- Is the chief executive officer of ALCTS and insures that the ALCTS Bylaws are observed and the decisions of the Board of Directors and of the membership are carried out.
- Serves as a voting member of the ALCTS Board and Executive Committee and attends and presides at all ALCTS Board meetings and Executive Committee meetings.
- Plans the agenda for Board meetings in coordination with the Executive Director and the Executive Committee and recommends to the Board such action as is deemed in the interest of the Association.
- Plans and directs the objectives and activities of the Division.
- Provides communication and coordination for the Division and insures that programs are responsive to ALCTS membership needs.
- Appoints committee members or representatives when posts become vacant or when new ones are created during the year of office.
- Keeps abreast of ALCTS activities by attending as many meetings as possible of the divisional committees, such as the Budget and Finance Committee, and the sectional executive committees, during Midwinter Meeting and Annual Conference.
- Keeps the Board and Executive Committee informed of all actions and activities by forwarding copies of all documents.
- Prepares and submits an Annual Report to ALA Council. Updates the report to include events at Annual Conference; the updated report is printed in LRTS.
- Writes bimonthly column for ALCTS Newsletter Online.
- Serves as Board liaison to the Fundraising Committee.
- Insures that necessary reports and records are maintained.
- Consults with the Board of Directors and carries out Executive Director's annual performance evaluation. Submits a written recommendation to ALA Senior Associate Executive Director.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Board of Directors.
- Serves as a voting member of the Board and the Executive Committee and attends all meetings of the Board and the Executive Committee.
- Serves as Board liaison to the Program Committee.
- Appoints the chairs of divisional committees and the members, coordinating this activity with the committee chairs whenever possible.
- Makes appointments of representatives and liaisons as will serve during the forthcoming term as president.
- Plans agendas for Board meetings in coordination with the President, Executive Director, and the Executive Committee.
- Plans the activities and programs to be emphasized during his/her term of office, in accordance with the needs of the Division.
- Presides at Board meetings, Executive Committee meetings, and membership meetings in the absence of the President.
- Is a member of the ALA Committee on Appointments.
- Keeps abreast of ALCTS activities by attending as many meetings as possible of the divisional committees, such as the Budget and Finance Committee, and the sectional executive committees during Midwinter Meeting and Annual Conference.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Board of Directors or the president.
- Stands ready to take the president's place when called upon to do so.
- Serves as a voting member of the Board and the Executive Committee and attends all meetings of the Board of Directors and the Executive Committee.
- Serves as Board liaison to the Leadership Development Committee. Provides information to the Board related to activities and experiences while serving as president and president-elect. Performs duties as assigned by the Board of Directors or the president.
Officers of Sections and the Council of Regional Groups
- Coordinates the plans, activities and programs, assuring that they are responsive to the needs of members and consistent with ALCTS procedures.
- Sits as a voting member of the ALCTS Board and attends all ALCTS Board meetings, representing the section/CRG.
- Reports to the ALCTS Board the Activities, programs, publications, workshops, institutes, etc., of the section, and makes recommendations regarding them.
- Conducts the Midwinter and Annual meetings of the executive committee, sets the agenda in consultation with committee members, and recommends to the executive committee such action as is deemed to be in the interest of the section/CRG.
- Sees that bylaws are observed by officers and members of the section/CRG and that the orders of the executive committee and of the section/CRG are carried out.
- Verifies that a section Nominating Committee has been selected.
- Prepares the annual report of the section for the ALCTS Newsletter Online.
- Verifies that section/CRG and committee minutes and reports are made.
- Attends as many meetings as possible of the section's/CRG's committees during the Midwinter Meeting and the Annual Conference.
- Appoints committee members or representatives whose posts are created or become vacant during the year in office.
- Schedules executive committee meetings through the ALA Conference Services Office, notifies committee members well in advance of the time, date and place of meetings, prepares the agenda, and presides over meetings.
- Keeps the chair-elect and the Executive Director informed of all actions and activities by forwarding copies of all documents. Whenever policy matters are involved, copies are also sent to the president.
- Appoints committee members and chairs, coordinating this activity with the current section/CRG and committee chairpersons whenever possible.
- Makes appointments of representatives and liaison, who will serve during the term as chair.
- Sits as a voting member of the executive committee and attends all executive committee meetings.
- Attends as many meetings as possible of the section's/CRG's committees, during the Midwinter Meeting and Annual Conference, to assist in planning activities and to become better informed.
- Assesses the needs of the section/CRG, and plans the activities and programs to be emphasized during his/her term of office.
- Stands ready to take the chair's place when called upon to do so.
- Performs such other duties as the chair or the executive committee may assign.
- Is encouraged to attend meetings of the ALCTS Board of Directors as an observer.
- Serves as contact person for the ALCTS office to resolve problems with scheduling, e.g., missing schedule forms, conflicts with other meetings, etc.
- Sits as a voting member of the section/CRG executive committee and attends all section executive committee meetings.
- Takes attendance and records minutes at section/CRG executive committee meetings and submits the minutes to members of the executive committee and the Executive Director, ALCTS.
- Maintains records and forwards them to successor immediately after leaving office.
- Tallies votes as needed.
- Assigns document numbers to documents distributed to the section/CRG executive committee.
- Acts as section/CRG web master, if so designated.
- Performs such other duties as the section/CRG chair and the executive committee directs.