Midwinter 2009 Reports

Committees Report on Conference Activities in Denver

The following reports summarize activity during meetings of ALCTS committees held during the 2009 ALA Midwinter Meeting in Denver. All reports that were received by the editor as of February 16, 2009 appears here. For information on interest groups not shown here, see the ALCTS Organization page on the ALCTS Web site.    

Division | Acquisitions Section | Cataloging and Classification Section | Collection Management and Development Section | Continuing Resources | Council of Regional Groups | Preservation and Reformatting Section    

Division Committees

Budget and Finance

The ALCTS Budget and Finance Committee (B&F) met twice during the 2009 ALA Midwinter Meeting. The main agenda items at the Friday meeting included a review of the FY 2009 budget’s first quarter report, an update from the Budget Analysis and Review Committee (BARC) liaison, and a review of the committee’s website revision plans. The FY 2009 first quarter report was reviewed and the group discussed various budget issues. It was noted that both Midwinter symposiums were well attended. Joan Giesecke, BARC liaison, provided the Committee with an overview of the current ALA 2009 budget and 2010 budget projections. Giesecke answered budget planning and expenditure questions. Committee members discussed the committee’s web site development and the information packets provided for the Finance 101 Workshop attended by Mary Beth Thomson on Friday afternoon. Charles Wilt provided the Committee with an overview of planned ALA Connect, ALA’s plan to provide members with one centralized place to do their ALA work and connect with other members around issues and interests relevant to the profession.

The main agenda items at the Sunday meeting included the FY2008 year-end report and the FY 2010 preliminary budget. Committee members were provided with an overview by Charles Wilt and discussed projected revenues and expenses. Mary Beth Thomson provided an update from the Budget and Planning Assembly held earlier that day. The Committee recommended that the FY 2010 preliminary budget be presented to the ALCTS Board for approval as discussed.

Between the Midwinter Meeting and Annual Conference, the committee will continue to work on the new FAQ for the revised B&F web page. Access to the current FAQ draft will be sent to the committee. Additional B&F web page content will be added as appropriate.

Education

The ALCTS Education Committee appointed a subcommittee to review evaluations of ALCTS courses. Information will be forwarded to current instructors and ALCTS sections about new Library Support Staff Certification Project (LSSCP) program.

The committee will draft a call for potential instructors for ALCTS courses.

The committee will review the ALCTS Education website updates pending the move to new site.

The Google Docs webinar list will be reviewed and updated before it is distributed to the ALCTS sections for ideas. The committee will follow up with the Strategic Planning Taskforce for completion of the document.

The committee plans to write a one page description of what makes a good webinar. They will also create webinar on how to do a webinar, and will prepare a draft letter to forward to section committees explaining the expectations for developing webinars.

Fundraising

The ALCTS Fundraising Committee engaged in the following activities during the 2009 ALA Midwinter Meeting in Denver:

  • Reviewed the Sponsorship Opportunities Guidelines and updated the amount for Exclusive Online Course Series Sponsor to $1500.
  • Reviewed the list of ALCTS programming events and made tentative committee liaison assignments and identified possible sponsors.
  • Committee members were given assignments to approach potential sponsors.
  • Heard from the ALCTS Executive Director regarding a proposal for a Preservation Awareness Week in 2010
  • Discussed with Christine Taylor the possibility of sending an ALCTS Sponsor logo to our supporters
  • Received an update on the status of the ACLTS website redesign
  • Heard a report from the ALCTS President about restructuring ALCTS and an organizational adaptability forum for annual on Monday, July 13 at 8 am.
  • There were no action items for the ALCTS Board.

International Relations

The committee heard the reports and remarks from the IFLA representatives: John Hostage (Cataloging), Glenn Patton (Bibliography), Sha Li Zhang (Acquisitions and Collection Development), David Miller (Classification & Indexing), Edward O’Neill (Classification & Indexing), Sue Kellerman (Newspapers), and Jeanne Drewes (Preservation & Conservation).

The committee reviewed and updated its action plan items:

  • IFLA nominations: The committee assisted and facilitated one new nomination, Qiang Jin (Cataloging) and one re-nomination, Lois Mai Chan (Knowledge Management). The nominations were approved by the ALCTS Executive Board and were forwarded to the ALA International Relations Committee.
  • Sha Li Zhang gave a presentation on the IFLA nomination process. She agreed to provide the committee with the text, which will serve as a foundation for the committee’s document on ALCTS IFLA nomination process. The item will be on the agenda for discussion at the 2009 ALA Annual Conference in Chicago.
  • ALCTS Online Grant for Librarians from Developing Countries: The committee is working closely with ALCTS Office, and will continue to implement this program:
  1. The guidelines and application form were finalized; all committee members participated actively and contributed to the final version of the guidelines;
  2. The interactive web submission form was developed by Susan Matveyeva and Sai Deng: it is available at
  3. The application form and guidelines were posted on the ALCTS website and are linked to several other pages by Christine Taylor;
  4. Several committee members participated in the advertising campaign. The announcements were sent to the numerous listservs, including: alaworld; CALA, EastLib and Slavic Librarian's listserv; Middle East Librarians Association; eastlib (Council on East Asian Libraries) listserv with a copy to the Director of CALIS (China Academic Library & Information System). African Studies and Latin-American Studies programs were also contacted; pcclblog posted information on the program, and the ALA International Relations Round Table Office helped to advertise the program, too;
  5. The registration for the first and second sessions of ALCTS web courses was open for a month (December 9, 2008- January 9, 2009) and is closed now;
  6. Seventy-four completed applications from twenty countries including Pakistan, Sri Lanka, China, Bangladesh, Uzbekistan, Ukraine, Nigeria, Chad, Zimbabwe, Kenya, Zambia, Turkey, United Arab Emirates, Morocco, Egypt, Fiji, Marshall Islands, and Mexico were received. There were also two applications from foreign students currently studying in Norway and United States. Since the program was not intended for foreign students studying in Western countries, the guidelines will need to be clarified. The guidelines will also need to be clarified to convey that employees of United States affiliated institutions, such as U.S. Embassies or, American universities in developing countries are not eligible for this program.
  7. The chairperson developed guidelines for reviewing the applications and Excel tables for scoring required and preferred qualities.
  8. The committee reviewed the applications and chose fourteen winners. The decision was approved by the ALCTS Executive Director.
  9. The next step is to ensure that the program works. Evaluation forms will be developed for use by program recipients and instructors. It is hoped that the first participants will provide the committee with information that that will enable them to finalize shaping the current pilot program into a sustainable one.
  • The committee discussed the publication project for ALCTS international activities. The chairperson contacted the editors of ALCTS Newsletter Online ( ANO) and International Leads and got positive responses. Committee members identified several notable librarians prominent on the international scale; some of them were contacted. We plan to interview these individuals, write the articles, and submit them to ANO. The first article of the ALCTS IRC new series “Profiles of International Librarians” was published in the December issue of International Leads. Paul Hover interviewed Lesley Moyo, a native of Zambia, who is now the Director for Research and Instructional Services at Virginia Tech’s University Library. In addition, the committee plans to interview ALCTS international members. The updated list of ALCTS international members was requested and received by chairperson.
  • IRC website contents: Sai Deng updates the committee’s website. The 2008 IFLA representatives’ reports have been added. The IFLA representatives suggested enhancing the IRC web site with the links to the IFLA newsletters and the appropriate sections web pages. The committee minutes will be posted to the website.

Leadership Development

The committee approved the minutes from its last meeting in Anaheim. The committee reviewed the selection of the 2009 ALCTS-sponsored ALA Emerging Leader Melissa DeFino and discussed her project, researching and expanding information on a wiki for CALM, the ALA/SAA/AAM Joint Committee on Archives, Libraries, and Museums. She will serve with a Board mentor on the ALCTS Board in the year following her project and will get an inside view of the workings of ALCTS.

Speakers and co-sponsors have been finalized for the Chicago 2009 program “Leadership Development in Transition: Steering the Ship from Helm and Deck.” Melinda Flannery and Beth Tice are the program co-chairs. Additional program refinement will take place in the spring through list discussions and conference calls. The committee has put off using the existing online community space this year because of the impending switch to ALA Connect.

The committee discussed its ALCTS Volunteer Forum, which was well-planned and reviewed but poorly attended. The ALCTS Board is interested in reviewing the thrust of the Volunteer Forum, the New Leaders Orientation (both sponsored by Leadership Development) and other ALCTS welcoming efforts. Fannie Cox and Marijo Wilson agreed to undertake a review of the committee’s webpage in collaboration with the ALCTS Office.

The committee’s remaining agenda items were: 2010 program planning, possible expansion of new leaders orientation wiki, and the fact that news from the ALCTS Division Chairs meeting will be addressed electronically between Midwinter and Annual Conference.

LRTS Editorial Board

Editor-in-Chief Peggy Johnson reported on the progress toward implementing the online manuscript management system, planned for this spring. Johnson reviewed her editor’s annual report and Edward Swanson provided his book review editor’s report. Martha Whittaker (the new board member for marketing) reported on her activities to date.

The 2008 Best of LRTS paper also received the Blackwell Scholarship Award. The board discussed how the editor can provide feedback after reviewers submit their paper reviews to the editor. Finally, board members reported on their activities to solicit manuscripts.

Membership

The Committee discussed activities for Annual. ALCTS 101 will be a Friday evening meet-and-greet event. John Chrastka explained that ALCTS "Mini-101" will be an option for the ALA Pavilion. Christine Taylor from the ALCTS Office provided ideas about the events. She also explained the development of the new ALCTS website and how the Committee can help with its updating.

The committee discussed ideas for utilizing the fast-growing Facebook presence.

ALCTS President Dina Giambi and ALCTS President-Elect Mary Case reported on the prior day's session about an ALCTS restructuring. The concept of the "community of practice" sparked a lot of comment.

The committee praised intern Julian Clark's work to create an ALCTS Wikipedia entry, and concluded by reviewing and updating the 2008 Annual Action Item list.

Organization and Bylaws

The minutes from the meeting at the 2008 ALA Annual Conference in Anaheim were unanimously approved. Art Miller reported on ALCTS interest groups that were meeting at the Midwinter Meeting that had submitted reports on their meetings from the 2008 ALA Annual Conference. There was general discussion on how best to spot monitor IG programs and activities.

The committee reviewed petitions from the following interest groups and recommended them for renewal:

  • Catalog Form & Function
  • Networked Resources & Metadata
  • Publisher-Vendor-Library-Relations
  • Technical Services Managers in Academic Libraries

The Networked Resources & Metadata IG petition included a request to change its name to “Metadata Interest Group.” Concerns were expressed about the new name being overly broad and suggesting overlap with other ALCTS groups that work with metadata, but the committee did endorse its renewal. The petition for the Publisher-Vendor-Library-Relations IG showed a slight decline in attendance at their meetings over the last three to four years. The committee recommended approval, but agreed to continue to watch attendance.

A petition for a fourth group, the LITA/ALCTS MARC Formats Interest Group was reviewed, but the committee postponed its recommendation pending more information on whether the group has stable leadership. Concern was also expressed since the group was not listed either in the ALA Handbook or on the web. Chair Dale Swensen will pursue clarification regarding the leadership issue with the acting chair of the group.

Swensen expressed his belief that O&B should continue to discuss the relationship between interest groups, the division, and the sections. He planned to email his concerns to his committee members.

ALCTS President Dina Giambi and President-Elect Mary Case visited to hear any concerns the committee might have and to observe the committee in action. President Giambi congratulated the committee on their vigor and effort.

Planning

Prior to the 2009 ALA Midwinter Meeting, all members of the committee worked hard to contact their constituent groups. Their goal was to encourage each committee and IG to participate in fulfilling the goals of the ALCTS Strategic Plan, and to add its items to the Strategic Planning Database. Most Planning members were able to contact their groups, but some received no replies. Some contact information, particularly for interest groups, may be outdated. The committee will work with the ALCTS Office to obtain the most current information.

Members reported on their groups’ strategic items, and on their use of the strategic planning database. Participation in the database currently seems to be spotty. The committee plans to ensure that all committee and IG members know about the database, and see value in contributing to it. The chair will contribute a brief (and hopefully perky) article to an upcoming ANO, to help spread the word about the database and round up more participation. The committee will identify potential uses and contributions of the database, as it seeks to make ALCTS highly adaptable and to give many members a chance to play leadership roles.

Committee members established additional guidelines for database entries, particularly for individual items in publication series and individual structured discussions sponsored by IGs. They will continue to compile a list of suggested enhancements for the next version of the database.

Following a stimulating discussion with ALCTS President Dina Giambi and President-Elect Mary Case about the possible restructuring of ALCTS, the committee reviewed groups’ activities within the context of the Strategic Plan, to get a sense of where they are in meeting each goal. The chair will find out if there is a division strategic planning calendar and an expectation of a mid-course review, as the committee plans its activities for the rest of the year.

Program

The Program Committee met with nineteen preconference and program planners at the 2009 ALA Midwinter Meeting in Denver. The committee discussed, refined and approved a total of five preconferences and fifteen programs for presentation at the 2009 ALA Annual Conference in Chicago.

The committee also heard from ALCTS President Dina Giambi and her plans for the President’s Program in Chicago.

Finally, the Committee was asked to nominate two programs for potential selection for webcasting during the 2009 Annual Conference in Chicago. “Managing Preservation Without a Preservation Librarian” and “Resuscitating the Catalog: Next-Generation Strategies for Keeping the Catalog Relevant,” were suggested as two programs that are likely to have broad appeal.

Publications

The Publications Committee heard reports from the section publications representatives and the ex-officio committee members. Highlights of these reports include:

  • The Acquisitions Section has two manuscripts almost ready for review ( Guide to Media Acquisitions and Guide to Online Approval Plans). A third guide ( Performance Evaluation of Library Vendors) should be ready later this year.
  • CCS has two updated essays ready for review by the CCS Executive Committee.
  • CMDS has a number of manuscripts that are expected this spring. In addition, CMDS is considering ways it can market its publications to non-ALCTS members, particularly RUSA members.
  • CRS is expecting one manuscript in April.
  • PARS did not have a report, as it meets on Monday.
  • Peggy Johnson gave her report on LRTS, including very positive news regarding the manuscript tracking system and the MetaPress arrangement.
  • Anne Sleeman provided the status of manuscripts in the Paper Series. Three monographs are either in hand or expected in the very near future.
  • Narda Tafuri gave an update on the work being done on LMPI. She suggested making the article available in ANO or the website after an appropriate embargo. She will discuss with Charles to see what our arrangement with Bowker permits.

Additional topics discussed included:

  • ALCTS President Dina Giambi and ALCTS President-Elect Mary Case stopped by to introduce themselves and discuss the organizational adaptability initiative. They solicited thoughts from the committee on possible models/ideas. Peggy Johnson’s suggestion of a new members group was well received. Further discussion of this topic will take place on the e-forum and at the 2009 ALA Annual Conference.
  • The committee agreed to propose a program for the 2010 Annual Conference. Stephen Dew agreed to serve as program chair. The topic still needs to be fleshed out, but will be related to getting published.
  • Sion Romaine gave an update on his Collage training. Given the work necessary to get publications onto the new website, he suggested having additional Publications members contribute to this work. Hester Campbell agreed to receive training in the spring to help Sion populate the Publications website with content.
  • The committee discussed the open access pilot and the hopes to mount a few books by the 2009 ALA Annual Conference. ALCTS Paper Series Editor Anne Sleeman and her editorial board would like to identify select Paper Series titles for the project as well.
Paper Series Editor

The Board approved the minutes of the January 12, 2008 meeting as submitted. They also approved the report on Board activities submitted by the chair to the ANO in July 2008.

In response to a request for marketing help from the ALCTS Office, Board members suggested that ALCTS might consider placing regular ads and/or news items placed in ANO and LRTS for ALCTS Papers Series publications.

Papers Series Editorial Board members reported on individual volumes in progress:

  • Hall-Ellis publication: The revised manuscript for this publication of the preconference papers from “What They Don’t Teach in Library School: Competencies, Education and Employer Expectations for a Career in Cataloging” is expected by the end of January 2009.
  • Hepfer and Bluh publication: The manuscript for the publication of the papers on Risk and Entrepreneurship in Libraries: Seizing Opportunities for Change is expected by the end of February 2009.

In New Business, the Board reviewed the Papers Series web presence as it currently appears on the ALCTS website. Recommendations were made for improvement.

The Board also reviewed sources of information about programming to yield potential publications. Proposal forms for volumes in the ALCTS Papers Series were distributed to five sets of program planners at the Program Committee meeting at this Midwinter Meeting. The Editor will follow up with them in about three months (midway to the 2009 ALA Annual Conference) to encourage submission.

The next meeting of the ALCTS Papers Series Editorial Board will be at the 2009 ALA Annual Conference in Chicago on Saturday July 11, 2009 from 3:30-5:30 pm.

Top    

Acquisitions Section Committees

Executive Committee

Executive Board Actions

The Policy and Planning Committee recommended disbanding the Gifts Interest Group. The current chair has been notified and is in agreement, as is the AS Executive Committee. Decision: The Gifts Interest Group is disbanded, effective immediately.

ALCTS Reorganization Discussion focused on the Acquisitions Section: The Executive Committee discussed the results of the section survey. Of the 115 responses, 60 percent had only one to five years as Section members; 70 percent have never served on a committee; and the array of job titles is very diverse. Member responses gave no clear direction on organizational change they would like to see, but most agreed that the Acquisitions Section name does not reflect the realities in their local institutions, particularly their involvement in electronic resources and cataloging activities. They also perceived an overlap with all other Sections. The Executive Committee considered possible ways to involve more of the membership in discussion about future directions. A mere name change does not seem to address the issues the survey raised. The Executive Committee recommends conversations with the ALCTS Board and with other sections about change opportunities.

Upcoming Programs

2009 (Chicago): The Acquisitions Section has a program and a preconference on track for Annual 2009. The Technology Committee is sponsoring a program on XML (co-sponsored by LITA) and the Organization and Management Committee is sponsoring a preconference on Streaming Media.

2010: The Research and Statistics Committee is proposing a program for 2010 on e-book assessment. The Technology Committee is considering from among three possible topics.

The Publications Committee reports that two manuscripts are near completion and should be submitted to AS Exec by early spring. There are five other publications in the pipeline.

Education

The committee’s main item of business was planning for the “Streaming Media and Proliferating E-books: Acquiring and Managing Emerging Formats” preconference at the 2009ALA Annual Conference in Chicago. The full-day preconference is slated for Thursday July 9, 2009. The committee reviewed the slate of speakers and planned content. The program is well on track.

Janet Siar, the ALCTS Education Committee liaison, was present and reported that they will be sharing a list of suggested topics from the membership that would be appropriate for the Acquisitions Section. This list will be used to help determine the topic for upcoming educational events or conference programs. The committee is particularly interested in planning a webinar and a program for the 2010 ALA Annual Conference.

The committee completed the questionnaire for review by the Acquisitions Section Policy and Planning Committee. In addition, Janet Siar and Julia Gammon, chair of ALCTS Education Committee, were present at the meeting to discuss ALCTS’ interest in ensuring efficient and effective delivery of education to members. The committee feels they have important work to do in cooperation with ALCTS Education, and would benefit from a larger committee with acquisition and electronic resources expertise to develop educational opportunities.

Publications

  • Draft manuscripts of the Guide to Media Acquisitions (planning database #192) and the Guide to Online Approval Plans (#262) were reviewed. Final manuscripts will be submitted for publication within a month.
  • Draft chapters of the Guide to Performance Evaluation of Library Vendors (#283) were reviewed and suggestions for direction, revision, etc. will be conveyed to the authors.
  • A draft outline of Guidelines for Handling Library Orders for In-Print Monographic Publications (#263) was reviewed and suggestions for direction, revision, etc. will be conveyed to the author.
  • New proposals for Guide to Good Business Practices (#279) and Guide to Managing an ERM (#284) will be submitted within a month.
  • A new proposal to revise Understanding the Business of Library Acquisitions will be submitted once approval from ALA Editions is received.

Research and Statistics

The committee is planning a program for the 2010 ALA Annual Conference that is tentatively titled “E-Books: You Bought Them! Was it Worth It?” The committee will finalize plans for this collection assessment program over the next few months for presentation to the Program Committee. The committee also discussed a possible forum topic related to streaming media.

Technology

Plans for the program “The Power of XML to Enhance Workflow and Discovery” which will take place at the 2009 ALA Annual Conference, were discussed. Miloche Kottman reported on her meeting with the Program Committee earlier in the day. The Program Committee suggested some format changes to the description and gave a reminder of the deadline for filling out the AV section of the meeting request form. Janet Lute will introduce the speakers and Maureen Grant will provide meeting evaluation forms. The committee spent the remainder of the meeting discussing ideas for the committee’s 2010 program. Three different topic ideas were discussed:

  1. Impact of online selection and how to get the information into the ILS,
  2. Next generation library automation and the implications for acquisitions, and
  3. Extracting data from the ILS, e.g. statistics, reports, etc.

The committee will continue discussion via email and conference calls prior to the 2009 Annual Conference. Grant has volunteered to take the program proposal to the Program Committee at Annual.

Top    

Cataloging and Classification Section Committees

Committee on Cataloging: Asian and African Materials

Highlights from the agenda include:

1. Introductions and approvals

1.1. Approval of agenda

1.2. Approval of minutes

Agenda approved; minutes from 2008 Annual have some minor corrections that will be made before sending to ALCTS webmaster for posting to website.

2. CC:DA report (Keiko Suzuki)

The majority of this report commented on the various activities taking place within CC:DA, including DCRM9S) review report, 5JSC/Chair/13 response to Consideration of Proposals from the ISBD Review group, and the creation of a task force for Review of ISBD Area 0. Specific to CC:AAM was the response in October 2008 made by CC:AAM to Proposals from the ISBD Review Group concerning the counting of words in CJK language materials and the problems thereof. This is explained further in the following item.

3. RDA Task Force Developments (Hideyuki Morimoto)

Mr. Hideyuki reported on the group’s progress to date, among the highlights:

  • CC:DA referred 5JSC/Chair/13 (7 October 2008), issue #2 on October 13, 2008, pertaining to difficulty, reported from the ISBD Review Group to JSC, with counting words in Chinese, Japanese, and Korean, for determining whether or not any change has occurred within the first five or six words of serial titles proper. The overall consensus of CC:AAM respondents noted that “without Romanization, counting Chinese, Japanese, and Korean words in serial titles would be a somewhat cumbersome process.” With regards to the counting of characters, “members more or less appeared to feel that a change, among ALA constituents, to the current practice of counting words of Chinese, Japanese, and Korean serial titles proper would be feasible, if it indeed becomes necessary, without much disruption in this regard to current bibliographic records that ALA constituents have for Chinese, Japanese, and Korean serials.” [full text of CC:AAM response is available for review].
  • RDA, full draft (fall 2008) was released for review on November 17, 2008. The TF reviewed and commented on the draft, submitting finalized comments to the CC:DA Wiki site early December 2007.

4. Update on Korean Romanization and word division guidelines (Philip Melzer)

Melzer thanked the committee for its detailed input into the proposed document revising Korean Romanization and word division guidelines. Some members of CC:AAM pointed out that not all of CC:AAM’s recommendations were included in the final version, and wondered why. Concerns centered on the clarification of Japanese and Chinese names represented in Korean; special sections were devised for Western names, why not Japanese or Chinese names, which continue to be a problem when dealing with Korean materials; why were these not reflected in the final document? Melzer will investigate the issue and promised to send CC:AAM a response by e-mail. He also formally presented a print copy of the latest version of the guidelines for review which were posted to the CC:AAM listserv the previous day.

5. CORMOSEA collective input on ISO Thai transliteration (Virginia Shih)

Shih reported that there were several difficulties in reviewing the ISO Thai transliteration table. The first problem was administrative: in spite of being charged with seeking review comments for this table, she was prevented from distributing the table due to NISO proprietary regulations. She turned to CORMOSEA colleagues and also received input from Thai faculty specialists. From a cataloging perspective, the ISO table is not of major concern or use to the cataloging community; nevertheless a ten-page response was drafted and sent to NISO; as of this writing no response has been received.

6. ALC Executive Committee letter to request the prioritization of Ethiopic (Charles Riley)

This is included in the discussion with agenda item 7 below.

7. Proposed ALA-LC Romanization chart for Vai (Charles Riley)

Laverne Page (Library of Congress), Ruby Bell-Gam (Northwestern), and Atoma Batoma (Illinois, CC:AAM Africana specialist) first presented a letter from ALC drafted to Glenn Patton of OCLC requesting the prioritization of Ethiopic script to be among the scripts available for the creation of shared bibliographic records. The letter was written at the suggestion of the CC:AAM chair following a model set by MELA in 2007. At the greater level, the general idea of “how do new scripts get added by OCLC?” was discussed, and even Giles Martin, OCLC representative, could not provide an answer. In all cases, it was generally suggested that to justify the addition of new scripts (as had been done before for Thai, Tami, and Devanagari, etc. scripts in 2006) some sort of vetting should include:

  • Recognition of an increase in the publication of printed and other materials in Ethiopic script; that said materials are being actively collected by North American libraries.
  • Acknowledgement of the existence of established standards in technology, including IMEs and fonts, to type Ethiopic characters and use these in bibliographic records
  • Recognition of cataloging librarians in North America in particular, to create shared bibliographic records in Ethiopic scripts.
  • Interest by libraries or publishers/vendors in supplying Ethiopic script records to the cataloging data stream.

Further discussion included Agenda Item 8 (below). The Working Group for Defining Specific Scripts and Language Support in Libraries sent out institution-level surveys in December 2008, and again in January 2009 asking for libraries to identify those scripts it felt were important to have support for in library automated systems. To this end, CC:AAM recommended that ALC libraries having an interest in bringing Ethiopic to a high priority should work at their respective institutions to include this script as an institutional priority; the more institutions claiming an interest, the chances are (theoretically) greater that such implementation by OCLC and ILS vendors will take place. ALC members present were not aware of such a survey; after review it was realized that the Working Group’s survey likely did not receive widespread. William Kopycki (Working Group member) agreed to bring this news back to the rest of the Group for discussion.

Following this advice was the discussion of Agenda Item 6, proposal for Vai Romanization. A table was distributed to the group. Those present commented that the table lacked the scholarly apparatus describing the background and justification, examples of application and use, as found in other LC/ALA Romanization tables. Batoma will take the table back to the interested parties for the addition of these materials. The main obstacle is that the Romanization table proposes the use of characters from the Unicode Extended Latin character set, which are currently unavailable in MARC-8. Before this table can be adopted, there must be the capacity of shared bibliographic records to support Extended Latin. Discussion returned to the Working Group and the intention to survey and subsequently propose that Extended Latin be prioritized for inclusion in OCLC and ILSs. Doing so would solve many problems for other languages/scripts not currently available.

8. ALCTS Working Group for Defining Specific Scripts and Language Support in Library (William Kopycki)

[The mission and activities of this group were discussed in full in the context of the previous two agenda items.]

9. Review of CC:AAM charges and roles (Sandra Macke)

Macke presented the questionnaire and discussed the process. Of greatest concern was the suggestion that CC:AAM is having difficulty retaining representatives from CONSALD and CORMOSEA because single cataloging librarians from each of these communities are unable to make a two-meeting commitment to ALA. It was suggested that options for “virtual membership” or other arrangements be permitted to enable representation. This requires further discussion as to the role and responsibility of all parties in examining the problem and seeking a useful solution.

CC:AAM will work on submitting the completed questionnaire to CCS-Exec by the deadline on March 1, 2009.

10. Community updates (submitted by email in advance; a three to five minute summary presentations on-site will be given if time permits):

10.1 LC report (Philip Melzer)

10.2 OCLC report (Giles Martin)

10.3 ALC Cataloging Committee (Atoma Batoma)

10.4 CEAL (Dawn Lawson, via e-mail)

10.5 MELA (William Kopycki)

(All reports were submitted by e-mail and two-minute highlights were read from each. These will all be included with the final minutes of this meeting)

11. AOB/Announcements

The Chair noted the need to brainstorm for a program for the 2010 ALA Annual Conference; it is essential that CC:AAM continue to do activities of mutual interest and benefit to the community as part of its mission. He suggested a topic of non-Roman script vendor records and their use/utility in cataloging workflows as a general theme of a program.

Cataloging of Children’s Materials Committee

After approval of the minutes from the Annual meeting in Anaheim, there were reports from various committee liaisons including Jane Gilcrest from the Library of Congress, Joseph Miller from H.W. Wilson (Sears) and other children’s materials vendors. In addition, the committee will seek to have some sort of representation (perhaps a booth in the exhibit hall) at the AASL Conference this fall as interest in cataloging and cataloging problems strong at the 2007 AASL Conference Exploratorium presentation.

Liaison reports were interrupted by Magda El-Sherbini who presented information about the ALCTS Non-English Language Task Force and specifically about recommendation nine which directly involves the committee. No specific course of action was given by the Task Force so the committee decided to plan a program for the 2010 Annual meetings. AASL and ALSC will be contacted to obtain their viewpoints and representation at the program as outlined in the recommendations.

Following the liaison reports, the committee discussed ALA Publications’ decision to have specific authors for the fifth edition of Cataloging Correctly for Kids rather than have committee members author chapters within the book. The committee was incensed with this decision and drafted a protest to be presented to the ALCTS Executive Committee. Later events proved however that initial reports of specific authors was untrue.

Committee on Cataloging: Description and Access

CC:DA conducted its standing order of business: Introduction of members, correction and approval of previous minutes, adoption of agenda, confirmation of actions taken since the previous meeting, a report of the JSC representative, and a report of the LC representative. The report of the JSC representative, which in recent years has involved significant discussion of pending RDA drafts, was relatively brief, owing to the timeline for review of the current draft. The committee also received reports from the following: the Chair of the RDA Implementation Task Force, the Assistant Executive Director of ALA Publishing Services, the MARBI representative (Attig substituting), and the CC:DA Webmaster. The committee discussed the report of the Task Force for Review of the proposed ISBD Area 0, and returned it for minor edits in preparation for submitting a formal response to IFLA on the proposal. The committee also discussed the renewal of the CC:DA charge. Lastly, the Chair of the CCS Executive Committee heard follow up comments from CC:DA members regarding the issues raised in CC:DA’s report to CCS Exec of strategic issues with RDA. These comments addressed ongoing concerns with aspects of the RDA development process, including content and publication issues, which were felt to be barriers to successful implementation. CC:DA’s meetings at the 2009ALA Annual Conference in Chicago are tentatively scheduled for

  • Friday, July 10, 1:30-5:30 p.m.
  • Saturday, July 11, 1:30-5:30 p.m.
  • Monday, July 13, 8:00 a.m.-noon

The final dates and times will be configured to avoid conflict as much as possible with the RDA Implementation Task Force’s programs.

Continuing Education Training Materials

All Catalogers Learning Workshop (CLW) course materials are now available for free on the CLW website. Processing of several courses was completed after the 2008 ALA Annual Conference, and all are now posted on the website except for Metadata Standards and Applications, which is still in process.

Tracking workshops offered continues to be a challenge. The guidelines for workshop sponsors instruct sponsors to notify CLW when scheduling a workshop, but this frequently does not happen. The link to workshop schedules is not currently on the web pages, but will soon be restored. The response to web page revisions in general has been very positive.

Danielle Plumer described the IMLS grant received by Texas State Library and Archives Commission (TSLAC), “Train to Share: Interoperability Training for Cultural Heritage Institutions.” As part of the grant, trainers will adapt the five Cat21 courses and saturate the state with these workshops, using both face-to-face instruction and online presentations. Plumer shared the group’s plan for assessing and adapting the content, testing, and launching the training. Revisions and online conversions will be shared with CLW. Plumer will send copies of the twice-yearly grant reports to the CETM chair and is also receptive to the idea of having a CETM member serve as a remote member of the Grant Advisory Committee, which will review feedback from presentations to focus groups.

CETM conducted a survey of all current trainers for CCT and Cat21 courses to help gauge the supply and demand for trainers and workshops, the potential need for additional train-the-trainer workshops, and the need for course revisions. The committee discussed the raw data collected; full analysis will be done after the 2009 ALA Midwinter Meeting, and shared with CCS, the PCC Standing Committee on Training, ALCTS, and CLW.

The committee discussed some of the challenges identified by survey respondents, including adequate publicity for workshops, identifying appropriate classroom space, expense, and content requiring frequent updating. Some courses are in need of additional trainers.

Action items from this initial review of results:

  1. Create a checklist of topics for trainers that must be discussed with the workshop sponsors, to ensure clarity about issues such as publicity, classroom requirements, needs assessment, etc., and to educate trainers about resources such as CRG, which can help with publicity.
  2. Create a separate document listing links to online content for each workshop and the modules/pages in the manuals where they appear. CETM should check these periodically, and trainers should check before instruction. In future course revisions, consider ways to reduce or eliminate links to frequently-changing content.
  3. Corrections to trainers’ information will be used to update trainer lists and the CatCE discussion list.
  4. Changes identified for specific courses will be used to help prioritize the next round of revisions. A high priority is the incorporation of information on provider-neutral e-monographs to Rules and Tools.
  5. CETM would like to create a committee web page on the ALA server, which could help to disseminate information to trainers and also help collect feedback from trainers about course content and delivery.

The committee discussed its role and plans in light of the new model of providing the jointly-developed course content free of charge, and the dissolution of the memorandum of understanding between ALCTS and the PCC. The committee will consider which of the courses may have limited viability in the future, and which are of highest value for revision and continuing use.

There is great interest in converting some of the course content to webinars, to help address the challenge of increasing travel expenses and shrinking budgets. The committee chair will explore current software options and the status of similar projects, and the group will identify segments of workshops that might work well in a web format.

Nominating

The Committee met and produced a slate of nominees for the Section’s awards

Policy and Planning

There were no recommendations for the ALCTS Executive Board or the CCS Executive Committee action. There were preliminary reports on the two committee charge reviews being performed this year: CC:AAM and CC:DA. Issues mentioned include CC:AAM’s desire for virtual membership to get needed specialists to participate in the committee’s work ; how, if and when subject analysis is included in RDA, CC:DA will coordinate its work with that of SAC; 3. The scope of the ALCTS Planning Database as discussed by the ALCTS Planning Committee: one entry will be made for each Interest Group program/event.

Top    

Collection Management and Development Section Committees

Executive Committee

Susan Thomas has completed the inventory of current CMDS content on the ALCTS website. Kathy Mitchell and she will prepare a preliminary list of content to add to the site. Susan will also receive training on maintaining the website.

The CMDS Forum at Annual 2009 will focus on assessment for cancellations. The Collection Assessment Committee, chaired by Cory Tucker, will coordinate the forum’s content.

The Collection Assessment Committee plans to propose a revised version of the Guide to the Evaluation of Library Collections. The guide was last published in 1989.

The Education Committee has made recommendations for revising the first draft of “Fundamentals of Collection Assessment;” the course developers will submit a second draft for review in April. The goal is to have the new course online by the end of 2009.

Using the PARS reorganization as a model, the section will explore alternative structures to maximize its organizational adaptability.

Administration of Collection Development

The committee devoted the majority of its meeting to program planning. The committee has been approved to present a panel program at the 2009 ALA Annual Conference. Major topics discussed included confirmation of planned panelists and developing ideas for backup panelists if needed.

The program is currently titled "The Open Knowledge Commons and Library Collections: The Other Scan Plan" and will feature the following panelists:

  • Maura Marx, Executive Director, Open Knowledge Commons;
  • Betsy Kruger, Associate Professor, Digital Content Creation, The University Library at UIUC; and
  • Heather Christenson, Mass Digitization Project Manager, California Digital Library.

The presentation of this program is directly related to "Goal Area 3" of the ALCTS Strategic Plan by developing "innovative programs and publications that are responsive to the needs of the membership."

Collection Development and Electronic Media

CDER and the CMDS Interest Group on Collection Development in Academic Libraries co-sponsored a discussion group at the 2009 ALA Midwinter Meeting, which took place on Saturday, January 24. There were two discussion topics: e-books and usage statistics. Attendance topped out at eighty.

CDER will sponsor a program, "Collecting for Digital Repositories: New Ways to Disseminate and Share Information" at the 2009 ALA Annual Conference in Chicago. Three presenters will discuss collection development and management practices of three types of digital repository (institutional, disciplinary, and data). They will focus on selection criteria, content recruitment, and the role of digital repositories in scholarly communication. Raym Crow, SPARC, will moderate. Presenters and topics include:

  • on institutional repository: Paul Royster, University of Nebraska-Lincoln
  • on disciplinary repository (PubMed Central): Dianne McCutcheon, National Library of Medicine
  • on data repository: Sayeed Choudhury, Johns Hopkins

The program will take plact Sunday, July 12, 3:30-5:30 pm. Co-sponsors are ACRL Scholarly Communications Committee and ACRL Education and Behavioral Sciences Section Electronic Resources in Communication Studies Committee.

The Committee discussed whether we should sponsor and facilitate an eforum. We tentatively agreed that we will sponsor an eforum on e-books. Committee members will discuss the idea further in a conference call.

The Committee brainstormed for possible program topics at the 2010 ALA Annual Conference. Suggested topics include:

  • Getting out of Big Deals
  • Collaborative collection development
  • Patron-driven collection development
  • Federated searching
  • Pricing models explained (vendors and librarians on panel)
  • SERU

Committee members will further discuss the topics to identify the most promising one.

Education

CMDS Education made recommendations for revising the first draft of “Fundamentals of Collection Assessment;” the course developers will submit a second draft for review in April. The goal is to have the new course online by the end of 2009. The committee discussed webinars; the ALCTS Office has had some technical difficulties with the weeding webinar delivered this fall but expects to offer it soon. Two other webinars, on e-book options for academic libraries and on how to get started as a selector for an unfamiliar subject, are in progress for delivery later this year. Online continuing education is in high demand by librarians with tight travel budgets and CMDS Education is looking for conference programs that can be adapted as webinars. Please email Ginger Williams with suggestions for a great collection development webinar.

Policy and Planning

The committee chair is expecting emails from the chairs of RUSA CODES and the PLA Collection Management Committee in response to the invitation extended by the CMDS Policy and Planning Committee to co-sponsor the program “Collection Development 2.0” at the 2009 ALA Annual Conference. If these two groups accept the invitation, one of the tasks they will undertake is to help with publicity. Plans are to distribute information about the program to discussion lists one month before and again two weeks before the Annual Conference.

The committee reviewed the program format (panel discussion) which is scheduled for Saturday July 11, 3:30-5:30 p.m. The program will feature three speakers who will have twenty minutes to speak. Austin Booth suggested creating a short bibliography of key articles on the direction in which collection development is going for distribution at the session. She will identify these titles and prepare a list. The chair will encourage speakers to point to websites and or post their presentation on the ALCTS website. There was a question regarding the availability of space (CMDS or wiki) for bibliographies or presentations. The chair will follow up with the CMDS Executive Committee.

The chair will introduce Stephen Harris (University of New Mexico), the panel moderator, and Harris will introduce the speakers. A question and answer session will follow the speakers. The speakers are:

  • Jonathan Abe (SIU)
  • Martha White (Lexington [KY] Public Library)
  • Rick Anderson (University of Utah)

Various jobs for committee members to do during the annual program were discussed and the chair will try to involve those who are unable to attend the conference. For example, an evaluation form will be sent to a volunteer who cannot be at the conference to plug in the names of the speakers.

Genevieve Owens and Kathy Tezla joined the Committee and discussed plans to reorganize ALCTS. Some of the ideas discussed include looking at PLA which has reorganized; using “communities of practice” which would replace standing committees; and merging committees. Owens will appoint a task force to look at potential modes for restructuring CMDS. There was also discussion on how CMDS members see themselves fitting into the ALCTS division.

Publications

Sudden Selector Series

The committee reviewed the status of the titles in this series. Guides in progress: These are GLBITQ, Biology, English and Art. Of these, the Biology Guide is the closest to being submitted although the series editor is also optimistic that the GLBITQ and Art guides will be completed this year.

Guides under revision: The author of the Chemistry guide submitted a completed draft in the fall and it has been returned to her for minor edits. The author plans to complete the revisions in April.

Guides completed: The Communications Guide is hot off the press, but was not available in the ALA Bookstore at the 2009 ALA Midwinter Meeting.

Guides rejected: The series editor and the committee declined to publish one manuscript this fall.

Potential guides: The committee is interested in the following topics for future guides: media, children’s literature for academic libraries, engineering, agriculture, religion, history and geography/GIS.

The committee discussed a suggestion that an editorial board should be appointed for this series. If the responsibility for managing this series could be handled by a subcommittee, CMDS Publications would have more time to devote to other publication projects. This suggestion was well-received and will be discussed again at the 2009 ALA Annual Conference. The committee also agreed to ask an outside reader to review future manuscripts if committee members lack the appropriate subject expertise, and to ask potential authors to provide evidence of a solid publication track record as part of the proposal process for this series.

The committee tried to identify possible authors for a revision of CMDS guide #8 (Bibliographers Manual) which was published in 1989. A committee member will approach one of these potential authors before the 2009 Annual Conference. Members will follow up on working with the CMDS Assessment Committee on revisions of guides #2 (Evaluation) and #11 (Library User Needs Assessment for Integrated Resource Management & Collection Development).

The committee noted the need to nurture new authors and discussed the idea of sponsoring opportunities for authors to present refereed papers which might then evolve into publications. These could be modeled after the RUSA Research Roundtable Forum. It was agreed that the committee would aim to sponsor a forum/program at the 2010 ALA Annual Conference.

Top    

Continuing Resources Section Committees

Executive Committee

The Continuing Resources Section Executive Committee meetings at ALA Midwinter focused on two areas: the section’s structure and activities, and communication and working electronically. These discussion topics were prompted by the focus of the ALCTS Board on organizational adaptability and changes that would enable the division to meet future needs and challenges.

A review of CRS activities is encouraging. CRS committees and interest groups offer several programs, forums, and interest group meetings at each conference and they are well attended. For example, the Continuing Resources Cataloging Update Forum, regularly held on Monday afternoons, provides useful cataloging-related updates and is attended by more than 100 people. Other topics covered on a regular basis include presentations on serials standards, recent research, acquisitions, journals costs, and trends in continuing resources. CRS has some publications and has participated in the development of some online courses. CRS will work to increase its activities in these areas, particularly to meet the needs of members who do not attend the ALA Midwinter Meetings or Annual Conferences. The CRS structure was examined, and CRS committee charges, overlap of responsibilities with ALCTS division committees, and areas not covered were discussed.

Working electronically to complete work presents challenges. Electronic participation by committee members and the challenge of using the current tools, especially when skills vary and everyone does not have access to the same tools, was discussed. To ensure that committee and interest group chairs and CRS representatives to other committees have the support and information they need, CRS Executive Committee members were appointed to serve as liaisons to them. Goals for conversion of the CRS website to the new content management software were established. The conversion of the ALCTS website to content management system software and the availability of ALA Connect software are eagerly awaited as these will enable improved communication within the CRS leadership and with the whole CRS membership and others.

Discussion of CRS structure and communication will continue, perhaps via the ALA Connect software.

Acquisitions

The committee discussed the program presented at the 2008Annual Conference which was generally well-received, and also discussed future programs.

The program for the 2009ALA Annual Conference in Chicago will be “The Promise and Disappointment of Electronic Resource Management Systems,” and will take place on Monday, July 13, 8-10 a.m. The following speakers have been secured for this program:

  • Gold Rush: Apryl Price, Texas A&M University
  • III (Innovative): Jeanne Langendorfer, Bowling Green State University
  • Serials Solutions 360: Jeannie Downey, University of Houston Libraries
  • Verde: Alisha (Little) Quagliana, University of Texas at Austin

A program on the Open Source ILS will be created for the 2010 ALA Annual Conference, with the possibility of requesting co-sponsorships from other ALCTS committees and/or LITA. The working title of the program is “Open Source ILS: Is It the Change You Need?” and will focus primarily on serials and electronic resource management modules provided as part of Open Source systems. To prepare for the program, the committee will investigate sponsoring an ALCTS E-forum on the same topic in the spring of 2009. The committee members will also review and possibly revise the template for program evaluations.

Continuing Resources Cataloging

CRS Section Chair Felicity A. Dykas met with the Committee and members to see their function as including facilitating two-way communication between the continuing resources description community and ALA, CONSER, and other constituencies in the serials community. She said that the Committee has functioned in the past as an extremely effective conduit for the flow of information from CONSER, the Library of Congress, the ISSN Center, and prominent speakers involved in the topics of the day to practitioners, and suggested that there might be room to expand the scope of CRCC’s role in facilitating communication in the other direction. The idea of appointing a specific liaison from the ALCTS CRS CRC Committee to CONSER was mentioned as one possibility.

Dykas also called attention to the new series of e-forums that ALCTS is sponsoring and suggested that the Committee may want consider sponsoring and moderating e-forums on hot topics.

Maggie Horn, the Executive Committee’s liaison to CRCC, visited with the Committee to touch base regarding concerns that CRS and other section committees have about the maintenance of ALCTS committee web space, clarifying some of the procedural challenges to making this work part of the Committee’s duties and offering several useful suggestions. She noted that while guidelines indicate that one member per unit should have the authority to post to the ALA web pages, continuity is threatened if only one member (whose term will at some point expire) has any familiarity with the process.

ISSN Coordinator Regina Reynolds visited the committee to brief them on the possibility that at future ALA Conferences the Library of Congress and the ISSN Coordinator will continue to provide information regarding current news, but both the reorganization at LC and budget constraints may influence the representation sent to ALA meetings. Reynolds, speaking for herself and not in an official capacity, invited the committee to ponder the possibility that it might have a role to play in facilitating participation in the testing of RDA, noting, however, that limited distribution of some of the necessary functional software to official test partners may present a challenge.

The chair reminded members to complete volunteer forms for next term if they have not already done so. The Committee discussed the need to review the new website, make determinations about what information needs to be readily available and in what formats. Suggestions included the committee’s charge, access to minutes of both recent and older meetings, information about upcoming events including the next ALA Conference Forum, and links to resources of interest to serials catalogers. The committee discussed the possibility that if the new mechanisms for maintaining the website prove cumbersome, some of its functions might be fulfilled by using links to give access to materials posted elsewhere. This discussion will continue by e-mail after the Conference.

Preliminary planning of the Forum for the 2009 ALA Annual Conference in Chicago was discussed. The Committee reaffirmed interest in presenting a program about article-level cataloging, judging it to be a concern on the near horizon for the cataloging community and noting that like the forum topic for this Midwinter meeting, it would be likely to attract interest from both serials catalogers and the wider resource description community. Since numerous perspectives may be needed to present this topic, it was determined that the panel approach would be the best format. Members proposed several ideas about the composition of such a panel, which might usefully include a senior library manager, who could give the big-picture approach to the subject; possibly an OCLC representative who might be able to shed light on the article-level records that are beginning to appear in that database; a speaker from the indexing and abstracting community might be sought or a vendor who provides such records upstream from traditional cataloging workflows might have useful perspectives to share. A few specific names were mentioned; members will explore contacts.

At the request of Section leadership, the Committee reviewed the current ALCTS Strategic Plan and confirmed that its planned and recent activities are aligned with the goals of the larger organization.

The last agenda item was tabled until CC:DA liaison Jennifer Lang and other members of the Task Force could contribute to a discussion of whether the Committee’s RDA Task Force has completed its mission with the review of the final draft of the document.

CRC Update Forum Report

More than 100 individuals attended the forum to hear news updates and a special program. A listing of reports follows.

ISSN reports by Regina Reynolds, Library of Congress

  • Reynolds reviewed division of ISSN responsibilities after new training at LC; continue sending ISSN policy queries to Regina, queries regarding specific US ISSNs can now go to Linda Geisler.
  • There was an update on linking ISSN-L: subfields will be ready in the next OCLC (spring) update
  • The new ISSN manual is available online at www.issn.org
  • Reynolds is co-chairing LC’s task force to address the Working Group’s recommendations

CONSER report, Les Hawkins, Library of Congress

There was a brief report on LC’s reorganization

Efforts that are being explored to enhance communication include use of wikis and experimental use of an online conferencing tool that the UC Funnel group is using, which may offer opportunities for use in training, as well as other kinds of information sharing

CSR guidelines are refined by monitoring group

Update on MARBI discussion paper for a 588 MARC tag; the MARBI group suggested that when it returns as a proposal it might be refined by subfielding, to enhance the potential for machine manipulation of the data

The CC:DA report by Jennifer Lang, Princeton University, was dominated by RDA updates.

Program

The updates were followed by a special program: “Working with Vendor Records”, a joint presentation by Steven Shadle, University of Washington, and Peter McCracken, Director of Research at Serials Solutions.

Shadle began with a brief reminder of the continuing resources cataloging community’s early response to the arrival of online resources as a cataloging challenge and noted that a key factor in overcoming the community’s hesitations about cataloging resources in the new medium was overcome once it became apparent that use of these resources, which are sometimes quite expensive, tends to skyrocket when they are made accessible from the catalog. He focused his further remarks on strategies for streamlining the batch-loading of large record groups, and shared techniques used at his institution to increase the efficiency of processing large record sets.

McCracken followed with some thoughts on the extent to which vendor-supplied solutions can lighten the burden of library tech services and IT departments by implementing field-tested solutions to shared problems, so that individual institutions do not have to reinvent service features or beta-test home-grown programming that absorbs time, talent, and expertise better spent on other tasks. If library staff exhaust themselves trying to track changes in the aggregator databases they license, as one example, the productivity spent on that effort is subtracted from goals like the digitizing of collections or the cataloging of rare materials. Vendors, he argued, have specialized expertise at such tasks that is comparable to the specialized expertise of librarians. He urged library customers to communicate effectively with the vendors they employ about the needs they are trying to meet, and gave examples of missed communications and the potential pitfalls of vendor/library partnerships when goals have not been candidly shared.

A brisk question and answer session followed the presentations.

Education Committee

Summary of Actions
  • The committee finished planning the ALA Annual program for July 12, 2009 on “Re-thinking Staff Resources in the E-Serials Environment.” The chair will meet with the ALCTS Program Committee for confirmation of details.
  • Maria Davidson-DePalma Collins has agreed to coordinate the Fundamentals of Serials online course planning, and the committee drafted an outline of the potential contents. The committee will look at the Fundamentals of Electronic Acquisitions (FERA) course to see what should be covered in the Fundamentals of Serials course to provide the basic knowledge of serials that is a prerequisite for FERA. The committee decided it would be beneficial to draw upon expertise from other CRS committees and seek people from outside the CRS Education Committee to serve on the course planning subcommittee.
  • Committee members were assigned to review the Syllabus on Serials Cataloging and the Syllabus on Collection Development and Acquisitions, to see what updates are needed.
  • The committee reviewed entries for its work in the ALCTS Planning Database and determined updates needed.
Discussion
  • The committee observed that its web pages did not include any of the documentation and updates that had been submitted to the ALCTS Office in the past year, and it was uncertain how to remedy this. Two committee members were willing to be trained to do the updating if this was permitted. The chair later learned more information at the CRS Executive Committee meetings about plans for the updating, and it looks like the work on the CRS pages will be coordinated through the CRS Research and Publications Committee.
  • The committee discussed ideas for reorganization, such as whether the section’s Education Committee should be merged with other section committees, as PARS has done, and the role of the section’s Education Committees compared with the division’s Education Committee. While the CRS Education Committee has been responsible for providing a great deal of educational programming in recent years, the committee members present agreed that other committees were also capable of fulfilling this educational mission. The sections and division will continue to discuss reorganization.

Holdings Information

Report of Business
  • The Chair encourages committee members, who want to continue serving on ALCTS committees after their term expires this summer to fill out an online volunteer form by March, 2009.
  • Following the review of ALCTS strategic plan 2006-2011, the committee identified the E-serials Holdings Forum at 2009 Midwinter as the committee’s major achievement towards two ALCTS strategic goals. They are: Goal area 2.2 “Communicates and promotes the application and use of standards and best practices” and Goal area 3.2: “develops innovative programs and publications that are responsive to the needs of the membership.” The chair will update the committee activities in the ALCTS strategic plan database accordingly.
  • E-serials Holdings Forum (Saturday, January 24, 4-5:30 pm): The Committee finalized the logistics for the Committee’s first ALA forum. Tasks ranging from loading speakers’ PowerPoint files to speaker introduction and handouts distribution were delegated. Ceceilia Boon volunteered to take notes on presentations by Staines and Miller, and Margi Mann will take notes on the presentations by McCracken and Myers.
  • Update Forum at 2009 Annual Conference: The Committee briefly discussed whether to organize another Forum at the 2009 Annual Conference. Margi Mann suggested that a topic about holdings beyond serials might be viable. Cecelia Boone suggested that expanding holdings scope to include item physical condition, etc. may also be addressed. In the meantime, a forum schedule and room request has been made as a place holder on Saturday, July 11, 3:30-5:30 p.m. The Committee decided to schedule a conference call soon after Midwinter to further discuss topics and to decide whether or not to hold a forum at the 2009 Annual Conference.
  • ALCTS Website Update: The chair called for a volunteer to review the new ALCTS wiki which is still under construction, to monitor the accuracy of the committee information listed on the wiki, and to report any errors to the chair for corrections. Cecelia Boon responded to the call.
  • Progress on the Holdings Resource Page: Due to the absence of Steve Knowlton who is the coordinator, there was no updated report on the status of the resource page. According to the conference call on October 3, 2008, Knowlton was still waiting for more submissions for inclusion. Julie Su noted that the scope of this resources page is not limited to holdings standards and, therefore, should be much broader in scope than the CRS Standards Committee’s Serials Standards bibliography. Su reported that a few resources, including url links from Myrtle Myers have been sent to Knowlton for inclusion. The development of the resource page supports the ALCTS goal area 3.2 “develops innovative programs and publications that are responsive to the needs of the membership.”
Action Item
  • A conference call to finalize the decision on whether to hold another holdings forum at 2009 Annual Conference or to postpone it to 2010 Midwinter will be scheduled.
  • The committee will clarify earlier discussion and decisions on the resources page
  • Identified resources for the resources page will be distributed for committee review
  • The committee’s activities in the ALCTS strategic plan database will be updated.

Policy and Planning

The Committee met to establish a timeline for its activities. The focus is a review of charges for CRS Committees and formulating recommendations for how the committee can better meet the needs of its constituents. Award committees, the Executive Committee and the Nomination Committee will be excluded from the review.

The committee will be reviewing the charges for the following Committees and Interest Groups:

  • Acquisitions
  • Continuing Resources Cataloging
  • Standards
  • Holdings Information
  • Education
  • Research & Publications
  • Policy & Planning
  • College and Research Libraries
  • Journal Costs in Libraries

The goal is to establish concrete suggestions for the revision of the charges and/or the possible reorganization of the committees and groups, focusing on how the Section should adapt and reform in the current economic and library environment. A report will be given to the Executive Committee by the 2009ALA Annual Conference. This is in correlation with the current ALCTS level review of how to meet the needs of their constituents more effectively.

Felicity Dykas visited the committee meeting and offered other suggestions for future Committee activities. Agenda items suggested include:

  • Reviewing the communication of the Section with our membership as well as between Committees. Making better use of the website and the community software were discussed.
  • Establishing guidelines for submissions to the database was also discussed.

Research and Publications

The Committee agreed to meet at 9 a.m. at the 2009 ALA Annual Conference.

The committee welcomed guest Mavis Molto, Serials Cataloger, Utah State University. Molto gave an overview of her serials research project which involves examining title changes in JSTOR. She is planning to publish one or two articles describing her research in the near future. The Committee suggested LRTS as a suitable journal for her articles.

The committee briefly discussed whether authors and the Section would be better served if the Section Publications Committee was disbanded and submissions were handled by the ALCTS Publications Committee. The committee agreed this would make the publication process easier for authors; however, the “research” part of the Research and Publications Committee is not addressed by ALCTS Publications.

The authors of Guidelines for Managing Microforms in the Digital Age have made significant progress towards completion. The committee agreed to request that the authors have a final draft ready for review by May 2008.

In late 2008, the committee (Anne Mitchell) requested wiki space as a place for hot topics/testing area to gauge topics of interest to members. However, ALA Connect will launch this spring, which could be used in place of a wiki. The committee agreed to wait and see what ALA Connect looks like before moving forward with the wiki proposal.

Beth Bernhardt and Anne Mitchell volunteered to assist Sion Romaine with updating CRS content in the new ALA Collage content management system. Sion will speak with Christine Taylor at ALCTS about getting permissions and training for them.

The committee organized the Continuing Resources Standards Update Forum at the ALA Midwinter Meeting on Sunday January 25, 2009, 10:30 a.m.-noon. The speakers were Peter McCracken, co-chair of the Knowledge Bases and Related Tools (KBART) working group of UKSG and NISO, and Karen Wetzel of NISO substituting for scheduled speaker Ted Koppel, co-chair of the Cost of Resource Exchange (CORE) NISO working group. The update forum is generously sponsored by Swets. For forum was attended by about thirty people. Turnout was lower than average, perhaps because Peter McCracken presented KBART at another program. In addition, the forum was at the same time the RDA Forum. The evaluation forms rated the program very highly. The presentations are posted to the to the Wiki.

The group discussed the Update Forum during the committee meeting. There will be a forum at annual, and another is also planned for the 2020 ALA Midwinter Meeting. Regina Romano Reynolds of the US ISSN Center visited to update members on this important standard. ISSN-L implementation will be included in an upcoming forum. The committee is also interested in developing an ALCTS e-Forum on standards issues.

Work continues to maintain the Serials Standards Bibliography, with Sandy Chen serving as chair of the bibliography subcommittee. Committee members will be updating the bibliography. The committee may explore converting the bibliography to a Wiki to facilitate easier maintenance.

Swets sponsorship of the update forum runs through the 2009 ALA Annual Conference.

Top    

Council of Regional Groups Committees

Affiliate Relations

There was a review of committee purpose and procedures, including role of wiki and email list and status of updates.

A decision was made to extend editor permission for CRG wiki to all ARC members.

There was also a decision to develop ARC committee section on wiki, including committee documents and procedures.

There are plans to encourage affiliation of groups in Arizona, Alaska, and Ohio.

There was a review of affiliate assignments.

Continuing Education Committee

The meeting opened with reports from Jeannette Ho, CRG Representative to the ALCTS Education Committee, and Julie Reese, ALCTS staff member, about ALCTS webinars, which are using the “Go to Meeting” software. Six sessions each of three web courses are scheduled for the coming year, with more in development.ALCTS needs feedback about which continuing-education topics people would like covered, and the committee will solicit ALCTS affiliates for their input. Suggestions for topics may be sent to Julie Reese.

Carol Hryciw-Wing, CRG Past Chair, referred to the memo she sent to ALCTS in July 2008, recommending that CRG partner with ALCTS affiliate groups to develop and distribute CE training materials, and assist with RDA and FRBR training

The CE Committee plans to pose questions and promote discussions on the CRG discussion list about ideas and concrete actions that we can take.

The CRG Wiki, originally created by members of the CE committee, now hosts information about the entire Council. Its scope is no longer limited to training opportunities, and is evolving and expanding. A draft of Wiki Guidelines for contributors was reviewed (C. Goolsby), and the document will be posted on the general CRG Wiki for review and editing for use as appropriate. The CE committee will refer back to them and customize them for our areas of the wiki. CRG Chair-Elect Susan Mueller will create a task force to make recommendations and document the scope, organization, and responsibilies for maintenance of the wiki. Interested people are invited to email Susan.

Top    

Preservation and Reformatting Section Committees

Nominating

The Committee met and produced a slate of nominees for the Section’s awards.

Top