ALCTS Committees Report from San Diego

Below are brief abstracts, based on reports received by the editor as of February 7, 2004, of the activities of ALCTS committees at 2004 ALA Midwinter Meeting January 9-14 in San Diego. Committee contact information for committee chairs and members may be found on the ALCTS Web site or in the ALA Handbook of Organization; in addition, some committees post minutes and other documents pertinent to their work.

For information on committees not listed below, go to the ALCTS Web site and follow the links at the top for the appropriate section or "Division Groups" for division-level committees..

Division / Council of Regional Groups / Acquisitions Section / Cataloging and Classification Section /
Collection Management and Development Section / Preservation and Reformatting Section / Serials Section

Division Committees

ALCTS/Blackwell's Scholarship Award: Met and selected the winner of this year's award for an outstanding publication in the area of collection development.

Budget and Finance: The chair welcomed the new committee (and guests), and provided a brief orientation of the role and responsibilities of the committee.

The committee noted that the Strategic and Tactical Database has only ongoing objectives based on the committee's charge. Walter will submit objectives from the Financial Plan to the Planning Committee for inclusion in the Strategic and Tactical Database. Regarding the ALCTS Financial Plan, 2006-2010, Walter, Clendenning, and Mugridge will develop recommendations for committee discussion at annual conference.

Charles Wilt, ALCTS Executive Director, presented the FY03 Final Budget. ALCTS's deficit was $60,500. While revenues were good, there were one time expenses and unbudgeted (but not unexpected) items. Among these were a Web site conversion project, carry-overs from FY02, and outstanding invoices for the North American Title Count. The latter accounted for $20,000 of the deficit. The committee discussed the budget and NATC in particular, which periodically causes severe spikes in the ALCTS budget. Walter will meet with Publications Committee chair during conference to discuss B&F concerns. Budget and Finance recommends that ALCTS not continue to fund NATC. Wilt indicated that ALCTS would be willing to give the publication rights to any other group that wishes to take over its publication.

Wilt presented the FY04 first quarter budget and the committee reviewed his report.

Wilt presented the FY05 preliminary budget that will be presented to the ALCTS Board of Directors. He noted that ALA has not yet provided information to the divisions that will flesh out the budget, because of the early dates of this midwinter meeting; for this reason, the budget currently reflects a $23,000 deficit. Wilt will be sending the committee updated information after ALA figures are received. In the meantime, Budget and Finance will move that the division board approve the FY05 Preliminary Budget.

The committee met with ALCTS Program Committee chair and discussed ways to limit outside speakers fees. The committee is concerned about a trend to bring in outside speakers for non-revenue-producing programs, especially when the ALCTS budget is operating at a deficit. The Program Committee will continue to urge program planners to look for viable alternative speakers, and Budget and Finance will approve only requests for funding outside speakers in rare circumstances. A draft motion was prepared for consideration at the ALCTS Board of Directors' meeting.

Education: The Committee reviewed several current projects of the sections:

  • The development of a web-based directory of preservation education opportunities from PARS (a change in format from the existing print publication);
  • ICECAT (Implementation of Continuing Education in Cataloging) will be offering a course in September 2004 on AACR/MARC cataloging of electronic monographs and serials, based on the SCCTP model, aimed at all practicing, both MLS and non-MLS;
  • Based on the success of the online Fundamentals of Acquisitions course, the Acquisitions Section is looking at developing a part II of this course;
  • The Joint CCS Subject Analysis Committee/Program for Cooperative Cataloging (SAC/PCC) course on subject analysis had a run-through at midwinter, which went well. The material will be presented at training sessions in Scotland in March and at the Alaska Library Association, prior to a preconference at ALA Annual in Orlando. Committee members were concerned that the pricing of this course seemed high ($395), although it was explained that because of the location, meals needed to be provided in the hotel, raising costs.

The committee's CRG rep expressed concern that CRG has compiled and submitted a lot of material, such as a speakers list and affiliates directory, but this information never gets posted to the Web site.

The committee looked at the current ALCTS Educational Policy Statement and decided this 1995 statement was outdated. A subcommittee was formed to draft an updated statement and distribute it to the Committee for review by the constituent sections at ALA Annual.

In addition to simply approving concepts/topics for CE, the Committee believes its role should include evaluating speakers and presentations. At our next meeting we will discuss the best way to this and perhaps partner with the Leadership Development Committee in developing trainer skill sessions. Division President Brian Schottlaender spoke about the strategic plan work being done by ALA and ALCTS, and encouraged the Committee to take a more aggressive stance on continuing education. The committee then adjourned to see a demonstration by the Acquisition Section of the use of WebCT in developing an online training course.

Fundraising: The committee heard a brief report on the Midwinter symposium "Fundraising in Turbulent Times," sponsored jointly by ALCTS and LAMA. Plans for the next six months were reviewed. Committee members will serve as liaisons to each program that has a sponsor. The President's Program will be held on Monday, June 28 from 10:30 until 12. The Membership Meeting will be combined with the presentation of awards and will take place on Sunday afternoon June 27 at 5pm. A breakfast with the committee for sponsors will be scheduled for Monday at 8am.

The Giving Levels and Benefits of Sponsorship first approved in June 2003 were reviewed and two action items were taken to the ALCTS Board for consideration: a level labeled "sextodecimo" to recognize contributions up to $249.00; at the Incunabula level, an advertisement in two issues of ANO to replace the web banner on the ALCTS website; both were approved. General guidelines will be drafted to clarify the content of sponsor profiles for ANO. In the next six months the committee will consider expanding fundraising opportunities to include support for ALCTS strategic initiatives.

Leadership Development: Feedback on the ALCTS "Committee Volunteer Opportunities and Responsibilities" session held on Saturday morning was positive. Approximately 75 people attended this first time event. After remarks by the presenters, the floor was opened for questions. Nearly half of the one and a half-hour session gave the appointing officers and the attendees the opportunity to meet and discuss interests and opportunities. The chair will create a paper list of the attendees and will send an e-mail thank you to each one. Based on past President Olivia Madison's comment that from her experience, holding a volunteer session at Annual would be too early in the appointment process, the committee decided not to pursue the idea.

Madison will be the sole speaker for the Committee's Orlando program, "Effective Committee Management: Basic Skills for Success." She will cover topics such as project management, how to influence committee structure to make the process participatory, committee dynamics, etc. Break out sessions will give attendees the opportunity to discuss case study scenarios. Charles Wilt has offered to purchase copies of the booklet Enhancing Committee Effectiveness: Guidelines & Policies for Committee Administration by John F. Schlegel that is published by the American Society of Association Executives. Some of the checklists in the publication offer very useful advice, and the Committee decided that it should be made available to attendees. The Association for College and Research Libraries, College Library Section Leadership Committee will co-sponsor the program in name only; the Library Administration and Management Association Leadership Development Committee is also considering endorsing the program.

The ALCTS Orientation for New Committee Chairs and Committee Members, that also includes newly elected section members-at-large, will be held in Orlando on Sunday June 27th from 8:00 a.m.-9:30 a.m. D. Giambi and J. Lambrecht had discussed the idea of offering a light breakfast at the committee's meeting in Toronto.

The Committee's current tactical initiatives were reviewed. The initiatives will be updated and submitted to ALCTS during spring 2004.

There is much interest in the committee's revision of the Guidelines for Committee Chairs that was originally written by and for the Collection Management and Development Section. The Committee will also pursue revising the guidelines, as needed, for section chairs, interest group chairs, and discussion group chairs.

The Organization and Bylaws Committee's liaison has completed the scheduled review of the Leadership Development Committee. Her recommendation is that the Committee should be continued.

Ideas for the committee's program for Annual 2005 in Chicago were discussed. O. Madison had received very positive comments for the 2003 ALCTS President's program related to generation issues. The evaluation forms from Leadership Development's Toronto program also mentioned similar ideas. Topics for the program will continue to be discussed.

Legislation: The Chair reviewed information from attending the Washington Office briefing. He introduced Duncan Stewart (University of Iowa) who will assume the liaison role between the ALCTS Board and the A.L.A. Committee on Legislation (COL) [and Washington Office.]

The group worked as a Committee of the Whole to "wordsmith" the following resolution to be forwarded to the ALCTS Board by Stewart:

"The ALCTS Legislation Committee, feeling that its work has been accomplished within the parameters of the previous ALCTS organizational structure, unanimously voted itself out of existence on January 11, 2004. In the future, if interest reaches the threshold of 10 members, or legislation of specific importance to ALCTS arises, the committee recommends that a Special Interest Group be formed. Finally, the committee endorses continued ALCTS representation to ALA Committee on Legislation and other pertinent groups."

Library Materials Price Index: Reviewed its new status as a sub-committee of the ALCTS Publications Committee, with Chair Genevieve Owens in attendance. We reviewed the status of each Price Index and deadlines for publication in the Bowker Annual and LRTS. Peggy Johnson, interim LRTS editor, proposes the Price Index be issued as a supplement to LRTS.

Because the work of this committee is performed almost exclusively by consultants, these people need a permanent or special appointment. Owens will propose the concept of an editor rather than committee chair to the ALCTS board. The indexers also need official appointment documents that reflect their status.

A new indexer for "College Books" has been identified; we will contact Harrasowitz to see if "German Books and Serials" can be revived. There is concern about data sources for some indexes due to the demise of divine/Faxon/RoweCom. Swets Information Services has agreed to provide data for "Periodicals" and this appears to be working well. Tina Feick of Swets has inquired about using the data her company provides and the index; she wants to know what rights a data supplier has to use the material in some fashion -- not to sell, but in a newsletter or other informational material. There are some difficulties with "Serials Services"; we will pursue this with the index preparer. The documentation template needs to be tested, so we have some backup for new indexers.

Library of Congress Action Plan for Bibliographic Control of Web Resources (Task Force): In accordance with its charge to facilitate ALCTS' collaboration on the LC Action Plan objectives, the ALCTS TF on the LC Action Plan appointed, monitors, and supports the work of three groups:

  • LIS Education Task Force (LC action item 5.1, Beth Picknally Camden, Chair)
  • Continuing Education Task Force (LC action item 5.3, Carol Hixson, Chair)
  • Metadata Enrichment Task Force (LC action item 2.3, Judy Ahronheim, Chair)

Metadata Enrichment Task Force: Reported on development of program for Orlando to publicize Bates' recommendations and pilot project; developed functional requirements for a clustered subject vocabulary; identified Dr. Marcia Bates as PI/Project manager for development of a pilot proof of concept for the vocabulary.

Project Objectives:

  • Create and implement a collection of natural language topic terms that can also be related to structured vocabulary extant in target OPACs and databases, to enhance user searches.
  • Create an example of a clustered vocabulary by clustering the terms collected above
  • Develop an example technical implementation of the vocabulary in a web-based system where clusters are linked to at least two databases, one of which must be an OPAC.
  • Experiment with display of vocabulary using pre-existing visual display capabilities; cluster size and number of cluster levels; interface design to determine optimal configuration and display for user needs

Research questions to be answered:

  • What is a suitable technical design for clustered vocabulary implementations?
  • What is an effective search and interface design for clusters?
  • What management issues arise with cooperative development and management of such a vocabulary?
  • How does the pilot clustered vocabulary compare with other search tools in number of hits in the OPAC or database, based on comparison of random searches derived from search logs? In user satisfaction based on comparison of result sets? In user satisfaction with interface and overall search experience?
  • What are the technical requirements and cost of building and maintaining a clustered vocabulary tool?

LRTS Editorial Board: The Interim Editor and the Interim Book Review Editor presented reports of activities and accomplishments over the last six months. Board members, who had been charged to report on their activities to secure submissions, reported on their successes. Every person reported on two or three papers either in process or submitted.

The general discussion focused on the future of LRTS. The top priority from the Editorial Board, which was taken to the ALCTS Board by the Interim Editor, is the imperative to get LRTS available electronically. The Board requested additional data about current subscribers and cost of publication, which the Interim Editor will seek from the ALCTS Office. The Board is interested in a survey of the membership regarding what they would like to see in future issues of LRTS. The Interim Editor will talk with Kirsten about a survey similar to that being sent to those who request sample issues.

Media Resources: engaged in a lengthy discussion about the group's future as an Interest or Discussion Group; decided to pursue the former; made assignments to contact other groups with similar interests over the next few months; and tentatively planned a discussion format for Orlando, topic(s) to be determined. One member will write up a summary of the committee's Toronto program by March 1.

Membership: ALCTS President Brian Schottlaender outlined his goals, invited all the members to an ALCTS retreat at Orlando to discuss a new strategic plan for ALCTS, and answered members' questions. The Committee made arrangements for the ALCTS Booth in Orlando, including recruitment of volunteers.

The Committee passed three motions:

  • The Committee recommends that the ALCTS Board encourage ALA to adopt some type of automatic payment plan for ALA members. (passed by the ALCTS Board).
  • The Committee recommends the ALCTS Newsletter Online remain open to all as a public relations vehicle. (passed by the ALCTS Board).
  • The Committee recommends that at this time to leave open to all as much of the ALCTS Web site as possible. This motion was withdrawn after the ALCTS Board felt it was too vague and decided it was unnecessary as an action item.
  • Members presented their text of a recruitment brochure for library schools and reported on their contacts with schools in their areas. The chair reported on business of the ALA Membership Committee.

Piercy Award Jury: The jury met, considered the candidates and decided not to give the award this year.

Planning: Updating of the Tactical Plan--The Tactical Plan is a critical tool for ALCTS and is used at many levels including the ALCTS Office and committees such as Budget and Finance, Publishing, and Program. It should serve to drive the agenda of the sections and committees. New liaisons were assigned from Planning to division-level committees, and both the liaisons and the section representatives will make a concerted effort to update the Tactical Plan by mid-February.

ALCTS Plan 2010--The ALCTS Strategic Plan "expires" in 2005 as does the ALA Plan. ALA has begun planning for ALA 2010. The Planning Committee developed a calendar for updating the ALCTS Strategic Plan. This calendar provides for division-wide involvement in the planning process through participation in a planning retreat and discussion at the Section and Division committee level.

Planning Retreat--As a first step toward ALCTS 2010, there will be a planning retreat held in Orlando, on the Friday, June 25. The Planning Committee in conjunction with the Executive Committee and the Executive Director will plan this retreat. A non-ALCTS facilitator will be found to work with us.

Software enhancements to the Tactical Plan database--Laura and Bill Sill submitted a proposal for upgrading the software that runs the Tactical Plan database. The Planning Committee reviewed this proposal and Helen will work with Laura to answer some further questions and will then submit this proposal to the ALCTS Office.

Spreading the word about Planning--The Planning Committee agrees that planning continues to be a hard concept for many members to understand, and this is exacerbated by the constant changes in leadership. To help address this concern, the Committee will draft a document with a goal of "demystifying planning", providing some basic guidelines for planning and steps to help integrate planning into the everyday work of committees.

Program: Discussion was held regarding a proposal from the ALCTS Office to change our pre-conference structure for Annual 2005. There was a lengthy discussion about the proposed changes to the pre-conference structure that would allow a registrant to sign up by the day (or half-day) rather than by pre-conference event. Charles Wilt delivered an effective presentation regarding the potential benefits of the new approach. It was agreed that the Program Committee supports the change, and it was determined that the Chair should present a motion at the ALCTS Board Meeting seeking the Board's support of implementing the new structure on a pilot basis in Chicago (2005) and New Orleans (2006). The Board later passed this motion. The past chair also shared some thoughts with the committee from her perspective as ALCTS Representative to the Conference Planning Team.

There will be 3 ALCTS Pre-conferences and 17 ALCTS programs in Orlando (2004). There are currently 4 pre-conferences in various planning stages for Chicago (2005). Two of these are PARS pre-conferences, one is from CMDS, and one is from CCS/PCC. A 2006 pre-conference on mold is also being considered by PARS.

Stephanie Schmitt is hoping to present a symposium at Midwinter 2005 in Boston titled "Codified Innovations: Data Standards and Their Useful Application."

Publications: Prepared three action items for the Board:

  • Post the revised Preservation Education Directoryon the ALCTS Web Site.
  • Adopt a definition of different types of Web publications (administrative, informal, and formal).
  • Adjust the LMPI subcommittee's composition to consist of an editor, editor-designate, and consultants who sign written agreements to produce their indexes with ALCTS.

The committee also:

  • Discussed publication of the North American Title Count, noting that its limited audience and minimal return on investment are not in keeping with the Board-approved ALCTS Publishing Plan.
  • Endorsed the idea of maintaining the ALCTS Newsletter Online as a publication available to all ALCTS Web site visitors, and agreed to draft guidelines on publications that are posted to the "Members Only" portion of the site between now and the Annual 2004 meeting.
  • Discussed progress toward our 2003-2004 goals, noting that sections are beginning to review publications and are working to develop publication proposals.
  • We will develop strategies to insure that program planners are not overwhelmed by multiple publication solicitations between now and the Annual 2004 meeting.

Publisher/Vendor Library Relations: Anne McKee delivered a brief report on the ALA Intellectual Freedom Committee's Subcommittee on FCC Rules and Media Ownership. Anne is representing PVLR on the Subcommittee, which was to have its first meeting in San Diego.

The committee briefly discussed the ANSI/NISO standard, under review, "Criteria for Price Indexes for Printed Library Materials." PVLR, among other groups, had been asked for comment. PVLR concluded that the standard as it exists is fine, but that a similar standard for electronic materials would be useful. It began planning for the next PVLR forum, at ALA annual in Orlando, on the topic of Ebooks.

PVLR discussed the steps for reorganizing as an ALCTS interest group and what activities in addition to programming a reorganized PVLR might pursue, e.g., guidelines to current business practice standards, "top trends" or "best ... " lists. Our petition for Organization and Bylaws will be complete within a week or so.

Monday's forum, "Here Today, Gone Tomorrow: Why Online Content Disappears," was highly successful, with a full house of about 100 attendees, nearly all of whom stayed to the end and participated in an extended discussion period with moderator Rick Lugg and three panelists representing Elsevier, LexisNexis, and Ebsco.

Research and Statistics: Reviewed a letter from the three ALCTS Presidents explaining that since CORS is not a "business" committee, but a "topical" committee, it should be carried forward in the Interest Group format. Those in attendance were unclear on the process and uncertain whether there is sufficient interest in continuing an ALCTS level Interest Group to deal with the topics of research and/or statistics. Each ALCTS section has a committee that covers much of the same "territory", and it may be that the narrower focus is generally preferred. The committee members and guests present, however, were able to envision an ALCTS-level Interest Group on Research and Statistics that would both provide a coordination role for the relevant section committees and adopt a teaching role. We reviewed the advantages of being an interest group as opposed to being a committee. We also discussed the idea raised at Midwinter 2003 of doing a program on what constitutes an acceptable sample. RASA had expressed a strong interest in the topic and hoped that the program would address issues beyond technical services and collections.

Back to Top

Council of Regional Groups (CRG)

General Business meeting: Heard a report on the CRG Web site. Division President Schottlaender spoke of his hope that CRG can help ALCTS to achieve its continuing education goals. He stated that ALCTS is good at creating content and marketing CE programs, but that CRG will be an invaluable resource for the delivery of CE. Chair Elect Cynthia Clark reported that she had attended the volunteer orientation session, and that out of approximately 80 attendees, only one was aware of CRG. Because of the ALCTS bylaws changes, CRG will establish nominating and continuing education committees. Representatives of a number of affiliate groups gave reports on the activities of their constituencies since the last meeting

Affiliate Relations: Members discussed the preliminary results of the Survey "Programs Offered by ALA ALCTS CRG Affiliate Groups For the Period of January 2002-July 2003" conducted by the committee last October. The survey was conducted for the achievement of ALCTS Tactical Plan 3.2.65 and 3.1.62. The final analysis of the data collected will be presented at the ALA Annual in June 2004. ARC membership, terms, and assignments were also discussed.

Speakers' Bureau: Focused its attention and discussion on the problems with its Web page. It is clear that the very raison d'ĂȘtre of this Committee is jeopardized if there is no means to distribute the Directory. Although lacking a quorum, we decided to explore other ways to distribute the Directory. We are concerned that we will dampen the enthusiasm of both the entries in the Directory and the users of the Directory. Until we are able to guarantee the availability of the Directory, we will postpone updating/adding entries. In the meantime we will work on refining the speaker's application form, addressing issues of consistency, privacy and verification.

Back to Top

Acquisitions Section (AS)

Acquisitions Organization and Management: Will co-sponsor in name only a CMDS program called "Who's Driving the E-Resource Collection Bus? GPS for an Uncertain Future" in Orlando, June 2004. The group discussed ideas for a program for the 2005 annual conference, three possible topics are:

  • Acquisitions models in which ILL requests trigger-expedited purchases by the acquisitions department. This brings the acquisitions department closer to users.
  • Innovative Interfaces and Ebsco are rolling out electronic resources management services. By summer 2005, there should be presenters available to talk about these new products.
  • Fully automating the online request process. Many web forms generate e-mail to someone who processes the request manually, but some libraries batch together requests, compare them against local holdings and bibliographic utilities to automatically generate bibliographic records and orders.
  • The Committee will continue to discuss these ideas through e-mail and make a proposal for consideration during the Orlando meeting.

Policy and Planning: Accepted the evaluation questionnaire as revised. It will be sent to the chairs of the Nominating Committee and the Leadership in Library Acquisitions Award Committee. Completed a letter to be sent to all AS Committee/Discussion Group chairs, urging archiving of files to ensure future continuity. Reviewed and accepted the new charge for the Gifts Discussion Group, and a new name and charge for the Acquisitions Managers and Vendors Discussion Group, which merges the Acquisitions Administrators Discussion Group with the Acquisitions Librarians/Vendors of Library Materials Discussion Group.

Publications: Met jointly with AS Education Committee. The groups agreed to encourage presenters at The Business of Acquisitions Preconference held in Toronto to turn their presentations into publications. Kirsten Ahlen reviewed for both committees the ALCTS contract guidelines that give ALCTS the right of first refusal of publications resulting from ALCTS presentations. A discussion ensued regarding the continuing problem of BOA presenters publishing elsewhere. The committee reviewed the draft of the document Acquisitions Guide Series Suggested Format for Publications, as well as ALCTS' publications goals and pending projects. Other possible guide topics include: Guide to Collecting, Analyzing and Presenting Acquisitions Data, Internet Purchasing, and Electronic Resources Management. Several potential authors for these guides were identified.

Foreign Book Dealers Directories Series Subcommittee: Approval of the new Web edition of our publication is working its way through the required steps. Kirsten Ahlen, ALCTS Office, has asked for a mockup of several pages. We will create an authority control list of country names with variants. The Web publication will be divided into 3 sections, not six as agreed last summer. The chair will ask if we can begin data entry for some of the fields not related to indexing decisions, so that we can move ahead. The chair also announced two committee members have resigned; the group decided we will soldier on with the remaining members, rather than involving new people at this stage.

Research and Statistics: Ffollowed through the needs on a continual program focusing on research methodology for acquisitions and technical services librarians. The program can be built upon the success of a research program offered by the committee at the ALA 2003 annual conference in Toronto, led by Scott Wicks. The committee also spent more time to discuss a possible program related to statistics. The issues related to the current situation of statistics include:

  • What kind of statistics do acquisitions librarians collect at their libraries?
  • How are these statistical data being used?
  • Where are these data generated (i.e., from LIS systems, data warehouse, or other relational databases, etc.)?
  • What kind of acquisitions statistical data are really needed by the library administration, accrediting agencies, and reporting to library associations such as ARL?

The committee discussed strategies of planning a program on statistics:

  • Conduct a literature search to see where we (as a profession) stand on the issue now;
  • Conduct surveys to see what statistics acquisitions librarians have collected and how they have been used;
  • Contact the ALCTS Creative Ideas in Technical Services discussion group to gain their suggestions;
  • Explore the opportunity to co-sponsor a program with Serials Section, a natural partner on issues of collecting data on electronic journals.

Back to Top

Cataloging and Classification Section (CCS)

Cataloging: Asian and African Materials: Considered seeking co-sponsorship from LITA for a program under consideration, to broaden the audience. After long discussion, the committee agreed to the proposal to Consolidate character repertoire expansion using MARC8 conceptually, to expand character repertoire and make non-roman scripts beyond JACKPHY display and access available in library systems. However, the committee could not reach consensus regarding to the proposed technical approach. The proposal was tabled and two decisions were made: 1) to study the proposal and get input from systems vendors regarding technical aspects (e.g. expanding MARC8 for other ALA/LC non-roman scripts to match up Unicode encoding vs. providing Unicode only for new scripts/new characters in existing scripts; 2) to get input from area studies specialists about prioritizing non-Roman scripts in ALA/LC Romanization tables to be expanded in MARC character repertoire, and make recommendation to MARBI/LC through official ALA liaison. They also discussed committee composition issues and communication with LC, RLG and MARBI.

Cataloging: Description and Access: approved a revised proposal on the definition of "Coloured illustration"; discussed a paper on the rules for early printed monographs [AACR rules 2.12-2.18] (CC:DA decided to appoint a Task Force to discuss the future of these rules); approved a revised proposal on the rules for capitalization of German in Appendix A; and discussed the latest proposals relating to FRBR terminology in AACR.

The Task Force on Rule 21.0D presented the final report of its investigation of the use of relator terms in headings. CC:DA approved the revisions to the rule recommended in the appendix to the report.

The Task Force on Consistency across Part 1 of AACR presented proposals for revisions to the rules for Area 7 (Notes), as well as revised proposals for Areas 2 (Edition), 3 (Material-Specific Details), 4 (Publication, etc.) and 6 (Series). The documents from this Task Force are available on the CC:DA Web site. CC:DA approved the proposals for areas 2, 3, 4 and 6; the proposals for area 7 were discussed, but were not yet finished. CC:DA also approved a prototype of the revised Part 1, which was requested by the Joint Steering Committee and which incorporates the Task Force's work to date.

The meetings also included reports from the MARBI representative (Everett Allgood), the CC:DA Webmaster (John Attig), and the ALA NISO Representative (Betty Landesman); discussions on CC:DA's Web presence and Web publications, changes to the CCS Policy on CC:DA Liaisons, and the review of CC:DA by the CCS Policy and Research Committee. Sara Shatford Layne reported from the ALCTS Metadata Enrichment Task Force.

Cataloging of Children's Materials: At the 2003 Midwinter meeting, the Committee had voted to establish a Web site of informational resources for materials relating to cataloging of juvenile materials. At this meeting we established a task force with the charge of developing a prototype by our meeting in June 2004

The Committee discussed the scope of the Annotated Card program in response to a request by Jane Gilchrist; the Children's Cataloging Team requested guidance on which parts of the AC program are the most useful. Discussion will continue via email

The Committee agreed to form a task force to develop a proposal for a program on cataloging issues in school libraries. Such a program might be presented in conjunction with AASL and in conjunction with the publication of the revised edition of Cataloging Correctly for Kids, anticipated in 2005.

Education, Training and Recruitment for Cataloging: The program "Growing our own: Mentoring library science students for cataloging" originally planned for the 2003 Annual Conference will take place in Orlando. Beth Picknally-Camden will give the background on the CETRC Mentoring Program; the main speaker, Kathryn Deiss, will discuss mentoring in general, and some Mentoring Program Pilot Project participants will talk about their experience. Two members are planning to co-author an article on the history, planning and outcome of the mentoring program to be submitted to LRTS. They will work on this initiative after the program takes place in June 2004.

The parameters of division support to fund one Spectrum Initiative scholar is $6500. Spectrum Scholars provide an excellent pool of potential applicants for positions in technical services. A fair percentage of the scholars have language skills that are needed to work in cataloging. Participation in this initiative would give some visibility to ALCTS; this would be an excellent opportunity to mentor one of the scholars and to promote work in technical services at the scholars' Pre-Conference and with the recipient of the award.

Partnering with library schools to enhance recruitment efforts, as ACRL WESS is considering, will promote recruitment by creating flyers that encourage graduate students in other disciplines to consider going to library school and entering a career in cataloging. CCS Executive would like us to review the document "Training catalogers in an electronic era." This document is dated 1995 and should either be updated or discarded.

Margaret Mann Citation: Discussed nominees and voted on the recipient of the Margaret Mann Citation.

Research and Publications: Met with David Miller to discuss publication ideas for his SALSA program (SAC) being held in Orlando. In addition to the program's five speakers, David believes another two people will be interested in contributing to a monograph based on the program. The committee will recommend a bilingual (English/Spanish) publication, which will greatly expand the audience. We also met with Lori Robare to discuss publication ideas for her Basic Subject Cataloging preconference, a joint endeavor between SAC and PCC. RPC has been asked by the CCS Executive Committee to hold off on pursuing a publication from these materials while an agreement between ALCTS and LC is arranged. RPC discussed its essays document, and considered areas that are prime for updating this year. We also reviewed the list of CCS publications that appear on the ALCTS list of those in need of review. We will move ahead with reviews as necessary.

Subject Analysis: Voted to adopt the report of the SAC Subcommittee on Reference Structures in Automated Systems; to disband the SAC Subcommittee on Reference Structures in Automated Systems; and to establish the Task Force on Named Buildings and Other Structures. They heard an update on the OCLC FAST project and indicated that those responsible for FAST may make a request at Annual that SAC establish a group to evaluate FAST and provide feedback.

Diane Dates Casey reported on the LC Action Plan Forum and specifically on the presentation of Marcia Bates on clustered vocabularies to enhance subject searching. This is another topic that SAC may want to pursue in the future.

They discussed proposals to publish the training materials being prepared by the SAC Subcommittee on Subject Analysis Training Materials, and the papers from the "SALSA de Topicos = Subjects in SALSA" program to be presented this coming summer.

The National Library of Scotland has contacted the SAC Subcommittee on Subject Analysis Training Materials about having a trainer go to Scotland to present the training course based on the materials developed by the Subcommittee.

Back to Top

Collection Management and Development Section (CMDS)

Administration of Collection Development: Proposed a pre-conference program for the ALA 2005 Annual Conference in Chicago, covering selection definitions, activities and practice for both librarian selectors new to the profession and established librarians new to selection. The emphasis will be on practical and useful information. Partnerships will be sought with the CMDS Collection Development Issues for the Practitioner Committee and the CMDS Education Committee. The curricula from similar past programs will be examined for relevancy.

The group also discussed the possibility of the division putting on an all-ALCTS program that highlights the interrelationships between technical support functions, acquisitions functions and collection development/selection/management functions within an institution. Electronic resources will be emphasized. The program will be a combination of talking heads to briefly set the stage and then audience participation in small group brainstorming sessions to answer or address a series of questions related to the topic. The proposed title is: "State of the Union: Selection, Acquisition and Management of Electronic Resources in Libraries."

Two manuscripts are underway, about the committee's "Survey of Electronic Resources Management," conducted 2002/2003, and about a series of focus groups that took place during the 2003 Midwinter Meeting on the organizational structure of collection management.

Collection Development and Electronic Resources: Continued planning for its program at annual, "Who's Driving the E-Resource Collection Bus? GPS for an Uncertain Future." We revisited our search for partners and this is proving problematic. It is not clear what role these partners would play beyond co-sponsorship of our programs. There also seems to be little interest among other committees.

The committee has been working for some time on creating a guide for collecting "free with print" electronic resources. In response to questions about whether this was really needed, one member had agreed to do a literature search to see if this is a topic being discussed in the current literature, and he found that it is not. The consensus among the committee members is that nothing is really free and that as electronic resource pricing models have changed this is no longer a topical issue. As there is much in the current literature about collecting electronic resources, the committee prefers to work on a bibliography on electronic resources, both for the program and also to be put on the CMDS web site as a resource for members.

The committee discussed a possible program for annual 2005 on collecting print in the post-electronic world.

Publications: Resumed discussion of the "mentor in a box" idea, a project is to develop a series of collection development training guides that will be compiled into a monograph. They will create a template that prospective authors may use by March 1, 2004, and solicit interest in authoring a guide from librarians in the field relevant to the subject discipline of the guide. Goal is to have at least 5 possible authors/topics for discussion at ALA Annual in June 2004

Quantitative Measures for Collection Management: Awaits feedback concerning proposed changes to the charge for the Committee. One issue raised is communication with other ALCTS committees that work in the area of research and statistics. These communications issues would be clarified after the review of the status of the ALCTS Research and Statistics Committee was complete. The R&S Committee was looking into changing into an interest group.

The planning for the program "Best Practices: Collection Management and the Application of the New Measures for Library Assessment" is on track. RUSA-CODES had been asked to co-sponsor.

The North American Title Count (NATC), a subcommittee of QMCM, was discussed. There were many questions and very little information. The project had been asked to go through the division's Publications Committee for approval, and it seemed that there was no interest in it. The division's Budget and Finance Committee was also looking into the NATC. The future of the NATC is in doubt as an ALCTS supported project. The Committee looked at possible futures outside of ALCTS. It was agreed that a starting part would be the survey that gauged interest in participating in the next NATC, scheduled for 2005. The NATC Subcommittee will draft the survey that can go out this spring. Once interest is confirmed, options can be developed.

Back to Top

Preservation and Reformatting Section (PARS)

Books and Paper: Methods, Materials, Standards: heard a report from the Physical Quality discussion group about a potential joint meeting in Boston 2005 with curators and conservators for a possible future program; rescheduled the program "Help! I'm damaged and I can't circulate," originally planned for Toronto, for this coming summer in Orlando.

Discussed a possible publication task force within the committee, whose first project will be to explore the possibility of a conservation lab design bibliography -- Werner Haun will contact Walter Henry to see if we can post it on Conservation-Online. Heather Kaufman and Beth Doyle will begin compiling a print bibliography.

Discussed a possible joint meeting between the Physical Quality and Reformatting DGs to discuss interunit collaboration on digital projects. Library of Congress is looking for a venue at which they can report on their research on paper splitting.

Education: Discussed the following projects:

  • Preservation Education Directory: Mounting on the Web site was delayed from the expected posting of June 2002 because of revisions suggested by the ALCTS Publications Committee. The Directory should be up by the end of January 2004 with changes incorporated. The current Committee Chair will work to improve the introduction for review at ALA Annual. Changes affecting content will be reviewed as a standing item on the committee agenda before submission to ALCTS Office staff.
  • The Thumbs-up Film Festival will be held Sunday evening in Orlando.
  • Fewer than 20 persons attended the program "Hands-on Over and Across: Preservation Education Abroad". Because of the SARS scare many potential attendees did not attend the Toronto ALA Annual Meeting. 11 evaluations were collected all of which are positive or very positive. Participants will have learned about challenges in planning and delivering programs, program management vs. item-level treatment, and about funding sources for international preservation efforts and opportunities.
  • Committee members will work with the Chair to provide input in updating the ALCTS Education Policy.

Intellectual Access: the group is working on the revision of its Preservation Data and Automation Survey. Two members will incorporate additional comments, and send the revised daft out to committee members for review; then they will post the survey to the PADG and AUTOCAT lists. Survey responses will be due one month from the date it is posted.

The group heard a report about the revision of MARC21 terminology for the 583 Preservation Action Note, guidelines/definitions on use of the 583 field to record preservation data. The committee will review subfields and recommend those that should be considered core and those that should be considered optional; create guidelines for its use and implementation; and if necessary, prepare documentation for review by MARBI. The current draft will be forwarded to committee members with step 1, recommendations, to be ready for discussion at ALA annual in Orlando.

It was agreed that the Committee should continue to exist as a committee, but that the idea of creating an interest group should be pursued.

Management: heard reports from the Cooperative Preservation Programs DG, the Preservation Issues for Small to Mid-Sized Libraries DG, and the Cost Study Task Force. The Cooperative Programs DG is pursuing two topics from their discussion for further development - a web-based publication on disaster response when the site of the disaster is also a crime scene, and a train-the-trainers program for public librarians focused on care of personal collections. The Small to Mid-Sized DG held a panel discussion on conservation labs in remote storage facilities. They also discussed the best method for hearing reports from LC and funding bodies such as NEH during ALA. A final discussion centered on floating the idea of a discussion group on digital preservation to be jointly sponsored by PARS and LITA. Further discussion with PARS Executive Committee determined that if there is already a Digital Technologies Interest Group in LITA, PARS members should just attend that meeting.

Reformatting: Analog and Digital: Three programs topics were discussed: business models for sustaining digital collections; technical aspects of digitization (technical requirements for digital repositories, such as requirements for ingesting data, requirements for metadata, etc.); and Copyright requirements for digital programs. The session on hybrid systems planned for the 2004 Orlando conference will be postponed until 2005.

The group discussed whether there should be two separate discussion groups from this committee-analog reformatting and digital reformatting. The consensus was to continue to have one discussion group that covers both aspects. In recent years, the preponderance of the topics discussed have been digital. To facilitate covering both, and make sure microfilming is not lost in the 'shuffle', the committee recommended that the discussion group sessions begin with a "news" section, similar to the PADG meetings. Discussions on microfilming news will be especially encouraged. The Micropublishers Discussion Group will be discontinued and those issues will be folded into the Reformatting Discussion Group. The discussion group meeting will remain two hours for now, but the committee will revisit the length and possibly recommend a longer amount of time.

Back to Top

Serials Section (SS)

First Step Award: The First Step Award committee did not meet at Midwinter. We did all of our work prior to Midwinter via email. The chair made our recommendation for the winner to the SS Executive Committee during its closed session at Midwinter.

Nominating: The committee discussed possible candidates for the Serials Section offices of Chair Elect/Chair and Member-at-Large throughout August and September 2003. A slate of candidates was submitted during Midwinter for approval.

Policy, Research and Publications: Has recommended the section establish a separate Publications Committee. No action has yet been taken by the ALCTS Office to act upon the committee split approved by the SS Executive Committee in Toronto. Discussion ensued and the committee unanimously agreed that it would work better to have the split result in a Research & Publications Committee and a Policy & Planning Committee.

The Committee agreed that the continuation of "The Serials Pig in the Aggregators' Poke" program for a fourth time (tentatively in 2005) will serve a need for the sharing of information in the unique way this program operates (television talk-show-style audience participation, with running commentary by the moderator where appropriate). Evaluations indicate a continued interest in the program, which draws attendees from public services, technical services, electronic resource, and systems librarians.

Serials Cataloging, to Study: Heard an update on its Orlando program: "Now That We've Revised Chapter 12, Where Do We Go From Here?" Discussed the five-year review of NISO standard Z39.71 1999 for holdings statements, and recommended that the standard be reaffirmed with comments. Comments include need for better harmonization with AACR2, correction to or addition of examples that reflect current practice for use of captions; other editorial suggestions to tables and typography. Chose not to comment on revision of NISO RFP Guide. Discussed a potential name change of the committee, to broaden its scope beyond serials to include other continuing resources, such as integrating resources. The proposed name change was Continuing Resources Cataloging Committee.

Serials Standards: Approved a motion to add a new section on statistics standards to our publication the Serials Standards Bibliography; approved a recommendation to affirm ANSI/NISO Z39.71-1999 (Holdings Statements for Bibliographic Items). The ALCTS representative to NISO will forward our recommendations and opinions. The committee was briefed on anticipated developments and potential changes regarding the ISSN standard. The CSSS will monitor the ISSN standard proposals closely. The committee discussed and made further preparations for the Serials Standards Update Forum program at ALA Annual 2004 in Orlando. The Committee discussed its proposal for a daylong symposium on standards at ALA Midwinter 2005 in Boston, and presented this proposal to the ALCTS Program Committee during the Midwinter meeting.

Worst Title Change of the Year Award: Most of the committee work is done via e-mail, so our meeting at conference was a chance to discuss the format and goals of the committee in person. In addition to the format and introductions, the committee discussed alternatives for the awards. One suggestion was to include additional awards for positive changes that publishers make. We will continue to think about and discuss this concept and share our ideas via e-mail.

Back to Top

back to alcts newsletter online home