ALCTS Committees Report from New Orleans

   

The reports below summarize the activities that took place during ALCTS committee group meetings held during the 2006 Annual Conference in New Orleans. Reports that were received by the editor as of August 1, 2006 are included in this summary. For information on committees not listed below, go to the ALCTS Organization menu and follow the links through to the appropriate section.

click to navigate through the reports

Division Groups

Council of Regional Groups

Cataloging & Classification

Collection Mgmt. & Development

Pres. and Reformatting

Serials Section

Budget & Finance

Education

International Relations

Leadership Development

LRTS Editorial Board

MARBI

Membership

O & B

Planning

Program

Publications

CRG Affiliate Relations

CRG Continuing Education Committee

Speakers Bureau

Acquisitions Section

Organization & Managment

Policy & Planning

Publications

Research & Statistics

Cataloging: Asian and African Materials

CC:DA

Cataloging of Children's Materials

Continuing Education Training Materials

Education, Training, and Recruitment for Cataloging

Policy and Planning

Research and Publications

Subject Analysis

Administration of Collection Development

Collection Development and Electronic Media

Education

Policy and Planning

Publications

Quantitative Measures for Collection Management

Books and Paper: Methods, Materials, Standards

Education

Management

Policy, Planning, and Research

Program Planning and Publications

Recording and Photographic Media: Methods, Materials, and Standards

Reformatting: Analog and Digital

Continuing Resources Cataloging

Education

Policy and Planning

Research and Publications

Serials Standards

Union List of Serials

Division Committees   

   Budget and Finance

The Budget and Finance Committee met twice in New Orleans. Three agenda items were paramount: a status update on the FY 2006 budget; a review of administrative cost projections for use in assessing the adequacy of dues revenue; and submission of the final FY 2007 budget to the ALCTS Board.

The committee reviewed the FY 06 budget data (through April) and noted the impact of ALA's charge-back of bank/credit-card fees (3 percent) on expenses. With the new emphasis on paying dues via credit card, this surcharge will need to be factored in to all future administrative cost projections. The continuing challenge of recovering costs for in-person continuing education workshops was also noted. Failure to recover these costs resulted in a negative balance for FY 05 and concern was expressed that the same is likely to happen for FY 06. In contrast, dues revenue is projected to cover FY 06 operating costs and LRTS subscription revenue is projected to keep up with expenses.

Members reviewed a projection of administrative costs through 2010, provided by Executive Director Charles Wilt. They adopted the projection template as the long-awaited mechanism for assessing the need for any dues increases. Wilt will provide an updated projection at the Midwinter meeting for that purpose.

Wilt discussed the FY 07 budget, noting some anomalies related to the need to track 50th Anniversary celebration projects. The Budget and Finance Committee, the 50th Anniversary Committee, and the Fund-Raising Committee all have a shared understanding that no operating funds will be used to fund special events associated with the 50th Anniversary celebration. These events will be covered by registrations and/or donations. The final FY 07 budget was approved for submission to the Board.

Committee members also discussed the financial challenges implicit in the new ALCTS strategic plan. ALCTS, as a membership organization, will need to develop creative strategies for enhancing revenue in order to fund our collective future.

Back to top

   Education

The ALCTS Education Committee met twice at the 2007 Annual Conference. The first meeting was held on June 24, 8-10 a.m. The Committee co-sponsored a program with the ALCTS Leadership Development Committee entitled "How to Build a Successful CE Course" on June 24, 10:30 a.m.-12 p.m. Speakers included Karen Letarte (ALCTS Education and North Carolina State Universities Libraries), Trisha Davis (The Ohio State University), Heather Dray (SOLINET) and Karen Wetzel (GWU).

In seeking increased synergy with other ALCTS groups, the committee will work with both the ALCTS Program Committee and the Publications Committee to add language to program and publication proposals seeking permission from authors and presenters to repurpose content of publications and programs for continuing education (CE).

An evaluation subcommittee (Steve Dalton, Sylvia Hall-Ellis and Lee Ann Lannom) has been charged with formalizing an assessment process for reviewing program, preconference, and discussion group content for possible development into CE offerings. The group will create an evaluation rubric to identify programs and preconferences for potential course development by Midwinter 2007.

The Fundamentals of... Web courses are progressing in all areas. The Fundamentals of Cataloging course developer is Sylvia Hall-Ellis and she is making good progress. Fundamentals of Collection Management: 2 potential course developers have been identified. Christa Easton is the course developer for the Fundamentals of Serials, and has completed the course outline.

Karen E. K. Brown and a co-developer are nearly finished with course development for the Fundamentals of Preservation. The course content and competencies are being reviewed by the PARS Education Committee. The Fundamentals of Technical Services Management course development is being shepherded by the Council of Regional Groups (CRG) (Linda Smith Griffin) and course developer Elaine Yontz is working on the course outline.

The committee will produce a "shepherding" tool by Midwinter 2007 to guide section education committees and potential content developers through the course development process and assist in formalizing this process across ALCTS.

The Section education committees are nearly finished reviewing core competencies and ALCTS Education will be gathering these to aid in comprehensive CE development across ALCTS, and also for inclusion in the Appendix of the ALCTS Educational Policy Statement. The Committee plans to send a draft revised version of the policy to the Board at Midwinter 2007 to finalize.

The Committee will evaluate the potential usefulness of the ALA Online Communities software to facilitate work between meetings.

Back to top

   International Relations

The Committee achieved all of its objectives for the meeting. The majority of the ALCTS IFLA representatives attended the meeting. Other American librarians who are members of IFLA Section Standing Committees related to collections and technical services (the "non-ALCTS" IFLA representatives) were invited to attend the meeting; several sent regrets, and none attended. The IFLA representatives described Sections' current work and program plans for the forthcoming IFLA conference in Seoul. The Committee and the ALCTS IFLA representatives discussed the process and imetable for nominating IFLA representatives described in the ALCTS Manual. They agreed that this important information was hard to find and suggested that it be highlighted in someway and/or provide a link from ALCTS IRC Home Page.

Wanda Dole discussed streamlining and publicizing the process for ALCTS nominations to IFLA Section Standing Committees and shared a "user-friendly" e-mail she sent to prospective ALCTS IFLA representatives. The next cycle starts in fall 2007.

The committee also reviewed the one-page document Dole prepared with directions for IFLA representatives to submit their IFLA conference reports. They agreed that it is important to remind representatives that reporting is both a responsibility and an obligation of an official representative.

The challenge of communication between ALCTS and non-ALCTS IFLA representatives, between the representatives and ALCTS and the IRC, with the greater library community, was discussed. David Miller raised the question, "What can we do to bring IFLA back to ALA?" Suggestions included a brochure on the work/goals of the IRC and ALCTS librarians engaged in international activities, a poster session, creation of a discussion group, collaboration with other groups such as the International Relations Round Table (IRRT). Dole will discuss these ideas when she reports to the ALCTS Board on Monday, June 26.

Paul Hover led the group through a discussion of ALA's International Objectives as articulated in the 2010 plan and identification of the areas towards which the ALCTS IRC will work.

Back to top

   Leadership Development

Trisha Davis, Heather Moulaison, and Karen Wetzel, all skilled continuing education (CE) practitioners, offered helpful insights and tips at the Leadership Development's Annual program, "ALCTS and Continuing Education: How to Build a Successful CE Course." Approaching CE from three perspectives, content, instruction, and technology, the program provided approximately forty attendees with an overview of the fundamentals of effective CE. Karen LeTarte, Chair of the ALCTS Education Committee, highlighted ALCTS' desire to respond to the educational needs of its membership through CE and other training that is timely, well-developed, and presented in fresh, creative ways.

At the ALCTS New Leaders Orientation Rosann Bazirjian, ALCTS President 2005/2006 and Bruce Johnson, ALCTS President-Elect, 2006/2007 greeted ALCTS' new committee chairs, members, section members-at-large, and secretaries and expressed their excitement about working together to address issues of importance to the ALCTS membership. In addition to remarks from Charles Wilt, ALCTS Executive Director, and Mary Beth Weber, ANO Editor, the Division Committee Chairs shared pertinent information about their committees and activities. The seventy-five attendees were reminded that their leadership is essential to fostering an environment that encourages broad participation and promotes ongoing and productive communication, both within and across the division's committees and groups.

With useful input and approval from the ALCTS Program Committee, Leadership Development is moving forward with its plans for a preconference at Annual 2007. "Managing the Multigenerational Workplace" will give participants an opportunity to take an in-depth look at the generational factors influencing libraries today and brainstorm solutions to real-life situations. With a mix of presentation, role-play, and scenario brainstorming, the preconference will generate practical techniques in an engaging format.

Back to top

   LRTS Editorial Board

The chair and book review editor summarized their reports (which were also distributed in print prior to the conference).

Angela Hanshaw of ALA Production Services summarized the process involved in bringing an issue to publication.

The committee discussed:

  • Concerns about authors simultaneously submitting the same paper to LRTS and another journal. A suggestion was made to report dates submitted/resubmitted/accepted with papers when they are published. The editor will consider this option.
  • Whether it is time to formally expand the scope of LRTS, e.g., explicitly state that scholarly communication is within scope, and to move beyond directly linking the scope statement to the sections in LRTS.
  • Continuing interest in distributing LRTS electronically in tandem with print. The committee agreed that work will occur between annual and midwinter to draft one or more recommendations on this topic for consideration by the ALCTS Board.
  • Concern about copyright agreements and the value of making a statement by offering a Creative Commons-type agreement. Another recommendation on this topic will be prepared for the ALCTS Board. Both this topic and the previous one will be considered in collaboration with the Publications Committee.

Christine Taylor reported on a new brochure to encourage advertising in LRTS, and the committee was asked to promote it to exhibitors.

Committee members reported on their personal efforts to identify and solicit submissions.

Back to top

   ALCTS/LITA/RUSA Machine-Readable Bibliographic Information (MARBI)

MARBI considered four proposals and discussed four reports:

  • Proposal 2006-6, Definition of Field 034 for Geographic Coordinates in the MARC 21 Authority Format, was approved with the following changes: subfield codes r, x, y, z and 2 will be added to both the Authority Format and the Bibliographic Format.
  • Proposal 2006-7, Definition of Subfield $u (URI) in Field 852 (Location) in the MARC 21 Bibliographic and Holdings Formats, was approved with a suggestion that the write-up make it clear that the URI is used to link to information about the repository identified in subfields $a and $b, not to information about the resource identified by the barcode that is recorded in $p.
  • Proposal 2006-8, Addition of Subfield $r in Field 865 to Accommodate Date of Issuance for Indexes, was approved but with a change in the subfield code; subfield $v will be used for this purpose, rather than $r. Also, conditional language in the definition, "when the date of coverage is recorded in subfields $i-$m," will be deleted.
  • Proposal 2006-9, Lossless Technique for Conversion of Unicode to MARC-8, was approved with some minor editorial changes.
  • Discussion Paper 2006-DP04, Data Elements Needed to Ascertain Copyright Facts; a new discussion paper to follow up on this one was requested; it was requested that the following issues be addressed in the new discussion paper:
    • should MARC 21 records be used for this information;
    • internationalization, including the question of whether there needs to be a technique for making the data jurisdiction-specific;
    • scope, including the question of whether this data is meant to apply only to archival and unpublished materials, or to published materials, as well;
    • how to date the information; whether such data needs to be collected at the holdings level or made institution-specific in some way;
    • whether authority records should contain copyright data;
    • whether this approach needs to or can address complex copyright situations in which various kinds of rights inhere in a particular work, and are held by different persons and bodies;
    • how we can clarify to users that we can only report copyright facts, but we cannot provide information on copyright status.
    It was also requested that a new discussion paper include usage examples.
  • Discussion Paper 2006-DP06, Defining Separate Subfields for Language Codes of Summaries/Abstracts and Subtitles/Captions in Field 041; the group would like to see a proposal come forward. There was a preference for the approach described in the third question, which was to redefine field 041 subfield $b as "Language code of summary or abstract" and to define a new subfield for "Language code of subtitle or caption," since the vast majority of records have used $b for summary/abstracts, and we could move subtitle/caption to a new subfield. Systems could change records and be fairly accurate by finding any VM usage (using leader/06) with 041 $b and moving data found there to the new subfield. There was less support for the approach described in the fourth question, which was to make field 041 subfield $b obsolete and define two new subfields in field 041.
  • Discussion Paper 2006-DP07, Recording Set Information for Multipart Cartographic Materials; the group would like to see this come back as a second follow-up discussion paper that focuses on the possibility of adding descriptive detail to the holdings record, including the addition of field 034. It was also suggested that the new discussion paper examine other types of materials in addition to cartographic materials to determine if there is a need for more descriptive detail in holdings records, including archival moving image materials, graphic and still image materials, collected musical sets, flashcard sets, etc.
  • Discussion Paper 2006-DP08, Techniques for Incorporation of Former Headings into MARC 21 Authority Records; the group would like to see this come back as a proposal, following the option in 2.4.2, using already defined authority format 4XX fields, but using position 2 in the $w subfield ("earlier form of heading") to contain code 'j' to signify that the 4XX contains an invalid heading form that should not be displayed to the public or used for machine processing. There was also a suggestion that position 3 in the $w subfield could be used to indicate whether or not the 4XX should be used for machine processing ("flipping"). It was also suggested that a $i subfield be used for a date of change in structured form and possibly controlled text about the nature of the change.

Back to top

   Membership

The committee discussed the following:

  • Outreach to library schools and other professional groups
  • Outreach to graduate school students at Annual 2007
  • ALCTS Booth update
  • Sage Support Staff Travel Grant report
  • Mentoring Program for 2007
  • Technical Services Fact Sheets

Back to top

   Organization and Bylaws

The ALCTS Organization and Bylaws Committee (O&B) completed reviews of the following ALCTS groups:

  • Medium Heads of Technical Services Discussion Group
  • ALCTS/LITA/RUSA Machine-Readable Bibliographic Information (MARBI) Committee (joint with LITA and RUSA)
  • Membership Committee
  • LITA/ALCTS Technical Services Workstations Discussion Group/Interest Group.

All the groups were recommended for approval, except for the Technical Services Workstations Discussion Group. O&B members noted that attendance at the discussion group's meetings has been low, and that the group was no longer relevant. O&B also approved the Acquisitions Section's request to change its charge to include the bibliographic control work that is involved in acquisitions work. The Board approved all recommendations.

The O&B Committee will work to place an amendment on the ALCTS ballot to remove ALCTS section names from the bylaws so that a section name change would not have to be approved through a membership vote. In the alternative, a statement would be placed in the bylaws indicating where section names can be found (e.g., ALA Handbook of Organization, ALCTS Web site).

Dale Swensen is the new O&B chair.

Back to top

   Planning

ALCTS Plan 2006-2011
The ALCTS Strategic Plan 2006-2011 was revised, and presented to and adopted by the ALCTS Board on Saturday, June 24. A preamble will be written to accompany the plan during its initial distribution. The Preamble will provide some context for the Plan. The Plan 2006-2011 will be widely distributed to the membership and will available on the ALCTS Web site.

Strategic and Tactical Plan Database
The Strategic and Tactical Plan database, which supported the ALCTS Plan 2001-2005, will be considered a closed database. Section representatives should extract data for archival purposes.

A new database will be developed that maps from the Plan 2006-2011. The Planning Committee identified the purpose, audience, characteristics and recommended elements for the new database. This information will be used to develop a new database in a new file structure. Once the database is developed, Sections and Committees will populate it with their tactical initiatives.

Online Community
The Planning Committee Online Community will be populated with documentation representing the development of the Plan 2006-2011, and will be utilized by the committee for various discussions.

   Program

The committee reviewed and approved proposals for fourteen programs and five preconferences for Annual Conference 2007. The group received an update on the ALCTS Symposium that will be offered at Midwinter 2007 as a kick-off event for our association's 50th anniversary. Committee members discussed ways to ensure that ALCTS forums are well planned and publicized. The possibility of section-level forums was explored. Section executive committees expressed interest in forums as follows:

  • AS: Midwinter and Annual, Sunday, 4-5:30 p.m.
  • CCS: Midwinter and Annual, Friday 4-5:30 p.m.
  • CMDS: To be determined
  • PARS: Midwinter and Annual, Saturday 4-5:30 p.m.
  • SS: To be determined. The establishment of the Serials Standards Forum may be adequate.

The committee will work with the ALCTS Office on planning procedures for forums. While forums will not require formal Program Committee review, basic planning and promotional information are essential for their success.

The committee's work supports all five of the ALCTS Strategic Plan goal areas. We are especially focused on goal area 3, "ALCTS provides and facilitates continuing education and fosters life-long learning."

Back to top

   Publications

The Committee was visited by Rosann Bazirjian, ALCTS President and Bruce Johnson, ALCTS President-Elect. Bazirjian announced that the ALCTS Board has passed the ALCTS Strategic Plan 2006-2011. The plan will be populated with tactical initiatives. A database to accomplish this task will be ready by Midwinter.

John Duke indicated that the Evolving Communications Technology Task Force document will be on the ALCTS Web site in a few weeks.

Bruce Johnson announced that the 50th Anniversary of both ALCTS and LRTS and associated activities will be taking place starting at ALA Midwinter 2006 and continuing through ALA Annual 2007. Information concerning these events is available at the ALCTS booth and will be distributed to the membership. It was noted that the ALCTS Board appreciates the hard work of the ALCTS Publications Committee.

RDA will be available to other publishers once it is completed.

Paper Series Update: Pamela Bluh

Pamela Bluh submitted her report prior to the meeting. She indicated that the ALCTS Board will appoint someone to replace her since she is the incoming ALCTS President-Elect. Bluh suggested that perhaps the Board might consider having more than one person involved in the editing/recruiting authors for the Paper Series as it was difficult for one person to accomplish all of the tasks associated with the Paper Series Editor position.

Library Materials Price Index (LMPI) Update: Janet Belanger Morrow

Janet Belanger Morrow indicated that the LMPI information is available the Bowker Annual for 2006. Information Today has agreed to make the LMPI information available in a downloadable format from their Web site with links back to ALCTS and ALA. Indexing is on track with the exception of British Periodicals and Latin American Periodicals.

ALCTS Newsletter Online (ANO) Update: Mary Beth Weber

Mary Beth indicated that three issues of ANO have come out since ALA Midwinter. She has contacted Olivia Williams regarding having a column for support staff issues. Mary Beth received a pretty good response to her call for reporters for ALA Annual. Articles need to be submitted by the first of the month for inclusion in ANO.

Section Liaison Updates: John McDonald, Richard Sapon-White, Douglas Litts, Jeanne Drewes, and Connie Foster

The section liaisons reported on the activities of their section publication committees. Spreadsheets showing the progress of each section's publications in the process were distributed and reviewed. A number of proposals and manuscripts will be coming to ALCTS Publications for review and approval prior to Midwinter and Annual 2007.

Online Communities Update

The committee discussed its experience to date with the Online Communities software. Terry Reese asked if ALA planned on adding RSS feeds to the interface to make it easier for committee members to keep connected to the activity on the site. Christine Taylor indicated that this feature is forthcoming. Narda Tafuri asked for volunteers from the committee to form a small Ad Hoc Subcommittee to create FAQs for the site. Douglas Litts and Richard Sapon-White volunteered. John Duke suggested that the new WiKi software that ALA purchased would be useful for working on creating the FAQs prior to their being posted on the Committee's Online Community site. Christine Taylor will send the software to the committee.

Education Retreat Competencies: Narda Tafuri

Narda Tafuri distributed copies of the list of competencies Current and Emerging/Future that were compiled at the Education Retreat held at ALA Midwinter in San Antonio in January 2006. It was suggested that this was preliminary information but that could be useful to those section publications committees that may be having difficulties coming up with topics for publications.

New Business

There was no new business.

Old Business

Narda Tafuri read a message from Kay Grandskog concerning the Foreign Book Dealers Directory, which has not yet been finished. Grandskog has indicated that there are some software changes that ALA will make and Christine Taylor will oversee it. The hope is that the directory will be completed by Midwinter.

Back to top

   Council of Regional Groups (CRG)

   CRG Affiliate Relations

The Affiliate Relations Committee discussed pairing members with those of the Continuing Education Committee to increase communication with CRG affiliate groups. There are plans to request upcoming program information from our affiliates to advertise their programs and activities in the ALCTS Newsletter Online (ANO).

The following goals were established:

  • Work closely with Continuing Education Committee members to keep affiliate groups updated on ALCTS, affiliate, and continuing education programs.
  • Work with ALCTS staff and the CRG secretary to update and maintain the affiliate roster on the ALA Web site in a more consistent and timely manner.

Back to top

   

CRG Continuing Education Committee

The committee discussed pairings with Affiliate Relations Committee members for communicating with regional groups regarding their programs, the commitment of the ALCTS Newsletter Online (ANO) to announce regional group programs, the ALCTS Web site, and the ALCTS Fundamentals of Management course which will be created by Elaine Yontz. Action items include: evaluation of and contact with the ALA Continuing Education Clearinghouse, sending suggestions of good technical services management resources to Elaine, and evaluating content on the ALCTS Web page concerning continuing education. Appointment of the new committee chair Coburn Johnson was announced.

Back to top

   

CRG Speakers' Bureau

Committee members had a wealth of good news to cheer about at this meeting. In February, a link to the Speakers' Bureau Directory of Speakers was made from the ALCTS Web page, which provided an enhanced presence for the Directory and CRG. A revamped Information Form, structured to facilitate geographic sorting of Directory entries and offering a listing of controlled vocabulary to allow topical sorting, was well on its way to completion. However, the most exciting of the Committee's accomplishments was the highly successful campaign to solicit candidates for the Directory through a letter-writing campaign to appropriate faculty members at accredited library and information science schools in the United States and Canada. This effort alone garnered seventeen names. Combined with names secured through personal and email contacts, the new additions to the Directory grew to an astounding twenty-one in number. This is a 73% increase over the number in the Directory last year at this time. Kudos are due to those members who worked hard to seek these fine candidates for the Directory.

Committee members discussed engaging in another letter-writing effort to solicit speakers for the Directory from appropriate staff in academic and research libraries in the coming year. Contacting the CRG regional affiliate groups more directly in search of candidates for the Directory and information about use of the Directory was another suggested project. Lists of experts maintained by other related organizations might also be mined for possible candidates.

Transferring Directory names from the current Word file format into a database will also be on the docket in the fall, and consideration was given to assigning one of the committee members to add and update Directory information in both the short and long term. ALA's new content management system appeared to afford easier maintenance of all of the Committee's Web offerings.

Lastly, the perennial concern of assessing the value of the Directory generated action items that will likely have committee members contacting ALCTS leaders, as well as those whose names are listed in the Directory. All in all, the Committee anticipates a busy year ahead, and one that will, hopefully, build on progress made this past year.

Back to top

   Acquisitions Section (AS)

   AS Organization and Management

The Committee chair reported that the preconference proposal "Workflow Analysis, Redesign, and Implementation," was approved by the ALCTS Program Committee, and is scheduled for Friday afternoon at Annual 2007. Speakers will include R2 Consulting, Catherine Tierney (Stanford University), Kim Armstrong (University of Illinois at Springfield), and Celeste Feather (The Ohio State University).

The Committee then focused discussion around content and logistical issues related to the preconference, including the formal subtitle of the preconference and the question of stipends for speakers, which will be clarified with the ALCTS Office. Potential nominal co-sponsors for the preconference include the Serials Section, LITA, CMDS and ACRL. It was agreed that publicity for the preconference would commence in early December.

The Committee's activities contributed to the achievement of the following ALCTS Strategic Plan goals and objectives: Goal 1 (providing leadership in the management of information), Objectives 1, 2, and 3; Goal 2 (defining best practices), Objectives 1, 2, and 3; Goal 3 (providing continuing education), Objectives 3, 4, and 5; Goal 4 (collaborating with organizations), Objectives 1, 2, and 5; and Goal 5 (is a vibrant membership organization), Objectives 1, 3, and 4.

Back to top

   AS Policy and Planning

The Policy and Planning Committee did not meet.

Back to top

   AS Publications

Minutes of the Midwinter 2006 meeting were approved with a correction: Michelle Sitko was absent (excused).

The Committee heard reports on Current Guides:

  • Janet Belanger-Morrow reported on The Guide to Performance Evaluation of Library Vendors by Stephen Bosch
  • Marsha Clark reported on The Guide to Writing RFPs for Acquisitions by Frances Wilkinson. A proposal on the guide was received from Frances Wilkinson and Linda Lewis. It is anticipated that the completed manuscript will available by ALA Annual 2007. The proposal will be accepted as written. Clark will report the results back to the authors. Pam Rebarcak will send the proposal to AS Executive Committee.
  • John McDonald reported on The Guide to Credit Card Purchasing by Narda Tafuri and Nancy Gibbs. The manuscript is on schedule. McDonald will check on status of Proposal with AS Exec (they should have approved it last conference).
  • Karen Ramsay reported on The Guide to Change Management by Jack Montgomery. The author will finish the manuscript by end of 2006.
  • Christine Taylor reported on The Guide to Collecting, Analyzing and Presenting Acquisitions Data. John McDonald volunteered to author it.
  • Michelle Sitko reported on The Guide to Virtual Approval Plan. Sitko is still looking for an author but has some interesting names and will start soliciting an author soon. Julia Gammon is a proposed author and has tentatively accepted.
  • Pam Rebarcak reported for Elizabeth Lorenzen on The Guide to Acquiring Audio-Visual Materials by Gary Handman. Lorenzen has heard from Gary Handman and he accepted as an author.
  • Pam Rebarcak reported that there is no author yet for The Institutional Repository and the Acquisitions Librarian. John McDonald will ask CMDS about their program on the collections role in institutional repositories. Rebarcak will continue to search for authors.
  • Pam Rebarcak reported that Lisa German volunteered to write The Guide to Good Business Practices. Rebarcak will send German the article that that inspired the idea for the guide.
  • Kay Granskog reported that content still being added to the Foreign Book Dealers Directories database.

Other business:

  • Online Community - John McDonald will add some content and notify the committee.
  • Publishing process - John McDonald reported that Pam Rebarcak will draft bullet points for the process for what each shepard needs to do to during the process.
  • A call for authors is not necessary at this time.
  • The Survey of the AS has been tabled.

Brainstorming:
Rebarcak proposed a Guide to Acquiring and Managing Ebook Collections. Trisha Davis proposed a Guide to Licensing Electronic Publications. Rebarcak proposed a Guide to Managing an ERM.

Web page revisions:
Membership information needs to be reconciled with ALA's membership database to enable corrections to rosters. Christine Taylor will add minutes and other items to the public space for the committee, but eventually a committee member should be responsible for updating the Web page (after the new ALA CMS is released).

Christine Taylor will explain the production process for publications to illustrate the sheparding process for the committee members. The production process is easy.

AS Foreign Book Dealers Directories Series Subcommittee

The FBDDS Subcommittee did not meet at the Annual Conference. A report was submitted to the Publications Committee via email regarding progress toward completion of the electronic version of the Directory. Two thirds of the data has been input, and questions/corrections related to the public display for this product have been sent to Christine Taylor.

Back to top

   AS Research and Statistics

The committee worked on fleshing out a proposal for the Annual Meeting in 2007. It will be part 3 of the "Why Can't Johnnie and Jane Get Published" series. The program will be titled "Why Can't Johnnie and Jane Get Published: Part 3, Survey Methodology." The program will consist of two segments: 1. Building the survey, designing your instrument, tools to collect data, statistical analysis, etc.; and 2. A panel of editors will reveal what they look for when quantitative articles are submitted. It will be interactive with the audience breaking up into smaller groups to create a mock research survey. In the coming months, committee members will identify prospective speakers with expertise in quantitative research.

A short abstract for the program follows: In Part 3 of this popular series which informs librarians how to get published, Johnnie and Jane (librarians) learn how to introduce the basics of survey methodology into their research. Led by a panel of experts, this program will provide an overview of the basic steps of survey research, show how to incorporate sampling into a library environment, demonstrate different types of sampling methods, present ways to analyze survey data, and, most importantly, reveal how to get the research findings published in a refereed journal. The panel will include experts of survey methodology, editors of serials devoted to librarianship, and well-known authors who have incorporated survey research into their published articles. As in past sessions, participants will have the opportunity to interact with the panel of experts and other members of the audience through group discussions, presentation of group discussions to the audience, and question and answer sessions.

The objectives of the program are: 1. To enable librarians new to the field and/or librarians desiring to publish to incorporate survey methodology into their research and how to utilize many of these research methods in a library environment, 2. participants will learn the right steps from editors of prominent serials for articles submitted using survey and sampling research, and proper steps to ensure that data is valid and can stand up to peer-review scrutiny, and 3. the audience will learn tips and advice from fellow librarians about how they successfully incorporated basic research methods and particularly survey research into their articles.

The committee determined that the targeted audience is academic librarians new to the profession, librarians in the beginning stages of learning to conduct research and get it into article form, and individuals who want to learn how to do survey and sampling methodology in a library. Possible speakers and groups leaders include Trisha Davis (facilitator), Karla Hahn (ARL), Carol Tenopir (School of Information Sciences, College of Communication and Information, University of Tennessee); editors Connie Foster (Serials Review), Peggy Johnson (LRTS), David Kohl (Journal of Academic Librarianship) and Jim Mouw (LCTS). Members of the committee will contact possible speakers and panel members after ALA. The committee will have the details worked out by ALA Midwinter.

The chair met with the ALCTS Program Committee on June 27, and the program proposal was well received. The Committee is now waiting notification that the program was accepted for ALA Annual 2007.

Lastly, the committee will work at ALA Midwinter (2007) to plan a smaller program for ALA Annual 2008.

Back to top

   

Cataloging and Classification Section (CCS)

   

CCS Cataloging: Asian and African Materials

The minutes of the January 22, 2006, meeting in San Antonio and the agenda were approved without change.

RDA review process:
Keiko Suzuki, CC:AAM liaison to CC:DA, reported on their meetings, particularly on the RDA review process, which is ongoing. At the end of her report there was a brief discussion of dissension within CC:DA as regards RDA. The question was raised about the level of opposition within CC:DA to the new cataloging code. Suzuki agreed that there was dissension, but that it was not about the fundamental project of RDA but rather about some details. This level of criticism was likely normal for a document at this stage of development.

Hideyuki Morimoto, the Chair of the CC:AAM Task Force on RDA, reported on the review of the draft of chapters 1-5, part 1, of RDA. He also urged members of the Task Force to complete their review of chapters 6-7, setting a due date of July 21. This portion of the RDA draft deals with access points for persons, corporate bodies, and families. Since some cultures in our area studies do not follow Western names in heading formulation, it was hoped that there could be a more satisfactory system of heading formulation for these cultures.

Library of Congress report:
Philip Melzer of LC could not attend the meeting, and forwarded his report. The report included an explanation of the LC decision to discontinue series tracings in new bibliographic records and halt the maintenance and creation of series authority records. CC:AAM members had previously been asked to consider the impact of this decision on our studies areas and bring their concerns to a discussion of the issue. The members present did not have any objections to the policy change for series and felt that this change would not affect access to our materials.

Program for Cooperative Cataloging program report:
The CC:AAM Program entitled "Do you PCC? What the Program for Cooperative Cataloging can do for You" took place on Saturday, June 24, 8-10 a.m. The panelists discussed their experience with CONSER (Steve Shadle), BIBCO (Andrea Stamm), NACO (Joyce Bell), and SACO (James Lin) and Ana Cristán served as the moderator. There followed a lively discussion, which clarified points that were raised by the audience. There seemed to be a mixture of persons with experience in PCC and others interested in launching PCC activity in their libraries. There were about thirty-five people in attendance.

Suggestions for future CC:AAM programs.
There was a spontaneous interest in the transition to traditional scripts of Asian/North African languages in our bibliographic systems and utilities. LC will soon issue a proposal for dealing with traditional scripts in authority records, and this is an important focus of this interest. CC:AAM agreed to form an interest group to follow the topic. At a subsequent meeting, this interest group would be re-formulated as a program sub-committee. The group foresees the presentation of a program in 2008.

Task Force on Non-English Access:
There has been a long set of discussions on the draft text of the Task Force, which is still in progress. It is hoped that the draft text will soon be finalized. The final draft will be forwarded to CC:AAM members.

Report of CCS Executive meeting:
The committee chair attended the CCS Executive meeting on Friday, June 23, where he reported on the upcoming CC:AAM program on PCC. The remainder of the meeting was largely devoted to current and upcoming programs and preconference programs. These were briefly discussed to give members an idea of the types of programs CCS is interested in.

CC:AAM meeting:
When CC:AAM moved to Sunday afternoon at 1:30, and became a two-hour meeting a year ago, it was agreed that this arrangement would be discussed in a year. There was general acceptance with the time and length of the meeting so this will be continued into the indefinite future.

Reports:
Reports of area studies and other groups were accepted in an electronic form.

Back to top

   

CCS Cataloging: Description and Access

On Friday, June 23, there was a discussion of general comments on the draft of chapters 6 and 7 of part A of RDA, which was released on June 20, 2006, by the Joint Steering Committee (JSC). Since the Forum on Series Authority Records was held at 4 p.m. in the Morial Convention Center and the CC:DA meetings were held in the Marriott New Orleans, the CC:DA meeting ended earlier than the anticipated at 5 p.m., since many CC:DA members and other persons attending the CC:DA meeting wanted to attend the Forum.

The main agenda item at the Saturday, June 24 meeting (until about 3:00 p.m.) was the report by ALA Representative to the JSC, Jennifer Bowen, who reported on the April JSC meeting. Ms. Bowen was a panel member at the ALCTS RDA Update.

The main agenda item at the Monday, June 26 meeting was further discussion on the draft of chapters 6 and 7 of Part A of RDA. The committee members concentrated on detailed comments on the draft of Chapter 6 and general comments on the draft of Chapter 7. For links to the documents that were discussed, please see the agenda for the meetings.

Back to top

   

CCS Cataloging of Children's Materials

The minutes of the January 22, 2006 meeting in San Antonio, and the agenda were approved without change.

Cataloging Correctly for Kids, 4th edition was published in fall 2005. Resources for Children's Catalogers, a Web publication, is now available.

The preconference, "Cataloging Correctly for Kids Begin with the Right Resources: Tools of our Trade" was successfully presented on Friday, June 23.

The program proposal for the 2007 Annual Conference is "Cataloging Correctly for Kids: Cataloging Correctly for Kids: AV, E-Books, and More!"

A possible program at the American Association of School Librarians (AASL) Conference in Reno, Nevada, October 2007, was discussed.

Committee members were encouraged to participate in the LC CIP survey, look at the LC CIP School Librarians Survey (conducted by Marilyn McCroskey on behalf of LC), and the Kent State University Use of Subject Authority Data Survey (from Cynthia Whitacre).

Committee appointments: Nanette Wargo Donohue has resigned; Vicki Fierson-Adams has reached her term limit, Jan Militello is the new voting member, and Sandra Macke is the new intern.

Back to top

   

PCC/CCS Continuing Education Training Materials

Observers: Michael Colby (UC-Davis), Steve Shadle (U. Washington), Martin Kurth (Cornell), Luiz Mendes (UCLA)

Agenda item 1: There was a report on updating the "Basic LCSH and Name Title" workshop materials. Cristán reported that the updated workshop materials for "Basic Subject Cataloging using LCSH" are posted to the Trainers Web site, and are now available from CDS. She thanked the Task Group that included Michael Colby (chair), Steve Shadle, and Lynn El-Hoshy (LC). Since there had been a call for additional updating of the materials to add newer "zippier" examples and replacements of OCLC screen shots, etc., a discussion ensued as to whether to reappoint the Task Group or form a new one. A new group will be formed, and a call for volunteers will be issued to the CCT-Trainers list after the conference.

Cristán also reported that the updated workshop materials for the "Basic Creation of Name Title Authorities" had also been turned over to CDS and will be posted after ALA.

Action item: The chair will issue a call on the trainers list for volunteers for Phase II of updating the "Basic LCSH" workshop materials with newer/fresher/zippier examples as well as replacing outdated screen shots, etc.

Agenda item 2: Need to update the Rules and Tools workshop materials. Prior to ALA Annual, Martin Kurth and Steve Shadle brought the need to update the workshop materials for the Rules and Tools course to the attention of the editorial group, Catalogers Learning Workshop (CLW) at LC. Discussion ensued on how this might be accomplished as the Rules and Tools, has the most complete list of errata, etc. Steve Shadle volunteered to work with whatever new task group was formed to provide review and assure that the new task group had a complete set of corrections needed. A call for volunteers to serve on the task group will be sent on the CCT Trainers list.

ACTION item: The chair will issue a call for volunteers for updating the "Rules and Tools" workshop materials with corrections, replacements and/or addition of new material to include MARC 21code "i" for integrating resources and other new bibliographic developments, etc. on the CCT-Trainers list.

Agenda item 3: Succession planning (Cristán to rotate off, process for selection of new chair, etc.). Several questions resulted from the discussion on how to select a new chair: 1) How long do members serve on the committee? Does this include the time as Chair, or is that time additional? Should the Chair rotate between PCC and CCS members or does it matter given that in most cases individuals are members of both organizations? Who decides?

Action item: The chair will investigate and ascertain information on the length of membership, rotation between organizations, and communicate with David Miller for a final decision on selection of a new Chair. Subsequent to that meeting Cynthia Whitacre sent this response:

  1. A member is appointed for two years and may be reappointed for two years.
  2. A chair appointment is for one year and may be renewed. The chair is a member while serving as chair, so the maximum length of time someone can serve as chair is four years (if he comes in as chair). A chair is typically appointed from within the membership after serving on the committee.
  3. Rotation of chair between PCC and CCS- Since this is a new committee, this is just now coming up as an issue. David Miller (Chair, CCS) and Caroline Miller (Chair, PCC-SCT) will work this out.

Agenda item 4: Additional items/new business. No new business was introduced and the meeting adjourned.

Back to top

   

CCS Education, Training, and Recruitment for Cataloging

The article "Growing Our Own" (about the cataloging mentoring program) was accepted for publication in Cataloging and Classification Quarterly.

The Web resource "Careers in Cataloging and Metadata Creation" was reviewed by the ALCTS Publications Committee and returned to CETRC for further revision. A new task group will be established to undertake the revision.

Angela Kinney discussed the CETRC-sponsored preconference that will be presented before the 2007 Annual conference, entitled "What They Don't Teach You in Library School." An online community has been established for the Mentoring Subcommittee, and it is hoped that the database will soon be available, and that a new class of mentors and mentees can be recruited by mid-July. The Continuing Education Subcommittee will soon distribute an online survey assessing continuing education needs of practicing catalogers.

Back to top

   

CCS Policy and Planning

CCS Policy and Planning Committee completed the review of three discussion groups: Cataloging and Classification Research, Catalog Management, and Map Cataloging. The Map Cataloging Discussion Group requested a change of name and charge to reflect a broader range of formats and materials. The new name will be the Cartographic Resources Cataloging Discussion Group and all instances of the term "map cataloging" in the charge will be changed to "cartographic resources." PPC approved this change and recommended its approval to CCS Executive and MAGERT.

In other discussions, PPC considered the overlap of time slots and topic coverage of the CCS discussion groups and will provide feedback on these issues as part of the review process. The following committees and discussion groups will be up for review next year: the Policy and Planning Committee, the Research and Publications Committee, the Heads of Cataloging Discussion Group, the Copy Cataloging Discussion Group, and the Cataloging Norms Discussion Group.

With the adoption of a new ALCTS Strategic Plan, the current Strategic and Tactical Planning database is being retired. Policy and Planning will continue to monitor and update CCS initiatives in a separate document until the new planning structure is in place.

Back to top

   

CCS Research and Publications

Magda El-Sherbini opened the meeting and announced that Aiping Chen-Gaffey will serve as chair following Annual. Susan Hayes resigned from the committee for family reasons. Minutes from Midwinter were approved with minor corrections. Alex Thurman will post the corrected minutes to the Web site.

Reports:

Richard Sapon-White attended the CCS Cataloging and Classification Research Discussion Group meeting for El-Sherbini. The meeting focused on how research happens and the related processes.

El-Sherbini was unable to attend the Friday CCS Executive Committee meeting, but will attend the Tuesday meeting.

Status report on reviewing CCS List of Publications for Review

El-Sherbini discussed the future of the reviewing and that the present is missing the actual updating.

Update on Cataloging of Children's Materials Committee Web publication

Alex Thurman received Web training and posted the finished document.

Essays/Topics update

Meg Mering and Michelle Turvey reported that no progress had been made to date on the metadata essay. Mering is rotating off the committee. Turvey agreed to continue with the essay and limit citations to 2005. Once written, the draft will be sent to RPC members for input.

El-Sherbini suggested a possible new topic on the future of cataloging. New committee members might be interested in authoring this essay.

Essays/Future

The group discussed why the committee writes essays. Should the committee continue to write and review the essays? What purpose do the essays serve? Mering and Turvey expressed concerns that the essays serve little purpose in the current environment. Windy Lundy noted that essays are still valid, but need a more prominent place on the ALCTS CCS site and more publicity. Mering inquired if other ALCTS sections write similar essays. El-Sherbini explained the RPC essays are specific. Sapon-White said that while LRTS is summarizing recent research, the essays written by the RPC consider recent research for future directions. The essays provide an unrefereed publication for those seeking tenure. El-Sherbini reminded the group the essays are short (two-three pages total), review only the current literature with the text highlighting the most significant pieces, and contain a more extensive bibliography.

After much discussion, the committee agreed to continue with the essays. It was suggested that the essays could be written by Midwinter for the most recent calendar year.

Christine Taylor suggested creating some publicity for the essays (e.g., bookmark with their URL, etc.). El-Sherbini will address the pros and cons of writing the essays with the CCS Executive Committee, and will provide statistics on the number of users who used these essays. Taylor provided El-Sherbini with the statistics prior to her meeting with the Executive Committee.

Discussion of RPC program

The RPC is co-sponsoring the Acquisitions Section's Program "Why Can't Johnnie and Jane Get Published: Part 3, Incorporating Survey Methods into One's Research." The program will be presented at the ALA Annual 2007. The new chair will follow up on the development of the program.

Other topics

Taylor suggested postponing the discussion of ALCTS orphan publications until Midwinter.

El-Sherbini expressed concern over not having a notebook or other transitional materials to pass on to the incoming chair. When she began as chair, no guidelines beyond the charge were provided. Taylor suggested using the ALA online community server. Sapon-White noted that the online community allows for the posting and archiving of materials.

A future issue that needs to be addressed is retired publications. Suggestions are made but actions are not being taken.

Back to top

   

CCS Subject Analysis

Actions taken:

  1. Voted to approve the final report of the SAC Subcommittee on Semantic Interoperability.
  2. Voted to recommend to the CCS Executive Committee that the above report be published in an appropriate form by ALCTS.
  3. Disbanded the SAC Subcommittee on Semantic Interoperability with the thanks of SAC.

Representatives, liaisons and committee chairs presented reports on the activities of the groups they represent and answered questions from SAC members and audience members.

The last hour of the Sunday meeting was used for the SACO-At-Large meeting. This was done to avoid a scheduling conflict since most people in the audience wished to attend both meetings. The SACO-At-Large meeting was chaired by John Mitchell, the SACO Coordinator. The highlight of the meeting was a presentation by Mary Charles Lasiter (Vanderbilt University) entitled: "How thesauri and subject heading lists drive the development of LCSH: an example using MeSH."

Volunteers were recruited at the Monday meeting to form a new subcommittee to plan a program for Annual 2007 on the approaches libraries and professional societies are taking to deal with form/genre headings. SAC anticipates that a second subcommittee on form/genre headings will be formed at some point in the future when the Library of Congress (LC) begins its transition to coding headings in LCSH as 155s. This subcommittee would deal with questions such as the priorities for converting existing form/genre headings from 150 to 155, examining the overlap between LCSH and GSAFD and resolving the differences, and planning and presenting educational forums.

Volunteers were also recruited for a second subcommittee to examine LCSH in terms of strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats. The subcommittee would make recommendations, particularly in the area of making LCSH more cost efficient.

Shelby Harken, chair of the SAC Subcommittee on Semantic Interoperability, presented the Subcommittee's final report to SAC, and SAC voted to recommend to CCS that the report be published in an appropriate format. The Subcommittee was disbanded with the heartfelt thanks of SAC for all the time and hard work that went into the production of the report.

SAC sponsored a program titled "FAST: A New System of Subject Access for Cataloging and Metadata," which was attended by over 300 people. The program included presentations by Ed O'Neill, Lois Mai Chan, Qiang Jin, Arlene Taylor and Shannon Hoffman which dealt with the structure of FAST, the work of the SAC Subcommittee on FAST in evaluating the system, a comparison of keyword searching in FAST and Library of Congress Subject Headings, and a review of some projects using FAST. A question and answer session followed the program.

Qiang Jin, the chair of the SAC Subcommittee on FAST, gave a report on the progress of the Subcommittee at the Monday SAC meeting, and Ed O'Neill, the FAST project director at OCLC, gave an update on the project.

SAC co-sponsored a program with the Program for Cooperative Cataloging (PCC) on Library of Congress Classification Training Materials that the two groups are developing jointly. The program consisted of a preview of one module of the course, the Elements of LC Call Numbers, presented by Lori Robare, University of Oregon. The audience included catalogers with experience levels ranging from beginner to experienced. In a question and answer session following the presentation, audience members expressed generally favorable reactions and made some suggestions for inclusion in the materials as a whole.

Progress was made toward achievement of ALCTS Strategic Plan objectives:

  • 3.3.261 Publish Spanish-speaking User and Subject Analysis Program Papers: Publication is anticipated for August 2006.
  • 3.3.283 Present LCC Training Materials Program: Completed.
  • 3.3? Present FAST Program: Completed.

Back to top

   

Collection Management and Development Section (CMDS)

   

CMDS Administration of Collection Development

The presenters of the "Use Measures for Electronic Sources/State of Standards" program held at ALA Annual (6/27/05) will be solicited to verify if they created a bibliography for their program. It is possible that the bibliography may be archived on the CMDS or RUSA Web site. The issue of whether past programs archived by ALCTS/CMDS was raised. ALCTS Executive Director Charles Wilt previously suggested that CMDS might be able to get space for working papers.

Draft Tool Kit for New Collection Managers/Subject Selectors
Chair Sally Willson Weimer asked the committee how their sections of the project were progressing. John Vickery distributed his section on Budgeting and Allocation, and Brian Quinn shared his section on Selection. Linda Phillips has written a chapter on introductory collection development for Reeta Sinha and Cory Tucker's new book that is an introduction to librarianship for new librarians to be published by Scarecrow Press. Linda's chapter could potentially be adapted for committee purposes. Willson Weimer requested that everyone working on the tool kit send their sections to the list. She asked how far back coverage should extend. Susanne Clement, who was a guest at Midwinter, also volunteered to work on a section. Brian Quinn asked to clarify the focus of the project. He suggested that it is not so much a "draft tool kit for new collection managers," as a "tool kit for administration of collection development." Committee members agreed. Kay Mouyal asked if the scope should be limited to academic libraries. Since most of the literature on administration of collection development has been written by academic librarians, the project will be geared toward academic librarians by its nature. Willson Weimer suggested that the CMDS Web site could possibly be used to host the project, or she might ask her Web development colleagues at UC Santa Barbara to host it. A brief introduction can be written after all the sections are completed and collected. Those contributing to the project were asked to complete their sections by October 1. The goal is to complete the tool kit by Midwinter 2007 meetings in Seattle.

Back to top

   

CMDS Collection Development and Electronic Media

Those present discussed a draft program proposal for Annual Conference 2007 in Washington, D.C. The planned topic of the program is institutional repositories, with a strong focus on collections issues. The proposal was heartily endorsed by all present, and the chair was directed to submit the proposal to the CMDS Executive Committee and to the ALCTS Program Committee for final approval.

The proposal received the endorsement of the CMDS Executive Committee and was submitted to ALCTS Program Committee for their consideration. Basic information about the draft proposal as submitted:

Title: Collecting for institutional repositories: All the news that is fit to keep
Description: So you have an institutional repository (IR)? Chances are your administration is excited; the publicity, marketing and development opportunities are apparent. But what should be deposited in an IR? Who should be soliciting and submitting items? How will you address issues of copyright and digital rights management? At this panel presentation discussion, you will hear from folks who have tackled these issues as they develop and evolve their collection policies and procedures for IR management.

Back to top

   

CMDS Education

The committee spent the majority of the first hour reviewing the draft list of core competencies in order to edit the document. The group collectively agreed the items in the draft were core competencies for collection development librarians. Added to the list of competencies is the knowledge of public services operations in libraries. It was further agreed that "Fund Management" could be divided into two levels, spending individual material funds and managing and allocating institutional material budgets.

The next step is to submit this document to the ALCTS Education Committee. The ALCTS Education Committee will be compiling all the divisional core competencies to add to a new revised Education Policy statement.

Members met with the Collection Assessment Committee during the second hour of the meeting to finalize details for the afternoon program, "Collection Assessment: Best Practices for the 21st Century."

   

CMDS Policy and Planning

Ven Basco, CMDS representative to ALCTS Planning, announced to the group that ALCTS Planning has submitted to the ALCTS Board the proposed 2006-2011 Strategic Plan for their approval. The committee also discussed whether they should ask all the other CMDS sections to update the Tactical Plan database or not since the database will no longer be active. The committee only agreed on printing and keeping copies of the work provide by Policy and Planning.

Back to top

   

CMDS Publications

The Position of Series Editor for the Sudden Selector Series was created by Committee. The outgoing chair will be appointed by the Series Editor. The Editor will guide the authors through the approval process and assist with proofing, editing, advertising, and design. The Series will be published by ALCTS.

Status of approved Sudden Selector Series guides was reviewed. The business guide manuscript was approved and hopefully slated for publication by Midwinter Conference 2007. The children's literature guide delayed until end of summer, 2006. An introduction and three chapters to the Art guide were submitted to Committee for review. Chapters for the Chemistry guide are also to be submitted for review. The three other guides are still on schedule (Communications, History, and Music).

New subjects for additional Sudden Selector guides were discussed and the committee will begin to search for authors.

Past CMDS publications should be considered for revision. Per the previous meeting, one guide (The Guide for Writing a Collection Development Manual) may be combined with another past CMDS publication and will be updated. The Guide to the Evaluation of Library Collections will be updated and a call for authors will be forthcoming. A third guide (The Guide to Budget Allocation for Information Resources) will be further reviewed in order to determine if it has already been updated, but under a different title.

The Committee will suggest that its Web site should include information on how to propose a publication to the committee. The Sudden Selector series should also be featured for both soliciting authors and subjects as well as publicizing guides as they are published. Supplemental bibliographies for the guides could also be added to the site.

Back to top

   

CMDS Quantitative Measures for Collection Management

The Quantitative Measures Committee met for the last time using its current name. Effective July 1, the committee's name will be Collection Assessment, reflecting more accurately the scope and charge of the committee. The CMDS Board approved the new name and charge in the spring of 2006. Linda Phillips joined members briefly to discuss the roster for 2006/2007: Bonnie L. Tijerina is the incoming chair, Reeta Sinha will replace Ann-Marie Breaux, Nicole Abbott and Dennis Lambert will cycle off, Merry Burlingham will continue on the committee, and three new members will join.

In other business, members agreed that the Collection Assessment program at Annual 2006 should be posted as an ALCTS Webinar per Julie Reese's request. Members discussed future programs and activities. It was agreed that online courses on e-resources collection assessment and "Fundamental of Collection Assessment" should be the committee's priorities as they may be more cost-effective than a preconference or another program.

The committee met jointly for an hour with the CMDS Education Committee to discuss last-minute details for that afternoon's ALCTS program "Collection Assessment: Best Practices for the 21st Century." Program speakers were invited to attend also but most could not due to other commitments.

Back to top

   

Preservation and Reformatting Section (PARS)

   

PARS Books and Paper: Methods, Materials, Standards

The upcoming books on the Library Binding Institute's Guide to Library Binding Standard, and Teper's Library Binding: A Sourcebook were discussed. The binding preconference and ways to continue the discussion and reach to the actual decision makers were also discussed. The lab design bibliography is on the COOL Web site.

The committee also discussed topics for future programs and brainstormed ideas:

  • Surveys - How to use them to plan for your collections
  • Print on demand
  • High-density storage (this has potential for cooperation with LAMA's storage group).

Back to top

   

PARS Education

The PARS Education Committee meeting focused on two major projects. After performing the usual meeting tasks and providing oversight of the Preservation, Instruction, Education and Outreach Discussion Group, the ALCTS Fundamentals of Preservation Course, and the 2007 Preservation Film Festival, the remainder of the meeting was devoted to the online version of the Preservation Education Directory and the ALCTS Core Competencies document.

The online version of the Preservation Education Directory requires extensive updating. Before the meeting, four members of the committee each reviewed a section and all discovered that much of the directory no longer functions as it should. The necessary changes are so extensive that the committee decided to refer the directory to the Program Planning and Publications Committee as a new publication.

The current version of the Core Competencies document is an amalgam of two documents, one prepared to be included in the ALCTS Education Policy and the other prepared at the ALCTS Education Summit at Midwinter 2006. The Committee spent considerable time discussing the wording, but could not finish reviewing the entire document during the meeting. The members of the Committee should conclude work on the document and forward it to the PARS Executive Committee for approval, before sending it to the ALCTS Education Committee.

There were no action items for the PARS Executive Committee. There are two outstanding action items from Midwinter 2006 (a review of the Committee charge, and a new members' orientation).

Back to top

   

PARS Management

The meeting was unexpectedly cancelled during the conference, and no report was submitted.

Back to top

   

PARS Policy, Planning, and Research

There has been confusion regarding who actually serves on this committee. Since there was not a quorum, no official business could take place. The group had been in a holding pattern until the ALCTS Strategic Plan was completed. Now that the Strategic Plan has been finalized, the committee will begin working with the various PARS committee to develop objectives and strategic initiatives from our section for the Strategic Plan.

Back to top

   

PARS Program Planning and Publications

As people rotate off of this committee, a suggestion was made to encourage internships for new PARS members as a good way to "get their feet wet." Each committee can have up to two interns.

2006 Programs Completed:

  • Saving Sound- Seventy-five attended
  • Mold and Its Effects- Sixty attended
  • Binding Preconference- Twenty-three attended

2007 Programs:

  • Setting the Stage for Digital Reformatting (Karen Brown and Susan Koutsky)
  • Saving Sound in Small Audio Collections: Reformatting (Tom Clareson)
  • Preservation Film Festival (Victoria Heiduschke)

2008 Program planning:

  • Demystifying OAI (Management Committee)
  • Family Treasures/Memories (Management Committee)
  • DAMIT - "Digital asset management" (Tom Clareson)

Publications:

  • The Preservation Manager's Guide to Cost Analysis is selling well.
  • PARS members Andrea Rolich and Becky Ryder are working on publications with the Serials Section.
  • The list of unclaimed and outdated preservation titles needs attention from the committee. The ALA publications site does not currently link to free online publications ( Preservation Education Directory, Ergonomics).
  • Bound Right: A Librarian's Guide to Managing Commercial Binding Activities is in hand and will be reviewed by the committee.
  • The Guide to the Library Binding Standard is posted in draft form on http://www.lbibinders.org/. The guide will be available for free as PDF online in addition to being published by ALCTS. The guide should be out by Midwinter 2007.
  • The Preservation Education Directory is ready for revision and has been sent to the Education Committee for review and revision.
  • When your Library is a Crime Scene - The Management Committee has Chris Coleman's notes on the topic, and is searching for an author.
  • Guidelines for Digitizing - This is a suggested publication that is being considered.
  • Saving Sound - This will be a publication growing out of the 3 part program series that will be completed in 2007.

Back to top

   

PARS Recording and Photographic Media: Methods, Materials, and Standards

The PARS Recording Media Committee met to discuss its continuing series of ALA Annual Conference Programs, a planned Web publication resulting from the programs, and future work for the Committee. The group evaluated the "Saving Sound 2" program held at the Annual Conference on June 25, and confirmed speaker plans for the third and final program to be held at Annual 2007.

Back to top

   

PARS Reformatting: Analog and Digital

Minutes from Midwinter 2006 were approved. Since half of membership was absent, discussion was brief. Discussion focused on upcoming 2007 program ("Setting the stage for digital reformatting") chaired by Susan Koutsky. There was also a brief update on recent Association and Image Management (IIM) microfilm and digital activities.

Back to top

   

Serials Section (SS)

   

SS Continuing Resources Cataloging

There were approximately ninety people at the CRCC Update Forum, which was less than normal but that was probably more a reflection of the number of people who attended the conference than anything else.

Les Hawkins, CONSER Coordinator, gave a CONSER report and Regina Reynolds, Director of the National Serials Data Program, gave the LC/ISSN/NSDP report. In addition, Kevin Randall, who is the Serials Section liaison to CC:DA gave a report on the CRCC RDA Task Force and on CC:DA activities, and Marjorie Bloss, who is the RDA Project Manager, gave an RDA update.

Regina Reynolds then reported on the access level record for serials pilot. The concept seemed to be fairly well accepted by the group.

The last item on the agenda was a discussion of a proposal for limited use of latest entry for minor changes, led by Gene Dickerson. The feeling seemed to be that it would be better to go with some kind of systems approach, where an indicator or tag could be used to designate "this is the current title" rather than redescribing whenever there is a minor change.

Back to top

   

SS Education

The status of the revision of Syllabus for Serials Collection Management, Records Systems, and Preservation Teaching and Training was discussed. The Committee had agreed that this syllabus should be withdrawn and replaced by two new syllabi: Serials Management (Print and Electronic) and Serials Preservation and Archiving. The appropriate form to withdraw the current syllabus was submitted to the ALCTS Publications Committee. Andrea Rolich has been appointed as a consultant from PARS to work with Virginia Taffurelli and Ellen Kovacic on the Serials Preservation and Archiving syllabus. Michael Elmore and Erin Wise will work on the Serials Management syllabus. Elmore, as incoming committee chair, will submit the appropriate forms to request new publications to the ALCTS Publications Committee.

The committee was asked to provide a recommendation on how to handle the 1992 "Guidelines for Handling Library Orders for Serials and Periodicals" (update, revise, or withdraw?). The recommendation was to completely revise the document to address both electronic ordering and orders for electronic materials. The committee recommended that it be referred to the Serials Section Acquisition Committee, the group which authored the original guide, to do the revision, and that they consult the ALCTS Acquisitions Section to see if they have a similar document that covers aspects of the topic that are not serials-specific, such as relationships between libraries and vendors, and what a library should expect from a publisher or vendor.

Daisy Waters was elected Chair-Elect of the ALCTS Serials Section, and consequently submitted her resignation from this committee. Betty Landesman was elected Chair-Elect of the ALCTS Collection Management and Development Section, and will be leaving this committee when her term as chair is completed June 30.

It was decided to postpone planning a program on "Electronic Serials 101" until the 2008 annual conference.

Our next meeting will be on Saturday, January 20, from 8-10 a.m. in Seattle.

Back to top

   

SS Policy and Planning

The following are recommendations for the Serials Section Executive Committee to consider:

  • Change the Research Libraries Discussion Group name to "Serials in College and Research Libraries Discussion Group." Issue a call to appropriate electronic discussion lists (include the NMRT list) for interested volunteers to serve as Chair and Chair-elect. If there are no volunteers, this discussion group should be placed on the sunset review track.
  • Ask the Journal Costs Discussion Group to consider changing its name to "Journal Pricing in Libraries Discussion Group."

The committee recommended that discussion groups always have a Chair and a Chair-elect to provide backup. This information is available in the ALCTS manual online. The committee also recommends that Serials Section Executive Committee Members-At-Large assigned to discussion groups check to make sure this happens. Eleanor Cook will contact the ALCTS Newsletter Online (ANO) editor to see about contributing a general article about discussion/interest groups and what has been happening with them.

Cook will suggest a program on Development of Facilitation skills (possibly through the ALCTS Leadership Development Committee) to the ALCTS Program Planning. The committee recommends continued promotion of discussion/interest group IG topics in the ALCTS newsletter and making sure NMRT list and other lists as appropriate receive announcements about discussion/interest group activities.

Committee Review: The committee is looking for a checklist of questions to be used in the committee review process and was unsure if one is available. This information is not available in the ALCTS Manual. Cook will check with Executive Director Charles Wilt and other ALCTS Sections' Policy & Planning Committees regarding process.

After Emily McElroy appoints a Chair for the Union List of Serials Committee, that group will be contacted about starting a review of that committee. Other committees to review in the future will be considered later next year.

Miscellaneous questions:

  • Are there plans to phase out the print version of the ALA Handbook of Organization?
  • How are technology purchase decisions made by ALA and/or ALCTS? Dissatisfaction was expressed concerning recent software choices (the event planner, etc.) and members would like more input or at least more information about the process of choice.

It was confirmed that Tschera Connell will continue to serve on the committee next year.

For the Committee to do in the coming year:

  • Develop initiatives per Strategic Plan (as directed by the ALCTS Planning Committee and Serials Section Executive Committee).
  • Compile initiatives created by other SS Committees.
  • Review the Union List of Serials Committee.
  • Check on progress of discussion group recommendations noted in this conference report.

Back to top

   

SS Research and Publications

Michelle Sitko provided an update on Guidelines for Managing Microforms in the Digital Age, which is scheduled for completion in time for Annual 2007.

Connie Foster reported on the ALCTS Publications Committee. The group had expected a visit from Christine Taylor, the ALCTS Publications Specialist, to discuss the Web site and the list of publications, but after waiting a period of time after finishing the agenda, committee members decided to adjourn the meeting. Among the concerns was the fact that the online publication Unraveling the Mysteries of Serials still has not been removed from the Web site, even though this was agreed on at Midwinter. There are other problems such as non-functioning links, redundant or outdated information, etc. Anne Mitchell reported on some work done by a committee charged to review the ALCTS Web site.

Anne Mitchell is the incoming committee chair.

Back to top

   

SS Serials Standards

Serials Standards Update Forum

The committee organized and presented the Serials Standards Update Forum during Annual 2006, and 156 people attended the program. All three presentations given at the forum will be made available on the ALCTS Web site. Preparations for the 2007 update forum are in progress.

Serials Standards Bibliography

In preparation for completing the proposal for an ALCTS publication, the committee discussed the following:

  • Purpose, objectives, goals of the Serials Standards Bibliography
  • Scope and brief overview of subjects to be covered.
  • Organization of the text and table of contents.
The committee will complete and submit the proposal for an ALCTS publication for a revised edition of the Serials Standards Bibliography.
Meeting Date and Time at Annual Conferences

The committee will change its meeting time at annual conferences, and will meet on Saturdays from 8-10 a.m.

Back to top

   

SS Union List of Serials

The Committee welcomed Todd Butler of the University of California, Irvine Libraries, who will be joining the committee in July.

Myrtle Myers of OCLC provided a brief update on OCLC's transition to the use of the Connexion browser to support local holdings maintenance. The use of MARC 21 Format for Holdings Data in Local Holdings Records, the use of 008 byte 20 (lending policy) and byte 21 (reproduction policy), batch loading, possible MFHD file output, and challenges faced in the transition were discussed. Myers noted that the use of MFHD had made users rethink procedures. Many users are interested in the increased granularity of holdings information, the do not loan/copy options, and the policy level deflections by format that are now available. This discussion led to a review of the document Characteristics of an Ideal Union Listing World that the committee has been developing. A number of changes to the document were suggested, and the committee agreed to a complete revision of the document by the upcoming Mid-winter meeting.

The committee also reviewed a document that is intended to become a links library of resources for and about Union listing and MARC 21 Format for Holdings Data. It was agreed that the collection of links in the document were appropriate, and Myers will check for more current links both to OCLC documentation and the Library of Congress Newspaper Project.

Lastly, the committee considered a possible refocusing of its labors. The activities mentioned above support ALCTS' efforts to promote the development and use of both standards and best practices.

Back to top