ALCTS Committees Report from San Antonio

Below are brief abstracts of the activities of ALCTS committees during the 2006 ALA Midwinter Meeting, January 20–25, in San Antonio, based on reports received by the editor as of February 10, 2006. Committee contact information for committee chairs and members may be found on the ALCTS Organization menu on the ALCTS home page; in addition, some committees post minutes and other documents pertinent to their work on their Web pages.

For information on committees not listed below, go to the ALCTS Organization menu and follow the links through to the appropriate section.

Division / Acquisitions Section / Cataloging and Classification Section / Collection Management and Development Section / Council of Regional Groups / Preservation and Reformatting Section / Serials Section

Division Committees

ALCTS/AAP Joint Committee

This group did not meet during the conference.

Budget and Finance Committee

The Budget and Finance Committee met twice. After a review of the Committee’s charge and the ALCTS financial plan, members discussed the fiscal year 2005 budget final report with ALCTS Executive Director Charles Wilt. Increased revenues from the dues increase and the LRTS subscription rate increase were partially realized during FY 2005. Both Office operations and LRTS ended the year in the black—a significant turnaround achieved in a single year. Continuing education (CE) produced some red ink, since in-person attendance is unpredictable, and it was noted that increasing Web-based CE offerings will help balance the revenue stream.

Members also reviewed the first quarter report for the FY 2006 budget. This will be the first year that revenue from the dues and subscription rate increases will be fully realized. The preliminary FY 2007 budget was approved and forwarded to the ALCTS Executive Board as an action item. Some estimated costs for the Fiftieth Anniversary Celebration are included, but these expenses will be offset by fundraising as the planning moves forward.

Further discussion took place as to a review process and methodology for considering dues and subscription rate increases. A set of data points was identified for each, and a preliminary look at the data from 2005 onward will be available for committee review at Annual.

International Relations

Committee members and ALCTS representatives to IFLA Section Standing Committees provided brief introductions. The IFLA representatives described the current work of their sections and how ALCTS and the International Relations Committee (IRC) can help and support them. The IFLA representatives strongly expressed the need for concise and timely communication from ALCTS and ALA International Relations regarding nominations for IFLA Standing Committees and the process of submitting reports on their IFLA activities.

IRC members and ALCTS IFLA representatives reviewed the revised (June 2005) charge for the IRC and noted the deletion of two tasks (selection of ALCTS representatives to IFLA Sections and allocation of funding) included in the previous charge. They reviewed the recommendations and action plans developed at ALA Midwinter.

Committee members and ALCTS representatives to IFLA Section Standing Committees discussed the ALCTS Strategic Plan 2006–2011 and identified areas where the IRC’s initiatives and responsibilities fit within the plan.

Action Items:

  • Streamline the dissemination of IFLA reports. Wanda Dole will request a one-page guide from Charles Wilt identifying to whom ALCTS IFLA representatives ar e to submit reports. She will also ask Michael Dowling what ALA does with the reports, etc., received from IFLA representatives. Timetable: report back at ALA Annual 2006.
  • Bring together ALCTS IFLA representatives and other American librarians doing inte rnational work on collections and technical services. Wanda Dole will invite American librarians (who are not sponsored by ALCTS) serving on IFLA Collections and Technical Services Section Standing Committees to the IRC meeting at ALA Annual 2006. Bill Garrison will investigate how to build ALCTS international work into the ALCTS Fiftieth Anniversary Celebration. IRC will explore placing articles in the LRRT Newsletter and American Libraries.
  • Identify ALA’s international policy objectives. Paul Hover will examine ALA’s 2010 Plan and report back to the IRC at ALA Annual 2006.
  • Identify and publicize international Web sites related to ALCTS activities. Suzy Palmer compiled a list of Web sites. Sha Li Zhang will investigate how to disseminate the information .

Leadership Development

The third annual ALCTS Volunteer Forum took place on Saturday, January 21. Approximately thirty attendees heard presentations from ALCTS President Rosann Bazirjian, ALCTS President-Elect Bruce Johnson, ALCTS Section and Council of Regional Groups Chair-Elects, and Mary Beth Weber, ALCTS Newsletter Online editor. The speakers encouraged the audience to become familiar with the many volunteer opportunities within ALCTS, including those that do not require appointments such as discussion groups and interest group leadership positions, and to be proactive in attending meetings and informing committee chairs of their interest. The forum also provided networking time following the presentations so the attendees could talk to the appointing officers directly.

“ALCTS and Continuing Education: How to Build a Successful CE Course,” a Leadership Development Committee and Education Committee co-sponsored event, will be presented at the 2006 ALA Annual Conference in New Orleans on Saturday, June 24, 10:30 a.m.–12 p.m. Karen LeTarte, Education Committee Chair, will facilitate a panel of experts in various aspects of continuing education--content development, training, and instructional technology. The program supports ALCTS’ efforts to expand its CE offerings.

Plans are underway to develop programming for Annual 2007 that builds on the suggestions of attendees at the “Managing Across Generations” program offered at Annual 2005. Possibilities include a half-day workshop covering concrete strategies for supervising and mentoring across generations. Comments from the 2005 New Leaders Orientation evaluations, as well as input from the Division Committee Chairs will be used to enhance the event, which occurs each year at the Annual Conference.

LRTS Editorial Board

Chair Peggy Johnson reviewed her report to the ALCTS Board. She noted that book reviews have doubled since Edward Swanson assumed editorship of that section. Since submissions have been strong, Johnson encouraged the Board to be rigorous in its reviews. Johnson also summarized the state of literature reviews and noted the unofficial means by which some Board members have been serving as mentors to prospective authors. Pat Riva and Norm Medeiros have served in this capacity, with generally successful results. Johnson wishes to make this service official and the Board approved.

Tschera Connell is reviewing the last fifty years of LRTS. Her review includes citation analysis, both from and to LRTS; author acknowledgements; and changes within the book review and editorial sections. She has reviewed thirty-eight years of this work thus far. It is hoped that her results will be ready for submission by the end of summer.

Christine Taylor asked the board to solicit advertisements for LRTS. Increased advertising revenue for LRTS might result in increased pages. Potential advertisers should be directed to Christine.

Johnson reviewed the LRTS publication statistics. She noted that no acquisitions articles were submitted in 2005, yet there are many acquisitions-related initiatives currently underway. She encouraged Board members to solicit papers in this area.

Edward Swanson reported on book reviewing activity. The number of reviews, as well as reviewers, has been increasingly steadily under his direction. Swanson asked whether a fifty year or twenty-five year index of LRTS (an index to v. 1-25 was produced) will be published. Given that such an index would likely require an entire issue of LRTS, a print index will not be published. A Web-based index, however, was seen by many Board members as having value.

A board member asked whether there was any movement towards digitizing LRTS back to volume one. Johnson responded that there are no plans to do so, though archival issues will continue to be made freely available on the LRTS Web site following a two-year embargo period.

Board members identified their efforts to promote and solicit manuscripts for LRTS. One member suggested offering an interactive section on the LRTS Web site where letters to the editor, perhaps facilitated through a Weblog mechanism, might alleviate page constraints in the print publication, while offering additional exposure for LRTS. The Board reacted favorably to this idea.

Machine Readable Bibliographic Information Committee (MARBI)

MARBI considered five proposals and discussed four reports:

Proposal 2006-1, Changes to Accommodate IAML Form/Genre Codes in Field 047 in the MARC 21 Bibliographic Format was approved with the following changes: code mu in the 008/18-19 will be redefined to mean that there are either multiple MARC codes or alternate codes in the 047, 047 will be made repeatable, and the source of the code will be indicated using the second indicator with a subfield $2 when necessary.

Proposal 2006-2, Adding Subfields for Relator Terms to X11 Fields in the MARC 21 Bibliographic and Authority Formats: option 1 to define a subfield $j for relator terms was approved.

Proposal 2006-3, Standardized Terminology for Access Restrictions in Field 506 of the MARC 21 Bibliographic Format was approved with the minor change that the new subfield $f will state that it will contain “data,” rather than “term or phrase” from a standardized list, to allow the use of a code from a standardized list.

Proposal 2006-4, Technique for Conversion of Unicode to MARC-8, was approved with changes as follows: it was agreed that a second proposal for a lossless numeric character reference conversion technique should be prepared for MARBI's consideration so that two options for conversion of Unicode to MARC-8 can be made available, one lossy and one lossless; Option 1, use of fill character, was approved; it was agreed that for preprocessing normalization, a decomposition list should be prepared rather than an exceptions list.

Proposal 2006-5, Changes to Holdings Data Fields to Accommodate ONIX for Serials in the MARC 21 Holdings Format Parts 1 and 2 were approved. Define subfield $o in 853 and 863; make it repeatable there and also in 854/864 and 855/865, where it is already defined; define subfield $2 for source of caption abbreviation and make it repeatable. LC was asked to bring back subfield $r for language of caption, in view of the need for a subfield for issuing date for indexes; it was questionable how much this was needed and whether 008/22-24 might suffice.

Discussion Paper 2006-DP01, Recording Geographic Coordinates in the MARC 21 Authority Format. The value of the ability to be able to do this was not questioned; after discussion, it was agreed that LC would bring this back as a proposal. The first indicator (type of scale) and subfields for scale ($a, $b, $c) would not be part of the 034 in the authority format, but the 2nd indicator for type of ring will be retained; we will not dictate the form of the data (decimal coordinates vs. latitude/longitude); for points, the latitude and longitude would be repeated; the field would be repeatable; a method for recording time period applicable to the coordinates in a structured form will be proposed; coordinates for planets will be considered; and a way to encode the source of the data will be included. In addition, LC was asked to prepare another discussion paper about how to include a feature list.

Discussion Paper 2006-DP02, Addition of Coded Value to 008 for Content Alerts in the MARC 21 Bibliographic Format. The group preferred not to base a proposal on the use of a fixed field code in the 008, but LC was asked to create a proposal for a variable field to hold content alerts.

Discussion Paper 2006-DP03, Incorporation of Former Headings into MARC 21 Authority Records. After a lively discussion, MARBI was undecided about whether it was best to use a 4XX field with a $w subfield to support machine processing, or whether it was better to use a 683 field with appropriate subfield coding to guard against inappropriate machine processing. LC will bring this discussion paper back to MARBI in the future.

Discussion Paper 2006-DP05, Indicating Coverage Dates for Indexes in the MARC 21 Holdings Format. This was discussed in conjunction with Proposal 2006-5 above; it was sent back to LC to come back as a proposal to define issue date for indexes in 865.

Sally McCallum explained that Discussion Paper 2006-DP04, Indicating Work/Expression Records in the MARC 21 Authority Format, had been removed from the MARBI agenda temporarily due to the fact that no one on MARBI had experimented yet with the use of MARC 21 to express Barbara Tillett's five FRBR models as described for MARBI in Sally McCallum's original paper.

Bill Moen reported on the progress of the MARC Content Designation Utilization Project, a project that is gathering data about the frequency of use of each MARC field or subfield in OCLC records.

Jennifer Bowen gave an update on the progress of the development of new cataloging rules, Resource Description and Access ( RDA), and made recommendations on how MARBI might be involved in the development and implementation process, including a possible RDA-MARC 21 mapping project. MARBI expressed interest in working together with the JSC on mapping RDA elements into MARC 21; the JSC may come back to us with a specific joint project proposal.

Reinhold Heuvelman, Deutsche Bibliothek, gave an update on the progress by the German and Austrian cataloging communities to map D-MARC to MARC 21. He explained their plan to create a separate MARC 21 bibliographic record for each volume of a multi-volume work, regardless of whether the volumes have distinctive titles, as well as a separate bibliographic record for the multi-volume work as a whole, and their intent to make proposals for improving linking techniques in MARC 21.

Sally McCallum announced her intention to edit MARC 21 documentation to remove any statements that imply a limitation to the MARC-8 character set now that Unicode has been widely implemented.

Membership Committee

The committee’s current activities include:

  • Working with the ALCTS Office to develop a short survey of membership demographics to determine the feasibility of a fee reduction for retirees
  • Developing a Web site featuring information about ALCTS
  • Reviewing booth procedures for annual and soliciting volunteers to staff the booth
  • Reviewing outreach to ALA-accredited Library and Information Studies programs
  • Developing a sign up sheet on the Web site
  • Developing guidelines for contacting schools and for presentations
  • Developing an ALCTS speakers list for specific geographic regions for distribution to library and information science schools
  • Discussing outreach to Medical and Law Library Associations
  • Discussing a program on mentoring and the possibility of working with other appropriate groups
  • Discussing mentoring of support staff scholarship winners. Committee members volunteered to serve as mentors

Organization and By-Laws Committee (O&B)

The Cataloging and Classification Section (CCS) Executive Committee wants to revise its section charge in order to clarify that CCS includes newer as well as older metadata standards. The proposed update is:

The object of this Section shall be to contribute to library service and librarianship through encouragement, promotion of, and responsibility for those activities of the Association for Library Collections and Technical Services (ALCTS) of the American Library Association relating to the cataloging and classification of information resources using both developed and developing metadata structure and content standards, and the use of these standards to provide intellectual access and organization of information resources in both traditional and non-traditional library settings; and to plan and monitor activities using ALCTS’s Strategic and Tactical Plan as a framework.

The CCS Executive Committee voted on this at ALA Annual in June 2005, and referred it to the ALCTS Board, who forwarded it to the Organization and By-Laws Committee (O&B). The goal is to be more inclusive and to expand how the world sees CCS. O&B members discussed the part in the last sentence about “traditional and non-traditional library settings,” and ultimately decided that removing the word “library” would avoid redundancy with library terms mentioned in the first sentence, and open the possibility of including metadata users beyond libraries. Tony Olson made a motion that O&B recommend to the ALCTS Board that the charge should be revised with the suggested change. Kathryn Harcourt seconded it, and it was unanimously passed. (This was approved by the ALCTS Board at its January 24 meeting.)

When the ALCTS Board discussed this proposed revision at its June 28, 2005 meeting, it was moved and passed that the ALCTS Board not only send the revised CCS charge to O&B for review, but also with a request that O&B develop a procedure for other such revisions.

O&B approved six interest groups, some of which had formerly been committees, via email in the fall. O&B questioned whether some of the proposed electronic resources interest groups were redundant and should be asked to combine, but the Executive Committee clarified that the Association does not intend to create barriers to interest group formation, and the Board is not averse to seemingly overlapping groups.

O&B needs to obtain a list of when all the current ALCTS interest groups were created in order to gauge when each will come up for renewal. O&B would also like clarification on how interest groups should be renewed or not, and who should keep track of the renewal dates. Dustin will work with Charles Wilt on this.

ALCTS President Rosann Bazirjian and President-Elect Bruce Johnson met with O&B. Rosann wants O&B to review the bylaws on sections. If the names of sections are listed, the membership must vote to change the bylaws in order to change section names. O&B asked for guidance on the following issues in reference to interest groups: How often do they petition for renewal? Which groups started when? Does O&B do the approval, or does O&B refer this to the Board? Is this spelled out in the ALCTS Manual? Rosann explained that the questions may be referred to the Board. She stated that O&B is not required to inform interest groups that they are coming up for renewal, but must inform the Board of non-renewals. Dates for renewal could be published annually on the ALCTS Web site, but currently most dates are not posted. O&B would like to notify incoming chairs when there is a year left before renewal is required, and therefore, a list of the interest groups and their renewal dates is needed.

O&B members asked about committee appointments. Chairs are appointed for one year, and most serve two years at most. Committees are a two-year appointment and members can be reappointed once. We need to be aware of when our members’ appointments end so as not to assign work to someone who is leaving the committee.

O&B discussed overlap in interest groups. They could be notified that a similar group exists a year in advance of their review so they can explore whether to merge. Some groups seem to be aware of the overlap and are striving to differentiate themselves. The Web site could be a way for groups to be aware of each other and communicate. Rosann and Bruce indicated that the ALCTS Web site was being reorganized so access was not through just one group.

O&B discussed their comments on the ALCTS Strategic Plan 2006-2011 discussion draft. Comments included:

  • “Nimbly” seems to be an odd word under Mission and Goals. Perhaps a better word could be found.
  • The Mission seems to be what libraries do, not ALCTS alone, but the biggest concern is that it does not mention librarians or people. A possible wording change was suggested: “�all matters affecting people who work with selection, identification�”
  • Move up Goal Area 5 to be closer to the top, to indicate the importance of the membership. Show the benefits of joining ALCTS and the services provided.
  • Goal 3, 5th bullet: delivers innovative and cost-effective programming and publications for delivery via a full range of venues developing and utilizing new technology as appropriate.
  • Goal 3, 6th bullet: develops programs and publications for all types and skill levels of library workers.
  • Goal 4, 3rd bullet: establishes more increased and stronger interaction and partnerships with other divisions/groups within ALA.

Helen Reed requested feedback by February 10. Dustin will submit O&B’s collective comments.

Beth Schobernd wrote the review of the ALCTS Program Committee , but she was unable to attend the meeting. Genevieve Owens, chair of the Program Committee, met with O&B. She described the Program Committee’s accomplishments as well as areas where attention is needed. ALCTS could support the Program Committee by:

  • developing a central electronic space to share program proposals with all ALCTS committees that need to be aware of them: Budget, Education, and Publications;
  • supporting the committee members and chair so the committee’s success is not as dependent on the strengths of individuals; and
  • strengthening the stream of preconferences by appointing a small committee to work on preconference proposals.

A motion was made and seconded, and the motion passed to continue the Program Committee. O&B expressed strong support for this committee. Lori reported to the ALCTS Board at their Tuesday, January 24 meeting that the O&B recommended continuation of the Program Committee and expressed strong support for them. Beth will inform the Program Committee of the outcome of their review.

Bylaws

Former O&B CCS representative Paul Weiss sent Dustin a proposal for improving the ALCTS Bylaws and Manual, and Dustin will send Paul’s proposal to O&B. An executive summary would be helpful. Paul has worked on this task for several years, and Pat recommended setting small goals rather than attacking the entire document.

ALCTS President Rosann Bazirjian has suggested removing section names from the bylaws to prevent the need for the membership to approve a section name change. Names do not appear in the ALA bylaws in this way. O&B members would like time to study this issue by examining the bylaws more closely.

Section names are most prominently listed in Article X of the bylaws, along with their charges. Lori learned at the Tuesday ALCTS Board meeting that a recommendation on language to replace the section names and charges would need to be completed before Midwinter 2007 in order to be voted on by the ALCTS membership in 2007. Incoming ALCTS President Bruce Johnson asked us to have something ready by Annual 2006.

Reviews due in 2007 will be assigned at Annual 2006, after Dustin has checked on which committees still exist to be reviewed. Lori was to review the Research and Statistics Committee, but learned from its last chair, William Wakeling, that it was disbanded as a committee at the 2004 Midwinter Meeting, and no support was found to establish it as an interest group.

Reviews due at Annual include:

Membership Committee—Pat Adams will handle this review.

Medium Heads of Technical Services Discussion Group—Nancy Singleton will handle this review.

Program Committee

The committee met with preconference and program planners for ALA Annual 2006 in New Orleans. Titles, descriptions, speakers, dates, and times for all proposed programs were reviewed. The Committee also previewed a symposium proposal for ALA Midwinter 2007 in Seattle and a preconference proposal for ALA Annual 2007 in Washington, D.C. Committee members discussed the program and preconference proposal forms extensively. Genevieve Owens will work with Julie Reese to revise the forms for the Committee's review in March 2006.

Publications Committee

Rosann Bazirjian, ALCTS President and Bruce Johnson, ALCTS President-Elect, met with the Publications Committee. They explained the rational behind ALA’s need to raise the dues rate and asked that the committee support this action.

Paper Series Update (Pamela Bluh): Pamela’s report was distributed to the Committee prior to Midwinter. Three manuscripts have been published so far this year in the Series. Pamela passed around copies of the books for the Committee Members to examine.

LRTS Update (Peggy Johnson): Peggy’s report was distributed to the Committee prior to Midwinter. Peggy noted that she had not received any articles on acquisitions for quite some time. Narda suggested that Peggy should send the committee a list of potential topics for acquisitions-related articles. Peggy noted that ALCTS is interested in reissuing Volume 1, No. 1 of LRTS for ALCTS’ upcoming Fiftieth Anniversary.

Library Materials Price Index Update (Janet Belanger Morrow): Janet indicated that the College Book Price Index will be included in an article that Fred Lynden has written for Choice. Janet will work with Fred on how much will go into the Bowker Annual article for 2006. Owen O’Donnell from Information Today again raised the issue of our content having a “home” on the Information Today site. He indicated that they might be able to provide the ability to download the tables to a spreadsheet, functionality which we had discussed with ALCTS. Janet will be discussing this with Charles Wilt and Christine Taylor.

ANO Update (Mary Beth Weber): Mary Beth indicated that there have been three issues published since Annual. The upcoming April issue will contain advance publicity for ALCTS’ Fiftieth Anniversary events.

Section Liaison Updates (Connie Foster, Jeanne Drewes, Douglas Litts, Richard Sapon-White): The Section Liaisons reviewed major activities in their section publications committees. A number of new manuscripts should be coming to forward to ALCTS Publications Committee to review prior to Annual. Committee members were reminded that ALCTS Web publications must be submitted to the Publications Committee for review and approval in the same manner used for print publications.

Foreign Book Dealers Directory (Kay Granskog): Kay was invited to attend the committee’s meeting and provide an update on the progress of the directory. She distributed copies of the current prototype of the Directory, and plans to have it completed by Annual.

Ad Hoc Subcommittee on Support Staff Publications Report (Narda Tafuri): Narda distributed the subcommittee’s summary report as well as the results. It was pointed out that this was a self-selected survey, not a random survey. The committee discussed the report and made the following recommendations:

  • Narda will give a copy of the survey results and summary to the chair of the Membership Committee as well as feedback from the Publications Committee regarding means of attracting support staff members.
  • A bibliography of current ALCTS publications suitable for support staff will be compiled and distributed to the support staff electronic discussion list.
  • Articles on new publications that might interest support staff will be sent to ANO.
  • ANO could develop a column specifically for/about support staff.

Narda indicated to the committee that ideas for future publications that would benefit support staff might be developed from the ideas regarding “core competencies” that were discussed at the ALCTS Education Retreat. When this information becomes available, Narda will share it with the committee.

New Business: Narda will contact Christine Taylor regarding how the committee can begin using the Online Community to manage its workflow.

Old Business: John Duke will contact Step Schmitt regarding how members can make comments concerning the redesign of the ALCTS Web pages.

Planning Committee

The Planning Committee met twice during the 2006 Midwinter Conference and in addition held a planning discussion with the ALCTS Board during the Board’s Saturday meeting.

The following were the major topics of discussion:

ALCTS Plan 2006-2011—The “Discussion Draft” was circulated broadly prior to conference for groups review at conference and to provide feedback to the Planning Committee no later than February 10. The committee discussed the process for synthesizing feedback on the draft and timelines for issuing revisions with the goal of final Board approval of the Plan at Annual Conference.

ALCTS Planning Survey results were discussed. The survey was sent to 3,361 ALCTS members; 814 responses were received. The majority of responses came from those working in academic (70.6 percent) and public (11.1 percent) libraries. The majority of respondents had been in the profession more than twenty years (47 percent) followed by sixteen-twenty years (15.4 percent); eleven-fifteen years (13.6 percent ); six-ten years (11.8 percent), and zero-five years (12.2 percent). Seventy-four percent of respondents consider ALCTS their primary division, but 65 percent of respondents also belong to another division. More than 68 percent of respondents have never served on an ALCTS division-level or section-level committee or discussion group.

Responses were received to the following free-text questions:

  • Please indicate other areas or initiatives you believe ALCTS should explore.
  • What do you see to be the most important issue facing technical services in the next three-five years?
  • Please indicate other areas for participation ALCTS should offer.
  • Please provide us with additional comments about how ALCTS can best serve you in the future.

ALCTS Planning Survey analysis—The committee reviewed the summaries of survey results with an eye toward responses from the survey that should be integrated into the new Plan. Further analysis will be conducted to provide information on survey responses to others across ALCTS.

Strategic and Tactical Plan Database—The current Strategic and Tactical Plan database has not been updated due to problems with logins. That problem has been resolved and the database will be updated with both accumulated and recent changes.

New Strategic and Tactical Plan Database—Work on the framework for the new database will begin in earnest at Annual Conference once the structure of the plan is known and further conversations have been held with ALA Technology folks.

Back to Top

Council of Regional Groups (CRG)

Affiliate Relations

The Affiliate Relations and Continuing Education Committees met to discuss ways to work together. Affiliate Relations contacts regional technical services groups as new chairs and co-chairs are elected and send names and e-mail addresses to ALCTS to make changes on the ARC Web page and directory. Continuing Education wants to make program and speaker information readily available so groups can share ideas.

Goals:

  • Develop chronological and regional calendars of future programs from affiliate groups (i.e., OCLC, PALINET, SOLINET) and make them available on the main ALCTS Web page
  • Make available PowerPoint presentations from select programs
  • Advertise ALCTS membership benefits to affiliates, i.e., calendars, programs, interactivity with other affiliates, or blogs
  • E-mail the conference program to each affiliate chair after their annual library conference, requesting the name and e-mail address of the new chair and co-chair, and ask the current chair to return the completed program form

The Affiliate Relations Committee also discussed progress at maintaining contact with affiliates and strategies for maintaining contact. Suggestions included joining affiliate discussion lists, linking to affiliates’ Web pages, sending congratulatory emails to new chairs and co-chairs, and explaining their affiliation with CRG.

Continuing Education

The ALCTS Education Summit on Friday was interesting and productive, and the ALCTS Education Committee delegated development of competencies in Technical Services Management to the CRG Continuing Education Committee. This task will be handled by email over the next few weeks. The Summit did not provide the anticipated road map for the CRG aspect of continuing education, e.g., communications and program sharing between ALCTS and the regional groups. To define and pursue these goals, the Continuing Education Committee met jointly with the Affiliate Relations Committee, since the Affiliate Relations Committee maintains contact with the regional groups.

The committee adopted as its project the creation of a “clearinghouse” for continuing education via the ALCTS Web page. Suggestions for this clearinghouse included:

  • Adding to the current continuing education postings, including the Speaker's Bureau list
  • Reporting on programs sponsored by regional groups
  • Developing a calendar of upcoming programs that would include links to Web sites for programs sponsored by regional groups, by PCC/ALCTS (new page being created as “catalogers’ learning workshops”), and by other organizations
  • Linking to documentation produced through programs and courses (including PowerPoint presentations of programs at ALA and regional conferences)
  • Providing information about distance learning opportunities
  • Providing descriptions of programs and interest discussion group topics at upcoming ALA conferences

It was agreed that each committee member would be assigned a counterpart on the Affiliate Relations Committee and would communicate with the regional groups via that counterpart.

Speaker’s Bureau

The committee had no problem filling the longer meeting time with discussion of a variety of agenda items, mainly related to maintenance, promotion, and assessment of the CRG Speakers’ Bureau Directory. A major concern was timely updating of the directory and determining how best to achieve this. While some specific suggestions were made that could eventually be passed along as action items arising out of the ALCTS Strategic Plan for 2006-2010, members expressed a willingness to offer immediate help in making necessary changes, which will be voiced to the ALCTS office and the ALA Web Advisory Committee members from ALCTS. Requests for providing a link to the Speakers’ Bureau Directory on the ALCTS homepage and specific changes to the CRG Speakers’ Bureau Information Form, which should make filling out the form and sorting entries in the directory by geographic area and subject of expertise easier as well as enhance the usability of the directory will also be passed on to the Web Advisory Committee representatives.

The committee determined that it would continue to seek new speakers and promote the directory via the tried and true mechanisms of making face-to-face contact with individuals who are known to its members as effective and expert presenters, spreading the word about the directory through appropriate electronic discussion lists, and distributing flyers at various conferences and workshops. In addition, committee members will attempt to contact relevant library school faculty to encourage their inclusion in, and to seek their help in promoting, the directory. Finally, the Chair of the Speakers’ Bureau will seek input from ALCTS affiliate groups through the ALCTSCRG electronic discussion list concerning their use of the Speakers’ Bureau Directory to date and soliciting their suggestions for improvements to the directory or better approaches in promoting the directory to groups seeking speakers and to presenters looking for venues in which to share their expertise.

Back to Top

Acquisitions Section (AS)

Acquisitions Organization and Management Committee

The committee reviewed the summary data from the ALCTS pre-conference evaluation form on “Electronic Resources Management Systems: Opening a Can of ERMS,” held in Chicago, June 2005. The overall tenor of the data indicated that this preconference was successful in providing both a general conceptual overview of the subject matter together with practical implementations from various institutions in differing contexts. The preconference provided a good balance between theory and practice; the presenters were prepared and knowledgeable, with solid documentation; the panel discussion followed by questions from the audience was considered helpful in increasing knowledge and understanding.

Discussion turned to preconference and program ideas for the Annual meeting in 2007. In attempting to identify ideas that would be timely and most useful to the membership, consensus was reached on the tentatively titled topic: “Workflow Analysis and Redesign for Technical Processing: Theory and Practice.” It was also decided that this topic would function best as a half day pre-conference. The chair will compose a draft proposal and forward to the committee members for discussion. The chair will also begin to contact potential speakers identified by the committee.

Discussion followed concerning the ALCTS Strategic Plan 2006-2011 draft document. The vision and mission statements, as well as the general goals were reviewed and considered acceptable to the committee members.

The committee’s activities contributed to the achievement of the following ALCTS Strategic Plan goals and objectives: Goal 2 (Best Practices), Objectives 1, 2, and 3; Goal 3 (Education), Objective 3; Goal 4 (Professional Development), Objectives 5 and 6; and Goal 5 (Interaction and Information Exchange), Objectives 4 and 5.

Education Committee

The committee chair was unable to attend the Midwinter meeting. Another committee member agreed to chair the meeting in his absence. Since only one other committee member showed up, the committee did not have an official meeting.

Nominating Committee

The slate of candidates was approved and submitted to the ALCTS Board.

Policy and Planning Committee

The committee reviewed terms of office for each member. Two members are rotating off in June after serving two terms on the committee. One member is ending his first term in June, and two other members are ending their first term in 2007. This issue was reviewed because in the past continuity of membership on the committee has been an issue.

The committee’s major task at this meeting was a review of the AS Publications Committee. After reviewing their responses to the survey, the Policy and Planning Committee agreed that the Publications Committee is meeting their charge, and recommended to the AS Executive Committee that the Publications Committee be continued. In addition, the Policy and Planning Committee supported their request for an intern, and is generally supportive of their unofficial request for a new permanent member of the committee at some point in the future.

The AS Technology and AS Research and Statistics Committees are scheduled for review at the Midwinter Conference in 2007. Policy and Planning notified the chairs of each of these committees of the upcoming review.

The Policy and Planning Committee was also due to be evaluated by the AS Executive Committee this year. Policy and Planning had several questions for the executive committee, centering on the committee charge. This was discussed at the AS Executive Committee, and it was agreed that the Policy and Planning Committee will take a more active role in the policy and planning activities of the section, beginning with coordinating the section’s responses to the ALCTS Planning Document.

Publications Committee

Minutes from the 2005 Annual meeting were approved.

The Proposal for Guide to Credit Card purchasing (Narda Tafuri and Nancy Gibbs) was discussed. The committee discussed the initial solicitation of the proposal and then evaluated it. It was approved as written. Pamela Rebarcak added it to her report to AS Executive on Sunday.

Revision of Guide #5 1988 Guide to Performance Evaluation of Library Vendors was discussed. Stephen Bosch and Chris Sugnet will revise and submitted a proposal. The proposal was approved and Pamela Rebarcak will send the approved proposal to ALCTS Publications. Janet Belanger is the project monitor.

Christine Taylor agreed to query the AS Publications list for an author to the Guide to Collecting, Analyzing and Presenting Acquisitions Data.

Marsha Clark will query vendors to find authors of recent RFPs to write a new guide. She will ask a librarian to possibly co-author with a vendor to get both perspectives incorporated.

Karen Ramsey will follow up with the Guide to Change Management by Jack Montgomery.

John McDonald will follow up with Nancy and Narda on their Guide to Credit Card Purchasing manuscript. The estimated completion date for the manuscript is by Annual 2006

Janet Belanger is handling the Guide to Performance Evaluation of Vendors (Stephen Bosch and Chris Sugnet). The proposal was approved, Janet will fill out form, Pam will pass it along to ALCTS Publications.

Foreign Book Dealers Directories (FBDD) Series Subcommittee

Kay Granskog reported that the input template created by ALA programming staff is working and most of the vendor addresses for Eastern Europe have been input. Scott Wicks will not be able to input the Africana vendors as planned. He has sent the data to Kay who will have it input at Michigan State University Libraries. Miriam Palm and Thelma Diercks are working on the Asia-Pacific data.

The group hopes to have its work completed by Annual 2006. At that point, the subcommittee will be disbanded and the publication will be coordinated by the AS Publication Committee. The subcommittee recommended giving someone on the AS Publication Committee responsibility for handling on-going maintenance of the publication. Miriam Palm has agreed to serve in this capacity for the first year. Kay reported on the progress of this publication to both the ALCTS Publications Committee and the ALCTS AS Publications Committee.

Kay Granskog reported on the Foreign Book Dealers Directory Online. Three committee members are inputting data. Kay has completed work on Eastern Europe, and will do also Africa. Miriam will handle Asia/Pacific. The committee and ALCTS Office are working to resolve some display issues. The committee wants to finish this work by Annual 2006. The subcommittee will write a press release to advertise the online directory, there will be an announcement in the ALCTS Newsletter Online, and AS Pubs will advertise on appropriate listservs. The committee needs a new semi-permanent committee member for the FBDD. Miriam Palm will be the first nominated for this position and will hopefully identify or nominate a replacement.

Pam Rebarcak will send a request to the ALCTS Office for an intern to be appointed to the committee.

There are issues with the AS Publications Web site. Christine Taylor requested that a committee member receive training for publishing, and Pam agreed to do it. The committee can propose some content changes to Christine. Janet Belanger Morrow suggested improving and adding more links to official paperwork, and Pam suggested adding links and/or summaries of Interest Groups and Discussion Groups to help new members decide what groups to join. The summaries should include minutes/reports of previous meetings and, when possible, agendas for the upcoming meetings.

The Support Staff Publications survey from the ALCTS Publications Committee was discussed. Janet and John McDonald will report on the discussion at the ALCTS Publications Committee meeting.

Research and Statistics Committee

The committee meeting was held on January 21, 2006. The committee members who participated in the meeting were Michael Norman (chair) (University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign), Marlene Slough (Eastern Illinois University), Ann Doyle (University of Kentucky), Regina Beach (Texas A&M—Kingston), Sandhya Srivastava (Hofstra University). Norene Allen from Swets International was not able to attend.

The committee expressed lots of thanks and accolades for Sha Li Zhang, previous chair of the Acquisitions Section Committee on Research and Statistics. The committee will send an official letter of thanks to Sha Li for all the hard work and success achieved with the ALA Annual 2005 program “Why Can’t Johnnie and Jane Get Published: Part 2, Research Methodologies.” The committee reviewed evaluations from the 2005 program. The overall responses were very positive. Many individuals liked the interactive aspect of the program, which allowed the audience to participate in designing a research plan for publication. The speakers, including Trisha Davis, Peggy Johnson, Barbara Moran, and Claudia J. Gollop, were well received and described as being well prepared and enthusiastic about the getting audience involved with quantitative research. Suggestions for distributing copies of the Power Point presentations, more details about research methods, and expanding on the editing process will be addressed in the next program.

The committee voted to work on Part 3 of the “Why Can’t Johnnie and Jane Get Published” series. The program proposal will be completed by the deadline, and work will begin in order to present the program at ALA Annual 2007. The program will be called “Why Can’t Johnnie and Jane Get Published: Part 3, Basics of Survey Research.” It will consist of two segments: 1. Building the survey, designing the instrument, tools to collect data, statistical analysis, etc.; and 2. a panel of editors will reveal what they look for when quantitative articles are submitted. The program will be interactive, with the audience breaking up into smaller groups to create a mock research survey. Over the next few months, committee members will identify perspective speakers with expertise in quantitative research. The committee members recommend to Acquisitions Section Executive Committee that possible co-sponsors could include other ALA committees and roundtables, and publishers of journals that cover quantitative research in library and information science, such as Elsevier, ACRL, Haworth, and Emerald. The committee members will continue working on the program via email and will set up a conference call in March 2006 to ensure the program proposal will be completed by the deadline. The committee will also work to plan a smaller program for ALA Annual 2008.

The committee discussed the ALCTS Strategic Plan. Members felt it was well constructed and exemplified what direction ALCTS should take in the future. There was a suggestion to add a bullet point about recruiting new librarians to ALCTS, and contacting graduate programs to promote involvement in ALCTS committees.

Technology Committee

The committee considered program topics for the 2007 Annual Conference in Washington, D.C. Several ideas were proposed, and the one that generated the most interest was a program along the lines of “Tales from the Front,” which would offer several various scenarios of times when technology and acquisitions departments met head on with varying results. The scenarios would be solicited from a wide variety of libraries of differing types and sizes which would hopefully foster a broader interest from other groups, such as Public Libraries. Hopes were high that a cross section or division co-sponsorship could be arranged.

In keeping with Trish Davis’ thoughts concerning maintaining a steady stream of programs and program ideas, two other alternate programs remained on the committee’s list. One possible topic was an examination the interface between campus or institutional accounting systems, such as PeopleSoft, and libraries ILS systems. In addition, there was a discussion concerning the idea of going entirely paperless, with a focus on scanning paper invoices and receipts into some sort of acquisitions ERM. Both ideas are still considered worthy of merit.

The committee realizes that technology is such a dynamic and ever-changing concept, and that presenting topics and programs for an Annual Conference must be done with care, to ensure that the program is not out of date before it is presented.

Back to Top

Cataloging and Classification Section (CCS)

Cataloging: Asian and African Materials Committee (CC:AAM)

The minutes of the June, 2005, meeting in Chicago were approved with minor modifications.

One of the major focus areas of CC:AAM is the drafting of the new cataloging code, Resource Description and Access ( RDA), by the Joint Steering Committee (JSC). The CC:AAM liaison to CC:DA, Keiko Suzuki, reported on that committee’s work in reviewing RDA, pt. 1. At the June, 2005, meeting, CC:AAM voted to form an RDA task force to review the drafts from the point of view of the five area studies groups that we represent. The task force, chaired by Hideyuki Morimoto, will gather the feedback of the twelve members of the task force, formulate a written report, and present our findings to CC:DA, in cooperation with Keiko Suzuki. At least two members from each of CC:AAM’s five study areas sit on the task force.

CC:AAM has organized a panel discussion on the Program for Cooperative Cataloging (PCC) to be presented on Saturday, June 24, 2006 in New Orleans, 8:00 a.m.-10:00 a.m. The presentation has been approved by the Program Committee and has the silent sponsorship of PCC. The committee is searching for additional co-sponsors. The program will consist of four panelists: James Lin for East Asia (on the topic of SACO), Joyce Bell for the Middle East (on NACO and the funnel project), Andrea Stamm for Africa (on BIBCO), and Steve Shadle for all studies areas (on CONSER). The panel will be moderated by Ana Lupe Cristán. Each of the panelists will speak for about ten minutes, leaving the majority of the time for discussion and audience participation. The goal of the presentation is to encourage interest and participation in PCC. The program will be advertised through the area studies programs, the co-sponsoring organization(s), and by word of mouth.

CC:AAM has a long-term concern in promoting Unicode to facilitate the use of traditional scripts in online bibliographic and authority records. David Nelson reported on his continuing literature survey for Unicode. Shi Deng attended the Automated Vendors Industry Advisory Committee ( AVIAC) meeting of software vendors and reported no new developments on Unicode. However, there are vendors working on non-Roman language scripts for commercial distribution, which may not be compatible with North American bibliographic databases.

Several shorter items were discussed in the meeting. There is no progress on the DDC proposal for Indonesian provinces. The Islamic law LCSH is currently under review by the Middle East Librarians Association (MELA) Cataloging Committee. Romanization tables for Central Asian languages are in progress and will soon be posted on the LC Web site. There has been no feedback from the Slavica librarians group for this Romanization. The November 2005, MELA/Africana Librarians Council joint meeting on communication among area associations was promising, but there were no specifics. Interest was expressed in June, 2005 in Chicago on a critique of LC 670 citations of Internet reference sources, and additional volunteers were requested.

Since the CC:AAM meeting time was shortened from three hours to two hours, organizational reports were accepted electronically. Among these were: the area studies organizations, LC, and OCLC. Since there is no longer an RLG liaison, there was no RLG report.

Cataloging: Description and Access Committee (CC:DA)

CC:DA held three meetings in San Antonio. The major business at all of these meetings was discussion of the draft of Part 1 of Resource Description and Access (RDA) issued by the Joint Steering Committee for the Revision of AACR2 (JSC) in mid-December 2005, except for Chapter 3 (Area 5), which was issued by JSC on January 19, 2006. The draft was prepared by the new editor of RDA, Tom Delsey, in consultation with the JSC. This is the second version of the draft of Part I; the first draft of Part I was discussed by CC:DA at ALA Midwinter 2005. Part 1 of RDA covers description, and consists of general rules plus sections of supplementary rules for specific types of content and for specific types of media. This second draft of Part I is available on the public JSC Web site for all interested persons and stakeholders to read, unlike the first draft; ALA members who are not members of CC:DA may make comments on this second draft via the ALCTS Web site, by filling in a comments form by February 7: https://cs.ala.org/alcts/rda_form/rda_form.cfm

Consideration of the draft of Part I began at a CC:DA meeting on Friday, January 20 and was primarily a discussion of overview comments for the draft as a whole, and on chapters 0, 1, and the first fourth of chapter 2. Based on requests made by CC:DA members, at the Friday evening CCS Exec meeting, the CC:DA chair asked CCS to planning for the implementation of RDA; this work will begin by determining was planned for the AACR2 implementation, and seeing how much of that plan the United States cataloging community may use to implement RDA. At CC:DA’s Saturday meeting, the ALA representative to the JSC presented a summary of JSC’s work on RDA. The Friday discussion of the draft continued at the Monday morning CC:DA meeting, where major topics of discussion were the remaining three-fourths of Chapter 2, Appendix D (ISBD guidelines), and procedure for commenting by members on a groupware software (hosted by the CC:DA chair’s employing institution, University of California, Santa Barbara), called “Confluence.” All CC:DA comments on the draft (except Chapter 3) must be posted to Confluence by February 7, 2006; comments on Chapter 3 must be posted by February 14, 2006. The official ALA response is due to the JSC on March 20, 2006.

In addition to the discussion of the Part 1 draft, the following reports were presented: ALA Publishing Services (Donald Chatham); Library of Congress (Dr. Barbara Tillett); a report from the Task Force on Rules for Technical Description of Digital Media (Greta De Groat); a report from a CCS task force planning a preconference on Cataloging Cultural Objects (Matthew Beacom) for the 2006 Annual Conference ; a report from the MARBI Representative (Everett Allgood; report presented by John Attig); a report from CC:DA Web master (John Attig); a report from the Task Force that maintains “Differences Between, Changes Within” (Kevin Randall) ; a report from a Task Force for the Revision of the ALCTS Online Publication, “Guidelines for Cataloging Microform Sets”; and a report from the Task Force to Review the Draft Functional Requirements for Authority Records (Schmierer). The latter task force has completed its work, and therefore it has been discharge. The last motion was a resolution honoring Ed Glazier (Ex Officio representative to CC:DA, representing RLG), for his twenty-five years of service to CC:DA.

For further details and links to the documents, see the agenda for the meeting at: www.libraries.psu.edu/tas/jca/ccda/agen0601.html.

Cataloging of Children’s Materials Committee

The publication of Cataloging Correctly for Kids, fourth edition, marked an important goal for the committee. Early reviews of the book are favorable.

The committee’s next project is a preconference at the 2006 Annual meeting in New Orleans, entitled, “Cataloging Correctly for Kids: Tools of our Trade.” The group is prepared for the program and is excited about it. There was also discussion of presenting a program at the 2007 Annual meeting in Washington, D.C. that would explore children’s cataloging resources in the electronic age. The Web publication, “Online Resources for Children’s Cataloging” is almost complete, and should be available by the 2006 Annual Conference.

In the discussion of the ALCTS Strategic Plan, 2006-2011, the group agreed that the committee’s mission fits well into the Strategic Plan. The only comment made is that, while there is emphasis on continuing education, the MLS degree should be mentioned as the basis on which the continuing education builds.

Continuing Education Training Materials

The Joint CCS/PCC Committee on Continuing Education Training Materials did not meet. The meeting was cancelled after discovering that all but 2 of the members had conflicting meetings and all agreed that the committee business could be conducted via e-mail. Cynthia Whitacre, Chair of CCS was consulted, and she agreed that this was the correct thing to do. Below is the agenda for the meeting with the report and/or decisions to date.

Michael Colby, Chair of the working group charged with updating the Basic LCSH workshop materials, turned in a disc with the Phase I corrections. The corrections were mainly of the editorial/cosmetic changes with some amplification of phrases, notes, etc. in order to clarify the intent of the slides and exercises. This disc will be forwarded to the Cataloging Distribution Service for their use in updating the workshop materials. The working group will continue working on Phase 2 of the updates that will consist of expansion of the current materials as well as substituting new and/or better examples. Work on this Phase is expected to end by June 2006.

There was discussion on what should done with the basic name authority/title workshop modules that have been labeled as inappropriate as they appear to suggest a bias toward certain ILS vendors, etc. (e.g., form a group to revise those materials too? Contract an individual?). An e-mail discussion on this topic preceded the meeting with the agreement from the committee members that it was not fair to scrap the 2 modules in question before they could be reviewed by others. It was felt that indeed it was ALCTS desire to include an authority module for reference and systems librarians, and if the modules were not suitable in their present state, they should be modified to suit. The Chair of the task group on the Creation of Name/Title Authorities did not include any changes to these modules in the final updates. The Chair of the CETM has since discussed the possibility of one of the trainers using the material for an upcoming workshop with a view to assessing the usefulness of the modules and what if any changes should be made to make these modules more useful and less biased.

There were additional items/new business. The committee will discuss a procedures document from the Cataloger’s Learning Workshop (CLW) group that outlines costs and presents guidelines for selecting candidates for Train-the-Trainer workshops for the joint ALCTS/PCC task group committees. It is expected that any suggestions from the CETM will be passed on as an “amicus brief” to the CLW to help inform their decision.

Because it is foreseen that the same scheduling problem will occur at Annual Conference, the Chair of the CETM will attempt to change the schedule from Sunday to Saturday at the same time.

Education, Training, and Recruitment for Cataloging Committee

Karen Letarte reported on the ALCTS Education Summit which was held on Friday. CETRC will be asked to draft list of core and emerging competencies for catalog librarians, based on discussions at the summit.

The draft of the "Cataloging Recruitment Toolkit" was approved by the CCS Executive Committee, with the exception that CETRC was asked to provide a different title. The committee brainstormed ideas of words and ideas to incorporate into the title that would better reflect the contents and attract the intended audience. A new title, "Careers in Cataloging and Metadata Creation: Information, Tools, and Resources" was approved.

The Preconference Subcommittee reported on a successful meeting with the Program Committee. The full-day preconference on competencies for beginning catalog librarians will be held prior to the 2007 Annual Meeting in Washington, D.C., and will be co-sponsored by ALISE and the Library of Congress.

A test version of the Mentoring database is now running, and the Mentoring Subcommittee hopes to be able to begin recruiting a new class of mentors and mentees soon.

The Continuing Education Subcommittee will soon distribute a survey on continuing education needs for catalogers. Three people are developing the curriculum for the Fundamentals of Cataloging Web course.

Policy and Planning Committee

The CCS Policy and Planning Committee distributed a questionnaire to four CCS discussion groups to review their charges: Cataloging and Classification Research, Map Cataloging, Cataloging Norms, and Catalog Management. Committee liaisons contacted the chairs to offer assistance and, when possible, attended the discussion group meetings at Midwinter. Questionnaires are due back by March 1, 2006. The chair of Policy and Planning sent a draft of the ALCTS Strategic Plan 2006-2011 to all CCS chairs for feedback. Policy and Planning discussed the draft plan and will submit comments to the ALCTS Planning Committee. The committee also reviewed and updated CCS initiatives in the Tactical Planning database, and added liaison coverage to the new CCS/PCC Joint Committee on Continuing Education Training Materials.

Research and Publications Committee

Based on ALCTS CCS Exec’s recommendation for consistent citation style within the committee’s essays, the PRC member discussed what style to use. The committee adapted the “the author-date style.” The committee revised the three essays and sent them to Narda Tafuri who forwarded them to Christine Taylor and Julie Reese to make them available on the ALCTS Web site.

The Committee discussed the last year’s recommendations of three ALCTS pubs that either need to be retired or revised:

  • Policy & Practice in Bibliographic Control of Nonbook Media (1987) and recommended that it be retired from publication;
  • Subject Authorities in the Online Environment (1991) and recommended that it be retired from publication;
  • Origins, Content and Future of AACR2 (1992) and recommended that it be reissued for publication.

The recommendations were accepted but no action was taken to update the ALCTS list of publications. Magda El-Sherbini will pursue this.

The “Cataloging Recruitment Toolkit,” a Web publication produced by the ALCTS CCS Committee on Education, Recruitment and Training for Cataloging (CETRC) was approved with a minor change in the title to reflect the document contents.

Oksana Kraus, Chair of Cataloging of Children's Materials Committee, attended the RPC meeting to discuss the ALCTS Web publication, “Resources for Catalogers of Children’s Materials.” The RPC approved the document with minor editing.

The AS ALCTS Program “Why Can’t Johnnie and Jane Get Published: Part 2, Research Methodologies,” that was offered at the Annual meeting in Chicago, was sponsored by RPC sponsored for the second time, was successful. Magda El-Sherbini and RPC ex-member Brian Surratt were liaisons with the AS and helped to prepare handouts and other assignments.

The committee discussed the January 4, 2006 draft of the ALCTS strategic plan. Members responded positively to selected bullet points in the draft but were not enthusiastic about the draft as a whole, finding it overly static and generic. It was noted that the terms “strategic plan” and “goals” suggest a forward-looking orientation, whereas the draft is written in the present tense and sets no specific benchmarks to be achieved. Recommendations from RPC will be forwarded to ALCTS.

The committee discussed writing another three essays on: Electronic resources, Metadata, and vendor records and cataloging issues.

The committee discussed the revision of other three ALCTS publications:

  • Aggregation or Aggravation? Optimizing Access to Full-Text Journals (Web publication; 2000)
  • Virtually Yours: Models for Managing Electronic Resources &
    Services
  • Format Integration & Its Effects on Cataloging, Training, &
    Systems
    (1993)

The committee also discussed the possibility of creating an RPC program. Suggestions included grant writing, funding and survey. The members of the committee were enthusiastic about this idea. The committee will continue the discussion via email.

Subject Analysis Committee

Actions taken:

1) Voted to approve the nomination of an ARLIS/NA representative to SAC

2) Voted to extend the life of the SAC Subcommittee on Semantic Interoperability until Annual 2006

3) Submitted a draft of the CSS Policy on Eligibility of SAC Representatives to the CCS Executive Committee for approval

Representatives, liaisons and committee chairs presented reports on the activities of the groups they represent.

Lynn El-Hoshy, Representative from the Cataloging Policy and Support Office (CPSO) of the Library of Congress (LC), announced that the cataloging staff from the Moving Picture Image section of the Motion Picture, Broadcast & Recorded Sound division and specialists from CPSO have begun a project to analyze genre/form terms from the Moving Image Genre-Form Guide ( MIGFG) and Moving Image Materials: Genre Terms (MIM) and to reconcile the terminology with LCSH. The goal is to move as much of MIGFG into LCSH as possible and to indicate whether terms are to be used as topics (subject authority records tagged as 150) or genre/form headings (subject authority records tagged as 155). SAC discussed establishing a subcommittee to analyze the issues involved in establishing 155 authority records for genre/form terms in LCSH. The committee will attempt to develop a charge for such a subcommittee before Annual 2006 and then recruit members of the subcommittee at Annual.

Ed O’Neill of OCLC reported on the status of the FAST project (Faceted Application of Subject Terminology) in conjunction with the report of the SAC Subcommittee on FAST.

John Mitchell, a SAC member, reported on the first SACO-At-Large meeting. Topics discussed at this meeting are of great interest to SAC, but unfortunately the meeting was held in the same time slot as the Sunday morning SAC meeting. John expressed the hope that after Annual 2006, it would be possible to move the SACO-At-Large meeting to another time slot so that people interested in topics related to subject analysis and classification could attend both meetings.

The following progress was made toward achievement of ALCTS Strategic Plan objectives:

  • Publish Spanish-speaking User and Subject Analysis Program Papers: Publication is anticipated for August, 2006.
  • Present LCC Training Materials Program: The program on LCC Training Materials is scheduled for Annual 2006.
  • Present FAST Program: The FAST program is scheduled for Annual 2006.

Back to Top

Collection Management and Development Section (CMDS)

Administration of Collection Development

Action items from the previous meeting were discussed. Sally Wilsson Weimer asked committee members if they were interested in developing one of the ideas suggested at the previous meeting (the impact of e-resources on collection development) into a project. A discussion on the topic could be sponsored, or a list of possible resources might be created. After discussion, the consensus of the committee was that the topic seemed too broad. Sally suggested another project might be to do a follow up to the Use Measures for Electronic Sources/State of Standards Program that was held at ALA Annual. People liked the program and are often want to know best use measures. The committee could possibly partner with collection development discussion groups or create a bibliography as part of a continuing education effort. Consultation with Albert Joy about what he did for the program was suggested. Brian Quinn described a project he had recently worked on as chair of the ACRL/EBSS Social Work/Social Welfare Committee. The committee created a Social Work Selector’s Toolbox that consists of a collection of resources of potential use to social work selectors in developing their collections. Unlike a paper bibliography, the Toolbox is a Web-based collection available on the committee’s Web page: www.lib.msu.edu/corby/ebss/socialwork/toolbox.html

The tool permits easy revision and updates. Brian suggested that the committee do something similar, with a focus on administration of collection development. A first step might be to make sure that there is no current bibliography available on the administration of collection development. Another consideration would be whether it is possible to publish it on the Web. Sally offered inquire at the ALCTS Executive Committee meeting if ALCTS would consider a Web project to be a publication. The question of whether the committee would need to consult with the Publications Committee was raised. Kathy Tezla noted that ALCTS does not have a strong Web presence and we need to make all our work available to the public. Linda Phillips mentioned that Mary Beth Weber is the new editor of the ALCTS Newsletter Online, and the bibliography could be published in ANO. The bibliography could include examples of best practices. If benchmarks are made available via the Web, administrators can be referred to this information. Administration of collection development is a broad topic and could include budgeting, selection, training, etc.

A means to create a stronger Web presence for the committee was discussed. In ACRL sections such as Education and Behavioral Sciences and Anthropology and Sociology, each committee has it own Web presence. The committee should serve as a clearinghouse for this material. The committee turned its attention to what should be included in the Toolbox. Each committee member volunteered to work on a section: Kathy Tezla chose training; Susan Szaz Palmer will handle administration and organizational structure; Susanne Clement volunteered to work on measurement; Sally Willson Weimer will cover assessment; Brian Quinn will work on selection; and John Vickery will handle the section on allocation and budgets. Drafts are due by April 1. Colleagues may be consulted regarding resources.

The tentative meeting day and time for the ALA Annual Conference, New Orleans was set for Sunday, 8:00 a.m.-10:00 a.m.

Collection Development and Electronic Media Committee

With a nearly entirely new committee in attendance, this meeting focused on introductions and brainstorming about future directions. The committee is not planning a program for the upcoming annual conference, but will look plan one for Washington, D.C. in 2007.

After discussing the committee’s charge, various ideas for programs were discussed. Among those, the most promising was the idea of creating a program that addresses issues surrounding the implementation of digital institutional repositories and their relation to collection development policies and activities.

The committee will do some outreach to other groups within ALA with similar interests. This will include, but is not limited to, RUSA/CODES, LAMA, LITA, PLA and ACRL/CJCLS. The latter two being particularly important to the committee, as the current committee composition is heavily biased towards large academic institutions.

The committee’s discussion of the draft ALCTS Strategic Plan centered on the lack of specificity of the plan and the ambiguity of some of the areas.

Education Committee

For the first hour, the Education Committee met jointly with the Quantitative Measures Committee to finalize details for the June 2006 Program, "Collection Assessment--Best Practices in the 21st Century."

The agenda for the remainder of the meeting consisted of an update on the progress for the development of the Fundamentals of Collection Management course, discussion of a preconference or program for Annual 2007 in Washington, D.C., and discussion of the ALCTS Strategic Plan.

Ellen Derey Safley will take the lead in preparing a proposal for a preconference or program for the 2007 Annual Conference. The working title for the proposal is “Planning Your Next Library? Consider Your Collection Needs for the 21st Century.” Ellen will contact someone within LAMA to see if there is interest in co-sponsoring such a program.

The Education Summit produced a list of collections competencies that need to be reviewed and refined by the committee. The goal is to have the competencies list finalized by Annual 2006 and identify potential continuing education opportunities.

Policy and Planning Committee

The two committee members present discussed the proposed ALCTS Strategic Plan and made suggestions. The suggestion was forwarded to Ven Basco, CMDS Representative to the ALCTS Planning Committee

CMDS Executive Board meeting times were discussed. It was suggested that the Executive Board meets during the second hour of the all-committee meeting to plan and discuss issues and trends.

A suggestion was made to solicit interest in running for office from members before inviting people to run.

The committee will examine memberships and programming of RUSA and ACRL collections-related sections to see if CMDS can fill the roles that these groups do not fill. The following questions were raised: Where do we overlap? Where are we unique?

Publications Committee

The status of the approved Sudden Selector Series guides was reviewed. The business guide is now scheduled for manuscript submission by the end of January 2006. The children's literature guide has been delayed until May 2006. The art guide is behind schedule and there is not an updated submission date. The author has completed two and a half chapters, and the committee will request those for review. The chemistry guide is still on schedule for manuscript submission in April 2006.

New authors for additional Sudden Selector guides were discussed, and committee will follow up to begin formal proposal process.

The follow up with a potential author on an informal proposal for working with your acquisitions department did not end in results. The committee feels that the publication would still be of value and will pursue as a joint publication with the Acquisitions Section.

The committee reviewed a list of past CMDS publications and decided that the three oldest should be considered for revision. One guide ( Guide for Writing a Collection Development Manual) may be combined with another past CMDS publication and will be updated. The Guide to the Evaluation of Library Collections will be updated and a call for authors will be forthcoming. A third guide ( Guide to Budget Allocation for Information Resources) will be further reviewed in order to determine if it has already been updated, but under a different title.

Quantitative Measures for Collection Management Committee

The committee met jointly for an hour with the CMDS Education committee and Peggy Johnson, an invited guest, to discuss planning for the Collection Assessment program scheduled for the 2006 ALA Annual meeting. Tasks related to the program were discussed and assigned to various members,

The Quantitative Measures Committee met in the second hour to discuss the draft of a new charge and the proposal to rename the committee to “Collection Assessment.” Members also reviewed the ALCTS Strategic Plan and recommended changes to be forwarded to ALCTS.

Back to Top

Serials Section (SS)

Continuing Resources Cataloging Committee

The committee discussed logistics relating to their Task Force for the Review of RDA Documents, discussed the ALCTS Strategic Plan 2006-2011, and began discussing possible speakers for the update forum at Annual 2006 in New Orleans.

The Monday update forum had a very ambitious and interesting agenda. The first topic was RDA. Jennifer Bowen and Marjorie Bloss gave an update on RDA, and Kevin Randall gave a CC:DA report, which was primarily about RDA. The next speaker was Les Hawkins, who gave a CONSER report, and also discussed a proposal to authenticate OCLC e-serial records which were created as part of the OCLC E-holdings pilot. Regina Reynolds gave the LC report, the ISSN/NSDP report, and a report on the developing access level record for serials. The final speaker was Andrew Shroyer, who shared the results of an informal opinion survey about access to serials across title changes.

There were 118 people in the audience, and they seemed to be very much interested in all of the topics. It is regrettable that there was no more time for more questions after each of the presentations.

Education

The committee discussed revision of Syllabus for Serials Collection Management, Records Systems, and Preservation Teaching and Training. The committee has agreed that this syllabus should be withdrawn and replaced by 2 new syllabi: Serials Management (Print and Electronic) and Serials Preservation and Archiving. Committee members accepted assignments to work on the new syllabi. A request will be made for a consultant from PARS to be appointed to assist with the Serials Preservation and Archiving syllabus. The PARS chair will be contacted to identify a possible candidate to propose to the Serials Section Executive Committee. The chair will submit the appropriate forms to the ALCTS Publications Committee.

It was agreed at Annual 2005 that “Unraveling the Mysteries of Serials” (1996) should be withdrawn. The chair has submitted the Publication Review Form requesting removal of the document from the ALCTS Web site to the chair of the ALCTS Publications Committee.

The planning process for a program on “Electronic Serials 101” for the 2007 annual conference in Washington, D.C. has begun. It will be aimed at a beginner-intermediate audience, and will explore some of the main questions to be addressed in areas such as acquisitions, cataloging, access methods, licensing, and troubleshooting. The committee will further develop and present a program proposal at the 2006 annual conference in New Orleans.

The draft of the ALCTS Strategic Plan 2006-2011, and a draft of “Expectations for Instructor Development” for training Cataloger’s Learning Workshop instructors were reviewed.

The committee has been advised that we will be receiving a request to review “Guidelines for Handling Serial Orders” (a print publication).

The next meeting will be on Saturday, June 24, from 8:00 a.m.-10:00 a.m. in New Orleans.

Policy and Planning

Emily McElroy’s name needs to be removed from the committee roster and the listserv as she is no longer a member of this committee by virtue of her election to the Serials Section Executive Board as Chair-Elect. It is assumed that a replacement will not be appointed to take her place this cycle. Eleanor Cook has requested to be reappointed as Chair next cycle since she is now filling in Ann Doyle Fath’s term for one year.

Tschera Connell reported as Liaison to the ALCTS Planning Committee. Eleanor also briefly attended that committee’s meeting on Sunday. The Strategic Plan draft was discussed. Opinions and reactions to be forwarded to Helen Reed. Committee members will remind other Serials Section committee chairs reminding them to give feedback on the Strategic Plan draft to Helen Reed by February 10.

The committee’s charge was reviewed, and discussed its purpose. The committee is currently focused on supporting activities surrounding the Strategic Plan, and there are other responsibilities that need to be addressed in the future. In particular, it is this committee’s responsibility to review all committees and discussion groups within the Section on a regular basis.

Another responsibility that was identified is the process of soliciting and establishing constituencies that are not covered by current committees and discussion groups. One such example is the Digital and Metadata Interest Group.

In a larger context, the committee is charged with bringing new policy issues to the Section. After a brainstorming session, it was decided that this group could help the Section redefine itself. This discussion will continue via the committee’s listserv, and section leaders will be approached in order to determine what next steps we might want to consider.

Research and Publications

The committee signed off on the form to remove Unraveling the Mysteries of Serials from the Web site and approved a request from Michelle Sitko for an extension of time for Guidelines for Managing Microforms in the Digital Age to Annual Conference 2007, with interim reports.

The Serials Acquisitions Glossary , third edition, revised, has been mounted as a PDF file available on the ALCTS home page. The committee would also like to see it listed on the Serials Section portion of the site.

After discussion of her proposal for a Web-based collection of biographies of serials pioneers and leaders, Connie Foster decided to withdraw it and work on it as a personal project.

The committee discussed the document on the Cataloger’s Learning Workshop Expectations for Instructor Development, but had no comments.

The committee discussed the ALCTS Web site and the problems members have with it. Anne Mitchell will take comments to the committee that is considering a redesign of the site.

The list of Serials Section publications for review was discussed. A better way to track publications is needed, including information on a publication’s current status, date of last review, when it should next be reviewed, etc. Jill Emery visited the table and reported that the Education Committee’s plans to replace the Syllabus for Serials Collection Management, Records Systems, and Preservations Units with two new ones. A copy of the review form for Guidelines for Handling Library Orders, dated 2004, will be forwarded to the Education Committee.

Serials Standards Committee

The committee continued with preparation for the Serials Standards Update Forum, which will take place at Annual 2006. A program subcommittee chair was chosen to lead preparations for the update forum for Annual 2007. A subcommittee chair was chosen to provide leadership during the revision of the Web document, Ser ials Standards Bibliography. The committee also discussed the ALCTS Strategic Plan for 2006-2011, and prepared comments to forward to the Planning Committee Chair.

Union List of Serials Committee

Myrtle Myers of OCLC updated the committee on OCLC’s retirement of Passport for Union List and the enhancement of the Connexion browser to support local holdings maintenance. The discussion included: OCLC’s use of MARC 21 Format for Holdings (including setting the defaults for the 008 byte 20 (Lending Policy) and byte 21 (Reproduction Policy)) for serial records as 'won't lend' but 'will copy'); the conversion of OCLC’s holdings records; MFHD file output; printable files of holdings output; and the import/export of holdings by libraries. The update was followed by a discussion of the role the committee should play in promoting the efficient and effective use of union listing.

The committee will develop a resource page which includes an explanation of the importance of union listing, a description of an ideal union listing world, and links to resources for and about union listing and MARC 21 Format for Holdings. The committee also considered how its efforts could be refocused and recruitment of new members. These efforts all support ALCTS’ efforts to promote the development and use of both standards and best practices.