Midwinter 2007 Reports

ALCTS Committees Report from Seattle

Below are brief abstracts of the activities of ALCTS committees during the 2007 ALA Midwinter Meeting, January 19-24, in Seattle based on reports received by the editor as of February 6, 2007. Committee contact information for committee chairs and members may be found on the ALCTS Organization menu on the ALCTS home page; in addition, some committees post minutes and other documents pertinent to their work on their Web pages. For information on committees not listed below, go to the ALCTS Organization menu and follow the links through to the appropriate section.



Division Committees

Budget and Finance

The Budget and Finance Committee met once in Seattle. Four agenda items were paramount: a review of the Fiscal Year 2006 end-of-year report; a status update on the Fiscal Year 2007 budget; a review of administrative cost projections through Fiscal Year 2010 in relation to dues revenue; and discussion of the preliminary budget for Fiscal Year 2008.

The Committee reviewed the Fiscal Year 2006 budget (September 2005–August 2006) and noted the impact of credit card charge-backs; the impact of a 5 percent increase in health benefits for which there was no advance warning; and the significant impact of poor preconference attendance for both San Antonio and New Orleans. The latter situation resulted in a deficit of over $8,000. It should be noted, however, that dues did cover administrative costs and LRTS subscriptions covered LRTS’ costs.

The first quarter report for Fiscal Year 2007 was also reviewed. Executive Director Charles Wilt emphasized that Fiscal Year 2007 will be a year of budget anomalies due to the 50th anniversary celebration events. Under ALA’s accrual accounting structure, expenses are booked when they occur and revenue is posted when the event occurs. The Budget and Finance Committee, the 50th Anniversary Committee, and the Fund-Raising Committee all have a shared understanding that no operating funds will be used to fund special events associated with the 50th anniversary celebration.

Fundraising

Myron Chase attended and reported on the ALCTS Planning Committee Database.

ALCTS President Bruce Johnson attended and related the discussion of the ALCTS membership concerning the Library of Congress’ decision to discontinue serials authority work without consulting ALCTS. Johnson, and others, believe that ALCTS should be driving discussions about policy issues and he commissioned the Cataloging and Classification Section to draft a document on how ALCTS can be more proactive in the future in these types of discussions.

The ALCTS President’s Program for ALA Annual was discussed. Julia Gammon will see if copies of the speaker Peter Morville’s book Ambient Findability may be donated.

Committee members worked with the ALCTS Sponsorship Draft in the fall, and, therefore, provided many comments and new ideas for revising it. The chair will send the revised draft out for review and have it ready for the ALCTS Board at the ALA Annual Conference in Washington, D.C. As the main action item for the meeting, it was decided that this best supports the ALCTS goals 4.4 and 3.4.

Jennifer Paustenbaugh reported on the 50th Anniversary Fundraising Subcommittee.

International Relations (IRC)

Committee members, ALCTS representatives to International Federation of Library Association (IFLA) Section Standing Committees (David Miller and Nancy Gwinn), and a representative from the ALCTS Strategic Plan Committee (Jimmie Lundgren) provided brief introductions. The IFLA representatives described the current work of their Sections and program plans for the forthcoming IFLA conference in Durban, South Africa. Nancy Gwinn gave an overview of IFLA Governing Board issues. Paul Hover reported on the ALA International Relations Committee (IRC) meetings that he attended on Friday, January 19, on behalf of the ALCTS IRC.

Jimmie Lundgren emphasized the need for ALCTS committees to relate their action plans back to the ALCTS Strategic Plan 2006-2011. Committee members reviewed the ALCTS IRC Action Plan, updated the status of action items and related the action items back to the new ALCTS Strategic Plan. The Committee also reviewed ALA’s International Plan 2010.

The Committee discussed submitting a proposal for a poster session for the ALCTS 50th Anniversary Preconference and agreed to work together to draft the proposal and prepare the poster. Margo Curl agreed to investigate the procedures for submitting a proposal. Sha Li Zhang and others will help in drafting the proposal. If the proposal is successful, the group will work together to gather content. The poster session will highlight the contributions that ALCTS, its IRC, and its members have made to advance library services in the global scene. These activities include training sessions, workshops, lectures, and programs sponsored by ALCTS and conducted by ALCTS members to advocate for standards on cataloging management, preservation, and digitization projects world-wide; advocacy and information policy on uniform access to information resources; landmark documents through working groups and standing committees with IFLA and other world organizations on world-wide authority control, codes, and best practices; translations of MARC21, AACR2, or DDC into many languages that are being used by many developing countries, and promotes international collaboration through the sharing of catalog records, just name a few. The poster session will include charts, pictures, copies of some original documents, and other visual items to make it informative and attractive.

Leadership Development

The fourth annual ALCTS Volunteer Forum, sponsored by the Leadership Development Committee took place on Saturday, January 20, and brought together approximately forty attendees to learn about the process and benefits of volunteering in ALCTS from the appointing officers of each section and the Council of Regional Groups (CRG). ALCTS President Bruce Johnson and ALCTS President-Elect Pamela Bluh greeted the attendees, offering guidance about the appointment process and words of encouragement. In addition, Mary Beth Weber, editor of the ALCTS Newsletter Online, drew attention to the wealth of division information available through the newsletter. ALCTS Executive Director Charles Wilt shared insights into ALCTS' liaison opportunities. Potential volunteers were encouraged to: 1) to use the ALCTS website to access descriptions of division, section, and CRG committees and other groups, 2) to visit meetings of committees of interest, 3) to be open to the possibility of serving as an intern, and 4) to consider getting involved in discussion and interest groups. Following the presentations, attendees had an opportunity to informally network with the division leaders.

Cynthia Coulter and Sally Lancaster, co-chairs of the Leadership Development 2007 Annual preconference, "Managing the Multigenerational Workplace: Practical Techniques," finalized plans for a workshop designed to be both enlightening and spirited. On Friday, June 22, 8:30 am–2 pm, Pixie Anne Mosley, noted author and speaker on generational issues, will lead an interactive session highlighting concrete ways to manage in an increasingly complex environment dependent on positive relationships among the generations.

The New Leaders Orientation, hosted by the committee each year at the Annual Conference, is again scheduled to bring together new section and committee chairs and members to hear about the inner workings of the division from the Division Committee leaders. This year the committee is considering the possibility of including discussion and interest group officers in response to suggestions noted on evaluations.

Looking ahead to Annual 2008 in Anaheim, the committee has begun brainstorming program topics and plans to investigate a number of ideas, such as emerging leadership styles, succession planning, and the impact of diversity in the workplace.

LRTS Editorial Board

LRTS Editorial Board chair Peggy Johnson reported on her presentation at the ALCTS Board regarding resolution/request for action prepared by the Editorial Board. The resolution/request was accepted. P. Johnson presented a second resolution asking the Board specifically to take action on supporting an automated manuscript management system and a digital preservation strategy for LRTS. A statement on the rights of authors to post pre-prints in institutional repositories is the responsibility of the LRTS Board. P. Johnson will draft a statement for review by the ALCTS Office and ALA Counsel.

P. Johnson and Edward Swanson reported on the journal and the books reviews, respectively.

ALCTS Executive Director Charles Wilt reported to the Editorial Board on progress toward a parallel e-version of LRTS.

P. Johnson announced that an author has been secured to write a review of acquisitions literature.

Board members reported on their activities to generate submissions.

Membership

Work on this goal included the planning and implementation of actions that would make a successful celebration of our 50th anniversary (Goals 1.5, 3, 5.4-6).

The following were accomplished:

  • Technical Services Fact sheets are complete with one exception and all will be available for distribution and posting at the ALA Annual Meeting.
  • A meeting with LIS and new members will take place on Friday during ALA Annual.
  • A list of authors/all-stars will be established to highlight the booth.
  • The ALCTS Booth schedule is in the works (5.4)
  • The ALCTS Division Committee Chairs update was given (4.1)
  • The Support Staff report was given (5.6-7)
  • ALCTS Membership statistics needs to be studied more closely (5.5)
  • “Mentoring for Success” is the title of the program scheduled for ALA Annual (5.7)

Significant discussion flowed during a visit by President Bruce Johnson and President-Elect Pamela Bluh. Johnson stressed the need to become proactive and exercise our leadership particularly with the changes at the national level affecting the technical services environment.

Organization and Bylaws (O&B)

The review of the Newspaper Discussion Group was discussed. Sue Kellerman, chair of the group, visited the meeting to participate in the review. The committee agreed that this group is the only place where this type of information can be shared, their meetings are well attended, and the group should continue.

Discussion continued on revision of the ALCTS bylaws to remove section names from Article X and a draft motion was finalized for Dale Swensen to take to the Board. The motion was presented to the Board at their Tuesday meeting, where it was unanimously approved. The committee also discussed exploring the creation of individual section bylaws.

As a final item, the committee discussed ways that O&B could oversee the renewal process for interest groups. They also looked at references to interest group policy on the ALCTS website and discussed ways to clarify this.

ALCTS President Bruce Johnson and President-Elect Pamela Bluh visited the meeting toward the end to observe the group at work and answer questions.

Piercy Award

This group did not meeting during the Midwinter Conference.

Planning

Members reviewed the new Strategic Plan database and discussed ways to roll out the database and to all ALCTS constituencies and generate interest in the Strategic Plan. Discussions ensued about the role of the committee to encourage various groups to participate and to put strategic planning on their agendas. Talking points were elicited so every group would hear the same message. Members discussed ways to present information to the ALCTS Board for chair Nancy Gibbs’ Monday afternoon presentation.

ALCTS President Bruce Johnson and President-Elect Pamela Bluh visited during the Sunday meeting and some of these same issues were discussed with them. They fully support the Planning Committee’s efforts and will continue to "talk up" the plan in all their venues.

Visitors from the Planning Committee to various groups to discuss the Plan and the database received positive responses.

Gibbs will continue to work with the ALCTS Office to finalize the rollout of the Planning database. All committee members will work to elicit support for inputting action items into the database. It was noted that committee report forms are received by Gibbs, the ANO editor, and the ALCTS Office. Gibbs will send specific report forms to committee members to enable them to prepare to input action items. After the database is released to the wider ALCTS committee structure, those groups will be responsible for inputting and updating their specific action items. The Planning Committee will continue to monitor the plan and suggest goals and initiatives that are less populated, need some tweaking, or where a specific action item could be inserted.

The committee discussed providing a comment button on the ALCTS home page near the link to the Strategic Plan to enable individuals to suggest how the Division should be using the plan or suggesting various action items. In some ways, this is the only opportunity for individuals not associated with a specific section to be heard within the organization. Gibbs will work with Christine Taylor of the ALCTS Office to make this happen.

The Planning Committee will try to engage the ALCTS sections and committees to consider planning and action items between the Annual and Midwinter Conferences, rather than just at those two meetings so that there is a better review of the plan and there will be more action items elicited and reviewed between the two major meetings.

Program

The committee met with program and preconference planners for ALA Annual 2007 in Washington, D.C. to finalize arrangements for those events.

The committee will establish a Subcommittee on Preconferences to improve the way those events are developed. Pat Tully will chair the subcommittee, and Jim Dooley will serve as a member. Pamela Bluh will share a list of volunteers who might be interested in serving on the subcommittee.

Forums will be coordinated by the chair and the section representatives.

Chair Genevieve Owens will work with ALCTS Executive Director Charles Wilt to draft a Board declaration on the responsibility and authority delegated to Committees of the Board.

Publications

ALCTS President Bruce Johnson and President-Elect Pamela Bluh visited the Committee. They reminded the committee that the ALCTS Board approved the five-year strategic plan in June. They asked the Committee to read the plan and discuss what the committee should be doing to actualize it. John Duke has completed a survey on behalf of the Board on evolving communications technologies. The results of the survey are on the ALCTS website. The committee has been asked examine the survey results and discuss how they might use the organization’s new communications abilities to reach out more effectively to the membership and beyond.

Anne Sleeman has been appointed as the new Paper Series Editor. A mini Paper Series Editorial Board has been created and is scheduled to meet on Monday, January 22, 2007. Pamela Bluh will see through three of the current publications in process, and Anne will handle the other three and any new publication proposals. She received a manuscript one week ago for a publication on electronic resource management. It looks like two or three papers series publications should be issued in time for the 50th Anniversary and Annual Conference.

LRTS Editorial Board Chair Peggy Johnson reported on LRTS activities. An acquisitions literature survey has been solicited. LRTS needs more papers in general in the acquisitions area. For the first time, a guest editorial was commissioned to get a hot topic covered. The ALCTS Board accepted the LRTS report and endorsed two points: encouraging ALA production services to establish a means for electronic manuscript submission, and to pursue a preservation strategy for LRTS. LRTS has explicitly guaranteed rights to authors to post their articles to institutional repositories and the like.

Janet Belanger Morrow updated the Committee on Library Materials Price Index (LMPI) activities. LMPI is on track for this year’s Bowker publication. LMPI has decided that the issue of how to index electronic journals must now be addressed. They hope to create two “model” libraries, one for academic, and one for public, to deal with this issue. It will take a couple of years to put into the electronic journal index into place. Information Today has offered a presence on their website that would be branded with ALCTS. This would allow individuals to download files and manipulate data. LMPI would like to move forward with this before Annual Conference.

Mary Beth Weber reported on the ALCTS Newsletter Online (ANO). Two issues of ANO have been published since the Annual Conference in 2006. February 6 will be the deadline for the February issue to allow reporters two weeks after Midwinter Meeting to submit their reports. For April and December, the deadline will remain the first weekday after the first of the month. The call for reporters is now issued to the ALCTS Leaders list first, to allow those who had already arranged for reporters to respond before a general call goes out. ANO has expanded its content to list grant opportunities, calls for papers, and surveys. The display for the calendar of events has also been expanded to include national, international, and regional events. Approximately 750 people have signed up for automatic notification of ANO publication.

Narda Tafuri read a report submitted by Kay Granskog on the progress of the Foreign Book Dealers Database (FBDD). The inputting is nearly complete (a few new publishers need to be added for Asia-Pacific). There remain a couple of glitches that affect display but they ought to be fixed and ready by Annual Conference 2007. All committee members are requested to review it for any errors or problems that have not been identified. Christine Taylor is sure that these issues can be resolved before ALA Annual and that the FBDD will be available for the ALCTS 50th Anniversary.

Guest Angela Kinney was present to represent the preconference organizers for the session tentatively entitled “What They Don’t Teach in Library School.” The preconference organizers had believed that the papers will be made available as a Paper Series publication. The preconference organizers still need to submit a formal publication proposal.

The Section Liaison Representatives (Janet Belanger Morrow for John McDonald (AS); Douglas Litts (CMDS); Aipen Chen-Gaffey (CCS); Ann Marie Willer (PARS); and Connie Foster (SS)) updated the Committee on the status of their sections’ publications proposals and manuscripts. The updated “progress” spreadsheets will be posted to the ALCTS Publications Committee Online Community website.

Richard Sapon-White attended a joint meeting with the ALA Publishing Committee meeting on behalf of the Chair, Narda Tafuri. The ALA Publishing Committee had requested feedback from divisions. ALA Publishing has first shot at anything a division publishes. However, even if it declines to publish something, they may still offer their assistance in marketing or design. The ALA Publishing Committee discussed the possibility of offering a program for potential authors to let them know what to expect when going through the publishing process rather than a “how to get published” program. Richard suggested that they might want to consider an FAQ. A copy of the ALA Publishing Committee policy manual and organizational chart to the division representatives in attendance was given to the ALCTS Publishing Committee.

Douglas Litts reported on the FAQs that Richard Sapon-White and he have developed for the ALCTS Publishing Committee’s Online Community website and which have been reviewed by the Committee. It was suggested that a FAQ be added regarding the meeting days and times for Annual and Midwinter. A FAQ will also be added regarding how members’ terms run. Narda will post the FAQs on the Online Community site after Midwinter.

Narda will obtain a copy of the form the ALCTS Office uses as a guide to marketing outlets for publications and distribute it to the Committee for suggestions. The Committee asked if it would be possible for the guide series that are being produced to be offered as part of a standing order plan. Narda will follow up on this idea.

The lists of publications needing review on a regular basis have not been updated. The Committee needs to look at the review process and determine why it is not working.

Paper Series Editorial Board

The newly created ALCTS Papers Series Editorial Board met for the first time at the ALA Midwinter Meeting. Members reviewed the ALCTS Papers Series publication process for both print and electronic publications. All current projects were reviewed.

Actions taken by the Board included:

  • Review of the proposal for a publication received via the form on the ALCTS website. More information is needed to make a decision about publication. Anne will request the information (intended audience, outline of chapters, origin of the idea, and sample chapter) and resubmit the proposal for email discussion when it is received.
  • There was a decision to ensure more complete information for future proposals by revising the ALCTS Papers Proposal Form. The Editor will draft a replacement form for the Board to review. Required and optional fields will be indicated to prevent prospective authors from being overwhelmed by requests for information.
  • Each current publication project in the Papers Series was assigned to a Board member for assistance through the remainder of the publication process.

Top

Acquisitions Section (AS)

Acquisitions Organization and Management Committee

The Committee chair reported that the finalized preconference proposal “Workflow Analysis, Redesign, and Implementation: Integrating the Complexities of Electronic Resources in the Digital Age” was approved by the ALCTS Program Committee with no request for changes. It is scheduled for Friday, June 22, 1:30-5:00 pm at ALA Annual 2007. Speakers will include R2 Consulting, Catherine Tierney (Stanford University), Kim Armstrong (University of Illinois at Springfield), and Celeste Feather (The Ohio State University). Nominal co-sponsors for the preconference include the ALCTS Serials Section, ALCTS Collection Management and Development Section, and LITA.

The Committee then focused discussion on delegation of committee assignments prior to and during the 2007 Annual preconference. All assignments were delegated.

The Committee’s activities contributed to the achievement of the following ALCTS Strategic Plan goals and objectives: Goal 1 (provides leadership in the management of information), Objectives 1, 2, 3, 5, and 6; Goal 2 (defines best practices), Objectives 1, 2, and 3; Goal 3 (provides continuing education), Objectives 2, 3, 4, and 5; Goal 4 (collaborates with organizations), Objectives 1, 2, and 5; and Goal 5 (is a vibrant membership organization), Objectives 1, 3, and 4.

Education

Volunteers were solicited to teach the Fundamentals of Acquisitions web course and names will be forwarded to the current instructors.

Volunteers were solicited to serve as beta testers for the Fundamentals of Electronic Resources course, and everyone on the committee was interested in participating as soon as the class is available. Materials have been sent to the ALCTS Office.

Status reports on two other classes, Advanced Fundamentals of Acquisitions and Fundamentals of Serials, are expected in June at the ALA Annual Conference.

There was a brainstorming session to consider other types of continuing education opportunities for all levels of library workers. The discussion focused on a wide range of topics and will be pursued over the next few months.

There were no recommendations for Board action at this time.

Policy and Planning

The AS Policy and Planning Committee reviewed two section committees at this year’s Midwinter Conference.

  1. Technology Committee: The Technology Committee has struggled over the past two or more years, and seems to be recovering. It now has a full roster of members and is planning a program for the 2007 Conference. The members are also considering writing a regular column for a publication such as ANO.
  2. Research and Statistics Committee: The Research and Statistics Committee has been very active over the past few years. The committee has a full roster of members. It has sponsored a successful series of programs on research methods at the past two annual conferences, and it will sponsor the final program in the series in 2007 in Washington, D.C. The committee is thinking about future directions and hopes to plan programs more focused on statistics.

The Policy and Planning Committee’s other main agenda item was to consider its role in the ALCTS planning process. The committee met with Judy Sterling, the AS representative to the ALCTS Policy and Planning Committee, to discuss how they should interact with her and the planning process. The Policy and Planning Committee will take responsibility for working with the database that will track progress on the Division’s strategic plan; each year at the Annual Conference, committee members will meet with each of the other Section committees to check on ongoing action items, find out about new initiatives being planned, and make sure all action items are properly tracked in the database.

Publications

The AS Publication Committee has been busy canvassing our colleagues about acquisitions topics that require present or immediate attention. At the same time, authors have been sought to address these topics. In the coming year, ALCTS members will be able to avail themselves of the much needed Guide to Writing RFPs in Acquisitons by Fran Wilkinson, Guide to Credit Card Purchasing by Nancy Gibbs and Narda Tafuri, and Guide to Performance Evaluation of Library Vendors by Stephen Bosh and Chris Sugnet.

The popular Foreign Book Dealers Directory, a favorite tool of every acquisitions librarian, will soon to be available in electronic form. Kay Granskog merits our appreciation for her diligent efforts by which, over the past few years, she has converted a popular print product into its electronic apotheosis: Foreign Book Dealers Directory Online. Thanks, Kay and the other members of the Foreign Book Dealers Subcommittee!

The committee has solicited writing from some prominent professionals in the field. Forthcoming publications will include Guide to Acquisitions’ Role in Institutional Repositories by Karl Debus-Lopez, Guide to Approval Plans by Amy McColl, et. al., Guide to Acquiring and Managing E-book Collections by Celeste Feather, Guide to Licensing Electronic Publications by Trish Davis, and Guide to Collecting, Analyzing and Presenting Acquisitions Data by John McDonald.

Many other ideas for publications are in development and close to fruition. The committee hopes to soon bring the latest topical checklists and guides to our constituency. Watch for further updates on new titles from the ALCTS AS Publications Committee and the experts who have answered their call.

Foreign Book Dealers Subcommittee

The last of the vendor addresses have been input and the subcommittee is waiting for two display issues to be resolved before the directory can be unveiled. This is expected to occur soon. Miriam Palm will be writing an article for ANO when it is available and will serve as the editor for the first year. The subcommittee will dissolve and the AS Publications Committee will appoint a committee member to serve as editor after the first year as long as it is still considered a valuable resource.

Research and Statistics

The committee met on January 20, 2007. The ALCTS Program Committee approved the committee’s program submission at the Annual Conference in 2006. Over the past six months, the committee finalized speakers and panel members of editors from library and information science periodicals.

Chair Michael Anthony Norman reported on his meeting with the ALCTS Program Committee on Saturday, January 20, 2007 to report on the progression of planning for the program this summer. The committee recommended changing the program description to fit within the seventy-five word limit, and asked for revisions to be submitted before January 30. Overall, the Program Committee approved the direction of the program and the list of speakers. They also agreed with the possibility of restructuring the last segment of the program, which would give attendees a chance to talk to the editors about research/publication work.

Much of the meeting pertained to finishing up planning for the 2007 ALA Annual program “Why Can’t Johnnie and Jane Get Published: Part 3: Research Survey Methods.” Each member of the committee agreed to act as personal liaison with the various speakers: Regina Beach (Jim Mouw), Anna Korhonen (William Potter), Virginia Kay Williams (Connie Foster), Leslie Rios (Karla Hahn), Michael Norman Anthony (David Kohl), and Sandhya Srivastava (Donald King, main speaker). The group also agreed to submit a list of common themes for the journal editors to use as the focus of their discussion. M. Norman will email the group with details and a timeline to follow over the next four months. The deadline for PowerPoint presentations is May 15.

The speakers, including a panel of editors, will examine the concepts of quantitative research, demonstrate proper ways to collect numeric data, show how to use statistical analysis to interpret collected data, document the different stages of the peer-review process, and exhibit proper/improper usage of statistical data. In the last segment, program attendees can discuss possible research articles and interests with the editors.

The final speaker list is now available. For the four hour session, first part (90 minutes)– Donald W. King, Visiting Scholar, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill; Second part (90 minutes) - Panel of editors (1) Moderator, Trisha Davis, Head, Serials and Electronic Resources Department, The Ohio State University; (2) William Gray Potter, editor, College and Research Libraries; (3) James Mouw, editor, Library Collections, Acquisitions, and Technical Services; (4) Karla Hahn, Editorial Board Member, Library Resources & Technical Services; (5) Connie Foster, editor, Serials Review; and 6) David Kohl, editor, Journal of Academic Librarianship.

M. Norman will step down as Chair, ALCTS Acquisitions Section, Research and Statistics Committee after the 2007 summer program. Regina Beach agreed to become chair for 2008.

Technology

The Committee discussed upcoming roster changes as Jeff Carrico, Marsha Garman, Betty Landesman and Catherine Nelson are rotating off this summer. Farrell agreed to chair and everyone concurred. Carrico and Landesman need to go off the committee due to term limits (Carrico) and restrictions on ALCTS section chairs' serving on any other committees (Landesman).

Garman and Nelson are eligible for reappointment to a second term, and expressed willingness to continue on the committee.

The Planning Policy committee questionnaire was reviewed and discussed at length. The discussion centered on the future of the committee in its current form. Other possible permutations, such as becoming a discussion group or an interest group were considered. Ultimately, it was agreed that remaining a committee was the best solution and that although it was sometimes difficult to plan programs in such a dynamic area of librarianship, programs and program planning was essential. Additionally, another responsibility such as being responsible for something such as a column for ANO was suggested as this would allow for a more timely treatment of new technologies.

The program for the ALA Annual Conference in Washington, D.C. was reviewed and suggestions made. Carrico will complete the necessary forms and the Program Committee will review our recommendations and get back to us after Midwinter.

Top

Cataloging and Classification Section (CCS)

Cataloging: Asian and African Materials Committee (CC:AAM)

The highlights of the meeting were the report by Keiko Suzuki, summarizing the activities of CC:DA, particularly developments with RDA, and the report by Hideyuki Morimoto on the activities of the CC:AAM task force in reviewing RDA for elements concerning our subject areas. Philip Melzer gave highlights of changes in cataloging practices at the Library of Congress. William Kopycki reported the formation of an interest group aiming at sponsoring a program on the impact of non-Roman scripts on practices for authority work and cataloging records as well as developments in Islamic law subject headings. Another interest group, consisting of five Africanists, has been formed to review and critique the IFLA uniform title document on anonymous works, which was referred to CC:AAM.

Committee on Cataloging: Description and Access (CC:DA)

The Committee on Cataloging: Description and Access (CC:DA) met twice at ALA Midwinter in Seattle. On Saturday, January 20, the main agenda item was the report of the ALA Representative to Joint Steering Committee (JSC), Jennifer Bowen, who reported on the October JSC meeting. In addition to Ms. Bowen's report, CC:DA heard reports from the Library of Congress (LC) representative, Barbara Tillett, and the ALA Representative to NISO, Betty Landesman. The Task Force to Maintain the CC:DA Publication “Differences Between, Changes Within” presented its final report; its term has been extended until final publication of the document. The future of four active task forces were reviewed and, after discussion, three were discharged. Including those, a total of five task forces were officially discharged: the Task Force on the Review of ISBD Consolidated (July 2006 Draft), the Task Force for the Revision of the ALCTS Online Publication “Guidelines for Cataloging Microform Sets,” the Task Force on Consistency across Part 1 of AACR, the Task Force on FRBR Terminology, and the Task Force on Specific Material Designations (SMDs).

On Monday, January 22, the main agenda item was discussion on the development of Resource Description and Access (RDA). Ms. Bowen also solicited CC:DA feedback on the CONSER standard record and RDA. CC:DA heard from Donald Chatham, of ALA Publishing Services, regarding the development of RDA Online and from Everett Allgood, the MARBI representative, regarding the MARBI decisions made during Midwinter. CC:DA approved a proposal from the Music Library Association and asked the proposal be forwarded to the JSC for consideration.

Cataloging of Children’s Materials

The Committee discussed the upcoming program, “Cataloging Correctly for Kids: AV, E-Books, and More!” to be presented at the Annual Conference in Washington, D.C., on Sunday, June 24 at 1:30 p.m. Two of the three speakers were present at the meeting, and agreed to keep in contact to avoid duplication of material. The program presentation is proceeding well.

John Celli, Head of the CIP Program at the Library of Congress (LC), asked to attend the meeting to receive imput regarding possible changes to the Annotated Card Program and CIP program processing of juvenile titles. He explained the rationale behind the proposed changes, and listened to the committee’s comments. Members questioned having publishers or other organizations provided summaries rather than the Children’s Team write them, nor were they very receptive to the possibility of LC catalogers assigning juvenile headings to nonfiction works when they are assigning the LCSH headings. It was felt that readers need to be included in the CIP program, while the phonics book could be excluded. Additional comments will be sent to Jane Gilchrist at the Library of Congress.

Continuing Education Training Materials, CCS/PCC

CETM first welcomed two new members: Hien Nguyn, the Library of Congress Liaison, and Greta de Groat, PCC Representative. The Chair reported on progress with updating workshops. The Rules and Tools for Cataloging Internet Resources Materials Review Working Group has been assembled. Jennifer Lang will chair a group that consists of Greta de Groat, Lisa Furubotten, Les Hawkins, Allene Hayes, Meg Mering and Debra Shapiro. The updated files for this work should be submitted to Cataloging Distribution Service (CDS) by June 2007. The Basic Subject Cataloging Using LCSH Materials Working Group has been assembled. Michael Colby and John Mitchell will deliver updated files to CDS by June 2007.

The Committee discussed several questions regarding the Cataloging For the 21st Century Workshops. The group responsible for workshop content and trainer development (the ALCTS Continuing Education Implementation Group) has completed its charge and has been dissolved. These questions will be forwarded appropriately.

The Committee also held an initial discussion regarding the workflow and process for determining when workshops need to be updated. No conclusions were reached.

A question was raised regarding the web-based guidelines on hosting workshops on LC’s webpage. The Committee agreed to review this page and to discuss it electronically over the next two months. Concerns will then be forwarded as appropriate.

The committee agreed to work to determine a better meeting time for ALA meetings.

Education, Training, and Recruitment for Cataloging (CETRC)

Cataloging for the 21st Century/CETRC: Sylvia Hall-Ellis provided the background for this agenda item. David Miller and Martin Kurth, from the ALCTS Continuing Education Implementation Group (CEIG), asked CETRC to assume responsibility for their continuing education courses by forming a CCS CETRC Subcommittee on Cataloging for the 21st Century Online Course Development. The CEIG is due to sunset after the Midwinter meeting. This request was approved by CETRC via e-mail in November 2006. The Subcommittee’s charge will be to continue developing online courses based on the current face-to-face training materials. These online courses will be delivered via Blackboard.

The Committee discussed ways to implement this charge. It was suggested that individual teams be formed for each CE Course, which could include people who are not CETRC members. It was further suggested that educators who are familiar with developing online courses chair the teams.

The following people volunteered to participate on the teams:

  • CE Course 2 (Metadata Standards and Applications) – Robert Ellett
  • CE Course 3 (Principles of Controlled Vocabulary) – Danny Joudrey, Anna Ashikhmina, Martha Ann Bace
  • CE Course 4 (Metadata and Digital Library Development) – There were no volunteers
  • CE Course 5 (Digital Project Management Basics) – Marlene Harris, Angela Kinney, Gretchen Hoffman

Rebecca Mugridge volunteered to help with reviewing the courses.

The Committee also discussed the continuing work on the Fundamentals of Cataloging online course, which will be offered through ALCTS. It will be a four-module course similar to the Fundamentals of Acquisitions course already being offered. The Committee hopes to have a prototype available for review by Annual 2007, and to have it finished by Fall 2007. The group discussed the order of formats to be covered in the course. One suggestion was to allow students to choose the order of the formats according to their needs, once they have completed the monographs section. Another suggestion was to have two courses, one a Fundamentals course that covers the basics and monographs, and the other focusing on other formats. Students would be able to take only the special formats course if desired. It was also suggested that we look at what library schools are doing in their online courses. Robert Ellett volunteered to compile a list of cataloging instructors who are teaching online.

The status of the Cataloging Recruitment Toolkit is still unknown. The changes required by the ALCTS CCS Research and Publication Committee were made and resubmitted after Annual 2006.

Angela Kinney and Martha Ann Bace provided an update on the Committee’s preconference, “What They Don’t Teach in Library School: Competencies, Education and Employer Expectations for a Career in Cataloging.” The preconference is designed to bring together educators, new catalogers, veteran catalogers, and employers to discuss issues related to transitioning from library school to cataloging positions. The breakout sessions are intended to lead to identifying practical action items. A task force will be formed to pull together these initiatives. The organizers hope to film the preconference for webcasting from the ALCTS and Library of Congress sites. They are investigating how to get the presentations published.

Priscilla Williams announced that the Mentoring Subcommittee has issued a new call for mentors and mentees. There are currently more people volunteering to be mentors than there are mentees. They have set up a database of pairings in the ALA Online Community.

Bhagirathi Subrahmanyam announced that the Continuing Education Subcommittee has distributed a survey via Survey Monkey to determine continuing needs.

Sylvia Hall-Ellis asked committee members and guests to begin thinking about potential preconference or program topics for Annual 2009.

Policy and Planning

CCS Policy and Planning met only once during the Midwinter Meeting in order to free up member time to attend various ALCTS forums and 50th anniversary events. The goal is to conduct as much work as possible electronically in advance of the Annual Conference to complete business in one meeting.

CCS Policy and Planning distributed questionnaires to two committees and three discussion groups to review their charges and activities: Policy and Planning Committee, Research and Publications Committee, Copy Cataloging Discussion Group, Heads of Cataloging Discussion Group, and Cataloging Norms Discussion Group. Committee liaisons contacted the chairs to offer assistance and, when possible, attended the committee and discussion group meetings at Midwinter. Questionnaires are due by March 1.

CCS Policy and Planning is up for review and meeting time was devoted to discussing the charge and answering the questionnaire. Responses will be finalized and sent to the CCS Executive Committee for clarification and feedback on the committee’s role in monitoring action items in the new ALCTS planning database.

Research and Publications (RPC)

Two of the publications reviewed by RPC this fall, “Essay on Metadata” by RPC and “Semantic Interoperability” by SAC, are still pending approval. The CCS Executive Committee members will vote on them at their Sunday, January 21 meeting.

The CCS Planning Committee chair gave an update on ALCTS’ new planning database, and asked the section committees to think about their current activities and how these will fit the Strategic Plan.

RPC is coming up for review. Michelle Robertson, CCS Planning Committee liaison to RPC, gave a brief explanation of the review process. The committee members discussed various issues and raised questions concerning the Charge Review Questionnaire and RPC’s current charges. Robertson will take these back to the CCS Planning Committee. The RPC members will further discuss the matter and complete the review form prior to the March 1 deadline.

RPC needs to review three publications from the list of ALCTS Publications for Review in 2007. The deadline for the selection of three titles was set for February 2. Committee members were also aware that this list of publications had not been updated, which made it difficult to further select publications for review. Aiping will report the problem to the ALCTS Publication Committee and Christine Taylor of the ALCTS Office.

The Web publication Guidelines for Cataloging of Record Sets: Reproductions (Microform and Electronic) and Original Sets has been approved by the ALCT Publication Committee, and hopefully will soon be available on the ALCTS website.

Essay status and topics for 2007 were discussed. Rockelle Strader (Rocki) has been working on an update essay on electronic resources, and will submit a draft by early March. Aiping updated the committee on the current status of her research of the literature on vendor supplied cataloging records. There was not much literature on this topic, which suggests that more research is needed and should be encouraged. Aiping will stay with the topic and complete an essay before the Annual Meeting. The committee discussed the future essay topics. One hot topic suggested was “the future of cataloging.” The committee was aware that interesting research and articles are in the pipeline. No decision has yet been made on which committee member will write an essay on this topic.

Several members planned to attend the ALCTS Forum on the Future of Cataloging. The committee will follow up on possibility of publications coming out of this forum.

The RPC Online Community web page is now available. Aiping suggested that the committee use this interactive web tool for future discussions, documentation, and other activities.

Subject Analysis

The Subject Analysis Committee (SAC) met twice: on Sunday morning (January 21) and Monday afternoon (January 22). The SAC chair, the subcommittee chairs, and liaisons made their reports.

Some of the highlights were:

  • The SAC members voted to reconfirm the email vote to approve the charge of the SAC Subcommittee on the Future of Subject Headings. The SAC members also voted to extend the life of the SAC Subcommittee on FAST until Midwinter 2008.
  • Julianne Beall from the Library of Congress (LC) and Joan Mitchell from OCLC reported that they are developing an online set of DDC training materials based on their experiences teaching Dewey to LIS students, librarians new to Dewey, and librarians needing a refresher in Dewey application. The materials will include a basic course on the structure and use of the DDC, plus a series of short modules based on special topics (including a general overview). They expect to begin mounting the DDC training materials on the Dewey website sometime in the first quarter of 2007.
  • Ed O’Neill of OCLC reported on the status of FAST (Faceted Application of Subject Terminology). FAST is a subject vocabulary derived from Library of Congress Subject Headings (LCSH) that is being cooperatively developed by the OCLC and LC. On June 21, 2006, the beta version of the FAST authority file was replaced with version 1.0. This new version is being maintained, and changes are now being made on a record-by-record basis and record numbers are being retained. Recently, the last three facets, Chronological Periods, Events (Conference and Meeting Names) and Uniform Titles were completed.
  • David Miller and Ed O’Neill, IFLA liaisons, reported that IFLA Classification and Indexing Section presented its Open Programme on Wednesday, August 23, 2006 on the theme of “Interoperability of subject access for multilingual and multi-script networked environment, particularly for Asia.” The Programme was attended by approximately 110 people. Papers were selected in response to a worldwide call for papers on this theme, in accordance with the practice now widely adopted by IFLA Sections. Papers were presented and discussed at the programme.
  • Qiang Jin, Chair of the SAC Subcommittee on FAST, reported that the SAC Subcommittee on FAST met on Friday. The subcommittee members provided the FAST team with some feedback on the draft of the FAST manual. Ed O’Neill gave the subcommittee an update on the FAST developments since annual 2006. At Annual 2006, the subcommittee members decided to assign FAST and LCSH to eighty complex search terms found by Arlene Taylor through a university library transaction log to test against FAST. The suggestion was that the subcommittee members assigned FAST headings for the concepts as if there were a book on the topic. Arlene Taylor was responsible for the project. Shelby Harken, Shannon Hoffman, Jimmie Lundgren, Eric Childress and others assigned FAST headings for those eighty complex search terms. Lynn El-Hoshy and Pat Kuhr assigned LCSH. The subcommittee members discussed issues concerning the assignment at the meeting. The FAST team has completed the last three facets: chronological periods, events (conference and meeting names) and uniform titles. The subcommittee members decided that we are going to look at a sample of the three facets to provide the FAST team with some feedback. Ed O’Neill will send the chair of the subcommittee a sample in March. The subcommittee reviewed the charge and decided to extend the life of the subcommittee until Midwinter 2008.
  • Lynda Aldana, Chair of the SAC Subcommittee on Genre, reported that the subcommittee has been planning a program for Annual. The title of the program is “New Developments in Form/Genre Access: Where We are, Where We are Heading, and Where We Want to Be.” The program will be on Saturday from 1:30-3:30 pm.
  • Lisa Bruere, Chair of the SAC Subcommittee on the Future of Subject Headings, reported that the subcommittee met on Friday. The subcommittee is divided into four small groups (strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats). The subcommittee will draft a preliminary report by ALA Annual 2007.
  • Lois Mai Chan and Ed O’Neill reported on the Functional Requirements for Subject Authority Records.
  • Diane Hillman from Cornell University discussed the Simple Knowledge Organization System: bringing vocabularies to the Web using the registry for semantic mapping. There was a lively discussion after her talk.

Top

Collection Management and Development Section (CMDS)

Administration of Collection Development

The committee roster was updated. Albert Joy resigned. Kathy Tezla has resigned and will now serve as Member-at-Large and liaison to the committee. Chair Sally Willson Weimer’s term will expire after the Annual Conference.

Sally Willson Weimer asked the committee if they wanted to prepare a bibliography of recent publications on the topic of a past program offered by ALCTS on June 27, 2005. The program was entitled “Use Measures for Electronic Sources/State of Standards Program.” The committee felt that the program is now somewhat dated. New SUSHI and COUNTER standards have superseded older use measures. One member suggested that the topic could be a possible section in the toolkit, or could be addressed in the section on assessment.

Sally Willson Weimer informed new members of the committee’s work on a draft toolkit for the administration of collection development. Sally is checking on whether it can be made available on the University of California Santa Barbara website. Guest Betty Landesman (NIH Library and Vice-Chair/Chair Elect of CMDS) suggested that the toolkit be posted on the ALCTS website. Each committee has a page with a roster, and the toolkit could be added to that page. Sally asked which members had already volunteered or would be interested in volunteering to work on sections of the toolkit. John Vickery had volunteered to work on finance. Brian Quinn completed a section on selection. Kathy Tezla volunteered to work on the section on training. Judy Jeng offered to work on the section on assessment and use measures. Suzi Szaz Palmer volunteered to do the section on preservation and digitization. Mark Braden will work on deselection. Lee Ann Lannom offered to work on the section on cooperative collection development. Sally Willson Weimer will do the section on administration and management. Betty Landesman suggested that the toolkit could include not only articles and book chapters but also websites. She also suggested that the toolkit not be limited to academic libraries but should include public and special libraries. The committee discussed the style in which to format citations. Sally distributed the section on selection that was completed by Brian Quinn. The citations could be in modified APA style. It might also make sense to place citations in bold to make them easier to read, and possibly indent them. This could be done by committee members or by the ALCTS webmaster, Christine Taylor. Christine should be consulted first about format. Committee members agreed to complete a first draft of their sections by April 1. Kathy Tezla said that the toolkit should go to Julie Reese as committee work rather than a publication.

Sally asked the committee to look at the document “ALCTS and the Future of Bibliographic Control: Challenges, Actions, and Values” and make comments. The document suggests that ALCTS is trying to become more collaborative. Technology is changing our work in collection development. This presents an opportunity for ALCTS to provide training for this new environment.

Collection Assessment Committee

The committee began the meeting by making sure everything was ready for the ALCTS Forum “E-Resources Use Data: Outsource or In-house?” scheduled for Monday. An evaluation form will be distributed during the forum to determine if the content was current and of interest, and if the “forum” format is useful for attendees.

The committee is ready to move forward with a Collection Assessment Course and would like to know the next steps. The goal is to be ready to announce a course in January 2008 and make it available some time in 2008 (possibly more than once a year). The structure/template will be similar to the Fundamentals of Acquisitions course. There will be one moderator and two or three instructors. A moderator and one instructor have already expressed interest.

Collection Development and Electronic Media

There was an update on the program for annual, which is titled, “Collecting for Institutional Repositories: All the News That's Fit to Keep.” It will take place on Sunday, June 24, 10:30 am–12 pm. Joseph J. Branin, Director, The Ohio State University Libraries, will serve as moderator. The panelists are: Susan Gibbons, Associate Dean for Public Services and Collection Development, River Campus Libraries, University of Rochester; Jim Ottaviani, Coordinator, Deep Blue, University of Michigan Library; and George Porter, Engineering Librarian, California Institute of Technology.

Chair Andrea Imre will set up conference call for presenters and the moderator. A program format was discussed. Room size needs to be changed to accommodate 101–150 people. Evaluation forms will be prepared by Susanne Clement using previous CMDS CDER program evaluation form as sample. Adrian Ho and Joe Toth will work on a bibliography. They will contact speakers and ask for suggestions. The bibliography will be posted on ALCTS website and maintained for six months. It was felt that e-mail (rather than a Wiki) was sufficient for committee communications.

Andrea will ask panelists to either bring handouts or provide copies prior to presentation and Pat Loghry will coordinate website posting of presentations. There is currently one co-sponsor for the program, the ACRL, Education and Behavioral Science Section, E-resources in Communication Studies.

It was reported that Oregon is building their own federated search platform and they are asking vendors for metadata in licenses they negotiate. There was a discussion of other examples of deal breakers and libraries that have posted their deal breakers on their websites (e.g. Minnesota). The committee might collect these model licenses/ model drafts and create a website.

Brainstorming topics for future committee activities:

  • Consortial selection
  • Changing roles in collection development vs. acquisitions
  • e-books
  • Core competencies in licensing
  • New technologies (e.g. ipods) and how they affect coll. dev.
  • Open Access

Education

The Committee reviewed the evaluation survey from the annual program on collection assessment. While the reviews were very positive, it was generally felt by most attendees that a three-hour program is too long.

Peggy Johnson is writing an online course titled “Fundamentals of Collection Development.” The Education Committee is responsible for testing the course and evaluating and updating the content. The “course” is due to ALCTS before June 2007.

The previous chair submitted a core competencies document for collection development to the ALCTS Education Committee. The final document is being planned.

Publications

The committee was updated on the status of the Sudden Selector Series guides. The business guide is completed and is in production, with the book now scheduled to appear by ALA Annual 2007. The art guide is in progress but behind schedule; in late fall, 2006, committee members reviewed and commented on sample chapters. Deadlines for other guides have been extended, as follows: Communication Studies, August, 2007; History, September 2007; Music, May 2007, Children’s Literature, May 2007, Chemistry and Chemical Engineering, May 2007. A proposal for a Sudden Selector Guide to English was received just prior to ALA, and will be distributed to the committee for review. A proposal for a Guide to Lesbian/Gay/Bisexual/Transgendered Studies (LGBT) was solicited just prior to ALA. The committee discussed future topics for guides, and agreed to solicit a proposal for Biology. Other topics of interest were identified, with special interest in Engineering and Government Documents. Finally, members of the committee agreed to act as liaisons to individual Sudden Selector Guide authors, and appointments were made. The series editor and the committee chair agreed to draft guidelines for the liaisons.

The committee continued discussions, begun at previous meetings, on the subject of revisions of CMDS Guides. The committee reviewed four older CMDS Publications:

  • Guide for Writing a Bibliographer’s Manual (CMDS Guides, No. 1, 1987)
  • Guide to Evaluation of Library Collections (CMDS Guides, No. 2, 1989)
  • Guide to Budget Allocation for Information Resources (CMDS Guides, No. 4, 1991)
  • Guide for Training Collection Development Librarians (CMDS Guides, No. 8, 1996)

Three committee members volunteered to review guides #1, #2, and #8, and make recommendations to the full committee at ALA Annual 2007. Guide #4 was recently revised.

Possible future projects were discussed:

  • Managing Media Collections. The committee discussed the need for a guide to managing video, DVD, CD, spoken word, and other media collections. The committee chair will explore the feasibility of beginning such a project, and report to the committee at ALA Annual 2007.
  • Working Paper Series. The committee discussed attempting to implement an online working paper series on collection-related topics. The committee chair will explore further, and bring discussion points to ALA Annual 2007.

The committee discussed the document “ALCTS and the Future of Bibliographic Control: Challenges, Actions, and Values.” The committee suggested exploring opening up interest groups to librarians outside of ALCTS, and encouraging new kinds of communication with an eye toward archiving web content.

Top

Council of Regional Groups (CRG)

Affiliate Relations

The Affiliate Relations Committee discussed ways to improve seeking and maintaining current contact information and activity reports from the affiliates. Members were reminded to maintain communication with their assigned affiliates between conferences and to report updates to their committee chair. (Sue Anderson will serve as Interim Chair from February through ALA Annual Conference, 2007.)

Goals to be completed before Annual Conference, 2007:

  • Each committee member will report the names and email addresses of the current Chair and Vice Chair of each assigned affiliate.
  • Any affiliates not currently assigned to a committee member will be covered.
  • Application information will be sent to a prospective affiliate in Missouri.
  • Affiliate contact information and activity reports will be accessible via a CRG Wiki.

Continuing Education Committee

The committee discussed progress on the action items from the June meeting. Elaine Yontz provided a status update on the management course, which is going slowly. Use of a Wiki to fulfill the purpose of establishing better communication regarding educational opportunities between affiliate organizations and ALCTS was discussed. Action items include: notifying CRG Chair Elaine Yontz of the committee’s desire to move forward with Wiki development, create a wish list of priorities for the Wiki, contact Christine Taylor with a Wiki request and RSS feeds, contact the CRG Affiliate Relations Committee for its input, and attempt to have something up by annual.

Speaker’s Bureau

The most exciting of the Committee’s accomplishments was the highly successful campaign to solicit candidates for the Directory through a letter-writing campaign to appropriate faculty members at accredited library and information science schools in the United States and Canada from February 2005 to September 2006. By September 2006, all the committee members had completed their tasks of contacting faculty members of those library schools assigned to them by Carol Hryciw-Wing, the former chair of the Speakers’ Bureau. After September 2006, more people were solicited by contacting appropriate candidates from ARL Libraries, the ALCTS Leaders list, NASIG Directory, and lists of authors of recently published articles in technical services journals. From February 2005 to January 2007, new additions to the Directory grew to thirty-eight in number. This is a 126 percent increase over the number of people in the Directory in February 2005. Kudos are due to those members who worked hard to seek these fine candidates for the Directory. At this meeting, the committee decided to contact invited speakers and keynote speakers at library conferences and subject teachers for ALCTS CE courses for possible candidates for the Directory.

A revamped Information Form, structured to facilitate geographic sorting of Directory entries and offering a listing of controlled vocabulary to allow topical sorting, is near completion. Before the 2006 ALA Annual Conference, the list of topics was finalized and sent it to Christine Taylor. In September 2006, at Christine’s suggestion, the procedure that had been used for submitting the Directory updates were changed. From September 2006, only one updated version of the Directory was submitted on the last Friday of each month to Christine for uploading on the CRG website. The delay between a new speakers' submission and his or her listing will be four weeks at the longest.

Committee members discussed engaging in another effort to contact the CRG regional affiliate groups in search of information about use of the Directory. Instead of sending the survey to the affiliate’s listserv, it will be sent directly to the chairs of the affiliates. The chair of the Affiliate Relations Committee will be contacted to get the updated list of the contacts of affiliates later this year. This survey will also serve the dual purpose of marketing the Directory to the affiliates just in case they have not heard about it.

Committee members discussed coming up with a list of criteria for selecting candidates for the Directory to ensure the quality of the Directory.

Top

Preservation and Reformatting Section (PARS)

Education

Adrienne Bell gave a report on the Preservation Instruction, Education and Outreach Discussion Group meeting with twenty-six attendees. Aimèe Primeaux gave a brief update on the NEDCC curriculum testing. It went well and they are at the point of determining the form of delivery. Images will be available for use. Concern was raised about the apparent duplication of effort between NEDCC and the ALCTS Fundamentals course being developed by Karen Brown and Jacob Nadal. The next phase is a classic bibliography.

The Core Competencies document modifications were discussed and made. The document will now be passed on to the Education Committee.

Discussion in the PARS Education Committee on the Core Competency document suggested a cover letter to give future members background on the project. Adrienne Bell will write a background statement to be added to the reverse side of the core competency document. The next step will be to make a bulleted list of course topics. Contract preservation professionals also made distinctions between the development of the bullet list by the committee and the development of the actual courses. PARS Education will select the developer of the course and then forward that person on to PARS Program Planning and Publication who passes it onto PARS Executive who then passes it on to ALCTS. The question was raised as to the PARS Education committee’s role in education programs and out interactions with the program planning committee.

Steve Dalton, in his role as liaison to the ALCTS Education Committee, reported that the draft templates for developing continuing education courses were in the process of being redesigned in grid form.

Tom Teper, from the Executive Committee, reported that the Executive Committee was looking at a bibliographic control document in response to the Library of Congress’ sudden changes to cataloguing rules. ALA was left in reaction mode rather than being considered a partner. The question was raised: How can the groups make ALA more proactive? He then charged the Education Committee to develop content for an ALA Wiki to act as a layman’s handbook on what preservation is and does. This should be for collections and digital preservation. The audience is for the general public and ALA members outside of Preservation. Karen Martyniak volunteered to do the Digital Preservation content and Donia Conn volunteered to do the general content.

Victoria Heiduschke reported that things were going well with the Preservation Film Festival. The planning committee consists of Illene Rubin (University of Pennsylvania), Adrienne Bell, Jimi Jones (University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign), Stephanie Lamson (University of Washington) and Jane Kogi (SOLINET). Only three to five minutes of each film will be shown unless permission is granted to show the entire film.

Jacob Nadal reported on the ALCTS Fundamentals of Preservation course. Section 1, the introduction, is the only section remaining to be written. Exams and quizzes as well as readings still need to be developed. It will be ready by Annual 2007. Karen Brown noted that there is complete overlap with NEDCC’s Preservation 101, but that ALA lends a stamp of credibility. However, the next iteration of Preservation 101 will be coming out about the same time as the ALCTS Fundamentals of Preservation, and there will be some competition.

Jill Rawnsley reported on the Preservation Education Directory. The committee needs to look at how they want to the directory to function and how to proceed. The current directory needs an overhaul. Adrienne Bell, Rachel Hoff, and Jill Rawnsley will form a subcommittee to pull together the previous information and determine which parameters we want to follow.

Steve Dalton, Sarah Erekson, Jill Rawnsley, and Ann Marie Willer attended the PARS Executive Committee meeting to discuss the role of the Education Committee. Since the Policy, Planning, and Research Committee are evaluating the committee structures, they were charged to draft concerns and forward them to the chair of the committee, Sue Kellerman.

Management

The Committee received reports from all three discussion groups (PADG; Preservation in Small to Mid-Sized Libraries; Digital Preservation). The reports indicated that attendance was robust and discussions were lively with many ideas for future discussion group sessions. This would appear to confirm the continuing usefulness of these three discussion groups in future PARS organizational planning.

Jane Hedberg (PADG) reported that some concern had been expressed about seating for the pre-meeting discussions. Given the good turnout, some participants were not able to hear the other speakers. This issue will be addressed when planning pre-meeting discussion sessions for Mid-Winter 2008.

Cathy Martyniak (Digital Preservation DG) brought forward a recommendation that a small working group be formed to draft a definition of “digital preservation.” The Management Committee endorsed the idea and the process was discussed. PARS Executive Committee subsequently passed a motion that this working group be formed. The draft definition will be brought forward for discussion at the Digital Preservation Discussion Group at the Annual Conference in Washington, D.C. PARS MC also endorsed the DPDG proposal for a new listserv to be created, following some research, for discussion of digital preservation issues.

Policy, Planning, and Research

The Committee heard a report from the PARS representative of the ALCTS Planning Committee, Bobby Pilette. She reported on the newly unveiled ALCTS Strategic Plan and the process for populating tactical plans. The Committee recognized that our role with PARS tactical planning would be minimal seeing that PARS Executive will work directly with PARS committees to update the Plan.

Andy Hart, PARS Vice-Chair, Chair-Elect joined the Committee meeting and presented two assignments for the Committee to work on this year. PARS Executive asked the Committee to:

  • Explore strategies for restructuring PARS by looking at relevancy of committees and discussion groups within PARS, consider other structures in place within other Sections of the Division, and look at the bigger ALA structure.
  • Review and revise the ALA Preservation Policy for general updates and consistency with the Principles for Digitized Content drafted by ALA’s OITP Digitization Policy Task Force.

Program Planning and Publications

There will be three programs in 2007:

  • Digital Asset Management: Implications for Preservation (Karen Brown and Susan Koutsky)
  • Saving Sound in Small Audio Collections: Reformatting (Tom Clareson)
  • Preservation Film Festival (Victoria Heiduschke)

Planning is taking place for two 2008 programs:

  • Western States Cooperative Preservation Activities (working title)
  • Moving Image Collections: co-sponsor with the Rare Books and Manuscripts Section

Planning is also proceeding for the 2009 program titled: “Last Copy Repositories” (PARS Management Committee).

The following publications were discussed:

  • Guide to the Standard for Library Binding: Manuscript is under review by the Committee and will be forwarded to the PARS Executive Committee very soon.
  • Bound Right: A Librarian’s Guide to Managing Commercial Binding Activities: The Committee reviewed the manuscript last summer and sent it back to the editor for revisions in August 2006.
  • Preservation Education Directory (online publication): The PARS Education Committee has assigned Adrienne Bell to head up the revision of this publication.
  • Saving Sound: This online publication, based on the three-year PARS program series of the same title, has been discussed, and work will presumably begin following the presentation of the third program at Annual 2006. The Committee has asked the parties involved to submit an official proposal.
  • When Your Library is a Crime Scene: The PARS Management Committee confirmed their interest and intention to move this idea forward.

There were two remaining discussion items:

  • If it is possible to assign more than one track to a program, the Committee will pursue a “preservation” track so that all PARS programs will be grouped together as well as listed in other relevant tracks.
  • Minutes will be forwarded to the PARS Education Committee so its members are aware of upcoming programs.

Recording and Photographic Media: Methods, Materials, Standards

The group discussed final planning activities for its ALA Annual 2007 Program, "Saving Sound 3: Audio Digitization and Preservation." Additional discussion focused on the development of a potential web publication from the series of three Saving Sound programs. In addition, Jennifer Hain Teper informed the group of a potential ALA Annual 2008 program on the Management of Moving Image Collections, which the Recording Media Committee will strongly consider promoting and assisting in any way possible.

Reformatting: Analog and Digital

The committee heard the following reports:

Reformatting Discussion Group

Jean Ann Croft (Co-Chair) - Jean Ann Croft reported that forty people attended the Reformatting Discussion Group on Saturday, January 20, 2007. The topic of discussion was how institutions are integrating digitization into their brittle books reformatting program.

Topics suggested for future Reformatting Discussion Group programs include an NEH report specifically related to reformatting, discussions about consortial digital repositories, and preservation metadata and its implementation.

Association for Information and Image Management International (AIIM)

Reported by Myron Chace, liaison to the Reformatting Committee. Myron Chace submitted a copy of the most recent AIIM Activity Status Report.

Other AIIM-related news is that AIIM and ARMA (Records Management Association) had been investigating the possibility of merging. The ARMA board reported to AIIM that it is not interested in merging with them, but would be open to ways in which they can work more closely together in the future.

Myron reports that the next AIIM standards week will take place in April 2007, in Boston. Myron will be attending and will report on this event to our committee at Annual.

Upcoming Program: Implications of Digital Reformatting for Preservation

Reported by Sue Koutsky- Sue presented the program proposal for "Implications of Digital Reformatting for Preservation," to be presented at Annual 2007 in Washington D.C. to the ALCTS Program Committee. They approved the plan with some "tweaking." LITA is acting as the co-sponsor in name only.

The speakers for the program are: Janet Gertz, Director of Preservation at Columbia University, who will speak about digital preservation policies and project management; Robin Wendler of Harvard University, who will talk about metadata, and; Joseph Jaja, a computer science professor at the University of Maryland, who will talk about digital archiving solutions. He will also be reporting on the initiatives for Archiving Digital Objects (a collaborative effort between the National Archives (NARA) and the San Diego Supercomputer Center).

A concern was raised that this meeting will be held on Saturday at 1:30 pm, which conflicts with the Reformatting Discussion Group. Jin Ma agreed to ask Andrew Hart, the President-Elect of PARS, if the discussion group could be rescheduled so that members of the Reformatting Committee and other interested parties may attend both the program and the discussion group.

Sue Koutsky is unlikely to be able to attend the ALA Annual, and Karen Brown will be moderating the session and doing other background work. The members of the reformatting committee will attend the program and assist Karen in any way that we can.

Top

Serials Section (SS)

Acquisitions

The meeting focused on three primary areas. First and foremost, was an extended discussion of the proposed program for 2007 Annual, “Making E-Resource Infrastructure Work: Effective Metadata Exchange & Exposure.” Program Chair, Gary Ives informed committee members of progress in lining up speakers. This promises to be an exciting and challenging program, and much of the discussion focused on the sequence of presentation. It was agreed that the presenters should have ample opportunity to communicate with one another and coordinate their efforts owing to the technical nature of the issues addressed. Several presenters are on-board, and several others were discussed. Gary indicated all plans are moving forward apace.

The second topic discussed was the Serials Acquisitions Glossary. It was recognized upon release of the third edition in November 2005 that the Glossary was woefully out of date. The hope was that the acquisitions community would submit new entries, and thereby provide the wheels for updating the Glossary. At present no new entries have been submitted. Committee members agreed to mount a last effort to revive the Glossary. The committee will broadcast an appeal to an array of listservs in order to solicit support and input. The committee will also consult with the Serials Section Executive Committee in order to determine the future of the Glossary.

A new issue that arose was the possibility of the committee sponsoring a preconference devoted to the acquisitions side of e-journals. The Education Committee is in the process of making a similar proposal. Education Committee chair Virginia Taffurelli thought it would behoove both groups to work together. A number of members volunteer to work the Education Committee so as to form a planning committee for a preconference for 2008. In lieu of the possibility of co-sponsoring a preconference the committee decided to hold off discussions of a 2008 program proposal. The latter will be addressed as it becomes clearer how the 2007 program and 2008 preconference shake out.

Bowker/Ulrich’s Serials Librarianship Award

The CSA/Ulrich’s Award Jury reviewed three nominations prior to the ALA Midwinter Conference, and met once in Seattle to make a final decision. The committee unanimously agreed on the 2007 CSA/Ulrich’s award winner, and the decision was conveyed to the Chair of the ALCTS Serials Section. If approved by the ALCTS Board of Directors, the award will be presented during the Annual Conference in Washington, D.C.

Continuing Resources Cataloging

The Saturday morning meeting of the CRCC consisted of two major items: 1) Planning for the ALA Annual Conference CRCC Update Forum, and 2) discussion of ALCTS role in the future of bibliographic control.

The recent controversy surrounding the implementation of the CONSER Standard Record and about the development of RDA has exposed a divide in the serials cataloging community between those who see a need to radically streamline and simplify processes and those who wish to retain current practice. The CRCC Update Forum scheduled for the ALA Annual Conference has a tentative title of “Continuing Resources Cataloging: Where in the World Are We Going?” and will be a panel discussion with three presenters, one representing traditional views of continuing resources cataloging, one representing recent initiatives to streamline and simplify continuing resources cataloging, and one from a non-library metadata community who can provide insight about how other metadata communities might handle continuing resources.

The group discussed the document “ALCTS and the Future of Bibliographic Control.” The group recommended that representation from the serials community (perhaps from NASIG, if not from the ALA serials community) might be a valuable addition to the Library of Congress Task Force on the Future of Bibliographic Control. The group also favorably viewed the recommendation in the report that ALCTS actively lobby LC for data to support their assertion that discontinuing series authority work would result in cost savings, and an accounting of how those savings have been reallocated. The final suggestion from the group was to have ALCTS formulate plans of action based on the report’s recommendations, and communicate frequently with members as actions are undertaken.

The Update Forum was attended by approximately 125 people. Reports from CONSER, ISSN/NSDP, and CC:DA activities were given by Les Hawkins and Kevin Randall, respectively, but the bulk of the forum was devoted to training on the CONSER Standard Record. Tina Shrader of the National Agricultural Library provided a general introduction and overview, and Steven Shadle of the University of Washington introduced the draft SCCTP training module developed for the CONSER Standard Record. Discussion after the presentations included questions about the handling of vernacular data and non-Gregorian dates under the CONSER Standard Record Guidelines.

This educational session is associated with the ALCTS Strategic Plan Objective 2.1 “Sponsor programs and open forums to encourage collaboration and discussion of practices and problems.”

Education

Michael Elmore resigned from the committee in August 2006 and Virginia Taffurelli was appointed Chair for the rest of this term which ends June 2007.

The committee reviewed drafts for two new syllabi: Serials Collection Management (Print and Electronic); and Serials Preservation and Archiving. Andrea Rolich (PARS) attended the meeting as a consultant on the latter. These documents should be completed by the next meeting.

Two documents previously recommended for withdrawal have been withdrawn from the ALCTS/Serials Section website: Syllabus for Serials Collection Management, Records Systems, and Preservation Teaching and Training and Unraveling the Mysteries of Serials.

The committee will submit a proposal for a preconference on Electronic Serials 101 to be presented at Annual 2008. The Serials Section Acquisition Committee has agreed to actively co-sponsor this event. The chairs of these two committees will begin the planning process shortly after the Midwinter Conference. This event will focus on all aspects of acquiring and providing access to electronic serials and will be aimed at beginning and intermediate audience.

The committee reviewed the proposed changes in the ALA Standards for Accreditation and agreed that the changes were mostly semantic. Phrases were reworded to reflect currently accepted terminology, such as: “evaluation” changed to “assessment;” “educational results” changed to “student learning outcomes;” and “rapidly changing multicultural, multiethnic, multilingual society” to “global society.” The purpose and context of this document were questioned. It is very general and does not address the criteria for accreditation. The guidelines and rating of library and information science programs were questioned.

The next meeting will be Saturday, June 23 from 8:00 a.m.-10:00 a.m. in Washington, D.C.

First Step Award

Candidates for the First Step Award were reviewed. After review and discussion of the candidates, the jury made a unanimously recommendation, which will be conveyed to the Chair of the ALCTS Serials Section. If approved by the ALCTS Board of Directors, the award will be presented during the Annual Conference in Washington, D.C.

Policy and Planning

The committee reviewed and edited the draft of the proposed revised section mission and name change document. This document was developed over the fall months by committee members based on the committee’s reading of the strategic plan and attempts to adjust the section mission in response to specific initiatives within this new plan.

This draft statement and proposed name change was approved by the Executive Committee with one edit and is now in the hands of the Executive Committee to follow through on based on pending changes in some bylaws.

Moving forward, the Policy and Planning Committee reviewed committees, juries, representatives and groups under the Serials Section umbrella and divided them into three categories: award juries, functional groups and representation, and topical groups. In the coming months, a documentation packet will be developed for current committees, juries, and groups to review. This documentation will include definitions and characteristics of interest groups and discussion groups, the draft version of the Serials Section mission statement, and the ALCTS Strategic Plan. These documentation packets will be sent to current and incoming chairs and their MAL liaisons during the spring.

Each group will be asked to read the materials and consider what type of organizational unit (interest group versus discussion group versus committee) would serve them best, and what elements of the strategic plan are most relevant to them immediately. Documentation of these discussions and decisions should be submitted to appropriate MALs before the second Serials Section Executive meeting at ALA Annual 2007.

The committee was very successful in working together in real time and will attempt to finish its work for this spring by conference call. M. Geller will gather materials and put together the initial documentation by the end of February for the committee to review and finalize during the conference call.

Research and Publications

Michelle Sitko provided an update on the progress of Guidelines for Managing Microforms in the Digital Age. She planned to meet with the rest of the revision task force on January 22 to discuss specific aspects of the revision (scheduled for June 2007).

Connie Foster provided a report on the ALCTS Publications Committee. The committee discussed ways to promote and enliven publication within Serials Section:

  • They are interested in experimenting with a Wiki for timely coverage of hot topics and current practices in the serials community (Goal Area 3 of the strategic plan and the Digital Communication aspect of Serials Section’s recommendation with respect to ALCTS and the Future of Bibliographic Control). It was suggested that the committee come up with a focused proposal that clearly delineates what the scope of the Wiki would be and how we would assess its impact. The committee plans to survey the section to get a sense of which topics are most pressing; we will then outline the scope and potential issues related to the proposal.
  • There was general interest in working more closely with other committees and sections to address the more wide-ranging issues that also affect serials (Goal Areas 4 and 5), and the committee will discuss efficient ways to ensure regular contact with related groups within and beyond the section to encourage new publications.
  • The committee discussed whether there was a need for another forum or workshop on publishing opportunities within ALCTS. The committee will look for more information on the workshop that was held a couple of years ago before coming forward with any further suggestion in this area.

Serials Standards

The committee is planning for the Serials Standards Update Forum, which will occur annually. The committee has secured a regular spot in the ALA annual program for each year. The preferred timeslot of Sunday, 10:30 am-12:00 pm was secured. Douglas Kiker is chair of the subcommittee to plan this year’s forum. Douglas has agreed to co-chair the planning subcommittee next year, and another member will be named to co-chair to learn the process of planning the next forum for Annual 2008. It was agreed that creating continuity with new members and old members is a good dynamic for building subcommittee composition.

Douglas updated the committee on the status of the forum. He reported that there will be three topics:

Cindy Hepfer has secured Swets Information Services as a corporate sponsor for the annual forum the next three or four years. Possible ways to use of this sponsorship were discussed.

The committee will communicate over the next six months to determine possible topics for the Serials Standards Update Forum in 2008. One idea was to revisiting ISSN-L to see how successful a standard becomes after it is approved.

Union List of Serials

The group reviewed the history of the committee and discussed and finalized a proposal to change the committee name and charge as follows:

SS Committee on Holdings Information

To address and study matters related to holdings information, with special attention to standards, use, and functionality in the exchange and use of holdings information in and among systems. The committee’s interests include the application of holdings information wherever it appears, including in local catalogs, group catalogs, group catalogs, and union catalogs.

The committee chair will take the proposal to the Serials Section Executive Committee meeting on Jan. 21, 2007.

The services that the committee can provide were discussed. Ideas include a website with an annotated list of resources related to holdings information (in progress); sponsoring educational programs, possibly with a committee or discussion group with related interests (such as RUSA STARS ILL); and publications that cover best practices or “how-to” information.

The committee goals for the remainder of the year, pending approval of the proposed change

to the charge, will be to complete a list of resources related to holdings information and work, contact other committees and discussion groups with shared interests, and develop plans and goals for the next year.

ALA groups that the committee will contact include LITA/ALCTS MARC Formats Interest Group, the RUSA STARS, SS Committee to Study Serials Standards. Felicity Dykas has contacted the chair of the RUSA STARS ILL committee, Robin Moskal, who has expressed that the committee is interested in establishing a liaison relationship with us.

Top