The ALCTS Strategic Plan 2006-2011 positions the division to advance changing models of the library collections and technical services profession, new roles and skills for library staff, and the evolving nature of the library in the digital environment. The Plan emphasizes collaboration and partnerships; the need to educate, recruit, and retain staff; and a flexible and responsive approach to change.
The plan was adopted by the ALCTS Executive Board in June 2006 in New Orleans and is the culmination of many discussions among ALCTS members and section leaders that began two years before. It will form the basic road map for ALCTS over the next five years.
In the coming months the sections will begin populating the Strategic Plan with tactical initiatives. Additional information about formulating your future in ALCTS based on this new Strategic Plan will be forthcoming.
The Association for Library Collections and Technical Services (ALCTS) is the recognized dynamic leader and authority for principles, standards, best practices, continuing education, and new developments in the selection, management, and preservation of all information resources.
To shape and respond nimbly to all matters related to the selection, identification, acquisition, organization, management, retrieval, and preservation of recorded knowledge through education, publication, and collaboration.
Goal Area 1.
ALCTS provides leadership in the management of information
- identifies trends and major issues
- responds to changing conditions
- provides expert direction in organizing, accessing, and exchanging information
- recruits for collections and technical services positions in libraries
- communicates with members and external constituencies
- advocates for the value and importance of technical services and collections within institutions and the profession
Goal Area 2.
ALCTS defines best practices and develops and promotes national and international standards
- recommends and participates in the development of standards and best practices
- communicates and promotes the application and use of standards and best practices
- encourages and recognizes innovation
Goal Area 3.
ALCTS provides and facilitates continuing education and fosters life-long learning
- monitors needs for continuing education and life-long learning
- develops innovative programs and publications that are responsive to the needs of the membership
- provides opportunities to exchange information and share experiences
- delivers cost-effective programming and publications via a wide range of methods and technologies
- collaborates with other organizations to develop and promote continuing education opportunities
Goal Area 4.
ALCTS collaborates with organizations with similar or complementary interests
- establishes and strengthens interaction and collaboration with other units within ALA
- communicates and collaborates with outside organizations in the library, information, standards, and metadata communities
- develops strong relationships with library and information science programs to influence the curriculum to support the interests of the Association
- encourages entrepreneurial efforts
- fosters dialog and exchange of ideas
Goal Area 5.
ALCTS is a viable, vibrant membership organization
- develops an agile, flexible organizational structure to promote a dynamic environment
- emphasizes the importance and value of diversity
- operates in an efficient, responsive, and fiscally sound manner
- engages members in the work of the Association through face-to-face and virtual activities
- maintains and disseminates information about the Association
- retains and recruits members
- nurtures leadership development