ALCTS Committees Report from Chicago

Below are brief abstracts of the activities of ALCTS committees during the 2005 ALA Annual Conference, June 24–29 in Chicago, based on reports received by the editor as of August 1, 2005. Committee contact information for committee chairs and members may be found on the ALCTS Organization menu on the ALCTS home page; in addition, some committees post minutes and other documents pertinent to their work on their Web pages.

For information on committees not listed below, go to the ALCTS Organization menu and follow the links through to the appropriate section.

   

Division | Council of Regional Groups | Acquisitions Section | Cataloging and Classification Section | Collection Management and Development Section | Preservation and Reformatting Section | Serials Section

Division Committees

    ALCTS/AAP Joint Committee
A committee self-evaluation report has been submitted to the ALCTS Board. Based on that document the ALCTS Executive Director has begun the process to change the structure of the AAP/ALCTS committee. It is hoped that the changes will provide a broader representation within the committee and will allow a more flexible and responsive collaboration between ALCTS and AAP. The proposed changes must go through the appropriate ALA channels for approval. It is hoped that the changes will be in place for the July 2006 appointment cycle.

The Authors@YourLibrary site is up and running! It was being demonstrated during the ALA Conference at the Friends of Libraries USA (FOLUSA) booth. It also has been exhibited at the 2005 Day of Dialog and Book Expo, and 89 libraries are in the database. The Publishers Love Libraries initiative during the past year has supported the New York Library Association's campaign to stabilize funds for New York libraries. The group sent baskets of books to the New York State legislators to emphasize the economic relationship between libraries and publishers.

All present agreed that it was not practical to plan future programs until committee changes are approved. The group then discussed ideas for future meetings.

Paul Banks and Carolyn Harris Award Jury

Did not meet during the 2005 Annual Conference. The award was presented as part of the ALCTS Awards Ceremony on Sunday, June 26.

The Blackwell’s Scholarship Award Jury

Did not meet during the 2005 Annual Conference. The award was presented as part of the ALCTS Awards Ceremony on Sunday, June 26.

Budget and Finance

Met twice at the 2005 Annual Conference in Chicago. At the 2004 Annual Conference, Budget and Finance had recommended reducing ALCTS Office staff, increasing membership dues, and increasing LRTS subscription fees, in order to meet annual budget obligations without dipping further into the ALCTS reserve funds. The ALCTS Board of Directors approved these recommendations in Orlando; consequently, Executive Director Charles Wilt the committee discussed the impact these three steps have had on the 2005 budget. For the first time in several years, membership dues are meeting the operations costs associated with the ALCTS Office, and LRTS is showing a net profit. The 2005 conference revenue and expenses in Chicago will determine whether ALCTS meets its budget or goes slightly into red ink.

Positive changes seen in the 2005 budget include unexpected, onsite registrations for preconferences. The plan to hold all preconferences in the same location appears to be a real cost savings. Memberships have increased slightly despite the dues increase. The Fundraising Committee has been doing very well, and several donations that had been promised earlier were received in May 2005. Concerns include exorbitant audiovisual costs in Chicago, and Wilt discussed the idea of purchasing a computer projector for ALCTS, in an effort to reduce AV costs. All of these issues were discussed with the three ALCTS presidents at Budget and Finance Committee’s Sunday meeting. Based on these discussions, Budget and Finance will discuss increments to the division’s reserve fund. If net revenues are received, should our reserve be built up, or should funds be used for other purposes, such as funding ALCTS representatives' attendance at IFLA?

A revised 2006 budget has been submitted. At a recent meeting of ALCTS unit heads, Wilt recommended that ALA establish a three– to five-year overhead rate instead of a year-to-year assessment. If this is acted upon, it will make budgeting much easier at the division level. The revised 2006 budget shows a positive ending balance. Budget and Finance agreed to recommend the budget to the ALCTS Board of Directors for approval on Monday.

Two trustees from the ALA Endowment attended the Sunday B&F meeting to discuss its status. Robert Newlen reported that there is over $23 million in the ALA endowment, and thanks to investments in real estate and a reduced management fee from Merrill Lynch, the investments are doing much better, while costing the association less than in the past. Newlen mentioned that some divisions are developing future funds for division awards and activities by banking returns from conferences or net revenue at the end of year.

Budget and Finance discussed several options for determining when to raise dues and raise LRTS subscription fees. It was agreed that the Consumer Price Index might not be the best measure for this determination. The committee agreed to delay recommending further increases in LRTS subscription rates until a full year of data has been received. Mechanisms will be discussed again at Midwinter and between conferences.

The chair reported on the discussion of the ALCTS Board of Directors, and with chair of Membership, Cheryl Smith, regarding reduced division dues for members who designate themselves are retired. Both committees agreed that an impact study is needed before agreeing to a reduced fee rate for retirees. The chair also reported on the meeting of a committee planning a 50th Anniversary celebration for the division and LRTS, and upon events and budget revenues and expenses that may be associated with the anniversary.

The ALA Planning and Budget Assembly, at which the chair represents ALCTS, discussed financial goals for meeting the new ALA Ahead to 2010 goals and objectives. Four new themes in the ALA goals were identified: local advocacy; ALA-APA or library personnel; strengthening international programs; and more services for members. Funding strategies noted were reallocating existing operating expenses; investing and developing product offerings to generation additional revenue; pursuing grant, foundation, and corporate funding; and, seeking approval for an ALA dues increase.

Education

Work is proceeding on the “Fundamentals of” Web course series. Relevant section education committees are charged with ensuring course development. Various modes of course development, from a single developer to a small committee, were discussed. The committee will work with the CCS Committee on Cataloging: Children's Materials to transform the content of Cataloging Correctly For Kids, 4th edition, into a series of web courses. The Education and Publications committees will work on revising forms proposing publications to include developers’ willingness to offer their content as a workshop, and vice versa for program proposals.

The committee discussed issues of publicizing both ALCTS continuing education offerings and affiliate chapter offerings more widely. The ALCTS Office was asked to assist by posting to the Web site or by using the ALCTS Newsletter Online.

More work will likely need to be done by the section education committees on the basic competencies in the ALCTS Educational Policy Statement, as further discussion occurs concerning ALCTS’ involvement in certification programs. The Committee plans to consider elements of a basic curriculum to support various certification programs in technical services.

Education requests that a half-day retreat be scheduled for Friday during Midwinter Meeting 2006, to discuss continuing education with relevant stakeholders (e.g., ALCTS Education, ALCTS Publications, ALCTS Programs, CRG/CRG Continuing Education Subcommittee).

Fundraising

Reviewed sponsorship spreadsheets for 2004–2005, the solicitation process, and committee successes and failures over the last year. It was agreed that a better division of labor needed to exist among committee members than the method used for the last several years. Assignments for solicitations were made based on having committee members solicit sponsorships for the programs that come out of the sections they represent. Other sponsorship solicitations, such as those needed for the forthcoming ALCTS and LRTS anniversaries and the ALCTS President's Program, will be divided among the committee as appropriate.

With the encouragement of ALCTS Executive Director Charles Wilt, the Committee reviewed the ALCTS sponsorship structure and began drafting a new structure based on selling exposure to ALCTS members. Such a structure would bring ALCTS more in line with fundraising practices in use by other professional associations, and that used by ACRL in their recent successful conference in Minneapolis.

The Committee also discussed the development of a more information-rich sponsor information system that, in addition to contact information, would contain better information about sponsors' giving history to ALCTS and specific programs and interests supported, notes about ALCTS members with a particularly strong relationship with a sponsor, and other notes that will help make the relationship with ALCTS and its sponsors sound regardless of the changes in membership of the Fundraising Committee.

There was also a discussion of the new “ALCTS Program Planners Guide.” The purpose of the Guide, developed by Charles Wilt in consultation with several ALCTS-wide committee chairs, is to ensure that high-quality programs are developed with appropriate financial support that is consistent with ALCTS and ALA policies.

International Relations

Discussed identifying links from international Web sites that could be linked to the ALCTS Web site. They will begin with English-language library association sites, then in the future assess and include non-English sites, collecting sites in three categories: other library associations (e.g., Canadian Library Association), international conferences, and book fairs.

They will link germane ISO standards to the ALCTS site and alert members to new standards, publicize international interchange opportunities in ANO, and contact the other divisions' international relations committees, to discuss issues of mutual interest.

The Committee reviewed the ALA Handbook entries for other division IRCs. While there are many similarities, ALCTS IRC is the only one that coordinates nominations of ALCTS members to IFLA standing committees and distributes funds in support of attendance of ALCTS representatives to IFLA committees. In order to foster involvement and give ALCTS reps to IFLA a chance to exchange information, IRC will invite the current ALCTS representatives to its Midwinter meeting for information discussion and information interchange. In addition, the IRC will discuss IFLA reports submitted by reps at all meetings. IRC will try to make the IFLA nominations process more transparent and widely known. The first step will be to review the nomination timetable, which the incoming chair will supply to IRC members.

Leadership Development

The program presented by Leadership Development, "Managing Across Generations: Traditionalists to Millennials," was attended by 300 people. The panel of four speakers represented not only the four generations currently in the workplace, but also a diverse set of library experiences in public, academic, special, and state and federal agency libraries in the areas of administration, collection development, and public services. A question and answer period followed the formal presentations. Based on the audience comments offered at the session and noted in the evaluation forms, the generational issue is definitely one that is of concern in the work lives of all the generations.

More than forty individuals participated in the ALCTS New Leaders Orientation held on Sunday morning that featured Carol Pitts Diedrichs, ALCTS President 2004/2005, Rosann Bazirjian, ALCTS President 2005/2006, Charles Wilt, ALCTS Executive Director, Miriam Palm, ALCTS Newsletter Online Editor, and chairs of six ALCTS division committees. Attendees offered written suggestions of how the content of the session could be further improved to meet their needs as new division and section committee chairs, new committee members, and newly elected section members-at-large and secretaries.

The proposed title for the committee’s program for the 2006 Annual Conference in New Orleans is “ALCTS and Continuing Education: How to Build a Successful CE Course.” The focus of the program is the development of continuing education components that are practical and timely. Key areas to be highlighted include Needs Assessment, Content Development, Instructional Technology/Delivery, Budget Analysis, and Marketing. The program is a cooperative venture with the ALCTS Education Committee.

LRTS Editorial Board

Peggy Johnson ( LRTS Editor) and Edward Swanson ( LRTS Book Review Editor) presented annual reports on their areas of responsibility. Johnson and ALCTS Papers Editor Pamela Bluh reported on the preconference "Writing for Publication" they staged that was cosponsored by the Publications Committee. Board members reported on their activities to generate submissions.

The committee discussed ideas for promoting LRTS and to celebrate the fiftieth anniversary of ALCTS and of LRTS. One committee member volunteered to prepare a historical review of LRTS. They also discussed the steps involved in moving LRTS to an electronic version of publication.

ALCTS/LITA/RUSA Machine-Readable Bibliographic Information (MARBI)

On its agenda, MARBI considered four proposals and discussed two reports:
  • Proposal 2005-4/R, Hierarchical Geographic Names in the MARC 21 Bibliographic Format, was approved, with some changes to some of the subfield names and descriptions and renaming $e through $g to be $f through $h (subfield $e for relator term was added as part of changes to proposal 2005-6).
  • Proposal 2005-6, Addition of Subfields for Relator Terms/Codes for Subject Access to Images, was approved with some changes, including the addition of a new subfield for relator term in field 611 and the addition of subfields $e and $4 to fields 654 and 662.
  • Proposal 2005-7, Revision of Subfield $b in Field 041 in the MARC 21 Format for Bibliographic Data, was approved. The subfield $b was redefined as "Language code of summary or abstract or subtitle." OLAC agreed to discuss whether it was desirable to consider establishing a new subfield to code for subtitles, as some thought that these are very different from summaries/abstracts.
  • Proposal 2005-8, Changes to Accommodate IAML Coded Data in Bibliographic Fields 008/18-19, 047 and 048, was partially approved, with some changes. MARBI approved the portion of the proposal dealing with field 048, with a change to define the second indicator position rather than the first.
MARBI discussed two reports on the use of MARC 21 with functional requirements for bibliographic records (FRBR) and on options for handling full Unicode character encodings in MARC 21. Several people said that they would try to experiment with using MARC 21 with FRBR and report back at Midwinter 2006. As part of the Unicode discussion, a motion was made and passed to disallow the use of the remaining PUA (Private Use Area) characters for ancient Korean Hangul. If any of these characters are documented as valid in the future they will be added to the Unicode repertoire and thus able to again be used.

MARBI discussed the changes to the conference schedule that go into effect at Midwinter 2006. Committee members expressed their dissatisfaction with the prescribed schedule, in particular the perceived assumption on the part of ALA Council that two-hour meetings are all that committees should need. Typically MARBI has scheduled three-hour meetings, and the new schedule no longer makes this possible. The committee feels that since it now has to schedule two two-hour slots with a forced half hour break in between, significant time will be wasted.

In response to a suggestion to schedule the meeting at 8 am but not begin until 9, the Chair replied that inevitably some people would show up because of the time printed in the ALA program, and that it was not good to have them find an empty room. The committee agreed not to try to circumvent the prescribed schedule, and the chair agreed to relate the Committee’s unhappiness with the new schedule to ALCTS leaders. In the end, the Committee agreed to request the following slots: Saturday 10:30 am–12:30 pm (or 12:00 at Annual), Sunday 1:30–3:30 pm and 4:00–6:00 (or 5:30 at Annual), and Monday 1:30–3:30 pm.

Membership

Discussed using the ALCTS Web site for students/career information; heard an update on activity at the ALCTS Booth; will continue to enhance its list of library school contacts; reviewed a support staff report; and discussed a possible program topic on Mentoring (Leadership Development) for 2006. Also discussed setting a division membership rate for retirees, and how ALCTS adds value to ALA.

Organization and Bylaws

Reviewed Creative Ideas in Technical Services discussion group, and agreed it should continue as a DG; reviewed the possible merger of Automated Acq/In Process and Pre-Order/Pre-Catalog discussion groups, but suggested they remain as presently constituted. Will be sending out for vote to the committee all of the proposed interest groups.

Planning

The major work of the Planning Committee was to continue to develop the ALCTS Strategic Plan 2006–2010. The Committee drafted the new plan, utilizing information from the ALCTS Leaders Planning Retreat at Annual Conference 2004, and ideas provided from Division leaders and members at Midwinter 2005. In addition, the Committee gathered information by conducting an environmental scan of strategic plans of organizations with which ALCTS and ALCTS’ members interact. A first draft of the Plan 2006–2010 including a revised mission and vision was presented to the Board. A revised draft will go out to ALCTS Leaders in October and to the entire ALCTS membership for comment preceding and during Midwinter 2006. The final plan will be approved at Annual Conference 2006.

The ALCTS Planning Committee will conduct a member survey late this summer to gather member input on priorities for ALCTS initiatives and efforts. Data from the survey will be incorporated into the Plan 2006-2010 before it is distributed to the Division leadership and members this fall.

As usual, Committee members will gather input from committees and discussion groups across the division to update the Strategic and Tactical Plan Database 2001–2006. The Strategic and Tactical Plan database is a valuable tool for use by the ALCTS Office staff as well as Section Officers and Division-level operational committees such as Publications and Budget & Finance. The Committee discussed new liaison assignments for members-at-large. Updates to the database should be submitted by August 15.

Program

Reviewed proposals for ALA Annual 2006 programs and preconferences. We recommended twelve programs and three preconferences to the ALCTS Board. We also discussed ideas for the ALCTS Forum to be held at Annual 2006, identified programs that would be suitable for Webcasting, and explored additional preconference ideas.

President’s Program

Met with 2006 ALCTS President Rosann Bazirjian to begin detailed planning for her program in New Orleans, with confirmed speaker Dr. David Levy on the topic “Seeking Silence and Sanctuary in a Technological World.” The proposal was presented to the Program Committee, who recommended bumping up projected attendance to 301-400. Topics of discussion included: possible adjacent open forum time slot on same topic, identifying a moderator, pros and cons of having a panel of respondents, importance of broad publicity plan for this general interest topic, possible sponsors, types of handouts, and need for evaluation form. The committee will continue to work on these issues via electronic mail and phone.

Publications

Initiated an informal discussion with the chair of the division Education Committee of possible cooperative ventures between the two committees. She will be copied on the future approval of publications. A line will be included [to be developed] on the ALCTS Publication Proposal form that will ask if authors are interested in developing the content of their publication for use in a course and/or workshop.

The chair of the ALCTS Newsletter Online Editor search committee informed the committee that two candidates for the position of ANO Editor had been interviewed and a name would be submitted to the ALCTS Board for approval.

The chair of the Ad Hoc Committee on Library Support Staff Publications reported on a survey his group developed with the assistance of the ALCTS Office that was sent via email to ALCTS members identifiable as support staff. Despite a very low response rate the committee developed the following recommendations: (1.) Develop a marketing plan based on existing ALCTS publications. ALCTS publications add value to membership. (2.) Involve support staff in review and revision of publications. Solicit their input on publications they think should be reviewed. Twelve respondents provided contact information and could serve as a starting point. (3.) Reevaluate population surveyed and redesign the survey to gain additional information. It was suggested that the survey be given to a broader audience. One possible method is to use a national Library Support Staff listserv. They will also ask the ALCTS Office about marketing of publications to support staff.

The committee reviewed the 2004–2005 Publishing Progress Toward Goals spreadsheet. Each section representative gave an update on his area of responsibility, and it appears that many new manuscripts will be forthcoming in the near future. It was noted that the Committee had not reviewed any of publications documents on the ALCTS Web site. There have been a number of comments regarding the location of publishing/publications information on the ALCTS Web site.

The committee reviewed the manuscript Cataloging Correctly for Kids: An Introduction to the Tools, 4th edition. The manuscript was approved for publication and will be submitted to the ALCTS Board for approval. The manuscript and transmittal form for the Web publication, Training Catalogers: a Checklist for Managers and Trainers, was distributed. There appeared to be a number of issues to discuss. Discussion was tabled and will continue online after ALA Annual.

The committee is aware that past issues of ANO are no longer available online. Miriam Palm indicated that many individuals who are interested in locating past issues have been contacting her to try to find them, and she has been able to locate some using the Web archive site called "Wayback." It was suggested that perhaps the old issues of ANO could be made available online as PDF files. Palm also reported that she and other members of the AS Publications Foreign Book Dealers Directory subcommittee have been working on rekeying the information from the old files.

Back to Top

   

Council of Regional Groups (CRG)

CRG Affiliate Relations
Newly appointed committee members were invited to attend the meeting to hear current members talk about their work on the committee and to hear a brief description of what the work on the committee will entail during the next two years. Committee members discussed the best ways to obtain information from affiliate groups in state associations.

New goals for the next year include: more email contact during the year with the affiliate group chairs, individually and through the CRG discussion list; creation of a new program report form for use by affiliate group chairs, solicitation of upcoming program announcements from the affiliate groups to put on the ALCTS and CRG Web pages; and creation of an annual report form to obtain information from affiliate groups on their accomplishments during the year with names of new affiliate group leaders.

CRG Nominating
Did not meet.
CRG Speakers’ Bureau
Did not meet.

Back to Top

   

Acquisitions Section (AS)

AS Organization and Management
Reviewed the preconference, Electronic Resources Management System: Opening a Can of ERMS, that was held Friday afternoon. Paul Orkiszewski offered a summary of the preconference content and a critique as to the overall success of the preconference and how we could improve future offerings. Discussion followed concerning organizational or coordination issues with other ALCTS committees, and the amount of time necessary for preconference planning.

Discussion turned to future needs of the membership in terms of ongoing educational or professional development programs. The Organization & Management Committee may offer either a program or a preconference as needed. There is a slight preference within the Committee to offer a program in future. Two topics for consideration include further developments with ERMS, such as mapping; organizational structures that efficiently handle electronic resources as a part of library workflows, such as what works with blending technical departments. Continuing collaboration with other ALCTS and AS Committees will be most functional for all concerned.

The ongoing challenge for the Committee will be to identify program ideas that are timely and most useful to the membership, given the constraints of the planning process.
AS Education
Did not meet.
AS Policy and Planning
Is ahead of schedule, so there were no committees, discussion groups or interest groups to review at this conference. The group is scheduled to review the Publications Committee at Midwinter 2006; a self-evaluation form was sent to the committee chair in May. Reviewed the completed self-evaluation for Policy and Planning and submitted it to the AS Executive Committee.

Because Interest Groups are new and, by definition, have a 3-year life span that then requires re-application to the section Executive Committee to continue, it's not clear whether Policy & Planning is involved in the evaluation process. In addition, it's not clear when existing Interest Groups started. Given this start date, it was determined that self-evaluations should be requested in May 2007 for review at Midwinter 2008. If the evaluation results in a recommendation to continue an Interest Group, it will be encouraged by Policy & Planning to submit an application (during the following year) to continue as an Interest Group. Discussed adding information to the Committee's web page including the self-study review document, review schedule and meeting minutes.

AS Publications
Reviewed the status of all publications, and assigned specific titles to committee members to work with authors. Status of guides to date:
  • Guidelines for Handling Library Orders for In-Print Monographs: J. Marshall expects to have the manuscript finished by the end of the summer
  • Guide to Acquisition of Audio-Visual Materials: K. Schmidt will contact Gary Handman for update on status of proposal.
  • Guide to Internet Purchasing: N. Gibbs reports that outline is completed and this should be on schedule.
  • Acquisitions bibliography (web publication): C. Anderson is taking oversight of this; M. Sitko will serve as committee liaison.
  • Guide to Writing RFPs: may need a new author, as previous author has changed jobs.
  • Statistics for Managing Lib Acquisitions: J. Belanger is contacting the author, Eileen Hardy.
  • Guide to Change Management: K. Ramsay will check on status with author, Jack Montgomery.
  • Guide to Performance Evaluation: J. Belnager will contact possible authors, and we discussed merging with serial vendors and seeing if it should be expanded to include evaluation of electronic resource providers and aggregators.
The group also discussed at length how to meet the needs of support staff with its publications. Several possible marketing ideas were presented and reviewed with the ALCTS Publications specialist, including selling access to PDF files, selling institutional access that allows several staff to use publications; selling guides as a "boxed set" at a discount. We talked extensively with her about how the committee's Web site can be improved.
AS Foreign Book Dealers Directories Series Subcommittee
A great deal of progress has been made on the project, despite the lack of a Publications specialist in the ALCTS Office for six months. ALA's IT department has created drafts of all the pages of this Web publication, a country validation script, and a template for data entry. All introductory pages (Home page, About This Site, search tips) have been installed and edited.

Because the database contains a mix of real and dummy records, IT will be asked to clear out all current records, so that keying of data can begin in earnest. Suggestions for procedures to enter records will be distributed, and a need to quickly install an editing capability for records with errors will be addressed.

AS Research and Statistics
More than 70 people attended the committee's program, "Why Can't Johnnie and Jane Get Published: Part 2, Research Methodologies," and actively participated in roundtable discussions. A majority of the audience were academic librarians, and the four speakers prepared valuable lectures on the topic of the research process. The program evaluations will be compiled, and the committee will use the evaluations for future programs. They are now planning part 3 of this series for the 2007 ALA Annual Conference.

Back to Top

   

Cataloging and Classification Section (CCS)

CCS Cataloging: Asian and African Materials
After thanking the outgoing committee members, the chair reported that its liaison to CC:DA coordinated the CC:AAM comments on the draft AACR3, Part I and sent them to CC:DA; the chair has set up a 2006 Program Planning Subcommittee; the CCS Executive Committee approved revision of the committee's charge, which was sent to ALCTS to be added to CC:AAM Web site; CC:AAM received a written response from MARBI to its motion urging MARBI to expand the character repertoire in MARC21.

A 2006 program on the Program for Cooperative Cataloging (PCC) for 2006 will be proposed.

A task force of Asian and African materials specialists will be convened to comment on the new version of AACR3, Resource Description and Access, and will be chaired by this committee's liaison to CC:DA.

Research done on a literature review and questionnaire to vendors group on Unicode and non-roman access has not revealed a great deal of information. Good progress has been made on the Islamic Law Subject Headings and Central Asian Romanization Tables, and they are now available on the Middle East Librarians Association's (MELA) Web site.

The committee appoved the Ladino Romanization Table proposal without consulting further experts in the field, since the people who put this proposal together or who have been consulted are the experts.

The resolution before ALA Council on equal access to non-roman resources was sent to ALA membership Saturday meeting at ALA 2005 Annual. The committee agreed that we in favor of the resolution and will indicate our support for it.

Whether CC:AAM should have formal relationship with area associations for the five regions covered by the committee charge was discussed; CC:AAM decided to maintain its existing practice of informal rather than official liaison between the committee and each area studies association. CC:AAM will increase communication by posting draft minutes on its web site shortly after each conference and send out its meeting agenda to area studies mailing lists before each conference.
CCS Cataloging: Description and Access
Held two meetings in Chicago. The major business at both meetings was the report on the April 2005 meeting of the Joint Steering Committee for Revision of AACR. Jennifer Bowen, ALA Representative to the JSC, led the discussion of the decisions made by the JSC and the Committee of Principals for AACR regarding the creation of a new edition of AACR. The working title of the new code is to be Resource Description and Access (RDA). Jennifer's report is available on the CC:DA Web site.

In addition to the discussion of RDA, the Saturday afternoon meeting included reports from the Library of Congress representative, Barbara Tillett, and from ALA's NISO representative, Betty Landesman, as well as an informal report on "FRBR in 21st Century Catalogues: An Invitational Workshop" that was held at OCLC in spring 2005.

Discussion of RDA continued at the Monday morning meeting. Don Chatham of ALA Publishing Services reported on AACR/RDA from the publishing perspective, and there was a lively and productive discussion of requirements for a Web-accessible version of RDA. Other business at that meeting was reports from two task forces planning the programs (one on "Cataloging Cultural Objects," and one on AACR3/RDA) presented at the 2005 Annual Conference; from the MARBI Representative, Everett Allgood, and the CC:DA Webmaster, John Attig; and from the Task Force charged to maintain the CC:DA publication Differences Between, Changes Within.
CCS Cataloging of Children's Materials
Evaluated the program the committee had presented at this conference: there were 75 attendees at the "Cataloging for School Librarians: It's Child's Play! Or Is It?" We felt that the program was a success and that the ALA Annual Conference is a good venue to reach inexperienced and/or novice catalogers.

The committee has been notified that Cataloging Correctly for Kids, 4th ed. has been approved for publication. It discussed presenting a preconference at the 2006 Annual in New Orleans, entitled "Cataloging Correctly for Kids Begins With the Right Resources: Tools of Our Trade." The consensus was that because of cost and timing issues, a half-day preconference on Friday afternoon would ensure the best possible attendance. A copy of the 4th edition of Cataloging Correctly for Kids would be included in the price of the preconference.

The committee's Web publication, "Resources for Catalogers of Children's Materials" has been held up until December 2005.
CCS Education, Training and Recruitment for Cataloging
The Mentoring Program has just finished its first year. Evaluations have been sent to the participants. The Mentoring Subcommittee is working with the ALCTS Office to get documents posted and the mentoring database hosted by the ALCTS Web site.

The Continuing Education Subcommittee plans to develop a survey assessing continuing education needs that would be distributed biannually to various cataloging-related electronic lists. They are also working to identify curriculum developers for the Fundamentals of Cataloging Web course.

A sub-group is working on developing a program for the 2007 annual meeting about how library schools and employers can work together to educate the next generation of cataloging librarians.

The updated version of the online Training Catalogers checklist has been approved by CCS Executive Committee, and has moved on to the ALCTS Publication Committee. Two other publications, a cataloging recruitment toolkit and an article about the mentoring program, are still in draft stage.

CCS Policy and Planning
Reviewed the committee charges for CCS Executive, Nominating and Margaret Mann Citation committees. The group recommended that the Executive Committee pursue changing its charge as proposed, and agreed that the Nominating Committee charge be modified explicitly to ensure as broad a representation as possible in proposed candidates. Additionally, choosing the chair from the previous year's committee for Nominating and Margaret Mann will ensure that the current committee can build on the work of the prior committee. Next year four CCS discussion groups will be asked to review their charges: Cataloging and Classification Research, Map Cataloging, Cataloging Norms and Cataloging Management. The group will develop a questionnaire for the discussion groups to use for their review process.

Policy and Planning reviewed the CCS initiatives in the Tactical Plan database and the draft Division Strategic Plan for 2006–2010.

CCS Research and Publications
Approved minutes from Midwinter Meeting in Boston; met with Christine Taylor of the ALCTS Office to brief her on upcoming publications; discussed state of our essays; and discussed new ALA scheduling for future conferences.

CCS Subject Analysis
The chair of the Taskforce on Named Buildings and Other Structures presented the group's final report, and SAC members voted to disband the Task Force. The chair of the Subcommittee on Semantic Interoperability requested that SAC extend the life of the Subcommittee so that they could add the finishing touches to their final report and submit it to SAC for approval. SAC members voted to extend the life of the subcommittee until Midwinter 2006.

Ed O'Neill of OCLC gave an update on the Faceted Application of Subject Terminology (FAST) project at OCLC, and the chair of the Subcommittee on FAST followed with a report of the activities of the Subcommittee. O'Neill reported that he is beginning to make some changes based on feedback from the subcommittee. A discussion followed in which SAC members asked questions and offered suggestions.

The MARBI liaison reported on a proposal for using FRBR with MARC 21 based on a paper by Sally McCallum at the Library of Congress. One model proposed uses authority records for work/expression records and adds the equivalent of bibliographic 600-656 fields to authority records. SAC was asked to put together a task force to study the issues involved and report before Midwinter 2006.

The Subcommittee on FAST and the Joint PCC SCT/CCS SAC Task Force on Library of Congress Classification Training presented proposals for programs at Annual 2006.

SAC members discussed the new ALA meeting schedule and agreed to shorten its Sunday meeting and lengthen its Monday afternoon meeting, in order to conform to the new schedule.

Back to Top

   

Collection Management and Development Section (CMDS)

CMDS Administration of Collection Development
Heard a brief status report on the committee’s program “Use Measures for Electronic Resources: Theory and Practice.” Other discussion topics included “whose statistics to use?” What do we gain/benefit from vendor-generated statistics? Why should we use their product? Some major database providers can’t comply with Standards. Budget is not sustainable; decisions are made by usage frequency, based on past experience only. You can’t cancel individual titles from packages. Dilemma: high usage ones to subscribe? Low-use ones use document delivery? An article is being prepared on this topic.

A poster session titled "Hold Shelf Survey at University of Maryland Libraries, Shady Grove Library" was summarized for attendees.

Future topics were brainstormed:
  • Organizational structure’s effects on collection development: what needs to be selected, or deselected; Workflow analysis; technical services collaboration with selectors/collection development managers; rapid environment changes, very dynamic, organization doesn’t keep up with fast changes.
  • Reorganization of Collection management: Staff development; union environment; flexibility to address challenges of dynamic collection development planning; skills training, cross-training, cross-job environment for efficiency
  • Non-use or low use of e Books: There are certain patterns that emerged since the beginning of e publications. There is duplication in collections for same title in print & e format. Only certain types of monographs are well used (i.e. How- to Do books, encyclopedias)
  • Impact of e Resources on Coll. Dev. decision-making systems: what’s the impact on decision making? On the workflow? What demands do you respond to? How do “political” decisions influence Coll. Dev.? What clout do students have (Undergrads & Grads)? User analysis for decision-making support?
CMDS Collection Development and Electronic Resources
Spent its meeting discussing logistical details for its program “Print in the Post-Electronic World: When Just in Case Becomes Just in Time,” held Sunday afternoon. A summary will be prepared for the ALCTS Newsletter Online.

The rest of the meeting time was spent discussing what the committee will do in the future. The major suggestions were:

  • Continue with planning and offering programs; and
  • Continue to try and include the public library perspective in programs—possibly by attempting to work with a similar committee in PLA.


Concerns were expressed about possible overlap with the Serials Section Education Committee, but proper coordination and communication should alleviate this concern. Concerns were also expressed about attempting to create publications. In an area as fluid as electronic resources, a print publication would require frequent updates to be useful. By creating such, we would be committing future committees to this process. The creation of bibliographies to accompany programs and other such materials is a more agile and responsive way to disseminate information. The committee will continue to look into putting materials related to the programs in ALCTS Web space. Future program topics might include e-resource management systems and e-resources on a shoestring.
CMDS Education
Discussed the proposed 2006 Annual Conference program to be cosponsored with CMDS Quantitative Measures, “Collection Assessment: Best Practices for the 21st Century.” Other agenda items included discussing how to proceed on the “Fundamentals of Collection Development” Web course, and brainstorming ideas for a possible 2007 Midwinter symposium. The committee decided to continue seeking a developer for the fundamentals course. The topic of the preconference will be regional storage solutions, space planning and collection development issues.
CMDS Policy and Planning
Discussed briefly the results of the 2003 CMDS survey of members, but did not come up with new recommendations.

The group suggested new items for consideration that were forwarded to the CMDS Executive Committee:

  • Have a general ALCTS membership meeting so members will have a chance to get to know each other.
  • Let members know about the ALCTS Social/Reception. Some people were not aware that there was one.
  • CMDS could issue a list of meetings related to collection development to all members. These meetings do not necessarily have to be sponsored by ALCTS. Other divisions or sections like ACRL, RUSA, etc., have programs on collection development. They can be sent out by email or be available on the ALCTS Web site.
  • Why doesn’t the CMDS chair go around each table during the all-committee meeting?
CMDS Publications
Reviewed status of “Sudden Selector” guide series: the business guide is on schedule for manuscript submission in July 2005. Children’s literature guide has been delayed until the end of summer. Art guide is behind schedule with no revised submission date yet.

Discussed new publications: a formal proposal for Chemistry guide has been received and will be circulated to the committee for review after annual conference. An informal proposal for “working with your acquisitions department” was discussed; it was recommended the author broaden the proposal by seeking a coauthor from the Acquisitions Section. Other authors were suggested for future guides. After reviewing the list of past CMDS publications, it was decided that the three oldest should be looked at in detail for possible revision. The chair agreed to contact the ALCTS Office to procure copies for committee review.

CMDS Quantitative Measures for Collection Management
Discussed its 2006 program proposal to be cosponsored by the CMDS Education Committee. The program, currently entitled “Best Practices: Collection Assessment: What's an Adequate Collection in the 21st Century?” is designed to provide an overview of collection assessment methods used to evaluate collections of resources in all formats. The program will be in the format of a panel presentation and it is hoped that it will lead to a preconference in 2007 as well as Web courses and workshops in the future. One change was suggested—amend the title so that it doesn’t start with the words “best practices” but “collection assessment.”

The committee discussed the timeline as detailed in the ALCTS Program Planners Guide, as well as tasks necessary to prepare for the program, primarily identifying and inviting speakers for the second portion of the program in which specific examples or case studies of collection assessment projects will be described and discussed.

The committee will seek a change in its name and charge to reflect its emphasis on collection assessment, not solely quantitative measures used to assess collections. It is clear that the committee's scope includes all methods of collection assessment, not just quantitative measures.

Back to Top

   

Preservation and Reformatting Section (PARS)

PARS Books and Paper: Methods, Materials, Standards
Heard reports on several PARS discussion groups. The Curators and Conservators DG, part of the Rare Books and Manuscripts Section of ACRL, seems to have few attendees and is considering whether the group should continue.

The committee agreed that the preliminary work for the Conservation Lab bibliography has been completed. Werner Haun agreed in the past to post it to Conservation Online and Walter Henry has agreed to let CoOL host. Tom Teper reported on his library binding sourcebook to be published later this year.

A proposal to cancel discussion groups during Annual to free up time to attend programs, etc. was discussed. The committee unanimously agreed that this would not be desirable, and suggested that the PARS Executive Committee consider splitting up DGs, so that half meet at Annual and half at Midwinter—the committee felt that this would alleviate many of the scheduling conflicts.
PARS Education
The Education Directory has been revised since January 2005 to include committee recommendations regarding the design and navigability of the Web version. Between now and the Midwinter meeting in 2006, the incoming chairs should consider an “automated” means of updating the content of the directory. The ALCTS office may be able to help develop a form for entering new content into a database to simplify the process.

Approximately 25 attendees discussed the topic of disseminating preservation information to the general public at the Education DG. Mary Ellen Starmer led the discussion by describing her "Book Doctor Clinic," established at the University of Tennessee five years ago.

ALCTS wishes to offer more Web courses, and a five-part “Fundamentals” series has been proposed by the division’s Education Committee. The PARS committee has been charged with establishing a task force to advise on “Fundamentals of Preservation,” and to identify content developers. This was set as a goal for the Midwinter Meeting.
PARS Management
Discussed some apparent confusion about appointments to the committee. Proposed that two PARS discussion groups covering similar topics (Cooperative Preservation, and Preservation in Small to Mid-Sized Libraries) merge into a single new discussion group, Cooperative Preservation Strategies.

Discussed creation of new discussion group: Digital Preservation: Managing Digital Objects. Its focus will be digital preservation—managing digital objects—and is differentiated from any group within Reformatting, since Reformatting (committee and discussion group) covers digitization as a preservation reformatting option, while Digital Preservation will cover management of digital objects and therefore falls under the purview of the Management Committee.

It will offer PARS members the opportunity to discuss these issues, since many of them have responsibilities at their local institution. Note: This group should be scheduled to meet during the old Cooperative Preservation DG time slot.

The Cost Study Task Force is nearing completion of their publication. A draft has been forwarded to the PARS Program Planning and Publications Committee.

The task force charged with the “What Happens When Your Library Becomes a Crime Scene?” publication is working on the publication, but it is not yet ready for review. Work is to take place throughout the summer, and progress will be reported at ALA Midwinter. The Management Committee has two program proposals in process:
  • Mold (“Warm and Fuzzy...”) will be a program in ALA Annual 2006.
  • “Hold on to the Memories,” a program aimed at training public librarians to give Preserving Family Heirlooms workshops at the local level is planned for ALA Annual 2007. This activity will be planned with input from the Public Library Association division of ALA.


PARS Policy, Planning and Research
Discussed their survey conducted during the winter to learn what preservation-related activities libraries have stopped performing. We did not get very many responses, but the majority had to do with stopping the use of chemical processes for deacidification and mold treatment that have proven to be harmful to humans and/or the environment. A brief summary of the results will be posted on the tactical initiatives database.

We discussed a research project suggested by the National Library of Agriculture, and decided the project could best be handled by a pretenure librarian looking for a good preservation project to work on. A volunteer agreed to help find a librarian to work on this. The finished product may become an ALA publication.

The committee would like to be involved with helping further research in magnetic media preservation. There is a program about this next year, and based on that program we will look for other ways to promote research and training in this area. We also discussed the progress that is being made on the ALCTS Strategic Plan.
PARS Program Planning and Publications
Met with ALCTS Publications Specialist Christine Taylor to review the publishing process. The committee is currently working with authors on two publications that are moving quickly toward completion. These will be sent to the PARS Executive Committee for approval before Midwinter. A third publication from the Management Committee is also expected. It was suggested that to increase the understanding of the flow and parameters of ALA Publications [i.e., ALA Editions], that someone from that office be invited to either the PADG or PARS Discussion Group during midwinter 2006. The committee also discussed possible review of Best Preservation articles in LRTS for the 50th anniversary issue of LRTS. The committee approved and forwarded to the PARS Executive Committee a number of programs and a preconference on commercial binding for 2006 Conference, and also discussed program proposals for 2007. Publication as an outgrowth of programs is in the planning stages.
PARS Recording & Photographic Media: Methods, Materials, Standards
Discussed the 2005 PARS Program, “Saving Sound: Identifying Endangered Recordings and Planning for the Preservation of Audio Collections.” About 140 people attended the program. A program evaluation form was distributed, and results will be tabulated and analyzed by the program’s planning committee members.

For the 2006 PARS Program, “Saving Sound, Part 2: Implementing an Audio Preservation Program,” the committee developed a list of speakers, who will discuss topics including selection for preservation of audio recordings, intellectual property issues for audio, and technical issues in audio preservation (which will be handled as a librarian/vendor dialogue). In 2007, an overview of audio digitization, case studies of audio digitization from an individual institution and a collaborative audio preservation project will be discussed, as will funding for audio digitization.

The Recording Media Committee is in the process of developing a plan for publication of the papers from the 2005, 2006, and 2007 programs. Committee member Tara Kennedy will work with PARS and ALCTS Program and Publication Committee members to develop a publication plan.

There was a brief review of ALA Annual 2005 activities of the Recording Media Discussion Group, and a preview of discussion of ALA Midwinter 2006 discussions. In addition, the committee discussed the proposal for alternative scheduling of PARS Discussion Groups.

PARS Reformatting: Analog and Digital
Jacob Nadal gave a report from the Reformatting Discussion group. There were approximately 25 people in attendance. There was no set agenda and discussion focused primarily on the transition to digital reformatting.

A program on preservation of digital files is being planned for 2007. Three possible topics include LOCKSS, TR-MS-123, and the centralized model for TDR’s (trusted digital repositories) such as that being built at the KB and Florida Center for Library Automation (FLCA).

Myron Chace (Library of Congress) gave an excellent report on the last six months of work at AIIM. He explained a bit about how AIIM and NISO are structured, and how they interact as organizations with their parent organization, ANSI. There is some thinking in the field that there should no longer be national microfilm standards, but that international standards should be used. There is considerable controversy in the industry, with some highly favorable and others not in favor of this change at all. Lars Meyer (Emory University) will be the ALCTS/PARS representative to AIIMM as it relates to electronic imaging.

Back to Top

   

Serials Section (SS)

SS Acquisitions
Sponsored a program at Annual 2005, “Innovations in E-journals Management." The program was successful, but the evaluation forms have been misplaced; there were fifty forms in all. The editor of the ALCTS Papers Series is considering a volume covering all the programs on E-journals Management that occurred in Annual 2005.

The Serials Acquisitions Glossary Companion is ready to be posted on the Web; one committee member took all the terms from the older printed version and the electronic supplement, and created a merged Access database. The ALCTS Office agreed that as long as the glossary is in a format that can allow it to easily interface with the ALCTS Web site, it will be made available there. The final document is in MS Word. There were some concerns expressed about the quality of the information, but we need feedback from the public in order to make this better. We cannot be the only ones to judge the piece, and need to put it out there to be used. The decision was also made to have the glossary updated twice a year, and we suggest updating the MS Word documents after Midwinter Meeting and after Annual. We also discussed issues of concern about the ALCTS Web site and ability to have virtual meetings.

Bowker/Ulrichs Serials Librarianship Award Jury
Did not meet.
SS Continuing Resources Cataloging (formerly the Committee to Study Serials Cataloging)
Major topics of discussions included new ALA 2006 conference meeting schedules, the future committee Webmaster, and potential presentation topics for the committee's open forum at the 2006 Midwinter Meeting in San Antonio. The committee also discussed future plans of the committee’s internal Web site that currently resides on University of Illinois at Chicago's server. It was agreed that the site will be switched to University of Delaware's server. Several ideas were mentioned as potential topics for the Midwinter open forum.

The committee's Monday meeting serves as a public forum for the continuing resources cataloging community. The meeting agenda included three routine reports and two major presentations. Regina Reynolds, Library of Congress, reported recent LC, ISSN/NSDP activities. Les Hawkins, CONSER coordinator, reported recent CONSER activities. Kevin Randall reported on CC:DA discussions and decisions. Two major presentations were:

  • Defining an “access level” catalog record for remote access electronic resources (David Reser, Library of Congress); and
  • The Serial super record, version 2.0 (Frieda Rosenberg, UNC - Chapel Hill)


SS Education
reviewed the program staged in Chicago, “How to Assess Your Vendors’ Financial Viability.” An estimated one hundred attended this program. Comments of the attendees conveyed that the program was timely and beneficial, offering for those present an opportunity to better understand the vendor/librarian role and the importance of taking an active part in protecting the financial health of their respective libraries/institutions. The committee also cosponsored “Innovations in E-Journals Management.”

Syllabus for Serials Cataloging Teaching and Training was updated last year but has not yet been posted on the Web site. Unraveling the Mysteries of Serials, published in 1996, was deemed not “serials specific” and sufficiently “focused;” committee members agreed to retire this publication. Syllabus for Serials Collection Management and Acquisitions Teaching and Training was updated in March 2005 and will be posted on the Web site. Syllabus for Serials Collection Management, Records Systems, and Preservation Teaching and Training has been reviewed; it was recommended that this document be divided into two parts Syllabus for Serials Management: Print and Electronic and Syllabus for Serials Preservation and Archiving

SS Nominating
did not meet.
SS Policy and Planning
Discussed the role this group will play in preparing the new division Strategic Plan, and its ongoing review of section discussion groups and whether they may wish to become interest groups. Discussed strategies for supporting the current Plan. Each committee member will liaise with a particular SS committee. When contacting committee/group chairs, provide a copy of current strategic initiatives and request any status changes, updates or additions. Make it clear that in order to receive ALCTS support (e.g., a meeting room at conference) each committee/group needs to have something in the database reflecting their activities. A status of “ongoing” may be assigned to activities performed regularly by committees/groups. The chair will provide a message template including the link to the strategic initiatives database.
SS Research and Publications
Reviewed the section's publishing goals, with focus on review of existing Serials Section print and web publications. Determined “Unraveling Mysteries of Serials” will be withdrawn rather than revised. Discussed possible future publication project—biographical essays on individuals who have had significant impact on serials work.
Serials Standards
Voted to change the committee's name to Serials Standards Committee. Made a program proposal to the ALCTS Program Committee for a Serials Standards Update Forum at Annual 2006, and will name a Program Subcommittee Chair-Elect at Midwinter 2006. That person will shepherd the committee's 2007 serials standard update forum. The Serial Standards Bibliography Subcommittee will update their section by July 15, 2005, and the subcommittee chair will use this information to update the bibliography on the Serials Section Web page.
Union Lists of Serials
The chair distributed drafts of committee’s vision of an ideal union-listing world as had been discussed at the Midwinter Meeting in Boston. This document, when finished, is intended to describe “union listing in a very broad perspective including the various needs and concerns of people in different parts of the profession, as well as the needs of library patrons” (quote from minutes of Midwinter Meeting).

Discussion resulted in the decision to share the draft with members who were absent and recipients of OCLC's online discussion group concerning union listing. Suggestions for changes are going to be sent to the chair over the next several weeks, who will pursue the administrative steps that have to be made in order to have the final product added to the ALCTS Web site.

Cathy Kellum reported on the many changes taking place at OCLC regarding union listing, including the demise of Passport, the creation of union listing functionality in the browser version of Connexion, the conversion of OCLC holdings records, automatic routing of interlibrary loan requests, batch loading of holdings records, fee structures, training issues, and changes in offline products.

Worst Serial Title Change of the Year Award
Having recommended the demise of this committee, no meeting was held. A “worst of the worst” award was presented at the ALCTS Awards ceremony; see separate article in this issue covering that award.

Back to Top