QLBITQ manuscripts which have been given to Helene Williams to review. The author of the English manuscript has submitted one chapter and reports that another is nearing completion. The committee has received and approved proposals for guides on children’s literature for academic librarians and geography and geographic information systems since the 2009 ALA Midwinter Meeting. Members of the committee are actively working on recruiting authors for guides on media and engineering. Other potential topics for proposals are: agriculture, film studies, physics, world history, U.S. history, areas studies, nanotechnology, sociology, political science, philosophy, religious studies, foreign language and literature for non-native speakers, green design/architecture/urban planning/environmental studies, and nursing.

The committee decided to create a subcommittee to act as an editorial board for the Sudden Selector series. This will permit the full committee to devote more time to the other aspects of its charge. A group was formed to develop a proposal on how this editorial board would interact with the full committee.

The committee discussed the need to create a web space that would provide information and support for new collection managers. Two committee members volunteered to assist Christine Taylor with organizing the inventory of publications related to CMDS for the new ALCTS web site.

   Continuing Resources Section (CRS)

Education Committee

The committee’s program on “Re-Thinking Staff Resources in the E-Serials Environment” is ready to take place on July 12, 2009. Planning a program in less than a year was very time consuming and difficult for the committee, detracting from other committee work.

The committee participated in the instructor selection process this spring for the Fundamentals of Electronic Resources Acquisitions (FERA) course.

The committee’s entries in the ALCTS Strategic Planning Database are current as of July 7, 2009, updated by Maria Collins.

Sandhya Srivastava found the Collage training for ALA web site updating to be poor, and no other committee member will seek further training until they know what ALCTS will be doing with its web pages.

Two new syllabi, the Syllabus for Serials Management and Syllabus for Preservation Management, have not yet been posted on the ALCTS web site as requested to replace the outdated Syllabus for Collection Management, Records Systems, and Preservation. Syllabi might be appropriate to post on ALA Connect.

Beth Tice has worked on updating the Serials Collection Development and Acquisitions Syllabus, updating citations and links. The committee will review the draft and suggest articles to add. Perhaps this can be done using ALA Connect.

Gene Dickerson asked for assistance with updating the Serials Cataloging Syllabus, and Beth Tice will help with checking links.

The committee postponed further development of the Fundamentals of Serials online course until they find out whether this will become part of the work of the new division-level Continuing Education Committee.

No new members will be added to the committee during the transitional period for the education committees.

Discussion

The committee discussed uses for ALA Connect. It is unclear what should be on the ALCTS and CRS web pages versus ALA Connect. It appears that the ALCTS Strategic Planning Database is still needed but it would reduce reporting redundancy if it could be linked to ALA Connect. It seems that ALA Connect will allow fast updating and avoid the problems of the stagnant ALA web pages.

The committee discussed the difficulties in the process for selecting new online course instructors when there was no agreement in advance regarding appropriate qualifications, and the unexpected change in the role of the current instructors in the process.

The committee discussed its role in relation to the new ALCTS Continuing Education Committee, and the role of section education committees. Should the work of section committees be limited only to money-making events outside of conferences?

The committee discussed its charge and how it might change.

Committee on Holdings Information

2009/2010 Committee Composition

Margi Mann and Cathy Weng have each been appointed for another two-year term. Steven Knowlton will continue his second year of a two-year term. Cecilia Boon completed her term on the committee at the conclusion of the 2009 ALA Annual Conference. Heather Staines from Springer will be the new member on the Committee. Julie Su will continue as chair for another year

ALCTS Wiki

The committee’s page on ALA Connect is still listed under the old name (Committee on Union Lists), and the charge and membership have not been updated. Cecilia Boon will later review the ALCTS wiki page and report findings back to the committee after the Annual Conference. The discussion then touched upon the purposes and functions of ALA web site, ALA Connect and the ALA wiki. The purpose of these web tools and how can they be effectively utilized for committee work is unclear. It is also not clear regarding how to get information about the committee updated. Boon will later review the ALCTS page on the ALA wiki and report findings back to the committee.

Progress Report on Holdings Resource Page

Steve Knowlton reported that he submitted the draft committee resource page to Sion Romaine, Chair, Research and Publications Committee, earlier this year and has not gotten a response from him. Marilyn Geller replied that Sion had sent the draft page to the ALCTS Office and has not heard back from the Office. Several suggestions were made regarding the resource page, including the addition of an introductory paragraph and publications or presentations related to holdings information.

Liaison Relation with the CONSER Publications Patterns Initiative

The CONSER Coordinator’s interest in a formal relationship between the CONSER Publications Patterns Initiative and the Committee on Holdings Information was discussed. The committee suggested that a liaison representative from the Publications Patterns Initiative to the Holdings Committee might be a good start. Julie Su will bring this to the ALCTS Executive Board for consideration.

Midwinter Holdings Update Forum

Committee members discussed the idea of providing holdings for e-books which was brought up by Margi Mann at the 2009 Midwinter Meeting in Denver. Issues related to holdings for e-books provided by aggregators need to be first identified. Solutions can then be sought from ERMS or vendors. The idea is still vague and more brainstorming is needed.

Summary of Actions

  • The committee will continue to monitor ALA Connect and the ALCTS wiki, and explore their use for committee’s business
  • The committee will continue to add additional resources to the Holdings Resource page
  • The committee will explore topics and speakers for 2010 Midwinter Holdings Update Forum.
  • The committee will bring the proposal to add a non-voting liaison from the CONSER Publication Patterns Initiative to the Committee on Holdings Information
  • Holdings Update Forum 2009 ALA Annual Conference
  • The Forum was held on Saturday July 11, 3:30–5:30 p.m. Sixty-five individuals attended. The forum was titled “The changing landscape of serials holdings information” and panelists included: Steven Knowlton, Library Holdings Consultant, UMI/ProQuest; Moshe Efron, Vice President, Product Development, TDNet; and Les Hawkins, CONSER Coordinator, Library of Congress.

Policy & Planning Committee

The committee met to review the discussion started in ALA Connect and plan the next steps. The focus is an ongoing review of the charges for and structure of the CRS committees and drafting recommendations for how the Section can better meet the needs of its constituents. The committee will exclude award committees, the Executive Committee and the Nominating Committee from the review.

The goal is to establish concrete suggestions for revision of the charges or the possible reorganization of the committees and groups in the Continuing Resources Section, focusing on how the section should adapt and reform in the current economic and library environments. This is in correlation with the current division-level review of how to meet the needs of its constituents more effectively. For the remainder of the 2009/2010 year, committees will continue to operate under their current charges until changes are confirmed.

The discussion resulted in several items to pursue and continue to discuss:

  • The need for committees to review their current charges and post them in ALA Connect on their public pages.
  • The need for a “clearinghouse of experts” list, a central place for suggested speakers for section programming, and a place to document who is doing what kind of research. These could be maintained in ALA Connect as a wikiesque group.
  • The creation of a coordinating committee, formed by combining the Education and Research and Publications committees. The two committees would become two small subcommittees of a larger committee that facilitates work done by the section. This committee’s focus would be on planning, and task forces would be formed for individual topics such as webinars or to address hot topics; this focus on task forces allows for more fluidity within the section and possible virtual participation.
  • Changing the role of the Policy & Planning Committee to acting as more of a liaison within the section. In this new model, each Policy & Planning Committee member would be assigned to a CRS Committee. The committee member would coordinate activities between committees and the Executive Committee and report back to the Policy & Planning Committee.
  • Reviewing the charge of the Policy & Planning Committee to possibly include work with ALA Connect and the ALCTS Planning Database, focusing on available tools and committee functioning, mentoring/resources, recruiting, etc., all while keeping big picture and coordinating/awareness of individual committee activities. Determining how the committee charge should be expanded or refined in accordance with the new liaison role the committee may assume.
  • The need to broaden our awareness and coordinating efforts beyond the section to work with other sections and divisions (such as LITA) to reduce the amount of duplication of effort and events across ALA as a whole.
  • Discussion of the above topics will continue in ALA Connect. Committee members will be assigned as liaisons to the other CRS committees to work on reviewing and posting their charges by ALA Midwinter 2010. An update of the discussion and suggestions for next steps will be given to the Executive Committee at the 2010 ALA Midwinter Meeting.

Research & Publications Committee

Guidelines for Best Practice in Microforms Management in the Digital Age

Progress has been made on completing this publication, although it remains incomplete; the authors plan to have a final draft done in July.

ACTION: The outgoing committee chair will follow up with authors on progress of the final draft and will report back to the incoming committee chair.

ALA Connect

The committee discussed the usefulness of ALA Connect as a space for hot topics or for posting topics not yet ready for publication. This could be developed into a sort of ongoing literature review where people could see what hot topics. It can be difficult to make connections with people who want to do research, or to find people who might interested in working collaboratively on a similar topic. ALA Connect may be a way for people to make these kinds of connections. George Boston offered to attend an ALA Connect overview session to learn more about the possibilities.

Role of the Research and Publications Committee

The committee discussed the role of the R&P Committee within the CR Section. How can we use ALA Connect as a communications tools? What are the Publications Committees of the other ALCTS sections doing? The committee will take a wait-and-see approach until the new name and role of the Section’s Education Committee is finalized.

   Council of Regional Groups (CRG)

Affiliate Relations

Discussion

Review of committee purpose and procedures, including role of CRG wiki and email list and potential role of ALA Connect. Revised language in CRG article of the ALCTS bylaws should better accommodate the varied structures of potential affiliates.

Action Items

  • Maintain official directory of affiliates on CRG wiki.
  • Maintain currency of affiliate directory and CRG email list, and keep them in sync.
  • Secure wiki editor permission for all ARC members.
  • Post revised affiliate assignments (including new ARC members) on CRG wiki.
  • Re-establish links from CRG wiki to affiliate web sites.
  • Expand affiliate activity section on wiki.
  • Investigate ALA Connect as a tool for documenting ARC procedures and communicating with affiliates.
  • Investigate status of inactive or inaccessible affiliates (Michigan, MPLA, Virginia, SELA).
  • Summarize requirements and procedures for affiliation and post on CRG wiki.
  • Encourage and expedite affiliation of prospective groups in Arizona, Ohio, and Alaska.

Continuing Education Committee

The most important issue facing the CRG Continuing Education Committee this year is the reorganization of the ALCTS education committee structure. The committee will retain its core mission, which is to serve as a clearinghouse to share information about CE among ALCTS and its affiliated groups throughout the country.

Since the committee does not create or offer continuing education content, members plan to propose a new committee name to more clearly describe its scope. Committee members discussed what they want to do and be, and what new name or phrase best describes their core mission. Some initial ideas were: Educational Opportunities Clearinghouse; Educational Opportunities/Resources. The phrase “continuing education” is to be avoided.

Ideas shared at the 2009 ALA Annual Conference centered on the need to communicate the affiliates future plans to ALCTS members, and to find and publicize programs with content that people are interested in. Between now and Midwinter 2010, committee members will strive to add more new information to the CRG wiki.

A comment form will be added to the CRG wiki to enable readers to notify the committee about new content and relevant web sites. (Editing is not open, due to a continuing problem with spam and robots which create malicious pages.) Committee member Carolyn Goolsby has created the html and the committee is seeking people with expertise to help embed the form on the wiki. (Contact Louise Ratliff if interested)

In spring 2009, committee member Suhua Fan created a Twitter feed announcing CE programs and news of interest to the technical services community. It has 176 followers as of August 2009, including several libraries and educational organizations around the world. The 100 Best Twitter Feeds for Librarians of the Future list compiled by OnlineCourses.org was recently added.

Action Items

  1. Each member will come up with words and phrases for possible new names for the committee and share them on the discussion lists.
  2. Each member will find three electronic sources of content for the wiki and post them to the discussion list.
  3. The committee will come up with ideas about continuing education that could be presented as an ALCTS e-Forum.
  4. The committee will seek content developers for training programs.

Speaker’s Bureau

The number of speakers in the directory has increased from eighty-six to eighty-nine since January, 2009.

The investigation of the possibility to combine the SB directory with the ASCLA/OLOS/RUSA Directory of Peer Consultants and Speakers still finds the following questions unanswered.

  • Do the speakers in this directory charge for travel?
  • Are the speakers vetted, or do they just sign up?

The last few times committee members have checked the directory to try to find contact information, they have gotten a message that the site was down for maintenance. Due to problems with access and the unanswered questions, it is the committee’s recommendation not to combine with the ASCLA/OLOS/RUSA Directory of Peer Consultants and Speakers at this time.

Following the push at the 2009 ALA Midwinter Meeting for virtual committees, the Speaker’s Bureau is now a virtual committee, with work being done via e-mail.

Patricia Dragon distributed a survey to the CRG list on assessing use of the directory. There were fourteen respondents (eight academic libraries, four special libraries, one public library, and one consortium). Of the respondents, four had never heard of the directory, two had heard of it once, four had heard of it several times, and four had heard of it but never visited. None of the respondents had ever engaged a speaker. However, one had found their speaker previous to checking the directory and while checking the directory for a backup speaker also found their first choice listed there. Four respondents thought it would be somewhat likely that they visited the directory in the next year, six thought it would be very likely, and four said it would not very likely.

The reasons for using the directory were mostly multiple programs or training opportunities. The reasons for not using it were that the respondents was not familiar with the resource and not sure they could find it easily if they had not received information about it in the survey, their budget was too small to accommodate out of state speakers, and it was easier to go with word of mouth.

Things that would make the directory more useful are geographic access either by arrangement with an index or by sorting capabilities, more publicity, and a list of recent speaking engagements or presentations within the entries

A suggestion for adding more experts include collecting programs from the Regional Groups, but the person also thought this might be too time consuming.

   Preservation and Reformatting Section (PARS)

Program Planning & Publications Committee

There were 103 attendees at the 2009 ALA Annual Conference program “Managing Preservation without a Preservation Librarian.”

Programs for 2010 Annual Meeting

  • The Future of the Physical Book (tentative title) - Cosponsor with RBMS
  • Emerging Technologies in Preservation Research and Testing at the Library of Congress - Cosponsor with RBMS
  • Using Preservation to Leverage Libraries: Preservation Awareness Week – Cosponsor with PLA, AASL, and others
  • Preservation Film Festival 2010

Preservation Standards & Practices Committee

PARS Reorganization

Lots of people still confused about the organizational structure, who is in charge of what, and term dates, and general mission.

New Business

PS&P initiated programs for ALA Annual 2010 in Washington, D.C:

  • Print in the Age of Mass Digitization (Gary Frost and Debbie Nolan).
  • Library of Congress: Preservation Research and Testing Division program and tours (Holly Robertson organizing)

Interest Group Reports

The following groups made reports at the meeting.

  • Digital Conversion Interest Group (DCIG) – Preston Cabe and Janet Ahrburg
  • Digital Preservation Interest Group (DPIG) – Becky Ryder
  • Book and Paper Interest Group (BPIG) – Beth Doyle
  • Association for Information and Image Management (AIIM) report – Myron Chace

There has been no status and activities report for over a year. The purpose is to bring to the attention of PS&P any changes or opportunities to participate in AIIM activities and standard creation. There will be AIIM meetings in Philadelphia for the next few years. Chace reported on C10 Micrographic and C24 Electronic Imaging.

Action Items

Holly Robertson will send the group the PARS restructuring document to provide clarity on the reorganization

Members will solicit interest from their institutions/colleagues/interest groups to find someone to partner with Myron Chace (as a mentor) and serve as electronic imaging liaison to AIIM. Claire Stewart will help.

Holly Robertson will work with Myron Chace to send the report to PADG and solicit interest in becoming more involved in this area.

Future of PS&P: Virtual meeting a week ahead of ALA Midwinter, Annual, and then another two weeks later as follow-up.