ALA Annual Meeting 2006, New Orleans
ALCTS Board 2005-2006
Following are the key actions, in summary form, taken by the ALCTS Board of Directors during the 2006 ALA Annual Meeting in New Orleans. Routine actions, such as adopting agendas and approving minutes, are not included.
- Accepted the Preservation and Reformatting Section statement on the revision of the Interlibrary Loan code of the United States to prohibit pressure sensitive adhesives on loaned materials. A letter was forwarded to the Reference and Users Services Association (RUSA).
- Approved the Paper Series manuscript: SALSA de Tópicos = Subjects in SALSA: Spanish and Latin American Subject Access.
- Approved the Collection Management and Development Section's Sudden Selector's Guide to Business Resources.
- Endorsed the statement “Urgent Action Needed to Preserve Scholarly Electronic Journals” presented in October 2005 to the Association of Research Libraries (ARL).
- Adopted a resolution on the Library of Congress’s (LC) series authority decision. The resolution has been forwarded to LC.
- Approved ALCTS involvement in ALA President Leslie Burger’s Emerging Leaders initiative.
- Accepted the Administrative Report of the Executive Director.
- Accepted the Emerging Communication Technology Task Force’s final report. The ALCTS office and Executive Committee will analyze it closely for implementation strategies.
- Adopted the 2006-2011 ALCTS Strategic Plan. ALCTS members will begin recommending tactical initiatives shortly to populate the Strategic Plan.
- Received the Task Force on Non-English Access draft report. The Board will provide the task force with feedback so that a final version of the report will be ready in October.
- Accepted the Fiscal Year 2006 April budget report in two parts, narrative and financials.
- Approved the recommendation of the International Relations Committee to re-nominate for a second four-year term, 2007-2011, as ALA representatives to the following IFLA sections: William Garrison, Cataloguing Section and David Miller, Classification and Indexing Section.
- Approved the recommendation of the International Relations Committee to nominate Sha Li Zhang for a four-year term, 2007-2011, as ALA representative to the IFLA Acquisitions and Collection Development Section.
- Approved the recommendations of the International Relations Committee to nominate for a four-year term, 2007-2011, as ALA representatives to the following IFLA sections: Jeanne Drewes, Preservation and Conservation Section, Glenn Patton, Bibliography Section, Susan Kellerman, Newspapers Section, and Jina Wakimoto, Serials Section.
- Approved a recommendation from the ALCTS 50th Anniversary Committee to declare Sunday, June 24, from 4 to 6 p.m. and Monday, June 25, from 10:30 a.m. to Noon no conflict times during the 2007 ALA Annual Conference in Washington, D.C.
- Approved a memorial resolution for Henriette Avram. The resolution was forwarded by Diane Dates Casey, ALCTS Councilor, to ALA Council for adoption.
- Approved a memorial resolution for Ross Atkinson. The resolution was forwarded by Diane Dates Casey, ALCTS Councilor, to ALA Council for adoption.
- Approved the recommendations of the ALCTS Organization and Bylaws Committee (O&B) regarding review of the Medium Heads of Technical Services Discussion Group; the ALCTS/LITA/RUSA Machine-Readable Bibliographic Information (MARBI) Committee (joint with LITA and RUSA); the Membership Committee; and the LITA/ALCTS Technical Services Workstations Discussion Group/Interest Group. O&B recommended continuance of all groups with the exception of the Technical Services Workstations Discussion Group, citing low attendance and lack of relevancy.