Annual Conference Reports
Board Key Actions
Following are the key actions, in summary form, taken by the ALCTS Board of Directors during the 2008 ALA Annual Conference in Anaheim. Please note that these key actions include items from the Consent Agenda, which covers business that was conducted between the 2008 ALA Midwinter Meeting and the 2008 ALA Annual Conference. Routine actions, such as adopting agendas and approving minutes, are not included.
- Approved the motion to fill the vacancy in the CCS Executive Committee.
- Accepted the Coutts Award for Innovation in Electronic Resources Management jury’s recommendation of Tim Jewell.
- Approved the motion to recommend H. Charlene Chou for appointment to the IFLA Bibliography Section Standing Committee.
- Approved the following recommendations to the ALA International Relations Committee: Edward O'Neill to be reappointed for a second four year term (2009-2013) to the IFLA Standing Section Committee on Classification and Indexing; Carla Montori to be reappointed for a second four year term (2009-2013) to the IFLA Standing Section Committee on Preservation and Conservation; and Stephanie Schmitt to be appointed to serve on the IFLA Standing Committee on Serial and other Continuing Resources for a one year term (2009-2013).
- Approved the recommendation to the ALA International Relations Committee that Judy Jeng be nominated to serve on the IFLA Standing Section Committee on Acquisitions and Collection Development for a four year term, 2009-2013.
- Approved and forwarded to the ALA Council a memorial resolution for Ellen McCrady, who had made significant contributions to the library and archives preservation field.
- Approved the comments to the Task Force on Electronic Member Participation regarding extending the ALA Open Meetings Policy to ALA discussion lists.
- Approved the ALCTS response to the PCC Series Policies and Practices discussion paper.
- Endorsed the content of the ACRL and GODORT letters regarding regional depository libraries and for conveying that support to the Government Information Subcommittee of the Committee on Legislation (COL) so that COL can prepare a response on behalf of ALA.
- Approved the document “Procedures for ALCTS Interest Groups at the Division or Section Level” to replace the current sections “Discussion Groups” and “Procedures for Establishing an Interest Group” in the online ALCTS Manual.
- Approved the talking points dealing with funding for the Library of Congress that were approved by the CCS Executive Committee be conveyed to the ALA Washington Office for their use in meetings and discussion with congressional staffers.
- Approved a resolution to be presented to ALA Council supporting continued and improved funding for the Library of Congress cataloging personnel and initiatives.
- Endorsed in principal the statement drafted by the ALA Committee on Legislation on the future of regional depository libraries.
- Approved a resolution to be presented to ALA Council requesting that the revision to the ALA Preservation Policy and Definitions of Digital Preservation be made ALA policy.
- Endorsed the changes to the ALA Intellectual Freedom policy to be included in the 8th edition of the Intellectual Freedom Manual.
- Adopted the minutes for the meeting, in three sessions, of the ALCTS Board of Directors at the 2008 Midwinter Conference.
- Accepted the Fiscal Year 2008 April budget report in two parts (narrative and financials).
- Accepted the Administrative Report of the Executive Director dated June 20, 2008.
- Approved a $10 subscription increase for domestic subscribers of LRTS.