Appointments or nominations to ALCTS division and section committees, subcommittees, and task forces are governed by a number of guidelines that have been established by the ALA Council or the ALCTS Board. Among the basic qualifications for a candidate for a committee position are:
- must be a personal member of ALA;
- must be a member of ALCTS and the pertinent section;
- must attend Annual Conferences and Midwinter Meetings during the term of office;
- must be able to participate in the meetings and activities of the committees;
- must be interested in the subject area of the committee;
- must be able to work between conferences as requires to complete work.