ALCTS Committees Report from Boston

Below are brief abstracts of the activities of ALCTS committees during the 2005 ALA Midwinter Meeting, January 14–19, in Boston, based on reports received by the editor as of February 11, 2005. Committee contact information for committee chairs and members may be found on the ALCTS Organization menu on the ALCTS home page; in addition, some committees post minutes and other documents pertinent to their work on their Web pages.

For information on committees not listed below, go to the ALCTS Organization menu and follow the links through to the appropriate section.

Divisionwide Committees / Council of Regional Groups / Acquisitions Section / Cataloging and Classification Section / Collection Management and Development Section / Preservation and Reformatting Section / Serials Section

   Divisionwide Committees

ALCTS/AAP Joint Committee

The committee discussed a variety of initiatives, including:

  • Matchmaking Web site being developed by the Association of American Publishers (AAP) to facilitate library programming by providing libraries with information about authors available for speaking engagements, and by providing authors and publishers with information about library venues. AAP hopes to have the site tested during the next few months and available for demonstration at ALA Annual in Chicago.

  • Fundraising/advocacy for libraries by publishers: Michael Borges, executive director of the New York Library Association, spoke about the need to look at state and local funding, which is the major source of revenue for most libraries. Karolyn Anderson suggested that the publishers use New York as a test case for this effort, and Borges suggested several strategies to this end.

  • ALCTS Survey and Committee Structure: The committee continues its discussion of its structure. AAP believes that the interests of its Trade Libraries Committee, which currently provides AAP representation on the Joint Committee, are more in line with those of the Public Library Association and has been talking to PLA about some working relationship. AAP would like to continue a working relationship with ALCTS and hopes that a Libraries Committee being established by its Professional and Scholarly Publishing Division (PSP) would be a better fit with the ALCTS group. One option, as suggested by the ALCTS survey, is to change to interest group status and pursue the possibility of representation from several ALA divisions.

John Celli, Library of Congress, also reported on Library of Congress projects that affect publishers, including Electronic CIP and ISBN 13.

Paul Banks and Carolyn Harris Preservation Award Committee

The jury reviewed nominations and selected a winner.

Blackwell’s Scholarship Award Cmmittee

The jury conducted its business by EM before conference.

Budget and Finance Committee

Met twice during conference.At its recommendation, the board has approved both a membership dues increase and an increase in the LRTS subscription rate. These were part of a larger budget package that included reductions in ALCTS office staff and operating expenses. President Diedrichs noted that dues increases need to be incremental, and that ALCTS cannot continue to operate at a deficit, thus depleting the ALCTS reserve fund. The committee has been charged with reviewing subscription rates and membership dues annually and with determining a mechanism for analyzing when increases are warranted. In addition to the increases approved, the board approved the recommendation that IFLA travel and new initiatives funding be suspended until it is determined if the FY05 budget will end without a deficit. This is a precedent for budgets in future fiscal years.

The need to identify programs that can be engaged in collaboratively, such as with the Library of Congress (the LC Action Plan) and the workshops that CCS has been doing with the Program for Cooperative Cataloging, was identified. This model has been successful and reduces costs to ALCTS. Web courses along the lines of Fundamentals of Acquisitions would benefit the revenue stream and reach library support staff. ALCTS needs to generate revenue steadily and regularly, and continuing education is vital to this effort.

The high cost of A/V equipment was discussed. Charges have been dramatically escalating at conference sites, and people are now encouraged to bring their own equipment. Another approach is scheduling meetings with similar A/V needs in the same room, thus paying only a single set-up fee for the day. ALCTS must see that this is done consistently; the conference centers will not do so.

On Sunday, Teri Switzer, ALA treasurer, joined the ALCTS Budget and Finance Committee to report on BARC issues. Among issues she mentioned were soaring A/V and meeting room costs at Conference. She urged the divisions to collaborate with other groups on programming. The committee raised concerns about ALA passing along costs that are tantamount to unfunded mandates, and noted that for smaller divisions, some such costs may make the difference between finishing a year in the black and ending it with a deficit. The committee urged BARC and the ALA Finance Office to discuss budget issues with the divisions to reach reasonable compromises.

The committee discussed the FY04 ending budget. The overall ending balance was a deficit of $55,325. As the year continued, adjustments in expenses were made to control spending; however, the budget confirmed once again the need for a regular source of nondues revenue to support the work and initiatives that ALCTS has set. The FY05 first quarter ended with lower than expected revenues and slightly lower expenses. It is expected that dues revenues, subscription income, donations, and advertising revenues will be posted in the second quarter. Salary savings will be offset in future months by the need to outsource work.

The chair noted that a year ago issues facing B&F and the Program Committee included outside speakers, costs, and modular programming for preconferences. The program chair reported that there are fifteen programs in the pipeline for Annual and five preconferences. Some concerns have been noted about the structure of modular programming for certain topics. B&F suggested various ideas for addressing these concerns, such as posting reading lists and PowerPoint handouts (when permissions to post are received) to the ALCTS Web site in advance of programming, and noting in marketing when it is advisable to take continuing education programs in sequence.

Now that the ALCTS office is responsible for developing program budgets in consultation with the program planning chair, B&F approval is needed only when extraordinary costs are involved and to help prioritize fundraising. Planning a program and getting budget approval take far less time than in the past.

Education Committee

The committe agreed that a new Web course series on fundamentals should be developed, building on the success of the Fundamentals of Acquisitions course. There will be five new courses in the series:

  • Fundamentals of Cataloging;
  • Fundamentals of Serials Acquisitions;
  • Fundamentals of Preservation;
  • Fundamentals of Collection Development and Management; and
  • Fundamentals of Technical Services Management.

The committee will work with section education committees to identify content developers and expedite course development. The committee also is working on the development of a course on writing requests for proposals (RFPs), and is exploring the possibility of creating a toolkit for course developers as well as for developing a workshop on how to create quality distance education offerings. The committee is interested in working with the section education committees to develop a needs survey for continuing education.

Revision of the ALCTS Educational Policy Statement is proceeding. A draft policy will be available at Annual Conference in June 2005. The committee is working with section committees to revise the appendix on knowledge and skills.

Fundraising Committee

The committee reviewed plans for the next six months. Sponsors were identified for planned preconferences and programs, and liaisons were assigned for these. There was a brief discussion of the Monday morning sponsorship breakfast in Chicago. It was recommended that a donor profile be developed for all active ALCTS sponsors to aid in current and future solicitations. There was also a discussion of the sponsorship levels and the desirability of developing a list of sponsorship opportunities outside the traditional awards and programs. It was noted that changes in several sponsorship benefits that had been approved at the June 2004 meeting, had not yet been made to the Web site.

Members of the ALCTS Support Staff Award Ad Hoc Selection Committee reported to the group that there were 114 applicants for the three new ALCTS Support Staff Awards. Based on the quality and quantity of the applicants, a motion to make this award permanent, contingent on funding, was presented jointly by the Fundraising and Membership committees to the ALCTS board; this motion was approved.

At the request of the Organization and Bylaws Committee, a review was made of the Fundraising Committee’s plans, programs, and historical activities. A brief discussion of the ALCTS Web site and ALA Ahead 2010 was also held.

International Relations Committee

One member provided a brief history of ALCTS IRC and an overview of the committee’s current charge to examine itself along eight points articulated by the chair. The committee reviewed each of these points and provided two action items for each. A member agreed to summarize the recommendations and action plans.

Leadership Development Committee

The comittee presented the second ALCTS Volunteer Forum, “ALCTS Committee Volunteer Opportunities and Responsibilities,” which drew nearly forty attendees. Carol Pitts Diedrichs, ALCTS president, made opening remarks. The officers responsible for making division and section committee appointments for 2005/2006, including Rosann Bazirjian, ALCTS president-elect, made brief presentations and met with prospective volunteers to discuss the committee slots that are available. Attendees were also encouraged to consider serving on discussion groups and interest groups.

Four speakers have been identified for the “Managing Across Generations: Traditionalists to Millennials” program to be held at 2005 Annual Conference in Chicago. The panelists represent four generations—Traditionalist, Baby Boomer, GenXer, and Millennial—who have current or previous experience with a broad range of library types, including public, academic, federal agency, and state. In addition to formal presentations, the speakers, which include a graduate student, will discuss a scenario/case study among themselves and with the audience.

The committee discussed topics for a program at 2006 Annual in New Orleans and formed a program subcommittee.

LRTS Board

The editor and book review editors reported on content of 48, no. 4, and 49, nos. 1–2, and receipts over the last six months. Issues continue to appear on schedule, coverage of topics more broadly represents the activities of ALCTS, number of book reviews remains steady, and submissions have increased (twenty-six in last six months). The editorial board will cosponsor with the ALCTS Publications Committee a preconference in Chicago on demystifying the writing and publication process. Plans are to use the presentations and handouts from this preconference to provide content to the LRTS Web site that will provide advice to potential authors. Board members reported on their individual activities to solicit submissions and shared ideas on doing so.

The board discussed plans to sponsor an open forum in Chicago that will provide an opportunity to discuss a paper on covert journal article republication (the topic of a paper that will appear in 49, no. 2). The editor will discuss this further with the chair of the program committee, chair of the fund raising committee, and Charles Wilt.

ALCTS/LITA/RUSA Machine-Readable Bibliographic Information (MARBI)

The committee considered five proposals and one discussion paper. The text of these may be viewed at www.loc.gov/marc/marbi/list-p.html and www.loc.gov/marc/marbi/list-dp.html.

  • Proposal 2005-01: Definition of Field 766 in the MARC 21 Classification Format. The proposal was approved.

  • Proposal 2005-02: Definition of Subfield $y in Field 020 (International Standard Book Number) and Field 010 (Library of Congress Control Number) in the MARC 21 Formats. The proposal was approved in a different form than submitted. Instead of a new subfield $y, the definition of $z will be revised to include ISBNs that are non-unique or non-applicable and therefore not trustworthy for matching or overlaying records. Deborah Frist will work with LC to rewrite the definition of $z and provide additional examples to include in the standard.

  • Proposal 2005-03: Definition of Subfield $2 and Second Indicator value 7 in Fields 866-868 (Textual Holdings) of the MARC 21 Holdings Format. The proposal was approved.

  • Proposal 2005-04: Hierarchical Geographic Names in the MARC 21 Bibliographic Format. The proposal was sent back to LC for further refinement and clearer instructions and examples, and will come back for (ideally final) consideration at 2005 ALA Annual.

  • Proposal 2005-05: Change of Unicode mapping for the Extended Roman “alif” character. The proposal was approved.

  • Discussion Paper 2005-DP01: Subject Access to Images. There was a lively discussion on the difference between headings for works about a subject and headings for depictions of an object, person, concept, etc. Several possibilities for distinguishing between these were discussed. The authors of the paper will bring a more detailed paper for discussion at the 2005 ALA Annual Conference in Chicago.

The committee discussed a motion from the Committee on Cataloging: Asian and African Materials (CC:AAM) to urge MARBI to expand the character repertoire to include the Unicode Universal Character Set beyond that included in the MARC-8 subset. The committee agreed with the motion. The Chair will write a response to CC:AAM indicating that efforts are underway to achieve this goal. LC expects to have a proposal at 2005 ALA Annual that will help further the effort. Unfortunately some of the delay has to do with the changes OCLC and RLG are making to their systems, and will have to wait until they are willing and able to move forward on this.

The committee also discussed the role of interns and came to the consensus that no specific tasks or jobs are required of them. They are there to listen and learn, with the understanding that they expect to be appointed to a voting position on the committee when a vacancy is open, and because they already have been at the table they will be able to hit the ground running.

Finally, the committee approved the idea of a joint meeting at 2005 Annual with CC:DA to discuss the implications of AACR3 on the MARC formats.

Membership Committee

The committee identified mentors for the ALCTS Support Staff Grant awardees who will be attending Annual 2005; developed opportunities for professional development and mentoring by identifying other groups to partner with, including New Members Round Table (NMRT) and CCS Committee on the Education, Training, and Recruitment of Catalogers (CETRIC) to develop a Mentoring Interest Group; identified new ALA contacts for participation in LIS Career and Professional Development opportunities for LIS students; reviewed policies and procedures for the Membership Booth at Annual 2005; and met with John Chrastka, ALA Membership marketing manager, to discuss how to reach out to nonrenewing members and support staff.

Organization and Bylaws Committee

Discussed and commented on the ALA strategic plan; the ALCTS Web site; and ALCTS planning documents. Reviewed the Scholarly Publishing Discussion Group.

Planning Committee

The committee had three main areas for its agenda and the following reflects discussion and decisions:

ALA Ahead to 2010 Strategic Plan Draft

The ALCTS Executive Committee asked the Planning Committee to draft the ALCTS response to the ALA Ahead to 2010 Strategic Plan draft. The Committee discussed the draft on Friday, led a discussion at the ALCTS board meeting on Saturday, and framed a draft response at the meeting on Monday. The chair was to draft a response based on the several discussions and to forward to all for comment and vote by the board by a deadline of January 31. Key areas of concern for ALCTS in the draft are the need to include standards development; use of technology across the organization, but particularly for continuing education and publications; and the role of ALA (and ALCTS) in influencing the curriculum in graduate library science programs.

ALCTS 2006–2010 Strategic Plan

The committee is still in the data-gathering stage of the planning process. Background data is being gathered through the following steps:

  • Environmental Scans—Committee members are reviewing strategic plans of other ALA divisions as well as outside groups that interface with or affect ALCTS and its members. The purpose of these reviews is to identify key environmental issues that we should take into consideration in the ALCTS Plan 2005–2011.

  • Section/Committee Discussions—Numerous groups carried out discussions at Midwinter focused around the documents from the Division Leaders Planning Retreat last summer in Orlando. These documents include looking at: 1) What ALCTS is doing that it should stop; 2) What ALCTS is doing well that it should continue, and 3) What new initiatives ALCTS should undertake. Feedback is due by February 15.

  • Member Survey—Committee members are developing a member survey as the last major effort to gather data about where ALCTS should focus its efforts. The survey will be brief and Web-based.

According to the planning calendar, the committee will have a draft plan for board review at Annual Conference 2005 in Chicago. The mission will not be revised at this time. That decision will be reviewed at Annual Conference.

ALCTS 2001–2006 Strategic and Tactical Plan Database

The Strategic and Tactical Plan database for the 2001–2006 plan must be kept current during the development of the new plan. The section representatives are responsible for updating and adding initiatives from their sections. The division-level committees, discussion groups, and interest groups assignments to members-at-large will be redistributed given our new committee members.

There are some technical problems causing errors to show at the beginning of the database, but work will be done to see if the problem can be remedied. The committee also asked that another category of initiative be added to the database—that of “error.” This would be useful especially for those groups such as Program, Budget & Finance, and the ALCTS office that use the database for planning purposes.

Program Committee

The committee m et with planners for the fifteen programs and five preconferences scheduled for the ALA Annual Conference 2005 in Chicago. Planners confirmed their events’ scheduled times, reviewed deadlines for submitting information to the ALCTS office, and clarified various items. Two Thursday preconference slots remain to be filled. Committee members suggested sessions on licensing and making effective presentations. Shortly after Midwinter, we firmed up plans for the licensing offering (to be presented by Trisha Davis) and decided on a preservation workshop to be offered by Jacob Nadal. This workshop was ready to go as a Midwinter Symposium but was pulled because of low enrollment. We anticipate that the Annual venue coupled with the Chicago location will make it more of a draw.

Spurred by recent developments, such as the Emerald publishing situation, the launch of Google Scholar, and Google’s digitization plans, the committee explored creating an ALCTS Forum. This event could be used for presentations and discussion on last-minute topics that do not lend themselves to the year-long planning cycle. The forum will occur in the slot immediately preceding the ALCTS President’s Program on Monday.

The committee seeks the board’s guidance on the relationship between interest groups and the Program Committee. We are especially interested in knowing what interest groups may and may not offer outside of the formal program planning process.

President’s Program Committee

The committee met informally to discuss a number of aspects of the President’s Program for Chicago, “Librarians, Learning and Creativity: A Boundary-Breaking Perspective.” ALCTS president Carol Diedrichs and the committee met with our featured speaker, Michael Hawley, who teaches at MIT. Among numerous other accomplishments, Mike holds the current Guinness record for being the producer of the world’s largest published book, Bhutan: A Visual Odyssey across the Last Himalayan Kingdom . The committee members and Diedrichs were tremendously excited to see a copy of the book and to learn about how it was conceived and created. We expect to be able to share this story, along with Mike’s thoughts on creative leadership and the future of libraries in a digital age, at Annual Conference.

Publications Committee

Heard updates from the editors of the Paper Series, LRTS, and the ALCTS Newsletter, and a report on the search for a new ANO Editor. This will be a three3-year appointment with option for renewal. March 31 is the deadline for applications, and interviews will take place during 2005 ALA Annual in Chicago. The job description will be publicized on the electronic lists and the ALCTS home page.

Each section representative reported on activities in their respective publications committees.

Charles Wilt updated the committee on the status of various publications:

  • The Foreign Book Dealers Directory is ready to be input as a Web publication.
  • Preservation Education Directory, 8th ed., is now up on the ALCTS Web site.
  • Catalog-to-Gateway will be placed in the ALA Online Store. You will be able to order copies through the store.
  • Differences Between, Changes Within will also be available through the ALA Online Store and will be downloadable.
  • Knowledge without Boundaries is going to Scarecrow Press for publication in February 2005.
  • Guide Series with dual listing is in process of being printed.
  • ALA Editions has agreed to publish the Ross Atkinson papers.
  • A new edition of Cataloging Correctly for Kids, 4th ed., is in the works.

Wilt will investigate whether The Library Materials Price Index (LMPI) could be posted in a format that could be manipulated by users (either MS Word or Excel).

The chair distributed the ALCTS Publications Goals for 2004/2005 along with a blank spreadsheet form. Since a replacement has not yet been found for the office publications specialist, she requested that section liaisons fill in the spreadsheet for their section and return it to her so that she can compile the information and distribute it to the committee.

The committee discussed support staff publications needs and will seek additional clarification on what types of publications ALCTS is interested in producing for support staff from the ALCTS Education Committee, to determine what types of programs are being developed so that publications could be produced to support them. The chair asked members to send her written comments on the ALA Strategic Plan.

Support Staff Travel Grant Committee (ad hoc)

One hundred and fourteen applications were received for this award, which Sage Publications has agreed to sponsor as a pilot. The jury screened applications and developed a strategy to narrow the field to a manageable number via conference calls. Fifteen finalists were chosen, and three candidates (along with two alternates) were selected. The names of the three finalists were forwarded to the chairs of the Fundraising and Membership committees and to the ALCTS president, who presented the names to the ALCTS board in executive session for approval.

The ad hoc grant jury recommends that this award should become a regular offering of ALCTS, contingent on external funding. Sage Publications has indicated that they are interested in making a long-term commitment to support this grant, so discussions with Sage will begin soon in this regard.

back to top

   Council of Regional Groups (CRG)

Affiliate Relations Committee

The committee looked at the ALA Ahead to 2010—Draft Strategic Plan, discussed elements of the plan, and agreed on feedback to send to ALA; discussed effective ways to reach affiliates through state association Web sites and e-mail or letters to last-known chair. Members were asked to try to reach the few remaining affiliates they hadn’t contacted.

The committee agreed to notify affiliates of volunteer opportunity to become ALCTS committee members next year; be more proactive on obtaining feedback on Annual Conference programs by sending affiliate chairs the online form to fill out and return to ARC soon after their Annual Conference; and prepare a hotlinked calendar of upcoming library association proposed programs.

Nominating Committee

The committee conducted all of its business through e-mail and telephone calls during the months of October and November 2004, identifying at least two candidates each for the offices of CRG vice-chair/chair-elect and secretary. Since both of these offices are key positions within CRG, we sought candidates who were currently involved with CRG or who had been associated with CRG in some capacity in the recent past. Candidates for the office of secretary were informed of the secretary’s new responsibility to assist the ALCTS Office with data entry for its content management system.

Speakers’ Bureau Committee

With revision of the CRG Speakers’ Bureau Information Form under their belts, committee members were eager to address locating additional names for their directory of vetted experts on technical services topics willing to speak at no cost beyond expenses. Discussion of the possibility of waiving membership in ALCTS or ALA as a requirement for inclusion in the directory ensued, and a recommendation to the CRG Executive Committee concerning new parameters of eligibility will be submitted.

Efforts to advertise the directory were considered. Members agreed that the flyer should be submitted to ALCTS Newsletter Online and be distributed at conferences and meetings of pertinent library organizations. Apart from debating the pros and cons of eliminating ALA Midwinter Meetings (which has received renewed attention), the committee focused much of its attention on the ALA Ahead to 2010 Strategic Plan. The committee felt comfortable with the draft plan, but made several suggestions emphasizing the organizational value of communicating frequently and regularly with members, and indicated how the Speakers’ Bureau could continue to contribute to goals and objectives relating to fostering continuing education efforts and supporting career development opportunities.

back to top

   Acquisitions Section (AS)

Acquisitions Organization and Management Committee

The chair reported regarding our cosponsorship of a program proposal for Chicago titled “Innovations in E-Journal Management.” The meeting then shifted to planning for the 2005 preconference, “Implementing Electronic Resource Management Tools.” Selection and confirmation of speakers were discussed, and duties associated with the mechanics of the preconference were assigned. Finally the ALA Draft Strategic Plan was discussed, and it was decided that comments would be sent to and compiled by the chair before being submitted to ALA.

Education Committee

The committee discussed past committee activities, including previous efforts to coordinate an Acquisitions Section preconference on the Business of Acquisitions: Electronic Resources Management. The chair relayed information and highlights from the ALCTS Education Committee meeting, using Trisha Davis’ “Fundamentals of Acquisitions” Web course as a benchmark for other Fundamentals courses. Davis put forth the idea that the paperwork and administrative elements involved in offering ALCTS acquisitions Web classes would be better handled by the AS Education Committee, perhaps allowing the committee to monitor content and assist in evaluating and adapting new content each time courses are offered. The committee is cosponsoring a program in Chicago, “How to Assess Your Vendors’ Financial Viability.”

Leadership in Library Acquisitions Award Committee

The award jury considered the nominations and made a recommendation to the Acquisitions Section Executive Committee to present the award to two individuals.

Nominating Committee

The committee did not meet at Midwinter in Boston. They worked via conference call prior to the conference, and a slate of candidates was submitted to the ALCTS Office.

Policy and Planning Committee

The committee is ahead of its section review schedule, and there were no committees, discussion groups, or interest groups to review at this time. Two committees are up for review by Midwinter 2006: Publications and Policy & Planning. A self-study document will be prepared for our committee. It was agreed that the committee could complete its work during one meeting a year. The advantage of reducing meetings from two to one a year is that we could include members on the committee who cannot commit to four ALA Conferences and Meetings.

We are only performing the last part of our committee charge. We need to remind the AS executive board of the rest of our charge. If it is no longer part of our duties, we should update the charge. As ALA implements its strategic plan, will there be more for AS Policy & Planning involvement? Will Policy & Planning involve more outreach? We also discussed continuity as the terms of four members end in June 2005.

Publications Committee

The committee received the report of the Foreign Book Dealers Directory Subcommittee (FBDDS). Its chair updated the Committee on FBDDS’S ongoing project of a Web directory that combines all three print directories. The template for input of vendor data has been created, and FBDDS members will begin data entry. Asia/Pacific vendor data lost in the University of Hawaii flood can be recovered. FBDDS plans completion of the Web directory by ALA Annual.

The ALCTS Publication Committee has directed AS Publications Committee to look into revision of two guides, Guide to Performance Evaluation of Library Materials Vendors (1988) and Statistics for Managing Library Acquisitions (1989). For the former, a new author will be sought; for the latter, the previous author will be contacted about preparing a new edition.

ALCTS Publications has asked that two guides be reissued: Guide to Managing Approval Plans (1998) by Susan Flood and Guide to Preservation in Acquisitions Processing (1993) by Marsha Hamilton. Authors will be contacted.

Progress on three current projects was reviewed. A proposal for Guide to Acquiring Audio-Visual Materials by Gary Handeman is due to AS Publications in June 2005. A proposal to AS Publications for Guide to Internet Purchasing by Nancy Gibbs is due June 2005. An author has yet to be identified for Guide to Collecting, Analyzing and Presenting Acquisitions Data. The committee will be looking for an author.

The AS Publications Committee noted that the Web publication Acquisitions Bibliography (1997) needs updating. The Committee will submit a proposal to the AS Executive Committee.A person to lead this effort has been identified.

Foreign Book Dealers Directories Series Subcommittee

The template for data entry from fall 2002 surveys is nearly ready. The front end for users and searching capability have not yet been developed. The chair has been in touch with ITTS person at ALA who is doing the work. Three committee members will enter the new edition data into the template. One will work with the programmer to complete other components.

Data from Asia/Pacific survey was lost in University of Hawaii flood this past fall. Members arrived at a decision about how to deal with lost data. On member will query a few libraries for further updates to the 2002 data. One member has offered to serve as editor for adds and changes for a period of one year after the new version is up and running. We will recommend the subcommittee be disbanded at that time.

Research and Statistics Committee

The committee continued working on logistics for a program in Chicago titled “Why Can’t Johnnie and Jane Get Published: Part 2, Research Methodologies.” At the end of this program, participants will have a better understanding on formats and structure of research papers; will be able to select and use appropriate research methods and the tools of data collection to carry out projects; and will be able to interpretresearch findings and prepare a research paper for publication. SS Research and Publications, CCS Research and Publications, and ACRL Research committees are co-sponsoring this program. Four speakers have enthusiastically committed to this program: Trisha Davis, Peggy Johnson, Barbara Moran, and Donald Riggs.

Technology Committee

Did not meet.

back to top

   Cataloging and Classification Section (CCS)

Cataloging: Asian and African Materials Committee

The committee discussed its charge and membership composition. Brought a motion to MARBI, urging MARBI to expand the Character repertoire to include the Unicode Universal Character Set (UCS) beyond that included in the MARC-8 subset. Further efforts will be necessary. Discussed revisions to Dewey Decimal Classification and expansion of Islamic Law subject headings. There are some concerns with AACR3 coverage on cataloging non-roman language materials. The committee is planning a program on promoting PCC participation among area studies communities in 2006.

Cataloging: Description and Access Committee

The committee held two meetings as well as an important joint task force meeting. The major business at all of these meetings was discussion of the draft of Part 1 of AACR3, issued on December 17, 2004, for comment by the Joint Steering Committee for Revision of AACR. This draft marks the first significant step towards a new edition of the cataloging rules, which have been given the provisional title AACR3: Resource Description and Access. The draft was prepared by the new editor of AACR3, Tom Delsey, in consultation with the JSC. Part 1 of AACR3 covers description, and consists of general rules plus sections of supplementary rules for specific types of content and for specific types of media.

Consideration of the draft began at a joint meeting of the CC:DA task forces—Consistency across Part I, Early Materials, FRBR, and SMDs—that have been involved in preliminary work leading to the draft. At the first CC:DA meeting, Jennifer Bowen, the ALA representative to JSC, reported on the recent JSC meeting and gave background of plans for AACR3, followed by a report from the task forces meeting and the first part of a general discussion of the Part 1 draft, on objectives and principles of the draft. This discussion continued at the second CC:DA meeting, where major topics of discussion were GMDs, SMDs, and chief source. All comments on the draft are due to CC:DA by February 14, 2005, and the official ALA response is due to the JSC on March 28, 2005.

In addition to the discussion of the Part 1 draft, CC:DA heard a report from ALA Publishing Services by Donald Chatham. Other business included: a report from the Library of Congress representative, Barbara Tillett; reports from two task forces planning programs for the 2005 Annual Conference (one on AACR3 and one on Cataloging Cultural Objects ); a report from the MARBI Representative, Everett Allgood; a report from ALA’s NISO representative, Betty Landesman; a report from CC:DA Web master John Attig; a report from the task force that maintains “Differences”; and a report from a task force charged to investigate CC:DA’s Web presence. A proposal from the Serials Section to revise an example in rule 12.3G1 was favorably considered.

For further details and links to some of the documents, see the meeting agenda.

Cataloging of Children’s Materials Committee

The committee focused on three major projects: the editor of Cataloging Correctly for Kids, 4th ed., presented a progress report; the expected completion date for the edited manuscript is April 1, 2005. It will be then forwarded to ALA Editions. Logistics for the 2005 Annual program in Chicago, “Cataloging for School Librarians,” were reviewed. Additional Web sites for the Web publication “Resources for Catalogers of Children’s Materials” will be submitted so that the project may be completed by June 2005.

Education, Training, and Recruitment for Cataloging Committee

The committee approved the expansion of the Mentoring Subcommittee. Support for the mentoring database, currently on the server of a subcommittee member, will be sought from ALCTS. However, it is unclear whether ALCTS will be able to provide this support. Links or information regarding the two CETRC subcommittees (Mentoring and Continuing Education) on the ALCTS Web site is needed. The draft revision of the Web publication “Training Catalogers in the Electronic Era” was approved with a few minor revisions.

A proposal for a program for Annual 2006 will be developed, and cosponsorship with ALISE may be sought. The program would take the form of a panel discussion regarding entry-level professional cataloging positions: Do they exist? Can someone without experience actually get one? Are the expectations of employers in synch with what is being taught in LIS programs? Sylvia Hall-Ellis will take the lead in developing the proposal, and will also represent CETRC at the SPECTRUM Institute; it is hoped that at least a draft version of the “Cataloging Recruitment Toolkit” will be available for distribution.

Margaret Mann Citation Committee

The committee reviewed nominations before Midwinter and selected the citation winner for this year.

Nominating Committee

The committee transacted all its business electronically before conference and did not meet.

Policy and Planning Committee

The committee held a CCS Strategic Planning Forum, which twenty-three CCS members attended. The major themes raised by the group for consideration in the ALCTS Plan include role of catalogers; retirements and changing demographics; continuing education on managerial skills and mentoring; continuing education on advocacy skills; “just-in-time” continuing education; ALCTS Web site—access, currency, communication tool, ALCTS e-mail discussion group and list, and organizational repository; conduct, promote, and distribute research on end-user studies to determine effectiveness of cataloging, and so on; clearinghouse of ALA and outside research and promote program possibilities; tension between professional and paraprofessional needs; reorganize and streamline bureaucratic structures; eliminate redundancy created by Acquisitions, Cataloging and Serials divisions. Committee charge reviews for Executive, Nominating, and Margaret Mann Citation are underway.

Research and Publications Committee

The committee met with the chair of Cataloging of Children’s Materials (CCM), to discuss progress on the 4th edition of Cataloging Correctly for Kids, which is now under Sheila Intner’s editorial direction. The chair also brought the committee up to speed on a proposed Web publication, slated for a June 2005 release. They met with the program planner for the Chicago program, “Why Can’t Johnnie and Jane Get Published?” They discussed essay assignments: the FRBR essay is ready for review, as is one on authority control. An essay tentatively titled, “Applying MARC and AACR to Electronic Resources,” will be ready by the March 31 deadline. It’s possible that two additional essays will be ready by this time as well. They will discuss via e-mail the publications to be reviewed this spring from the ALCTS “List of Publications for Review.” There’s only one CCS publication remaining in this document.

Subject Analysis Committee

The committee voted to establish Subcommittee on FAST; established a Subcommittee on LCC Training Materials (as part of the combined PCC SCT/CCS SAC Task Force on Library of Congress Classification Training); and extended the life of the Task Force on Named Buildings and Other Structures through Annual 2005

The SAC Liaison to MARBI led a discussion of MARBI Discussion Paper 2005-01 “Subject Access to Images.” The OCLC representative gave an update on the FAST project, and the chair of the Subcommittee on FAST reported on the activities of the Subcommittee’s first meeting. The Liaison from the Library of Congress Decimal Classification Division led a discussion of Dewey draft schedule 741.5 (Cartoons, caricatures, comics, graphic novels, fotonovelas).

The Committee discussed the ALA Strategic Plan, proposed a number of possible additions and changes, and heard a report on the LC Action Plan Forum.

back to top

   Collection Management and Development Section (CMDS)

Collection Development and Electronic Resources Committee

The committee discussed the upcoming program at Annual 2005 titled “Print in the Post-Electronic World: When Just in Case Becomes Just in Time.” Speakers committed to participate at this time are: Bill DeJohn, executive director of Minitex; Jim Dooley, UC Merced Library; and Carol MacAdam, JSTOR. Four possible committees were identified to serve as cosponsors and will be contacted to assess their interest. It was agreed that putting on programs is something we do well and should continue doing in the future.

Following from a previous discussion about developing a syllabus on collecting electronic resources, various program resources, such as speaker PowerPoint presentations, the bibliography and notes on the presentations, may be mounted on the ALCTS Web site to make materials available to those that could not attend the program. We will pursue this with the Education Committee.

Education Committee

The committee focused on developing a Web course on fundamentals of collection management and development, and considering for a preconference session in 2006. Several committee members will be surveying what other ALA divisions (such as PLA and ACRL) are doing to see if there might be an opportunity for collaboration on a Web course. Committee members brainstormed ideas for a preconference. A small group of committee members is charged with planning a preconference session on issues relating to evaluation and assessment of collections.

Policy and Planning Committee

The committee had a long discussion on the various elements of the ALA Ahead to 2010 plan. There were several recommendations for revision, additions, and changes. The feedback was reported to the Planning Committee.

Publications Committee

The committee discussed the first three guides of the Sudden Selector series (Visual Art, Business, Children’s Literature). The CMDS Executive Committee and ALCTS Publications have approved all three publications. Authors were asked for first drafts by Annual Conference. Also discussed other potential topics for the Sudden Selector series and potential authors, and agreed to review past CMDS publications in order to determine which could be revised. Discussed the draft ALA Ahead 2010 strategic plan, and devised a response to be submitted to the CMDS Executive Committee.

Quantitative Measures for Collection Management Committee

The committee discussed a survey drafted to assess interest in the North American Title Count (changes to a survey developed by the North American Title Count Subcommittee in 2004), designed to assess interest in and the perceived value of the count to librarians involved with collection development. The group agreed the survey should be conducted as early as possible in the spring of 2005 so results may be reported on and recommendations for future assessment of collections growth may be developed at ALA Annual Conference in Chicago. Also discussed the draft document ALA Plan 2010 and programs the committee could develop for ALA Annual 2006 and beyond.

back to top

   Preservation and Reformatting Section (PARS)

Books and Paper: Methods, Materials, Standards Committee

The committee heard reports from the two PARS discussion groups and discussed the upcoming renewal of the library binding standard (Z38.78) and ALA’s draft strategic plan. Will inquire about reissuing the Guide to Library Binding in anticipation of the upcoming binding preconference at Annual. It was also noted that the guide is fast becoming outdated and may require a new edition in the future.

The committee is working on a project to create a bibliography to be mounted on the Conservation Online Web site, with annotations by committee members. The subject is conservation lab design and is intended to share information with preservation and conservation professionals throughout the world.

Education Committee

The committee suggested that the next discussion group meeting dealing with core competencies discuss ways of improving communication between ALISE, PARS, and the LAMA/Library Organization and Management Section, as well as the new library support staff section. A forum will be planned based on the outcomes of this discussion. A core competencies policy statement, in keeping with the ALCTS Educational Policy and parallel to the AIC policy, should be generated by or with the Policy, Planning, and Research Committee that addresses all levels of librarianship—library faculty, professionals, and support staff. It should be recommended that all ALCTS offerings offer course credits to ensure wide participation in the field.

It was agreed at the Annual Conference 2005 to discuss mechanisms for updating the content and information of the Preservation Education Directory, 8th ed., recently updated to improve form and usefulness on the Web.

Program Planning and Publications Committee

The committee suggested that the PARS liaison to the ALCTS Program Committee be a member of the PARS PPP Committee to make the flow of information smoother.

Publications: ALISE will be alerted to the existence of the Preservation Education Directory. The Library Binding Handbook will be revised this spring and sent for approval at Annual 2005. Preservation Managers’ Guide to Cost Analysis will be reviewed in April and for submission at Annual 2005. The Banks/Pilette book ( Preservation: Issues and Planning) will be reviewed for possible revision and republication. The NISO revision is imminent, so we can suggest that the guide be revised by PARS. CoOL may be a better place for webliographies having to do with preservation than the ALA Web site. We will check on why ALA has stopped publishing the guide to the library binding standard.

Programs: Program Liaison duties were outlined:

  • contact program organizers to identify self as liaison;
  • inform or remind program organizers about deadlines and try to keep them on schedule;
  • encourage publications based on the program; and
  • advertise or help advertise program to appropriate electronic discussion lists.

Three programs are scheduled for Annual 2005—Analog and Digital Preservation Policy/Technology: Managing Transitions I and II; Preservation Education Needs for the Next Generation of Information Professionals; and Saving Sound in Small Collections: Identifying Endangered Recordings and Planning for Preservation—as well as two preconferences on library binding and preservation. Three programs will be proposed for Annual 2006: Saving Sound Part II; Mold; and Digital Preservation, a three-hour program to address what to do with digital files (whether born digital or not). Possible annual 2007 Programs are: Saving Sound Part III, and Saving Family Treasures.

Recording and Photographic Media: Methods, Materials, Standards Committee

The committee discussed its proposed series of ALA Annual Conference programs, and directions, tasks, and focus for the committee’s future work. It finalized speakers for its June 2005 program, “Preservation of Audio Collections: Identifying Endangered Recordings and Planning for Preservation.” Also reviewed were the proposal for the 2006 program, “Saving Sound in Small Collections: Introduction to Preservation,” and the 2007 program on audio reformatting and digitization.

With this lineup of programs in process, the group decided its primary focus for the next three years is education. Additional interest in building awareness of existing resources on audio preservation led to the discussion of, and initial work on, a bibliography and webliography of resources, and a vendor, consultant, and supplier list as handouts for the 2005 conference that can be repurposed as continuing tools. These lists will include references to existing and in-process audio preservation standards.

The committee decided to focus its discussion at the ALA Annual 2005 meeting on preservation of moving images and video.

Reformatting: Analog and Digital Committee

The committee heard a report from the Reformatting Discussion Group, where two digital repository representatives (LOCKSS and OCLC) spoke. A possible program idea for New Orleans on digital repositories was discussed, based on response from audience at discussion group. The PARS liaison to AIIM presented an AIIM standards report. He mentioned that there is a new group (DQIP) starting up that will look at digital preservation. We might need a liaison from ALCTS/PARS to such a group.

The majority of time was spent finalizing plans for the two programs being offered by the committee at Annual in Chicago. The discovery via the preliminary program listing and descriptions pamphlet that there was already a PARS program for Chicago discussing preservation of recorded sound threw us for a loop, as one of our panel topics was reformatting of recorded sound.

back to top

   Serials Section (SS)

Acquisitions Committee

In reviewing the ALCTS strategic plan, the committee considered the suggestion that committee members should not have to attend Midwinter and Annual. The chair would still need to come to both meetings for program planning unless the technology was enhanced and the programming process was automated further. The committee felt that the Web site should support electronic discussion groups, and the site should be more functional and useful to committees and volunteers who want to join committees. Posting minutes and work that is occurring on committees will generate interest and participation from other members.

The committee also discussed the ALCTS publications process with the chair of the SS committee on publications, including how the process works and how long it takes for the ALCTS Publications Committee to review a proposal. We are considering having our presenters formalize their presentations into papers, and we hope to get these papers published as a part of a paper series or in LRTS.

In addition, the committee met with the four speakers for its program “Innovations in E-Journal Management” to review logistics for the program.

Four members met after the meeting to discuss the glossary situation. Two members of the committee will be asked to head a subcommittee to work on the glossary and its supplement, and combine the two documents into one. When completed, we will ask ALCTS Publications to put the document on the Web site as a flat file.

Bowker/Ulrich Serials Librarianship Award Committee

The committee met to determine a candidate for the award. Three nominations were submitted. The jury considered all of the submissions and came to a unanimous conclusion on the winner of the 2005 award. The jury also considered the chair’s proposal to have the procedures for the award process formalized, written, and mounted on the Serials Section’s ALCTS Web site.

Continuing Resources Cataloging (formerly Serials Cataloging) Committee

The first meeting included discussions of ALA Ahead to 2010, ALCTS planning, ALCTS Web site suggestions and enhancement requests, and the Committee’s involvement in AACR3. It will submit collective written comments on the planning documents and ALCTS Web site, and each member will submit comments on the draft AACR3 Part 1 to our CC:DA liaison, who will compile them and forward them to CC:DA.

The second meeting served as a public forum for the continuing resources cataloging community, encompassing reports from LC, ISSN/NSDP, CC:DA and CONSER, as well as ALA’s representative to JSC for Revision of AACR, who reported on AACR3; and the senior policy specialist and chief of the Cataloging Policy and Support Office, Library of Congress, each spoke respectively about integrating resources cataloging, and FRBR and serials.

Education Committee

Iin discussing the strategic plan, the committee considered the suggestion that committee members should not have to attend both Midwinter and Annual. The chair would need to come to both meetings for program planning unless the programming process became more automated. The committee felt that the Web site should support electronic discussion groups, and discussed changes needed to make it more functional and useful for committees and volunteers who want to join committees. We need to focus on putting up minutes and actual work that is occurring on committees in order to generate interest and participation from other members.

The committee also discussed the ALCTS publications process with the chair of the section’s Publications Committee: how to the process works, and how long it takes for the division Publications Committee to review a proposal. We are considering having our presenters formalize their presentations into papers. We hope to get these papers published as a part of a paper series or LRTS. The committee met with the speakers for our program “Innovations in E-Journal Management,” and discussed the logistics of the program. A small group discussed the glossary situation and decided to form a subcommittee to work on the glossary and its supplement, and combine the two documents into one, with a goal of putting the document on the Web site as a flat file.

First Step Award Committee

The commitee met electronically September 2004–January 7, 2005 to discuss, promote, and identify potential candidates for the award. The information was distributed to all appropriate state, regional, and national discussion lists. Eight candidates submitted information for consideration. The award jury considered the nominations and made a recommendation to the Serials Section executive board to present the award to one of the candidates.

Nominating Committee

The committee transacted all its business electronically before conference and did not meet.

Policy and Planning Committee

The commitee agreed that committees and other groups seem to be reporting on activities rather than on their future plans, and that existing tactical initiatives are getting tweaked rather than new initiatives added. Planning needs to be more fully integrated into the culture of ALCTS groups at every level. Members will follow up with their assigned section committees and groups to communicate these issues, acting more as liaisons now. Some discussion on how this role will need to evolve and our need to stay flexible in gathering the information from committees doing this well, while following up with those who need some assistance or encouragement with the process. Section discussion groups are to be reviewed, and the process for this activity was confirmed, including how to transition to an interest group if desired.

Research and Publications Committee

The 1972 publication Guidelines for Library Orders for Microforms will be revised. A small task group will work on proposal and revisions. Discussed future publication ideas, including a possible series on notable serialists. The commitee also discussed role of support staff in publication process, and met with the section’s Education and Acquisitions committees to review the publication process.

Serials Standards Committee

The committee will update the Serials Standards Bibliography by Annual 2005; created a timeline for developing the next Serials Standard Update Forum; and discussed the ALA draft strategic plan and provided feedback about the draft to the section.

Union Lists of Serials Committee

An OCLC representative gave an update on the many changes that are scheduled to take place over the next months in OCLC’s Union Listing Module, including the adoption of MARC 21 for holdings, the demise of Passport, and the birth of a union listing module in the browser version of Connexion. This led to a discussion about the future of union listing in general and libraries’ needs in regard to the inputting and exporting of serials holdings, and the critical relationship between serials union listing and interlibrary loan activities.

Because these issues relate directly to ALCTS’ promotion of standards and best practices, the committee decided to purse two short-term activities. The first effort will be to create and distribute a written document outlining an ideal future for union listing, addressing union listing in a very broad perspective, including the various needs and concerns of people in different parts of the profession, as well as the needs of library patrons. The second effort will be to instigate more direct communication between those of us immersed in the world of union listing and those individuals working in interlibrary loan. Various ways that this might be pursued were explored.

Worst Serial Title Change of the Year Award Committee

The committee was asked to review the purpose of the committee and to determine if the nature of the award was still appropriate. It was also asked to consider offering other awards with positive connotations. The group agreed that in the current serial environment, where difficulties abound, the award is no longer appropriate and it would be much more meaningful to recognize special efforts, particularly those efforts that demonstrate successful collaboration.

Therefore, the committee recommends that an award for the best collaborative effort that improves any aspect of the serial world should be developed. The collaboration can be among publishers, vendors, libraries, ILS companies, and other library related relationships. The key factor is that the results of a collaborative effort must considerably enhance the serial working environment.

The committee also recommends that the selection should have approximately three to five finalists and one winner of the award. The work of the finalists should be described, so that the greater serial community gains from the knowledge of the work being done in different arenas and the finalists get recognition for their contributions.

back to top