News From ALA
Candidates Announced for 2009 Midwinter Council Executive Board Election
The following Councilors have been slated as candidates for the upcoming 2009 Midwinter Council Executive Board Election:
- Patricia M. Hogan, Poplar Creek Library, Streamwood, Illinois
- Stephen L. Matthews, Foxcroft School, Middleburg, Virginia
- Sylvia K. Norton, Maine State Library
- John C. Sandstrom, El Paso (TX) Public Library
- J. Linda Williams, Anne Arundel County Public Schools, Crofton, Maryland
- Courtney L. Young, Penn State University
Three candidates will be elected to three-year terms on the ALA Executive Board. Their terms will commence at the 2009 ALA Annual Conference and will conclude at the 2012 ALA Annual Conference. Additional nominations may be made from the Council floor.
Muhammad Yunus, Founder of Grameen Bank, Speaker at ALA President’s Program in Denver
Muhammad Yunus, founder of Grameen Bank and co-recipient of the 2006 Nobel Peace prize is the speaker for the ALA President's Program in Denver. More information on Yunus and Grameen Bank is available at http://muhammadyunus.org/ and http://www.grameen-info.org/.
In addition, the speaker at the President's program at the 2009 ALA Annual Conference in Chicago in July will be Tom Blanton of the National Security Archive. Blanton will assess the losses during the last eight years and write the prescription for the Obama administration should follow to restore access to government information.