ALCTS Newletter Online - Vol 15 No 4

Bureau: members were thanked and congratulated for their work these past six months updating entries in the Speakers' Bureau Directory. The twin objectives of achieving this update and at long last establishing secure online availability of the Directory on the CRG Web site were finally accomplished. The Directory as it stands today is both current and online accessible -- rejoice!

The committee wishes to improve and increase both the size of the list and publicity about the Directory. The process of updating entries -- correcting addresses, removing names that are no longer valid, etc. -- reduced the number of entries significantly. Each member will try to recruit two new names to the list before the 2005 ALA Midwinter meeting. The committee will redesign the Speakers' Bureau Information Form, investigate ways to determine the effectiveness of the Directory, and create a procedure to vet prospective directory entries.

Once again, the question of eligibility for inclusion in the Directory was raised. The requirement that all names in the Directory be ALCTS members continues to be debated. While the committee recognizes that the Directory was originally conceived as a prerogative of membership in ALCTS, there is feeling that its purpose of assisting and educating various groups as they plan programs and events is diluted by the exclusion of relevant speakers solely on the basis of ALCTS non-membership. While the committee came to no decision on this issue, they asked that it again be addressed by those setting policies for the CRG Speakers' Bureau.

To raise awareness of the Directory, members will explore repositioning information about the list on the ALCTS Web site. A handout describing the Directory will be created. The intent is that this will be distributed at meetings, conferences, ALCTS' information booths and/or sent out in appropriate ALCTS mailings.

Back to the Top

Acquisitions Section (AS)

Acquisitions Organization and Management: met to discuss our proposal for a session on electronic resources management systems during ALA 2005. Guests Rosann Bazirjian, Eleanor Cook, Christa Easton, and Lisa German related the opinion of AS leadership that this topic would be more appropriate as a half-day pre-conference. The committee resolved to re-do the proposal as a pre-conference. We will spend the next few months refining topics and developing a list of potential speakers, then preparing concrete plans to the program committee at the 2005 mid-winter meeting.

Education: met with members of the Acquisitions Organization and Management Committee to discuss the possibility of expanding AOM's topic for a program into the Business of Acquisitions preconference. The topic, Electronic Resources Management (ERM), should fit well into the new half-day format for preconferences. A steering committee will move forward with this idea. The committee completed the evaluation and review by the ALCTS AS Policy and Planning Committee. The committee discussed the task of gathering information to establish core competencies for acquisitions librarians. Establishing core competencies is also being discussed in the ALCTS Education Committee; the AS Education Committee agreed to monitor the progress of the ALCTS Education Committee and review this item at a later date.

Policy and Planning: reviewed and accepted the evaluation questionnaire responses from the Nominating Committee and the Leadership in Library Acquisitions Award Committee. The incoming chair will send the evaluation questionnaire to the chair of the Publications Committee prior to the 2005 Midwinter conference. The committee will also complete the evaluation questionnaire for this review period. The request for archiving committee files was sent via e-mail on June 4th to the five AS committee chairs whose committees were not currently under review. The archiving of committee files will provide for future continuity within committees and assist with the review process.

The committee discussed changes to the review schedule timetable, focusing on the merged discussion groups. It was agreed that the content for the previously reviewed discussion groups would be maintained for historical reasons, and that a new line would be added for the newly merged Acquisitions Managers and Vendors Discussion Group.

Publications: two proposals have been approved: Guide to Managing Workflows in Acquisitions by Jack Montgomery; and Guide to Creating an RFP by Karen Wilhoit. The proposal for a Guide to Acquiring Audio-Visual Materials has been put on hold until summer 2005. One author is interested in writing a Guide to Internet Purchasing and is in the process of locating a co-author. A number of other potential authors will be contacted. A proposal for Guidelines for Handling Library Orders for In-Print Monographs was approved with revisions.

The committee reviewed the following ALCTS Acquisitions Guides and made the following recommendations; members offered to take the lead with each of the publications to be revised.

  • Guide to Microforms, No. 3 (1977) --- Retire, and ask the SS Publications Committee to consider updating.
  • Guide to Performance Evaluations of Library Materials Vendors, No. 5 (1988) -- Revise.
  • Guide to Statistics for Managing Library Acquisitions, No. 6 (1989) -- Revise.
  • Guide to Preservation in Acquisitions Processing, No. 8 (1993) -- Reissue -- contact author prior to reissuing for any updates.
  • Guide to Managing Approval Plans, No. 11 (1998) -- Reissue -- contact author prior to reissuing for any updates.

The committee asked about the status of the ALCTS Statement on Principles and Standards of Acquisitions Practice. It will be raised with the AS Executive Committee to see what has happened. It was noted that the ALCTS Syllabus for a Course or Course Unit for Acquisitions that is posted on the Web is very outdated and needs to be revised.

A suggestion was made that a request for authors and ideas be put out on the discussion lists, to generate more interest in publishing.

Foreign Book Dealers Directories Series Subcommittee: the new Web edition of our publication has been approved. ALA's IT department will write a country validation script, and the list already created will serve as the authority file. IT will also create a template for our data entry process. The Web publication will be divided into six sections, not three as agreed last winter. We will combine the "sources of information" and forward into a single page, and the "search" feature will cover vendor names (as keywords) and "supply to" country names for each vendor. Clicking "search" on the main page will retrieve a page with instructions and examples.

There will be an administration page (for committee members) that will display the entire list in alphabetical order by vendor name. There will be three categories of edit: add new record; edit existing record; and inactivate record. There will be a "tell us" link on every page of the document; this feature will send comments and corrections to a designated committee member, who will rotate this assignment in perhaps six months segments.

Research and Statistics: It was suggested last winter that the committee consider planning an institute based on its 2003 Annual program, "Why Can't Johnnie and Jane Get Published: Research Basics." Planning has begun: the potential speakers and moderator have been identified and contacted, and a potential co-sponsorship was contacted and they have expressed interest in the program.

The committee is also planning a program for the 2005 Annual Conference in Chicago, as a second part of the research series. The title is "Why Can't Johnnie and Jane Get Published: Part 2, Research Methodologies." The anticipated outcome is that participants will have a better understanding of formats and structure for research papers; will be able to select and use appropriate research methods and the tools of data collection to carry out a project; and will be able to interpret research findings and compose a research paper for publication. The format of the program will be panel presentations and interactive discussions. The estimated size of audience will be 120-150. The LAMA Research Committee and ACRL Research Committee have expressed interest in co-sponsorship, and the ALCTS Publications Committee will be contacted for potential co-sponsorship. The committee will continue working on planning the program between now and the ALA Midwinter Meeting in January 2005, via e-mail, telephone, and fax. The committee will also confirm with speakers, moderator, and co-sponsorship.

Technology: The chair reported on the decision by the Acquisitions Section chair and the ALCTS Publications Committee not to go forward with the online vendor directory. The chair noted that the Subcommittee on Vendor Research and Development has been disbanded and thanked the members for their work on the directory.

The committee completed final arrangements for the program to be presented the next day: Acquisitions Technology Trends: Changing the Way We Do Business. The committee agreed to work toward presenting a program at the 2006 Annual Conference in New Orleans. Possible topics are acquisitions issues related to electronic resources management systems, or the use of Onix data in acquisitions.

Back to the Top

Cataloging and Classification Section (CCS)

Cataloging: Asian and African Materials: discussed the joint program held with ACRL/SEES on "Library catalogs and non-Roman scripts: Development and implementation of Unicode for cataloging and public access." Although one speaker from Germany was not able to be present, the program was well received, and about 200 people attended. The program presentations will be mounted on ALCTS Web site for one year; and Joan Aliprand (RLG) graciously offered to mount the program presentations on the Unicode Consortium Web site after the year.

A draft proposal to MARBI on consolidating character repertoire expansion using MARC8 was brought back again. It was tabled at the 2004 Midwinter with two decisions: to study the proposal and get input from systems vendors regarding technical aspects (e.g., expanding MARC8 for other ALA/LC non-roman scripts to match up Unicode encoding, as opposed to providing Unicode only for new scripts/new characters in existing scripts); and to get input from area studies specialists about prioritizing non-Roman scripts in ALA/LC Romanization tables to be expanded in MARC character repertoire, and make recommendation to MARBI/LC through the official ALA liaison. The Committee agreed with this proposal conceptually but felt it did not have the expertise to review and approve it from technical perspective. The committee approved a motion to urge MARBI to expand the Character Repertoire to include the Unicode Universal Character Set (UCS) beyond that in the MARC-8 subset. As a by-product of the draft proposal review, the committee also discussed to whom to make recommendations on which language scripts have higher needs over others to be implemented in library local systems. An Automation Vendor Interest Group (AVIG) under NISO was identified.

The chair of task force on Developing Islamic Law Subject Headings reported that work on expanding Islamic law subject headings continues. He also plans to have experts in this field test the LC draft classification schedule KBP.

ALA/LC Chinese Pinyin Romanization Guidelines (Feb.2004 revision) were reviewed and discussed. This revision recommended three changes to promote consistency of application. The feedback from CEAL indicates that one of the instructions is being misinterpreted by or can mislead some CEAL members. It could lead to practices in conflict with the proposal's purpose. The Committee suggested sending the revision back for clarification.

Several program ideas Annual 2006 were discussed: PCC and participation in area studies libraries; Use of Internet in cataloging vernacular resources; Cataloging electronic resources in Metadata using vernaculars; Chinese geographic names; and Comparative studies on authority control in Hong Kong and Beijing.

Developing Central Asian Romanization Tables was proposed at 2003 Midwinter for some Central Asian Languages that were formally using the Cyrillic alphabet. It's good time to get this project started and one member offered to lead it and enlist languages experts to work with him. One member brought a draft proposal of an expansion of DDC to cover all the provinces of Indonesia. This draft will be sent out to appropriate groups for comments.

Cataloging: Description and Access: heard two important reports, from Matthew Beacom (ALA Representative to the Joint Steering Committee) who reported on JSC plans for a new edition of the Anglo-American Cataloguing Rules; and Barbara Tillett (Library of Congress) on the IFLA meetings of International Cataloguing Experts on an International Cataloguing Code, which took place in Frankfurt in July 2003 and produced a draft Statement of International Cataloging Principles. The first meeting also included reports from the Chair, from the Library of Congress Representative (Tillett), from ALA Publishing by Donald E. Chatham, and from the ALCTS/ACRL Task Force on Cataloging Rules for Early Printed Monographs.

The second CC:DA meeting included reports from several task forces:

  • CC:DA/MARBI Program Planning Committee for 2004 Preconference: this successful one and one half day preconference took place on June 24 and 25, and demonstrated how FRBR will influence the future development of information standards within the library community, and acquaint technical services and IT professionals with the implications of the FRBR model for cataloging rules, MARC formats and other emerging standards for electronic technologies.

  • The Task Force on Consistency across Part 1 of AACR presented a brief report. The Task Force is working on rules for physical description for the new edition of AACR (now called, within CC:DA, AACR3). The TF's "straw man" work on area 5 of AACR3 is due to CC:DA at the end of July, and to JSC in early August.

  • The Task Force on Specific Material Designations is temporarily on hold while CC:DA finds out how working on AACR3 will work.

The meeting also included discussion of new rule revision proposals from the Map and Geography Round Table (MAGERT), and reports from the MARBI representative (Everett Allgood), from the CC:DA Webmaster (John Attig), and from the ALA NISO Representative (Betty Landesman).

Cataloging of Children's Materials: is awaiting formal approval of its submission for a Web publication, tentatively entitled Resources for Catalogers of Children's Materials. Discussion included work done to date on this project, and how to proceed when approval is received.

A proposal for a program for 2005 Annual Conference, tentatively titled "Cataloging for School Librarians: It's Child's Play! Or Is It?" was presented to the ALCTS Program Committee. Based on feedback, changes to the proposal, work done to date on this program, and how to proceed once approval is received were discussed.

The revised edition of Cataloging Correctly for Kids was discussed. The status of each chapter was shared, and procedures for completing the updates were developed.

Education, Training and Recruitment for Cataloging: The Mentoring Subcommittee received 130 applications from interested students and was able to match 65 of them with mentors; they need another 65 additional mentors, and will request that the database be moved to the ALCTS Web site. The Program Subcommittee went over the details of the Program on Mentoring that was held on Sunday afternoon. .

CETRC members wrote a charge and recruited members for a newly established Continuing Education Subcommittee, which will begin its work after the annual conference. Since Midwinter 2004, CETRC prepared two publication proposals which were approved by the ALCTS/CCS Research and Publications Committee and the Executive Committee: a revision of Training Catalogers in the Electronic Era, to be completed by December 2004; and a Web publication, Cataloging Recruitment Toolkit, to be completed by July 2005.

The ALCTS Education Committee will be revising its policy statement, and is soliciting suggestions on the appendix, "Knowledge and skills." Members agreed to offer suggestions on the "Statement of Cataloger Education" to the CCS Executive Committee by September 2004.

CETRC continued the discussion begun at Midwinter of a potential involvement in the Spectrum Initiative. Because of budgetary reasons, ALCTS cannot commit to fund a spectrum scholar; the cost to fund one Spectrum Initiative scholar is $6500. It was suggested that CETRC participate in the Spectrum Leadership Initiative by making presentations on the importance of cataloging. Spectrum Scholars provide an excellent pool of potential applicants for positions in technical services. A fair percentage of the scholars have language skills that are needed to work in cataloging. Participation in this initiative would give visibility to ALCTS; this would be an excellent opportunity to mentor one of the scholars and to promote work in technical services at the scholars' Pre-Conference and with the recipient of the award.

There was a discussion of potential co-sponsorship by CC:DA and CETRC of the Rare Books Cataloging Institute. The CETRC Chair will investigate with CC:DA.

Policy and Planning: heard reports from CCS Executive Committee, ALCTS Planning Committee and Library of Congress. As a result of reviews of the CC:DA and CC:AAM charges, PPC made recommendations to CCS Executive Committee, which created a task force to look more closely into CC:DA issues and designated a person to look into the recommendations for CC:AAM about clarifying the roles of generalists and liaisons and reconfiguring the membership. PPC prepared for next year's charge review cycle that will include CCS Executive Committee, Nominating Committee and Margaret Mann Citation Committee. PPC will present a CCS Members' Forum at Midwinter 2005, for discussion and feedback on themes identified at the ALCTS Planning Retreat. Additionally, members will prepare a report for the CCS Executive Committee, in response to Janet Swan Hill's memo about giving bibliographic control a higher profile in the larger ALA organization.

Research and Publications: discussed two publication proposals: Salsa de Topicos, a bilingual monograph emanating from SAC's program at 2004 Annual; and Resources for Catalogers of Children's Materials, a supplement to CCM's Cataloging Correctly for Kids monograph; and reviewed our efforts towards achieving ALCTS' publication goals for 2003-2004.They also discussed ways to promote their essays, deciding to post notices on appropriate discussion lists, and to provide a brief mention in the ALCTS Newsletter Online.

Subject Analysis: co-sponsored a preconference, "Effective Subject Cataloging with LCSH," with the Program for Cooperative Cataloging for an audience of about 83 people. The materials developed for this preconference by the Subcommittee on Subject Analysis Training Materials will be used as training manuals for PCC subject training programs nationwide. The Subcommittee on Semantic Interoperability sponsored a program along with the Metadata Enrichment Task Force titled "Enriching Subject Access." The program was very well attended and received enthusiastic reviews. SAC co-sponsored a program, "SALSA de Topicos = Subjects in SALSA: Spanish and Latin American Subject Access" with Reforma. Attendees commented on the very high quality of the presentations and the opportunities for networking that the program provided.

Much of the meeting time was devoted to the usual complement of reports from SAC liaisons, representatives and subcommittee chairs. SAC took initial steps toward setting up two new subcommittees. One will be charged with providing feedback to members of the FAST project. The other will work with PCC to develop training modules for Library of Congress Classification, following the same procedures that were used to develop the training modules for Library of Congress Subject Headings.

There was a discussion of the treatment of graphic novels in the Dewey Decimal Classification scheme. Two representatives from comic book publishers attended the meeting and contributed to the discussion.

Back to the Top

Collection Management and Development Section (CMDS)

Administration of Collection Development: discussed ALCTS educational programming with its emphasis on practitioner-oriented initiatives. Several ideas for program topics were: managing serials in the new age; collection management as opposed to collection development; workflow for electronic journal management; and unfinished tasks after resource selection: publicity, use statistics, public presentation, and budget allocations/budget formulas. Information about any educational program must receive the widest possible dissemination. Without extensive publicity, even the best offerings won't get off the ground.

At their last meeting the committee considered holding a 2005 preconference on basic collection development, but because ALCTS recently sponsored a two-day institute in Chicago on that topic, it dropped the idea and turned its attention to vendor statistics and interpretation of vendor-provided statistics, which had been planned for a state-wide program that did not occur. The committee felt that a program on this topic for the 2005 ALA Annual Conference was possible, but a preconference needed the resources and support of the entire CMDS.

Members provided responses to the questions posed by the ALCTS and ALA strategic planning process. Suggestions to make ALA and ALCTS more useful included: curtailing the overlap of same-subject committees between two or more divisions, Web-based continuing education (Web-streaming), more electronic publications, fixing the current non-intuitive ALA Web site (which should be run and maintained by two people instead of seven committees), and an examination of the need to have both an ALA Midwinter Meeting and an ALA Annual Conference in the same calendar year.

Members discussed Mary Munroe's first draft of an article she wrote on a series of focus groups she conducted at the 2003 ALA Midwinter Meeting about collection development models. Committee members at that time assisted Ms. Munroe as observers, timekeepers and recorders. The current committee encouraged Ms. Munroe to submit her article for publication.

Collection Development and Electronic Resources: discussed its 2004 program "Who's Driving the E-Resource Collection Bus? GPS for an Uncertain Future" and assigned follow-up responsibilities.

Members discussed a possible program, "Print in the Post-Electronic World," covering such issues as:

  • activities at universities that are aggressively pursuing digitization activities;
  • decision-making about print: long-term storage and digitization;
  • dealing with print reserves;
  • how print decisions relate to monographs as well as serials;
  • collection development in relation to e-books - managing collections versus single titles.

This program would include representatives from universities, in particular those that have dealt with major projects such as off-site storage and consortia, to see what they have learned; a representative from a small institution that may not be able to rely on others; an international librarian, to look at the perspective of electronic as the primary resource because of economic or service issues; and a publishing representative, preferably a middle-of-the road publisher, to discuss how their decisions are made.

The proposal to create a syllabus on collection development of multiple formats focusing on electronic resources, including links to relevant listservs and educational resources, raised concerns about overlap with the Education Committee's activities. Further discussion of the content of the syllabus will be needed, but the group thought that this would be useful and that annual updating would be needed.

In discussing questions raised by ALA and ALCTS about what works well and needs to be changed, the following ideas were expressed by the committee:

  • better communication about what ALA is doing;
  • questions about the value and importance of the resolution about Iraq;
  • more work needs to be done on salary equity;
  • it appears that multiple committees are working on the same things -- which makes for lots of 'noise' and de-values the work of all;
  • no one knew what ALAction 2005 is.

The committee thought that the survey about the Patriot Act was an important and valuable activity for ALA.

Regarding the CMDS Web site, the committee felt that it is hard to navigate, and as a result it is hard to find things unless you already know where they are. We would benefit from a clearer explanation of how things are put on the Web site.

Collection Development Issues for the Practitioner: debated and passed a petition to establish an ALCTS Interest Group called Collection Development Issues for Practitioners Interest Group, with membership open to any member of ALCTS with an interest in collection development issues; and to dissolve the current committee.

Policy and Planning: continued review of the CMDS member survey and focused on liaison with ALISE and the ALCTS membership committee as a way to address the concern that collection development is given short shrift in library schools. In support of the move toward more educational programming and Web content, the committee decided to create a CMDS Web page that would list several "hot trends" in collection development. For each trend, we would provide a brief description, links to relevant material, and a list of citations to key print articles. The page would be refreshed each year to keep up with current hot topics. We think this would be the beginning of a CMDS Web presence that provides real content. Some possible topics brainstormed for the hot trends list include: open access, rethinking the Big Deal, how to value consortial memberships, moving to e-only, distributed archiving, and standard use measures for electronic resources (e-metrics).

Publications: worked on the "Sudden Selector" guide series idea. The group reviewed a draft of a template designed to help authors understand the scope of the guides and elements to be included. The template will be distributed to the authors who have been recruited thus far for their feedback. Once the group has heard back from the authors, the draft will be finalized and sent back to the authors. Authors have been recruited for Art, Business and Engineering. Authors will then work with the committee chair to initiate the publishing process.

Quantitative Measures for Collection Management: discussed the meeting of the North American Title Count (NATC) subcommittee. There was additional discussion concerning the outcome of the presentation made by the NATC group to the Chief Collection Development Officers Discussion Group. Options were reviewed for the continued production of the count. So far, no group has expressed a clear desire to assume the work of the count. Based on the current information, it was recommended that if the NATC subcommittee could explore becoming a discussion (or interest) group, and in this guise continue to explore options for the count. There were strong indications that there remains keen interest in the count, but as currently configured it wouldn't be a revenue-generating project for ALCTS. The group planned a survey of past participants to see if there were plans to participate again.

The group then reviewed three questions sent by the CMDS chair prior to the conference: What is ALA doing right that it should continue? What is ALA not doing well or not doing and should improve upon? What areas, issues and/or activities should ALA focus on in the near future to help you? "Right": Networking is a strong +, tracking system for programs, continuing education (what there is of it), support for the ALA divisions but they don't always coordinate and sometimes overlap. "Wrong": Website is not good, layers of organization and procedure are not logical and very hard to navigate to get things done, membership services are weak (problems with timely renewals), vendors feel like afterthoughts and services don't support them well. It was suggested that the fixes needed to be those things that were identified as not working well. Communication and alignment would go a long way towards increasing continuing education.

Committee chairs had been asked if they would discuss how each committee could approach the overarching theme of education for members and report back to the CMDS Executive Committee in Orlando. QM looked at several topics and decided that four were to be pursued as possible themes for Web courses, etc.: Use data for electronic resources (Project Counter, etc.); Basic statistics; Money, budgets & how to determine cost benefits and cost efficiencies; Data structure and data mining.

Back to the Top

Preservation and Reformatting Section (PARS)

Books and Paper: Methods, Materials, Standards: heard reports on the PARS discussion groups and a report on the PARS program, "Help, I'm damaged and I can't circulate." Reviewed the role and performance of the Physical Quality and Treatment DG and the Library Binding DG, and reached unanimous agreement that both continue to be relevant and useful to PARS members. The committee has decided to compile a bibliography on conservation lab design, which will be posted on CoOL. Agreed to have initial documents to the site manager by September 2004.

Education: discussed updates and corrections to the Preservation Education Directory. The site requires some minor modification, procedures should be drafted to manage changes to the site, and publicity is needed to promote its use. The chair plans to forward committee recommendations to the ALCTS Office during the month of July. The Preservation Film Festival was under-attended (40) but evaluations were positive. No plans are underway for the next Festival (June 2007). Twenty-nine attended the Education Discussion Group to learn about an education symposium held at Simmons College in April. The usefulness of Presed-X and the need for a core curriculum were discussed. The Education Committee will be working to prepare a list of core competencies for January 2005 to assist the ALCTS Education Committee's revision of the 1995 Educational Policy Statement. It was suggested that ALCTS/PARS Exec distribute a list of upcoming DG chairs, to coordinate their agenda and topics in advance.

Intellectual Access: Preservation Data and Automation Survey: thirty were returned with a few more promised. Several members will work with the results to prepare a summary that will be posted to the PADG and AUTOCAT lists. The survey highlighted a number of topics that we will pursue in discussions as an Interest Group. Update on MARC 583 Terms: the document is nearly finished, and the group discussed ways of publicizing the use of the terms and plans for a workshop to help preservation and cataloging staffs come up with strategies for using the new standard language. The committee will petition to change to an Interest Group. Much of the meeting was spent discussing how the interest group should go about planning its discussions to involve and educate both cataloging and preservation departments about the advantages of using standard protocols like the 583.

Management: heard updates and reports from several PARS DGs. An ad hoc group formed after the last meeting, roughly identified as the "What Happens When Your Library Becomes a Crime Scene Work Group", has a rough outline of a five to ten page Web-based publication. Their goal is to have it completed by Mid-winter 2005.

Recording & Photographic Media: Methods, Materials, Standards: discussed the status of the program being planned for Chicago on Preservation of Audio Collections, and also heard a report on Sound Savings.

Reformatting: Analog and Digital: discussion focused a request by the Program Committee to look at possible program ideas; and a request to consider a preconference on microfilming. Committee members decided to combine these two requests into one program, which eventually grew into one large program idea that was split into two sections. It has received tentative approval from the ALCTS Program Committee as "Analog and Digital Preservation Policy: Managing Transition 1 and 2."

Back to the Top

Serials Section (SS)

Acquisitions: The ALCTS Publications Committee is reviewing the Glossary update that the committee would like to publish on the Web. A decision should be reached shortly. The committee discussed how updating the Web publication would become part of the committee's regular activity. The AS Acquisitions Organization and Management Committee has asked us to co-sponsor a preconference for Annual 2005 on electronic resources management systems. A program proposal for Annual 2005 was accepted with some modifications, including a new title, "Innovations in E-Journal Management". The committee will continue to work on recruiting speakers and co-sponsorship during the fall.

Education: reviewed and discussed the updated version of the Syllabus for Serials Cataloging Teaching and Training that had been recently revised; based on suggestions gathered at the meeting, it will be revised and sent to the committee via email by mid-July. The Syllabus for Serials Collection Management and Acquisitions for Teaching and Training and the Syllabus for Serials Collection Management, Records Systems, and Preservation Teaching and Training are also undergoing revision. The ALCTS Fundamentals of Acquisitions Web course designed by Trisha Davis and Julia Gammon has been tested; the course is well developed, easy to follow, and a good tool to learn about the basics of the monograph acquisitions process. It has only a few technical glitches.

After discussing the value of the ALCTS publication Unraveling the Mysteries of Serials, the committee agreed to take on the huge task of updating this old document. A subcommittee may be appointed to pursue this task. A brief brainstorming session on future topics of pursuit resulted in two major proposals: collaboration with other ALCTS SS committees and with NASIG on serials educational efforts; and planning a serials institute at the 2006 ALA Midwinter conference. This institute will focus on unraveling the growing mysteries of e-serials.

Policy and Planning: followed the discussion held at the division Planning Retreat and confirmed this committee has a role to stay on top of the planning process for the section. Review of the two SS DGs indicates that some adjustment will needed because of the adoption of Interest Groups in ALCTS. The chair will inquire if the SS Exec Committee supports the transition of the SS Discussion Groups to becoming Interest Groups, and if so, whether this should also be part of the role of the PPC to assist them in doing this. Two members will follow up with each DG.

Research and Publications: reviewed 2003/4 and 2004/5 publishing goals. Completed review of Guidelines for Handling Library Orders for Serials, and discussed the need to fold in a similar AS publication on microforms. The revision of What's in a Name? Presentation Guidelines for Serials Publications is nearly complete.

The group also brainstormed ideas for promoting research and publication within the Serials Section:

  • contact all incoming committee chairs to remind them of opportunities for publishing;
  • contact all program chairs of SS sponsored Orlando programs regarding publication of papers;
  • contact all programs chairs of SS sponsored Chicago programs regarding publication of papers;
  • contact symposium chair (Boston midwinter) regarding publication of papers;
  • investigate an essay series, articles, or paper series on notable serialists (e.g. Crystal Graham, Jean Hiron, and Marcia Tuttle).

Serials Standards: discussed the program planning for the 2004 Annual panel program and for the 2005 Midwinter Meeting half-day symposium on standards. Regina Reynolds will highlight information about the ISSN standard revisions. Topical discussions began with an update given by Regina Reynolds on the ISSN revision work and developments. Discussions continued regarding the CONSER Summit on Serials in the Digital Environment and the work of the NISO/EDItEUR Joint Working Party for the Exchange of Serials Subscription Information. Work to support the Serials Standards Bibliography will continue.

Union Lists of Serials: An OCLC representative and gave members an update on OCLC's current plans for union listing as they retire Passport and move union listing to FirstSearch. Discussion then followed on what actions the committee should take to support union listing. Ideas were exchanged and plans made for the discussion to continue with the full committee via email.

Worst Serial Title Change of the Year Award: the committee had a lot of discussion about the nature of the awards. It was decided that next year's committee will be continuing this evaluation and working towards transitioning them into the future. The committee did not present any awards for 2003.

Back to the Top

back to alcts newsletter online home