ALCTS Committees Report from Philadelphia

Below are brief abstracts, based on reports received by the editor as of April 1, 2003, of the activities of ALCTS committees at 2003 ALA Midwinter Meeting January 24-28 in Philadelphia. Committee information contact information for committee chairs and members may be found on the ALCTS Organization menu on the ALCTS home page; in addition, some committees post minutes and other documents pertinent to their work.

For information on committees not listed below, go to the ALCTS Organization menu and follow the links through to the appropriate section.

Division / Council of Regional Groups / Acquisitions Section / Cataloging and Classification Section / Collection Management and Development Section / Preservation and Reformatting Section / Serials Section

Divisionwide Committees

ALCTS/Blackwell's Scholarship Award: focused on the subset of ten publications that committee members had selected from the larger number nominated by committee members via the committee's listserv. Approximately 30 articles, books, and reports had been identified as potential candidates for the award. One was chosen and a recommendation forwarded to the Association Board.

Banks and Harris Preservation Award: reviewed five nominations and selected a winner; a recommendation was forwarded to the Association board.

Best of LRTS Award: selected a winner and forwarded a recommendation to the Association board.

Budget and Finance: met with preconference planners with proposals for summer 2004; reviewed end of year figures for FY 2002 and first quarter FY 2003. A template budget for FY 2004 was forwarded to the Association board for approval.

Catalog Form and Function: A proposal for a new home for the Catalog to Gateway (CtG) series, formerly housed in the ALCTS Newsletter and on hiatus for approximately eighteen months, was discussed. The committee was uncomfortable approaching new authors under the current, somewhat uncertain conditions, and discussion made clear that the committee wishes to stop pursuing a revival of CtG but encourages the Board to include substantive, popular papers like CtG in its regular publications, supporting editorial activity there rather than through any committee. Flannery will draft a letter to the Board on this topic.

The group discussed adding Special/Shared Interest Groups as an organizational option within ALCTS. The group understands that CFFC, as a division-level non-administrative committee, might well fit the description of a SIG. Particularly as SIGs would be able to appoint members to formal roles as needed, CFFC members voiced no serious objection to the option. They also will pursue a program proposal for Orlando, 2004, on portals.

Commercial Technical Services: met with Kirsten Ahlen from ALCTS Publications and Membership and discussed a web-based publication Directory of Commercial Technical Services Providers and a new edition of Outsourcing Cataloging, Authority Work, and Physical Processing: a Checklist of Considerations. The group is co-sponsoring a 2003 program "Serials Pig III", and discussed possible topics for a 2004 program.

Education: reviewed the status of continuing education initiatives, activities, and programs: three that are in the early stages of exploration, seven that are under serious discussion and/or under development, four preconference/workshops to be offered in Toronto, and an institute and Web course that are scheduled for delivery. We agreed to turn our monitoring process into tactical objectives. Each objective was assigned to a member for monitoring. David Baush, chair of the Standing Committee on Training of the Program for Cooperative Cataloging, provided an update on the activities of this committee. Judith Cannon presented information on the LC Action Plan goals 5.1 and 5.3.

Fundraising: The committee sponsored a Fundraising Workshop on Saturday afternoon, January 25 for members of the ALCTS Board. Facilitator Irene Hoffman led the session that examined the principles and strategies of fundraising. The workshop was useful on several levels: it confirmed to the committee members that many of the things they were doing in terms of making contacts with potential sponsors were appropriate; it provided some new ideas for identifying contacts and for highlighting supporters; and it informed those in attendance about the intricacies of fundraising, both in general and specifically in the ALA environment.

A status report on fund raising activity for the period July-December 2002 indicates that contributions from vendors for the six-month period are running ahead of last year, with a total of approximately $16,800. The committee reviewed the sponsorship levels, the designations of those levels as well as the benefits to sponsors at the various levels, and will continue to consider a variety of options during the next six months. A proposal to revise the levels of giving will be made in the spring of 2003.

Committee members will serve as liaisons to program planners for 2003 annual programs, reminding planners to include sponsor information in program publicity and to thank sponsors when introducing the program. The Fundraising Guidelines were reviewed and a copy was given to each section chair. The committee will work on soliciting support for events and programs in Toronto and explore additional opportunities for promoting ALCTS in 2004.

Leadership Development: heard a presentation on the reorganization of technical services at Cornell University towards metadata initiatives. Brian Schottlaender (incoming division president) discussed ALCTS' move towards the interest group idea, as well as ALCTS' interest in a document from the committee that specifies duties and responsibilities of various constituencies regarding orientation of new chairs and officers within ALCTS. The committee then discussed our program for ALA Annual in Toronto, "Managing and Developing Leadership: Who's Responsible?" We discussed the importance of planning a program every year, which is part of our committee charge, but has never been done before. We hope to focus future programs on more specific aspects of leadership. The LITA Membership Committee is interested in sponsoring a program with us next year on leadership in technology.

Legislation: discussed its possible future in light of adding Interest Groups to the ALCTS organizational structure and agreed that an IG is not the best way to handle legislative issues within our division of ALA. Also heard updates from the chair on update on UCITA, LSTA reauthorization appropriations, Implementation of School Library "no child left behind" program, Copyright, Privacy and Electronic Security (USA Patriot Act), Access to Government Information, and Technology and Telecommunication.

Library of Congress Action Plan for Bibliographic Control of Web Resources (Task Force): In accordance with its charge to facilitate ALCTS' collaboration on the LC Action Plan objectives, the ALCTS TF on the LC Action Plan appointed, monitors, and supports the work of three groups:

  • LIS Education Task Force (LC action item 5.1, Beth Picknally Camden, Chair)
  • Continuing Education Task Force (LC action item 5.3, Carol Hixson, Chair)
  • Metadata Enrichment Task Force (LC action item 2.3, Judy Ahronheim, Chair)

Since the last report (June 15, 2002), the ALCTS TF has accomplished the following:

  1. Worked with the Metadata Enrichment Task Force to finalize its work plan and membership roster.
  2. Reviewed the second draft of the report of the Metadata Enrichment Task Force's principal investigator.
  3. Reviewed and endorsed the final report of the LIS Education Task Force, advised on next steps, and worked to gain ALCTS awareness and support for its recommendations.
  4. Reviewed a set of surveys completed by the Continuing Education Task Force.

ALCTS/ALISE LIS Education Task Force: The final report of the Library and Information Science Education Task Force was submitted to the ALCTS Task Force on the LC Action Plan in December 2002. This task force approved and endorsed the final report at their meeting on January 25, 2003. Members of the LIS task force reported to the Association for Library and Information Science Education (ALISE) Board. The board members supported the report, specifically the workshop proposed for Jan. 2004, and made recommendations for working with their program committee. The task force discussed plans for implementation of the action items from the report, and made recommendations to the ALCTS Task Force on the LC Plan on reconstituting the LIS task force as an implementation team with co-chairs from ALCTS and ALISE.

Continuing Education Task Force reviewed revised timeline and agreed that, while ambitious, it seemed feasible. They discussed the final report of the LIS task force and noted elements relevant to work of CE task force; discussed their target audience and came up with list of core topics to be addressed in continuing education curriculum. They also discussed preferred mechanisms for delivery of continuing education content and began to outline tasks and division of labor for their report. The chair had reported and solicited input from practitioners at the ALCTS CCS Heads of Cataloging Discussion Group. A draft of a survey to practitioners was developed.

Metadata Enrichment Task Force has reviewed the second draft of Marcia Bates' state of the art review and recommendations. We have come to the conclusion that clustering is a promising method for assisting users in performing subject searches and in identifying relationships among digital objects. Clustering involves building resources and tools external to the bibliographic record and catalog, but which are designed to interact with them and with other descriptive metadata systems in order to provide guidance in selecting terms and choosing resources.

The METF developed an agenda for future activity:
Goal 1: Develop awareness and understanding of clustering as a means of assisting user searching

  • Insert speakers familiar with clustering into existing program plans.
  • Provide independent programming that spotlights the work of developers using clustering and similar techniques.

Goal 2: Develop a set of functional requirements for searcher aids that use clustering techniques.

  • METF will compose a set of requirements for dissemination and use in structuring programs.

Goal 3: Test clustering prototype tool

  • Identify potential investigators/developers
  • Identify potential grant funding sources and assist in writing grant proposals
  • Use functional requirements to test success of clustering model during user testing

Goal 4: Implement clustering tools for general use

  • Communicate success/efficacy of clustering prototype to vendors along with functional requirements of tools

Goals 1 and 2 are prerequisite to Goals 3 and 4 and are therefore much further developed. Communication with other TF teams will focus particularly on Teams 2.1, 3.3, 3.4, 6.2 and 6.3. It is hoped that as program plans develop, members of these groups will be involved as commentators and speakers.

LRTS Editorial Board: discussed manuscripts received since Annual conference, the publishing schedule of the journal, and ways to increase the pace the issues are produced.

Media Resources: heard an update on plans for its program at Annual titled "Digital audio, digital video: is your library/media center digital ready?" Discussed its current charge and a draft revision. Agreed to begin a self-study review in the next six months.

Membership: identified three non-traditional groups as potential ALCTS members: archivists; library school students; and special librarians working in law, science, medical, corporate, and museum libraries. The committee is contacting library schools in the Northeast and Toronto area and will send a list of ALCTS programs during Annual that should be of interest to the students.

Gene Kinnaly, representing the Library Support Staff Interests Round Table, addressed the Committee and told them of the positive impact of the Support Staff Membership Initiative. Kirsten Ahlen shared a sample "new members" packet the office has assembled.

Networked Resources and Metadata: is updating Standardized Handling of Digital Resources: An Annotated Bibliography; updates should be completed by March so the work can be forwarded to ALCTS Publications. Reviewed the success of its Annual 2002 program and the program for 2003, "Metadata harvesting: Using the Open Archives Initiative to Expose the Deep Web." The group is also sponsoring "Knowledge Without Boundaries: Libraries in Collaboration, "a two-day preconference in Toronto. They also discussed development of a web course on metadata.

Organization & Bylaws: discussed Interest Groups and their implementation in ALCTS. The result of the committee's work was drafting of bylaws text to implement this organizational structure; the text was sent forward for ALCTS Board discussion and action. An FAQ about the bylaws revision on the ballot was brought up; text will be drafted and distributed for review/input by O & B (as well as other key constituencies in ALCTS). Prior to the general voting, the FAQ will be linked to the ALCTS web page.

In following up details of the ALCTS Publishing Business Plan, as approved by ALCTS Board (June, 2002), O & B will recommend that the Library Materials Price Index group become a subcommittee of the ALCTS Publications Committee. O & B received notification that the Serials Automation Interest Group is not renewing within LITA; O & B will recommend to the ALCTS Board that the ALCTS Discussion Group (the ALCTS aspect of this joint group) be dissolved.

PVLR (Publisher/Vendor-Library Relations Committee) was recommended for continuation. The review process brought to light some issues with committee appointments (to both assure continuity and to include publisher representation) and some changes in focus (de-emphasis on the complaint process and more external focus, an outreach function) that may be addressed in review of organizational structures within ALCTS. The review of the Budget & Finance Committee recommended continuation of this 'business committee' of ALCTS. A review of a group like this is a useful exercise for consideration of committee charges, appointments, etc., and this review similarly brought to light some concerns; O & B will share comments back with the committee chair.

They also reviewed the LITA/ALCTS MARC Formats Interest Group for continuation; it was noted that past meeting reports, a requirement for ALCTS discussion groups, were not available from the ALCTS office for this group, though notes of past meetings have been posted on the web.

Piercy Award Jury: met to confirm its nomination of a candidate to receive this year's Award, which honors a librarian with less than 10 years experience for contributions and leadership in the field of library collections and technical services. The Jury made its recommendation to the ALCTS Executive Board, and the recommendation was accepted.

Planning: discussed procedures for updating and expanding the Tactical Planning Database and a process for facilitating the entry of information into the database. In addition, the proposed enabling of Interest Groups in ALCTS was discussed at length.

Program: Except for a half-hour of committee discussion each day, the meetings were composed of hearing and commenting on presentations by program planners for upcoming ALCTS programs.

Publications: Committee votes on proposed publications are generally taking place within a two-week period. CCS and PARS have already met the goal of bringing three publication proposals to the committee. Two AS proposals and one division-level proposal have been received to date. Gave special attention to reviewing five existing publications from each section and the division and recommending that they be retired, reissued, or revised. At-large committee members will handle the review of division-level publications. Discussed a draft of the ALCTS web site policy. The committee will make a final recommendation to the Board at Annual 2003. Reviewed definitions of formal and informal web publications drafted by Margaret Rhody. Reviewed The ALCTS Newsletter's new publication schedule with Miriam Palm. Discussed the potential placement of "Catalog to Gateway" articles in LRTS with John Budd.

Publisher/Vendor Library Relations: sponsored a forum entitled, "Sweet Talking Lies: Usage Statistics for Electronic Resources." Three featured guests each spoke and then took questions from the session's audience attendees, who numbered about 70, nearly all of whom stayed until the end. PVLR will stage a summer program in Toronto on the topic of approval plans, "A New Seal of Approval."

The group reviewed the committee charge. Members agreed that the charge as it stands looks fine; but that the historical mission of PVLR as a "complaint" bureau had withered to the point that the one remaining vestige of that role, a complaint form mounted on the ALCTS website, should be removed, pending a poll of all PVLR members. This led to a discussion of how that withered function might be revitalized. The group's most concrete idea was that PVLR could create and maintain a series of generic "worst practices"-on the parts of publishers, libraries, and vendors alike, in each major area of library-related business-where consensus exists that a given practice is not acceptable. With this, any party with a complaint could bring the "worst practices" standard to the attention of the offending party, or could appeal to PVLR to amend the list, all with no risk of legal trouble, since no particular parties would be named on the PVLR list, which would remain a generic roster of untoward business practices. They also discussed the "Statement of Concern" sent to PVLR by Judith Rieke on behalf of the Medical Library Association's Technical Services Section.

Research and Statistics: reviewed its tactical items in the ALCTS Plan, withdrawing several items and refining some others. CORS is co-sponsoring two programs at Annual 2003 in Toronto: "The Serials Pig in the Aggregator's Poke III" and "Why Can't Johnnie and Jane Get Published: Research Basics". The possibility of doing a program for Annual 2004 was discussed, with the topic of sampling methods rising to the top of the list.

Back to Top

Council of Regional Groups (CRG)

General Business meeting: Representatives of the following affiliated groups gave reports on the activities of their constituencies since the last meeting: Access, Collections and Technical Services Section of the California Library Association, Resources and Technical Services Forum of the Iowa Library Association, Potomac Technical Processing Librarians, New England Technical Services Librarians, Technical Services Interest Group of the Florida Library Association, and Technical Services Roundtable of the Oregon Library Association.

Affiliate Relations: Discussion topics included the format of CRG directory and mechanism for tabulating types of programs offered by affiliate groups. Actions for the second topic include: refine the categories of types of programs, develop a survey (and other mechanisms) for collecting data, finalize the form for tabulation, collect data for the period from 2002 to before 2003 ALA Annual.

Speakers' Bureau: A call for additional speakers was published in the ALCTS Newsletter, Vol. 13 No. 4 (Winter 2002). Members of the ALCTS Education Committee and LRTS Board were invited to join the Speakers list, and eight members of the LRTS Board have volunteered. Foci for this spring are to streamline the Speakers' form and to investigate moving the form to a more malleable software.

Back to Top

Acquisitions Section (AS)

Acquisitions Organization and Management: Results of the committee's 2001 survey of acquisitions librarians have been posted to a public sever. Jeff Carrico and Kay Granskog compared the results of the survey to one conducted by the AOM committee in 1994. The survey results will be submitted to the ALCTS Web site and to the ALCTS Newsletter for publication in the April issue. The program planned for Toronto, 2003, entitled "What's the Big Deal?" will have four speakers on a panel; a moderated discussion format was suggested.

Education: Based on the anticipated need for acquisitions librarians in the coming years, we determined the need to establish core competencies for acquisitions librarians. We plan to contact the Acquisitions Administrators Discussion Group and Publisher/Vendor-Library Relations Committee (PVLR) to include this topic on the agenda for discussion at a future conference. We will gather information from both a library and a vendor standpoint. We established a plan of action for updating the acquisitions bibliography on the ALA web site to be completed by Annual conference 2003.

Business of Acquisitions Subcommittee: BOA was initially approved at an earlier conference. The new chairs gave an update on the progress of the reconstituted subcommittee since November. The ALCTS Fundraising Committee has been successful in identifying sponsors for the preconference. Keynote speakers are identified and somewhat settled. The strategy sessions will have at most a brief handout to get discussion started. We identified four definite breakout programs. Our budget is based on having 150 paid attendees. BOA is a standard program that is generally well attended, but we do need to plan for publicity (particularly in this budget era, I fear). According to the program planning guidelines, the ALCTS office is the official dissemination body for publicity. We will create a publicity plan and write the related text for them.

Leadership in Library Acquisitions Award: the sole nomination received did not fully meet the award requirements. It was decided not dispense the award in 2003. The AS Executive Committee has decided to appoint an ad hoc committee to solicit additional nominations for the award and has been given until the end of February to recommend a recipient.

Nominating Committee: met electronically during the fall and recommended a slate. They commended the ALCTS office that "provides excellent support for Nomination Committees. The office automatically provides to the chair a list of the offices to fill, appropriate forms, and a list of people who have previously run for the offices over the past 10 years. In the future, chairs should be informed of the kind of help they can provide on committee services of individuals who are under consideration to run as candidates."

Policy and Planning: reviewed the timeline for the work of the committee in reviewing the AS section's groups, and agreed that the review of our own committee does not need to be done until 2005. A survey has been sent to the Acquisitions Organization and Management and Education Committees that will be reviewed in January 2004. We reviewed the responses from the three Discussion Groups.

Publications: received updates on the acquisitions guides and the surveys for the Foreign Book Dealers Directories Subcommittee. Discussed how to increase the number of publication proposals. Kristen Ahlen, ALCTS staff, offered suggestions: the committee needs to work year round and not just at conferences. The process and procedures have been worked out and are available online. Our charge is to get five publishing proposals per year. A good way to find these proposals is to get them from programs. Presenters should be encouraged to enhance presentations for publication. Kirsten suggested that a Fundamentals of Acquisitions or a workbook would be good possibilities for new publications. A publication for paraprofessionals in new acquisitions jobs would be another possibility. Old publications should be reviewed for possible new editions. Margaret Rodhy, ALCTS Web Publications Editor, shared with the committee the difference between formal and informal web publications. An informal publication is committee work such as charge, minutes, working papers, etc. A formal publication needs to go through the review process. Margaret asked that we let her know what we would want to see in a research database.

The committee discussed the recommendation of the Guides Subcommittee to disband. It was agreed that the AS Publications Committee should be doing what the Guides Subcommittee was doing since the procedures and process has changed. AS Publications is only responsible for content editing. The AS Publications Committee agreed that the Guides Subcommittee should be disbanded.

Foreign Book Dealers Directories Series Subcommittee: surveys were sent last fall to 91 library directors. Twenty-seven responded and a few more have been promised, so about 30 will be returned, which is 33%. After some feedback it was thought that the surveys should have been sent to institutions' acquisitions librarians for a better return rate since some directors apparently did not pass them on to their acquisitions librarians. It was decided that entries could continue to be linked to the vendors' web pages. By April the work of re-keying the corrected data into Excel will be divided up among the subcommittee members. They hope to have several completed by the Annual Conference Meeting so examples can be shared.

Technology: discussed the program presented at the 2002 Annual Conference in Atlanta on interfaces between library and financial systems. Evaluation forms were mostly very positive and the committee concluded that the program had been successful. The only problem was that the scheduling of several programs on technology opposite each other on Sunday appeared to affect attendance. Most of the meeting was devoted to planning the program to be presented in Orlando in 2004. Brainstorming and discussion focused on an examination of the long-term effects of technology on acquisitions processes and on the role of technical services organizations within libraries. The committee agreed to continue discussions by email during the next several months with the goal of having a reasonably finished proposal ready by the 2003 Annual Conference in Toronto.

Vendor Research and Development Subcommittee: the online survey of ILS and materials vendors has been approved. The draft ALCTS web hosting policy was discussed. In response to the policy it was decided to expedite the transfer of the survey files from the present temporary location on a North Carolina State University Library server to the ALCTS server. This way ALCTS will be responsible for accessibility and security issues. To facilitate the transfer, David Goldsmith will prepare the files for transfer and write documentation. The goal is to have final approval by the ALCTS Board by the 2003 Annual Conference in Toronto so that vendors can be contacted to put information into the survey.

Back to Top

Cataloging and Classification Section (CCS)

Cataloging: Asian and African Materials: considered five potential program proposals for 2004 Annual and decided on one, tentatively entitled: "Making the Dream Come True: Development and Implementation of Unicode for Display of Non-Roman Scripts in the Library Environment." They approved the proposal about dropping initial article in Turkish ("Bir") from AACR2 Appendix E after John Eilts, chair of the task force for the issue, reported his survey results among Turkish catalogers. He will work with the committee chair to present a formal proposal to CC:DA. They reviewed a draft proposal to exclude initial articles in Maori, Samoan, and Tongan languages as well.

Eilts, on behalf of Middle East Librarians Association (MELA), proposed development of new Islamic law subject headings, given the current lack of specific LC subject headings and the increasing interest in Islam-related materials. Eilts and Barnard will cooperate on this effort before making formal proposal to SAC. Eilts also raised concern about lack of romanization tables for former Central Asian Soviet Union Republics, which are no longer publishing in the Russian language but are returning to using their indigenous languages. He will work with other area specialists, perhaps some members from ACRL/SEES (Slavic and East European Section), to come up with proposals.

The group heard a report from the LC liaison, but neither the RLG nor the OCLC liaison could attend. Joseph Lauer and Reiko Yoshimura reported on recent activities of Africana Librarians Council (ALC) and Council on East Asian Libraries (CEAL) respectively. No reports were available from Committee On Research Materials On Southeast Asia (CORMOSEA), Committee on South Asian Libraries and Documentation (CONSALD), or MELA.

Cataloging: Description and Access: heard a report from ALA representative to NISO (Paul Weiss) in order to be more aware of NISO activities. We respond to NISO standards when appropriate. Motions for June 2002-January 2003 reflect CC:DA's input to: (1) AACR rule revision process since our last meeting; and: (2) ISBD review (letters were sent to ISBD on (1) use of multiple ISBDs and (2) ISBD(ER) revisions) CC:DA plans to write a liaison's procedure to facilitate introducing new members to CC:DA.

New task forces:

  1. Relator Terms (after meeting: new chair, Ann Caldwell). We agreed to set up a new task force to reexamine AACR/LCRI 21.0D and the need for an indication of the nature of relationships in headings.
  2. Reconceptualization of Chapter 9 (chair, Michael Chopey). A joint CC:DA/BL task force was started fall 2002 to redefine the scope of chapter 9 and to propose rules in other chapters to deal with electronic manifestations of materials covered in those chapters.
  3. FRBR (after meeting: new chair, Dorothy McGarry). A group that had been working informally (previously chaired by Steven Arakawa) will be made an official task force to respond to FRBR proposals coming from the JSC.

Existing task forces:

  1. CC:DA/MARBI Program Planning Committee for 2003 (renamed CC:DA/MARBI Program 2003/Preconference 2004 Planning Committee at meeting) (chair, Susan Hayes). We are on track for Program for 2003 (Sunday morning) and a Pre-conference for 2004 on Functional Requirements for Bibliographic Records (FRBR). Speakers lined up for Program 2003: Vinod Chachra; Tom Delsey, Glenn Patton, Barbara Tillett.
  2. Consistency across Part I of AACR2 (chair, John Attig). Proposals for areas 2 and 3 were discussed at meeting and, with slight clean-up for corrections and suggestions, will be forwarded to the JSC.
  3. T.F. on an Appendix of Major and Minor Changes (chair, Cynthia Whitacre). The task force revised the 'appendix' to be a stand-alone publication and it was discussed at the meeting. Another draft will be prepared for CC:DA discussion at Annual Toronto. ALA has first rights to publish, though LC is interested in putting it in the LCRIs. John Attig is also going to draft a proposal to place the "Basic Guidelines" from the 'Appendix' into AACR2.

Task forces discharged:

  1. Special Characteristics of Electronic Resources (chair, Laurel Jizba). Proposals on areas 3, 5 and 7 of chapter 9 were forwarded to the JSC in the fall 2002.
  2. Rule of Three (chair, Steven Arakawa). Response to the ACOC proposal to make the "rule of 3" optional was discussed and comments sent to the JSC. A new task force on Chapter 21 revision will be formed if/when necessary.
  3. ISO Harmonization (chair, Michael Chopey) completed its work after Annual 2002. Proposals to add metric units of measurement to AACR2 were considered, approved by CC:DA and sent to the JSC. JSC approved for inclusion in the next major update.

Rule revision proposals discussed:

  1. Magert proposal on 3.1F1: example corrected. Approved by CC:DA.
  2. Magert proposal on 3.5D1 and 3.5D5 punctuation in recording dimensions and use of the word 'on'. Approved by CC:DA.
  3. Adam Schiff proposal on 3.5B3: example added for atlases. Approved by CC:DA.
  4. Adam Schiff proposal on 12.1E1: revision on other title information. Proposal was tabled pending input from AALL.

Cataloging of Children's Materials: discussed the progress of Cataloging Correctly for Kids. This revision won't happen in time for the Toronto ALA conference, but progress is being made and the book is coming along. CCMC endorsed a letter asking ALA not to endorse library school programs when cataloging courses are non-existent. The bottom line: there is a desperate need for catalogers and the tools they bring to the organization of library materials. Library schools have failed to teach library students how to catalog.

Education, Training and Recruitment for Cataloging: discussed survey of pilot program mentors and mentees in Dec. 2002; results were overwhelmingly positive. Committee also discussed the administration of the mentoring program and what would be necessary to sustain this for the long term. The committee will present a program at Annual 2003, "Growing Our Own: Mentoring Library Science Students for Cataloging."

Margaret Mann Citation: The committee met via a conference telephone call December 19, 2002, reviewed and evaluated seven nominees for the Citation and selected a recipient for 2003.

Policy and Research: heard several reports and discussed the likelihood of the PRC being split into two committees, Policy & Planning and Research & Publication. The committee agreed with the idea and will review the wording over the next couple of weeks. Margaret Rohdy talked to us about web publications and the distinctions between formal and informal publications. She also briefed us on CAROL, a database of collection/acquisition research projects that will soon be mounted on the ALCTS web site. The committee discussed possibilities of new topics for our essays. More exploration and assignments will be handled via email this spring.

Subject Analysis: SAC heard reports from its four subcommittees. The Subcomittee on Subject Reference Structures in Automated Systems provided a progress report on its coming program for Annual 2003. The Subcommittee on Fiction Guidelines has decided that a portion of its charge, "Develop recommendations for working toward a single suite of guidelines for improved, more coherent subject and genre access to individual works of fiction," is not feasible at this time. The final report will detail the subcommittee's work toward such recommendations and will detail major issues for further investigation.

The Subcommittee on Subject Analysis Training Materials presented a report on its progress and on plans for its program at Annual. In addition, SAC approved a two-day preconference for 2004 in Orlando, which will provide extensive exposure to the training materials developed in collaboration with the Program for Cooperative Cataloging. The Subcommittee on Semantic Interoperability has laid out its work plan and developed a good working definition of "semantic interoperability." The subcommittee will discuss the possible content of a program for 2004 during the spring.

SAC also authorized a program planning subcommittee for 2004, to develop a proposal for a program on the topic of assumptions about 'users,' which underlie subject analysis and classification systems, and how such systems are shaped by those assumptions. The proposal will be developed during the spring of 2003 and voted on by email prior to Annual 2003.

SAC received an update on the Faceted Application of Subject Terminology (FAST) project from Ed O'Neill of OCLC, Lynn El-Hoshy and Lois Mai Chan. Conversation included the possibility of finding real-world projects for "beta testing" FAST later in 2003. The committee also discussed a draft of its CCS committee charge review. Committee member Stephen Hearn is SAC representative to the NISO Advisory Committee for the revision of Guidelines for the Construction, Format, and Management of Monolingual Thesauri (Z39.19).

Back to Top

Collection Management and Development Section (CMDS)

Collection Development and Electronic Media: discussed a proposed guide for collecting "free with print" electronic journals. The Committee had been asked to prepare this and there was some confusion over the purpose of the request and whether or not this remains an important issue. The focus of a program being planned for Annual 2004 will be a discussion of future trends in electronic resources; the title will be "Who's Driving the E-resources Collection Bus? GPS for an Uncertain Future." They also discussed possible committees with whom to "partner."

Collection Development Issues for the Practitioner: The majority of the meeting was spent discussing the most optimal ways to meet our committee charge in light of the ALCTS Strategic Plan. We determined that it would be very useful if our committee could establish regular discussion group meetings at both midwinter and annual conferences on hot topics. A single speaker would be identified to introduce the issue for that discussion session, and the majority of the meeting would be devoted to informal discussion amongst attendees. L. Snowhill will follow up with the CMDS Executive Committee on the feasibility and procedures for establishing these sessions. A brief update on planning for the Toronto program also was given

Policy and Planning: A draft survey to CMDS membership was discussed and changes suggested and noted. Next draft will go out for comment to CMDS leadership in February. The brief survey will inform membership of results of the Visioning session and ask for input on CMDS performance and priorities. Discussion took place on how to approach Section committee and discussion group chairs to identify those that may be asked to conduct self-studies using the ALCTS guidelines.

Quantitative Measures for Collection Management: brainstormed committee's work for the coming year; developed the Committee's tactics as follows:

  • Self-study - especially charge and connections to other groups with similar charges;
  • Develop program for Orlando on Best Practices for New Measures;
  • Redefine the North American Title Count (NATC) product in web environment, in collaboration with the NATC Sub-Committee and ALCTS Executive Director.

Back to Top

Preservation and Reformatting Section (PARS)

Books and Paper: Methods, Materials, Standards: development of the program for Annual 2003 in Toronto is proceeding on schedule. The program is titled: "Help! I'm damaged and I can't circulate! Options for Circulating Collections." The committee discussed how the program would be publicized, as well as whether a publication would come out of this work. The Cost Study Task force has made significant progress on the guide to preservation cost assessments. Good conceptual and writing progress has been made since the Annual 02 meeting. The committee discussed the "standards" aspect of our work, in terms of identifying gaps in the literature in the area of book and paper preservation. A few individuals from the committee will explore suggestions made at the meeting in the interests of focusing our efforts on this important aspect of our committee's responsibilities.

Education: discussed the following projects:

  • Update on Preservation Education Directory. Transmittal forms had been submitted, executive is in the process of voting, and the directory should posted on the ALCTS website soon.
  • Update on Preservation Education Abroad program. Program scheduled for Saturday, June 21, 10:30 AM - 12 PM. All going as planned. Mary-Jane Starr (National Library of Canada) will serve as keynote speaker for the event.
  • Thumbs-Up Film Festival report. Funding generously pledged from co-sponsor, Library Binding Institute. Festival scheduled for Sunday, June 22, 7-10 PM.
  • Future of PRESED-X website. Need to determine the amount of interest, gave topic to Instruction, Education and Outreach Discussion Group chairs for annual meeting.

Intellectual Access: discussed the lack of new members and the problem of gaining interest in the subject. Without a discussion group to stimulate ideas, the Committee is reliant on a small group of interested individuals. Julian Stam, chair of PARS, visited the group and suggested that perhaps the Committee would be a candidate to be changed to an Interest Group if ALCTS voted to allow that structure.

A new Interest Group might discuss and plan programs related to:

  • digitally reformatted collections - evaluate how people access these materials, costs and benefits involved
  • 583 MARC tag and 556 MARC tag - tie-in the use of these tags with funding from NEH; 583 in RLIN not in OCLC - make it repeatable
  • involvement with the digital registry
  • how is last copy dealt with in the system?
  • treatment records are kept but are not necessarily linked to the system·
  • cost benefit analysis of minimum level of access to microfilm

The Committee then turned to work on its strategic goal of surveying the preservation community to determine current practices and approaches to achieving access to preservation information and tracking preservation activities.

Management: discussion groups reporting to the Committee held discussions on topics of interest to groups of ten or more people. Tom Teper reported on his survey of standards for selecting published microfilm for brittle book replacements or collection development. The committee recommended that he use his findings to create guidelines or recommendations and try to get these published. Julian Stam, chair of PARS, met with us to remind us of our role in the Tactical and Strategic planning process. Carla Montori reported on her work to identify the source of all the funding that supports the University of Michigan preservation program. Carla shared charts of her findings with us, and members shared ideas on how this information might be used. They also heard a report on the PARS Cost Study Task Force.

Policy, Planning and Research: reviewed its objectives in the tactical plan and made assignments to see that they are carried out:

  • Identify and report preservation research needs which could result in new standards (Annual 2003)
  • Survey PARS discussion groups to identify agreed-upon best practices that are currently applicable and effective (Annual 2003)
  • Solicit/compile comments about PARS discussion groups. Prepare recommendations for PARS Executive Committee (Annual 2003)

Recording and Photographic Media: Methods, Materials, Standards: is monitoring the Audio Preservation section of Conservation OnLine (CoOL), the major conservation/preservation listserv. To facilitate outreach to other communities interested in audio preservation, an announcement reminding the groups of the Audio site and the new items on it will be to SAA, MLA, ARSC, OHA, RBMS, etc. A list of high-priority topics for the Photo and Recording Media Discussion Group was developed and will be sent to the new discussion group chair after the conference. Several topics were discussed for possible programs and the committee agreed that it is too soon to move forward because important information will become available from other groups (AES and others) during the next few months. The committee will propose it change its name to Recording and Photographic Media.

Reformatting: Analog and Digital: heard reports on Reformatting and Micro/Digital Publishers Discussion Groups. Though a few people showed up for Micro/Digital Publishers this time, committee members agreed unanimously that it was not a very fruitful or productive DG and therefore moved to dissolve it. It is difficult to get publishers to participate, since they mainly attend ALA for the exhibits and have little time to attend meetings. It has also proven to be difficult to get ALA members to serve as moderators. The PARS Executive Committee supported the recommendation. The committee briefly reviewed progress toward the Summer 2003 Program on hybrid systems. A possible future action item would be a pre-conference on the current state of preservation microfilming practice. A summer 2004 program on production digital imaging, from selection through metadata, was proposed, involving three institutions where digitization is being performed for preservation purposes: describe what's involved, including level of staffing, types of equipment, costs, etc. A possible follow-up program in Summer 2005 would address the issue of extended-term preservation of "born digital" material, which is at risk of becoming inaccessible without proper resources and management.

Back to Top

Serials Section (SS)

Acquisitions: discussed options for future programming, and decided on a tentative topic for 2004, "flip pricing," where the base subscription used to be print with an additional fee for online, and now the base subscription is electronic with an additional fee for print, and no option for print only. We will discuss further in Toronto in June 2003. The group sponsored programs in 2001 and 2002, and are co-sponsoring in name only in 2003. Work is also proceeding on a revision of the Serials Glossary, in conjunction with the section's Publications Committee.

First Step Award: The First Step Award is for an ALA member with five or fewer years' professional experience in the serials field that has not attended an ALA annual conference. The committee had made its deliberations via E-mail and so did not meet at the conference. After a very small initial response, the committee extended the application deadline for the First Step Award to January 3. We received three complete applications and after reviewing them, selected a recipient. The criteria for award winners are being evaluated and may be clarified or expanded.

Policy, Research and Publications: "Pig in an Aggregator Poke III" program for Annual in Toronto is on track. The committee spent quite a bit of time talking about ideas for publications, either by the committee or as ideas to suggest to other units of the section. Ideas raised include "Biographies of Serials Greats" and "Ideas for Needed Research." The committee discussed the issue of having the chair of this committee also serve on the ALCTS Planning Committee. The two together are a tremendous time commitment. The committee also discussed the scope of its charge, which includes planning, and publications and research. The Serials Section is among those with the fewest publications in the division. The question is whether the charge is too large to be effectively met by one committee. Discussion on this issue will continue electronically this spring with consideration of presenting a recommendation to split the committee to the Serials Section Executive Board at ALA Annual.

Serials Cataloging, to Study: discussed its role and input into the LC Action Plan, and the best method to disseminate minutes of it deliberations to working serials catalogers. Becky Culbertson (University of California at San Diego) gave a report on "Option B+," the effort by CONSER to reduce the proliferation of cataloging records that result whenever an electronic journal is published by a different aggregator. Currently, whenever an e-journal is provided by a different publisher or made available by a different aggregator, cataloging rules specify that a new record must be created. CONSER's Option B+ plan allows all versions to be put on a single record. This presentation led to a spirited discussion among audience members that lasted for nearly 40 minutes. The group also heard updates from CC:DA, LC's National Serials Data Program and the CONSER Task Force on FRBR (Functional Requirements for Bibliographic Records).

Serials Standards, to Study: The Committee will address the question of posting statistics standards to the Serials Standards Bibliography via email discussions and make a decision at ALA Toronto 2003. The Committee agreed to post updates to the Bibliography every six months; new updates will be posted in February-March 2003 and in July-August 2003

The Committee considered the MARBI issue of Coding for Publication Pattern at the First Level of Enumeration in MARC 21 Holdings Records [subfield U and V at the first level in the 853 Holdings.] They will solicit opinion papers from various standards specialists and others, discuss this via email, and prepare a draft opinion paper for discussion at ALA Toronto 2003.

Possible future programs: A "Serials Standards Overview" panel discussion (Annual 2004 - Orlando). The Committee agreed to sponsor the panel discussion. The Committee will present to the ALCTS Program Committee the panel program proposal at ALA Toronto. Committee will appoint a Programs subcommittee to coordinate effort towards this work. For Midwinter 2005 in Boston, A Standards and Utilities and IMLS Vendors Symposium: the Committee agreed to pursue the planning for this proposal in possible collaboration with other ALCTS sections and/or ALA Divisions.

Union Lists: discussed the following issues:

  • the future of Union Lists in regard to electronic resources
  • the current trend toward replacing print journal subscriptions with electronic resources
  • portal searching of aggregator databases "a la Google" and the problem of no selectivity
  • the trend for holdings in aggregator databases to enter a start date but not maintain the changes to coverage in union lists
  • the impact on ILL of holdings/coverage in aggregator databases and licensing issues

The Committee agreed unanimously to co-sponsor the program proposal being made by the Committee to Study Serials Standards for Annual 2004/Orlando or Mid-Winter 2005/Boston.

Committee members agreed that it would be a good idea to explore naming official liaisons from major union listing vendors/groups (OCLC, NLM SERHOLD, and possibly the United States Newspaper Program). There has traditionally been a full member of the committee who could report on progress and other news from OCLC, NLM, and USNP, but no formal appointments have been made in the past as with other committees such as the RUSA/MOUSS ILL Committee. The ULS Committee would like to explore this formally.

Worst Serial Title Change of the Year Award: while the WSTC Committee does most of its work by e-mail, the meeting in Philadelphia was an informal face-to-face meeting. We discussed the current candidates for the award and how to solicit more nominations.

back to alcts newsletter online home