The Association for Library Collections & Technical Services (ALCTS) has been a division of the American Library Association since 1957, when the Resources and Technical Services Division (RTSD) was formed from the merger of several ALA units with common interests. In 1989, the membership of RTSD voted to change the name of the division to ALCTS.
The first bylaws for RTSD provided for four sections: Acquisitions, Cataloging and Classification, Copying Methods, and Serials (LRTS 2, no. 2, p. 135–52).
The Acquisitions Section was formed from the Board on Acquisition of Library Materials, created in 1951. In 1973 the Resources Section was formed by the merger of the RTSD Resources Committee and the Acquisition Section. In 1991, the Resources Section changed its name to Acquisition of Library Materials Section and some of its committees were assigned to a newly formed Collection Management and Development Section. In 1992, the section again adopted the name Acquisitions Section.
The Cataloging and Metadata Management Section (CaMMS) dates from 1900 when the Cataloging Section of ALA was founded. In 1940 the section became the Division of Cataloging and Classification (DCC). The DCC included a Council of Regional Groups (CRG), formed by Margaret Mann in 1923. The CRG has since grown to include state and regional groups representing all interests in the division. The Cataloging and Classification Section changed its name to CaMMS in July 2011. (In Retrospect: A History of the Division of Cataloging and Classification of the American Library Association, 1900–1950, p. 19.)
The Copying Methods Section became the Reproduction of Library Materials Section in 1967. This section dates to 1936 when the Committee on Photographic Reproduction of Library Materials was created. In 1948 the committee changed its name to Committee on Photo-Duplication and Multiple Copying Methods. This committee was replaced by the Copying Methods Committee which joined RTSD as the Reproduction of Library Materials Section in 1957 (LRTS 12, no. 1, Winter 1968, p. 100–101). In 1994, the section merged with the Preservation of Library Materials Section to form the Preservation and Reformatting Section (PARS).
The Continuing Resources Section has its origins in the Serials Round Table formed in 1929. It changed its name from the Serials Section to the Continuing Resources Section in July 2007. The name change was adopted in response to the trends in the profession, the materials that serials librarians work with and the digital information environment. Its mission was likewise broadened from serials to continuing resources in all formats and for all types of libraries.
In 1980, the original four sections were joined by the Preservation of Library Materials Sections, in recognition of the growing awareness and knowledge of preservation issues. In 1994, PLMS merged with the Reproduction of Library Materials Section to form the Preservation and Reformatting Section (PARS).
For more history, see:
Miriam Palm, "RTSD and ALCTS: A Personal History Through the Eyes of Our Leaders" in Commemorating the Past, Celebrating the Present, Creating the Future: Papers in Observance of the 50th Anniversary of the Association for Library Collections & Technical Services ed. by Pamela Bluh (Chicago: ALCTS Publishing, 2007).
This book was created to celebrate the first 50 years of RTSD/ALCTS. This first chapter of the book is an overview of the history of the association with a collection of rememberances from member leaders.