Annual Conference Reports

Committee Reports

The following reports summarize the activities that took place during ALCTS committee group meetings held during the 2007 Annual Conference in Washington, D.C. Reports that were received by the editor as of August 1, 2007 are included in this summary. For information on committees not listed below, go to the ALCTS Organization menu and follow the links through to the appropriate section.

Division Committees

Budget and Finance

The ALCTS Budget and Finance Committee (B&F) met twice at the ALA Annual Conference. Four agenda items were paramount: a status update on the Fiscal Year 2007 (FY07) budget; a review of LRTS international subscription rates; discussion of the revised budget for Fiscal Year 2008; and a conversation on the ALCTS strategic planning database.

The second quarter report for FY07 (April 30) was reviewed. As previously noted, FY07 is a year of budget anomalies due to the 50th anniversary celebration events. Under ALA’s accrual accounting structure, expenses are booked when they occur and revenue is posted when the event occurs. The negative impact of the larger-than-predicted salary increases and the lower-than-predicted attendance at the 50th anniversary symposium were discussed. While it is expected that dues will cover administrative costs and LRTS subscriptions and advertising will cover LRTS costs, a negative end-of-year balance is anticipated due to symposium attendance below the break-even point.

The committee also discussed the ongoing revenue-negative issue of low attendance for in-person continuing education (CE) events that are not tied to conferences. Over the past two years, B&F members have consistently recommended that ALCTS move from stand-alone, in-person CE to webinars in order to generate positive revenue flow. Current technology makes the process straightforward (Power Point presentations, plus narrative recorded at the speaker’s own workstation). A discussion ensued as to strategies for reducing any perceived barriers to turning successful programs into webinars. The committee endorsed the idea of a forum at the Midwinter Meeting, designed to orient people to current options.

A comprehensive review of LRTS subscription rates is scheduled for the 2008 Midwinter Meeting. Since any rate increases recommended at that time would not take effect until calendar year 2009, the committee reviewed the potential, immediate impact of the upcoming postal rate increases. As a result, the committee recommended a rate increase of $10 (from $85 to $95), effective for calendar year 2008 subscriptions, to the ALCTS Board (which was approved). The committee noted that these concerns reinforce the need to move LRTS to an electronic format.

The revised FY08 budget was reviewed and approved for submission to the Board. Revenue projections reflecting the dues increase approved by the Board at Midwinter and expense projections reflecting the 3.5 percent salary increases confirmed by ALA were the major changes to the preliminary FY08 budget.

Finally, Nancy Gibbs, chair of the ALCTS Planning Committee, joined the group for a discussion of the planning database, particularly of the report functions that are expected to be useful to the B&F Committee in its future work.

Fundraising Committee

Key Actions

After consultation with Charles Wilt, it was confirmed that the sponsor recognition breakfast was no longer being held at the annual conference due to low turnout. This decision can be revisited in the future.

Spreadsheets for 2006-2007 donations were reviewed. Sponsorship goals were reached. It was noted that with the 50th Anniversary Fundraising committee was also competing for the same pool of vendor dollars and that both committees were advised to avoid overlapping requests. It had been difficult to obtain larger donations, and new sources of sponsorship should be developed.

The sponsorship opportunities chart was reviewed, revised, and finalized. It will be sent to the incoming ALCTS president (Pamela Bluh) and Charles Wilt for approval. Comments will be solicited from several vendors, prior to implementation and posting on the ALCTS website.

Preliminary program proposals for 2007–2008 were discussed. Suggestions were made to incorporate public library vendors, or non-traditional vendors, to the solicitation lists when appropriate.

International Relations (IRC)

Achievements of objectives established for this meeting: The Committee achieved all the objectives set for this meeting. Margo Warner Curl reported on the ALCTS IRC poster sessions at the ALCTS 50th Anniversary Conference and at the 2007 ALA Annual Conference. Committee members, ALCTS representatives to IFLA Section Standing Committees (Coe, Miller, O’Neill, Sipe) and newly elected ALCTS representatives to IFLA (Kellerman and Zhang) provided brief introductions. The IRC members welcomed new members joining the committee at the end of this conference: Julie Harwell and Sherry Palmiter. Current IFLA representatives offered suggestions to the newly elected representatives.

The Committee reviewed its progress on Action Items set forth in the ALCTS IRC Action Plan and closed down the Plan. Committee members reviewed IRC progress toward goals in the ALCTS Strategic Plan 2006–2011. They will work on a new ALCTS IRC Action Plan for 2007–2011 at the IRC’s meeting during the 2008 ALA Midwinter Meeting.

The Committee discussed the ALCTS Board document “Delegation of Authority,” and reviewed the results of the self-study that the IRC completed this winter. The IRC passed the self-study and specific suggestions for improvement will be discussed at Midwinter.

Leadership Development

Pixie Anne Mosley, Director of Access Services at Texas A&M University and generations expert, led Leadership Development's pre-conference, "Managing the Multi-generational Workplace: Practical Techniques" on Friday, June 22. After an energizing ice-breaker organized by pre-conference co-chairs Cynthia Coulter and Sally Lancaster, approximately fifty attendees benefited from Mosley's presentation, "How to Encourage Effective Working Relationships in a Multi-Generational Library," which provided helpful tips for facilitating positive interactions across generations. Afterward, small groups looked at seven scenarios highlighting a variety of generation-based challenges—recruitment, search committees, scheduling, performance appraisals, work attitudes, communication, and retirement—and developed effective strategies for addressing generational conflict.

Incoming chairs and members of committees as well as discussion and interest group chairs, section members-at-large and secretaries were invited to the ALCTS New Leaders Orientation on Sunday, June 24, coordinated by Leadership Development Committee member Katharine Farrell with the assistance of Fannie Cox and Melinda Flannery. Bruce Johnson, ALCTS President 2006–2007, and Pamela Bluh, ALCTS President 2007–2008, thanked the group of fifty-five attendees for their commitment to keeping the division on the forefront of issues facing its membership. Division committee chairs (Budget and Finance, Education, Fundraising, International Relations, Leadership Development, LRTS Membership, Organization and Bylaws, Planning, Program, and Publications) joined Charles Wilt, ALCTS Executive Director, and Mary Beth Weber, ANO Editor, in outlining the fundamentals for succeeding as an ALCTS leader. Participants gained insight into the large support network available to help them carry out their committee or group's goals.

The 2008 Leadership Development program, "Succession Planning: The Future of Your Library Depends on It" will provide a well-defined roadmap for libraries to follow when preparing for key leadership vacancies. With approval and guidance from the ALCTS Program Committee, Leadership Development is in the process of pursuing co-sponsorship and selecting speakers.

LRTS Editorial Board

The Editor briefly discussed the twelve-month report she prepared for the LRTS Editorial Board and the ALCTS Board, noting the significant increase in submissions since she became editor more than three years ago. The Book Review Editor shared a report of book reviews published, noting that he has been focusing his time on preparing the LRTS cumulative index to volumes 26–50 (which will be mailed with volume 51, no. 4).

The Editorial Board discussed the data and responses collected from a seven-question survey the editor sent to ninety-five individuals who had published in LRTS over the last three years. Fifty-five responses were received. The survey asked respondents to comment on their experience bringing papers from submission through publication and to suggest how the process might be improved. Most responses were positive. Several suggested use of an online manuscript management system (currently being investigated by ALA). One change the editor will make (as a results of survey responses) is to ask each author whose paper has been accepted if he or she would like a formal letter of acceptance; to date, acceptance notification has been via e-mail in the interest of speed.

The remainder of the meeting was devoted to reports from Board members regarding their efforts to solicit submissions.

Membership Committee

The committee’s work since the 2007 Midwinter Meeting was reviewed. The Committee worked hard on the ALCTS Booth and the ALCTS 50th Anniversary celebration [Strategic Plan (SP) Goal 5.5, 6)]. Concern was expressed about the need to staff two booths. This will not happen in the future since the booth will be located in the Pavilion only.

ALCTS’ Program “Mentoring for Success” was successful [SP Goal 5.7].

The report on the ALCTS Support Staff Travel Grant was presented. It was also successful [SP Goal 5.5 and 6).

Reports were received detailing the success of the visits to Accredited library and information science programs (SP Goal 5.5 and 6)

Organization and Bylaws (O&B)

The committee reviewed two groups at this meeting: John Vickery coordinated a review of the International Relations Committee and Tony Olsen coordinated a review of the Role of the Professional in Academic Research Technical Services Departments Discussion Group. Both groups were recommended for continuation. The discussion group will change its name to the “Role of the Professional Librarian in Technical Services Discussion Group” and broadening its scope accordingly to include all types of libraries.

Following the ratification of the amendment to the Bylaws to remove section names and objects, the committee formulated a procedure to review proposed changes to section names. The procedure was presented to the ALCTS Board at its Monday meeting, and will be used to review the proposed change to the Serials Section name already in progress.

Discussion began on the review of discussion groups and what frequency is appropriate. Due to a shortened meeting time in observance of 50th Anniversary events, Chair Dale Swensen suggested continuing this discussion, along with other items related to discussion groups and interest groups, by email between Annual and Midwinter.

ALCTS President Bruce Johnson and President-Elect Pamela Bluh visited the meeting toward the end to observe and answer questions.

Piercy Award

Robert L. Bothmann, a cataloger at Mankato State University Library, is the 2007 recipient of the Esther J. Piercy Award.

Planning Committee

The Planning Committee met with Christine Taylor, ALCTS Office, to review the components of the Planning Database. Suggestions were made for improvements to enable ALCTS members to enter their own action items into the database and to retrieve that data as needed.

ALCTS President-Elect Pamela Bluh attended this meeting and assisted with this review. She also discussed the upcoming Monday meeting with incoming chairs to discuss how ALCTS needs to change to meet new needs of the organization.

Sunday Meeting

Discussion of the upcoming Monday meeting continued. Members discussed tasks that need to be completed after the changes to the database are made to give ALCTS members an easy way to input their action items.

President’s Program

Peter Morville, author of Ambient Findability, was the featured speaker at the ALCTS 2007 President’s Program, “Ambient Findability: Librarians, Libraries and the Internet of Things.” Morville spoke to a full house and gave an insightful overview of his work on findability, information architecture and the intersection of the Internet and librarians. The slides for the presentation are available in PDF online.

Program Committee

The committee met with program and preconference planners for ALA Annual 2008 in Anaheim, California. Thirteen programs were approved (including one with provisional approval) and two preconference proposals (including one with provisional approval). Plans for a symposium for Midwinter 2008 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, were also reviewed.

Pat Tully will chair a preconference subcommittee (along with Jim Dooley, Janet Belanger Morrow, and Sandy Srivastava) to strengthen preconference offerings for 2008. Institutional repositories are a possible preconference topic. The subcommittee will also identify existing content modules (such as those offered through LC) that could be used for ALCTS preconferences.

Forums are of interest to the sections. The committee needs to institutionalize the manner in which section forum space is requested and booked. Sections will also need to assume responsibility for forum content. Forum planners need to be identified to ensure the content is actually presented in the space booked. Topics for the Division-level forum (which occurs Monday 10:30 am–12 pm at Midwinter and Monday 8–10 am at Annual) still need to be identified and assigned to planners. Chair Genevieve Owens recommend having the Program Committee chair work with the ALCTS Office to handle Midwinter arrangements by the end of October and Annual arrangements by mid-April.

The Committee now has an Online Community. All documents relating to 2008 activities (proposals, tracking forms, spreadsheets, and this report) are posted there. This arrangement should facilitate the committee’s work and its communication with our Association.

Publications Committee

The minutes from the Committee’s 2007 Midwinter meeting were approved as corrected.

Paper Series Editor Anne Sleeman reported on paper series activities and the publication of two of the paper series titles completed by Pamela Bluh. The proposal form was revised to match the committee form.

LRTS Editor Peggy Johnson reported on LRTS activities. The ALCTS Board officially recognized Norm Medeiros and his staff for digitizing volumes 1-43 of LRTS and making them available in PDF. They are currently stored on a server until ALCTS’ new content management system is available. A small group has agreed to meet with Christine to determine how best to add value to them with OCR and metadata. They are now requesting that authors provide key terms to use for online access.

Janet Belanger Morrow updated the Committee on LMPI activities. Though Information Today had offered functional space for downloadable content, ALCTS thinks the new system will accommodate these needs (downloadable) and would prefer not having content on a third-party platform.

ALCTS Newsletter Online Editor Mary Beth Weber gave a report. New features include: information in calendar of events, “Looking Ahead” for individuals wishing to submit reports on events presented in the calendar; author guidelines for articles, such as article length, submission format, specifications for accompanying photographs or figures; and all deadlines for the year are now included with each issue. Suggestions under discussion include letters to the editor and letters from sections (one section per issue). The current assistant editor’s term concludes after the 2007 Annual Conference, and the Board approved appointment of a new assistant editor for a one-year term that will end at the same time as the editor’s three-year term.

The following Section Liaison Representatives updated the Committee on the status of their section’s publications proposals and manuscripts: John McDonald (AS); Douglas Litts (CMDS); Aiping Chen-Gaffey (CCS); Ann Marie Willer (PARS); and Connie Foster (SS). Each section representative reviewed their respective spreadsheet listing of publication proposals/projects and their status.

The ALCTS Board’s document “Delegation of Authority” was discussed. Some committee procedures will change to comply with the principles set out in this document. Macee Damon and Ann Marie Willer will review the publication handbook for ALCTS to determine which areas need changes (e.g., transmittal form, reporting, workflow charts). In practice, the Committee has always had the ability to form subcommittees, etc., and this document formalizes this practice. The Committee will also have responsibility for updating its content in the new ALCTS Planning Database.

Christine Taylor reported on the Office’s ALCTS Publications activities. Four titles have been released this year. She suggested that the Committee recognize Pamela Bluh for her outstanding work as the Paper Series editor. Those present agreed.

Christine Taylor also provided sales figures for five titles. She determines a break-even point for each publication, in terms of sales. The Sudden Selector series could be made available as a standing order if there are enough guaranteed orders.

No one was aware of the status of ALCTS publications in regards to the ALA standing orders/approval plans. Christine Taylor will look into this. No one was aware, either, of any jobber/vendor approval plans including ALCTS publications. Peggy Johnson will send summary information to Christine Taylor.

Christine Taylor distributed marketing information forms that she provides to authors. John MacDonald suggested that the completion of the form be made a requirement for final approval of the publication in order to motivate its completion by the author (or section publications committee or section publications chair). Christine noted she is receptive to any other ideas for marketing.

The ALCTS website will undergo redesign and updating. It will include a catalog of publications. Christine Taylor would like advice on how to present and organize this information.

Online Communities provides a link to the committee’s wiki. Committee members will review the Next Steps document and the ALCTS Strategic Plan and identify short-term and long-range goals.

There is a disconnect at the section committee level regarding who is responsible for shepherding manuscripts through the publication process. The Acquisitions Section has set up a system to assign committee members to authors to keep them informed about the process and to ensure that things move along. The question was raised whether the chair of the section publications committee ought to also serve as the section’s liaison to the Publications Committee. Charles Wilt recommends against this practice so that the Publications Committee has more continuity, and it also gives more people the opportunity to participate in ALCTS and section business.

Committee Action Items:

  • The ALCTS form used as a guide to marketing outlets for publications will be reviewed. The committee will recommend options for ensuring its completion.
  • The Strategic Plan will be revisited to identify goals and tactical objectives.
  • The spreadsheets that detail the status of publication proposals will be updated.

Paper Series Editor

Paper Series Editorial Board: Guests Robert Ellett and Sylvia Hall-Ellis introduced themselves and proposed that they work together to prepare Ellett’s manuscript for publication. The Editorial Board welcomed this collaboration.

The status of each current publication project was reviewed. The Board confirmed its focus on publishing papers from conference programs and preconferences. They prefer themed proposals.

The process for evaluating and shepherding proposals was reviewed; an adjustment to streamline the process was determined. There will be follow up with the ALCTS Office regarding this idea.

Ross Atkinson Lifetime Achievement Award

All committee business was conducted by telephone or via email. The committee discussed the criteria for selection, solicited and received nominations, and after reviewing an outstanding group of nominees, selected Brian Schottlaender as the first recipient of this award.

The committee strongly recommend carrying the nominees over from one year to the next. The dossiers for the nominees were well prepared and clearly represented a considerable investment on the part of the nominators. There were several nominees worthy of the award and future nominating committees should have the benefit of the hard work invested in assembling the dossiers. The committee believes that more than one of the nominators should be considered for the award in the future.

The Committee thanks ALCTS for the opportunity to be the first to honor Ross Atkinson’s memory with this award.

TOP

Acquisitions Section (AS)

Acquisitions Organization and Management Committee

The Committee chair reported on the previous day's successful preconference, which had 100 attendees. Following is a descriptive report on the preconference.

The ALCTS preconference “Workflow Analysis, Redesign, and Implementation: Integrating the Complexities of Electronic Resources in the Digital Age” took place on June 22, prior to the ALA Annual Conference. The preconference was planned and organized by the ALCTS Acquisitions Section Acquisitions Organization and Management Committee, and sponsored by Coutts Information Services.

Theory, Principles, and Strategies of Workflow Analysis

Rick Lugg and Ruth Fischer of R2 Consulting LLC began the preconference with an overview of the theory, principles, and strategies of workflow analysis: why libraries should undertake an analysis, how can libraries proceed with an analysis, what can be learned, and some of the obstacles. The reason for a workflow analysis is to improve efficiency and effectiveness so that a library can be better positioned to adapt to future developments and needs. R2’s methodology for analysis is a five-step process: understand the current environment, identify best “possible” practices, demonstrate the benefits, enable the organization, adjust and implement changes. To demonstrate what can be learned, Lugg and Fischer used a case study–an institution with a main and medical library. They identified the strengths of the libraries, signs of strain, new strategic directions, and ways to increase capacity within the organization to move in new directions. They closed with obstacles to change, including lack of leadership, outdated or non-existent policies, intractable personality issues, the need for different skill sets, false assumptions about the process, and external pressures such as reduced funding.

Staffing and Personnel Issues

Three librarians discussed specific practical issues related to workflow analysis. Catherine Tierney, Associate University Librarian for Technical Services, Stanford University, addressed staffing and personnel issues. Tierney focused on establishing continual change as a value within an organization. This culture of change involves an expectation that jobs will change over time, the encouragement of innovation, and effective performance appraisal. She identified key requirements for achieving a culture of change: empowering managers to evaluate staff using clear levels of expected job performance and to incorporate new work responsibilities into job descriptions; bringing along staff through communication, training, on-the-job experimentation, and rewards for innovation. Tierney discussed obstacles such as individuals’ differing capacities for growth, varying abilities among supervisors, and the lack of time and energy to devote to innovation. She closed with the advice that it is important to “be in it for the long haul.”

Workflow in Small Libraries

Kim Armstrong, Director of Collections Services, University of Illinois at Springfield, provided the perspective of small academic institutions. A workflow analysis was prompted by the library strategic plan which called for an implementation of new digital library products and increased use of vendor services and products to streamline and enhance local processes. As a result of the analysis, the acquisitions department automated its processes for firm orders using YBP’s GOBI system and established an interface between its integrated library system and the university’s financial system. PromptCat and shelf-ready processing for print monographs was implemented to streamline workflow between acquisitions and cataloging and to enable faster access. A cross-functional team is now examining workflow between the two areas. The library is also gathering data and making organizational changes to migrate to more e-only subscriptions. Next steps include participating in an institutional repository and workflow process for ordering individual e-books.

Electronic Resource Workflow

The final speaker addressed workflow for electronic resources. Celeste Feather, Serials/Electronic Resources Librarian, Ohio State University Libraries, used geological analogies to describe electronic resources and their workflow. As with tsunamis, hurricanes and volcanic eruptions in the natural world, the world of electronic resources is not calm or mature. New tools are being developed such as NISO’s Shared E-Resource Understanding and the WorldCat Registry, where information for setting up electronic resources is available in one place. Vendor system capabilities continue to evolve. Areas for delegation are becoming clearer: ordering, simple license negotiation, creation of ERM records, and management of A-Z lists for e-journals. Feather does not see a perfect solution to managing electronic resources at this time. To complicate the situation, e-books have introduced a new set of issues to be addressed.

The preconference ended with questions directed to the panelists about implementing changes that emerge from a workflow analysis and other issues raised during the presentations.

Preliminary review of the evaluations revealed that most attendees rated the speakers as good or excellent. Most felt there was a good balance of practice and theory, and appreciated the variety of perspectives that were represented. A few felt that the program was either too short or too long. The handouts were deemed helpful; some wanted to hear more about public libraries; many appreciated that all (print and electronic) workflows were addressed; many appreciated specific examples; some felt that the pieces held together well; many wanted more serial and e-book topics. Over all, this indicates the need for the topic of workflow redesign to be addressed periodically in the future.

The committee has traditionally sponsored a preconference every other year, and now must be cognizant of the increasing necessity of facilitating relevant and functional programs and preconferences in rapid response to member needs.

Discussion followed on additional possible future topics including a day-long workflow redesign session that includes speakers and break-out discussion sessions; sponsoring some sort of “working group” for emerging “next-generation resource discovery tools” or acquisitions management tools; the effects of RDA and FRBR on acquisition processes; the ongoing merging and blending of technical services processes (should departmental lines be dissolved? who is responsible for cross training?); and the organization of e-resources.

Given the interest and timeliness of the topic, the committee discussed and drafted a program proposal on e-book workflow. O&M will solicit partnerships with other interested groups for a program on management and workflow for e-books slated to take place at the next annual conference in Anaheim.

The Committee's activities contributed to the achievement of the following ALCTS Strategic Plan goals and objectives: Goal 1 (provides leadership in the management of information), Objectives 1, 2, 3, 5, and 6; Goal 2 (defines best practices), Objectives 1, 2, and 3; Goal 3 (provides continuing education), Objectives 2, 3, 4, and 5; Goal 4 (collaborates with organizations), Objectives 1, 2, and 5; and Goal 5 (is a vibrant membership organization), Objectives 1, 2, 3, 4, and 7.

Education Committee

An update on status of current online classes was provided.

Fundamentals of Electronic Resources- Dalene Hawthorne

The course has been submitted to the ALCTS Office and is awaiting minor corrections. It should soon be available for testing by the committee.

Fundamentals of Serials- Christa Easton

The course is on hold until author returns to work.

Advanced Acquisitions- K.D. Ellis, Jesse Holden and Betsy Redman

The course is in the works.

Licensing Electronic Resources- Rick Anderson

This course is under discussion.

The role that the committee will play in reviewing and beta testing these classes prior to release was discussed.

A program proposal “Reinventing Acquisitions” was developed and presented to the ALCTS Program Committee for approval for the ALA Annual Conference in 2008.

Policy and Planning Committee

Karen Wilhoit and Kay Granskog will be rotating off the committee after this meeting. Patrick Steele will continue as Chair. New members, Marlene Slough and Laurie McHenry, were present.

The current committee members explained the committee’s functions to new members. The committee will continue its current function of reviewing other AS committees on a regular basis.

Judy Sterling, AS representative to the ALCTS Planning Committee, met with the committee to discuss a possible new role for the Policy and Planning Committee in the maintenance of the AS sections of the ALCTS Planning Database. Sterling shared sample printouts from the database, discussed the database’s status and possible timeframe for rollout. The committee agreed that this was a role they could fill. Tentatively, Policy and Planning expects to assign one member as a liaison to each of the other Acquisitions Section committees. This member will make sure that information is entered into the planning database and kept up to date.

Publications Committee

The most exciting news at Annual was Miriam Palm’s report that the Foreign Book Dealers Directory is available and fully functional on the ALA website. This has been a long desired outcome that is finally achieved thanks to the dedication of the Subcommittee members. The Publications Committee reviewed the status of fourteen publications that are in various stages of the publications process, and approved proposals for two new guides. There was a discussion of using other forms of publications such as brief online white papers, blogs and pod casts.

Research and Statistics Committee

Most of the meeting pertained to completing a review of its ALA program “Why Can’t Johnnie and Jane Get Published? Part 3: Research Survey Methods,” which was on Saturday, June 23. The program was a success. Fifty individuals attended and participated. Donald W. King discussed his career involvement with research methodology and survey methods. He spoke about many of the research projects with which he has been involved with over the past ten or more years. King also participated in the question and answer section of the program.

The second part of the program featured a panel of five editors from top library and information science journals discussing the state of publication today. William Potter ( College and Research Libraries), Connie Foster ( Serials Review), James Mouw ( Library Collections Acquisitions and Technical Services), Karla Hahn ( Library Resources and Technical Services), and Scott Seaman ( Journal of Academic Librarianship) engaged the audience by showing what editorial boards and committees really expect from submissions, how they would like to see more quality research submitted using proper research methodologies, how authors can get help with their research, and particular insights into the workings of each publication.

The final component of the program allowed audience members to individually speak with the panel of editors and Donald King to get advice and guidance about possible research topics. Trisha Davis again did a wonderful job facilitating and commenting on various aspects of the research process and the process of getting an article published. The committee agreed that the program was a success and will help build for future “Johnny and Jane” initiatives, both through more programs and possibly online courses or workshops sponsored by ALCTS.

The committee spent the remainder of the meeting discussing topics for future ALA conferences. The group submitted a proposal for a hands-on preconference session on statistical analysis of data, particularly centered on data surrounding acquisitions and technical service functions in libraries. The committee also discussed how to host more frequent programs (the present cycle calls for a program every two years). The committee hopes to expedite the process and host a new program every eighteen months, rather than two years.

Regina Beach is the new committee chair for the next year. Michael Norman stepped down as committee chair and agreed to help the group through the next six months to make a good transition to Regina and the new committee.

Technology Committee

The program “Technical Services 2.0: Social Software in Technical Services” which was to take place on Monday was discussed. Rick Lugg will moderate and Matt Barnes, Beth Picknally Camden and Elizabeth Winter are presenters. A desire to see the presentations preserved on the ALCTS website was put expressed. It was noted that impending changes to the ALA website may delay the process. More news about the website is forthcoming.

New items for the future were discussed:

  • A desire to play a role with ANO in a re-occurring way, such as column or similar involvement was discussed. A couple variations in how that would be implemented were discussed. A short list of initial subjects and coordinators was chosen and the project will move forth.
  • There was an exchange of idea for future programs. A program on acquisitions and institutional repositories was suggested as a possibility for ALA Annual in Anaheim. It was accepted by the group and will be presented to the Program committee.

TOP

Cataloging and Classification Section (CCS)

Cataloging: Asian and African Materials Committee (CC:AAM)

The minutes of the January, 2007 meeting were accepted without modification, and the topics of non-filing characters in Hebrew and UNICODE were added to the agenda.

There was a short report on RDA by Hideyuki Morimoto, outlining the schedule set by the Joint Steering Committee for the release of the various chapters of the new cataloging code. The RDA Task Force, set up by CC:AAM to represent the interests of our study areas, reports directly to CC:DA on the interests of CC:AAM concerning the code.

Phil Melzer gave a very thorough report on developments at LC touching upon the concerns of CC:AAM. The report mentioned the loss through attrition of many LC specialized personnel in the Asian and African study areas. These valuable people are in most cases not being replaced due to fiscal concerns. LC is preparing to introduce non-Roman characters into its online catalog. JACKPHY records, formerly cataloged on RLIN, will be cataloged on both OCLC and Voyager with the demise of RLIN.

MARBI is reviewing and altering some features of the MARC format. CC:AAM members mentioned their concerns for the features of the MARC format that continue the use of non-filing characters in Hebrew and Arabic to exclude the initial articles in these languages. This exclusion of these initial articles alters the meaning of the original language. There is no immediate solution for this problem.

William Kopycki is chair of an interest group that is planning a program on the impact of non-Roman scripts in authority and cataloging records. Since other agencies have not made any further moves to proceed with UNICODE, it is not possible to plan a program at this time. This project will be put on hold until there are more developments in the area.

Bob Lesh gave an update on the report on the IFLA uniform title document for African literature conducted by the CC:AAM interest group. The second draft of the report was distributed by email to the Committee members, and comments were encouraged. If there are no objections from the interest group, the report will be forwarded to David Miller, who will direct it to the IFLA group.

Area study reports are submitted by email and will appear in full in the minutes of the meeting.

New CC:AAM members were introduced to the group, and thanks were given to departing members. (Individual letters of thanks will be mailed later.)

Committee on Cataloging: Description and Access (CC:DA)

The Committee on Cataloging: Description and Access (CC:DA) met three times at the ALA Annual Conference in Washington, D.C. On Friday, June 22, the Committee discussed the drafts of Chapters 3, 6, and 7 of Part A of RDA: Resource Description and Access.

On Saturday, June 23, the main agenda item was the report of the ALA Representative to the Joint Steering Committee, John Attig, who presented his report on the April JSC meeting. CC:DA heard a report from Library of Congress representative, Barbara Tillett. The Task Force to Maintain the CC:DA Publication “Differences Between, Changes Within” reported that the revised version of the publication should be available online soon after Annual; once it is published the task force will be officially discharged. The Task Force to Review the Draft Functional Requirements for Authority Data presented its report which will be the basis for the CC:DA response to IFLA's invitation to comment on the draft.

On Monday, the Committee heard from Donald Chatham, of ALA Publishing Services, regarding the development of RDA Online; Beth Picknally Camden, Chair of the ALCTS Task Force on Non-English Access, regarding the Task Force's recommendations that specifically mentioned CC:DA; and from Everett Allgood, the MARBI representative, regarding the MARBI decisions made during Annual. The Task Force to Review the Statement of International Cataloguing Principles presented its interim review paper on the Statement. The Task Force on CC:DA’s Internal and External Communication presented its recommendation that CC:DA create a new official position of webmaster to be responsible for migration of the CC:DA website to an ALA server and for the website's ongoing maintenance; CC:DA voted to create such a position. The meeting ended with the ALA Representative to the Joint Steering Committee covering a few additional issues.

For further details and links to the documents discussed, see the Agenda for the meeting.

Cataloging of Children’s Materials

There was a short meeting following the program, “Cataloging Correctly for Kids: AV, E-Books, and More!” Eighty-three people attended the program, an indication that there is a need for, and interest in, practical information about cataloging of non-book materials. The Power Point presentations are posted on the ALCTS website.

Reports were submitted by Jane Gilchrist (Library of Congress), Joseph Miller (H. W. Wilson Company, and Winton Matthews (Library of Congress, Dewey Decimal Classification). Gilchrist’s report indicated that the electronic CIP (ECIP) program will become the standard, replacing the conventional CIP program. LC’s new Cataloging and Acquisitions website has a new URL. The Working Group on the Future of Bibliographic Control will draft a report and recommendations by September 1 for public comments. A final report will be issued by November 1, 2007.

Joseph Miller, the H. W. Wilson liaison, reported that the 19th edition of the Sears List is being published in June, with 443 new subject headings. Of special note is the development of new headings in two areas: Islam and graphic novels. Wilson will be publishing a new Spanish edition of its Sears List in early 2008, consisting of every heading in the current 19th edition, plus nearly 1,000 new headings for topics of uniquely Spanish or Latin American interest.

Winton Matthew’s report focused on the DDC data and MARC 21 bibliographic, authority, and classification formats and various translation partners.

Pam Newberg will represent our committee at the AASL Conference in Reno, Nevada, in November 2007. She will conduct an Exploratorium session at the conference.

Education, Training, and Recruitment for Cataloging (CETRC)

Rhonda Marker will arrange with the ALCTS Office to set up a discussion list for the subcommittee.

The subcommittee will begin to survey web-based/virtual/online courses in cataloging and classification. They will begin with the library schools. The committee will collect the data on Google Documents and Spreadsheets for ease of sharing among us. The survey will look for the status of the library school, whether a distance education course in cataloging or metadata is offered, the frequency with which it is offered, the number of contact hours for the course, enrollment restrictions, and cost. Following the survey of library schools, they will consider whether to extend the survey to library professional organizations, OCLC affiliates, consortia, and regional systems.

Other discussion:

The subcommittee discussed its charge, focusing on: identifying new content to be developed, and assessing CE needs in cataloging and classification. They also discussed the possibility of developing a review process for existing content. The issue of identifying group(s) or individual(s) responsible for creating and/or reviewing content has stalled the subcommittee in the recent past, and the continuing members are working hard to overcome that morass.

The progress of current CETRC courses was reviewed. The “Rules and Tools for Cataloging Internet Resources” is being updated.

Based on the Continuing Education Needs survey undertaken by this subcommittee in 2006, there is a need for a course of non-book cataloging. This content would be covered by the proposed ALCTS Fundamentals of Cataloging course.

Policy and Planning

CCS Policy and Planning completed the review of two committees and three discussion groups. Splitting the Policy and Research Committee in June 2003 had created the two committees, Research and Publications (RPC) and Policy and Planning (PPC). Both committees examined their original charges and activities and raised some issues for clarification. PPC discussed these concerns and brought them to the CCS Executive Committee for further consideration. RPC’s charge was substantially revised, and PPC’s charge was discussed but left unchanged. PPC requested that CCS Executive appoint a member of the PPC to serve as the representative to ALCTS Planning rather than the PPC Chair. PPC also recommended that section committees take responsibility for entering action items into the ALCTS Planning Database, with the PPC assigning liaisons to monitor and assist groups to ensure timely representation of CCS activities in the database.

Among the discussion groups reviewed, Cataloging Norms Discussion Group requested a revision of their charge to reflect changing workflows and quality standards for cataloging print and digital collections. PPC recommended a new charge, and CCS Executive Board approved a revised version with a suggestion to consider a more expressive name for the discussion group. PPC approved the reviews of the Heads of Cataloging Discussion Group and Copy Cataloging Discussion Group with no additional recommendations or changes to their charges.

Research and Publications (RPC)

Chair Aiping Chen-Gaffey welcomed those in attendance and announced that she will continue as chair for 2007-2008. Michelle Turvey was reappointed for another term. Rocki Strader was reappointed as intern. There are no new members for 2007-2008.

The Minutes for the 2007 Midwinter Meeting were approved as corrected.

Reports

  • Daisy Cheng and Windy (Winslow) Lundy gave a brief report on the ALCTS/CCS Forum on Bibliographic Control at ALA Annual 2007.
  • Aiping reported on the CCS Executive Committee meeting. The ALCTS Planning Database will be available soon. CCS Executive also approved several programs and preconferences for the 2008 Annual Conference. Since the submission deadline for 2008 program proposals is during the 2007 Annual Conference, RPC will look to submit a program proposal for 2009.

RPC Charge Review

CCS Executive is reviewing the RPC Charge, including clarification of the process for approval of publications that RPC sends forward, and possibly allowing provisional posting of essays pending approval.

Update on ALCTS Publications for Review

There will be an ad hoc subcommittee of CCS Executive Committee to examine the list from which RPC was selecting. A number of titles are not under the purview of RPC; Aiping will submit questions regarding why the title list includes non-CCS titles.

RPC essays/topics, etc.

Michelle Turvey and Rocki Strader’s essays have been approved by CCS Executive Committee and still need to be reviewed by the ALCTS Publications Committee. A decision from ALCTS should be made within two weeks. Aiping will send her essay to RPC for review in late August/early September. Topics for future essays were discussed. Alex Thurman volunteered to investigate updating the essay on subject access. Daisy Cheng and Mark Braden volunteered to investigate the essay on the role of paraprofessionals in cataloging.

RPC Programming

Planning for RPC programming was tabled until the 2008 Midwinter Meeting. Subsequent program planning will be for Annual 2009.

Subject Analysis

The Subject Analysis Committee met twice at ALA Annual 2007: Sunday morning and Monday afternoon. The SAC chair, the subcommittee chairs, and liaisons made their reports. Some of the highlights were:

The SAC Subcommittee on Genre/Form presented a program on Saturday. The program title was “New Developments in Form/Genre Access: Where We are, Where are We Heading, and Where We want to be.” Robert Maxwell, Brigham Young University; Adam Schiff, University of Washington; and Geraldine Ostrove, Library of Congress spoke at the program. Maxwell provided the context for form/genre headings (including a brief explanation of authority records for form/genre headings, and the mix of form and topic in current 150 headings in LCSH). Schiff discussed what has been done with form/genre headings at the University of Washington, and the impact of using them (i.e. in indexing). Ostrove addressed the use of authority records coded 155 for music headings and the conversion of corresponding subject headings in bibliographic records from 650 fields to 655 fields and the importance of this change for music. It was a very successful program. Over 300 people attended the program. The subcommittee was disbanded at the SAC meeting at ALA Annual 2007 since it fulfilled its charge.

Qiang Jin, Chair, SAC Subcommittee on FAST, reported that the SAC Subcommittee on FAST met on Friday. Ed O’Neill updated the subcommittee on the FAST developments since Midwinter 2007. Arlene Taylor presented an analysis of the assignment completed by subcommittee members that compares the differences between FAST and LCSH for seventy complex search terms. In other words, what FAST headings have gained or lost for those complex search terms. At that meeting, subcommittee members provided feedback to the FAST team on a sample of three FAST facets—chronological periods, events (conference and meeting names) and uniform titles. The FAST team will send the subcommittee a random sample of bibliographical records in the fall with all FAST facets. The subcommittee members will discuss issues concerning the sample at the subcommittee meeting at ALA Midwinter 2008.

The SAC Subcommittee on the Future of Subject Headings was established at ALA Annual 2006. The subcommittee is charged to analyze the future of subject cataloging, with emphasis on Library of Congress Subject Headings (LCSH), through the use of SWOT (Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, and Threats) analysis, taking into consideration both internal forces within the library community and the external environment. After Midwinter 2007, a listserv established through ALCTS. Over 750 people signed up for the list. The list guided a discussion of the Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats of subject cataloging for three months, from February to April.

The members of the SAC Subcommittee on the Future of Subject Headings met on Friday and continued working on the preliminary report on the SWOT analysis to answer the question: Do Library of Congress Subject Headings provide a vehicle to adequately reflect subject discovery? The subcommittee will provide the final report at the 2008 ALA Midwinter Meeting, and will sponsor a program at the 2008 ALA Annual Conference. The ALCTS Program Planning Committee approved the program at ALA Annual 2007. It will take place on Saturday or Monday, 8–10 a.m. at ALA Annual 2008.

Lori Robare reported that the Joint PCC/CCS Task Force on Library of Congress Classification Training completed the development of training materials for a two-day workshop in LC Classification and delivered the materials to the Cataloging Distribution Service for publication. The workshop was presented as a preconference at Annual and will be available later this fall for general release.

Marcia Zeng and Athena Salaba, co-chairs of the ILFA Working Group on Functional Requirements for Subject Authority Records reported on the FRSAR. They also discussed their User Tasks survey results and the proposed model of FRBR group 3 entities. There was a lot of discussion following their talk.

SAC established a new subcommittee on genre/form at ALA Annual 2007. Patricia Dragon, a SAC member, is the subcommittee chair.

TOP

Council of Regional Groups (CRG)

Affiliate Relations

With several new members joining, the Committee discussed its role in maintaining contact between ALCTS and the regional groups throughout the year, the importance of keeping contact information updated, the overlap and communication between ARC and other CRG committees, and the expectations for interns.

Actions to be taken:

Continuing members will continue to track their assigned affiliates until notified of any changes to their assignments.

Incoming Chair Elaine Franco will obtain the list of assigned affiliates from outgoing Chair Sue Anderson. Franco will share this information with the CRG Executive Committee, CE Committee, and Speakers Bureau Committee, as well as with ARC.

Any affiliate not currently assigned to a committee member will be assigned to a new member, and assignments will be balanced among committee members.

Marlene Harris and Melanie McGurr will serve as ARC resource persons for the development of the CRG wiki.

Up-to-date affiliate contact information will be on the web by Midwinter or sooner.

Affiliates will be encouraged to add activity reports to the new CRG wiki.

The CRG email list will be updated, with the help of ARC. Discussion among affiliates, and messages from affiliates to CRG will be encouraged. Public librarians who do not attend ALA conferences will be encouraged to view CRG as a means for contact, discussion, and collaboration with ALCTS.

Procedures for affiliation will be updated and codified (including an updated form letter to be sent to prospective affiliates, proposed ALCTS bylaws revisions, a CRG procedural document).

Prospective affiliates (Missouri, Alaska, Ohio) will be guided through the affiliation process.

Continuing Education Committee

The Committee discussed progress on development of a Fundamentals of Technical Services Management Course and/or the development of a Project Management Course. CRG Continuing Education was given this assignment by the ALCTS Education Committee. It was generally agreed that committee members lack the expertise necessary for course development. On the whole, CRG’s role is more one of transferring information from one group to another. Cynthia Watters will report back to the Education Committee regarding CRG’s reluctance to proceed.

Discussion turned to the development of a CRG wiki, a task that is more appropriate for the Continuing Education Committee. A wiki can help CRG serve as a clearinghouse by directing people or groups who wish to develop programs or courses to proper sections or committees within ALCTS. It can also help the CE Committee to monitor topics of continuing education programs offered by ALCTS affiliates at local and regional levels. It will also inform the ALCTS Education Committee or other groups about programs on topics that are similar to the ones for which they wish to develop courses. The wiki is designed to help CRG fulfill a gatekeeper role in moving programs created by affiliates to ALCTS programs at ALA conferences, and making materials from such programs available to members of affiliates who cannot attend conferences.

New members Louise Ratcliff and Feng Shan volunteered to assist Christine Taylor from the ALCTS Office to set up and maintain the wiki. Virtual member Parker Owen is also interested in the wiki.

The “CRG Wiki Plan,” which includes the following proposed sections: ALCTS CRG documents, Affiliates (contact information and reports from regional groups, etc.), CE Clearinghouse (links on CE programs), Speakers Bureau, ALCTS links, What We Do Well in My Library, and Researcher’s Corner was reviewed. Members brainstormed about other possible features.

Actions to Be Taken

The Chair will contact the CE Committee with a list of other CRG members that should be involved with wiki development. The wiki and its basic structure will be on the web by Midwinter.

Nominating Committee

This year’s CRG Nominating Committee is a committee of one (the Chair), so a formal meeting was not scheduled.

The Committee Chair discussed possible nominees for the office of CRG Chair-Elect with members of the CRG Executive Committee during the ALA Conference.

Actions to Be Taken

After further consultation with the CRG Executive Committee, the Chair will contact prospective nominees to ascertain their willingness to serve, and will submit a slate of two names to the Chair of the ALCTS Nominating Committee by October 15, 2007.

Speaker’s Bureau

Following the 2007 ALA Midwinter Meeting, committee members attempted to contact invited speakers and keynote speakers at library conferences and subject teachers for ALCTS CE courses as possible candidates for the Speakers’ Bureau Directory. From January to June 2007, seven new names were added to the Directory as a result of this effort. At the 2007 ALA Annual CRG Affiliate Relations Committee meeting, the CRG chairs encouraged members of ARC to submit their names to the Speakers’ Bureau if they felt they could be of help in making presentations to the affiliates. After the conference, one of the ARC members filled in the SB information form. By June 30, 2007, there were seventy-four names in the SB Directory.

A revamped Information Form, structured to facilitate geographic sorting of Directory entries and offering a listing of controlled vocabulary to allow topical sorting, is waiting to be completed after ALCTS migrates to the new ALA content management system. Before the 2006 ALA Annual Conference, the list of topics was finalized and submitted to Christine Taylor. In September 2006, at Christine’s suggestion, the procedure that had been followed to submit the updates to the Directory was changed. From September 2006 to present, only one updated version of the Directory on the last Friday of each month was submitted to Christine Taylor for uploading on the CRG website. This results in a shorter delay between a new speakers' submission and his or her listing. Christine Taylor prepared a version of the CRG Speakers’ Bureau Information Form and the Response Page for the committee to review. They were approved with minor editing suggestions.

Committee members discussed another effort to contact the CRG regional affiliate groups to assess usage of the Directory. Rather than posting the survey to the affiliate’s listserv, it will be sent directly to the chairs of the affiliates. It is hoped that this direct contact with chairs will generate more responses. This survey will also serve the dual purpose of marketing the Directory to the affiliates. Patricia Dragon volunteered to draft survey questions and will share them with other committee members for review.

The continued the promotion of the Directory was discussed. Lihong volunteered to draft a short article for ANO about the Speakers Bureau Directory based on Carol’s 2005 ANO article.

The chair contacted Christine Taylor about a wiki following the 2007 ALA Midwinter Meeting. Committee members could create Category pages to group speaker listings by particular topic areas. Further explanation of the topic area could also appear on these category pages along with titles of presentations given by speakers on that topic. Wikis offer flexibility and easy editing for information that changes frequently. Search engines also retrieve information provided by wikis. Some possibilities:

  • Establish the wiki and provide a link to the print directory (until there is no longer a need for the print).
  • Offer a nonrestricted page for comments and feedback on presentations or speakers.
  • Provide a page that contains each speaker's bibliography including links to print, podcasts, websites, other wikis, and blogs. This kind of page might be used to entice speakers to participate.
  • Include photos of speakers.

A wiki sounds very promising for the Speakers Bureau. A suggestion was made to provide links to the information form and the Directory from the CRG wiki. To ensure the quality of the Directory we will not restrict editing to committee members. Mary Walker volunteered to represent the committee on the CRG Wiki Task Force.

TOP

Collection Management and Development Section (CMDS)

Administration of Collection Development

Chair Sally Wilson Weimer welcomed the committee, and members introduced themselves. The agenda was approved. The minutes of the previous meeting (January 21, 2007) were approved. Stephen Dew agreed to serve as the recorder for the meeting.

Committee Roster Update

Weimer led the group in updating the committee roster. Kathy Tezla has resigned and will serve as CMDS Member-at-Large. In that role, she will serve as the Executive Committee’s liaison to this committee. Suzy Palmer has new job responsibilities and has resigned from the committee. Brian Quinn’s term has expired, and he is leaving the committee. Stephen Dew will be a new member of the committee. Weimer will continue as a member of the committee, and John Vickery is the Chair for 2007-2008.

Action Items from Previous Meeting

At the previous meeting, the committee agreed to investigate the possibility of developing a bibliography of recent publications on the topic “Use Measures for Electronic Sources,” which was a CMDS program at the 2005 ALA Annual Conference. The group agreed that the program is now a bit dated, and the idea to compile a bibliography will not be pursued.

Draft Tool Kit for Administration of Collection Development

Weimer reported that the committee has been developing a tool kit for administration of collection development, and distributed copies of three bibliographies that are still in the development stage: “Budgeting and Allocation” prepared by John Vickery, “Selection” prepared by Brian Quinn, and “Administration of Collection Development” prepared by Weimer.

Other documentation is planned, and the tool kit will be developed as a website with appropriate links to various resources. In addition, the committee can consider developing the site as a wiki, since ALA recently began using wiki software. A blog is another possibility for keeping the site current. Concern was expressed regarding the bibliographies since the abstracts or annotations will probably need to be original work, not copied from databases or journals. Bibliographies for the project should use a modified APA Style (author’s full names, not initials). For the project, Dew agreed to develop a bibliography on “Preservation & Digitization,” and Braden agreed to develop a bibliography on “De-Selection.” Lannom has already started a bibliography on “Cooperation in Collection Development.” “Training” is another subject that needs to be addressed. Drafts of the bibliographies should be completed and shared before ALA Midwinter 2008.

Update on Section Activities and Collaborations

Weimer reported that the working title for the 2008 Conference Program is “Making the Switch from Print to Online: Why, When, and How?” She also reported that there is a good opportunity for the committee to work with the Collection Development and Electronic Resources Committee to co-sponsor another program at the 2008 Annual Conference. Details about the proposal are being worked out and will be shared later with committee members by email.

Summary of Next Steps

Members agreed to complete first drafts of the remaining tool kit sections by Midwinter 2008. Members also agreed to work on the 2008 conference program details by email, as the ideas for the program(s) develop.

The tentative meeting time at ALA Midwinter in Philadelphia is Sunday, January 13, 2008, 8–10 am.

Collection Development and Electronic Media

For the past six months, the committee has been preparing for the program on institutional repositories. A conference call was set up for the speakers, co-sponsor groups were contacted, a bibliography on IR collection development and an evaluation form were created, program material was posted on the ALCTS website, and the program was marketed on several listservs, in various ALA publications, blogs and wikis.

Final arrangements were made for the program at the committee’s annual meeting. The program took place shortly after the committee’s meeting. Committee members’ responsibilities at the program, including distribution of handouts and bibliographies, equipment checks and other room arrangements, were finalized.

The meeting continued with the discussion of the 2008 Annual program proposal. Incoming committee chair, Selden Durgom Lamoureux reported that the proposal “Making the Switch from Print to Online: Why, When and How?” was approved by the ALCTS Program Planning Committee. The committee discussed the Program Committee’s suggestions, and there was an excellent and very productive discussion about the program’s focus. The committee also compiled a list of possible speakers for the 2008 Annual program.

There was a brainstorming session about possible co-sponsoring groups/committees.

Documentation of the committee’s work in 2006–2007 was uploaded to the ALCTS community wiki.

Education Committee

Committee introduced themselves. In addition to the members, Julie Reese from the ALCTS Office attended the meeting.

After two years of work, the Committee is finally near the end of the creation of the Fundamentals of Collection Development course. The course is nearly complete with two additional modules needed. The Committee wants to give Peggy Johnson a deadline of July 30 to complete the last two modules.

Incoming chair Ginger Williams set a timetable for completion of the review and testing. The dates were set as follows:

  • July 30- Final draft from Peggy Johnson
  • August 30- Teams review modules
  • September 30- Revisions sent to Peggy
  • October 15- Peggy sends revised content to Julie Reese at ALCTS
  • November 15- Julie Reese makes course available via WebCT or Moodle. She will need the names and emails addresses for those who wish to test the course
  • December 1- Conference call
  • December 15- Final test

Those wanting to test the course and how it will be tested will be determined through email discussions. The question was raised: Will the first offering be a beta test?

The review of the modules was set as follows:

  • Module 1: What is Collection Development and Management?- Brian Falato and Jack Hall
  • Module 2: Policy Planning and Fiscal Management- Ginger Williams and Brian Falato
  • Module 3: Collection Development- Anna DeVore and Arro Smith
  • Module 4: Collection Management- Jack Hall and new member
  • Module 5: Collection Analysis-Anna DeVore and Toni Katz
  • Module 6: Outreach, Liaison Activities, and Marketing- Toni Katz and new member
  • Module 7: Trends and the Future of Collection Development and Management- Arro Smith, Heidi Pettitt, and new member

Ginger created the following timeline after the meeting.

ALCTS CMDS Education Timeline for Reviewing Fundamentals of Collection Development 2007

Review: Our committee is responsible for developing an online continuing education course, Fundamentals of Collection Development (FoCD), similar to the very popular Fundamentals of Acquisitions course. We developed a list of competencies and Peggy Johnson is developing the course content. Peggy has sent us five of the seven modules and expects to have the last two modules to us in mid-July. We are responsible for reviewing the content, requesting revisions, and testing the online modules after Julie Reese loads them.

Nominating Committee

The CMDS Nominating Committee’s business was conducted via e-mail after an initial meeting during ALA’s 2006 Annual Conference on June 23, 2006, 9–10 am.

The Nominating Committee submitted their report for the 2007 elections to the CMDS Executive Committee on October 20, 2006. The report included a slate of names for vice-char/chair-elect (2007–2010) and member-at-large (2007–2010). The CMDS Executive Committee approved the slate of officers as submitted.

Publications Committee

Chair Harriet Lightman thanked outgoing committee members Stephen Atkins, Curt Holleman, Robert Nardini, and Joanne Oud for their outstanding service on the committee.

Sudden Selector Series

The committee was updated on the status of the Sudden Selector Series guides, and committee liaisons reported on particular guides. Due to changes in committee membership, it was necessary to appoint new committee liaisons for some of the guides. The business guide is complete and on sale at the ALA store. The music guide manuscript is complete. Litts and Beach (committee liaison for music) will read the manuscript and report to the full committee. Westgate, liaison for LGBTIQ, reported the guide is on track. Litts reported on revisions to the art outline, which he will discuss with the committee via email. Litts reported on several other guides, as follows: communication studies is on schedule, with a late August 2007 deadline; chemistry/chemical engineering guide is about one-half complete with an extended deadline; the history guide is on schedule. Harris will act as liaison for the communication studies guide. Lightman will act as liaison for the history guide. No liaison was appointed for chemistry/chemical engineering. A proposal for an English guide is in progress, and the author is making some minor adjustments to the proposal. Westgate is the new liaison for English. Lev, liaison for biology, reported that a proposal was submitted just before the ALA Annual Conference. Committee members were asked to review the proposal by July 9. Finally, Litts reported that the author for the children’s literature guide is no longer able to work on this guide. The committee decided to review the original children’s literature guide proposal and decide at midwinter whether to go forward with this guide, and find a new author. Litts reported on the pricing of the guides, which will be $28.95 each.

CMDS Guides

Committee members, following up on discussions at midwinter, reported as follows: Jagodzinski reported that the Guide for Writing a Bibliographer’s Manual (CMDS Guides, No. 1, 1987) and the Guide for Training Collection Development Librarians (CMDS Guides, No. 8, 1996) need to be updated and revised. The committee decided to proceed with work on updates to Guide #8. Lightman, Jagodzinski, and Westgate will work on this project. Casserly and Harris reported on the Guide to Evaluation of Library Collections (CMDS Guides, No. 2, 1989). They will pursue updating this guide, and compare it with existing guides published by Scarecrow Press.

Committee membership

A virtual intern will be invited to join the committee.

Future project ideas

Lightman reported on information gathered regarding this idea for the CMDS Guide Managing Media Collections, and will pass the information along to Harris and Lev, who will further explore this possibility. Discussion included conversation whether this should be proposed as a CMDS Guide or as a Sudden Selector Guide.

Working Paper Series

The committee continued to discuss the possibility of implementing an online working paper series on collection-related topics. Lightman and Litts will develop a proposal for such a series, and present it to the full committee prior to Midwinter 2008.

TOP

Preservation and Reformatting Section (PARS)

Management Committee

All current committee members’ appointments are confirmed through 2008 or 2009. K. Mokrzycki encouraged members to convey their interest in serving as future committee Chair.

Publication and Program Updates

M. Ingram distributed copies of the Task Force roster for the web publication “When Your Library Becomes a Crime Scene” which was recently revived at the 2006 ALA Midwinter Meeting. Ingram will keep the group informed of the Task Force’s work strategy and plans. [Subsequent action taken: the link to the ALCTS Program Publication form was forwarded to Ingram.]

K. Mokrzycki reported that the ALCTS Program Committee approved the final proposal for the 2008 ALA Annual Conference. The title is “P(l)anning for Gold: Preservation Models in California and the West.” Mokrzycki called for additional volunteers to assist with publicity, evaluation forms, handouts, and other logistical issues.

Discussion Group Reports

The Committee received reports or updates from all three discussion groups.

PADG

Reported a good turnout and good topics. The Management Committee supported the idea of starting PADG at 8 am at Midwinter and continuing the discussion/conversation on preservation programs in the digital era, which was a topic on the Digital Preservation Discussion Group’s agenda.

Preservation Issues in Small to Mid-Sized Libraries Discussion Group

The DG did not meet at Annual. Victoria Heiduschke will forward the name of the new Chair as soon as possible. The DG’s name change was confirmed by Section Chair Nancy Kraft and will be reflected when the ALCTS website is converted.

Digital Preservation Discussion Group

There was a very large turnout for the discussion of definitions of digital preservation, and other topics including the future of preservation programs in the digital era and digital preservation training needs. It was reported that PARS Executive Committee had approved the Digital Preservation Definitions statement.

New Program and Publication Possibilities

The Committee discussed possible new programs and publications. Topics included preservation issues for Institutional Repositories, and information or sessions on how to create a preservation website. Werner Hahn will follow up on a web-based assessment and decision-making tool that was mentioned at a Rare Books and Manuscripts Section conservator’s meeting. Carla Montori will follow up with PLA regarding preservation programs and possible collaboration. The high number of programs on disasters at this annual conference was also noted.

Policy, Planning, and Research Committee

The Committee continued its ongoing work to conceptualize options for changing PARS’ organizational structure, particularly for its discussion groups. A proposal submitted by Brian Baird was discussed. The proposal recommended reducing the number of discussion groups from nine to three. The rationale for this change was based on the low attendance at some discussion group meetings; “that there are more discussion groups than people can attend.” Likewise it was noted that PARS members have job responsibilities and/or interests beyond preservation and they desire to attend sessions outside PARS. Additionally, it was recognized that there are many non-preservation librarians who have preservation job responsibilities and that PARS needs to reach these professionals. The proposal also called for a closer examination of the whether an interest group, task force or forum structure was more appropriate than a discussion group.

Sue Kellerman shared her review and analysis of the other ALCTS sections. It was discovered that PARS had the most discussion groups with nine while the other sections had on average three.

The Committee discussed next steps, including investigating the ALCTS forum structure and reviewing the definitions for interest groups, discussion group and task forces to determine optimum flexibility for offering programs and addressing the needs of a changing profession. It was also recommended that a wiki be established to share information. The Committee agreed to present it findings and offer alternative structures (at least three options) to the membership at the 2008 ALA Midwinter Meeting in Philadelphia. Background information will be disseminated via the wiki and the PADG-L discussion list prior to the January meeting.

Program Planning and Publications Committee

2007 Programs

Digital Asset Management: Implications for Preservation (Karen Brown and Susan Koutsky) – 250 attendees

Saving Sound in Small Audio Collections: Reformatting (Tom Clareson) – 100 attendees

Preservation Film Festival (Victoria Heiduschke) – Twenty attendees

2008 Program Planning

P(l)anning for Gold: the California Preservation Program as a model of statewide collaboration (Karen Mokrzycki)

Staying Alive: Books through Print on Demand Technology (Debbie Nolan)

Moving Image Collections: Surveying Tools and Preservation Basics (co-sponsor with the Rare Books and Manuscripts Section)

2009 Program Planning (tentative)

Preservation Film Festival (PARS Education Committee)

Saving Sound IV (PARS Recording Media Committee)

Publications

The Preservation Manager’s Guide to Cost Analysis- This was the best-selling ALCTS publication for this fiscal year. It will be reprinted.

Guide to the Standard for Library Binding- The manuscript has been approved by the PARS Executive Committee and will be forwarded to the ALCTS Publications Committee very soon.

Bound Right: A Librarian’s Guide to Managing Commercial Binding Activities- The Committee is waiting for a revised manuscript from the editor.

Saving Sound- The Committee expects a publication proposal by August 31, 2007.

Digital Asset Management: An online publication, a Paper Series, and LRTS have been discussed as forums for the content of this successful 2007 program. The Committee has asked the parties involved to submit a publication proposal.

When Your Library is a Crime Scene- The Committee has requested a publication proposal from the PARS Management Committee.

Other Business

A different timeslot for future Preservation Film Festivals will be considered in order to attract a larger audience.

Recording and Photographic Media: Methods, Materials, Standards

Review of the Saving Sound III Program

Eighty-six people officially signed in at the program. The approximate head count was 105. A total of 170 CDs were picked up by attendees.

Discussion of publishing Saving Sound program materials for ALA. A web publication for the Saving Sound program contents will be suggested. This will enable easy updating of the information (particularly intellectual content and grant information). This will also allow other groups to link to the information, such as Conservation Online and the Society for American Archivists. The proposal is due on August 31, 2007.

A Saving Sound IV program was discussed. This program would address migration, quality control, and presentation (complete sound projects). This program would not happen until the 2009 Annual Conference in Chicago. A draft proposal may be submitted by Midwinter 2008 in Philadelphia.

Other Announcements/Discussion

Solidify coordination of committee with RPM discussion group

Discuss possible RBMS preconference seminar on moving image management at Annual 2008. Tara Kennedy is confirming with RBMS liaison Jen Teper if this is still a possible.

Tom Clareson has completed his term as co-chair. Tara Kennedy is the new Chair for 2008. A new co-chair has not been chosen.

Reformatting: Analog and Digital

The minutes from the ALA Annual were approved. The minutes from the 2007 ALA Midwinter Meeting were also approved.

There were reports from discussion group(s) and others:

Reformatting Discussion Group

Atalanta Grant-Suttie (Co-Chair)

The Reformatting Discussion Group hosted an open forum to discuss the role of metadata in planning for digital preservation initiatives. The discussion was followed by a report by Charles Kolb, Senior Program Officer from the National Endowment for the Humanities, Division of Preservation and Access. 22 participants attended the discussion, consisting of a variety of professional from major research libraries, vendors, as well as representations from the funding agency, the National Endowment for the Humanities.

Intellectual Access Interest Group

Atalanta Grant-Suttie (Co-Chair)

The IG hosted a panel discussion on the Registry of Digital Masters by Susan Westberg (OCLC), and OCLC’s eContent Synchronization Program: Supporting Mass Digitization Projects by Bill Carney (OCLC). Renette Davis, Head Serials and Digital Resources Cataloging, University of Chicago, provided feedback on how her institution began using the Registry of Digital Masters. There was time for questions and further discussion with the panel after the presentations. There were about forty attendees.

Association for Information and Image Management International (AIIM)

Myron Chace (Liaison to the Reformatting Committee)

Myron Chace submitted a liaison report that was an update from the Boston standards meeting. The “Activity Status Report” has not changed since the 2007 ALA Midwinter Meeting in Seattle. He reported that AIIM has considered moving toward “recommending practices” instead of working toward ANSI approved standards.

2007 Program “Digital Asset Management: Implications for Preservation”

Karen Brown

Program moderator Karen Brown reported that there were approximately 300 in attendance, and the program went smoothly. She received several compliments about speaker Joseph JaJa—attendees were pleased to hear from someone outside of ALCTS/PARS and the library community and encouraged more of this type of cross-pollination.

Other Ideas for Future Objectives/Directions/Activities for the Committee

General consensus was that there are some excellent resources in California to continue the Digital Asset Management discussion but not enough time to propose a program for Anaheim (Annual 2008). The Committee will continue to consider developing a program for Chicago (Annual 2009).

TOP

Serials Section (SS)

Acquisitions Committee

A number of issues arose in the course of Saturday’s meeting. Gary Ives reported on the progress of upcoming afternoon program “Making the E-Resource Infrastructure Work: Effective Metadata Exchange and Exposure.” Ives indicated that everything was well in hand, and his sole request was for a few committee members to collect the evaluation forms.

Everything is on track to co-sponsor a preconference with the SS Education Committee devoted to “Electronic Journals 101.” Anna Crech, Janet Hulm and Jill Mason have contacted Virginia Taffurelli, Chair, Education Committee. All the documentation for the preconference is in place, and preparations will be well underway by Midwinter 2008 in Philadelphia.

The Serials Acquisitions Glossary was again discussed. Everyone agreed that posting the glossary as a PDF document on the Web was not effective. Not a single entry had been proposed to supplement the Glossary. At ALCTS' suggestion, the glossary was migrated to a wiki platform. Finishing touches were recently added and it was posted to the ALCTS web site. There's also a link to the Glossary on the main ALA wiki page.

Despite the progress, it was agreed that it would take substantial input from both the committee and interested parties to revive the glossary. Various measures were discussed, including broadcasting the wiki on listservs, conducting a survey, corralling library school students, etc. to provide some momentum for the wiki version of the glossary. One thing that is clear is that it is very easy to submit materials to the glossary on the wiki platform. June Schmidt volunteered to serve as wiki editor.

The final discussion item was whether to suggest a program for the 2008 Annual Conference in Anaheim. There had been some initial reluctance from the committee to take on extra responsibilities in addition to the co-sponsorship of the preconference. However, the parties involved indicated the latter would not pose much of a burden, and the committee should feel free to submit a program proposal. Several ideas were discussed, and Anna Crech proposed the one that gained the most favor. Her suggestion was to focus on practical day-to-day problem solving skills and techniques in dealing with electronic journals and continuing resources in general. She proposed a tentative title: “Jumping the Fence: Merging Print and Electronic Serial Workflows.” She agreed to serve as Program Chair for Anaheim.

The Monday meeting was a brief. Gary Ives reported on the evaluations from Saturday afternoon’s program. Although the evaluations were somewhat low in number, they were notable for their high marks and were almost universally congratulatory. However, attendance was impressive—standing-room-only with well over 300 present—and the high buzz factor following the presentations clearly indicated the program’s success. All those present were optimistic that the Anaheim program would build on the success of the DC program.

Bowker/Ulrich’s Serials Librarianship Award

The CSA/Ulrich’s Serials Librarianship Award is presented annually to an individual who has made distinguished contributions to the field through the professional literature, leadership in serials education, the development of serials management or access tools, or the advancement of the profession. This year’s selection committee unanimously chose Julia Blixrud as the winner of the CSA/Ulrich’s Award. Ms. Blixrud’s contributions have influenced virtually every aspect of serials work from cataloging to publishing to access and she has clearly met or exceeded the award criteria.

Early in her career, Ms. Blixrud served project manager for CONSER’s A&I Coverage Project, which enriched the emerging serials record database with essential abstracting and indexing information. At this time, serials were primarily in print format, and the CONSER A&I project created essential access points to the growing body of scholarly publications. In recent years, Ms. Blixrud has been a catalyst in scholarly publishing’s digital revolution, as a key developer and proponent of both SPARC and BioOne. From print to online, from punch cards to digitization, Julia Blixrud has been at the forefront of developments in serials work and scholarly communication.

With more than seventy publications and a record of presentations in virtually every state of the union and internationally, Ms. Blixrud’s contributions to the advancement of serials librarianship are unparalleled. She has labored tirelessly in her outreach efforts within the library and academic communities to broaden understanding of the complex economic and political issues in scholarly publishing. More important, as Mary Case, the former director of the Association of Research Libraries’ Office of Scholarly Communication notes in her letter of support, “� not only did Julia talk at all of these events—she listened. She brought back to colleagues at SPARC and ARL a sense of how various constituencies responded to the issues and [ARL’s] messages. She helped us to shape our communications, our educational materials, and our programs based on what she heard from librarians, faculty, and publishers around the globe.”

Continuing Resources Cataloging

Committee liaisons Les Hawkins, Regina Reynolds, and Kevin Randall gave reports on CONSER, LC/ISSN, and CC:DA respectively. The reports were followed by a panel discussion featuring three cataloging experts, Diane Boehr, National Library of Medicine; Helen Heinrich, California State University, Northridge; and David Bade, University of Chicago. Each panelist spoke briefly and addressed three questions posed by the committee:

Serials cataloging practice within libraries has traditionally focused on title level access. What are some ways that the bibliographic information used for serial titles can be more effectively merged with the article-level information in A&I databases to facilitate access to article level description (and links to full text), print holdings information for the library, and title level description in a more unified way? Should this kind of unified access be the result of display systems, or do libraries need to change their cataloging/metadata practice to accommodate the needs of other communities to make this happen? Discuss the implications of those changes.

Libraries have long engaged in cooperative cataloging for title-level serials access. In the last few decades, libraries have increasingly used vendors to enhance or extend information about serials in library catalogs. Examples include using Serials Solutions MARC records to track online journal holdings or using open URL resolvers to provide information about print holdings as well as links to electronic content where appropriate. In many cases, using vendor or publisher supplied data represents a departure from the library’s traditional practice for cataloging continuing resources. Examples include accepting separate records for e-resources from vendors when conventional practice is to use a single-record when the cataloging is done in-house, or the potential use of ONIX data to create local holdings records for online journals. Should continuing resources cataloging standards change to accommodate greater use of non-library created data? What can libraries do to increase our flexibility and allow us to use vendor data more effectively?

The CONSER Standard Record represents an attempt to streamline cataloging processes for serials, reduce redundancy in the work of catalogers, and create less cluttered, easier to read public display records. What do you see as the long-term impact of the CONSER Standard Record? How do you see serials cataloging standards evolving over the next five or more years, and what role do you think the CONSER Standard Record will play in that evolution?

A lively discussion amongst the panelists and the audience ensued after the presentations. There were no easy answers to the questions, and each of the panelists as well as audience members presented differing viewpoints. The conversation provided a good forum for exploring possible future directions for continuing resources cataloging.

This educational session is associated with the ALCTS Strategic Plan Objective 2.1 “Sponsor programs and open forums to encourage collaboration and discussion of practices and problems.”

Education Committee

Achievement of Objectives

1. Completed the following documents:

  • Syllabus for Serials Preservation and Archiving
  • Syllabus for Serials Collection Management (Print and Electronic)

These documents will be forwarded to the Executive Committee for approval before they are submitted to the Publications Committee. The first syllabus might be developed into a program proposal for Annual 2009.

Decisions

Core Competencies

This document had been forwarded to the Executive Committee for approval before it was submitted to the Publications Committee in April 2007. Due to a communication breakdown, the committee had a very short time to prepare this document. After re-examining it during the meeting, committee members agreed to revise it. Expected completion is Fall 2007.

Discussion

ALCTS Events at Annual, especially the ALCTS’ exhibit booth and ALCTS’ President’s Program were highlighted.

Preconference Proposal Annual 2008: “Electronic Serials 101”- Possible speakers, were suggested, broadening audience to include vendors, additional co-sponsors. These suggestions were forwarded to the Planning Subcommittee co-chairs.

Suggested Name Change- The committee suggested several changes to the wording. These were given to Marilyn Geller, Policy and Planning Committee liaison, at the SS Executive Committee meeting.

Committee’s web page review- There was a suggestion to add the meeting minutes, a link to the Syllabi and Core Competencies documents, a list of current projects, and a list of past program and preconference co-sponsorships. These additions might generate more volunteer applications for the committee.

Action Items

The Serials Section mission statement was reviewed in relation to the ALCTS Strategic Plan 2006–2011. There was not much time to discuss this, and it will be discussed more fully at the Midwinter meeting.

Policy and Planning Committee

At Saturday’s meeting, the committee made a final review of the name change proposal to be taken to the section executive meeting on Sunday. There was an update on the Strategic Planning Database. Committee members agreed to propose to SS Exec that input and revisions to the database are limited to the committee chair or a designated member of the originating committee. In addition, the chair of P&P Committee should be notified to ensure that the entry is made. The remainder of the meeting was spent discussing the agenda for the coming year.

A list of defining characteristics for interest groups versus discussion groups will be used to help section groups determine their status. The committee discussed the pros and cons of asking committees to consider their status, and agreed to bring the discussion to the executive meeting for guidance.

At Monday’s meeting, the committee worked on an announcement for the section name change. A list of places to post the announcement was compiled.

The committee set a schedule of tasks for the coming year. The letter to Committee/Group chairs that cites the Strategic Plan and identifies pros and cons of various kinds of groups and committees was discussed. This letter will be distributed to chairs and liaisons, who will be asked to include on their midwinter agendas. Policy and Planning Committee members will visit other committees at All Section Committee meeting on Saturday morning with the goal of getting groups to consider how they fit into the strategic plan, and what kind of entity best fits their needs.

During the Section Executive meeting on Tuesday, the Board suggested that Policy and Planning members ask all groups and committees to review their designation and justify it or choose a better fit for their activities.

Research and Publications Committee

Guidelines for Managing Microforms in the Digital Age is underway, and the deadline has been pushed back to January 2008. ALCTS Publications has requested regular status reports to ensure that this publication maintains continuous progress toward its scheduled completion.

The committee reviewed two syllabus proposals from the Education Committee and approved both.

Connie Foster was unable to deliver her report from the ALCTS Publications Committee in person, and sent an update via email shortly before the conference. Items of interest to the Serials Section Publications Committee included ALCTS’ interest in wiki technology and the issue of marketing information about available resources.

Prior to Midwinter 2008, the committee plans to:

Develop a focused proposal for a wiki, including the intended scope and potential issues related to rapid online publication. Beth Bernhardt and Anne Mitchell will draft the proposal and circulate it within the committee for comment before it goes forward to the Board.

Assign members to regularly communicate with designated groups to encourage new publications. Committee members agreed that without clearly articulated liaison responsibilities, it would be difficult to build and maintain such relationships.

Sion Romaine is the incoming committee chair; Anne Mitchell will remain on the committee as a regular member.

Serials Standards Committee

The Serials Standards Update Forum 2007 was held on Sunday June 24, 2007, 10:30 am–12 pm. All the speakers were from NISO groups:

Oliver Pesch (Standardized Usage Statistics Harvesting Initiative/SUSHI)

Nathan Robertson (License Expression Working Group)

Karla Hahn (Shared E-Resource Understanding/SERU)

Approximately fifty people attended. The speakers were all excellent, with informative PowerPoint presentations detailing their topics and the progress that is being made in each NISO sponsored groups. The presentations and question and answer discussion filled ninety minutes.

The Serials Standards Update Forum is now a standard annual presentation that has a sponsor. Cindy Hepfer, the Serials Standards ALCTS liaison, was instrumental in securing a commitment from Swets Information Services for three to four years.

The Committee discussed establishing the Logistics of Serials Standards Update Forum as an annual program. They discussed details of sponsorship and timeframes/deadlines. The discussion emphasized that the importance of timing.

In light of Swets’ sponsorship and the fact that an ALCTS forum requires less planning, the committee considered the feasibility of holding the forum at both ALA Midwinter Meetings and ALA Annual. It was felt that this frequency might help committee members stay active and on top of emerging standards issues throughout the year. The committee agreed to investigate if there is time to hold a forum in Philadelphia for the upcoming Midwinter Meeting. Possible topics and speakers have been identified.

The committee discussed the Serials Standards Online Bibliography Subcommittee. This project has not had much activity in the past few years. Members agree that the project has a lot of potential as a helpful resource and reference guide to serials standards issues, yet will need much attention to revamp and overhaul. The committee will communicate via email about how to proceed.

Committee members discussed ways to better communicate between ALA meetings and throughout the year. The committee needs to do a better job with their charge of commenting and responding to calls for input on proposed standards. There should be a better effort by the committee to provide an official response when requested. It is not necessary for each member to submit a response, but there should be an online discussion and agreement among members resulting in one collective, integrated response given on their behalf.

The committee considered the possibility of establishing liaison relationships with other standards committees. This might be a helpful way to expand their base of activity within ALCTS.

Union List of Serials

The revised committee name and charge were tentatively approved at Midwinter, pending revision. Revisions were made and the charge now reads:

To address and study matters related to holdings information, with special attention to standards, use, and functionality in the exchange and use of holdings information in and among systems. The committee's interests include the application of holdings information wherever it appears, including in local catalogs, group catalogs, and union catalogs. The committee will collaborate with ALA committees with related interests.

The committee identified other ALA groups with related charges with which they may want to interact. These groups deal with various aspects of holdings. One purpose this committee serves is to bring together all aspects of holdings information. The Committee on Holdings Information began its cooperative venture by successfully recruiting a liaison from the RUSA STARS ILL committee.

Other groups of interest:

Primary

  • LITA/ALCTS Machine-Readable Bibliographic Information Committee (MARBI)
  • ALCTS/LITA Electronic Resources Management Interest Group
  • ALCTS/LITA Formats Discussion Group (or MARC Formats Interest Group)
  • SS Committee to Study Serials Standards
  • RUSA STARS

Secondary

  • LITA/ALCTS CCS Authority Control Interest Group
  • SS Continuing Resources Cataloging Committee
  • CMDS Administration of Collection Development
  • Publication Pattern Discussion Group

Email discussion lists

  • OCLC UL
  • SERIALST
  • ILL
  • ILLIAD

The committee discussed and identified ideas for an ALA program:

  • Z39.50 and how to set it up
  • Coding in the MARC Format for Holdings Data
  • Impact of RDA on holdings information

The committee also discussed and identified issues that might be addressed as an ALA program or in educational and training documents:

  • What is the impact of providing e-journal holdings in the MARC 856 field rather than in holdings records?
  • How can a library convert from non-MARC to the MARC21 Format for Holdings Data?
  • What are the various places in which holdings information is found? What is the impact on users when holdings information is found in a variety of places?
  • Which MARC fields are necessary for various functions? What are the functional uses of different pieces of holdings information? (Some functions we identified include: ordering, collection development, statistics, ILL, library users, circulation.)

There were reports from the OCLC UL group and the RUSA STARS ILL committee.

Relevant standards that have been recently released or revised were discussed:

  • ISO TC46 standard (ISO Holdings Schema) (at ballot)
  • ONIX for Serials Coverage Statement (Draft release 0.9 (June 2007)
  • ONIX for Serials: Serials Online Holdings (Release 1.1 (draft June 2007)

TOP