Hot Topics: Discussion Groups & Interest Groups

Discussion and Interest Group Topics for Annual 2006 in New Orleans

Acquisitions Managers and Vendors Interest Group

The Acquisitions Managers and Vendors Interest Group will meet on Sunday, June 25, 1:30 p.m.- 3:30 p.m. in the Hilton Garden Inn Downtown, Clementine Hunter Room (please note: There are two Hilton Garden Inns, and this program is at the Hilton on 1001 South Peters Street. It is 12 on the Annual Conference map). CEOs from major academic print book and e-book vendors will participate in a moderated discussion of vendors' roles in and visions of the evolving supply chain between publishers and libraries with a focus on the scholarly monograph and its transition from print to electronic formats. The CEOs are: Susan Peterson, Blackwell's Book Services; Richard Rosy, netLibrary; Gary Shirk, YBP Library Services; and Christopher Warnock, ebrary. Tom Sanville, Executive Director, OhioLINK, will moderate the panel. There will be plenty of opportunity to join in the conversation with questions and comments.

Address questions about this program to Michael Zeoli, or Lynn Chmelir, Co-Chairs, Acquisitions Managers and Vendors Interest Group.

ALCTS/LITA Electronic Resource Management Interest Group

The ALCTS/LITA Electronic Resource Management Interest Group will meet on Friday, June 23, 7:30 p.m.-9:00 p.m. in the Morial Convention Center, Rooms 298/299. This meeting is to share information and discuss hot topics and initiatives regarding electronic resource management. Participants are invited to share their experiences, recommendations, and ideas for the continued development of Electronic Resource Management Systems (ERMS).

Tim Jewell, University of Washington, and Ted Fons, Innovative Interfaces, will discuss “Envisioning the Future of ERM Systems.” Nathan Robertson, University of Maryland, will discuss “Making ERMs Effective and Efficient Tools: Licensing and Serials Data Exchange.” Additionally, there will be a discussion on the topic “Greater Interoperability: Making ERMs Effective Tools.” Lastly, a new vice-chair/chair-elect will be chosen.

Address questions about the meeting to Greg Raschke, Chair, ALCTS/LITA Electronic Resource Management Interest Group.

Catalog Management Discussion Group

The Catalog Management Discussion Group will meet on June 24, 1:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. in the Hilton New Orleans Riverside, Grand Salon 4. There will be three speakers reporting on news from the profession. David Reser, Library of Congress, will discuss several recent "clean up" projects undertaken in the Cataloging Policy and Support Office (CPSO) and the different types of error reports they routinely receive to facilitate catalog maintenance. Anastasia Guimaraes, University of Notre Dame, will discuss "New Ways of Using Technical Services Staff in the Digital Information Age." Magda El-Sherbini, Head of Cataloging, Ohio State University Libraries, will moderate a panel discussion on LC's recent announcement of their intention to stop tracing series.

Address questions about the meeting to Sharon An, Chair, Catalog Management Discussion Group.

Cataloging Norms Discussion Group

The Cataloging Norms Discussion group will meet on Saturday, June 24, 1:30 - 3:30 p.m. in the Morial Convention Center, Rooms 333/334.

Three speakers will address metadata, serials, and a special collections project. Aline Soules, Associate University Librarian, California State University, will review how serial and related terms, including new terms such as integrating and continuing resources, have evolved over the last fifty years. Diane Marie Ward, Principal Poetry Cataloger from SUNY Buffalo's Poetry/Rare Books Special Collections, will discuss how a small unit can achieve both quantity and quality for MARC and metadata cataloging, without sacrificing unique procedures necessary to describe these rare items. Rhonda Marker, Catalog and Metadata Librarian, Rutgers University Libraries, will discuss practical metadata processes, including: the necessary steps to create appropriate and usable metadata for a digital project, schema selection, key metadata elements, controlled vocabulary, documentation and cross-schema mapping.

Address questions about this program to Sandy Chen, Co-Chair, Cataloging Norms Discussion Group.

Collection Development Librarians of Academic Libraries Discussion Group

The Collection Development Librarians of Academic Libraries Discussion Group will meet on Saturday, June 24th, 1:30 p.m.-3:30 p.m. in the Sheraton New Orleans, Napoleon Ballroom B3. Participants may choose from any of the following six topics for round table discussion and will also have an opportunity to hear summary reports from all groups.

The roundtable discussion topics are: 1. Collection development for institutional repositories- Facilitator: Brian Quinn, Texas Tech University Libraries; 2. Faculty endorsement of Open Access journals - how do you get it?- Facilitator: Allan Scherlen, Appalachian State University; 3. Strategies for promoting your collection- Facilitator: David Feinmark, Washburn University; 4. Building a great collection management Web site- Facilitator: Andy Corrigan, Tulane University; 5. Conversion of ILL requests to rush orders: implications for selectors- Facilitator: Elizabeth Wright, Indiana State University; 6. Alternatives to Licensing- Facilitators: Selden Durgom Lamoureux, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and Judy Luther, Informed Strategies.

Address questions about the program to June Schmidt, Chair, Development Librarians of Academic Libraries Discussion Group.

Collection Management and Development Section (CMDS) and RUSA/CODES Collection Development in Public Libraries Discussion Group

The ALCTS/CMDS and RUSA/CODES Collection Development in Public Libraries Discussion Group will meet on Monday, June 26, 10:30 a.m.-12:00 p.m. in the Hilton Grand, Salon 18. Discussion will center on three topics: gifts, gaming and downloadable media.

Address questions about the program to Kerry Cronin, Co-Chair, ALCTS/CMDS and RUSA/CODES Collection Development in Public Libraries Discussion Group.

Copy Cataloging Discussion Group

“Navigating Rapids in Copy Cataloging Workflows” is the discussion theme for the Copy Cataloging Discussion Group meeting. The group will meet on June 26, 2006, 10:30 a.m.-12:00 p.m. in the Morial Convention Center, Rooms 398/399.

Two recent news making events will be the primary focus of the meeting. Judith Mansfield, Library of Congress, will give an overview of LC’s decision to cease to provide controlled series access in bibliographic records and to give series statements in 490(0) fields. Rich Greene, OCLC, will respond to questions regarding how OCLC will now load LC records. He will also address the ramifications of OCLC’s acquisition of RLG, and the potential impact on the OCLC database and membership. There will also be a question and answer session.

Address questions about this program to Mary L. Mastraccio, Chair, Copy Cataloging Discussion Group.

Creative Ideas in Technical Services Discussion Group

The Creative Ideas in Technical Services Discussion Group will meet on June 25, 4:00 p.m.-5:30 p.m. in the Hotel Monteleone, Vieux Carre Room. The format will consist of small breakout discussions of each topic, followed by a summary of each discussion to the whole group.

The discussion topics are: 1. The Library of Congress' recent decisions regarding series treatment; 2. The impact of the RLG/OCLC merger on technical services; 3. Policy and procedure manuals for technical services; 4. Disaster preparedness in technical services; 5. Filling staff positions in technical services; 6. Statistics gathering in acquisitions; 7. Looking at technical services organization; and 8. Link resolvers and federated searching for access to electronic resources.

Address questions about this program to Carla Davis Cunningham, Vice Chair/Chair Elect, Creative Ideas in Technical Services Discussion Group. The group is also seeking volunteers to facilitate and record the discussions at each topic table.

If interested, contact Carla Davis Cunningham.

Electronic Resources Interest Group

The Electronic Resources Interest Group will meet on Saturday, June 24, 10:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. in the New Orleans Marriott, Mardi Gras D Room.

The group’s program is titled “Current Developments in E-Resource Licensing and Rights: What You and Your Institution Need to Know.” Electronic resources carry with them a myriad of complex issues. Deciphering the legal terminology found in contracts between libraries and vendors can be a daunting task. In addition, born digital projects and digitization projects and programs implicate copyright as well as other areas of the law including privacy, the right of publicity and donor or author agreements. A panel of speakers will shed some light on deciphering and recording necessary licensing and rights metadata in local systems. Current information on developments in licensing and rights at the California Digital Library and news about the ongoing work being done by the ERMI/ONIX/NISO joint effort to develop an XML license expression format will be discussed. There will also be time for questions and discussion.

The speakers are: Dr. Sharon E. Farb, Director, Digital Collection Management and Licensing, UCLA Library; Karen Coyle, Digital Libraries Consultant; Nathan D. M. Robertson, Electronic Resources Librarian, University of Maryland Law Library.

Address questions about this program to Angela Riggio, Chair, Electronic Resources Interest Group.

Heads of Cataloging Discussion Group

The Heads of Cataloging Discussion Group will meet on Monday, June 26, 8:00 a.m.-10:00 a.m. in the Morial Convention Center, Rooms 398/399. Sylvia Hall-Ellis, Library and Information Science Program, University of Denver, will give a presentation on "Cataloger Competencies: Do the Employers Require What the Professors Teach?" Please join us for what promises to be a lively discussion.

Address questions about this program to David G. Anderson , Chair, Heads of Cataloging Discussion Group. The group will also be electing a Vice-Chair/Chair-Elect.

LITA/ALCTS CCS Authority Control in the Online Environment Interest Group

The LITA/ALCTS CCS Authority Control in the Online Environment Interest Group will meet on Sunday, June 25, 1:30 p.m.-3:30 p.m. in the Hilton New Orleans Riverside, Grand Ballroom C. A business meeting will follow the program, and all are welcome.

The interest group’s program is titled “Questioning Authorities: Adapting Authority Control to the Changing Needs of Library Users.” The program will address the questions: Does traditional authority control meet the needs of online catalog users? Does it meet their expectations? Are there things that can be learned from less traditional approaches to organizing information which can be used to enhance authority control in libraries? This program will explore non-traditional or expanded approaches to authority control, ranging from folksonomies (author- or user-supplied subject terms frequently used in social software applications) to keeping vernacular fields in sync with romanized fields. The Folksonomy speakers are: Louise Spiteri, Dalhousie University; Ross Singer, Georgia Institute of Technology; and Jennifer Trant, Archives & Museum Informatics.

There will be three additional speakers: John Reese, Backstage Library Works, who will discuss authority control of vernacular fields; Manon Theroux, Yale University Library, who will also discuss authority control of vernacular fields; and Beacher Wiggins, Library of Congress (LC), will discuss LC's recent announcement on series authority records and will provide other updates from LC.

Address questions about the program to Linda Ballinger, Chair, LITA/ALCTS CCS Authority Control in the Online Environment Interest Group.

Networked Resources and Metadata Interest Group

The Networked Resources and Metadata Interest Group will meet on Sunday, June 25, 8:00 a.m.-10:00 a.m. in the Morial Convention Center, Room 336.

A panel discussion by six metadata librarians who discuss their work and the top trends in digital collections and metadata today will take place from 8:00 a.m.-9:30 a.m. The panelists are: Ann Caldwell, Brown University; John Chapman, University of Minnesota; Arwen Hutt, University of California, San Diego; Alisha Little, University of Texas at Austin; Erin Stalberg, University of Virginia; and Mary Beth Weber, Rutgers University. The 90-minute panel will be followed by a 30-minute business meeting.

Address questions about the program to Steven Miller, Chair, Networked Resources and Metadata Interest Group.

Pre-Order and Pre-Search Catalog Discussion Group

The Pre-Order and Pre-Search Catalog Discussion Group will meet on Monday, June 26, 1:30-3:30 p.m. in the Morial Convention Center, Room 335. The discussion topic will be media searching (audio and video). The increasing demand in research libraries for audio and video materials has created new challenges for acquisitions staff in searching for these types of materials. The discussion will address how librarians might more effectively locate records to facilitate ordering of audiovisual materials, vendor services available to assist libraries with this need, the challenges libraries face when ordering and cataloging media materials, and media and language formats.

The following panel will offer their varied perspectives and approaches to these issues: Christine Godin, Director of Learning Resources, Northwest Vista College (San Antonio, Texas); David Hargrave, Western Regional Director, Baker and Taylor; Mary S. Konkel, Head of Technical Services, College of DuPage; Randy Pitman, Publisher and Editor of Video Librarian.

Address questions about the meeting to Mark Kendall, Chair, Pre-Order and Pre-Search Catalog Discussion Group or Lisa Spagnolo, Vice-Chair, Pre-Order and Pre-Search Catalog Discussion Group.

Preservation Administration Discussion Group

The Preservation Administration Discussion Group will meet on Friday, June 23, 1:30 p.m.-5:00 p.m. in the Marriott New Orleans at the Convention Center, Riverbend BR. There will be two major discussion topics: (1) emergency preparedness training post-Katrina, and (2) digital preservation at Portico. In addition, there will be recognition of award recipients, a poster session, a brief business meeting, and general announcements.

Address questions about the program to  Jane Hedberg, Co-Chair, Preservation Administration Discussion Group, or  Cathy Martyniak, Co-Chair, Preservation Administration Discussion Group.

Publisher-Vendor-Library Relations (PVLR) Interest Group Open Forum

The Publisher-Vendor-Library Relations (PVLR) Interest Group will hold an open forum “University Presses: Rising to the Challenge” on Monday, June 26, 8:00 a.m.-10:00 a.m. in the Morial Convention Center, Room 242.

In the first of two Forums devoted to the state of the University Presses (the second will take place at Midwinter 2007), PVLR has brought together distinguished representatives of the University Press book and journal publishing communities for an open discussion of their strategies for success. The speakers are: Donna Blagdan, Journals Marketing Manager, Duke University Press; Barbara Ras, Director, Trinity University Press; Seetha Srinivasan, Director, University Press of Mississippi; and Julie Steffen, Associate Journals Manager and Director, Astronomy Journals, University of Chicago Press. The panel will be moderated by October Ivins, Publishing Industry Consultant, e-Content Solutions.

Address questions about the program to Ruth Fischer, Chair, PVLR.

Role of the Professional in Technical Services Discussion Group

The Role of the Professional in Technical Services Discussion Group will meet on Sunday, June 25, 1:30 p.m.-3:30 p.m. in the Sheraton Hotel, Napoleon Ballroom D3.

The discussion topic will be “Managing Change and Navigating Deep Waters: Technical Services Professionals as Managers and Team Leaders.” Technical Services units are under pressure to deal with many changes at the same time. Units struggle to incorporate new technologies, new formats, and new cataloging rules, while responding to the ever-present financial pressure to do more with less and with the realities of office politics. What is the role of the professional in technical services in dealing with the management of change? How do we know when change is needed and what changes should be made? How do we proactively manage change, deal with the stress of change, and help lead our teams productively through the phases of change? How do we navigate the waters of office politics in order to effectively lobby for the importance of our work and our units? Come and share ideas and strategies for learning how to bounce in a bumpy world and be effective leaders in our organizations.

Address questions about the program to Lisa Robinson, Chair, Role of the Professional in Technical Services Discussion Group.

Scholarly Communication Discussion Group

The Scholarly Communication Discussion Group will meet on Monday, June 26, from 1:30 p.m. -3:30 p.m. in the Hilton Garden Inn, Clementine Hunter Room. Five speakers will discuss the role of technical services in institutional repositories.

The speakers are:

  • Anastasia Guimaraes, University of Notre Dame, "If You Build It, They Won't Come: the Institutional Repository Pilot Project at the University of Notre Dame."
  • John W. Chapman, University of Minnesota, "Defining a Technical Services Role in Minnesota's Digital Conservancy."
  • Carol Hixson, University of Oregon, "Beyond Metadata: an Expanded Role for Technical Services in Institutional Repositories."
  • Rhonda Marker, Rutgers University, "The Rutgers Community Repository (RUCore) and Technical Services."
  • Amada J. Wilson and Magda El-Sherbini, Ohio State University, "Metadata from the Campus and from the Library: the Role of Technical Services in the OSU Knowledge Bank."

Address questions about the program to Brad Eden, Chair, Scholarly Communication DG. Additionally, a new Vice-Chair/Chair-Elect will be chosen. If interested, contact Andrea Imre.

Serials Section Journal Costs in Libraries Discussion Group

The Serials Section Journal Costs in Libraries Discussion Group will meet on Saturday, June 24, 4:00 p.m.-6:00 p.m. in the Morial Convention Center, Rooms 244/245.

The discussion topic is “The eJournal Pricing Model Explosion: Three Perspectives.” Continually evolving pricing models offer benefits and challenges but may also produce unintended consequences. Panelists representing a commercial publisher, a non-profit aggregator and an academic library will address this theme, leaving ample time for audience participation. The panelists are: Beth R. Bernhardt, Electronic Journals and Document Delivery Librarian, University of North Carolina at Greensboro; Christopher M. McKenzie, Vice President of Sales, North and South America, Wiley InterScience, John Wiley & Sons, Inc.; and Susan Skomal, Executive Director, BioOne.

Topics will cover:

Publishers:

  • What does a publisher consider in selecting a pricing model?
  • What data do you use in the modeling process?
  • When is it useful to have multiple pricing models?
  • Are consortial based models essential?
  • Have you considered methods for incorporating usage into pricing?
  • What are the potential challenges and advantages of various models?
  • What trends do you predict in the evolution of pricing models?
Librarians:
  • What pricing models are attractive to a librarian?
  • How does the size and type of library you represent change your response?
  • What new developments in pricing models can you anticipate?
  • How do multiple pricing models affect consortial purchases?
  • Can you provide examples of unintended consequences?
Address questions about the program to Clint Chamberlain, Vice-Chair, Serials Section Journal Costs in Academic Libraries Discussion Group.

CANCELLED: Serials Section Research Libraries Discussion Group Meeting

The ALCTS-SS Research Libraries Discussion Group meeting that was scheduled for Saturday, June 24, 10:30 a.m.-12:00 p.m. in the Morial Convention Center, Room 237, has been cancelled. The group’s next meeting will be at the ALA Midwinter Conference in Seattle in January 2007.

Technical Services Administrators of Medium-sized Research Libraries (Medium Heads) Discussion Group

Join the Technical Services Administrators of Medium-sized Research Libraries (Medium Heads) Discussion Group on Saturday, June 24, from 10:30 a.m.-12:00 p.m. in the Morial Convention Center, Rooms 391/392, to continue the 2006 discussion theme “The Future of Technical Services: Responding to the Challenge.” Following a brief business meeting, attendees may participate in one of several specific discussion topics, including the Future of the Catalog, LC and Series Authority Records, Institutional Repositories, and ERMS. Newcomers are always welcome.

Address questions about the program to Elizabeth Brice, Chair, Technical Services Administrators of Medium-sized Research Libraries Discussion Group.

Technical Services Directors of Large Research Libraries Discussion Group

The Technical Services Directors of Large Research Libraries Discussion Group will meet on Friday, June 23, 2006, 9:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. in the Marriott New Orleans at the Convention Center, Crescent A/B.

The discussion plans a dialogue with Jennifer Bowen, ALA's representative to the Joint Steering Committee (JSC), concerning Resource Description and Access ( RDA). In a follow-up to the last meeting, the group will share updates on vendor-supplied cataloging initiatives. There will also be conversations about the Taiga Forum and the Janus Conference, two recent events that explored change in information systems, services and collections. Lastly, the group will discuss coping with "permanent whitewater," particularly within the context of the OCLC/RLG merger, changing LC practice for series access, and three new reports on the future of catalogs and bibliographic services.

Address questions about this program to Karen S. Calhoun, Chair, Technical Services Directors of Large Research Libraries Discussion Group.