DGs Announce Conference Topics

ALCTS Discussion and Interest Groups Announce Topics for Chicago Meetings

These announcements were received by the submission deadline of June 1. Check the schedule of meetings in this issue ( schedule by date and time, schedule by section) for the locations of these sessions.

The ALCTS/MAGERT Map Cataloging Discussion Group (Sunday, June 26, 8-9 a.m.) will hold another of its popular Map Cataloging Q&A Sessions. Bring your map cataloging questions, as general or as specific as you'd like, and the group will suggest solutions and answers.

The Automated Acquisitions and In Process Control Discussion Group (Sunday, June 26, 9:30-11 a.m.) has as its topic “Acquisitions: Poor relation in the RFP process?” Acquisitions modules in particular, and tech services functionality in general, are increasingly secondary in the process of choosing an integrated library system. What do we need to consider when preparing for the RFP process? Are there key elements that assure Acquisitions functionality will be considered? A discussion of the RFP (request for proposal), led by integrated systems vendors and librarians who have recent experience with the process, will help us begin to frame the critical issues that need to be considered in tendering an RFP.

The Catalog Form & Function Interest Group (Saturday, June 25, 9:30-11:00 a.m.) will discuss “Providing Access to Items in Storage and Enhancing the Catalog.” Topics will include:

  • Setting up a storage facility and the record implications in a Voyager catalog-- Mary Roach, Head of Cataloging Dept., University of Kansas;
  • Requesting off-site storage items in an Innovative Interfaces catalog-- Walter Walker, Head Cataloging Librarian, Loyola Marymount University;
  • Storage items in a Dynix Horizon catalog-- Jan Robertson, Head of Technical Services, University of Utah;
  • Enriching catalog records with the Richcat project-- Laura Akerman, Technology and Metadata Librarian, Emory University;
  • Scoping at a small college? One school sorts it out-- Sarah F. Cohen, Technical Librarian, Champlain College.
The Creative Ideas in Technical Services Discussion Group (Sunday, June 26,4:30-5:30 p.m.) will stage simultaneous, facilitated round table discussions on these topics:
  • Ceasing Check-in of Serials
  • Giving Patrons Access to Web Sites
  • Serials Review and Cancellation Projects
  • Putting Materials in Remote Storage or Weeding Materials
  • Gathering Collection and Usage Statistics
  • Collections Budget: Allocating and Reallocating Money to Subjects and other Fund Accounts
  • Evaluating Technical Services Librarians: Regular Evaluations and Evaluations for Promotion and Tenure
The Electronic Resources Interest Group (Saturday, June 25, 11:30 a.m. – 1 p.m.) will be titled “It's All About Access: Being Google-Friendly.”
Panelists David Reser (LC), Chip Nilges (OCLC), and Adam M. Smith (Google) will discuss the plans for providing access to print collections and Internet resources, emphasizing access over description, followed by a discussion on the future of the catalog in the Google environment.

The Heads of Technical Services of Medium-Sized Libraries Discussion Group (Saturday, June 25, 9:30-11:00 a.m.) plans as its topic "Professional Careers in Technical Services". We will continue the past practice of having several discussions ongoing at separate tables. The topics the Steering Committee has identified in advance include:

  • Should the Head of Acquisitions no longer be a librarian level position? Why or why not?
  • What is the role of preservation, binding, and marking in a time when many materials are being received shelf ready and electronic publication is overtaking print?
  • MARC versus NON-MARC metadata specialists--should they co-exist in the same person? And do they both belong in Technical Services?
  • Why is Technical Services not appealing as a career for recent library school graduates and what can we do about changing the level of appeal? If we don't, what happens when we retire?
  • Is AACR3 going to change (diminish) the role of catalogers?
  • Prior technical services experience is often required in postings for even entry-level TS librarian positions. Why? Is it really necessary, or just convenient?
The LITA-ALCTS CCS Authority Control Interest Group (ACIG) (Sunday, June 26, 1:30-4:30p.m.) will feature as its topic "XML and Authority Control." Information traditionally stored in MARC authority records in library catalogs is increasingly being used in interesting ways in XML environments. This program will look at standards that have emerged to facilitate the XML uses of authority data, projects that have begun to implement these standards, experimental research being conducted in the field, and general issues surrounding the use of controlled vocabularies in metadata descriptions. Directly following the program’s speakers, ACIG will conduct its regular business meeting, which will end no later than 5:30pm. We will discuss upcoming programs and elections will be held for vice-chair/chair-elect and secretary. All are welcome to attend!

The Networked Resources and Metadata Interest Group (Sunday, June 26, 8:30 am-12:30 pm) will hold its regular planning meeting, followed by a discussion of the Visual Resources Association's Cataloging Cultural Objects data content standard at 10:00. Ann Whiteside, one of the CCO's editors, will be present to answer questions and participate in the discussion. We encourage any practitioners considering using CCO to join us as we examine how this new standard might be implemented in various venues and what metadata librarians might need to do to incorporate this new schema in their local systems. Attendees who cannot attend the formal presentation of the Cataloging Cultural Objects standard on Saturday morning and want to prepare for the discussion can familiarize themselves with its content at http://www.vraweb.org/CCOweb/

The Program for Cooperative Cataloging (PCC) Participants' Meeting (Sunday, June 26, 5-6:30 p.m.) will feature keynote speaker Matthew Beacom. Mr. Beacom is a metadata librarian at Yale University, and the chair of an outreach committee working with the JSC. Mr. Beacom's presentation, "Reading Alphabet Soup: What AACR3 may mean for the PCC," will discuss RDA (Resource Description and Access) and how it relates to the PCC.

The Publisher-Vendor-Library Relations Interest Group will host an open forum on Publishers and Librarians Respond to the DLF Report on Electronic Resource Management Monday, June 27, 9:30 - 11:00 a.m.)
The process of managing electronic content has gotten far more complex than it needs to be. There are many parties involved in producing, evaluating, acquiring, delivering and using e-content. This complexity is extraordinarily well delineated in ERMI report and appendices.
What are the sources of this complexity? How much of it is really necessary? At what points in the e-content supply chain could complexity be reduced? How can the process be streamlined and who can we turn to, to bring about such streamlining? What are the challenges?
PVLR seeks to bring the major players to the table, to provide an opportunity to analyze the business relationships that produce the complexity and hopefully offer suggestions for reducing the complexity. Although there are several ALA sessions on managing eJournals, this may be the only one that includes the publisher perspective specifically. We are also pleased to announce that Tim Jewell (co-author of the ERMI Report) will be in attendance, to answer questions if they arise.
Friedemann Weigel, Managing Partner and Information Systems Director, Harrassowitz, will moderate a panel composed of:

  • David Goldsmith, Head of Acquisitions and Director of Licensing, NCSU;
  • Alan Schroeder, Business and Law Librarian, Cal State/Northridge;
  • Rachel Lee, Library Marketing, University of California Press Journals; and
  • John Shaw, Publishing Technologies Manager, Journals Production, Sage Publications.
The Scholarly Communications Discussion Group (Monday, June 27, 9:30-11:00 am) will be led by Karen Williams (University of Minnesota), who will introduce the ACRL Scholarly Communications Toolkit www.ala.org/ala/acrl/acrlissues/scholarlycomm/scholarlycommunicationtool...) and Ray English (Oberlin College) who update us on the progress of other elements of ACRL’s Scholarly Communications Initiative.

The AS Acquisitions Managers and Vendors Interest Group (Sunday, June 26, 8:30-9:30 a.m.) will be hosting a meeting dedicated to current and future (ma non troppo) trends in electronic books and their acquisition by libraries. Interest in e-books has never been greater among academic libraries as e-book models and usage have evolved and multiplied. We have assembled a panel of some of the key individuals in the development, implementation, and marketing of current e-book models to learn their thoughts and plans for the future, and with whom to share our ideas and concerns. We expect discussion to be an integral part of the meeting, so please come prepared to participate! Rick Lugg of R2 Consulting, will moderate the session. Panel members will include:

  • David Bass, Senior Vice President of Sales and Marketing at ebrary;
  • Marge Gammon, Division Vice President, Library and Publisher Services, OCLC/NetLibrary;
  • Kari Paulson, General Manager of EBL; and
  • Jill Reese, Manager, Digital Rights and Alliances, McGraw-Hill Digital.
The CCS Catalog Management Discussion Group (Saturday, June 25, 2 - 4 pm) will begin with a presentation by Robert Bremer from OCLC. Mr. Bremer will update attendees on the status of the migration of OCLC's quality control activities, and present the most recent thinking on what to tackle when quality control gets going. The presentation will be followed by question and answers, as well as a discussion of the impact of OCLC Quality Control's hiatus on members. Those attending will be asked to share the top three catalog management activities employed at their libraries. Come ready to provide your "must do" list and explain why they were chosen. A short business meeting will be held to elect a Vice-Chair / Chair -Elect for 2005-2006 and choose a new meeting time beginning with ALA Mid-Winter 2006.

The CCS Copy Cataloging Discussion Group (Monday June 27, 9:30-11 a.m.) will be wrapping up its discussion on CIP (Cataloging In Publication). From the Library of Congress’ Cataloging in Publication Division, Gene Kinnaly (Program Specialist, New Books Project) will be presenting “CIP Verification at the Library of Congress”. In the CIP verification process, original cataloging that has been performed from publishers’ galleys is completed and verified. Kinnaly will provide an explanation and examination of the process. Rules and procedures, statistics, level of staff, process, exceptions, and use of OCLC member records will be discussed. In addition to this presentation, Judith A. Mansfield (Chief, Arts and Sciences Cataloging Division), will update the group on copy cataloging activities at LC.

The PARS Preservation Administration Discussion Group (Friday, June 24, 2:00-5:00 p.m.) will feature “Automating Preservation: Voices from the Field.” Tyra Grant (Northwestern University) will describe Northwestern's development and use of the Kirtas robotic page-turning book scanner. Cathy Aser (Digital Services Group, Stanford University) will report about the Digitizing Line automatic book scanner. Sayeed Choudhury (Johns Hopkins University) will speak about CAPM (Comprehensive Access to Printed Materials), a project to develop robotics, automated systems and software to enhance access in the JHU remote storage facility. After a brief session on the new ALA plan for scheduling meetings during conferences, Chandru Shahani (Library of Congress) will speak on “Mass Deacidification: New LC Research on the Extension of Paper Life.”

The PARS Preservation Issues in Small to Midsized Libraries Discussion Group (Sunday, June 26, 8:30-11 a.m.) will have as its topic “Are Duplicate Copies the Double Edged Sword for Last Copy Repositories?” Following a very stimulating and well-received discussion at ALA Mid-Winter in Boston, it became apparent that the conversation on last copy repositories needed to be continued and debated in the field as many questions, suggestions and concerns surfaced during the last panel discussion and it seemed important and valuable to continue the dialogue in Chicago. There is still much to learn exchange and debate about in this changing arena and it is hoped that you will be able to join and participate in another panel discussion on this important topic given by professionals who will discuss their day to day experiences, insights and challenges at their particular repository. Even though the chances for long-term preservation are greater when multiple copies are retained, it is important to realize that not everything can nor should be saved. Funding limitations, space issues, and opportunities for enhanced digital access all provide a rationale to only preserve a single last copy. This panel will discuss how various institutions reconcile these differences between duplicate copies and last copies and the successes and challenges in implementing different policies for repositories.

The SS Journal Costs in Libraries Discussion Group (Saturday, June 25, 2-4 pm) is privileged to have two speakers to talk with us on Evolving Publisher Business Models. October Ivins will report on her work with the University of Chicago Press. Adam Chesler will tell us about the American Chemical Society's review of their business and marketing models.