ALCTS Committees Report from New Orleans

Below are brief abstracts, based on reports received by the editor as of February 18, 2002, of the activities of ALCTS committees at 2002 ALA Midwinter Meeting in New Orleans. Links are provided to committee information on the ALCTS home page. Contact information for committee chairs and members may be found there; in addition, some committees post minutes and other documents pertinent to committee work.

For information on committees not listed below, go to the ALCTS Organization menu on the ALCTS home page and follow the links through the appropriate section.

Division Committees | Council of Regional Groups | Acquisitions Section | Cataloging and Classification Section | Collection Management and Development Section | Preservation and Reformatting Section | Serials Section

Division Committees

The Budget and Finance Committee reviewed the budgets for FY2002 and FY2003. These budgets reflect ALCTS’ status as a stand-alone division of ALA. Continuing education events and preconferences are the most remunerative activities of our division; consideration is being given to more educational events at Midwinter. New committee members were oriented to the committee and ALA BARC activities. Funding requests were also reviewed.

The Education Committee talked about the differences between institutes and workshops and identified eight topics that should be addressed regionally: basics of serials management, e-journals, EAD training, collection maintenance (especially storage), integrating electronic materials into CD and acquisitions activities, collecting and using research data, and basics of revised Chapters 9 and 12 of AACR2. They planned a membership survey for spring 2002, and finished a revised CE proposal and guidelines document for the ALCTS manual.

The Fundraising Committee thanked sponsors who contributed during 2001 and learned that sponsors prefer making annual contributions rather than committing to multiple years and prefer supporting programs that are related to their particular area of interest. Finding an appropriate way to thank sponsors is an important consideration. Most were satisfied with the level of recognition ALCTS provided. A marketing questionnaire has been developed that will be distributed to a select group of ALCTS leaders. The answers will help the committee design a strategy to target various market segments appropriately and allow ALCTS to position itself within the library community more effectively. The committee is also pursuing a long-range fundraising initiative aimed at enhancing the ALCTS endowment.

The Leadership Development Committee is planning a program for summer 2003, will develop a prototype for a mentoring database, and plans liaisons with similar committees in other ALA divisions.

The Legislation Committee heard reports from the ALA Committee on Legislation and the Washington Office and discussed ALCTS’s interest in Senate Bill 803 and recently enacted anti-terrorism legislation. They also noted that ACRL is holding a legislative advocacy workshop as a preconference in Atlanta.

The Library Materials Price Index Committee heard an update about the Bowker Annual following the sale of Bowker by Reed-Elsevier earlier this year. Bowker Annual will be published this year, but its future is under review. The committee discussed options for having ALCTS or ALA publish the indexes. Due dates for indexes and write-ups were presented. The monetary change to the Euro has presented problems in obtaining any information on German materials for this year’s index. Harrassowitz does not feel the current pricing information will be useful due to the change in currency. The remainder of the meeting related to the upcoming program to be held at Annual Conference in Atlanta.

The LRTS Editorial Board discussed the slow pace of manuscript submissions to the journal, which is affecting the publications schedule. “Recent work in . . .” articles will be reintroduced, mirroring interests of the ALCTS sections.

The Media Resources Committee discussed tactical planning and agreed to: develop and maintain a list of groups both within and outside of ALA that share common interests by exchanging meeting minutes with the chairs of each group and identifying areas to work on in common; formally work with the OLAC Cataloging Policy Committee’s Conventional Terminology Subcommittee. This subcommittee was formed to make recommendations to CC:DA about using conventional terminology in specific material designations for materials outside AACR2 chapter 9; and present a program on digital audio and video at the 2003 ALA Annual Conference. The committee discussed how other ongoing work fits in with the ALCTS strategic plan and heard and discussed reports from liaisons from the Music Library Association, OCLC, Association of Moving Image Archivists, and MARBI.

The Membership Committee discussed plans to recruit corporate and personal members and heard about membership surveys being considered by the ALCTS office. Support staff membership outreach will target the same geographical area as it did for the New Orleans Midwinter Meeting.

The Organization and Bylaws Committee discussed revisions to the division’s bylaws, discussed tactical planning, and completed final review of the Commercial Technical Services Committee (renewed), Catalog Form and Function Committee (conditionally renewed for two years), and Scholarly Communications Discussion Group (conditionally renewed for two years).

The Planning Committee held a tactical planning retreat for division committee chairs and reviewed the overall plan itself. It recommends that such a meeting become an annual event at Midwinter Meeting. The committee will hand off clerical maintenance of the plan to the ALCTS office in March. Committees will be asked to reference specific numerical sections of the plan when filing their activity reports.

The Publications Committee engaged in a substantive discussion of ALCTS publishing’s aim, procedures, and strategic plan. They also received an update on publications in process and reiterated ongoing concerns about ALA Editions’ that need cross-divisional efforts to address and resolve them.

The Publisher/Vendor-Library Relations (PVLR) Committee discussed PVLR responses to our scheduled program review, met with Chris Sugnet of the Organization and Bylaws Committee, discussed PVLR’s role in the ALCTS strategic plan, the format for future meetings, additions to the committee Web page, and continuity in membership and leadership, and finally decided on topics for future forums and panels.

[ TOP ]

Council of Regional Groups (CRG)

The Affiliate Relations Committee (ARC) chair presented a summary of topics of interest to the committee, arising from meetings attended earlier in the day. These included the effects (none to be seen) of our earlier agreement to condense the Midwinter Meeting and the potential arrangement for local (i.e., within CRG) updating of the CRG Directory. Also noted was the suggestion that, in the future, ARC may be utilized both to plan and monitor, in terms of the ALCTS strategic plan, various activities of affiliated regional groups. The chair then asked the members to report upon activities, problems encountered, suggestions for improvements in information-gathering techniques, and so on. One member offered the excellent suggestion that affiliated group Web addresses be routinely entered into the directory along with conventional information (i.e, names and address of officers, meeting times of groups) and that appropriate links be established. It was noted that the Washington state group, previously affiliated, appeared to be reorganizing and again becoming active (attempts to contact them have been made), and that a technical services group connected with the Montana Library Association was at the moment organizing and had expressed an interest in ALCTS affiliation (appropriate materials have been sent to a local contact). The continuing problem of significant lag time between the sending of fresh information to ALCTS and posting in the directory was also discussed.

[ TOP ]

Acquisitions Section (AS)

The Acquisitions Organization and Management Committee reviewed the responses to the program that it sponsored at the last annual conference. Kay Granskog presented the results of the survey that she and former committee member, Lisa German, conducted on “The Changing Role of the Acquisitions Librarian.” The survey results are written up and ready to submit to ALCTS Newsletter Online for publication. The committee would also like to post the survey results and the accompanying data on its Web site. The committee is not sponsoring a program for the 2002 Annual Conference in Atlanta but would like to sponsor one in Toronto in 2003. We discussed possible program topics and speakers.

The Publications Committee discussed appointment of subcommittee members, reviewed Guides Subcommittee projects and status, reviewed Foreign Book Dealer Subcommittee projects and status, reviewed Vendor R&D Survey progress (the survey is almost complete), and heard that print versus electronic is no longer an issue for publications, so print will remain. The Foreign Bookdealers Directory Subcommittee discussed its recent activities to contact ACRL to update vendor information, other possible methods to keep the information current and therefore valuable, and possible improvements to the data’s format on the Web.

The Research and Statistics Committee reviewed its preconference and the decision to cease the current project of compiling an acquisitions-focused online bibliography, as many other existing resources cover similar needs. They decided to investigate how the committee could support CAROL, the online repository of ongoing research projects and talked about cosponsoring a discussion group with Serial Section’s Policy and Research Committee. They also outlined a possible multitrack series of four workshops or small discussion groups that will take the participants through the research process over a two-year period: (1) developing the research question; (2) method; (3) gathering, compiling, and analyzing data; and (4) presentation of findings.

The Technology Committee’s Subcommittee on Vendor Research and Development heard a report on the status of the online vendor survey instrument. The survey instrument is almost ready and Charles Wilt has agreed to allow a link from the ALCTS Web site to the survey housed at North Carolina State University. The Commercial Technical Services Committee is still very interested in establishing mutual links between our survey and their online vendor directory when it is completed

[ TOP ]

Cataloging and Classification Section (CCS)

The Committee on Cataloging: Description and Access (CC:DA) has received final reports from several of its task forces: Seriality, Appendix of Major and Minor Changes, Review of ISBD-CR, and Special Characteristics of Electronic Resources. The committee is forming a new task force to look at inconsistencies across the various chapters of AACR Part I; this group will have a basically editorial charge. The Joint Steering Committee for AACR2 (JSC) turned down CC:DA’s proposal to add examples of summary notes for continuing resources to AACR chapter 9, because they want all examples relating to continuing resources to be in chapter 12. CC:DA will revise its proposal to this effect. The group heard a report on uniform resource identifiers, uniform resource numbers, and uniform resource locators, and on current MARBI proposals and discussion papers. The first of the new annual editions of AACR will be published in July 2002. A new edition, incorporating all amendments will be published annually. These will be looseleaf editions with fully interfiling pages. In addition, the amendments will be available separately for interfiling in previous editions.

The Committee for Education, Training, and Recruitment for Cataloging heard an update from their mentoring task force on a pilot project with twenty-two to twenty-five potential mentees and forty-three potential mentors. They also discussed documents on their Web site, plans for a program on mentoring for summer 2003, and their contributions to the LC Action Plan and ALCTS/CCS strategic plan.

The Policy and Research Committee discussed its research topics list: three new essays were handed in, and one more has been assigned. New essays will be up on the PRC Web site before 2002 Annual Conference. The committee is beginning work on a new duty, ongoing review of CCS committees and discussion groups.

The Subject Analysis Committee heard a report from the Subcommittee on Subject Reference Structures and discussed the possibility of developing a program for 2003 Annual Conference based on the subcommittee’s work; it will be developed through the spring in time for approval at 2002 Annual Conference. They discussed the possibilities for a program, workshop, or preconference to be presented based on the work of the Subcommittee on Subject Analysis Training Materials. Diane Dates Casey reported on the kickoff meeting for ALCTS participation in LC’s Bibliographic Control action plan and SAC’s potential involvement; SAC will form a subcommittee on the subject on semantic interoperability among subject and classification schemes. This will not duplicate the work of the ALCTS task force but should complement it. SAC also approved a preconference on the topic of Dewey Decimal Classification Edition 22 for 2003 Annual Conference.

[ TOP ]

Collection Management and Development Section (CMDS)

The Collection Development and Electronic Resources Committee, a newly established committee, discussed several possibilities for programs to be fleshed out by summer, and creating a guide to selecting free-with-print materials.

The Policy and Planning Committee reviewed the division strategic and tactical planning document and supported a CMDS visioning session proposal. They also will draft some questions for a self-review to begin after summer 2002.

The Quantitative Measures for Collection Development Committee heard an update on the North American Title Count 2001, and details of their summer 2002 program, “Measuring the New Measures.” The CAROL database (Collections and Acquisitions Research Online, an online clearinghouse of current research) is now live and needs systematic publicity.

[ TOP ]

Preservation and Reformatting Section (PARS)

The Education Committee developed additional objectives to mesh with the ALCTS strategic plan. The Preservation Education Directory will be launched by 2002 Annual Conference. A program is in the works for 2003 Annual Conference, “Preservation Education Abroad, Thumbs Up.” A Preservation Film Festival is also planned for the 2003 conference. The committee also discussed the future of the PRESED-X Web site; there are plans to update the site with a database format.

The Management Committee heard reports on the section’s discussion groups at Midwinter Meeting and discussed progress with tactical planning objectives. Carla Montori reported on her work to identify the source of all the funding that supports the University of Michigan preservation program. Tom Teper reported on his survey of standards for selecting published microfilm for brittle book replacements or collection development. The committee recommended that Teper use his findings to create guidelines or recommendations and try to get these published.

The Photographic and Recording Media: Methods, Materials, Standards Committee identified several new items to monitor the audio preservation section of CoOL, and high-priority topics for the Photo and Recording Media Discussion Group’s summer meeting. They also discussed possible topics for programs and outreach to other organizations interested in audio preservation. They are considering a name change to “Recording and Photographic Media.”

The Policy, Planning, and Research Committee discussed how to identify and report preservation research needs that could result in new standards and will gather information about best practices that are no longer applicable or effective. They also will help develop evaluation forms for the section’s discussion group meetings.

The Program Planning and Publications Committee announced that two Web publications have been posted: “Audio-Visuals for Training Staff and Users in the Care and Handling of Library and Archival Materials” and “Guidelines for Packaging and Shipping Magnetic Tape Recordings and Optical Discs (CD-ROM and CD-R) Carrying Audio, Video, and/or Data.” Members are working on Preservation Education Directory, 8th ed.; the goal is to get the directory ready by spring 2002. The previous edition of the Education Directory will be archived on the ALCTS Web site. Other historical documents, such as the 1991 Preservation Policy, will also be archived on the Web site. “Survey of Cooperative Preservation Groups in the U.S.” is complete and has been sent to the Management Committee. There will be no PARS publication of the survey, but Janet Gertz will write an article on the survey for an ALA publication. Web publication for “Resources for Selecting and Working with a Library Binder” has been approved. This publication originated as a handout at the 2001 annual program “To Bind or Not to Bind” and is authored by Shannon Zachary. It will appear on the ALCTS publications Web page before Annual Conference.

[ TOP ]

Serials Section (SS)

The Acquisitions Committee spent time refining their Atlanta program, “Negotiating Services and Prices.” They also discussed revisions and content of the Glossary of Acquisitions Terms and its intended audience: not exclusively serials and acquisitions librarians, but also people outside or just starting in the field, such as newly hired support staff, who often find definitions of generic terms as well as more specific ones useful and helpful.

The Bowker/Ulrich’s Serials Librarianship Award Committee met and reviewed three nominations for the Bowker/Ulrich’s Serials Librarianship award, reaching a decision and forwarding a recommendation to the section executive committee and ALCTS board.

The Education Committee discussed the status of three syllabi in progress and established plans to have them revised, completed, and posted on the Web in a timely manner. They also discussed programming ideas that the committee might work on or assist others with. They will follow up on some of the ideas and investigate institutes, preconferences, or programs to increase SS program participation.

The Policy, Research, and Publications Committee is planning a program, “The Serials Pig in the Aggregator’s Poke III,” for 2003 Annual Conference. They also spent time revising their tactical objectives.

The Committee to Study Serials Cataloging heard reports on meetings of CC:DA, serials-related activities at the Library of Congress, and the implementation of cataloging integrating resources (a newly created category of publications that are serials-like, but are not actual serials—updating loose-leafs, Web sites, and the like). Appended to the Library of Congress report was a report on ISSN activities and the decision to start assigning ISSN’s to loose-leaf material. When an ISSN numbered publication changes title, the new title will be given a separate ISSN number but will continue to be cataloged on the same record as the previous titles: all the different titles will be on the same cataloging record.

The Committee to Study Serials Standards reassigned responsibility for updates to its Serials Standards Bibliography in light of membership changes, and is considering developing relationships with other groups that promote standards.

The Union Lists of Serials Committee discussed statistics from OCLC that indicate 8.5 million local data records exist in the Union List System, and during 2001, 210,000 local data records were entered and 309,000 updated. Clearly the experience that committee members have with union lists of serials is derived from OCLC. We are familiar with the online, local, or print derivations of it. To better understand the intimation that the OCLC union list is an expensive, unnecessary tool, we are listening for voices of dissent. The ASCLA ICAN Virtual Library Discussion Group announced a topic on the future of serials union lists, and the OCLC Union List Users’ Group’s meeting also offered support to the committee’s activities.

[ TOP ]

back to alcts newsletter online home