Announcements

Midwinter Event Update: Discussion and Interest Group Topics

Catalog Management Discussion Group

The Catalog Management Discussion Group will meet on Saturday, January 20, 1:30-3:30 pm in the Washington State Convention and Trade Center, Room 606-607. Please consider submitting a proposal for presentation and discussion. For additional information, contact Ann O'Bryan, Chair, Catalog Management Discussion Group, aobryan@iupui.edu.

Cataloging Norms Discussion Group

“How Catalogers and System Developers Work Creatively with Metadata” is the topic for the Cataloging Norms Discussion Group meeting on Saturday, January 20, 1:30-3:30 pm, in the Washington State Convention and Trade Center, Room 615.

The meeting will begin with “Institutional Repository one click MARC record generation,” presented by Terry Reese (Digital Production Unit Head, Oregon State University Libraries) who will share his timesaving one click MARC record generation approach for harvesting metadata from DSpace into MARC for inclusion in OCLC and OSU’s integrated library system.

Lai-Ying Hsiung (Interim Head of Technical Services, University of California, Santa Cruz) will describe the differences between record and object identifiers, and their increasing relevance as match points or linking devices for searching, record loading, record merging, report generation, global updates, FRBR implementation and data sources cross-matching in her presentation “What is in a number? Its increasing relevance in the online environment.”

Casey Bisson (Information Architect, Plymouth State University’s Lamson Library) will present his ground-breaking WPopac for the development of which he recently received the prestigious Mellon Award for Technology Collaboration. In the presentation “Metadata and faceted searching: an implementation report based on WPopac” Casey will 1) discuss the lessons learned from working with metadata in WPopac, and 2) address how current cataloging practice has served the new means of representing cataloging data and questions the new technology poses for the evolution of metadata.

A question and answer session will follow the presentations. Please address questions about this program to Susan J. Matveyeva Susan.Matveyeva@wichita.edu or Jennifer Lang lang@princeton.edu, Co-Chairs, Cataloging Norms Discussion Group.

Collection Development Issues for the Practitioner Interest Group

The Collection Development Issues for the Practitioner Interest Group will meet on Sunday, January 21, 1:30-3:00 pomp in the Washington State Convention and Trade Center, Room 309. This interest group is a forum for discussion of collection development and management issues that affect individual selectors.

Time permitting, topics for discussion are likely to include:

  • Strategies for evaluating and revising approval plans
  • Serial reviews- Share your experiences of what did and did not work
  • E-Books- Best practices for selection, promotion, evaluation.

Participants are encouraged to bring their own suggestions for discussion topics, or to contact Susanne Clement, Chair, Collection Development Issues for the Practitioner Interest Group sclement@ku.edu.

Collection Development Librarians of Academic Libraries Discussion Group

The Collection Development Librarians of Academic Libraries Discussion Group will meet on Saturday, January 20, 1:30-3:30 pm in the Ballroom of the Hotel Andra. There is a list of thirteen possible topics for discussion. If you are interested in serving as a facilitator or reporter for one of these topics, please contact Brian Quinn brian.quinn@ttu.edu or DebbiSmith smith8@adelphi.edu.

  • The discussion topics are:
  • Collection Development and the Future of interlibrary loan
  • Collection Development and Self-Archiving Advocacy: What is Our Role in Promoting Awareness Among University Faculty?
  • Getting a Handle on Big Deals
  • Purchasing/Subscribing to Electronic Journals (And/Or Not Including Print Versions)
  • Pros and Cons of Electronic Journal Packages
  • Monitoring Electronic Books
  • Balancing Print & Electronic Purchases/Subscriptions (Suggested Ratios?)
  • Training and Professional Development for Collection Managers: What Works?
  • Budgeting for Alternative Formats (videos, DVDS, CDs, Software etc.)
  • Consortial Purchases-Do All Campuses Need the Same Resources?
  • Developing Collections of Computer Games to Support New Programs in Game Development
  • Use of Information/Statistics Gathered by Access Services/Public Services for Collection Development
  • Collection Development Staffing Models (Subject Librarians with Reference and Instruction Responsibilities versus Librarians Whose Primary Responsibility is to Select)

Creative Ideas in Technical Services Discussion Group

The Creative Ideas in Technical Services Discussion Group will meet on Sunday, January 21, 4:00-6:00 pm., in the Washington State Convention and Trade Center, Room 303. The following is a preliminary list of breakout discussion topics from which participants may choose:

  • Purchasing and using MARC records from U.S. vendors and non-U.S. bibliographic agencies
  • Use of genre terms in MARC records
  • Employing temporary librarians and other staff in technical services
  • Making the last five years of your career before retirement the best/most productive
  • Planning work space for technical services staff
  • Outsourcing journal check-in
  • Ordering on vendor websites/using vendor order records
  • Creating a catalog “front end” that integrates well in the Amazoogle environment
  • Creating a “Virtual periodicals room” online display

Announcements and a call for volunteers to facilitate and record the breakout sessions will be distributed prior to the conference. Please contact the Carla Davis Cunningham, Chair ccunni01@temple.edu or Linda Lomker, Vice-Chair l-lomk@tc.umn.edu with questions or suggestions for topics.

Electronic Resources Interest Group

The Electronic Resources Interest Group will meet on Saturday, January 20, 10:30 am-12:30 pm in the Fairmont Olympic Hotel, Spanish Ballroom. The program topic is “Metadata Communities: What is in RDA for You?” Metadata experts will discuss the upcoming cataloging code Resource Description and Access (RDA) and its relation to specific metadata communities. How is RDA faring with these constituents? If RDA is attempting to be "all things for all," can it accomplish this goal? There have been many commentaries on the code revisions from "traditional cataloging" groups, but how is it being received by the newer non-traditional communities? Little has been recorded about their response to RDA and its potential to serve as a content standard for a broader range of communities, and its relationship to other standards as well as current metadata practices.

The panel of experts includes:

  • Murtha Baca, Getty Research Institute (CDWA Lite)
  • Sarah Shreeves, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (MODS)
  • Mary Woodley, California State University, Northridge (Dublin Core)
  • Barbara Tillett, Library of Congress (Comments on RDA).

Contact Allene Hayes, Chair, Electronic Resources Interest Group ahay@loc.gov or Luiz Mendes, Vice-Chair, Electronic Resources Interest Group lmendes@library.ucla.edu for more information.

Heads of Cataloging Discussion Group

The Heads of Cataloging Discussion Group will meet during on Monday, January 22, 8-10 am at the Crowne Plaza Hotel, Glacier Room. The discussion topic is "Series Treatment After 6/01: Impact on Your Library." This facilitated discussion will include brief remarks by staff from the

Library of Congress, OCLC, and catalog librarians from academic, public, and special libraries. The focus will be on how LC's decision to discontinue creating series authority records has impacted libraries.

Contact Robert O. Ellett, Jr., Chair, Heads of Cataloging Discussion Group, mailto:ellettr@jfsc.ndu.edu for more information.

Journal Costs in Libraries Discussion Group

The Journal Costs in Libraries Discussion Group will meet on Sunday, January 21, 4-6 pm in the Washington State Convention and Trade Center, Room 201. The new developments discussion will cover:

  • The NISO Working Group to explore the development of a code-of-practice based option for acquiring e-resources. This newly formed group is jointly supported by ARL, ALPSP, SPARC, and SSP. Come discuss the news with co-chairs Karla Hahn and Judy Luther
  • The Janus Group has identified and is addressing six key collection development challenges. Learn about efforts to support small scholarly publishers from members of the Janus Steering Committee and working groups.
  • The Society for Scholarly Publishing (SSP) Librarian and Early Career Outreach. Discuss SSP with President Judy Luther and Travel Awards Chair Will Wakeling.

Contact Clint Chamberlain, Vice-Chair, Journal Costs in Academic Libraries Discussion Group Clinton.Chamberlain@trinity.edu for more information.

Library Binding Discussion Group

Please join the Library Binding Discussion Group for another rousing discussion of library binding and the issues surrounding libraries and binders on Saturday, January 20, 1:30-3:30 pm in the Sheraton Seattle, Metropolitan A (Co-Headquarters Hotel). The discussion will focus mainly on quality control. Topics will include the fundamentals of quality control, starting a quality control program, and the use of review periods (internally or with a commercial library binder). Time permitting, there will also be an open discussion on the topics covered during the ALCTS Library Binding Preconference Workshop from Annual '06 (New Orleans).

Contact Laura Cameron, Chair, Library Binding Discussion Group slash@stanford.edu regarding specific topics that you would like to see addressed during the meeting.

MAGERT Cartographic Resources Cataloging Discussion Group

The MAGERT Cartographic Resources Cataloging Discussion Group will meet on Sunday, January 21, 8:00-10:00 am in the Washington State Convention and Trade Center, Room 614.

The meeting will offer an open forum for questions and answers on various topics related to cartographic materials cataloging. We look forward to your attendance and the opportunity to share resources that the meeting offers. All are welcome to attend.

Networked Resources and Metadata Interest Group

The Networked Resources and Metadata Interest Group will hold a managed discussion and business meeting on Sunday, January 21, 8:00-10:00 am (8:00-9:30 am discussion; 9:30-10:00 business meeting) in the Washington State Convention and Trade Center, Room 310. The first ninety minutes of the meeting will consist of a managed discussion of issues related to metadata creation and management. Four colleagues will speak for about fifteen minutes on topics of their choice. There will be five to ten minutes for discussion following each presentation. The remaining thirty minutes will be devoted to a business meeting.

The panel discussion participants are: Michael Esman, Head of Cataloging/Indexing, National Agricultural Library, will discuss use of a citation database as the source of metadata for the National Agricultural Library institutional repository. The talk focuses on the difficulty of using author created metadata, the article and metadata submission process established by NAL, metadata mapping issues, and options for improving metadata quality. Diane Hillmann, Research Librarian, Cornell University, will discuss metadata management and updating in institutional environments: problems and potential solutions. She will describe the "Metadata Management Layer" that any institution pushing content should consider.

Jody Perkins, Metadata Librarian, Miami University Libraries, will discuss project planning and management/workflow issues with an emphasis on what makes metadata creation different than traditional cataloging. Observations regarding the impact of "politics" on digital library projects will be provided. Suzanne Pilsk, Librarian, Metadata Specialist, Smithsonian Institution Libraries, will discuss the importance of getting the right literature to the right people in the right format for them to use. The focus on the taxonomic literature that is old but still in great demand by researchers world wide will be discussed.

Pre-Order Pre-Catalog Search Discussion Group

The Pre-Order Pre-Catalog Search Discussion Group will meet on Monday, January 22, 1:30-3:30 pm at Fairmont Olympic Hotel, Senate Room. The topic is “Series World, or Searching Series After Changes at Library of Congress.” Acquisitions workflows pertaining to series searching and related implications following the Library of Congress decision to cease their provision of series authority records will be discussed. Confirmed panelists include:

  • Beacher Wiggins (Library of Congress),
  • Cynthia Whitacre (OCLC),
  • Celia Wagner (Blackwell's Book Services), and
  • Kathryn Loafman (University of North Texas Libraries).

An open discussion will follow brief presentations by the panelists. The session will conclude with a conversation assessing the focus and future direction of the discussion group. All regular attendees of the discussion group are particularly encouraged to stay for this part of the session.

Preservation Administration Discussion Group

The Preservation Administration Discussion Group will meet on Saturday, January 20, 8:00 am-12:30 pm in the Red Lion Hotel, Emerald Ballroom I. The meeting will include formal presentations and discussion about digital preservation policies, preservation education in the northwest, and the behavior of materials in high density storage when wet, plus less formal discussions about the future of preservation, and how newcomers can find their way around PARS. The mid-morning break will provide time to network and investigate a number of demonstration and instruction displays. Contact Jane Hedberg, Chair, mailto:jane_hedberg@harvard.edu for more information.

Preservation Instruction, Education, and Outreach Discussion Group

The Preservation Instruction, Education, and Outreach Discussion Group will meet on Saturday, January 20, 4:00-6:00 pm in the Westin Seattle, St. Helens Room. The group will discuss the core competencies required of preservation professionals and support staff as well as methods of addressing educational needs within the preservation field. All are welcome to attend and contribute. Contact Adrienne Bell, Chair abell@thehfgroup.com for more information.

Technical Services Administrators of Medium-Sized Research Libraries Discussion Group

The Technical Services Administrators of Medium-Sized Research Libraries Discussion Group will meet on Saturday, January 20, 10:30 am-12:30 pm in the Hilton Seattle, Sound View Room. The topic is “Changes in Responsibilities, Organization and Staffing within Technical Services Departments.” There will be as many as six round tables with a facilitator from the Discussion Group Steering Team at each. Individual tables can choose to focus on specific questions from the following list or to discuss each of the questions:

  • What new tasks and responsibilities are technical services departments taking on now and in the next three years?
  • What tasks will technical services departments give up/reduce/outsource in order to take on these new responsibilities, and how?
  • How will technical services departments be organized to take on these new responsibilities?
  • How do we start training now for a future that is not totally clear?
  • How will we help existing staff transition to new roles?
  • What kinds of staffing will be needed in the future (e.g. MLS?, Paraprofessional versus professional, programming skills?) to take on these new responsibilities? What duties are assigned to which staff?
  • How will libraries recruit to fill these positions?