ALCTS Liaisons and Representatives Report on Annual 2006 Activities in New Orleans

Editor's note: The following reports were submitted by groups outside of ALCTS with whom we have formal liaisons.

ALA Legislative Assembly

Duncan Stewart, University of Iowa

The Grassroots Advocacy Summit was chaired by Cathy Hartman of ALA Committee on Legislation. The summit was called to coordinate and strengthen grassroots lobbying on federal issues by ALA Washington Office, ALA's Federal Library Legislative and Advocacy Network (FLANN), ALA members and divisions. Many ALA divisions have active government relations committees; ALCTS simply maintains a representative to ALA Legislative Assembly.

Each meeting participant identified the ALA unit he represents and gave a brief description of advocacy communications for federal issues. Duncan Stewart reported that it would help if the Washington Office (WO) could prioritize the action alerts. Stewart also noted ALCTS' concern regarding the Library of Congress' announcement regarding the cessation of series authority work.

The committee discussed the following issues:

  • How states are working communications involving federal issues. Is each state trying to re-invent the wheel, or is there some way to communicate across states and divisions to get maximum benefit with less "wheel spinning"? Communication needs to go both ways-ALA Washington Office out and FLLAN members back to the WO.
  • Advocacy needs to be encouraged and promoted within the organization with training and education that makes people feel comfortable with taking the next step to contact Congress. It is important for each ALA unit to think of all library issues as our issues.
  • Create a guide to explain who makes up the federal grassroots network and how it communicates. Also, create a guide on the responsibilities of the FLLAN contacts.
  • Develop a member advocacy benchmark or report so that people can see the results of ALA member advocacy for federal issues.
  • Prioritize alerts to help contacts deal with influx of information.
  • Get more library directors and non-librarian advocates involved in our communications.
  • Leadership is needed from the WO to make communication happen.

An ad-hoc group was appointed to review discussion notes, investigate as needed, and develop communication and new directions strategy, and to also evaluate existing networks using the horizontal/vertical model and identifying where we need to improve communication. Duncan Stewart of ALCTS was appointed to this group, which will report to the ALA Legislative Assembly at Midwinter 2007.

After the Advocacy Summit I attended the regular joint meeting of the ALA Legislative Assembly and Committee on Legislation (COL). COL Subcommittee Chairs and ALA Office of Government Relations staff provided a brief version of the Washington Update. They touched on FY 2007 Appropriations-urging support of the President's request of $220 million for LSTA and $100 million for Literacy Through School Libraries program. The danger to libraries posed by loss of Net Neutrality was discussed, as were ongoing concerns with the Patriot Act oversight, the threat to access to government information exemplified by cuts to the EPA library network and the inability of the GPO to provide access to all e-documents. LC's decision on series authorities was also discussed, and while concern was expressed, it was decided that this was not a purely legislative issue. The meeting also talked about the effectiveness of the FLLAN and the work of the Grassroots Advocacy Summit.

Association of Specialized and Cooperative Library Agencies (ASCLA) Accessibility Assembly

Kevin Furniss, Denison University

The Assembly plans to work with ALA and the Office for Literacy and Outreach Services (OLOS) staff to add a category to ALA's "Professional Tools" Web page called "Accessibility and Disability" with links to information on the ALA site relating to accessibility. They also hope to create an Accessibility Assembly Web page.

The Assembly will work with the ASCLA Conference Program Coordinator to try to get a list of

accessibility related programs and meetings for each annual conference.

There were concerns about accessibility at the Morial Convention Center, mostly with simple things like clearly identifying elevators and directions to different meeting rooms. The issue will be raised with Conference Services staff.

Conference Services staff will also be asked about the possibility of members who request accommodations at conference to get priority hotel reservations at or near the hotel where most of the programs in the track of most interest to them are held.

Concerns were expressed about the lack of vendors in the Accessibility Pavilion at the Exhibits. There were also concerns about many products, particularly electronic resources that are not accessible.

Assembly members are going to work together to try to show the new film "History Through Deaf Eyes" at the Seattle Public Library one evening during the conference.

A program for 2007 was proposed on federal organizations that provide disability related information to libraries. It is hoped that the Assembly can get representatives from those organizations to attend the meeting to speak

Freedom to Read Foundation

Kay Ann Cassell, Rutgers University

There are a few cases and legislative issues of note:

Four Connecticut librarians were finally allowed to reveal their identity after the Second Circuit was informed by the government that they no longer opposed this and the gag order was lifted. This case involved the issuing of a National Security Letter last summer asking for the names and identifying information of every person who used a library computer on a particular day. The Connecticut librarians spoke at a forum at ALA on Monday, June 26.

In the Lyle versus Warner Brother Television Productions, the plaintiff stated that a hostile work environment was created at the writers' meetings of the television show, "Friends." The California Supreme Court ruled in favor of the defendants finding that the writers' comments were not sufficiently severe or pervasive to create a hostile work environment. This is an important case for libraries.

The Freedom to Read Foundation continues to participate as a plaintiff in lawsuits challenging state laws that criminalize the distribution of Internet content deemed "harmful to minors," to assure that those using the Internet continue to enjoy their full First Amendment rights and retain the right to determine for themselves what they read and view on the Internet. One such case is The King's English versus Shurtleff, which challenges the Utah statute extending the state's "harmful to minors" prohibitions to the Internet.

It was stated that some gains had been made during a discussion of the renewal of the Patriot Act. The person now has the right to consult an attorney, has the right to challenge the gag order, and the Justice Department must report annually on the number of Section 215 orders.

Several Congressional representatives have introduced legislation to defend Internet neutrality after several large telecommunications companies proposed creating a two-tiered Internet, providing preferential treatment to Internet content provides paying an additional fee to ensure speedier delivery or improved quality of service.

The FTRF membership has increased, and a new organizational membership was approved to encourage libraries and other institutions to join at a more substantial level.

There will be a fundraiser at the Seattle Public Library on Sunday, from 5-7 p.m. during the Midwinter meeting in Seattle with the author, Chris Crutcher, speaking.

Joint Steering Committee for Revision of AACR

Jennifer Bowen, University of Rochester Libraries and Eastman School of Music

The Joint Steering Committee (JSC) for Revision of Anglo-American Cataloguing Rules (AACR) met in Ottawa from April 24-28, 2006 to continue its development of RDA (Resource Description and Access), a new standard for resource description to replace AACR2.

The first release of RDA is planned for mid-2008.

Major outcomes of the JSC meeting include the following:

In response to comments received during the review of the draft of part I of RDA, the JSC will restructure the guidelines within RDA to further align it with concepts and terminology used for descriptive metadata outside the library community as well as to be more consistent with international cataloging principles. This restructuring will not affect the planned timeline for RDA development, with the draft of the next section of RDA to be released for public comment in mid-June 2006.

The JSC expressed initial support for a preliminary report generated by a joint RDA and ONIX initiative (http://www.editeur.org/) to develop a common framework for resource categorization that will align those portions of RDA related to categorizing resources with comparable sections of the ONIX formats. This collaborative effort between the library community and members of the international book industry will potentially facilitate data transfer between the two communities for all types of media.

The JSC affirmed plans to include a mapping of RDA and MARC 21 data elements within the RDA product. A draft version of this mapping is currently being developed, and will be shared with MARBI at the ALA Midwinter Meeting (January 2007) to facilitate implementation discussions for using RDA with MARC 21.

The JSC developed a procedure for reviewing the extensive comments received during the public review of the draft of part I of RDA from the six JSC constituencies, library rule-making organizations in six other countries, and other resource description organizations and individuals.

The JSC met jointly with the Committee of Principals for AACR. The two groups agreed to make the majority of current and future JSC documents public via the JSC Web site, and also discussed the RDA Strategic Plan, RDA Project Management, and issues related to the future governance structure for RDA.

A fuller report of the meetings of the Joint Steering Committee and other documents related to RDA are available at: http://www.collectionscanada.ca/jsc/index.html.

The next meeting of the JSC will be October 16-20, 2006 in Washington, D.C.

NISO Report

Betty Landesman, National Institutes of Health Library

Standards activities since Midwinter conference 2006:

NISO standards

Z39.71-200X - Holdings Statements for Bibliographic Items

Z39.71-1999, which specifies display requirements for holdings statements for bibliographic items, was balloted for its five-year reaffirmation in June 2004. The comments received were substantive enough to require a re-ballot. The changes made were primarily intended to maintain consistency within the standard. The balloting period ended June 1, 2006.

E-mailed:
ALCTS/LITA MARBI Committee
ALCTS CCS Cataloging: Description and Access Committee
ALCTS SS Continuing Resources Cataloging Committee
ALCTS SS Serials Standards Committee
ALCTS SS Union Lists of Serials Committee
LAMA SASS Technical Services Systems Committee
LITA Standards Interest Group

Received comments/recommendations from:
ALCTS/LITA MARBI Committee
ALCTS SS Continuing Resources Cataloging Committee
ALCTS SS Serials Standards Committee
ALCTS SS Union Lists of Serials Committee

Vote:
ALA voted Yes.

Z39.87-200X - Data Dictionary for Technical Metadata for Digital Still Images. This standard was previously balloted in 2005 and was revised based on comments received from that ballot. The balloting period ended June 14, 2006.

E-mailed:
ALCTS Electronic Resources Interest Group
ALCTS Networked Resources and Metadata Interest Group
ALCTS CCS Cataloging: Description and Access Committee
ACRL Arts Section Technology in the Arts Committee
LAMA SASS Technical Services Systems Committee
LITA Digital Libraries Technologies Interest Group
LITA Internet Resources Interest Group
LITA Technology and the Arts Interest Group
RUSA MARS Local Systems and Services Committee

Received comments/recommendations from:
None.

Vote:
In the absence of input, ALA voted Yes.

NISO formed a Technical Committee to create guidelines for best practices for the use of radio frequency identification (RFID) in library applications. The chair is Vinod Chachra, CEO of VTLS Inc.

ISO standards

ISO 832:1994 - Bibliographic Description and References - Rules for the Abbreviation of Bibliographic Terms

ISO 3901:2001 - International Standard Recording Code (ISRC)

ISO 10444:1994 - International Standard Technical Report Number (ISRN)

ISO 15701:2001 - International Standard Musical Work Code (ISWC)

These standards were up for their five year systematic review ballots. The ISRN standard was recommended for withdrawal because the registration authority had resigned and due to its general lack of use by producers of scientific and technical reports. The balloting period ended June 16, 2006.

E-mailed:
ALCTS/LITA MARBI Committee
ALCTS CCS Cataloging: Description and Access Committee
ALCTS SS Continuing Resources Cataloging Committee
LAMA SASS Technical Services Systems Committee
PLA Library Services Cluster Cataloging Needs of Public Libraries Committee

Received comments/recommendations from:
ALCTS SS Continuing Resources Cataloging Committee
PLA Library Services Cluster Cataloging Needs of Public Libraries Committee

Vote:
ALA recommended the confirmation of ISO 832:1994, 3901:2001, and 15701:2001, and the withdrawal of ISO 10444:1994.

ISO/FDIS 3166-1 - Codes for the Representation of Names of Countries and Their Subdivisions - Part 1: Country Codes. This is the final draft of this standard prior to publication. The balloting period ends June 27, 2006.

E-mailed:
ALCTS/LITA MARBI Committee
ALCTS CCS Cataloging: Description and Access Committee
ALCTS SS Continuing Resources Cataloging Committee
LAMA SASS Technical Services Systems Committee
LITA Standards Interest Group
PLA Library Services Cluster Cataloging Needs of Public Libraries Committee
Comments and recommendations due June 27, 2006.

ISO NWI 27729 - International Standard Party Identifier (ISPI). This is a proposal for a new standards to define specifications for parties (persons and corporate bodies) involved in the creation and production of content entities (e.g., authors, composers, performers, groups of performers such as orchestras, music publishers, music producers, book publishers, audiovisual producers, producers of sound recordings, broadcasters, etc.). The balloting period ends June 29, 2006.

E-mailed:
ALCTS/LITA MARBI Committee
ALCTS CCS Cataloging: Description and Access Committee
ALCTS SS Continuing Resources Cataloging Committee
LAMA SASS Technical Services Systems Committee
LITA Standards Interest Group
PLA Library Services Cluster Cataloging Needs of Public Libraries Committee
Comments and recommendations due June 29, 2006.

Other NISO activity

NISO updated its mission statement in February. The new statement reads as follows:

NISO fosters the development and maintenance of standards that facilitate the creation, persistent management, and effective interchange of information so that it can be trusted for use in research and learning.

The Board will present a set of proposed changes in its bylaws and operating procedures to the membership in the second quarter of 2006.

NISO held an invitational "Roundtable on Digital Identifiers" at the Lister Hill Center at the National Library of Medicine on March 13-14, 2006.

The NISO Standardized Usage Statistics Harvesting Initiative (SUSHI) held two Webinars to introduce the SUSHI protocol, an automated request and response for moving COUNTER-compliant statistics from providers to library electronic repositories. The first, held on May 17, 2006, was an introduction to librarians and content providers. The second, held on May 24, 2006, focused on the technology involved.

NISO has scheduled a workshop on "Managing Electronic Collections" to be held in Denver, CO on September 27-29, 2006.

NISO has scheduled a workshop called "Discovery to Delivery: a Festival of Ideas and Solutions" (featuring case studies and demonstrations of how specific standards solve specific problems) to be held in Raleigh-Durham, NC on November 2-3, 2006.

Activities at Annual

NISO meetings/programs:
AVIAC - ILS vendor roundtable - Friday, June 23, 4-5 p.m., Loews New Orleans, St. Tammany Room
NISO Standards Roundup - Sunday, June 25, 4-6 p.m., Loews New Orleans, Feliciana East Room
The NISO Framework Committee plans to share its work on shaping a new standards program at these meetings.