Annual Conference Reports

Committees Report on Conference Activities in Anaheim

These reports summarize activities that took place during meetings of ALCTS committees held during the 2009 ALA Annual Conference in Anaheim. Included are groups whose reports were received by the editor as of August 4, 2009. For information on committees not shown here, see the Member Groups and Communities page on the ALCTS website.

Division | Acquisitions | Cataloging & Classification | Collection Management & Development | Continuing Resources | Council of Regional Groups | Preservation & Reformatting

Division Committees

Budget and Finance (B&F)

The ALCTS Budget and Finance Committee met twice during the 2008 ALA Annual Conference. The main agenda items were: the Fiscal Year 2008 budget status report; a review of LRTS domestic subscription rates; a review of the Fiscal Year 2009 budget; the B&F website revision; and the 2008-2011 ALCTS Financial Plan.

The committee discussed the FY08 Budget through the second quarter. It is anticipated that FY08 will end very close to a balanced budget. However, continuing education (CE) continues to be a source of concern, particularly in-person courses that ALCTS sponsors on its own, which are less cost-effective than CE courses attached to Annual and Midwinter and those co-sponsored with other entities. Members were encouraged to remind committees that more pre-conferences and online CE courses are needed. CE issues in general and their impact on ALCTS’ budget were also discussed with Christine DeZelar-Tiedman, chair of the Education Committee, who was invited to attend the June 29 meeting.

LRTS’ domestic subscription pricing was reviewed, and the committee approved a rate increase of $10, from $75 yearly to $85. While production costs have remained somewhat steady, postage has increased from $10,000 to $12,000 per year. The committee will discuss pricing of the electronic version of LRTS at the 2009 Midwinter Meeting.

The revised FY09 budget was reviewed and approved for submission to the Board. No major changes to the preliminary budget proposed at Midwinter 2008 were made. It is anticipated that with more online courses in FY09 CE and symposia for Midwinter 2009 revenue will be as projected.

The committee discussed the re-design of ALCTS website and what B&F information should be provided. A timeline and specific activities were developed, with the goal of having content in place in the fall.

Finally, the committee reviewed and approved the 2008-2011 ALCTS Financial Plan for submission to the Board.

Education

Continuing Education

The ALCTS continuing education program is moving forward. Fundamentals of Acquisitions has been selling out, and two new online courses will be launched later in the summer. The webinar on standards, co-developed with NISO, was a success, with over 100 registrants. More webinars are planned for the near future.

Core Competencies

The ALCTS Education Committee has been asked to comment on the ALA Core Competencies for Librarianship and the support staff competencies for Technical Services which are being developed for the Library Support Staff Certification Program. While the group generally approved the professional competencies, PARS is concerned with the lack of specific support staff competencies for preservation. ALCTS Education will work with PARS to devise a solution before endorsing the competencies.

ALCTS Education has proposed a program for the 2009 Annual Conference entitled "Resuscitating the Catalog: Next Generation Strategies for Keeping the Catalog Relevant." The program will feature speakers discussing different aspects of using external or user-contributed data to enhance access to materials available via library catalogs.

Fundraising

  • Reviewed activities for 2007–2008. The committee raised $20,250 in sponsorships.
  • Committee members were asked to visit sponsors in the exhibit hall to personally thank them for supporting ALCTS.
  • Discussed having speakers from sponsors for programs. The appearance of sponsors buying their way onto programs must be avoided.
  • Discussed plans for 2008-2009. The solicitation process will start earlier since some vendors make decisions in the fall before final program information is available.
  • Additional sponsors to consider were identified, as well as potential sponsors for the two midwinter symposiums.
  • A suggestion was made that the committee prepare an informational message to share with program planners about the fundraising process and how to recognize our sponsors.
  • Ginny Gilbert and Duncan Stewart will rotate off the committee. Thank you!
  • David Goldsmith will join the committee as a new member, and Aisha Harvey will move from intern to full committee member. Welcome!

International Relations

The committee heard reports and remarks from the IFLA representatives: John Hostage (Cataloging), Ed O’Neill (Classification), Lynn Sipe (Acquisitions and Collection Development), Judith Mansfield (Acquisitions and Collection Development), David Miller (Classification), Dianne L. van der Reyden (Preservation and Conservation), Lois Mai Chan (Knowledge Management), and Sue Kellerman (Newspapers).

The committee reviewed and updated its action plan items:

The 2008 IFLA nominations: The committee assisted and facilitated two new nominations, H. Charlene Chou (Bibliography) and Judy Jeng (Acquisitions and Collection Development); one replacement for Anne McKee by Stephanie Schmitt (Serials and Other Continuing Resources), and two re-nominations, Carla Montori (Preservation and Conservation) and Ed O’Neill (Classification). The nominations were approved by the ALCTS Executive Board and were forwarded to the ALA International Relations Committee.

IRC website contents: Julie Reese of ALCTS will assist in adding more relevant content to the committee’s website, including the IFLA representatives’ reports, presentations at the IFLA conferences and meetings, and relevant guidelines following the ALA Annual Conference in Anaheim, in June 2008. It will help bring all needed information together in one place and make it easier to locate the information for ALCTS constituencies and other users.

Publication project for ALCTS international activities: The chairperson contacted the editors of American Libraries and LRTS to seek publication opportunities for the ALCTS international activities and ALCTS’ members’ contributions to the international librarianship. However, she was told to look elsewhere for such publications. The ALCTS Newsletter Online ( ANO ) is another venue to explore. The committee will identify the ALCTS members and the individuals in United States and abroad who have made significant contributions to the frameworks of ALCTS on an international scale. The committee members will interview these individuals, write the articles, and submit them to ANO for an online publication.

Guidelines for ALCTS online courses for the librarians in developing countries: The committee is finalizing the guidelines for the librarians from developing countries who will be able to have one free seat per session at the ALCTS web online continuing education courses. Susan Matveyeva, incoming committee chair, initially developed the guidelines. The draft of the guidelines went through several revisions by the committee members and other ALA units, such as the International Relations Round Table Executive Board. Several ALA units have highly praised this project which will enable ALCTS’ leadership to help the librarians in developing countries with their continuing education needs.

Sha Li Zhang, outgoing chair, expressed her appreciation to the committee members and to ALCTS leadership for their ongoing guidance and support during her tenure as the committee chair.

Leadership Development

"Succession Planning: The Future of Your Library Depends on It," Leadership Development's annual program held Saturday, June 28, highlighted the need to identify critical competencies associated with future vacancies. Vicki Whitmell, Director of the Ontario Legislative Library and an expert in succession planning and retention strategies, stressed the importance of documenting key positions within the context of the library's strategic objectives and mobilizing the library to mentor and train existing staff as well as actively recruit based on future needs. LeRoy LaFleur, Head of George Mason University’s Arlington Campus Library, and Nanette Donohue, Technical Services Librarian at the Champaign (Illinois) Public Library, offered helpful insights from a mid-career perspective. The program was sponsored by ALCTS, ACRL, LAMA, and PLA and attracted seventy-five attendees.

The ALCTS New Leaders Orientation on Sunday, June 29, provided an opportunity for the division committee chairs to meet with approximately forty-five incoming committee, section, and interest group chairs and members. The division committees cover a wide variety of association functions, such as recruiting members, managing the budget, and developing the strategic plan. Learning how the ALCTS Board, the sections and Council of Regional Groups, and the ALCTS Office interact with the division committees gives new leaders a better understanding of the association structure so that they can more effectively achieve their groups’ goals. A 2008 Emerging Leader project involved creating an online version of the orientation, which includes a link to the ALCTS Committee Chairs’ Calendar, developed by the Leadership Development Committee.

Preliminary planning is underway for a Leadership Development program on managing up at the 2009 ALA Annual Conference. No matter where you are on the organizational chart, you report to a higher authority. Leaders at all levels will learn how to manage this relationship for the good of the organization.

LRTS Editorial Board

Charles Wilt and Troy Linker provided updates on the new online editorial manuscript management system and the new software being implement in ALA Production Services. Plans are to provide the training in the online manuscript management system this summer, following which Peggy Johnson will set up the LRTS profile, and then begin using it, hopefully in the fall.

The Board discussed literature reviews and agreed that they are valuable and should be continued. The Board agreed that years of coverage should be limited to two to three to make them easier to prepare, and that gaps in coverage are acceptable if no author can be found (or submission does not meet quality standards).

The Board agreed to change the time provided for writing reviews of submissions from four to three weeks.

Board members reported on their activities to generate submissions.

Membership

The Membership Committee principally discussed ideas for capitalizing on current outreach efforts and for implementing new strategies. Suggestions for the ALCTS 101 event at the 2009 ALA Annual Conference were proposed. Ways to incorporate elements of ALCTS 101 at the Midwinter Volunteer Forum were also proposed.

The committee discussed a draft document that serves both as a recruitment tool and outline for volunteers to visit library schools on behalf of ALCTS. A draft article for ANO, an entry in Wikipedia, and enhancing ALCTS’ presence on Facebook were also discussed.

Pamela Bluh and Cheryl Kern-Simirenko visited the meeting and provided very helpful suggestions regarding the efforts discussed above.

Outgoing members Rhonda Marker, Natalie Sommerville, Ann Vidor, and Robert Wolverton were thanked for their service to the committee and to ALCTS.

Organization and Bylaws

ALCTS Executive Director Charles Wilt visited the committee to discuss a draft of the bylaws. He incorporated numerous changes and comments into the draft, most of which were geared toward improving the language and clarifying specific issues. Afterwards, the committee made a plan to break down his comments by article, and discuss and implement them via email between the Annual Conference and Midwinter Meeting.

The minutes of the Midwinter meeting in Philadelphia were read and approved. ALCTS President Pamela Bluh and incoming President-Elect Mary Case dropped in for part of the meeting to observe and answer questions.

A discussion followed on how to review interest groups or how to respond to interest group petitions. The first interest groups to form in ALCTS will come up for renewal in the coming year. Swensen suggested that the committee consider all of them at Midwinter. Rather than assign a coordinator for each one, a simple email message could be sent to all five a month or two before the deadline, reminding them that petitions are due. Once the petitions are received, a simple check to insure that meeting frequency and attendance, leadership, and discussion topics are in line should be sufficient to inform O&B’s decisions as to whether each group should be recommended for continuation or not.

Coates presented copies of forms she has prepared that interest groups may use to petition. Three separate forms were presented, one for each action a group might request: initial establishment, renewal, and name change or revision. Members of the groups made suggestions for improving the forms and also proposed that the three might be combined into one. Coates will work on incorporating the changes and will bring a new draft to the committee.

Christine DeZelar-Tiedman, chair of the ALCTS Education Committee, visited the group while O&B conducted a review of her committee, which was coordinated by Singleton. As part of the review, the committee was presented with a revision of the Education Committee charge. O&B provided comments and feedback to DeZelar-Tiedman. The committee commended her for the good work the Education Committee has done and unanimously agreed that the committee is essential to ALCTS.

As a final matter of business, the committee considered issues and items to work on in the coming year. In addition to the changes Wilt proposed and the upcoming reviews of interest groups, the issue of division versus section-level, with regard to interest groups, was again raised. This issue was raised last year but a resolution was not reached. Swensen asked each of the members who serve as section representatives to study the role of their section’s interest groups and to report their observations back to the full committee to provide a better understanding of how interest groups work with each section.

Program

The Program Committee met with twenty-four pre-conference and program planners in Anaheim. The committee discussed and approved a total of four pre-conferences and sixteen programs for presentation at the 2009 ALA Annual Conference in Chicago. The committee also discussed plans for Presidential symposia for the 2009 Midwinter Meeting in Denver, and the President’s Program for Chicago with ALCTS President Pamela Bluh and a representative for President-elect Dina Giambi, respectively. The committee provisionally approved an additional four proposals for pre-conferences and programs contingent on suggested revisions to those proposals.

The Pre-Conference Planning Subcommittee, which was formed at the 2007 ALA Annual Conference in Washington, D.C., is chaired by Jim Dooley, Head of Collection Services at University of California Merced. This subcommittee is charged to oversee the planning of pre-conferences and to assist planners in the pre-conference planning process. Patricia Tully, Associate University Librarian at Wesleyan University and the former chair of this sub-committee, and Janet Belanger Morrow, Head, Non-Print Management at Northeastern University, are also on the subcommittee.

Publications

The Publications Committee heard reports from the section publications representatives and the ex-officio committee members. A theme that emerged during these reports is the need to incorporate a deadline into the proposal process. Sections as well as the Paper Series have authors who are well behind schedule. The committee agreed to investigate this issue and impose a deadline during the proposal period, likely somewhere between twelve and twenty-four months.

The committee discussed the idea of incorporating some form of open access into the review process. The chair will bring this topic to the ALCTS Board during its second session at the 2008 ALA Annual Conference.

Three publications were released in the ALA Store during the conference. They are:

  • Guide to Writing RFPs for Acquisitions by Fran Wilkinson and Linda Lewis (AS)
  • Guide to Developing a Library Music Collection by R. Michael Fling (CMDS)
  • Guide to the ANSI/NISO/LBI Library Binding Standard by Jan Merril-Oldham and Paul Parisi (PARS)

Paper Series Editor

ALCTS Papers Series Editor and Editorial Board did not meet at the 2008 ALA Annual Conference in Anaheim. The activities of the Board since the ALA Midwinter Meeting, January 2008 follow:

  • Voted not to continue the publication process for the revised manuscript for the electronic resources management publication.
  • Received the manuscript for What They Don’t Teach in Library School: Competencies, Education and Employer Expectations for a Career in Cataloging and returned it to the editor with suggestions for revisions.
  • Distributed new proposal forms to several potential volume editors.
  • Approved a proposal for a new volume in the Papers Series titled Risk and Entrepreneurship in Libraries: Seizing Opportunities for Change; the manuscript is expected in spring 2009.
  • Decided to provide an automatic manuscript deadline of two years from the date of publication proposal approval. After that date, a new proposal form will need to be submitted.

Received resignations from Clément Arsenault and Karen A. Schmidt; we thank them for their valuable contributions to the ALCTS Papers Series Editorial Board.

Acquisitions Section (AS)

Acquisitions Organization and Management Committee

Committee members and guest were welcomed, introductions were made, and the agenda was reviewed.

The meeting began with a brief discussion of the completed program, “E-book Workflows, Selection to Access,” which was held at 8:00 a.m. that same morning. Attendance was quite good for the timeslot, with a headcount of 410. The four speakers were well prepared, thoughtful and there was little overlap, which had been of particular concern for the two vendors. Aline Soules, California State East Bay, concentrated on e-book workflows in context of user and collection development staff needs. Laura Wrubel, University of Maryland Libraries, focused on e-book purchasing from a consortium’s perspective. Michael Walmsely, YBP, discussed the traditional role of the vendor in the workflow. Lastly, Carolyn Morris, Coutts Information Services, discussed the strategies she has seen used by her customers and the significance of e-book providers in the workflow. A full thirty minutes of questions and answers followed the presentations. Approximately eighty evaluations were returned, and Ann Fath volunteered to summarize and tally them.

The committee also considered future program and preconference ideas. A preconference is planned for the 2010 ALA Annual Conference. The aim of the preconference is to educate practitioners on licensing issues and strategies, with particular attention toward non-serial materials. The committee plans to solicit speakers who can address licensing e-books, media, catalog records, etc. Discussion and planning will continue via email and at the 2009 ALA Midwinter Meeting.

A representative from the Policy and Planning committee thanked the committee for successfully completing the self-review process. Committee members agreed that the committee charge should be reviewed for possible updating during the 2009 ALA Midwinter Meeting.

Education

The committee co-sponsored the preconference “E-serials 101: What I Wished I'd Known Before I Got in Over My Head” on June 27 at the 2008 ALA Annual Conference. Preliminary assessment indicates it received good reviews.

The majority of the meeting was devoted to continuing planning a preconference for the 2009 ALA Annual Conference in Chicago. The preconference idea “Streaming Media and Proliferating E-Books: Acquiring and Managing Emerging Formats” was proposed to the Program Committee, including sessions on ordering, licensing, and managing these types of resources. The committee also discussed webinar possibilities, including repurposing portions of the preconference as web sessions. Over the next year, the committee will work on the preconference and developing ideas and identifying speakers for webinars.

Lastly, there is a need to appoint a representative to the ALCTS Education Committee to replace Julie Gammon.

Policy and Planning

Chair Patrick Steele explained the committee’s function and projects currently underway. The committee reviewed and approved the minutes from the January 2008 meeting in Philadelphia. Trisha Davis (substituting for Bob Alan) sat in for some of the meeting.

The group reviewed the Acquisition Organization and Management Committee’s self-evaluation and determined that the committee was on track and there were no outstanding issues. Group members had difficulty contacting the Gifts Interest Group to complete a self-evaluation. They determined a contact for the new chairperson. The Gifts Interest Group self-evaluation will be reviewed at the 2009ALA Midwinter Meeting, putting everything back on schedule. Lisa Barricella will contact the Acquisitions Managers and Vendors Interest Group, and the Education Committee will be contacted using an email containing instructions and the self-evaluation forms to be completed for Midwinter 2009 review.

The group discussed the possibility of ongoing involvement in the Planning Database and shared concerns about the sustainability of the Planning Database in its present state and suggested some changes that should be addressed. Individual group members met with each committee to remind them of the Planning Database and the importance of using it.

Publications

  • Writing RFPs in Acquisitions (planning database #212) is complete and for sale in the ALA Bookstore!
  • Draft chapters of the Guide to Online Approval Plans and Guide to Media Acquisitions (planning database #192) were reviewed and suggestions for direction, revision, etc. will be conveyed to the authors.
  • The Guidelines for Handling Library Orders for In-print Monographic Publications (#263) has been delayed.
  • Authors for several other publications have been on leave (#190 and #262). They will be contacted in a few months to see if they intend to continue or would like to be replaced.
  • New proposals for Ethics in Acquisitions Librarianship (#279) and a proposal on acquisitions statistics will be written and submitted at or prior to Midwinter 2009.

The AS Publication Committee’s work falls under ALCTS Strategic Plan Goal 3: Objective 2: Develop Programs and Publications.

Research and Statistics

At Annual 2008, the AS Research and Statistics committee drafted a program proposal with the tentative title “E-Books: You Bought Them! Was it Worth It?” Committee member Scott Perry presented the proposal for the program to be held at the 2009 ALA Annual Conference. The committee will be finalizing plans for this collection assessment program over the next few months.

Technology

The chair acknowledged the incoming chair and noted that two new members had been appointed. The committee reviewed plans for the program on institutional repositories that was scheduled for Monday, June 30, making arrangements for copying and distributing evaluation forms.

The committee discussed plans for the 2009 Annual program. The topic selected was “The Power of XML.” Catherine Nelson and Miloche Kottman will co-chair the program. Nelson will meet with the ALCTS Programs Committee the following Tuesday to present the proposal (which was approved).

Additional discussion concerned topics of future articles for ANO. The first committee sponsored article, on ONIX and written primarily by Nelson, was published in the April 2008 issue. Possible future topics include XML and CORE.

Cataloging and Classification Section (CCS)

Committee on Cataloging: Description and Access (CC:DA)

The Committee on Cataloging: Description and Access (CC:DA) met twice during the ALA Annual Conference in Anaheim, California.

On June 28, the main agenda item was the report of the ALA Representative to the Joint Steering Committee (JSC), John Attig, who presented his report on the April 2008 JSC meeting. CC:DA also heard reports from Barbara Tillett, Library of Congress Representative to CC:DA; Cindy Hepfer; ALA Representative to NISO, and David Miller, Chair of the ALCTS Task Group on the LC Working Group Report. The last item of the afternoon was a discussion the final report of the Task Force to Review the Statement of International Cataloguing Principles. CC:DA vetted the recommendations of the Task Force and discussed additional issues not raised in the report. CC:DA decided to send to IFLA a vote of “Agree with comments” on the Statement of International Cataloguing Principles, April 10, 2008 version and include comments based on the final report of the task force and comments made during discussion.

On June 30, the main agenda item was the report from Donald Chatham, of ALA Publishing Services, where issues regarding the pricing, the pricing model, and accessibility of RDA: Resource Description and Access were discussed. CC:DA also heard reports from Everett Allgood, MARBI representative; Peter Fletcher, representative of the Program for Cooperative Cataloging’s Standing Committee on Standards (SCS); Laura Smart, Chair of the Task Force on CC:DA’s Internal and External Communication; and Patricia Hatch, CC:DA Webmaster. Fletcher reported that SCS has finalized the updates to “Guidelines for Multiple Character Sets” (Recommendation 3 in the ALCTS Task Force on Non-English Access report) and after some minor cleanup, it will be published. During the reports by Smart and Hatch, CC:DA voted to accept the recommendations in the submitted reports.

For further details and links to the documents discussed, see the Agenda for the meeting.

Education, Training, and Recruitment for Cataloging (CETRC)

Fundamentals of Cataloging Online Course

Robert Ellett and Sylvia Hall-Ellis, course developers, reported on the status of the course, including scope and target audience. The course provides basic concepts, but does not present theoretical issues; it can be targeted to paraprofessionals, and is good for people outside cataloging who have duties related to cataloging, e.g. staff in collection, systems, etc. For next steps, the course developers expect to have authorization to deliver course to ALCTS by Midwinter 2009. There will be “Train the Trainer” sessions.

Continuing Education Subcommittee Report

Members (Rhonda Marker, chair) have reviewed the online course, Fundamentals of Cataloging, and finished a survey of online/distance education on cataloging offered by library schools. The subcommittee is establishing guidelines for reviewing existing courses.

Mentoring Subcommittee Report

(Martha Bace, chair): Three subcommittee members are going to rotate off after Annual and the incoming chairperson has resigned from the position. The mentoring program will be advertised once details are settled at the subcommittee meeting (which occurred immediately after the CETRC meeting).

Task Force on Competencies and Education for a Career in Cataloging

The Task Force (Angela Kinney, chair) is working on three initiatives:

  1. A Cataloging Education Fellows Program intended for educating the educators through supporting the creation of a doctoral degree in cataloging education, an internship program, and a mentoring program
  2. A program to connect cataloging practitioners and employers with library educators which is now spearheaded by Linda Smith Griffin (Louisiana State University).
  3. A clearinghouse that serves as a portal for librarians to gather and locate all available online resources related to cataloging and the profession of cataloging.

Papers from the preconference that resulted in formation of the task force (Annual 2007, “What they don’t teach in library school”) will be published as part of the ALCTS Monograph Paper Series. Companion papers will be published in a special issue of the Journal of Education for Library and Information Science (JELIS), which should come out in late summer

Drexel graduate student Caimei Lu provided overviews of two research projects on behalf of Jung-ran Park.

Project 1: Metadata Quality Control for Resource Discovery and Sharing

The quality of ninety Encoded Archival Description (EAD) records in three collections from digital repositories was studied.

Project 2: New Skill Sets for Cataloging Professionals in the Digital Era

A study of 349 job descriptions posted on the Autocat listserv was conducted. It was found that: 1) job titles reflect emerging job responsibilities, 2) new responsibilities are being integrated with traditional responsibilities, and 3) this trend does not make traditional skills less important in the current environment.

The RDA Implementation Task Force (of which the CETRC chair is a member) has requested a one-day preconference on RDA at Annual 2009. Concerns about whether there will be enough time for program preparation were raised since final draft is delayed and will be due October 2008. Testing of RDA will be carried out by the Library of Congress, National Library of Medicine, National Agricultural Library, and other libraries between April and summer 2009. CETRC will be a co-sponsor in name only.

Education, Training, and Recruitment for Cataloging (CETRC): Continuing Education Subcommittee

Survey of Online Cataloging and Metadata Courses at Library Schools

The Subcommittee is compiling information about online and distance education offerings of courses on cataloging and metadata at ALA-accredited library schools. Most of the work has been completed since the 2008 Midwinter Meeting. Only a few schools remain: University of Puerto Rico (web page in Spanish), University of Montreal (web page in French), University of Texas, Austin, and Texas Women’s University. The subcommittee concluded that ALCTS online continuing education, even at the introductory level, is not duplicating the offerings of library schools.

The subcommittee will complete a spreadsheet, and prepare it for wider distribution. An article about this environmental scan will be written for publication in ANO, and the spreadsheet itself will be posted on the ALA conference wiki. Updates from library schools will be accepted, and the spreadsheet will be maintained for the foreseeable future.

Fundamentals of Cataloging Course Review

In May 2008, Subcommittee members participated in a review of the new online course, “Fundamentals of Cataloging.”

Status of Courses in Development

The subcommittee was unsure of the status of other new ALCTS courses, including one on basic subject cataloging and on using LCSH. The chair will investigate the status of these courses through the ALCTS Education Committee. Subcommittee members offered to conduct reviews or evaluations of courses in development.

Review Process for Existing Courses

The ALCTS guidelines for continuing education courses include a requirement for their review and evaluation. There are no guidelines or process for the review. The Subcommittee will propose a formal review checklist. An article from Educause on quality review of online courses was distributed, and other resources for creating the checklist are welcome. The Subcommittee considers an annual review as stated in the course guidelines an ambitious goal.

Meeting Scheduling

The chair will communicate to the ALCTS Office and CCS Executive that their appreciation the Association’s efforts to make conference scheduling more efficient, and encourages co-locating our meeting with that of CETRC and CETRC-Mentoring.

RDA Implementation Training and Education Support

The subcommittee brainstormed about how best to support RDA training efforts. The group will follow up on several ideas.

New Course Proposals

The subcommittee brainstormed about possible new courses, especially online offerings. They will follow up with the appropriate ALCTS and CCS groups.

Policy and Planning

Roles of Interns: The committee reviewed and approved a draft of a FAQ regarding the role of interns in CCS committees. This FAQ was the result of conflicting perceptions regarding the role of interns. The FAQ will be presented to the CCS Executive Committee.

2008 Committee Reviews

CETRC (Committee on Education, Training, and Recruitment of Cataloging) and its subcommittees were reviewed this year. They requested significant revisions to their charges and additions to their membership. These requests led to a discussion of the basic functions of CETRC and its subcommittees, and to an identification of possible options for restructuring in order to optimize the performance of these functions. These options and the reasoning behind them will be presented to the CCS Executive Committee.

SAC (Subject Analysis Committee) and CCMC (Cataloging of Children’s Materials Committee) reviews were discussed briefly.

2009 Committee Reviews

Two committees will be reviewed in 2009: CC:DA (Jimmie Lundgren will perform this review) and CCAAM (Scott and Sandy will perform this review).

Other Topics

The transition of discussion groups to interest groups, and the possible need for a fact sheet to aid these groups was discussed. The current status of the ALCTS Planning Database, and guidelines for entries into that database.

Subject Analysis Committee

The Subject Analysis Committee (SAC) met twice at the 2008 Annual Conference: Sunday morning and Monday afternoon.

On Sunday, Jun 29, liaisons from MARBI, the Sears List of Subject Headings, Library of Congress’ Cataloging and Policy Support Office (CPSO), the Dewey Decimal Classification Division, the Music Library Association and the Working Group on Functional Requirements for Subject Authority Records (FRSAR) gave reports.

On Monday, June 30, Janet Hill, a member of the Working Group on the Future of Bibliographic Control, gave a presentation on LC's response to On the Record. Liaisons from the Art Libraries Society of North America, IFLA Classification and Indexing Section and SACO made their reports. The SAC chair and the subcommittee chairs (SAC Subcommittee on FAST, SAC Subcommittee on the Future of Subject Headings and SAC Subcommittee on Genre Form Implementation) also gave reports.

For further details and links to the reports, see the agenda for the meeting.

Collection Management and Development Section (CMDS)

Administration of Collection Development (ACD)

The Administration of Collection Development Committee has been approved to plan a program for the 2009 ALA Annual Conference. Committee member Stephen Dew attended the ALCTS Program Committee on behalf of ACD’s Program Request for the 2009 Annual Conference. With a few edits/suggestions from the ALCTS Program Committee, the proposal was accepted. The program will be titled, “The Open Content Alliance and Library Collections: the Other Scan Plan.” The proposed program will feature a panel of representatives from Open Content Alliance (OCA) participating libraries moderated by a representative from the OCA.

The committee discussed the documents of the Executive Committee (Board Delegation of Authority, 7 Measures Summary; Organizational Adaptability Strategies). No specific outcomes regarding ACD action were identified at this time.

The committee also discussed its ongoing project to create an online toolkit/bibliography of resources focusing on aspects of collection development. The committee plans to use the ALA ReadWriteConnect wiki space to host the toolkit content.

Collection Assessment

There were three main highlights from the Collection Assessment Committee meeting:

  • The Collection Assessment Committee has ideas for webinars as well as a few interested speakers. The committee will bring these to Julie Reese as has been suggested by Charles Wilt. The Fundamentals of Collection Assessment course is currently being developed by the co-creators Reeta Sinha and Cory Tucker. They plan to have the content finished by September 2008, and a course ready by spring 2009.
  • The group would like to sponsor or co-sponsor a program on e-books for the 2010 ALA Annual Conference. The committee spent much of its time reviewing and adding to a draft proposal for an e-book session. The group expanded the program to include areas such as selection, access/discoverability, assessment and implementation of e-books in public and academic libraries.
  • Cory Tucker will update our draft and a co-sponsor is being sought. Carolyn Coates, a member of an ALCTS Acquisitions Section committee, reported that her committee may be interested in co-sponsoring the program.

Collection Development and Electronic Media

The Collection Development E-Resources (CDER) committee met Sunday morning, June 29, with three primary objects. The first was to review preparations for the program held later in the day, “Making the Switch from Print to Online: How, When and Why.”

The second objective was to move forward on planning the 2009 Annual program, “Digital Repositories.” Considerable progress was made in refining the focus of the program, suggesting a list of potential speakers, and making plans for an October teleconference to further the planning.

The committee commented on several documents under consideration by the CMDS Executive Committee. Betty Landesman, CMDS Chair, was in attendance, and the discussion was informed by many of her comments and observations.

In addition to the three major agenda items, there was also had a very animated discussion about future directions for the committee. Joe Toth raised the question: What happened to the “discussion of issues” part of our committee meetings? There was consensus that, though the committee is proud of the well-received programs it has provided, members did not want to focus on program preparation to the exclusion of all else. The committee enthusiastically reached the following decisions: first, to present a forum at Midwinter 2009 as a follow up to collection issues raised at the Charleston Conference; second, to carve out time at each future committee meeting to share information and discuss current issues in collection development.

Education

At the 2008 ALA Annual Conference, CMDS Education celebrated the final testing of the online course Fundamentals of Collection Development. Peggy Johnson will be teaching the first session later this summer. The committee also discussed the first draft of a webinar on weeding, developed by Arro Smith; intern Heidi Pettitt has established a Google Documents site for the committee to discuss revisions to the weeding webinar this summer. Toni Katz and Ellen Safley agreed to draft a webinar on acquiring e-books and Ginger Williams agreed to draft a webinar on getting started with collection development in unfamiliar subjects. Finally, the committee agreed to co-sponsor the CMDS Publications Committee’s proposed Annual 2009 program on orienting librarians to collection development responsibilities.

Policy and Planning

As a follow up to the Midwinter meeting, the Committee reviewed and ultimately revised the idea for a preconference (“Collection Development 2.0: The Changing Administration of Collection Development”) into a discussion or forum idea. This idea did not seem to lend itself to a preconference environment where the focus lies in practical “take-aways” of value. It seemed more conducive to stimulating discussion and serving as a possible point of departure for future practical applications. Ideas for more suitable preconferences included a how-to for those thrust into new liaison programs, structure and function of institutional repositories, and how reference librarians interpret changing collections to students. Fath will follow up with the CMDS Executive Committee. Fath will meet with the ALCTS Program Committee on Tuesday, July 1.

Holt discussed the challenges remaining for the compilation of ALA-wide groups and committees with collection development as a portion of their charge. She will complete the chart for 2008–2009 as soon as she can access the new rosters on the ALCTS website. Fath will distribute within CMDS and ALCTS upon completion.

The Committee is still interested in participating in the development of a CMDS Collection Development wiki, which the Committee envisions as possibly serving as a hub for collection development information for all of ALA. The Committee thinks that this would also consist of an appropriate and relevant response to the observations in the “7 Measures Summary” document, however such a collection development hub would get developed.

The Committee briefly discussed the document “Delegation of Authority to Committees of the Board” and the summary results of nine survey items. Committee members agreed that the silo approach to ALCTS committees must be avoided.

The committee had questions about the “Organizational Adaptability” document which the CMDS Executive Committee would address at their meeting.

Publications

Committee Membership: Lightman introduced incoming committee chair Mary Casserly. Lightman, Westgate, and Phelan are rotating off the committee. On behalf of the committee, Lightman thanked Westgate and Phelan for their work. New committee members are Roy Ziegler and Cindy Schofield-Bodt. Stephen Dew is the incoming CMDS representative to ALCTS Publications Committee, replacing Doug Litts. Lightman thanked Litts for his work. Casserly, Harris, Lev, and Beach will continue on the CMDS Publications Committee.

Sudden Selector Series: Series Editor Doug Litts projected that the completed LGBTIQ manuscript will be submitted by the end of summer. He will assume sole liaison responsibility for this guide, as Westgate is rotating off the committee. Lev reported that one chapter of the Biology guide was reviewed by the committee before midwinter. She projects an end-of-summer manuscript completion date. Harris, who is author of the English guide, requested a deadline extension until December 2008. Chapters will be shown to the committee by mid-fall. Litts reported that the Chemistry guide submission date is July 4. Litts reported that the Art guide is about two thirds written; the authors will have a new completion of approximately December 2008. Regarding the History guide, Litts will be the sole liaison, as Lightman (co-liaison) is rotating off the committee. A revised History manuscript was submitted. Lev will serve as co-reader with Litts. The Communication Studies guide was completed and approved by both CMDS and ALCTS Publications. Harris reported that that he has a probable author for a Media guide, and he will steward this proposal. The Music Guide has been published as part of the CMDS guides series.

The group recommended new editions for the guides about every two years, with updated bibliographies residing online-only, on the ALCTS website. Litts will contact the authors of the Business guide to gauge interest in working on a new bibliography and/or revised edition of their guide.

New subjects/authors were discussed. A children's literature guide was mentioned, but the committee expressed concern that such a guide might overlap with work done for public libraries. Instead, it was suggested that the committee consider seeking an author for a guide on broader topics in education, particularly curriculum labs. Other possible guides that were suggested include geography/GIS/data services; agriculture; nanotechnology; political science/sociology; philosophy; religious studies; foreign language literature for non-native speakers; green design/architecture/urban planning/environmental studies.

CMDS publications for possible revisions: follow-up on feasibility: Harris reported that three authors from within CMDS will pursue re-writing Evaluation, guide #2 as a merger of Guide #2 and a companion guide, which is Guide #11 ( Guide to Library User Needs Assessment for Integrated Resource Management and Collection Development, published in conjunction with the Acquisitions Section in 2001). Lightman reported that Guide #8, Bibliographer's Manual, will not be pursued at the present time, but the group agreed that further discussion of ways to revise this guide are needed.

Future Project Ideas: Lightman reported that progress had not been made on a potential working paper series. The committee agreed that the idea was worth pursuing, but possibly in conjunction with other publications groups within ALCTS.

Proposal for 2009 Program. Lightman and Litts, working with Kosokoff and Genevieve Owens, are proposing a program for the 2009 ALA Annual Conference in Chicago. The program will focus on education for selectors/liaisons, with talks on the Sudden Selector series as well as other relevant topics. The program proposal will be presented by Kosokoff to the ALCTS Program Committee.

CMDS Executive Committee documents. Kosokoff led a discussion of several CMDS documents. The committee focused most heavily on the Delegation of Authority, and recommended that program proposals should be approved by CMDS Executive prior to submission to ALCTS Program Committee, but that approval of publications should not need Executive Board approval prior to submission to ALCTS Publications.

Old business. Litts was asked about the status of the generic introduction to the Sudden Selector series. He will follow up.

Continuing Resources Section (CRS)

Acquisitions

The Committee discussed the current state of the Glossary Wiki. Concerns expressed included outdated content, unsustainability, lack of use, lack of response from our potential user community, and inadequate features of the site. Those present agreed to recommend to the Executive Committee that all efforts to maintain a Glossary Wiki be terminated, and the current site will be taken down. (The Executive Committee approved this recommendation unanimously at its meeting.)

The committee co-sponsored the full-day e-resources preconference. Jill Mason reported that there was full attendance and a very well received program.

The committee sponsored a program titled “Removing the Fence: Merging Print and Electronic Serial Workflows.” Gary Ives moderated the program, and reported to the Executive Committee that attendance exceeded 200. The committee received seventy-two usable program evaluation forms. On a 1 to 5 scale (with 1 = poor overall and 5 = excellent overall), twenty-four attendees rated the program as a 5, thirty-four rated the program a 4, thirteen attendees rated it as a 3, and 1 person rated the program a 1.

ALCTS Program Liaison Joyce McDonaugh attended the committee’s meeting. With her encouragement, program to be titled “From the Green Fields of Verde and into the Millennium: The Promise and Disappointment of Electronic Resource Management Systems” was developed. Gary Ives submitted the proposal as Program Chair, which was approved by the Executive Committee Chair and by the Program Committee. This program will be the Fourth Annual Meeting program in a row sponsored by the Acquisitions Committee.

Committee on Holdings Information

General Committee Discussion

Myrtle Myers will step down as committee chair. Julie Su is the new chair of the committee starting July 1.

Steve Knowlton (ProQuest) is joining the committee as a new member.

The committee is interested in continuing with conference calls between ALA meetings. They felt that this keeps the committee engaged and informed about the progress of tasks.

Knowlton said that ProQuest has a dedicated conference call provider and could set up the conference calls when needed.

Forum on E-Serials

The committee finalized the decision to host a forum on eSerials. They will request the time slot of Saturday, January 24, 2009 4:00-5:30 p.m.

Julie Su will write a publicity blurb after we have received the abstracts from the speakers. The publicity blurb will be sent to Mary Beth Weber for ANO and will be posted different discussion lists to publicize the meeting closer to ALA Midwinter.

OCLC has committed to have a speaker at the forum. The specific person to speak will be decided later. Other potential speakers are Peter McCrackin, Serials Solutions and Linda Miller, Library of Congress. Julie Su has informally spoken to both Linda and Peter and will pursue them as speakers.

Resources Page

The committee decided to continue pursuing this while they are also making final arrangements for the forum. The resources page would be accessible from the ALCTS website and would give librarians a place to access information about holdings related issues. The page will not duplicate the resources from the page maintained by the Serials Standards Committee. Knowlton has agreed to coordinate this effort.

Myers will draft a scope statement to be reviewed by all committee members. The scope statement will be used to review potential submissions to determine whether they are suitable for the resources page.

All committee members will identify potential resources to be included and will send to Knowlton. Knowlton will coordinate the submissions and send them out to the committee to review.

Action Items

  • Finalize speakers – Julie Su
  • Draft Publicity blurb for Forum – Julie Su
  • Draft scope statement for Resources Page – Myrtle Myers
  • Coordinate Resources Page – Steve Knowlton
  • Identify potential items for Resources Page and send to Steve – All committee members.

Continuing Resources Cataloging Committee

About 130 people attended the annual update forum. Part I of the committee’s Annual Update Forum consisted of update reports.

  • CONSER and the Library of Congress; Les Hawkins (CONSER) in Regina Reynolds’s absence
  • CC:DA, MARBI and RDA; Kevin Randall (Northwestern University)

Part II of the meeting consisted of presentations.

Policy and Planning

The Committee met to set goals and a direction for the coming year. Three items to be addressed in 2008-2009 were identified:

  1. Generalize the form developed by the Committee during the past year to assist committees and groups in reviewing their names and mission statements. The goal is to provide the Section’s committees and groups with a worksheet (or tool) for reviewing and making changes in the future to assist them in being more nimble.
  2. Continue to encourage and assist the Section’s committees and groups of to utilize the ALCTS Planning Database. The committee is also interested in how it can use the information entered in the database to facilitate communication and coordination among the Section members (such as suggesting partnerships on programs, etc.).
  3. Review the Committee’s portion of the ALCTS website. Existing materials will be inventoried and put that information will be submitted to the wiki. Additionally, known changes will be recorded in a document to be submitted to our Section’s website liaisons.

Towards the end of our meeting, Joyce McDonough visited to discuss a possible program originally conceived by Marilyn Geller. The program topic will address what now constitutes continuing resources (five years later). Rather than have the program run by one committee, that it should be a Sectionwide program with representatives from the various constituents to provide different perspectives. If the proposal is approved by ALCTS, the committee will serve as the program coordinator for the 2008 ALA Annual Conference. [The ALCTS Programming Committee ultimately did not approve the program and no further work will be done on this initiative.]

Research and Publications

The authors of Guidelines for Managing Microforms in the Digital Age requested additional time to complete their draft. The committee agreed to request that the authors have a final narrative and outline for review by January 2009.

The committee discussed the wiki proposal and agreed this would be a good place for hot topics or topics that might not yet be ready for publication. It could serve as a proving ground to see what topics are of interest to members, or what topics might be turned into an official publication. The group agreed to try this idea out. Christine Taylor will be contacted to see about getting wiki space. (Strategic Plan Goal 4 and 5)

The committee brainstormed possible publication topics. Institutional repositories are a popular topic, as are FRBR, RDA and electronic resources management. A suggestion was made to establish a standard template that enables authors to produce publications on various topics using a standard format. The CRS section chairs will be solicited for other possible topics.

Council of Regional Groups (CRG)

Affiliate Relations

Discussion topics

Committee purpose and procedures; CRG wiki; redistribution of affiliate assignments to include new committee members; problems of tracking “elusive” affiliates.

Actions to be taken

  • Update CRG affiliate directory and CRG email list, with help of Julie Reese.
  • Plan for an updated snapshot of affiliate contact information in July, November, and April/May of each year, in conjunction with typical transition times for affiliate officers.
  • Complete affiliation process for prospective Missouri affiliate.
  • Encourage prospective Alaska affiliate to apply for affiliation.
  • Investigate status of affiliates lacking current contact information.

Continuing Education Committee

Action Items from Midwinter

An ALA-hosted email list for the committee will be created. (Provided by Julie Reese, with Louise Ratliff as co-owner, July 18, 2008.) CRG wiki editing rights remain an issue since, to avoid creation of spam pages, individuals must be registered by the administrator. Louise will pursue options for more open editing with Christine Taylor of the ALCTS Office. Wiki content was drafted by Jeannette Ho and distributed. The ALCTS Newsletter Online ( ANO) featured CRG in the June 2008 issue; thank you Elaine Yontz for an excellent article! (See  ANO v19n3.)

Carol Hryciw-Wing and Janet Lee-Smeltzer attended the beginning of the meeting. Carol reported that all CRG Continuing Education Committee members are on the alctscrg email list, which will be used to communicate issues to the committee for consideration in greater depth. It was clarified that the committee’s role is to facilitate and coordinate the sharing of information about continuing education opportunities, and not to develop course content. In addition to using the CRG wiki for information sharing and committee communication, Carol would also like to see it become a means of recruiting new CRG members.

Several committee members have experience working with other ALCTS committees and sections which focus on education: new CRG-CE member Virginia Taffurelli has served on the ALCTS CRS (Continuing Resources Section) Education Committee; Jeannette Ho is the CRG representative to the ALCTS Education Committee. Cynthia Watters has served on the ALCTS Education Committee and reported that they plan to use the CRG wiki, but it is not clear on how it will be used.

A suggestion was made that the wiki should list all ALCTS educational offerings and collaborations, plus offerings available from other organizations. Louise will work with Christine Taylor to give all CRG-CE members wiki editing rights so that they may add such information.

Action Items

Add Jeannette’s content to the wiki (Louise); give committee members editing rights (Louise); draft and review guidelines for wiki contributors (Carolyn), and post them to the wiki by mid-September.

Speaker’s Bureau

1. After the 2008 ALA Midwinter Meeting, an effort was made to solicit more candidates for the Speakers’ Bureau Directory (SB Directory). From January to June 2008, one new name was added to the SB Directory due to this effort. By June 12, 2008, there were seventy-eight names in the SB Directory.

2. A revamped Information Form, structured to facilitate geographic sorting of Directory entries and offering a listing of controlled vocabulary to allow topical sorting, is waiting to be completed after ALCTS migrates to the new ALA content management system. Prior to the 2006 ALA Annual Conference, the list of topics was finalized and submitted to Christine Taylor. In September 2006, at Christine’s suggestion, the procedure that had been used to submit updates to the Directory was changed. From September 2006 to March 2008, one updated version of the Directory was submitted on the last Friday of each month to Christine for uploading on the CRG website. That ensured that the delay between a new speakers' submission and his or her listing will be four weeks at the longest. After March 2008, due to ALCTS website updates, Christine asked the committee to post new versions to the CRG wiki. The committee decided to post a link to the SB Directory at CRG wiki and add only new entries directly to the wiki. In 2006, Christine Taylor advised that the best, ultimate solution for the Directory is a database. Christine Taylor prepared a version of the CRG Speakers’ Bureau Information Form and the Response Page for the committee to review. The committee members approved them with a minor editing suggestion. Progress on the database depends on the implementation of ALA's new content management system. Meanwhile, the committee explored changing the format of SB Directory from Word to an Excel Spreadsheet so that it could be sorted by last name, first name and area of expertise. Lihong experimented with the spreadsheet and sent a sample to the committee. All agreed that the spreadsheet format was unwieldy and that a database might be better. Committee members wanted to know what kind of database software Christine Taylor is using to develop the database.

3. At the 2007 ALA Annual Conference, committee members discussed engaging in another effort to contact the CRG regional affiliate groups to obtain information about the use of the SB Directory. Rather than distribute the survey to the affiliate’s listserv, it will be sent directly to the chairs of the affiliates. It is hoped that this direct contact with chairs will generate more responses. After the 2007 ALA Annual Conference, Patricia developed the survey and it was finalized by the SB Committee. The Affiliates Relations Committee chair will send us the updated list of the contacts of affiliates to receive the survey. This survey will also serve the dual purpose of marketing the SB Directory to the affiliates just in case they have not heard about it. Positive comments may be posted to the wiki. Another approach is to record them somewhere for the committee to access, but members were not sure about posting them on the wiki.

4. A formal SB discussion list has been requested from the ALCTS Office. Lihong sent the request to Julie Reese.

5. The Committee discussed how the SB Directory would be made available in the CRG wiki. Based on feedback from the CRG Executive Committee and CRG Wiki Task Force, links will be limited to the information form and the SB Directory on the CRG wiki. At the 2008 ALA Annual Conference, the members working on the wiki reported that they would like to work on the structure of the wiki. There now seems to be a way to post documents, so we should be able to post updated lists of SB Directory directly to the wiki. Mary Walker has permission to post these updates, although it is hoped that CRG can add more committee members to the authorized list of people who may add content to the wiki. Carol has posted documents to the wiki recently, and warned that it is not a straightforward process.

6. Progress of soliciting new people to be listed in the SB Directory was discussed. Veronica Walker suggested that the committee resume using the list of contacts they worked on earlier and contact those who did not respond to give them another opportunity. It was summer when the first round of solicitations began. Since most of the speakers on her list were professors, it might be better to contact them at a different time of year. It was also suggested that a list of those who had said they definitely did not want to be in the directory should be maintained. Further discussion with Lihong about the question of contacting those who did not respond needs to take place.

7. Publicizing the Directory was discussed. The visibility on the website will be checked. Running ads in publications was suggested with a target date of February 2009 for publication in ANO. Periodic post to discussion lists will also help publicize the directory. (Carol and Janet suggest more than once per year). Speaker’s Bureau fliers will be distributed and sent to affiliates.

8. Those persons listed in the directory will be contacted to verify that their contact information is correct and if they have any new areas of interest. This is a goal to have this completed before the 2009 ALA Midwinter Meeting. This was suggested as a goal for the speaker’s bureau to accomplish every two years.

9. The possibility of a virtual committee member was discussed. This might be an area the Speaker’s Bureau could explore.

Preservation and Reformatting Section (PARS)

Books and Paper: Methods, Materials, Standards

Action Items

Request from PARS Executive Committee, an update on status of publication Guide to the ANSI/NISO/LBI Library Binding Standard.

The PARS Executive Committee referred the matter to the Program Planning and Publications Committee (PPC). PPC reported that the publication had several delays, but should be available from ALA Store near Exhibits Hall during the conference.

Submit proposal to PARS Executive Committee regarding the PARS reorganization and new Preservation Standards and Practices Committee. As the new committee is comprised of three former committees—Books and Paper, Digital Conversion and Digital Preservation—members of the Books and Paper Committee are worried about the physical object preservation being marginalized. The committee proposed to the PARS Executive Committee the new committee include six members, plus a chair. Two members would be charged with looking out for the interests of digital conversion, two for digital preservation and two for books, paper and other physical object preservation.

The PARS Executive Committee will consider the proposal.

Management

PARS Restructuring Discussion

The committee discussed the restructuring proposal and expressed concern in two areas. One concern was for the loss of representation of broad preservation management responsibility in the new committee structure.

Secondly, the committee noted the lack of opportunity for current members to transition to service on committees with functional or operational issues. As proposed, current members would transition only to Nominating or Awards Committees. Mokrzycki indicated that she would convey these concerns to the Executive Committee at the reporting session (done.)

Program Review: “P(l)anning for Gold: Preservation Models in California and the West”

Turnout for the program was approximately seventy-five to eighty individuals, which met the target number estimated in the original proposal. Positive feedback was provided on the assessment forms for the speakers and topics. The question and answer period led by moderator Tom Clareson was well received. The committee discussion indicated that a means to provide further information about CPP and WESTPAS operational details, such as selection and training of trainers, would be of value. Mokrzycki will convey these comments for follow-up to PARS PPP, the chairs of relevant Interest Groups, and to the speakers.

Interest Group Chair Reports

  • Preservation Administrators (co-chairs Tara Kennedy and Jacob Nadal). There was a very large turnout at their meeting, there were good poster sessions and a full agenda covering the PARS restructuring, the University of Illinois Audio-Visual Materials in Small Institutions project, awards acknowledgements, next steps for the digital preservation definition, and the University of Michigan Preservation of Information specialization.
  • Preservation Issues in Small to Mid-Sized Libraries (co-chairs Scott Reinke and Rachel Hoff). A panel of seven speakers discussed their organizations’ conservation and preservation services (AMIGOS, SOLINET, CPP, WESTPAS, NCPC, NEDCC, MACC.) Attendance was less than anticipated, perhaps a function of the distant location and competition from other preservation related programs scheduled in the same time slot. The issue of how to cover preservation for this audience will be of continuing interest as the new PARS structure unfolds.
  • Digital Preservation (Cathy Martyniak/Rebecca Ryder). There was a good turnout for this session, which included an update on TRAC implementation, building a United States Digital Preservation Coalition, digital preservation next steps, and a survey to gauge the needs of digital preservation professionals.

New Program/Publication Ideas and Opportunities

Andrew Damico shared some ideas for a metadata program or pre-conference, and will distribute them via email. A proposal for a program or pre-conference on preservation for institutions that lack a preservation librarian is being discussed with PARS Program Planning and Publications by the co-chairs of the Small to Mid-Sized Interest Group.

Recommendations to Executive Committee

There were no recommendations to make to the Executive Committee.

Policy, Planning, and Research

The Policy, Planning and Research Committee discussed the pending PARS restructuring proposals for committees and discussion groups (now Interest Groups), and shared comments and feedback heard from the PARS membership. Overall, the proposed restructuring changes and reactions to the changes were positive. It was recognized that many of the details need to be worked out and will be resolved during the immediate transition year and subsequent years.

Acknowledging that this Committee will be absorbed by the Program Planning and Publication Committee in the very near future, the members reviewed and discussed the current Committee’s charge. Work to further the ALCTS Strategic Planning effort, the committee’s role to facilitate Section planning, and developing research projects relating to preservation issues will likely be reassigned to another committee or to interest groups. These transition topics will be brought to the PARS Executive Committee for their review and recommendation.

Committee members recognized for their service to Committee were Brain Baird, Sherry Byrne and Jake Nadal all whom will be rotating off the Committee in 2009. David Conners and Steve Knowlton were acknowledged for their reappointment and new appointment respectively for 2009.

Program Planning and Publications

2008 Programs

Our 2008 programs were successful.

  • P(l)anning for Gold: the California Preservation Program as a model of statewide collaboration had seventy-five attendees.
  • Staying Alive: Books through print on demand technology had 125 attendees.

Programs co-sponsored in name only.

  • Moving Image Collections: Surveying Tools and Preservation Basics (co-sponsored with the Rare Books and Manuscripts Section).
  • Security and Preservation of Rare Materials: Planning an Environmental Building Model (co-sponsored with LAMA and RBMS).

Program Planning: Approved for 2009

  • Preconference: Preservation without a Preservation Librarian
  • Conserving and Scanning Oversized Coal Mine Maps: Documenting Tragedy (Co-sponsor in name only with RBMS)

Recording and Photographic Media: Methods, Materials, Standards (RPM:MMS)

Discussion of publishing Saving Sound program materials for ALA

The committee received feedback some time ago from the PARS PPP Committee regarding RPM: MMS’ “Saving Sound” proposal. The items of concern were:

  1. The proposal describes this resource as an online publication that can be continually updated. PARS PPP Committee inquired if the committee has considered how this will happen. For example, who will commit to updating it for a specific number of years (three, for example), or will a designated PARS committee to maintain the content (e.g., Reformatting Committee)? Or, will it be a more static web publication, like Sound Savings? The committee was asked to address these concerns in order to strengthen the proposal. The RPM Committee decided that the RPM Committee Chair (or the Head of the Preservation Standards Committee after the transition occurs) will review the website every two years. If changes are needed, the committee chair will contact the original authors to provide the necessary updates. If the material is severely out of date, the chair may choose to withdraw the information.
  2. The committee needs to add a projected completion date. ALCTS section committees are working with authors to keep publications from languishing, and having a target date on record helps.RPM did not settle on a firm date, but the information is updated so that ALA Publications can make the information available online.
  3. The publication should include a URL for the benefit of ALCTS Publications Committee members who need access to this online publication. Saving Sound is text based and RPM’s site is more reliant on PDFs of handouts, PowerPoint presentations, and sound files (.wav) and the committee lacks a clear vision of how the site should look when finished. ALA can design the site and give the authors a URL for approval and comments.

Saving Sound IV Program

A Saving Sound IV program for ALA Annual in Washington, D.C. was discussed. This would include the nature of digitization, preservation of digital material, and “inherent vice” and choices for migration. George Blood agreed to provide most of the content, and Tara Kennedy agreed to moderate.

Other Announcements/Discussion

Tara Kennedy has completed with her term as co-chair. Katie McCormick is the new Chairperson for 2008. This may change with the restructuring proposed for PARS committees.

Reformatting: Analog and Digital

Draft version of ES23 “Standard Recommended Practice

Presentation by Myron Chace on “Production and Quality Assurance of Digital Capture – from Microforms and Original Documents” was developed as an analog to the microfilm standard (MS23). The Executive Committee is aware of that this is occurring and will be reviewing it.

AIIM is proposing to retire standards from the ANSI imprint, primarily because they cost too much. They will be rebranded only as AIIM standards. They would like to know how others feel about having the ANSI brand dropped; the vote is due July 30.

ALCTS/PARS restructuring

The PARS Executive Committee is discussing new developments that have occurred after the PADG meeting on Friday. There was some difficulty regarding the merging of the committee functions and the merging of the committee rosters. It is also expected that there will be an increase of task forces and interest groups, so all of the standards and practices need not happen in the Preservation Standards and Practices. Committees would play more of a coordinating role to receive reports from the interest groups and task forces, doing less of the work in the committee. Interest groups are still largely self-governing according to this new plan (can change names, clarify scope, elect leaders).

The committee briefly discussed the proposal to rename the section. There were no objections, yet committee members would like to observe that those not in a Preservation department might not immediately realize that the section’s work applies to them. For example, the committee currently is composed of three members from cataloging departments, and one member is from a digital reformatting section. Committee members discussed whether the PARS Executive Committee might consider leaving “formatting” in the section’s name.

The committee is concerned that about losing specificity by combining interest groups; members understand the desire to minimize schedule conflicts but worry that the larger groups might not be able to focus on topics as well. In general, the interest groups seem to be fairly well run. On the other hand, interest groups and task forces will be fairly easy to revive/create as topics or issues arise. For this reason, starting with a smaller roster of interest groups seems to make sense.

Website review

Emily Holmes collected feedback on website from committee members and forwarded them to Nancy Kraft in early 2008. Kurt Blythe volunteered to assist with the website redesign.